|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baumer do with the prisoners?
(a) Sets them free.
(b) Knocks them down and kicks them.
(c) Defends them from the other guards.
(d) Gives them each a cigarette.
2. What are the men's thoughts like?
(a) Gunfire, because that is what shapes them.
(b) Bricks, because they are heavy.
(c) Clay, because they can be shaped by events.
(d) Fire, because they burn through the night.
3. What kind of accent does the singing wireless-man have?
4. What must the men do with their new uniforms?
(a) Give them back.
(b) Fold them all as punishment for disrespecting the Kaiser.
(c) Tear them apart for spare material.
(d) Keep them clean or be punished.
5. What part of the war are the men particularly angry about?
(a) The ineffectiveness of the new recruits.
(b) The worn-out barrels of their artillery.
(c) The lack of proper sanitation.
(d) Their treatment by military doctors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives the men terrible bowel troubles?
2. Why does Paul hesitate to get in the bed in the hospital train?
3. How many chapters does All Quiet on the Western Front have?
4. Where was Paul sitting all day?
5. How does the French girl react when Baumer tells her he will never be able to see her again?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
2. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
3. How does this book make you feel about war?
4. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
5. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
6. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
7. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
8. How is Berger wounded?
9. What comes over Paul as he lies in the shell-hole? What reassures him?
10. How do the men act while eating caviar? Why do they do this?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)