|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Baumer fail to notice on the street?
2. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
3. What part of the war are the men particularly angry about?
4. Where was Paul sitting all day?
5. What does Detering collect from a tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul think about after the man dies? What does this say about his character?
2. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
3. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
4. How does this book make you feel about war?
5. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
6. How do the men act while eating caviar? Why do they do this?
7. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
8. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
9. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
10. How does Baumer skin his elbows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about a real-life case in which a soldier was court-martialed. Be sure to explain the charges, the evidence, verdict, punishment (if applicable), and whether or not you agree with the findings of the military court.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character from the novel and write an essay explaining:
1 - How he displayed bravery or helped the others.
2 - The qualities that this individual displayed that others can learn from.
3 - This character's opinion of the war.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay outlining your plan for an organization that helps returning soldiers readjust to peacetime. Be sure to address:
1 - The approach of the organization.
2 - Examples from real organizations that will be useful for your plan.
3 - Why you would want to help the soldiers in the first place.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)