|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the crying, fair-haired recruit remind Baumer of?
2. Who hates Himmelstoss the most?
3. According to Haie, what is revenge?
(a) Christmas pudding.
(b) Black pudding.
(c) White pudding.
(d) Chocolate pudding.
4. Why does Kat think they are losing the war?
(a) They salute too well.
(b) The commanders are incompetent.
(c) The British artillery is too accurate.
(d) They spend too much time sleeping.
5. What does Müller offer Baumer a fine piece of?
(d) Red pudding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Himmelstoss force Baumer and Kropp to clean the Corporals' Mess with?
2. Who has his head torn off beside Baumer?
3. What do the men find prepared for them on the way to the front?
4. What is Tjaden's national dish?
5. What card game are the men playing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
2. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
3. What does Kropp think war should be like?
4. How did the men break Himmelstoss' power over them?
5. How did the men finally outwit the rats?
6. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
7. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
8. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
9. How was Himmelstoss disgraced?
10. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)