|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Detering try to do?
(a) Steal Paul's bread.
(b) Kill Himmelstoss and himself.
(c) Run away to Holland.
(d) Escape and go home.
2. What does Baumer trade to a sergeant-major for a place with Kropp on the hospital train?
3. What are all the soldiers hoping for?
(a) A breakthrough in the enemy lines.
(b) An armistice.
(d) New tanks.
4. Why was Paul glad when he died?
(a) He was going to rejoin his friends.
(b) The war would soon end.
(c) The end had finally come.
(d) He liked pain.
5. What is on the poster that the men are so fascinated about?
(a) An advertisement for a film.
(b) A girl in a summer dress.
(c) News from the front.
(d) A list of casualties from the most recent attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of license allows a man to do what he wants?
2. Who is dead?
3. Distinctions between the men, such as level of education, can be an advantage, but what else do they bring?
4. What does Detering collect from a tree?
5. What will Baumer's mother undergo for her cancer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men act while eating caviar? Why do they do this?
2. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
3. Baumer states that when men are living so close to death, life is only expressed in a certain way. How does he say life is expressed? How has Paul changed?
4. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
5. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
6. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
7. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
8. What comes over Paul as he lies in the shell-hole? What reassures him?
9. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
10. How does this book make you feel about war?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)