|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beside Baumer's training camp there is a prison of soldiers from what country?
2. What does Baumer trade to a sergeant-major for a place with Kropp on the hospital train?
3. What will the generation that grows up after Paul's do with his generation?
(a) Send them to prison.
(b) Use them as cheap labor.
(c) Push them aside.
(d) Give them support.
4. What is on the poster that the men are so fascinated about?
(a) A list of casualties from the most recent attack.
(b) A girl in a summer dress.
(c) News from the front.
(d) An advertisement for a film.
5. What is known about Paul's death?
(a) He died heroically.
(b) He did not suffer long.
(c) He cried and begged until the bitter end.
(d) He killed himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month was Paul killed?
2. How many days leave does Baumer get in total?
3. Who does Baumer fail to notice on the street?
4. What is wrong with Paul's mother?
5. What are all the soldiers hoping for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Berger wounded?
2. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
3. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
4. How is nature described throughout All Quiet on the Western Front? What does this symbolism mean?
5. What does Paul think about after the man dies? What does this say about his character?
6. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
7. Why are the men feeling so ill? How are the enemy troops faring?
8. How does the French girl make Baumer feel?
9. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
10. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)