|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is bothered the most by the sound of the wounded horses?
2. How do the men refer to Germany?
3. Who hates Himmelstoss the most?
4. Who is coming to the front?
5. What platoon did Baumer, Kropp, Müller, and Kemmerich join?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tjaden have a special grudge against Himmelstoss?
2. What did Kantorek do to the men?
3. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
4. Where are the characters, and how are they feeling? Where did their "luck" come from?
5. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
6. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
7. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
8. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
9. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
10. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about a real-life case in which a soldier was court-martialed. Be sure to explain the charges, the evidence, verdict, punishment (if applicable), and whether or not you agree with the findings of the military court.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay outlining your plan for an organization that helps returning soldiers readjust to peacetime. Be sure to address:
1 - The approach of the organization.
2 - Examples from real organizations that will be useful for your plan.
3 - Why you would want to help the soldiers in the first place.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that critiques both Erich Maria Remarque's writing style and the subject matter of the book. Previous reviews of the book may be helpful, but be sure to use original ideas and do not plagiarize.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)