|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marchman feel about Belhaven?
2. If Elizabeth were to leave Jake's house and travel to the nearest city, how long would it take her to arrive there?
3. Which of the following characteristics is NOT important in the search for Elizabeth's husband?
4. How long is the party where Elizabeth meets Ian meant to last?
5. What does Robert confess to Ian after walking in on him with Elizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem arises when Ian and his friend Jake arrive at the house in Scotland?
2. What fact does Lucinda overhear when she is eavesdropping on Ian's conversations?
3. Why does Elizabeth run away from Ian after their meal at the cottage?
4. Who is Lord John Marchman?
5. Who is Viscount Mondevale?
6. What rumors does Valerie begin to spread about Elizabeth and Ian?
7. How doe Elizabeth and Ian Thornton meet?
8. How does Elizabeth's friend, Alex, react when Elizabeth's uncle arranges three dates for her with three different suitors?
9. How does Sir Frances Belhaven respond to Elizabeth after their first date?
10. Why does Elizabeth think that Valerie tricked her into meeting Ian at the greenhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Letter writing is a crucial element to communication, and mis-communication, throughout this novel of high jinks. Choose one incident when letter writing was used as a method of confusion. Then, compare / contrast that to an instance with letter writing was used as a method of clarification. Do you think this novel could have proceeded if there were more methods of communication available, such as telephones or emails? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Elizabeth is snooping around Ian's home, she finds a treasure box from his childhood. First, explain where Elizabeth found this treasure box, and why it was an unusual place for a lady of her standing to be snooping. Then, explain what items Elizabeth found stored in the treasure box and why Ian had kept these items for all these years. Finally, describe Ian's reaction to seeing the treasure box again. What explanation does he give to Elizabeth for keeping it hidden all this time?
Essay Topic 3
Gossip is used as a way to both ruin and repair Elizabeth's reputation in high society. First, create a list of rumors that are spread about Elizabeth throughout the course of the novel. Then, choose one scene in which gossip is used for good, and one scene in which gossip is used for ill, and compare / contrast the ways this gossip affected Elizabeth's life. What do you think is McNaught's overarching message about gossip in this novel?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)