|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do gunpowder fumes taste?
2. What is there a lot more of now in the trenches?
(b) High spirits.
3. According to Kat, why does a trained dog snap at a piece of meat?
(a) It's his nature.
(b) He's always hungry.
(d) Because he was trained to.
4. What is Kat so worried about?
5. How does Baumer feel towards Kat?
(a) He loves him.
(b) He tolerates him.
(c) He is indifferent towards him.
(d) He resents him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the men's platoon leader during training?
2. What do the men salvage for parts to send home?
3. What does Baumer grab for the men's dinner?
4. What is Kropp's first name?
5. Who hates Himmelstoss the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tjaden have a special grudge against Himmelstoss?
2. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
3. How does Baumer feel about being back at the training camp on the moors? What does Remarque use nature to symbolize?
4. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
5. How does Paul say his generation has been changed, based on his descriptions of the entire book?
6. How did the men break Himmelstoss' power over them?
7. How does this book make you feel about war?
8. Where are the characters, and how are they feeling? Where did their "luck" come from?
9. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
10. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)