|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ian react to seeing the items Elizabeth has removed from his treasure box?
(a) He is embarrassed.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is shocked.
2. How many women is Ian expected to dance with before he can dance with Elizabeth?
3. Where does Robert claim to have been working during the years he was away from home?
(a) On a lobster boat.
(b) In a labor camp.
(c) In the mines.
(d) In a potato field.
4. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian the truth about her financial situation with Havenhurst?
(a) Because she doesn't trust Ian.
(b) Because she is embarrassed.
(c) Because she has been sworn to secrecy.
(d) Because she does not know the truth herself.
5. Upon returning home with her new husband, what is the first question that crosses Elizabeth's mind?
(a) Who will cook us breakfast?
(b) Did Ian enjoy the wedding reception?
(c) Where will Ian sleep?
(d) Is Ian embarrassed to share our marital bed?
6. Which of the following pieces of jewelry does Ian withhold giving to Elizabeth until he is sure she is really in love with him?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A brooch.
(d) A ring.
7. What does Elizabeth think motivated Ian's engagement proposal?
8. Who delivers the news to Elizabeth that she is no longer engaged to Sir Belhaven?
(b) Her uncle.
(d) Sir Belhaven.
9. Why doesn't Roddy Carstairs want to be seen with Elizabeth at the ball?
(a) Because he is afraid of Sir Belhaven's reaction.
(b) Because Elizabeth has such a bad reputation.
(c) Because Elizabeth is such a bad dancer.
(d) Because he thinks Elizabeth is unattractive.
10. After Ian kisses her on a long walk through the woods, why is Elizabeth overcome with embarrassment?
(a) Because she is still engaged to another man.
(b) Because she does not understand her feelings.
(c) Because she stole Ian's childhood diary.
(d) Because she knows she has been lying to Ian.
11. What does Elizabeth enjoy most about shopping at the markets in the village?
(a) The handmade materials.
(b) The feeling of independence.
(c) Bargaining for prices.
(d) The walk through the woods.
12. How was Ian's family killed?
(a) In a boat accident.
(b) In an Indian attack.
(c) In a house fire.
(d) From small pox.
13. What does Elizabeth say when she sees her engagement ring for the first time?
(a) That she does not like the color.
(b) That it is clearly too expensive.
(c) That she will never take it off.
(d) That it's the ring she has always dreamed of.
14. Which of the following men is Valerie betrothed to?
15. What claim about Ian does Robert make upon returning home?
(a) That Ian is insane.
(b) That Ian is an adulturer.
(c) That Ian is a thief.
(d) That Ian is a murderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ian realize he must do if he wants to marry Elizabeth?
2. What is the title Ian holds within his family?
3. Who does the private investigator claim probably killed Robert?
4. Traditionally, who are the first people to retire after a wedding ceremony?
5. What does Elizabeth promise to refrain from after she is married to Ian?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)