|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Katczinsky trade Ginger for the beans and beef?
2. What game to the men play while locked up?
3. Who does the crying, fair-haired recruit remind Baumer of?
4. Who died of an inflammation of the lung?
5. What is it a tedious exercise to kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
2. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
3. How did the men break Himmelstoss' power over them?
4. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
5. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
6. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
7. Do you think that it is immoral for Müller to want Kemmerich's boots?
8. How does Haie Westhus feel about the difference between military and civilian life?
9. Why does Tjaden have a special grudge against Himmelstoss?
10. What did Kantorek do to the men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the character of Paul Baumer, including his personality, what he represents, and how Baumer's reactions to the events around him illustrate the nature of his character.
Essay Topic 2
Select and research a soldier who has told a story of remorse over killing enemy combatants or civilians. Present this story in the form of an essay along with your thoughts on the soldier's experience.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the conclusion of All Quiet on the Western Front. Be sure to touch upon:
1 - Your reaction.
2 - How Paul's death influences the overall theme of the novel (hope versus hopelessness).
3 - Whether or not you would have written the book this way, and why.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)