|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alex promise to do before Elizabeth gets married?
(a) Repair her reputation.
(b) Run away with her.
(c) Tell Ian how she truly feels.
(d) Save Havenhurst.
2. When Elizabeth enters the ball with her escort, how do the other guests react?
(a) They gossip about her.
(b) They ignore her.
(c) They toast her for her bravery.
(d) They welcome her to the party.
3. When Ian cannot find Elizabeth after meeting with her family, where does he go to pass time?
(a) The zoo.
(b) The library.
(c) A bar.
(d) A church.
4. How does Elizabeth react to seeing Ian's home for the first time?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She is embarrassed.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is apathetic.
5. Why is Elizabeth willing to accept an engagement to a man she is not in love with?
(a) Because she is desperate for money.
(b) Because her family insists on the wedding.
(c) Because she does not believe in love.
(d) Because she is getting old and does not have many romantic options.
6. At the time Elizabeth leaves Ian's house to accept the engagement, how much time has passed since the ill-fated meeting in the greenhouse?
(a) Two years.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two months.
7. Traditionally, who are the first people to retire after a wedding ceremony?
(a) The benefactors.
(b) The wedding party.
(c) The children.
(d) The bride and groom.
8. Who does Lucinda confess everything to before leaving Ian's cottage with Elizabeth for the engagement?
9. What is Ian's grandfather doing when he must wait impatiently before rushing off to find Elizabeth?
(a) He is reading.
(b) He is sleeping.
(c) He is dressing.
(d) He is bathing.
10. In which city does Ian meet up with his long-lost grandfather?
11. What does Ian offer to buy from Elizabeth's uncle out of anger?
(a) His horses.
(b) His niece.
(c) His shoes.
(d) His house.
12. Which of the following aspects of marriage is most important to Elizabeth when she chooses a suitor?
13. What does Elizabeth enjoy most about shopping at the markets in the village?
(a) The handmade materials.
(b) The feeling of independence.
(c) Bargaining for prices.
(d) The walk through the woods.
14. What ailment does Elizabeth claim is keeping her from returning to London from Havenhurst?
(a) A head cold.
15. What is Ian doing when Elizabeth leaves the cottage to accept her engagement?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alex's husband claim Elizabeth is on the evening Ian cannot find her?
2. Which of the following facts about Ian is true?
3. Whose memory does Ian keep alive with the contents of the treasure box?
4. Which of the following men apologizes to Elizabeth for shaming her two years previously?
5. Why doesn't Roddy Carstairs want to be seen with Elizabeth at the ball?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)