|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first family member to see Paul when he returns home on leave?
(a) His brother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
2. Why does Paul have two weeks off?
(a) He swallowed some gas.
(b) He showed bravery in a recent offensive.
(c) He was given sanity leave.
(d) He escaped from the military.
3. What did the man that Baumer kills do for a living?
4. What will Baumer's mother undergo for her cancer?
(a) Faith healing.
(b) No treatment.
(c) An operation.
5. What does Kat say is good for loose bowels?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
2. The men have become instinctual like...
3. What weapon are the men newly afraid of?
4. What does Baumer's mother send to him before he leaves?
5. Why does Paul want to let the months and years come?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
2. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
3. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
4. Why are the men feeling so ill? How are the enemy troops faring?
5. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
6. What does Paul think about after the man dies? What does this say about his character?
7. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
8. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
9. How is Berger wounded?
10. What comes over Paul as he lies in the shell-hole? What reassures him?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)