|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to accept his marriage proposal?
(a) He threatens them with physical violence.
(b) He pays them a large sum of money.
(c) He brings the vicar to pray with them as a family.
(d) He explains that the two are really in love.
2. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
(a) Make Elizabeth fall in love with him.
(b) Convince Elizabeth's family that he is the better man.
(c) Fight Elizabeth's fiance to the death.
(d) Take over his grandfather's title.
3. After arriving to Ian's house, what does Elizabeth promise to teach Ian to do?
(a) Darn socks.
(b) Cheat at cards.
(c) Bargain at the market.
(d) Bait a fishing hook.
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes Duncan?
5. Where does Alex's husband claim Elizabeth is on the evening Ian cannot find her?
(a) At church.
(b) At a ball.
(c) On a date.
(d) At the theater.
6. What ailment does Elizabeth claim is keeping her from returning to London from Havenhurst?
(a) A head cold.
7. Which of the following objects is NOT hidden in Ian's childhood treasure box?
(a) A sketchbook.
(b) A diary.
(c) A seashell.
(d) A ring.
8. What does Elizabeth think motivated Ian's engagement proposal?
9. What is Ian's grandfather doing when he must wait impatiently before rushing off to find Elizabeth?
(a) He is dressing.
(b) He is reading.
(c) He is sleeping.
(d) He is bathing.
10. Where does Robert claim to have been working during the years he was away from home?
(a) In the mines.
(b) In a labor camp.
(c) On a lobster boat.
(d) In a potato field.
11. What is Ian's reaction to Havenhurst the first time he sees it?
(a) He is not impressed.
(b) He is amazed at its splendor.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is filled with nostalgia.
12. How long will Ian and Elizabeth court before announcing their engagement?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two years.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two days.
13. How was Ian's family killed?
(a) In a boat accident.
(b) In an Indian attack.
(c) In a house fire.
(d) From small pox.
14. Which of the following men apologizes to Elizabeth for shaming her two years previously?
(a) Ian Thornton.
(b) Sir Belhaven.
(c) The Duke of Stanhope.
(d) Count Mondevale.
15. What does Elizabeth agree to give to Ian in exchange for financial support for her home in Havenhurst?
(b) Her virginity.
(c) Her prized stallion.
(d) Her hand in marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the Dowager Duchess related?
2. After their engagement, what does Elizabeth frequently chastise Ian about?
3. How many women is Ian expected to dance with before he can dance with Elizabeth?
4. What does Elizabeth sell in order to fund her getaway with Robert?
5. Upon returning home with her new husband, what is the first question that crosses Elizabeth's mind?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)