|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Elizabeth receives the unexpected note, where does it ask her to meet someone?
(a) At the greenhouse.
(b) Under the bridge.
(c) At the ship dock.
(d) At the town church.
2. After touring the cottage, what opinion does Elizabeth have about Ian?
(a) That he is modest.
(b) That he is rugged.
(c) That he is poor.
(d) That he is rich.
3. Why does Elizabeth's family almost lose their home?
(a) Because of a fire.
(b) Because of an earthquake.
(c) Because of their debts.
(d) Because of a flood.
4. How does Elizabeth react when she sees Ian flirting with other women at the party?
(a) She ignores him completely.
(b) She is amused.
(c) She is jealous.
(d) She is confused.
5. Who hosts the party where Elizabeth meets Ian Thornton?
(a) A friend.
(b) A cousin.
(c) A colleague.
(d) A fellow student.
6. Who does Elizabeth confess her indiscretions to after returning from the cabin?
(a) To her maid.
(b) To her best friend.
(c) To her priest.
(d) To her brother.
7. Which of the following characters eavesdrops and overhears Ian discussing his first impressions of Elizabeth?
8. Which of the following behaviors does Elizabeth partake in during her date with Marchman?
9. What type of man does Elizabeth think will give her the most independence in marriage?
(a) An honest man.
(b) A poor man.
(c) An old man.
(d) A religious man.
10. What does Robert confess to Ian after walking in on him with Elizabeth?
(a) That Elizabeth is in love with him.
(b) That Elizabeth is already engaged.
(c) That Elizabeth is very poor.
(d) That Elizabeth is a thief.
11. Where does Ian's friend Jake live?
(a) In France.
(b) In Wales.
(c) In Scotland.
(d) In Spain.
12. What does Marchman promise to send a note to Elizabeth's uncle proclaiming?
(a) That they are not well-suited for each other.
(b) That they should be married at once.
(c) That Elizabeth is a liar.
(d) That he would like to take Elizabeth on vacation.
13. Which of the following characteristics is NOT important in the search for Elizabeth's husband?
(a) His morals.
(b) His social standing.
(c) His title.
(d) His wealth.
14. Who does Ian realize mistakenly invited Elizabeth to Jake's home?
(a) His secretary.
(b) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His friend.
15. How does Ian react when Elizabeth enters his cabin?
(a) He is angered.
(b) He is pleased.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is shocked.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Count Mondevale react to the news of the duel between Ian and Robert?
2. What is the name of the home where Elizabeth was raised?
3. How old was Elizabeth when she was orphaned?
4. How does Elizabeth respond when Ian kisses her after their first meal together?
5. What do Elizabeth's friends dare her to do when she meets Ian?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)