|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tjaden's national dish?
2. What does every soldier believe in and trust?
3. Who hates Himmelstoss the most?
4. When Baumer leaves the hospital, what does he suddenly think of?
5. Katczinsky said the war wouldn't be so bad if they could just get enough...
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baumer feel at the end of this chapter?
2. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
3. How was Himmelstoss disgraced?
4. Baumer muses that "the unhappiness of the world is so often brought on by small men". Why do you think this is?
5. How does Detering he react to the wounded horses, and why? What is his opinion of horses in warfare?
6. How does Haie Westhus feel about the difference between military and civilian life?
7. How do the men feel about their education?
8. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
9. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
10. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War has its own general horrors, but also has other specific effects. Research and write an essay about an aftereffect of war, such as Gulf War Syndrome, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, or a refugee crisis. Make sure to explain:
1 - The specific cause.
2 - The nature of the disease or crisis.
3 - Any treatments or solutions available.
4 - How you think the problem could have been prevented, or can be prevented in the future.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that explains the conventions regarding the treatment of POWs, and your personal opinion about them. Are they too harsh or too lenient? Should different rules be applied to different types of enemies?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of literature as a way to get a message across. Be sure to touch upon:
1 - Examples of literature that have had a great impact.
2 - Literature's effectiveness in comparison to film, music, and art.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)