|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the army reports say on the day Paul died?
(a) Nothing more to report.
(b) No enemy activity at this time.
(c) All quiet on the western front.
(d) Paul Baumer is dead.
2. How does the French girl react when Baumer tells her he will never be able to see her again?
(a) She tries to explain a plan for them to run away together.
(b) She tells Baumer that she is pregnant.
(c) She is furious at Baumer.
(d) She does not really notice.
3. What happened to Kat and Kropp while Baumer was away on leave?
(a) Kropp was mortally wounded.
(b) No one knows.
(d) Kat was killed.
4. What will the generation that grows up after Paul's do with his generation?
(a) Send them to prison.
(b) Give them support.
(c) Use them as cheap labor.
(d) Push them aside.
5. Where do the men think they will be going?
(a) Back home to defend Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instrument does one of the Russian prisoners play?
2. Why does Paul hesitate to get in the bed in the hospital train?
3. What is wrong with Paul's mother?
4. What type of expression was on Paul's face when he died?
5. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
2. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
3. What does Paul think about after the man dies? What does this say about his character?
4. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
5. How do the men act while eating caviar? Why do they do this?
6. Baumer states that when men are living so close to death, life is only expressed in a certain way. How does he say life is expressed? How has Paul changed?
7. How does this book make you feel about war?
8. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
9. Why are the men feeling so ill? How are the enemy troops faring?
10. What does Baumer say about being happy during the war? What about the memory of the previous days?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)