|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elizabeth bring with her, disguised as her aunt, to chaperon the dates?
2. Which of the following characteristics is NOT important in the search for Elizabeth's husband?
3. Where is the tassel hanging that Ian shoots off Robert?
4. Who does Elizabeth request to come pick her up early from the excursion?
5. How does Elizabeth respond when Ian kisses her after their first meal together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who raised Elizabeth when she was growing up?
2. How does Elizabeth's friend, Alex, react when Elizabeth's uncle arranges three dates for her with three different suitors?
3. Why do Jake and Lucinda abandon Elizabeth and Ian at the cottage?
4. Why does Elizabeth's family decide that it is time for her to be married?
5. What happens when Elizabeth attempts to make breakfast for the first time?
6. Why does Lord Everly accuse Ian of cheating?
7. Why does Elizabeth think that Valerie tricked her into meeting Ian at the greenhouse?
8. How does Elizabeth react the first time Ian kisses her?
9. What does Ian accuse Elizabeth of when he meets her at the greenhouse?
10. How doe Elizabeth and Ian Thornton meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Elizabeth finds herself alone with Ian for the first time, she acts differently than she did when meeting with any of the other romantic suitors. First, explain how Elizabeth acted leading around men leading up to her meeting with Ian at the cottage. Then, compare / contrast that behavior with Elizabeth's behavior at the cottage. What is it about Ian that prompts Elizabeth to act so out of character?
Essay Topic 2
Ian's relationship with his grandfather, the Duke of Stanhope, is a strained one. First, explain what Ian's relationship with his grandfather was like before he met Elizabeth. Then, compare / contrast that the relationship he had with his grandfather after he met Elizabeth. What was the catalyst to the change in this relationship? By the end of the novel, do you think Ian regrets reaching out to his grandfather again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ian is from Scotland, the land he still returns to and calls his home. First, describe Ian's life in Scotland. Then, compare / contrast that to Ian's life in England. How does Ian's life change when he takes over his grandfather's title in London? What is he giving up in order to marry Elizabeth? What is he gaining?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)