|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of expression was on Paul's face when he died?
2. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
(a) Praying to God.
(b) Eating a full meal.
(c) Putting on the heavy chest-armor issued to all the men.
(d) Singing the German national anthem.
3. How was Müller killed?
(a) His is nailed in the head by a sniper.
(b) He is shot in the stomach.
(c) He is obliterated by artillery.
(d) He steps on a mine.
4. What is wrong with Paul's mother?
(a) She cannot remember her son.
(b) She has gone insane.
(c) She has cancer.
(d) She is angry that Paul did not bring more food.
5. What did the army reports say on the day Paul died?
(a) All quiet on the western front.
(b) No enemy activity at this time.
(c) Paul Baumer is dead.
(d) Nothing more to report.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baumer's mother send to him before he leaves?
2. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
3. What happened to Kat and Kropp while Baumer was away on leave?
4. How does the French girl react when Baumer tells her he will never be able to see her again?
5. What does Kat say is good for loose bowels?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Berger wounded?
2. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
3. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
4. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
5. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
6. How does Baumer skin his elbows?
7. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
8. How is nature described throughout All Quiet on the Western Front? What does this symbolism mean?
9. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
10. How does this book make you feel about war?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)