|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Müller offer Baumer a fine piece of?
2. What does Baumer fall in when counter-attacking the French?
3. Why do the men know they are near the sea?
4. According to Kat, why does a trained dog snap at a piece of meat?
5. What punishment do the men receive for insulting Himmelstoss?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
2. Why does Tjaden have a special grudge against Himmelstoss?
3. When referring to Müller and Kemmerich, Baumer he states that they no longer have any sense of "artificial considerations". What do you think he means?
4. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
5. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
6. What does Himmelstoss prove about his character in this chapter?
7. How does Haie Westhus feel about the difference between military and civilian life?
8. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
9. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
10. How was Himmelstoss disgraced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that describes what you think it would be like to join the military and go through boot camp. Be sure to describe some imaginary situations that show your reactions.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the effect of female involvement in the First World War upon Women's Rights.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character from the novel and write an essay explaining:
1 - How he displayed bravery or helped the others.
2 - The qualities that this individual displayed that others can learn from.
3 - This character's opinion of the war.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)