|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men think they will be going?
2. What did the man that Baumer kills do for a living?
3. What does Detering collect from a tree?
4. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
5. What is wrong with Paul's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
2. How is nature described throughout All Quiet on the Western Front? What does this symbolism mean?
3. How is Berger wounded?
4. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
5. How does Baumer feel about being back at the training camp on the moors? What does Remarque use nature to symbolize?
6. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
7. Baumer states that when men are living so close to death, life is only expressed in a certain way. How does he say life is expressed? How has Paul changed?
8. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
9. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
10. Why are the men feeling so ill? How are the enemy troops faring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that critiques both Erich Maria Remarque's writing style and the subject matter of the book. Previous reviews of the book may be helpful, but be sure to use original ideas and do not plagiarize.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that describes what you think it would be like to join the military and go through boot camp. Be sure to describe some imaginary situations that show your reactions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about a real-life case in which a soldier was court-martialed. Be sure to explain the charges, the evidence, verdict, punishment (if applicable), and whether or not you agree with the findings of the military court.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)