|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the English gunners usually start firing?
2. What do the men salvage for parts to send home?
3. Who arrives at the front lines?
4. Who hates Himmelstoss the most?
5. Why is Müller in a good mood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Haie Westhus feel about the difference between military and civilian life?
2. Do you think that it is immoral for Müller to want Kemmerich's boots?
3. How was Himmelstoss disgraced?
4. How does Baumer feel at the end of this chapter?
5. Katczinsky recites the rhyme "Give 'em all the same grub and all the same pay / And the war would be over and done in a day". What do you think this means?
6. In this chapter, Katczinsky makes a long speech about why the officers behave the way they do. What does he say?
7. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
8. What does Kropp think war should be like?
9. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
10. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the conclusion of All Quiet on the Western Front. Be sure to touch upon:
1 - Your reaction.
2 - How Paul's death influences the overall theme of the novel (hope versus hopelessness).
3 - Whether or not you would have written the book this way, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay outlining your plan for an organization that helps returning soldiers readjust to peacetime. Be sure to address:
1 - The approach of the organization.
2 - Examples from real organizations that will be useful for your plan.
3 - Why you would want to help the soldiers in the first place.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that critiques both Erich Maria Remarque's writing style and the subject matter of the book. Previous reviews of the book may be helpful, but be sure to use original ideas and do not plagiarize.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)