|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What flowers fill the meadow that the men are sitting in?
2. What do the men wrap Himmelstoss in when they beat him?
(a) A pillowcase.
(b) Wire bedding.
(c) Tow cable.
(d) A bed cover.
3. Who has his head torn off beside Baumer?
(b) A sergeant.
(c) A lance-corporal.
(d) A recruit.
4. What was the name of the other soldier who wet the bed?
5. What word describes almost all sergeant-majors?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it a tedious exercise to kill?
2. What is there a lot more of now in the trenches?
3. Who is coming to the front?
4. Why do the men know they are near the sea?
5. What do the men throw at the enemy soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baumer feel at the end of this chapter?
2. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
3. Baumer muses that "the unhappiness of the world is so often brought on by small men". Why do you think this is?
4. When referring to Müller and Kemmerich, Baumer he states that they no longer have any sense of "artificial considerations". What do you think he means?
5. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
6. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
7. How was Himmelstoss disgraced?
8. Why do the men prefer sharpened shovels to bayonets?
9. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
10. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)