|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new danger do the men face while taking cover?
2. What do the men salvage for parts to send home?
3. Who is fatally wounded in the back?
4. What did Baumer say Kemmerich had about him?
5. How many days ago did the soldiers have to relieve the front line?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Kantorek do to the men?
2. When referring to Müller and Kemmerich, Baumer he states that they no longer have any sense of "artificial considerations". What do you think he means?
3. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
4. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
5. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
6. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
7. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
8. Why did Baumer and Kat want to kill the fair-haired young recruit? Why didn't they do it?
9. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
10. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the development of conventions on chemical warfare throughout history, especially those that came as a direct result of the First World War.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the effect of female involvement in the First World War upon Women's Rights.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the causes of World War I, including a time-line of events, and all the responsible people, parties, and governments.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)