|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class is Paul mother in in the hospital?
2. What part of the war are the men particularly angry about?
3. How was Müller killed?
4. Who is dead?
5. Beside Baumer's training camp there is a prison of soldiers from what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
2. How is nature described throughout All Quiet on the Western Front? What does this symbolism mean?
3. Baumer states that when men are living so close to death, life is only expressed in a certain way. How does he say life is expressed? How has Paul changed?
4. What comes over Paul as he lies in the shell-hole? What reassures him?
5. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
6. How is Berger wounded?
7. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
8. What does Paul think about after the man dies? What does this say about his character?
9. How do the men act while eating caviar? Why do they do this?
10. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay outlining your plan for an organization that helps returning soldiers readjust to peacetime. Be sure to address:
1 - The approach of the organization.
2 - Examples from real organizations that will be useful for your plan.
3 - Why you would want to help the soldiers in the first place.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that describes what you think it would be like to join the military and go through boot camp. Be sure to describe some imaginary situations that show your reactions.
Essay Topic 3
In All Quiet on the Western Front, the men have more than one opportunity to get revenge on authority figures who they feel have wronged them. Write an essay on revenge, making sure to touch upon:
1 - The difference between justice and revenge.
2 - Whether or not you feel that revenge is appropriate in certain situations.
3 - Real-world examples of revenge or revenge gone wrong.
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)