|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Ian kisses her on a long walk through the woods, why is Elizabeth overcome with embarrassment?
(a) Because she stole Ian's childhood diary.
(b) Because she is still engaged to another man.
(c) Because she knows she has been lying to Ian.
(d) Because she does not understand her feelings.
2. What does the investigator dislike most about Ian?
(a) His wealth.
(b) His charm.
(c) His heritage.
(d) His dancing skills.
3. After their engagement, what does Elizabeth frequently chastise Ian about?
(a) His spending habits.
(b) His religious fervor.
(c) His flirtatious nature.
(d) His card playing.
4. How does Ian react to seeing the items Elizabeth has removed from his treasure box?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He is shocked.
5. What claim about Ian does Robert make upon returning home?
(a) That Ian is insane.
(b) That Ian is a murderer.
(c) That Ian is a thief.
(d) That Ian is an adulturer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Ian's family killed?
2. What does Robert show to Elizabeth in the hopes of proving his violent stories?
3. When Ian cannot find Elizabeth after meeting with her family, where does he go to pass time?
4. Where did Ian have Robert sent after their duel over Elizabeth's honor?
5. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian the truth about her financial situation with Havenhurst?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
2. What explanation does Robert give to Elizabeth about his disappearance when he returns to Havenhurst?
3. Why does Elizabeth constantly chide Ian about his spending habits?
4. What is Elizabeth's initial reaction to Montmayne?
5. Who demands that Elizabeth leave Ian's cottage and return to Havenhurst at once?
6. What new things does Elizabeth learn about Ian after they are married?
7. What rumor does Ian spread about Elizabeth at the ball, changing her status in high society?
8. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
9. Why does Ian offer to buy Elizabeth's uncle's house?
10. How does Elizabeth prepare for her escape from Ian with Robert?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)