|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes seven?
(a) Three whole-wits plus eight half-wits.
(b) Four and a half-wits.
(c) Six men and two half-wits.
(d) Four plus three.
2. Why was Paul glad when he died?
(a) The end had finally come.
(b) The war would soon end.
(c) He was going to rejoin his friends.
(d) He liked pain.
3. Who is coming to inspect the men?
(a) The Prussian.
(b) The Kaiser.
(d) The Commandante.
4. What must the men do with their new uniforms?
(a) Give them back.
(b) Tear them apart for spare material.
(c) Keep them clean or be punished.
(d) Fold them all as punishment for disrespecting the Kaiser.
5. What is known about Paul's death?
(a) He cried and begged until the bitter end.
(b) He died heroically.
(c) He killed himself.
(d) He did not suffer long.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of 1918 is the bloodiest yet?
2. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
3. How do the men make a grater?
4. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
5. What does Detering collect from a tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
2. How does Baumer feel about being back at the training camp on the moors? What does Remarque use nature to symbolize?
3. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
4. How does Baumer skin his elbows?
5. What does Paul think about after the man dies? What does this say about his character?
6. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
7. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
8. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
9. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
10. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)