|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tjaden call Himmelstoss?
(a) A squawking bird.
(b) A stinky pig.
(c) A stupid cow.
(d) A dirty hound.
2. How do gunpowder fumes taste?
3. When Baumer leaves the hospital, what does he suddenly think of?
(a) Ladies, blue skies, and romantic evenings.
(b) Women, alehouses, and golden sunsets.
(c) Maids, grassy fields, and grasshoppers.
(d) Girls, flowery meadows, and white clouds.
4. When do the English gunners usually start firing?
(a) Eleven o'clock.
(b) Five o'clock.
(c) Eight thirty.
(d) Ten o'clock.
5. Who died of an inflammation of the lung?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what do the soldiers have to thank for their good fortune?
2. Who is Kantorek?
3. How does Baumer feel towards Kat?
4. Why is Müller in a good mood?
5. How many deaths does the orderly think there will be on the day Kemmerich dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul say his generation has been changed, based on his descriptions of the entire book?
2. What does Himmelstoss prove about his character in this chapter?
3. How is nature described throughout All Quiet on the Western Front? What does this symbolism mean?
4. What does Kropp think war should be like?
5. Baumer states that when men are living so close to death, life is only expressed in a certain way. How does he say life is expressed? How has Paul changed?
6. How does Baumer feel about being back at the training camp on the moors? What does Remarque use nature to symbolize?
7. What does Kropp decide to do if his leg is amputated? Why do the doctors amputate so quickly?
8. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
9. Why is Baumer sad that he gets to be away from the front for so long?
10. What do the men think about being assigned to guard the supply dump?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)