|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Haie prefer military life to his normal job?
2. What is the cook's name?
3. What does Müller carry?
4. What is the last thing the men see before falling asleep?
5. What do the men find prepared for them on the way to the front?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
2. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
3. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
4. How does Detering he react to the wounded horses, and why? What is his opinion of horses in warfare?
5. How do the men react when they are finally attacked?
6. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
7. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
8. How do the men feel about their education?
9. Where are the characters, and how are they feeling? Where did their "luck" come from?
10. Why does Kantorek's letter make the men angry? Why do you think the men have become old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that chooses at least two examples of symbolism from the book. Be sure to explain what the elements symbolize, and why you think the author chose them.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of literature as a way to get a message across. Be sure to touch upon:
1 - Examples of literature that have had a great impact.
2 - Literature's effectiveness in comparison to film, music, and art.
Essay Topic 3
Select and research a soldier who has told a story of remorse over killing enemy combatants or civilians. Present this story in the form of an essay along with your thoughts on the soldier's experience.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)