|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
(a) Praying to God.
(b) Eating a full meal.
(c) Putting on the heavy chest-armor issued to all the men.
(d) Singing the German national anthem.
2. What do the men bring to the French girls as presents?
(c) Stolen jewellery.
3. How many cakes does Baumer give to the Russians?
(a) All of them.
4. What exasperates the men more than the front line?
(a) The rear-area.
(b) Full-dress parades.
(c) Their commanding officers.
(d) The food.
5. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
(a) Because he feels an attachment to his comrades.
(b) To keep the enemy on guard.
(c) To help collect the dead soldiers.
(d) To keep him feeling like a soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is coming to inspect the men?
2. What does Detering collect from a tree?
3. How many days leave does Baumer get in total?
4. What did everyone in the world say "yes" to?
5. Who tricks the Russian prisoners into giving them their clothes and crafts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
2. How does this book make you feel about war?
3. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
4. What does Baumer say about being happy during the war? What about the memory of the previous days?
5. Why are the men feeling so ill? How are the enemy troops faring?
6. How do the men act while eating caviar? Why do they do this?
7. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
8. How does Paul say his generation has been changed, based on his descriptions of the entire book?
9. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
10. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)