|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Detering collect from a tree?
(c) Bare branches.
(d) Cherry blossoms.
2. Why does Paul have two weeks off?
(a) He showed bravery in a recent offensive.
(b) He was given sanity leave.
(c) He escaped from the military.
(d) He swallowed some gas.
3. What does Kat say is good for loose bowels?
4. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
5. Why does Paul hesitate to get in the bed in the hospital train?
(a) It is an officer's bed.
(b) The sheets are too clean.
(c) He doesn't want to get in without giving the sergeant-major the cigars.
(d) It is covered with blood from the previous occupant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class is Paul mother in in the hospital?
2. Other than their legs, what does the men's new duty allow them to stretch?
3. Where was Paul sitting all day?
4. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
5. What has Baumer's mother been all her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this book make you feel about war?
2. How is Company Commander Bertink killed?
3. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
4. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
5. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
6. How does Baumer skin his elbows?
7. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
8. How is Berger wounded?
9. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
10. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)