|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following activities most interests Sir Belhaven?
2. How does Elizabeth react when she sees Ian flirting with other women at the party?
3. Where is the tassel hanging that Ian shoots off Robert?
4. After the duel with Ian, how many men does Elizabeth's uncle set her up on dates with?
5. What is the weather like when Elizabeth and Lucinda sit on the curb outside Jake's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Duncan?
2. Why does Elizabeth's family decide that it is time for her to be married?
3. Why does Elizabeth think that Valerie tricked her into meeting Ian at the greenhouse?
4. What does the mysterious note that Elizabeth receives tell her to do?
5. Who is Lord John Marchman?
6. Why does Elizabeth run away from Ian after their meal at the cottage?
7. Why do Elizabeth and Lucinda unexpectedly arrive at the cottage in Scotland?
8. Why doesn't Elizabeth think that Ian will be waiting for her at the cottage?
9. What rumors does Valerie begin to spread about Elizabeth and Ian?
10. Why does Lord Everly accuse Ian of cheating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Elizabeth is first being courted by her suitors, she alters much about herself in order to attract a wealthy mate. First, explain what Elizabeth changed or hid about herself in order to attract men. Why did Elizabeth feel that she could not show her true self in the quest for love? How did the men react to this altered version of Elizabeth's character? How does Elizabeth's alterations directly represent the role of women during this time in high society?
Essay Topic 2
When Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at a card game, Elizabeth immediately jumps to his defense. First, explain why Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at the game. Was Lord Everly telling the truth about Ian, or was he trying to save his own reputation? How can you tell? Then, explain how Elizabeth used her intelligence and wit to save Ian Thornton from a potentially dangerous duel. What was the direct result of Elizabeth meddling in Ian Thornton's life?
Essay Topic 3
When Robert returns to Havenhurst after going missing for so many years, he returns with a mouth full of lies. First, create a list of the lies Robert spreads upon returning home. What do you think his motivations were in spreading all these terrible lies? Then, describe what happened to Elizabeth when she listened to and believed her brother's lies? How was her life altered by his return?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)