|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Müller offer Baumer a fine piece of?
(d) Red pudding.
2. Why do the men know they are near the sea?
(a) They can feel the cold.
(b) They can hear seabirds.
(c) They can smell the water.
(d) They find a boat.
3. Who died of an inflammation of the lung?
4. When the men enlisted, what did many of them do for the first time before going to the barracks?
(b) Have sex.
5. Who has a special reason to hate Himmelstoss?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kat so worried about?
2. Katczinsky said the war wouldn't be so bad if they could just get enough...
3. What do the men find prepared for them on the way to the front?
4. What name do the men call the British?
5. How many men survived the last day at the front?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Himmelstoss disgraced?
2. How did the men finally outwit the rats?
3. Why does Kantorek's letter make the men angry? Why do you think the men have become old?
4. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
5. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
6. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
7. Baumer muses that "the unhappiness of the world is so often brought on by small men". Why do you think this is?
8. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
9. Katczinsky recites the rhyme "Give 'em all the same grub and all the same pay / And the war would be over and done in a day". What do you think this means?
10. Do you think that it is immoral for Müller to want Kemmerich's boots?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)