|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon are the men newly afraid of?
2. How was Müller killed?
3. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
4. What part of the war are the men particularly angry about?
5. What type of license allows a man to do what he wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is nature described throughout All Quiet on the Western Front? What does this symbolism mean?
2. Baumer states that when men are living so close to death, life is only expressed in a certain way. How does he say life is expressed? How has Paul changed?
3. How is Berger wounded?
4. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
5. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
6. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
7. How does Baumer skin his elbows?
8. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
9. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
10. How do the men act while eating caviar? Why do they do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character from the novel and write an essay explaining:
1 - How he displayed bravery or helped the others.
2 - The qualities that this individual displayed that others can learn from.
3 - This character's opinion of the war.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining one of these two points:
1 - Why young men should join the army and serve their country.
2 - Why giving one's life in war should never be asked of a citizen.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that compares All Quiet on the Western Front to another book about a war. Be sure to include:
1 - Similarities or differences in theme.
2 - Optimistic or pessimistic conclusions.
3 - Whether the other book was for (glorifying) or against (condemning) war.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)