Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do gunpowder fumes taste?
2. What is there a lot more of now in the trenches?
3. According to Kat, why does a trained dog snap at a piece of meat?
4. What is Kat so worried about?
5. How does Baumer feel towards Kat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tjaden have a special grudge against Himmelstoss?
2. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
3. How does Baumer feel about being back at the training camp on the moors? What does Remarque use nature to symbolize?
4. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
5. How does Paul say his generation has been changed, based on his descriptions of the entire book?
6. How did the men break Himmelstoss' power over them?
7. How does this book make you feel about war?
8. Where are the characters, and how are they feeling? Where did their "luck" come from?
9. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
10. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the conclusion of All Quiet on the Western Front. Be sure to touch upon:
1 - Your reaction.
2 - How Paul's death influences the overall theme of the novel (hope versus hopelessness).
3 - Whether or not you would have written the book this way, and why.
Essay Topic 2
In All Quiet on the Western Front, the men have more than one opportunity to get revenge on authority figures who they feel have wronged them. Write an essay on revenge, making sure to touch upon:
1 - The difference between justice and revenge.
2 - Whether or not you feel that revenge is appropriate in certain situations.
3 - Real-world examples of revenge or revenge gone wrong.
Essay Topic 3
Select and research a soldier who has told a story of remorse over killing enemy combatants or civilians. Present this story in the form of an essay along with your thoughts on the soldier's experience.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)