Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elizabeth request to come pick her up early from the excursion?
2. In what room of the house does Marchman spend most of his time with Elizabeth?
3. If Elizabeth were to leave Jake's house and travel to the nearest city, how long would it take her to arrive there?
4. Why doesn't Elizabeth leave the party with her traveling group?
5. Why does Elizabeth's family almost lose their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to let him marry her?
2. What rumor does Ian spread about Elizabeth at the ball, changing her status in high society?
3. How does Sir Frances Belhaven respond to Elizabeth after their first date?
4. How does Elizabeth react the first time Ian kisses her?
5. Why does Ian offer to buy Elizabeth's uncle's house?
6. What does Elizabeth's private investigator report to her on the morning of her wedding?
7. How does Ian respond to Elizabeth when she returns to defend his innocence at the trial?
8. Who demands that Elizabeth leave Ian's cottage and return to Havenhurst at once?
9. Why does Lord Everly accuse Ian of cheating?
10. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
Essay Topic 1
The title of the novel, "Almost Heaven" comes up during a conversation in the Epilogue. What was this conversation about? What is the significance of the speaker who utters the words "Almost Heaven"? Based on the context of this conversation, do you find this to be an appropriate title for the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Elizabeth is snooping around Ian's home, she finds a treasure box from his childhood. First, explain where Elizabeth found this treasure box, and why it was an unusual place for a lady of her standing to be snooping. Then, explain what items Elizabeth found stored in the treasure box and why Ian had kept these items for all these years. Finally, describe Ian's reaction to seeing the treasure box again. What explanation does he give to Elizabeth for keeping it hidden all this time?
Essay Topic 3
When Robert returns to Havenhurst after going missing for so many years, he returns with a mouth full of lies. First, create a list of the lies Robert spreads upon returning home. What do you think his motivations were in spreading all these terrible lies? Then, describe what happened to Elizabeth when she listened to and believed her brother's lies? How was her life altered by his return?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)