|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
(a) One of the Territorials shoots a prisoner.
(b) One of the Russians is buried.
(c) Baumer's mother dies.
(d) Paul gets word that Kantorek has been killed at the front.
2. Who is dead?
3. How many cakes does Baumer give to the Russians?
(d) All of them.
4. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
5. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
2. What kind of accent does the singing wireless-man have?
3. What disease do the prisoners have?
4. What is known about Paul's death?
5. What has Baumer's mother been all her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comes over Paul as he lies in the shell-hole? What reassures him?
2. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
3. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
4. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
5. How does this book make you feel about war?
6. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
7. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
8. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
9. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
10. How does Baumer feel about being back at the training camp on the moors? What does Remarque use nature to symbolize?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)