|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do gunpowder fumes taste?
2. What do the men fear more than tanks and low-flying planes?
(d) Special forces.
3. What are the French famous for on the front?
(a) Well-trained soldiers.
(b) Vicious attacks.
(c) Up-to-date weaponry.
(d) Corned beef.
4. Who hates Himmelstoss the most?
5. How many days ago did the soldiers have to relieve the front line?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kat's masterpiece was four boxes of...
2. What does Tjaden call Himmelstoss?
3. How many men survived the last day at the front?
4. How many men were wounded by friendly fire in the first night at the front?
5. Why does the orderly glance at Kemmerich and then leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kropp think war should be like?
2. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
3. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
4. Baumer muses that "the unhappiness of the world is so often brought on by small men". Why do you think this is?
5. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
6. Katczinsky recites the rhyme "Give 'em all the same grub and all the same pay / And the war would be over and done in a day". What do you think this means?
7. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
8. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
9. What does Himmelstoss prove about his character in this chapter?
10. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)