|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Haie prefer military life to his normal job?
2. How many recruits die for each one veteran killed?
3. What does Müller carry?
4. What pattern is on the bedding in the men's barracks?
5. How many men survived the last day at the front?
Short Essay Questions
1. In this chapter, Katczinsky makes a long speech about why the officers behave the way they do. What does he say?
2. What does Kropp think war should be like?
3. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
4. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
5. Why does Kantorek's letter make the men angry? Why do you think the men have become old?
6. Where are the characters, and how are they feeling? Where did their "luck" come from?
7. Describe the bond that exists between Baumer and Kropp.
8. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
9. What does Himmelstoss prove about his character in this chapter?
10. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character from the novel and write an essay explaining:
1 - How he displayed bravery or helped the others.
2 - The qualities that this individual displayed that others can learn from.
3 - This character's opinion of the war.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Paul Baumer, including his personality, what he represents, and how Baumer's reactions to the events around him illustrate the nature of his character.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that compares All Quiet on the Western Front to another book about a war. Be sure to include:
1 - Similarities or differences in theme.
2 - Optimistic or pessimistic conclusions.
3 - Whether the other book was for (glorifying) or against (condemning) war.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)