|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the men's thoughts like?
(a) Gunfire, because that is what shapes them.
(b) Bricks, because they are heavy.
(c) Clay, because they can be shaped by events.
(d) Fire, because they burn through the night.
2. What do the men bring to the French girls as presents?
(b) Stolen jewellery.
3. What does Baumer's mother send to him before he leaves?
(a) Sausage and bread.
(b) New boots.
(c) Potato-cakes and jam.
(d) Woolen underwear.
4. What class is Paul mother in in the hospital?
5. Where was Paul sitting all day?
(a) On a cart.
(b) In a garden.
(c) In the trenches.
(d) In the dug-out.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
2. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
3. Who does Baumer fail to notice on the street?
4. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
5. What did everyone in the world say "yes" to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is nature described throughout All Quiet on the Western Front? What does this symbolism mean?
2. How does this book make you feel about war?
3. How is Berger wounded?
4. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
5. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
6. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
7. Baumer states that when men are living so close to death, life is only expressed in a certain way. How does he say life is expressed? How has Paul changed?
8. How does Paul say his generation has been changed, based on his descriptions of the entire book?
9. What does Paul think about after the man dies? What does this say about his character?
10. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)