|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the men given a shot for in the ambulance wagon?
2. What gives the men terrible bowel troubles?
3. What are the men's thoughts like?
4. What are all the soldiers hoping for?
5. Where do the men think they will be going?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
2. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
3. Why are the men feeling so ill? How are the enemy troops faring?
4. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
5. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
6. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
7. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
8. How do the men act while eating caviar? Why do they do this?
9. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
10. What does Baumer say about being happy during the war? What about the memory of the previous days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about a real-life case in which a soldier was court-martialed. Be sure to explain the charges, the evidence, verdict, punishment (if applicable), and whether or not you agree with the findings of the military court.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the development of conventions on chemical warfare throughout history, especially those that came as a direct result of the First World War.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that explains the conventions regarding the treatment of POWs, and your personal opinion about them. Are they too harsh or too lenient? Should different rules be applied to different types of enemies?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)