|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Kemmerich?
(a) Not a day over twenty.
(b) Almost twenty-one.
(c) Nineteen and a half.
2. Why does the orderly glance at Kemmerich and then leave?
(a) He is preparing to euthanize him.
(b) He is doing the rounds.
(c) He is waiting, and wants the bed.
(d) He is checking up on him.
3. What punishment do the men receive for insulting Himmelstoss?
(a) Solitary confinement.
(b) House arrest.
(c) Open arrest.
4. What did Himmelstoss force Baumer and Kropp to clean the Corporals' Mess with?
(a) Nothing but their hands.
(b) A toothbrush.
(c) A single paper towel.
(d) A fine comb.
5. Who arrives at the front lines?
(a) The Kaiser.
(d) Winston Churchill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men find prepared for them on the way to the front?
2. What does Kropp call the new reinforcements?
3. What flowers fill the meadow that the men are sitting in?
4. What does Müller carry?
5. How many men were wounded by friendly fire in the first night at the front?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
2. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
3. Why did Baumer and Kat want to kill the fair-haired young recruit? Why didn't they do it?
4. Do you think that it is immoral for Müller to want Kemmerich's boots?
5. Where are the characters, and how are they feeling? Where did their "luck" come from?
6. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
7. What does Kropp think war should be like?
8. How did the men finally outwit the rats?
9. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
10. Describe the bond that exists between Baumer and Kropp.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)