|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the private investigator claim probably killed Robert?
(a) His uncle.
(b) He killed himself.
(d) His gambling bookie.
2. Whose engagement proposal forces Elizabeth to leave Ian's cottage and return home?
3. Which of the following men apologizes to Elizabeth for shaming her two years previously?
(a) The Duke of Stanhope.
(b) Sir Belhaven.
(c) Ian Thornton.
(d) Count Mondevale.
4. Where does Alex's husband claim Elizabeth is on the evening Ian cannot find her?
(a) At church.
(b) On a date.
(c) At a ball.
(d) At the theater.
5. After arriving to Ian's house, what does Elizabeth promise to teach Ian to do?
(a) Bait a fishing hook.
(b) Bargain at the market.
(c) Cheat at cards.
(d) Darn socks.
6. What bombshell does Duncan drop on Ian after Elizabeth leaves the house to accept her engagement?
(a) That Elizabeth has been lying to him.
(b) That Elizabeth is very poor.
(c) That Elizabeth never wants to see him again.
(d) That Elizabeth is in love with him.
7. What claim about Ian does Robert make upon returning home?
(a) That Ian is a thief.
(b) That Ian is an adulturer.
(c) That Ian is insane.
(d) That Ian is a murderer.
8. Why do Ian and Elizabeth pretend NOT to know one another at the ball at Ian's house?
(a) Because they are playing a game with their friends.
(b) Because that is customary for courting couples.
(c) Because they realize they truly don't know each other.
(d) Because they are having a fight.
9. Traditionally, who are the first people to retire after a wedding ceremony?
(a) The benefactors.
(b) The children.
(c) The bride and groom.
(d) The wedding party.
10. What does Elizabeth agree to give to Ian in exchange for financial support for her home in Havenhurst?
(b) Her hand in marriage.
(c) Her virginity.
(d) Her prized stallion.
11. What scene does Ian recreate for Elizabeth on their wedding day?
(a) The place where they shared their first dance.
(b) The place where he proposed.
(c) The place where they first met.
(d) The place where they shared their first kiss.
12. What ailment does Elizabeth claim is keeping her from returning to London from Havenhurst?
(a) A head cold.
13. How does Ian's grandfather react to seeing him after so many years away from home?
(a) He is confused by Ian's return.
(b) He is angered by Ian's return.
(c) He is pleased by Ian's return.
(d) He ignores Ian's return.
14. How does Ian react to seeing the items Elizabeth has removed from his treasure box?
(a) He is embarrassed.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is shocked.
(d) He is angry.
15. What does Ian agree to let Elizabeth alter in order to appease her about their engagement?
(a) The date of their wedding.
(b) Their guest list.
(c) Their wedding contract.
(d) Their finances.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Ian's home?
2. What is the name of the man Elizabeth finally gets to escort her after Roddy refuses?
3. What does Ian offer to buy from Elizabeth's uncle out of anger?
4. What is Ian's grandfather doing when he must wait impatiently before rushing off to find Elizabeth?
5. What does Elizabeth enjoy most about shopping at the markets in the village?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)