|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the duel with Ian, how many men does Elizabeth's uncle set her up on dates with?
2. How does Elizabeth travel from one city to another when her group leaves her behind?
3. After they kiss for the first time, what does Ian confess to Elizabeth?
4. Why doesn't Elizabeth leave the party with her traveling group?
5. Who is in charge of finding a husband for Elizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How doe Elizabeth and Ian Thornton meet?
2. How does Elizabeth react when she realizes that her traveling group has left without her?
3. Who raised Elizabeth when she was growing up?
4. What happens when Elizabeth attempts to make breakfast for the first time?
5. Who is Duncan?
6. What do Elizabeth and Ian discuss over their first meal together in the cottage?
7. Why do Jake and Lucinda abandon Elizabeth and Ian at the cottage?
8. Why does Elizabeth think that Valerie tricked her into meeting Ian at the greenhouse?
9. How does Elizabeth react the first time Ian kisses her?
10. What fact does Lucinda overhear when she is eavesdropping on Ian's conversations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Elizabeth saves Ian Thornton from a potential duel with Lord Everly, she meets him outside the party, alone. First, explain how Ian Thornton reacts to Elizabeth's feminine charms at the party. Then, explain how Elizabeth responds to Ian's proposals. Finally, compare / contrast Elizabeth's external and internal feelings about Ian Thornton. How does she represent her feelings for him, and how do these representations compare / contrast with her internal, private feelings about him?
Essay Topic 2
Elizabeth had many accomplices in her eventful relationship with Ian. Choose two of these characters and describe their roles in ensuring that Ian and Elizabeth end up together. Then, compare / contrast the way they felt about Elizabeth pursuing a man rather than the other way around. Do you think the relationship between Elizabeth and Ian would have survived had it not been for the meddling of these characters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Elizabeth is snooping around Ian's home, she finds a treasure box from his childhood. First, explain where Elizabeth found this treasure box, and why it was an unusual place for a lady of her standing to be snooping. Then, explain what items Elizabeth found stored in the treasure box and why Ian had kept these items for all these years. Finally, describe Ian's reaction to seeing the treasure box again. What explanation does he give to Elizabeth for keeping it hidden all this time?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)