|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ian's grandfather doing when he must wait impatiently before rushing off to find Elizabeth?
(a) He is dressing.
(b) He is reading.
(c) He is bathing.
(d) He is sleeping.
2. What is Ian's reaction to Havenhurst the first time he sees it?
(a) He is amazed at its splendor.
(b) He is filled with nostalgia.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is not impressed.
3. Who does Ian insult, scaring the man away from Elizabeth for the duration of the ball at his home?
4. How does Ian's grandfather react to seeing him after so many years away from home?
(a) He is confused by Ian's return.
(b) He is pleased by Ian's return.
(c) He is angered by Ian's return.
(d) He ignores Ian's return.
5. How was Ian's family killed?
(a) In a boat accident.
(b) In a house fire.
(c) From small pox.
(d) In an Indian attack.
6. Which of the following pieces of jewelry does Ian withhold giving to Elizabeth until he is sure she is really in love with him?
(a) A bracelet.
(b) A brooch.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A ring.
7. How does Elizabeth react to seeing Ian's home for the first time?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She is apathetic.
8. After arriving to Ian's house, what does Elizabeth promise to teach Ian to do?
(a) Cheat at cards.
(b) Bargain at the market.
(c) Bait a fishing hook.
(d) Darn socks.
9. According to the contract he signs, which of the following is NOT something Ian inherits when his grandfather dies?
(a) His money.
(b) His title.
(c) His land.
(d) His debts.
10. Where does Alex's husband claim Elizabeth is on the evening Ian cannot find her?
(a) At a ball.
(b) At the theater.
(c) At church.
(d) On a date.
11. What scene does Ian recreate for Elizabeth on their wedding day?
(a) The place where they shared their first dance.
(b) The place where he proposed.
(c) The place where they shared their first kiss.
(d) The place where they first met.
12. Who delivers the news to Elizabeth that she is no longer engaged to Sir Belhaven?
(b) Sir Belhaven.
(c) Her uncle.
13. Why do Ian and Elizabeth pretend NOT to know one another at the ball at Ian's house?
(a) Because they realize they truly don't know each other.
(b) Because they are having a fight.
(c) Because they are playing a game with their friends.
(d) Because that is customary for courting couples.
14. What is the name of the man Elizabeth finally gets to escort her after Roddy refuses?
15. Which of the following adjectives best describes Duncan?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Robert claim to have been working during the years he was away from home?
2. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian the truth about her financial situation with Havenhurst?
3. How many women is Ian expected to dance with before he can dance with Elizabeth?
4. Why is Elizabeth willing to accept an engagement to a man she is not in love with?
5. How long will Ian and Elizabeth court before announcing their engagement?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)