|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following men apologizes to Elizabeth for shaming her two years previously?
(a) Count Mondevale.
(b) Sir Belhaven.
(c) Ian Thornton.
(d) The Duke of Stanhope.
2. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to accept his marriage proposal?
(a) He pays them a large sum of money.
(b) He threatens them with physical violence.
(c) He explains that the two are really in love.
(d) He brings the vicar to pray with them as a family.
3. What claim about Ian does Robert make upon returning home?
(a) That Ian is an adulturer.
(b) That Ian is insane.
(c) That Ian is a thief.
(d) That Ian is a murderer.
4. What does Alex promise to do before Elizabeth gets married?
(a) Tell Ian how she truly feels.
(b) Run away with her.
(c) Repair her reputation.
(d) Save Havenhurst.
5. How does Ian's grandfather react to seeing him after so many years away from home?
(a) He is angered by Ian's return.
(b) He is confused by Ian's return.
(c) He is pleased by Ian's return.
(d) He ignores Ian's return.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elizabeth doing when Robert returns to Havenhurst?
2. How does Ian react to seeing the items Elizabeth has removed from his treasure box?
3. To whom is the Dowager Duchess related?
4. Who does Lucinda confess everything to before leaving Ian's cottage with Elizabeth for the engagement?
5. What does the investigator dislike most about Ian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
2. Why does Elizabeth constantly chide Ian about his spending habits?
3. What rumor does Ian spread about Elizabeth at the ball, changing her status in high society?
4. What is Elizabeth's initial reaction to Montmayne?
5. How does Elizabeth react when it is time for her and her husband to retire for the evening after their wedding ceremony?
6. What stipulations does Elizabeth make before accepting her engagement to Ian?
7. Why does Elizabeth prefer to marry an older man?
8. Who demands that Elizabeth leave Ian's cottage and return to Havenhurst at once?
9. What new things does Elizabeth learn about Ian after they are married?
10. What does Elizabeth discover hidden in a tree house near Ian's cottage?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)