|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following aspects of marriage is most important to Elizabeth when she chooses a suitor?
2. What does Robert show to Elizabeth in the hopes of proving his violent stories?
(b) Open wounds.
3. What is Ian's grandfather doing when he must wait impatiently before rushing off to find Elizabeth?
(a) He is reading.
(b) He is sleeping.
(c) He is dressing.
(d) He is bathing.
4. Whose engagement proposal forces Elizabeth to leave Ian's cottage and return home?
5. In which city does Ian meet up with his long-lost grandfather?
6. Who delivers the news to Elizabeth that she is no longer engaged to Sir Belhaven?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Sir Belhaven.
7. Why do Ian and Elizabeth pretend NOT to know one another at the ball at Ian's house?
(a) Because they realize they truly don't know each other.
(b) Because that is customary for courting couples.
(c) Because they are playing a game with their friends.
(d) Because they are having a fight.
8. What is Ian's reaction to Havenhurst the first time he sees it?
(a) He is amazed at its splendor.
(b) He is not impressed.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is filled with nostalgia.
9. What does Elizabeth say when she sees her engagement ring for the first time?
(a) That she does not like the color.
(b) That she will never take it off.
(c) That it is clearly too expensive.
(d) That it's the ring she has always dreamed of.
10. On which important day does Elizabeth finally hear back from her private investigator?
(a) On Independence Day.
(b) On her birthday.
(c) On her wedding day.
(d) On Christmas Day.
11. Who does the private investigator claim probably killed Robert?
(a) His uncle.
(c) His gambling bookie.
(d) He killed himself.
12. What does the investigator dislike most about Ian?
(a) His heritage.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His charm.
(d) His dancing skills.
13. How was Ian's family killed?
(a) From small pox.
(b) In an Indian attack.
(c) In a house fire.
(d) In a boat accident.
14. Who does Lucinda confess everything to before leaving Ian's cottage with Elizabeth for the engagement?
15. Where does Robert claim to have been working during the years he was away from home?
(a) On a lobster boat.
(b) In the mines.
(c) In a potato field.
(d) In a labor camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ian insult, scaring the man away from Elizabeth for the duration of the ball at his home?
2. After arriving to Ian's house, what does Elizabeth promise to teach Ian to do?
3. What bombshell does Duncan drop on Ian after Elizabeth leaves the house to accept her engagement?
4. Where does Alex's husband claim Elizabeth is on the evening Ian cannot find her?
5. How does Ian react to seeing the items Elizabeth has removed from his treasure box?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)