|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After their engagement, what does Elizabeth frequently chastise Ian about?
(a) His spending habits.
(b) His religious fervor.
(c) His flirtatious nature.
(d) His card playing.
2. What does Robert show to Elizabeth in the hopes of proving his violent stories?
(a) Open wounds.
3. Whose memory does Ian keep alive with the contents of the treasure box?
(a) His parents'.
(b) His dog's.
(c) His grandfather's.
(d) His brother's.
4. What does Elizabeth say when she sees her engagement ring for the first time?
(a) That it is clearly too expensive.
(b) That it's the ring she has always dreamed of.
(c) That she will never take it off.
(d) That she does not like the color.
5. Where does Alex's husband claim Elizabeth is on the evening Ian cannot find her?
(a) At church.
(b) On a date.
(c) At the theater.
(d) At a ball.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accepts the engagement proposal on Elizabeth's behalf?
2. Who delivers the news to Elizabeth that she is no longer engaged to Sir Belhaven?
3. After Ian kisses her on a long walk through the woods, why is Elizabeth overcome with embarrassment?
4. After arriving to Ian's house, what does Elizabeth promise to teach Ian to do?
5. What ailment does Elizabeth claim is keeping her from returning to London from Havenhurst?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ian react when he sees Havenhurst for the first time?
2. What rumor does Ian spread about Elizabeth at the ball, changing her status in high society?
3. Why does Elizabeth constantly chide Ian about his spending habits?
4. How does Elizabeth react when it is time for her and her husband to retire for the evening after their wedding ceremony?
5. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
6. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
7. How does Ian react when Belhaven tries to monopolize Elizabeth's time at the ball?
8. How does Elizabeth feel about shopping at the town markets?
9. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to let him marry her?
10. Why does Ian offer to buy Elizabeth's uncle's house?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)