|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men salvage for parts to send home?
(a) Transport vehicles.
(b) Parachute bombs.
2. What does Baumer fall in when counter-attacking the French?
(a) A dug-out.
(b) Love with a French girl.
(c) A trench.
(d) Someone's belly.
3. Why does Kat think they are losing the war?
(a) The British artillery is too accurate.
(b) The commanders are incompetent.
(c) They salute too well.
(d) They spend too much time sleeping.
4. What type of cheese are the men given?
5. When men such as Himmelstoss get a star or a stripe, it is as though they have swallowed...
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing the men see before falling asleep?
2. When Kemmerich died, what did his eyes resemble?
3. Who hates Himmelstoss the most?
4. Where do the men take cover from the heavy shelling?
5. What platoon did Baumer, Kropp, Müller, and Kemmerich join?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the men break Himmelstoss' power over them?
2. What does Himmelstoss prove about his character in this chapter?
3. Why do the men prefer sharpened shovels to bayonets?
4. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
5. What is Kat's special talent? What does he do for the men?
6. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
7. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
8. In this chapter, Katczinsky makes a long speech about why the officers behave the way they do. What does he say?
9. How do the men feel about their education?
10. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)