|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Ian and Elizabeth pretend NOT to know one another at the ball at Ian's house?
(a) Because they are playing a game with their friends.
(b) Because they realize they truly don't know each other.
(c) Because they are having a fight.
(d) Because that is customary for courting couples.
2. How was Ian's family killed?
(a) From small pox.
(b) In a house fire.
(c) In a boat accident.
(d) In an Indian attack.
3. Which of the following committees does Elizabeth join after her wedding?
(a) A church committee.
(b) A school committee.
(c) A hospital committee.
(d) A neighborhood committee.
4. After Ian kisses her on a long walk through the woods, why is Elizabeth overcome with embarrassment?
(a) Because she is still engaged to another man.
(b) Because she knows she has been lying to Ian.
(c) Because she stole Ian's childhood diary.
(d) Because she does not understand her feelings.
5. What does Elizabeth enjoy most about shopping at the markets in the village?
(a) Bargaining for prices.
(b) The handmade materials.
(c) The feeling of independence.
(d) The walk through the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ian have Robert sent after their duel over Elizabeth's honor?
2. In which city does Ian meet up with his long-lost grandfather?
3. What scene does Ian recreate for Elizabeth on their wedding day?
4. What does Robert show to Elizabeth in the hopes of proving his violent stories?
5. Why is Elizabeth willing to accept an engagement to a man she is not in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Robert give to Elizabeth about his disappearance when he returns to Havenhurst?
2. What is Elizabeth's initial reaction to Montmayne?
3. What does Elizabeth's private investigator report to her on the morning of her wedding?
4. How does Elizabeth feel about shopping at the town markets?
5. Why does Ian offer to buy Elizabeth's uncle's house?
6. What does Duncan tell Ian about Elizabeth's circumstances after she leaves the cottage?
7. What rumor does Ian spread about Elizabeth at the ball, changing her status in high society?
8. How does Elizabeth react when it is time for her and her husband to retire for the evening after their wedding ceremony?
9. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
10. How does the news from the private investigator affect Elizabeth's decisions on her wedding day?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)