|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Elizabeth when she was orphaned?
2. Which of the following characters points out that both Elizabeth and Ian are missing from the excursion in the city?
3. Who hosts the party where Elizabeth meets Ian Thornton?
4. What is the one thing Robert claims Elizabeth is missing in her personality?
5. Which of the following is true about Elizabeth's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Elizabeth and Lucinda unexpectedly arrive at the cottage in Scotland?
2. What do Elizabeth and Ian discuss over their first meal together in the cottage?
3. Why doesn't anyone come to Ian's defense with Lord Everly is accusing him of cheating?
4. How does Lord John Marchman react to Elizabeth after their first date together?
5. What problem arises when Ian and his friend Jake arrive at the house in Scotland?
6. How does Ian realize that Elizabeth didn't set him up in the greenhouse, but someone else did?
7. Why does Elizabeth run away from Ian after their meal at the cottage?
8. What fact does Lucinda overhear when she is eavesdropping on Ian's conversations?
9. Why does Elizabeth's family decide that it is time for her to be married?
10. Who is Lord John Marchman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ian's relationship with his grandfather, the Duke of Stanhope, is a strained one. First, explain what Ian's relationship with his grandfather was like before he met Elizabeth. Then, compare / contrast that the relationship he had with his grandfather after he met Elizabeth. What was the catalyst to the change in this relationship? By the end of the novel, do you think Ian regrets reaching out to his grandfather again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Ian was on trial for murder, Elizabeth rushed home to be at his side. First, explain how Elizabeth managed to convince the jury of Ian's innocence. Then, explain Ian's reaction to Elizabeth's testimony. How does Ian's reaction to the testimony reflect back to his feelings about his family dog after the house fire? What does this reaction tell the reader about Ian's character?
Essay Topic 3
When Elizabeth is snooping around Ian's home, she finds a treasure box from his childhood. First, explain where Elizabeth found this treasure box, and why it was an unusual place for a lady of her standing to be snooping. Then, explain what items Elizabeth found stored in the treasure box and why Ian had kept these items for all these years. Finally, describe Ian's reaction to seeing the treasure box again. What explanation does he give to Elizabeth for keeping it hidden all this time?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)