|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian the truth about her financial situation with Havenhurst?
(a) Because she has been sworn to secrecy.
(b) Because she does not know the truth herself.
(c) Because she is embarrassed.
(d) Because she doesn't trust Ian.
2. Traditionally, who are the first people to retire after a wedding ceremony?
(a) The wedding party.
(b) The bride and groom.
(c) The children.
(d) The benefactors.
3. How does Elizabeth react to seeing Ian's home for the first time?
(a) She is embarrassed.
(b) She is apathetic.
(c) She is shocked.
(d) She is confused.
4. What does Ian agree to let Elizabeth alter in order to appease her about their engagement?
(a) The date of their wedding.
(b) Their guest list.
(c) Their finances.
(d) Their wedding contract.
5. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian that she is planning to leave him?
(a) Because Robert threatened her into silence.
(b) Because she has been sworn to secrecy.
(c) Because she is afraid of his temper.
(d) Because she doesn't think he will care.
6. Who does Lucinda confess everything to before leaving Ian's cottage with Elizabeth for the engagement?
7. Which of the following pieces of jewelry does Ian withhold giving to Elizabeth until he is sure she is really in love with him?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A brooch.
(c) A ring.
(d) A bracelet.
8. What does the investigator dislike most about Ian?
(a) His dancing skills.
(b) His charm.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His heritage.
9. What does Elizabeth agree to give to Ian in exchange for financial support for her home in Havenhurst?
(a) Her prized stallion.
(c) Her virginity.
(d) Her hand in marriage.
10. Who accepts the engagement proposal on Elizabeth's behalf?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her maid.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her father.
11. Which of the following adjectives best describes Duncan?
12. What is the name of Ian's home?
13. Which of the following aspects of marriage is most important to Elizabeth when she chooses a suitor?
14. What does Elizabeth promise to refrain from after she is married to Ian?
15. What does Ian realize is holding Elizabeth back from wanting to court with him straight away?
(a) She does not have proper clothing.
(b) She does not know how to dance.
(c) She does not really love him.
(d) She does not have any friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert show to Elizabeth in the hopes of proving his violent stories?
2. What claim about Ian does Robert make upon returning home?
3. What is the name of Alex's husband?
4. What is Elizabeth doing when Robert returns to Havenhurst?
5. What is the name of the man Elizabeth finally gets to escort her after Roddy refuses?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)