|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word describes almost all sergeant-majors?
2. How many days ago did the soldiers have to relieve the front line?
3. When the men enlisted, what did many of them do for the first time before going to the barracks?
(c) Have sex.
4. What do the men find prepared for them on the way to the front?
(b) An American unit.
(d) A victory celebration.
5. What are there rumors of?
(a) An offensive.
(b) A spy.
(c) Volunteer duty.
(d) A new British weapon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men have to watch out for while riding back in the lorries?
2. According to Kat, why does a trained dog snap at a piece of meat?
3. What does Baumer grab for the men's dinner?
4. Who is coming to the front?
5. What name do the men call the British?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
2. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
3. What did Kantorek do to the men?
4. Katczinsky recites the rhyme "Give 'em all the same grub and all the same pay / And the war would be over and done in a day". What do you think this means?
5. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
6. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
7. How did the men break Himmelstoss' power over them?
8. Do you think that it is immoral for Müller to want Kemmerich's boots?
9. How does Haie Westhus feel about the difference between military and civilian life?
10. How was Himmelstoss disgraced?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)