|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many cakes does Baumer give to the Russians?
(b) All of them.
2. What musical instrument does one of the Russian prisoners play?
(a) The violin.
(b) The cello.
(c) The guitar.
(d) The piano.
3. How many chapters does All Quiet on the Western Front have?
4. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
(a) Putting on the heavy chest-armor issued to all the men.
(b) Eating a full meal.
(c) Singing the German national anthem.
(d) Praying to God.
5. What happened to Kat and Kropp while Baumer was away on leave?
(a) Kat was killed.
(c) Kropp was mortally wounded.
(d) No one knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. Distinctions between the men, such as level of education, can be an advantage, but what else do they bring?
2. What makes seven?
3. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
4. Who is dead?
5. Beside Baumer's training camp there is a prison of soldiers from what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Berger wounded?
2. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
3. What comes over Paul as he lies in the shell-hole? What reassures him?
4. How does this book make you feel about war?
5. What does Baumer say about being happy during the war? What about the memory of the previous days?
6. Baumer states that when men are living so close to death, life is only expressed in a certain way. How does he say life is expressed? How has Paul changed?
7. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
8. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
9. How is nature described throughout All Quiet on the Western Front? What does this symbolism mean?
10. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)