|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men bring to the French girls as presents?
(b) Stolen jewellery.
2. What makes seven?
(a) Four plus three.
(b) Three whole-wits plus eight half-wits.
(c) Six men and two half-wits.
(d) Four and a half-wits.
3. What disease do the prisoners have?
(d) The plague.
4. What gives the men terrible bowel troubles?
(a) The potato-cakes.
(b) The constant shelling.
(c) The rotten vegetables.
(d) The pigs.
5. How was Müller killed?
(a) He is obliterated by artillery.
(b) He is shot in the stomach.
(c) His is nailed in the head by a sniper.
(d) He steps on a mine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men find to eat?
2. What type of expression was on Paul's face when he died?
3. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
4. What will Baumer's mother undergo for her cancer?
5. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
2. How does Baumer skin his elbows?
3. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
4. How does Paul say his generation has been changed, based on his descriptions of the entire book?
5. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
6. How does Baumer feel about being back at the training camp on the moors? What does Remarque use nature to symbolize?
7. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
8. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
9. What does Paul think about after the man dies? What does this say about his character?
10. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)