|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kat think they are losing the war?
2. What is it a tedious exercise to kill?
3. Who is fatally wounded in the back?
4. What bed is Kemmerich in?
5. How long does Kropp say the men have had to endure shells and bombs?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
2. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
3. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
4. In this chapter, Katczinsky makes a long speech about why the officers behave the way they do. What does he say?
5. Why does Kantorek's letter make the men angry? Why do you think the men have become old?
6. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
7. Why do the men prefer sharpened shovels to bayonets?
8. How does Haie Westhus feel about the difference between military and civilian life?
9. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
10. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that chooses at least two examples of symbolism from the book. Be sure to explain what the elements symbolize, and why you think the author chose them.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that critiques both Erich Maria Remarque's writing style and the subject matter of the book. Previous reviews of the book may be helpful, but be sure to use original ideas and do not plagiarize.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay outlining your plan for an organization that helps returning soldiers readjust to peacetime. Be sure to address:
1 - The approach of the organization.
2 - Examples from real organizations that will be useful for your plan.
3 - Why you would want to help the soldiers in the first place.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)