|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ian cannot find Elizabeth after meeting with her family, where does he go to pass time?
(a) A bar.
(b) The library.
(c) The zoo.
(d) A church.
2. What ailment does Elizabeth claim is keeping her from returning to London from Havenhurst?
(b) A head cold.
3. What is Ian's grandfather doing when he must wait impatiently before rushing off to find Elizabeth?
(a) He is bathing.
(b) He is sleeping.
(c) He is reading.
(d) He is dressing.
4. At the time Elizabeth leaves Ian's house to accept the engagement, how much time has passed since the ill-fated meeting in the greenhouse?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two years.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
5. How does Ian react to seeing the items Elizabeth has removed from his treasure box?
(a) He is shocked.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is embarrassed.
6. Which of the following aspects of marriage is most important to Elizabeth when she chooses a suitor?
7. What does Robert show to Elizabeth in the hopes of proving his violent stories?
(a) Open wounds.
8. Why doesn't Elizabeth tell Ian the truth about her financial situation with Havenhurst?
(a) Because she does not know the truth herself.
(b) Because she has been sworn to secrecy.
(c) Because she doesn't trust Ian.
(d) Because she is embarrassed.
9. After Ian kisses her on a long walk through the woods, why is Elizabeth overcome with embarrassment?
(a) Because she is still engaged to another man.
(b) Because she does not understand her feelings.
(c) Because she stole Ian's childhood diary.
(d) Because she knows she has been lying to Ian.
10. Which of the following men apologizes to Elizabeth for shaming her two years previously?
(a) Ian Thornton.
(b) The Duke of Stanhope.
(c) Count Mondevale.
(d) Sir Belhaven.
11. How does Elizabeth react to seeing Ian's home for the first time?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She is apathetic.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She is confused.
12. According to the contract he signs, which of the following is NOT something Ian inherits when his grandfather dies?
(a) His debts.
(b) His title.
(c) His land.
(d) His money.
13. After arriving to Ian's house, what does Elizabeth promise to teach Ian to do?
(a) Darn socks.
(b) Cheat at cards.
(c) Bargain at the market.
(d) Bait a fishing hook.
14. How was Ian's family killed?
(a) In a boat accident.
(b) In an Indian attack.
(c) In a house fire.
(d) From small pox.
15. What does Ian agree to let Elizabeth alter in order to appease her about their engagement?
(a) The date of their wedding.
(b) Their finances.
(c) Their guest list.
(d) Their wedding contract.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the private investigator claim probably killed Robert?
2. What is the name of the man Elizabeth finally gets to escort her after Roddy refuses?
3. What does Elizabeth enjoy most about shopping at the markets in the village?
4. Who does Ian insult, scaring the man away from Elizabeth for the duration of the ball at his home?
5. What is the name of Alex's husband?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)