|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the last survivor of the original group?
2. The men have become instinctual like...
(a) Trained dogs.
3. Who does Baumer fail to notice on the street?
(a) A major, who gets angry at him.
(b) His old school friend, who is happy to see him.
(c) His former girlfriend, who is annoyed by him.
(d) His father, who is furious with him.
4. What did the man that Baumer kills do for a living?
5. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
(a) Eating a full meal.
(b) Putting on the heavy chest-armor issued to all the men.
(c) Singing the German national anthem.
(d) Praying to God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do eight of the men have to guard in particular?
2. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
3. What do the men find to eat?
4. Why does Paul hesitate to get in the bed in the hospital train?
5. What must the men do with their new uniforms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
2. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
3. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
4. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
5. How is Berger wounded?
6. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
7. What does Baumer say about being happy during the war? What about the memory of the previous days?
8. How does this book make you feel about war?
9. How do the men act while eating caviar? Why do they do this?
10. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)