|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days ago did the soldiers have to relieve the front line?
2. Where are the soldiers who are not in the mess line or the dressing-station?
3. What nation's troops rush the men's line?
4. How old is Kemmerich?
5. What word describes almost all sergeant-majors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
2. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
3. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
4. Why does Tjaden have a special grudge against Himmelstoss?
5. What does Himmelstoss prove about his character in this chapter?
6. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
7. How does Haie Westhus feel about the difference between military and civilian life?
8. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
9. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
10. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that critiques both Erich Maria Remarque's writing style and the subject matter of the book. Previous reviews of the book may be helpful, but be sure to use original ideas and do not plagiarize.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the effect of female involvement in the First World War upon Women's Rights.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about a real-life case in which a soldier was court-martialed. Be sure to explain the charges, the evidence, verdict, punishment (if applicable), and whether or not you agree with the findings of the military court.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)