|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of license allows a man to do what he wants?
2. What does Kropp have at home?
3. Where was Paul sitting all day?
4. What makes seven?
5. What kind of accent does the singing wireless-man have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baumer skin his elbows?
2. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
3. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
4. How is Berger wounded?
5. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
6. How is nature described throughout All Quiet on the Western Front? What does this symbolism mean?
7. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
8. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
9. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
10. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that chooses at least two examples of symbolism from the book. Be sure to explain what the elements symbolize, and why you think the author chose them.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that critiques both Erich Maria Remarque's writing style and the subject matter of the book. Previous reviews of the book may be helpful, but be sure to use original ideas and do not plagiarize.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the causes of World War I, including a time-line of events, and all the responsible people, parties, and governments.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)