|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Baumer and Kropp spilled raw sewage on Himmelstoss, what did he say it meant for them?
2. What are the men at rest five miles from?
(a) The beach.
(d) The front.
3. What are there rumors of?
(a) An offensive.
(b) A new British weapon.
(c) A spy.
(d) Volunteer duty.
4. What is the men's sole ambition?
(a) To send the dog after a salesman.
(b) To kick the pants off a police officer.
(c) To pull the wool over the eyes of a general.
(d) To knock the conceit out of a postman.
5. When the men enlisted, what did many of them do for the first time before going to the barracks?
(c) Have sex.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main character's name?
2. What do the men wrap Himmelstoss in when they beat him?
3. Why is Müller in a good mood?
4. When do the English gunners usually start firing?
5. What "game" did Himmelstoss used to make the men play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
2. Why did Baumer and Kat want to kill the fair-haired young recruit? Why didn't they do it?
3. Baumer muses that "the unhappiness of the world is so often brought on by small men". Why do you think this is?
4. How does Haie Westhus feel about the difference between military and civilian life?
5. When referring to Müller and Kemmerich, Baumer he states that they no longer have any sense of "artificial considerations". What do you think he means?
6. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
7. Why does Tjaden have a special grudge against Himmelstoss?
8. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
9. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
10. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)