|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Jake attempts to make breakfast for his guests, Lucinda and Elizabeth?
2. Who accepts Count Mondevale's proposal to marry Elizabeth?
3. Which of the following characters eavesdrops and overhears Ian discussing his first impressions of Elizabeth?
4. How old was Elizabeth when she was orphaned?
5. Why do Lucinda and Elizabeth arrive at Jake's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elizabeth trick Sir Frances Belhaven into thinking that she is not marriage material?
2. Why do Elizabeth and Lucinda unexpectedly arrive at the cottage in Scotland?
3. Who raised Elizabeth when she was growing up?
4. How does Ian realize that Elizabeth didn't set him up in the greenhouse, but someone else did?
5. Who is Lord John Marchman?
6. What do Elizabeth and Ian discuss over their first meal together in the cottage?
7. What is a duenna?
8. Why do Jake and Lucinda abandon Elizabeth and Ian at the cottage?
9. Why doesn't anyone come to Ian's defense with Lord Everly is accusing him of cheating?
10. How does Elizabeth react the first time Ian kisses her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Elizabeth's parents died, she was raised primarily with the help of her elder brother, Robert, and her faithful servants. Fist, explain how Elizabeth's life was immediately impacted upon her parents' deaths. Then, compare / contrast the ways Robert and the servants affected her childhood. Which authority figure seemed to have the greatest impact on Elizabeth's upbringing?
Essay Topic 2
When Elizabeth is snooping around Ian's home, she finds a treasure box from his childhood. First, explain where Elizabeth found this treasure box, and why it was an unusual place for a lady of her standing to be snooping. Then, explain what items Elizabeth found stored in the treasure box and why Ian had kept these items for all these years. Finally, describe Ian's reaction to seeing the treasure box again. What explanation does he give to Elizabeth for keeping it hidden all this time?
Essay Topic 3
When Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at a card game, Elizabeth immediately jumps to his defense. First, explain why Ian Thornton is accused of cheating at the game. Was Lord Everly telling the truth about Ian, or was he trying to save his own reputation? How can you tell? Then, explain how Elizabeth used her intelligence and wit to save Ian Thornton from a potentially dangerous duel. What was the direct result of Elizabeth meddling in Ian Thornton's life?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)