|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian that she is planning to leave him?
(a) Because she doesn't think he will care.
(b) Because Robert threatened her into silence.
(c) Because she is afraid of his temper.
(d) Because she has been sworn to secrecy.
2. After Ian kisses her on a long walk through the woods, why is Elizabeth overcome with embarrassment?
(a) Because she knows she has been lying to Ian.
(b) Because she stole Ian's childhood diary.
(c) Because she is still engaged to another man.
(d) Because she does not understand her feelings.
3. What is Elizabeth doing when Robert returns to Havenhurst?
4. Who does Lucinda confess everything to before leaving Ian's cottage with Elizabeth for the engagement?
5. On which important day does Elizabeth finally hear back from her private investigator?
(a) On Christmas Day.
(b) On Independence Day.
(c) On her wedding day.
(d) On her birthday.
6. What bombshell does Duncan drop on Ian after Elizabeth leaves the house to accept her engagement?
(a) That Elizabeth has been lying to him.
(b) That Elizabeth never wants to see him again.
(c) That Elizabeth is very poor.
(d) That Elizabeth is in love with him.
7. Where does Alex's husband claim Elizabeth is on the evening Ian cannot find her?
(a) At the theater.
(b) At church.
(c) On a date.
(d) At a ball.
8. When Elizabeth enters the ball with her escort, how do the other guests react?
(a) They gossip about her.
(b) They welcome her to the party.
(c) They ignore her.
(d) They toast her for her bravery.
9. According to the contract he signs, which of the following is NOT something Ian inherits when his grandfather dies?
(a) His title.
(b) His land.
(c) His debts.
(d) His money.
10. Upon returning home with her new husband, what is the first question that crosses Elizabeth's mind?
(a) Where will Ian sleep?
(b) Who will cook us breakfast?
(c) Is Ian embarrassed to share our marital bed?
(d) Did Ian enjoy the wedding reception?
11. Why is Elizabeth willing to accept an engagement to a man she is not in love with?
(a) Because she is desperate for money.
(b) Because her family insists on the wedding.
(c) Because she is getting old and does not have many romantic options.
(d) Because she does not believe in love.
12. Why do Ian and Elizabeth pretend NOT to know one another at the ball at Ian's house?
(a) Because they are having a fight.
(b) Because they realize they truly don't know each other.
(c) Because that is customary for courting couples.
(d) Because they are playing a game with their friends.
13. Which of the following characters officiates the wedding between Ian and Elizabeth?
14. What is the name of Alex's husband?
15. Which of the following best describes Ian's home?
(a) A cottage.
(b) A shack.
(c) A modest house.
(d) A mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Traditionally, who are the first people to retire after a wedding ceremony?
2. To whom is the Dowager Duchess related?
3. How was Ian's family killed?
4. What does Elizabeth say when she sees her engagement ring for the first time?
5. What is Ian doing when Elizabeth leaves the cottage to accept her engagement?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)