|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baumer fall in when counter-attacking the French?
2. What was Detering before he was a soldier?
3. When Baumer and Kropp spilled raw sewage on Himmelstoss, what did he say it meant for them?
4. Who or what do the soldiers have to thank for their good fortune?
5. What do the men throw at the enemy soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Kantorek do to the men?
2. How does Baumer feel at the end of this chapter?
3. What does Himmelstoss prove about his character in this chapter?
4. How was Himmelstoss disgraced?
5. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
6. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
7. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
8. How did the men finally outwit the rats?
9. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
10. How do the men feel about their education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that compares All Quiet on the Western Front to another book about a war. Be sure to include:
1 - Similarities or differences in theme.
2 - Optimistic or pessimistic conclusions.
3 - Whether the other book was for (glorifying) or against (condemning) war.
Essay Topic 2
War has its own general horrors, but also has other specific effects. Research and write an essay about an aftereffect of war, such as Gulf War Syndrome, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, or a refugee crisis. Make sure to explain:
1 - The specific cause.
2 - The nature of the disease or crisis.
3 - Any treatments or solutions available.
4 - How you think the problem could have been prevented, or can be prevented in the future.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the effect of female involvement in the First World War upon Women's Rights.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)