|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the French famous for on the front?
(a) Up-to-date weaponry.
(b) Corned beef.
(c) Well-trained soldiers.
(d) Vicious attacks.
2. What are the men at rest five miles from?
(c) The front.
(d) The beach.
3. Katczinsky said the war wouldn't be so bad if they could just get enough...
4. What do the men fear more than tanks and low-flying planes?
(a) Special forces.
5. When men such as Himmelstoss get a star or a stripe, it is as though they have swallowed...
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what do the soldiers have to thank for their good fortune?
2. What do Baumer and Kat want to do to the wounded young recruit?
3. What personal problem does Tjaden have?
4. How do gunpowder fumes taste?
5. Who is bothered the most by the sound of the wounded horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
2. Why does Kantorek's letter make the men angry? Why do you think the men have become old?
3. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
4. When referring to Müller and Kemmerich, Baumer he states that they no longer have any sense of "artificial considerations". What do you think he means?
5. Do you think that it is immoral for Müller to want Kemmerich's boots?
6. Why do the men prefer sharpened shovels to bayonets?
7. How was Himmelstoss disgraced?
8. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
9. What does Himmelstoss prove about his character in this chapter?
10. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)