|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tjaden?
2. Who is Haie Westhus?
3. What word does Baumer use to describe Tjaden at the beginning of the chapter?
4. What do the men have to watch out for while riding back in the lorries?
5. Who died of an inflammation of the lung?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men react when they are finally attacked?
2. How was Himmelstoss disgraced?
3. How does Baumer feel at the end of this chapter?
4. How did the men finally outwit the rats?
5. Why do the men prefer sharpened shovels to bayonets?
6. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
7. When referring to Müller and Kemmerich, Baumer he states that they no longer have any sense of "artificial considerations". What do you think he means?
8. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
9. How do the men feel about their education?
10. Why did Baumer and Kat want to kill the fair-haired young recruit? Why didn't they do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select and research a soldier who has told a story of remorse over killing enemy combatants or civilians. Present this story in the form of an essay along with your thoughts on the soldier's experience.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of literature as a way to get a message across. Be sure to touch upon:
1 - Examples of literature that have had a great impact.
2 - Literature's effectiveness in comparison to film, music, and art.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining one of these two points:
1 - Why young men should join the army and serve their country.
2 - Why giving one's life in war should never be asked of a citizen.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)