|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Himmelstoss threaten to do to Tjaden?
2. Who is Tjaden?
3. What do the men have to watch out for while riding back in the lorries?
4. What flowers fill the meadow that the men are sitting in?
5. Why does Kat think they are losing the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the characters, and how are they feeling? Where did their "luck" come from?
2. Do you think that it is immoral for Müller to want Kemmerich's boots?
3. Baumer muses that "the unhappiness of the world is so often brought on by small men". Why do you think this is?
4. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
5. In this chapter, Katczinsky makes a long speech about why the officers behave the way they do. What does he say?
6. How does Detering he react to the wounded horses, and why? What is his opinion of horses in warfare?
7. Why does Kantorek's letter make the men angry? Why do you think the men have become old?
8. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
9. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
10. How does Baumer feel at the end of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explains the conventions regarding the treatment of POWs, and your personal opinion about them. Are they too harsh or too lenient? Should different rules be applied to different types of enemies?
Essay Topic 2
Select and research a soldier who has told a story of remorse over killing enemy combatants or civilians. Present this story in the form of an essay along with your thoughts on the soldier's experience.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that describes what you think it would be like to join the military and go through boot camp. Be sure to describe some imaginary situations that show your reactions.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)