|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do gunpowder fumes taste?
2. Why does the orderly glance at Kemmerich and then leave?
3. What new danger do the men face while taking cover?
4. What do the men wrap Himmelstoss in when they beat him?
5. What do the men find prepared for them on the way to the front?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
2. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
3. In this chapter, Katczinsky makes a long speech about why the officers behave the way they do. What does he say?
4. What does Himmelstoss prove about his character in this chapter?
5. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
6. How does Baumer feel at the end of this chapter?
7. Why did Baumer and Kat want to kill the fair-haired young recruit? Why didn't they do it?
8. How do the men feel about their education?
9. When referring to Müller and Kemmerich, Baumer he states that they no longer have any sense of "artificial considerations". What do you think he means?
10. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul Baumer's life is filled with tragedy. Write an essay that describes the tragic events detailed in All Quiet on the Western Front, and how these events affected Baumer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of literature as a way to get a message across. Be sure to touch upon:
1 - Examples of literature that have had a great impact.
2 - Literature's effectiveness in comparison to film, music, and art.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay outlining your plan for an organization that helps returning soldiers readjust to peacetime. Be sure to address:
1 - The approach of the organization.
2 - Examples from real organizations that will be useful for your plan.
3 - Why you would want to help the soldiers in the first place.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)