|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following objects is NOT hidden in Ian's childhood treasure box?
(a) A sketchbook.
(b) A diary.
(c) A ring.
(d) A seashell.
2. Upon returning home with her new husband, what is the first question that crosses Elizabeth's mind?
(a) Is Ian embarrassed to share our marital bed?
(b) Where will Ian sleep?
(c) Did Ian enjoy the wedding reception?
(d) Who will cook us breakfast?
3. Who accepts the engagement proposal on Elizabeth's behalf?
(a) Her maid.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her uncle.
4. How does Ian react to seeing the items Elizabeth has removed from his treasure box?
(a) He is shocked.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He is angry.
5. When Elizabeth enters the ball with her escort, how do the other guests react?
(a) They gossip about her.
(b) They ignore her.
(c) They welcome her to the party.
(d) They toast her for her bravery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
2. What does the investigator dislike most about Ian?
3. What is Elizabeth doing when Robert returns to Havenhurst?
4. Why doesn't Roddy Carstairs want to be seen with Elizabeth at the ball?
5. At the time Elizabeth leaves Ian's house to accept the engagement, how much time has passed since the ill-fated meeting in the greenhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth constantly chide Ian about his spending habits?
2. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
3. What does Elizabeth discover hidden in a tree house near Ian's cottage?
4. How does the news from the private investigator affect Elizabeth's decisions on her wedding day?
5. How does Ian react when Belhaven tries to monopolize Elizabeth's time at the ball?
6. Who demands that Elizabeth leave Ian's cottage and return to Havenhurst at once?
7. Why does Ian offer to buy Elizabeth's uncle's house?
8. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
9. What is Elizabeth's initial reaction to Montmayne?
10. What explanation does Robert give to Elizabeth about his disappearance when he returns to Havenhurst?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)