|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
2. What gives the men terrible bowel troubles?
(a) The rotten vegetables.
(b) The potato-cakes.
(c) The constant shelling.
(d) The pigs.
3. Who brought in Haie Westhus when he was wounded?
4. Who is dead?
5. How many cakes does Baumer give to the Russians?
(c) All of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men make a grater?
2. In what month was Paul killed?
3. What did the army reports say on the day Paul died?
4. Other than their legs, what does the men's new duty allow them to stretch?
5. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
2. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
3. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
4. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
5. How does Paul say his generation has been changed, based on his descriptions of the entire book?
6. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
7. What does Paul think about after the man dies? What does this say about his character?
8. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
9. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
10. Baumer states that when men are living so close to death, life is only expressed in a certain way. How does he say life is expressed? How has Paul changed?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)