|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "game" did Himmelstoss used to make the men play?
2. According to Haie, what is revenge?
3. Who or what do the soldiers have to thank for their good fortune?
4. What does Haie often dream of?
5. What is the name of the play that Baumer was writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
2. What does Kropp think war should be like?
3. Why does Kantorek's letter make the men angry? Why do you think the men have become old?
4. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
5. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
6. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
7. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
8. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
9. How does Detering he react to the wounded horses, and why? What is his opinion of horses in warfare?
10. How do the men feel about their education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining one of these two points:
1 - Why young men should join the army and serve their country.
2 - Why giving one's life in war should never be asked of a citizen.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character from the novel and write an essay explaining:
1 - How he displayed bravery or helped the others.
2 - The qualities that this individual displayed that others can learn from.
3 - This character's opinion of the war.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay outlining your plan for an organization that helps returning soldiers readjust to peacetime. Be sure to address:
1 - The approach of the organization.
2 - Examples from real organizations that will be useful for your plan.
3 - Why you would want to help the soldiers in the first place.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)