|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the play that Baumer was writing?
2. What do the men have to watch out for while riding back in the lorries?
3. Who hates Himmelstoss the most?
4. What do the men fear more than tanks and low-flying planes?
5. When men such as Himmelstoss get a star or a stripe, it is as though they have swallowed...
Short Essay Questions
1. In this chapter, Katczinsky makes a long speech about why the officers behave the way they do. What does he say?
2. Why does Tjaden have a special grudge against Himmelstoss?
3. Katczinsky recites the rhyme "Give 'em all the same grub and all the same pay / And the war would be over and done in a day". What do you think this means?
4. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
5. Why do the men prefer sharpened shovels to bayonets?
6. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
7. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
8. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
9. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
10. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the causes of World War I, including a time-line of events, and all the responsible people, parties, and governments.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Paul Baumer, including his personality, what he represents, and how Baumer's reactions to the events around him illustrate the nature of his character.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay outlining your plan for an organization that helps returning soldiers readjust to peacetime. Be sure to address:
1 - The approach of the organization.
2 - Examples from real organizations that will be useful for your plan.
3 - Why you would want to help the soldiers in the first place.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)