|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Baumer leaves the hospital, what does he suddenly think of?
2. What do the men salvage for parts to send home?
3. What do the men wrap Himmelstoss in when they beat him?
4. What do the men find prepared for them on the way to the front?
5. What do the men throw at the enemy soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Kantorek do to the men?
2. What does Himmelstoss prove about his character in this chapter?
3. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
4. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
5. How do the men feel about their education?
6. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
7. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
8. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
9. Why did Baumer and Kat want to kill the fair-haired young recruit? Why didn't they do it?
10. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that describes what you think it would be like to join the military and go through boot camp. Be sure to describe some imaginary situations that show your reactions.
Essay Topic 2
Select and research a soldier who has told a story of remorse over killing enemy combatants or civilians. Present this story in the form of an essay along with your thoughts on the soldier's experience.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that explains what you would do to help yourself overcome traumatic memories.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)