|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the contract he signs, which of the following is NOT something Ian inherits when his grandfather dies?
(a) His money.
(b) His title.
(c) His debts.
(d) His land.
2. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian that she is planning to leave him?
(a) Because Robert threatened her into silence.
(b) Because she has been sworn to secrecy.
(c) Because she is afraid of his temper.
(d) Because she doesn't think he will care.
3. Why doesn't Roddy Carstairs want to be seen with Elizabeth at the ball?
(a) Because he is afraid of Sir Belhaven's reaction.
(b) Because Elizabeth is such a bad dancer.
(c) Because he thinks Elizabeth is unattractive.
(d) Because Elizabeth has such a bad reputation.
4. What does Elizabeth say when she sees her engagement ring for the first time?
(a) That she does not like the color.
(b) That it's the ring she has always dreamed of.
(c) That she will never take it off.
(d) That it is clearly too expensive.
5. Which of the following best describes Ian's home?
(a) A modest house.
(b) A shack.
(c) A cottage.
(d) A mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accepts the engagement proposal on Elizabeth's behalf?
2. Where does Elizabeth discover Ian's childhood treasure box?
3. Why is Elizabeth willing to accept an engagement to a man she is not in love with?
4. How many women is Ian expected to dance with before he can dance with Elizabeth?
5. Which of the following committees does Elizabeth join after her wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ian's relationship with his grandfather so strained?
2. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
3. What stipulations does Elizabeth make before accepting her engagement to Ian?
4. What explanation does Robert give to Elizabeth about his disappearance when he returns to Havenhurst?
5. What does Elizabeth discover hidden in a tree house near Ian's cottage?
6. What rumor does Ian spread about Elizabeth at the ball, changing her status in high society?
7. Who demands that Elizabeth leave Ian's cottage and return to Havenhurst at once?
8. How does Ian react when Belhaven tries to monopolize Elizabeth's time at the ball?
9. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to let him marry her?
10. How was Ian's family killed?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)