|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does every soldier believe in and trust?
(b) His comrades.
(c) His rifle.
2. Where are the soldiers who are not in the mess line or the dressing-station?
(a) Pushing up daisies.
(b) Fighting on the front-lines.
(c) Eating breakfast.
(d) Tending to the wounded.
3. What new danger do the men face while taking cover?
(c) Incendiary rounds.
(d) The living dead.
4. What name do the men call the British?
5. How do the men refer to Germany?
(a) The Disneyland.
(b) The Fatherland.
(c) The Motherland.
(d) The Homeland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haie often dream of?
2. What does Himmelstoss threaten to do to Tjaden?
3. What is the men's sole ambition?
4. Kat's masterpiece was four boxes of...
5. What word does Baumer use to describe Tjaden at the beginning of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
2. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
3. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
4. How did the men break Himmelstoss' power over them?
5. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
6. How did the men finally outwit the rats?
7. Why does Kantorek's letter make the men angry? Why do you think the men have become old?
8. How do the men feel about their education?
9. In this chapter, Katczinsky makes a long speech about why the officers behave the way they do. What does he say?
10. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)