|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elizabeth believe the note requesting a meeting is from?
2. After they kiss for the first time, what does Ian confess to Elizabeth?
3. Which of the following men is considered to be the wealthiest?
4. In what room of the house does Marchman spend most of his time with Elizabeth?
5. Who hosts the party where Elizabeth meets Ian Thornton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lord Everly accuse Ian of cheating?
2. How does Ian realize that Elizabeth didn't set him up in the greenhouse, but someone else did?
3. Who is Sir Frances Belhaven?
4. Why is Elizabeth in danger of losing her home?
5. How does Elizabeth trick Sir Frances Belhaven into thinking that she is not marriage material?
6. What happens during the duel between Ian and Robert?
7. What is a duenna?
8. What do Elizabeth and Ian discuss over their first meal together in the cottage?
9. How does Elizabeth react the first time Ian kisses her?
10. How does Sir Frances Belhaven respond to Elizabeth after their first date?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Elizabeth is first being courted by her suitors, she alters much about herself in order to attract a wealthy mate. First, explain what Elizabeth changed or hid about herself in order to attract men. Why did Elizabeth feel that she could not show her true self in the quest for love? How did the men react to this altered version of Elizabeth's character? How does Elizabeth's alterations directly represent the role of women during this time in high society?
Essay Topic 2
When Robert returns to Havenhurst after going missing for so many years, he returns with a mouth full of lies. First, create a list of the lies Robert spreads upon returning home. What do you think his motivations were in spreading all these terrible lies? Then, describe what happened to Elizabeth when she listened to and believed her brother's lies? How was her life altered by his return?
Essay Topic 3
When Robert encounters Elizabeth and Ian in a romantic embrace, he challenges Ian to a duel. First, explain why Robert reacted so violently to his sister's embrace. Then, explain why Robert and Ian were unfortunately matched for the duel. Finally, describe the outcome of the duel, explaining which man was more severely injured, and how.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)