|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ian insult, scaring the man away from Elizabeth for the duration of the ball at his home?
2. After Ian kisses her on a long walk through the woods, why is Elizabeth overcome with embarrassment?
(a) Because she knows she has been lying to Ian.
(b) Because she stole Ian's childhood diary.
(c) Because she is still engaged to another man.
(d) Because she does not understand her feelings.
3. How does Ian convince Elizabeth's family to accept his marriage proposal?
(a) He brings the vicar to pray with them as a family.
(b) He threatens them with physical violence.
(c) He explains that the two are really in love.
(d) He pays them a large sum of money.
4. Which of the following men apologizes to Elizabeth for shaming her two years previously?
(a) The Duke of Stanhope.
(b) Ian Thornton.
(c) Count Mondevale.
(d) Sir Belhaven.
5. Where does Elizabeth discover Ian's childhood treasure box?
(a) In a tree house.
(b) In a vault.
(c) In the attic of the cottage.
(d) Under his childhood bed.
6. What is the name of Alex's husband?
7. What is the name of the man Elizabeth finally gets to escort her after Roddy refuses?
8. What is Ian's reaction to Havenhurst the first time he sees it?
(a) He is amazed at its splendor.
(b) He is filled with nostalgia.
(c) He is not impressed.
(d) He is apathetic.
9. What bombshell does Duncan drop on Ian after Elizabeth leaves the house to accept her engagement?
(a) That Elizabeth is very poor.
(b) That Elizabeth is in love with him.
(c) That Elizabeth never wants to see him again.
(d) That Elizabeth has been lying to him.
10. What is the name of Ian's home?
11. At the time Elizabeth leaves Ian's house to accept the engagement, how much time has passed since the ill-fated meeting in the greenhouse?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two years.
(d) Two days.
12. What does Elizabeth sell in order to fund her getaway with Robert?
(a) Her jewels.
(c) Her wedding ring.
(d) Her prize-winning stallion.
13. What claim about Ian does Robert make upon returning home?
(a) That Ian is an adulturer.
(b) That Ian is a thief.
(c) That Ian is a murderer.
(d) That Ian is insane.
14. What is Ian's grandfather doing when he must wait impatiently before rushing off to find Elizabeth?
(a) He is reading.
(b) He is dressing.
(c) He is bathing.
(d) He is sleeping.
15. Which of the following men is Valerie betrothed to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth say when she sees her engagement ring for the first time?
2. Which of the following aspects of marriage is most important to Elizabeth when she chooses a suitor?
3. According to the contract he signs, which of the following is NOT something Ian inherits when his grandfather dies?
4. What does the investigator dislike most about Ian?
5. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian that she is planning to leave him?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)