|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters points out that both Elizabeth and Ian are missing from the excursion in the city?
2. Which of the following activities is Jake most concerned with during the weekend at his home?
3. During their argument at Jake's house, what does Elizabeth threaten Ian with?
4. After telling Ian that she knows who he is, what does Lucinda request of him?
5. Why does Elizabeth turn down Ian's request to meet him after the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Elizabeth and Ian discuss over their first meal together in the cottage?
2. How does Ian realize that Elizabeth didn't set him up in the greenhouse, but someone else did?
3. How does Elizabeth react the first time Ian kisses her?
4. How does Lord John Marchman react to Elizabeth after their first date together?
5. Why doesn't Elizabeth think that Ian will be waiting for her at the cottage?
6. Who is Lord John Marchman?
7. Who is Viscount Mondevale?
8. Who is Sir Frances Belhaven?
9. Who raised Elizabeth when she was growing up?
10. How doe Elizabeth and Ian Thornton meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gambling had a large effect on the Cameron family's life. First, describe Elizabeth's father's gambling habit and the way it affected his family's life. Then, compare / contrast the gambling habits of Elizabeth's father and her brother. What is the same about their habits? What is different? Finally, explain how Elizabeth's father's gambling habits affected his family even long after his death.
Essay Topic 2
When Elizabeth finds herself alone with Ian for the first time, she acts differently than she did when meeting with any of the other romantic suitors. First, explain how Elizabeth acted leading around men leading up to her meeting with Ian at the cottage. Then, compare / contrast that behavior with Elizabeth's behavior at the cottage. What is it about Ian that prompts Elizabeth to act so out of character?
Essay Topic 3
Elizabeth had many accomplices in her eventful relationship with Ian. Choose two of these characters and describe their roles in ensuring that Ian and Elizabeth end up together. Then, compare / contrast the way they felt about Elizabeth pursuing a man rather than the other way around. Do you think the relationship between Elizabeth and Ian would have survived had it not been for the meddling of these characters? Why or why not?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)