|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
2. How many days leave does Baumer get in total?
3. How many cakes does Baumer give to the Russians?
4. What is wrong with Paul's mother?
5. What do the men bring to the French girls as presents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
2. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
3. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
4. What does Baumer say about being happy during the war? What about the memory of the previous days?
5. How does this book make you feel about war?
6. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
7. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
8. How is nature described throughout All Quiet on the Western Front? What does this symbolism mean?
9. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
10. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that chooses at least two examples of symbolism from the book. Be sure to explain what the elements symbolize, and why you think the author chose them.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character from the novel and write an essay explaining:
1 - How he displayed bravery or helped the others.
2 - The qualities that this individual displayed that others can learn from.
3 - This character's opinion of the war.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that critiques both Erich Maria Remarque's writing style and the subject matter of the book. Previous reviews of the book may be helpful, but be sure to use original ideas and do not plagiarize.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)