|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baumer's mother send to him before he leaves?
2. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
3. What class is Paul mother in in the hospital?
4. What type of expression was on Paul's face when he died?
5. Who is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baumer skin his elbows?
2. What does Baumer say about being happy during the war? What about the memory of the previous days?
3. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
4. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
5. Baumer states that when men are living so close to death, life is only expressed in a certain way. How does he say life is expressed? How has Paul changed?
6. How does Baumer feel about being back at the training camp on the moors? What does Remarque use nature to symbolize?
7. What does Paul think about after the man dies? What does this say about his character?
8. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
9. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
10. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that critiques both Erich Maria Remarque's writing style and the subject matter of the book. Previous reviews of the book may be helpful, but be sure to use original ideas and do not plagiarize.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the causes of World War I, including a time-line of events, and all the responsible people, parties, and governments.
Essay Topic 3
In All Quiet on the Western Front, the men have more than one opportunity to get revenge on authority figures who they feel have wronged them. Write an essay on revenge, making sure to touch upon:
1 - The difference between justice and revenge.
2 - Whether or not you feel that revenge is appropriate in certain situations.
3 - Real-world examples of revenge or revenge gone wrong.
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)