|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month was Paul killed?
2. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
3. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
(a) Sleep, because they are depressed.
(b) Get deloused and find some clean clothes.
(c) Go to town and find prostitutes.
(d) Destroy the picture of the girl.
4. What is wrong with Paul's mother?
(a) She has gone insane.
(b) She has cancer.
(c) She cannot remember her son.
(d) She is angry that Paul did not bring more food.
5. What kind of accent does the singing wireless-man have?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days leave does Baumer get in total?
2. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
3. What are the men's thoughts like?
4. Who does Baumer fail to notice on the street?
5. Who tricks the Russian prisoners into giving them their clothes and crafts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the men feeling so ill? How are the enemy troops faring?
2. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
3. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
4. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
5. Baumer states that when men are living so close to death, life is only expressed in a certain way. How does he say life is expressed? How has Paul changed?
6. How is nature described throughout All Quiet on the Western Front? What does this symbolism mean?
7. How does Paul say his generation has been changed, based on his descriptions of the entire book?
8. What does Baumer say about being happy during the war? What about the memory of the previous days?
9. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
10. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)