|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bombshell does Duncan drop on Ian after Elizabeth leaves the house to accept her engagement?
(a) That Elizabeth never wants to see him again.
(b) That Elizabeth is very poor.
(c) That Elizabeth has been lying to him.
(d) That Elizabeth is in love with him.
2. When Elizabeth enters the ball with her escort, how do the other guests react?
(a) They welcome her to the party.
(b) They toast her for her bravery.
(c) They gossip about her.
(d) They ignore her.
3. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian the truth about her financial situation with Havenhurst?
(a) Because she doesn't trust Ian.
(b) Because she has been sworn to secrecy.
(c) Because she is embarrassed.
(d) Because she does not know the truth herself.
4. How many women is Ian expected to dance with before he can dance with Elizabeth?
5. On which important day does Elizabeth finally hear back from her private investigator?
(a) On her birthday.
(b) On her wedding day.
(c) On Independence Day.
(d) On Christmas Day.
6. Why doesn't Roddy Carstairs want to be seen with Elizabeth at the ball?
(a) Because Elizabeth is such a bad dancer.
(b) Because he is afraid of Sir Belhaven's reaction.
(c) Because he thinks Elizabeth is unattractive.
(d) Because Elizabeth has such a bad reputation.
7. What is Ian's grandfather doing when he must wait impatiently before rushing off to find Elizabeth?
(a) He is reading.
(b) He is dressing.
(c) He is sleeping.
(d) He is bathing.
8. When Ian cannot find Elizabeth after meeting with her family, where does he go to pass time?
(a) The library.
(b) A church.
(c) The zoo.
(d) A bar.
9. After Ian kisses her on a long walk through the woods, why is Elizabeth overcome with embarrassment?
(a) Because she knows she has been lying to Ian.
(b) Because she stole Ian's childhood diary.
(c) Because she does not understand her feelings.
(d) Because she is still engaged to another man.
10. What does Ian offer to buy from Elizabeth's uncle out of anger?
(a) His house.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His niece.
(d) His horses.
11. What does Elizabeth sell in order to fund her getaway with Robert?
(a) Her wedding ring.
(c) Her jewels.
(d) Her prize-winning stallion.
12. Why do Ian and Elizabeth pretend NOT to know one another at the ball at Ian's house?
(a) Because they realize they truly don't know each other.
(b) Because that is customary for courting couples.
(c) Because they are playing a game with their friends.
(d) Because they are having a fight.
13. After arriving to Ian's house, what does Elizabeth promise to teach Ian to do?
(a) Cheat at cards.
(b) Bait a fishing hook.
(c) Darn socks.
(d) Bargain at the market.
14. What does Alex promise to do before Elizabeth gets married?
(a) Run away with her.
(b) Repair her reputation.
(c) Save Havenhurst.
(d) Tell Ian how she truly feels.
15. What does the investigator dislike most about Ian?
(a) His charm.
(b) His dancing skills.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His heritage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert show to Elizabeth in the hopes of proving his violent stories?
2. Which of the following men is Valerie betrothed to?
3. Whose memory does Ian keep alive with the contents of the treasure box?
4. Upon returning home with her new husband, what is the first question that crosses Elizabeth's mind?
5. How does Elizabeth react to seeing Ian's home for the first time?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)