|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the French famous for on the front?
2. What are the men at rest five miles from?
3. What was Detering before he was a soldier?
4. What does Müller carry?
5. Who has a special reason to hate Himmelstoss?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men react when they are finally attacked?
2. How does Detering he react to the wounded horses, and why? What is his opinion of horses in warfare?
3. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
4. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
5. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
6. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
7. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
8. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
9. What does Kropp think war should be like?
10. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War has its own general horrors, but also has other specific effects. Research and write an essay about an aftereffect of war, such as Gulf War Syndrome, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, or a refugee crisis. Make sure to explain:
1 - The specific cause.
2 - The nature of the disease or crisis.
3 - Any treatments or solutions available.
4 - How you think the problem could have been prevented, or can be prevented in the future.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that chooses at least two examples of symbolism from the book. Be sure to explain what the elements symbolize, and why you think the author chose them.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of literature as a way to get a message across. Be sure to touch upon:
1 - Examples of literature that have had a great impact.
2 - Literature's effectiveness in comparison to film, music, and art.
This section contains 1,697 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)