|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the private investigator claim probably killed Robert?
(a) He killed himself.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His gambling bookie.
2. What is the title Ian holds within his family?
(a) Lord Everly.
(b) Marques of Kensington.
(c) King of England.
(d) Duke of Stanhope.
3. What claim about Ian does Robert make upon returning home?
(a) That Ian is a murderer.
(b) That Ian is a thief.
(c) That Ian is insane.
(d) That Ian is an adulturer.
4. Who does Lucinda confess everything to before leaving Ian's cottage with Elizabeth for the engagement?
5. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian that she is planning to leave him?
(a) Because Robert threatened her into silence.
(b) Because she has been sworn to secrecy.
(c) Because she doesn't think he will care.
(d) Because she is afraid of his temper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Robert claim to have been working during the years he was away from home?
2. According to the contract he signs, which of the following is NOT something Ian inherits when his grandfather dies?
3. How was Ian's family killed?
4. Which of the following aspects of marriage is most important to Elizabeth when she chooses a suitor?
5. What does Elizabeth say when she sees her engagement ring for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumor does Ian spread about Elizabeth at the ball, changing her status in high society?
2. What does Elizabeth's private investigator report to her on the morning of her wedding?
3. How does Ian react when Belhaven tries to monopolize Elizabeth's time at the ball?
4. Why is Ian's relationship with his grandfather so strained?
5. Who is the Dowager Duchess?
6. Why does Elizabeth constantly chide Ian about his spending habits?
7. How does the news from the private investigator affect Elizabeth's decisions on her wedding day?
8. What explanation does Robert give to Elizabeth about his disappearance when he returns to Havenhurst?
9. Who demands that Elizabeth leave Ian's cottage and return to Havenhurst at once?
10. What stipulations does Elizabeth make before accepting her engagement to Ian?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)