|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
2. What does Baumer do with the prisoners?
(a) Sets them free.
(b) Defends them from the other guards.
(c) Knocks them down and kicks them.
(d) Gives them each a cigarette.
3. What did the man that Baumer kills do for a living?
4. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
(a) He is caught in an enemy attack and must hide.
(b) He is overcome by fear.
(c) All of the above.
(d) He kills a man.
5. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
(a) To keep him feeling like a soldier.
(b) Because he feels an attachment to his comrades.
(c) To keep the enemy on guard.
(d) To help collect the dead soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
2. What does Kropp have at home?
3. Why does Paul hesitate to get in the bed in the hospital train?
4. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
5. How many cakes does Baumer give to the Russians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul think about after the man dies? What does this say about his character?
2. What does Baumer say about being happy during the war? What about the memory of the previous days?
3. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
4. How does this book make you feel about war?
5. How does Baumer skin his elbows?
6. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
7. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
8. How is Berger wounded?
9. What comes over Paul as he lies in the shell-hole? What reassures him?
10. How do the men act while eating caviar? Why do they do this?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)