|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the private investigator claim probably killed Robert?
(a) His gambling bookie.
(b) He killed himself.
(d) His uncle.
2. What claim about Ian does Robert make upon returning home?
(a) That Ian is a murderer.
(b) That Ian is an adulturer.
(c) That Ian is insane.
(d) That Ian is a thief.
3. After their engagement, what does Elizabeth frequently chastise Ian about?
(a) His card playing.
(b) His religious fervor.
(c) His spending habits.
(d) His flirtatious nature.
4. Who accepts the engagement proposal on Elizabeth's behalf?
(a) Her maid.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her uncle.
5. Why did Ian have Robert sent away?
(a) Because Robert didn't want Ian to marry his sister.
(b) Because Robert asked to be sent away.
(c) Because Robert was dangerous.
(d) Because Robert was a thief.
6. When Ian cannot find Elizabeth after meeting with her family, where does he go to pass time?
(a) The library.
(b) A bar.
(c) The zoo.
(d) A church.
7. According to the contract he signs, which of the following is NOT something Ian inherits when his grandfather dies?
(a) His debts.
(b) His land.
(c) His money.
(d) His title.
8. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
(a) Fight Elizabeth's fiance to the death.
(b) Convince Elizabeth's family that he is the better man.
(c) Take over his grandfather's title.
(d) Make Elizabeth fall in love with him.
9. What does Ian offer to buy from Elizabeth's uncle out of anger?
(a) His niece.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His horses.
(d) His house.
10. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian that she is planning to leave him?
(a) Because she is afraid of his temper.
(b) Because she doesn't think he will care.
(c) Because she has been sworn to secrecy.
(d) Because Robert threatened her into silence.
11. What scene does Ian recreate for Elizabeth on their wedding day?
(a) The place where he proposed.
(b) The place where they shared their first kiss.
(c) The place where they first met.
(d) The place where they shared their first dance.
12. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian the truth about her financial situation with Havenhurst?
(a) Because she does not know the truth herself.
(b) Because she doesn't trust Ian.
(c) Because she is embarrassed.
(d) Because she has been sworn to secrecy.
13. What ailment does Elizabeth claim is keeping her from returning to London from Havenhurst?
(b) A head cold.
14. Whose memory does Ian keep alive with the contents of the treasure box?
(a) His brother's.
(b) His dog's.
(c) His grandfather's.
(d) His parents'.
15. What does the investigator dislike most about Ian?
(a) His charm.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His heritage.
(d) His dancing skills.
Short Answer Questions
1. After arriving to Ian's house, what does Elizabeth promise to teach Ian to do?
2. What is Ian's reaction to Havenhurst the first time he sees it?
3. What does Alex promise to do before Elizabeth gets married?
4. After Ian kisses her on a long walk through the woods, why is Elizabeth overcome with embarrassment?
5. What does Elizabeth think motivated Ian's engagement proposal?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)