|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following activities is Jake most concerned with during the weekend at his home?
2. How is Elizabeth related to Robert?
(a) She is his cousin.
(b) She is his half-sister.
(c) She is his sister.
(d) She is his stepsister.
3. Who accompanies Jake into town to find a cook to bring back to the cottage?
4. During their duel, where does Robert shoot Ian?
(a) In the neck.
(b) In the foot.
(c) In the leg.
(d) In the arm.
5. After breakfast with Ian, where does Elizabeth run to cry?
(a) The bedroom.
(b) The garden.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) The carriage house.
6. How does Elizabeth react when she first hears Ian's name?
(a) She is nervous.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She is pleased.
(d) She is embarrassed.
7. In what room of the house does Marchman spend most of his time with Elizabeth?
(a) The study.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) The greenhouse.
8. Which of the following activities most interests Lord Marchman?
9. What does Marchman promise to send a note to Elizabeth's uncle proclaiming?
(a) That they should be married at once.
(b) That Elizabeth is a liar.
(c) That they are not well-suited for each other.
(d) That he would like to take Elizabeth on vacation.
10. How does Elizabeth fare in her initial debut into high society?
(a) She receives many proposals.
(b) She receives one proposal.
(c) She receives two proposals.
(d) She does not receive any proposals.
11. Why does Elizabeth's family almost lose their home?
(a) Because of their debts.
(b) Because of an earthquake.
(c) Because of a fire.
(d) Because of a flood.
12. After the party, where does Ian ask Elizabeth to meet him?
(a) At the park.
(b) At the swimming pool.
(c) At the woodcutter's cabin.
(d) At the greenhouse.
13. Which word is used to describe Ian on the day when Elizabeth meets him for the first time?
14. How does Elizabeth dress when she arrives at Sir Francis Belhaven's home?
(a) In a flashy, short dress.
(b) In a very modest dress.
(c) In furs and jewels.
(d) In rags.
15. When Elizabeth receives the unexpected note, where does it ask her to meet someone?
(a) At the greenhouse.
(b) Under the bridge.
(c) At the ship dock.
(d) At the town church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elizabeth concerned about when she realizes she will be alone with Ian in the cabin?
2. Which of the following behaviors does Elizabeth partake in during her date with Marchman?
3. How does Ian react when Elizabeth cooks breakfast for him the first time?
4. How does Marchman know that Elizabeth is lying to him about her interests?
5. Who hosts the party where Elizabeth meets Ian Thornton?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)