|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who or what do the soldiers have to thank for their good fortune?
(a) The Prussian.
(b) The turning tide of the war.
(c) A miscalculation.
(d) The weather.
2. Who has his head torn off beside Baumer?
(b) A sergeant.
(c) A lance-corporal.
(d) A recruit.
3. What is the cook's name?
(c) All of the above.
(d) The sergeant-cook.
4. What distinguishes Kropp from the other characters?
(a) He is the tallest.
(b) He is the bravest.
(c) He is the most cowardly.
(d) He is the clearest thinker.
5. Who is Kantorek?
(a) The men's old schoolmaster.
(b) The men's old barber.
(c) The men's old friend.
(d) The men's old bartender.
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment do the men receive for insulting Himmelstoss?
2. Who is bothered the most by the sound of the wounded horses?
3. What game to the men play while locked up?
4. What does Müller carry?
5. What is Kropp's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baumer feel at the end of this chapter?
2. Describe the bond that exists between Baumer and Kropp.
3. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
4. Why did Baumer and Kat want to kill the fair-haired young recruit? Why didn't they do it?
5. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
6. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
7. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
8. Baumer muses that "the unhappiness of the world is so often brought on by small men". Why do you think this is?
9. What does Himmelstoss prove about his character in this chapter?
10. How do the men feel about their education?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)