|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
(a) Destroy the picture of the girl.
(b) Get deloused and find some clean clothes.
(c) Sleep, because they are depressed.
(d) Go to town and find prostitutes.
2. What musical instrument does one of the Russian prisoners play?
(a) The piano.
(b) The cello.
(c) The guitar.
(d) The violin.
3. Beside Baumer's training camp there is a prison of soldiers from what country?
4. What did Detering try to do?
(a) Run away to Holland.
(b) Escape and go home.
(c) Kill Himmelstoss and himself.
(d) Steal Paul's bread.
5. How many days leave does Baumer get in total?
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the men's thoughts like?
2. What has Baumer's mother been all her life?
3. What are the only things that Baumer can talk about with his family before he leaves?
4. What does Detering collect from a tree?
5. What type of expression was on Paul's face when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baumer feel about being back at the training camp on the moors? What does Remarque use nature to symbolize?
2. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
3. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
4. How does Baumer skin his elbows?
5. How does this book make you feel about war?
6. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
7. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
8. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
9. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
10. What does Paul think about after the man dies? What does this say about his character?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)