|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men do with the leftover goose?
2. The men were trained to be heroes as if they were...
3. What is the last thing the men see before falling asleep?
4. Why does Haie prefer military life to his normal job?
5. Who arrives at the front lines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
2. Do you think that it is immoral for Müller to want Kemmerich's boots?
3. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
4. How do the men react when they are finally attacked?
5. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
6. Why did Baumer and Kat want to kill the fair-haired young recruit? Why didn't they do it?
7. How does Baumer feel at the end of this chapter?
8. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
9. How does Detering he react to the wounded horses, and why? What is his opinion of horses in warfare?
10. Why do the men prefer sharpened shovels to bayonets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character from the novel and write an essay explaining:
1 - How he displayed bravery or helped the others.
2 - The qualities that this individual displayed that others can learn from.
3 - This character's opinion of the war.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that explains what you would do to help yourself overcome traumatic memories.
Essay Topic 3
Select and research a soldier who has told a story of remorse over killing enemy combatants or civilians. Present this story in the form of an essay along with your thoughts on the soldier's experience.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)