|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Himmelstoss force Baumer and Kropp to clean the Corporals' Mess with?
(a) Nothing but their hands.
(b) A single paper towel.
(c) A fine comb.
(d) A toothbrush.
2. What is it a tedious exercise to kill?
(b) The bacteria that cause trench-foot.
(c) Flamethrower troops.
3. Why was the fair-haired recruit so embarrassed?
(a) He soiled himself.
(b) His pants had fallen down.
(c) He had let one of his comrades die.
(d) He was crying.
4. How does Baumer feel towards Kat?
(a) He loves him.
(b) He tolerates him.
(c) He is indifferent towards him.
(d) He resents him.
5. What does Kropp call the new reinforcements?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Müller carry?
2. What is the last thing the men see before falling asleep?
3. What is Kropp's first name?
4. What does an old buffer describe the men as?
5. What does Haie often dream of?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
2. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
3. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
4. How does Haie Westhus feel about the difference between military and civilian life?
5. How do the men feel about their education?
6. How does Detering he react to the wounded horses, and why? What is his opinion of horses in warfare?
7. How did the men break Himmelstoss' power over them?
8. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
9. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
10. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)