Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do gunpowder fumes taste?
2. What is there a lot more of now in the trenches?
3. According to Kat, why does a trained dog snap at a piece of meat?
4. What is Kat so worried about?
5. How does Baumer feel towards Kat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tjaden have a special grudge against Himmelstoss?
2. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
3. How does Baumer feel about being back at the training camp on the moors? What does Remarque use nature to symbolize?
4. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
5. How does Paul say his generation has been changed, based on his descriptions of the entire book?
6. How did the men break Himmelstoss' power over them?
7. How does this book make you feel about war?
8. Where are the characters, and how are they feeling? Where did their "luck" come from?
9. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
10. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that describes what you think it would be like to join the military and go through boot camp. Be sure to describe some imaginary situations that show your reactions.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the conclusion of All Quiet on the Western Front. Be sure to touch upon:
1 - Your reaction.
2 - How Paul's death influences the overall theme of the novel (hope versus hopelessness).
3 - Whether or not you would have written the book this way, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay outlining your plan for an organization that helps returning soldiers readjust to peacetime. Be sure to address:
1 - The approach of the organization.
2 - Examples from real organizations that will be useful for your plan.
3 - Why you would want to help the soldiers in the first place.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)