|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is missing from the naked soldier sitting in the tree, other than his clothes?
2. What type of expression was on Paul's face when he died?
3. How many days leave does Baumer get in total?
4. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
5. Where was Paul sitting all day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
2. How is Berger wounded?
3. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
4. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
5. What does Baumer say about being happy during the war? What about the memory of the previous days?
6. How do the men act while eating caviar? Why do they do this?
7. How does Baumer skin his elbows?
8. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
9. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
10. How does Paul say his generation has been changed, based on his descriptions of the entire book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the effect of female involvement in the First World War upon Women's Rights.
Essay Topic 2
Paul Baumer's life is filled with tragedy. Write an essay that describes the tragic events detailed in All Quiet on the Western Front, and how these events affected Baumer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that critiques both Erich Maria Remarque's writing style and the subject matter of the book. Previous reviews of the book may be helpful, but be sure to use original ideas and do not plagiarize.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)