|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do eight of the men have to guard in particular?
(a) An outpost.
(b) A supply dump.
(c) A graveyard.
(d) A watch-tower.
2. How many days leave does Baumer get in total?
(c) One week.
3. What does Baumer do with the prisoners?
(a) Sets them free.
(b) Gives them each a cigarette.
(c) Defends them from the other guards.
(d) Knocks them down and kicks them.
4. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
(a) Baumer's mother dies.
(b) One of the Territorials shoots a prisoner.
(c) Paul gets word that Kantorek has been killed at the front.
(d) One of the Russians is buried.
5. What is known about Paul's death?
(a) He killed himself.
(b) He cried and begged until the bitter end.
(c) He did not suffer long.
(d) He died heroically.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease do the prisoners have?
2. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
3. What do the men bring to the French girls as presents?
4. How many chapters does All Quiet on the Western Front have?
5. What did Detering try to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
2. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
3. How does Paul say his generation has been changed, based on his descriptions of the entire book?
4. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
5. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
6. Baumer states that when men are living so close to death, life is only expressed in a certain way. How does he say life is expressed? How has Paul changed?
7. What does Baumer say about being happy during the war? What about the memory of the previous days?
8. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
9. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
10. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)