|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the men take cover from the heavy shelling?
(a) A graveyard.
(b) The woods.
(c) The house where Kat saw the geese.
(d) The burned-out lorries.
2. When do the English gunners usually start firing?
(a) Eight thirty.
(b) Five o'clock.
(c) Eleven o'clock.
(d) Ten o'clock.
3. What pattern is on the bedding in the men's barracks?
(a) Stars and stripes.
(d) A patchwork quilt of war-scenes.
4. What was the name of the other soldier who wet the bed?
5. What card game are the men playing?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men know they are near the sea?
2. What did Kropp lose in his bet about the German airplane?
3. How many men survived the last day at the front?
4. Who hates Himmelstoss the most?
5. What do the men fear more than tanks and low-flying planes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kropp think war should be like?
2. Why does Tjaden have a special grudge against Himmelstoss?
3. How do the men feel about their education?
4. Where are the characters, and how are they feeling? Where did their "luck" come from?
5. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
6. How did the men break Himmelstoss' power over them?
7. Describe the bond that exists between Baumer and Kropp.
8. Why does Kantorek's letter make the men angry? Why do you think the men have become old?
9. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
10. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)