|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marchman promise to send a note to Elizabeth's uncle proclaiming?
2. Why does Lucinda think Ian is the grandson of the Duke of Stanhope?
3. Who does Elizabeth request to come pick her up early from the excursion?
4. After Elizabeth asks Ian questions over dinner, what does Ian think about her?
5. Who is in charge of finding a husband for Elizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fact does Lucinda overhear when she is eavesdropping on Ian's conversations?
2. How does Sir Frances Belhaven respond to Elizabeth after their first date?
3. What is a duenna?
4. What happens when Elizabeth attempts to make breakfast for the first time?
5. How does Elizabeth react when she realizes that her traveling group has left without her?
6. What do Elizabeth and Ian discuss over their first meal together in the cottage?
7. What problem arises when Ian and his friend Jake arrive at the house in Scotland?
8. Why does Lord Everly accuse Ian of cheating?
9. Who is Duncan?
10. Why does Elizabeth run away from Ian after their meal at the cottage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Elizabeth finds herself alone with Ian for the first time, she acts differently than she did when meeting with any of the other romantic suitors. First, explain how Elizabeth acted leading around men leading up to her meeting with Ian at the cottage. Then, compare / contrast that behavior with Elizabeth's behavior at the cottage. What is it about Ian that prompts Elizabeth to act so out of character?
Essay Topic 2
When Robert returns to Havenhurst after going missing for so many years, he returns with a mouth full of lies. First, create a list of the lies Robert spreads upon returning home. What do you think his motivations were in spreading all these terrible lies? Then, describe what happened to Elizabeth when she listened to and believed her brother's lies? How was her life altered by his return?
Essay Topic 3
Ian's relationship with his grandfather, the Duke of Stanhope, is a strained one. First, explain what Ian's relationship with his grandfather was like before he met Elizabeth. Then, compare / contrast that the relationship he had with his grandfather after he met Elizabeth. What was the catalyst to the change in this relationship? By the end of the novel, do you think Ian regrets reaching out to his grandfather again? Why or why not?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)