|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many reinforcements does the company need?
(a) More than the Kaiser can supply.
(c) At least eighty.
(d) Over a hundred.
2. What did the army reports say on the day Paul died?
(a) No enemy activity at this time.
(b) Paul Baumer is dead.
(c) All quiet on the western front.
(d) Nothing more to report.
3. What did Detering try to do?
(a) Kill Himmelstoss and himself.
(b) Escape and go home.
(c) Run away to Holland.
(d) Steal Paul's bread.
4. What will Baumer's mother undergo for her cancer?
(a) An operation.
(c) Faith healing.
(d) No treatment.
5. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
(a) One of the Territorials shoots a prisoner.
(b) One of the Russians is buried.
(c) Paul gets word that Kantorek has been killed at the front.
(d) Baumer's mother dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beside Baumer's training camp there is a prison of soldiers from what country?
2. What type of expression was on Paul's face when he died?
3. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
4. What do eight of the men have to guard in particular?
5. What makes seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
2. How does Baumer feel about being back at the training camp on the moors? What does Remarque use nature to symbolize?
3. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
4. How does Paul say his generation has been changed, based on his descriptions of the entire book?
5. How is Berger wounded?
6. How does Baumer skin his elbows?
7. Why are the men feeling so ill? How are the enemy troops faring?
8. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
9. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
10. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)