|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game to the men play while locked up?
2. What does Haie often dream of?
(a) The beating they gave to Himmelstoss.
(b) Being killed in battle.
(c) The abuse he received at the hands of Himmelstoss.
(d) Going home and forgetting about the war.
3. What are the French famous for on the front?
(a) Corned beef.
(b) Vicious attacks.
(c) Up-to-date weaponry.
(d) Well-trained soldiers.
4. What did Baumer and Kemmerich used to catch in the lane of poplars by the Klosterbach?
5. What is the last thing the men see before falling asleep?
(a) Himmelstoss' face.
(b) The flashing of the explosions at the front.
(c) The outlines of the huts.
(d) The bones of the goose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baumer grab for the men's dinner?
2. According to Haie, what is revenge?
3. When Baumer and Kropp spilled raw sewage on Himmelstoss, what did he say it meant for them?
4. What is the main character's name?
5. What is Kropp's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tjaden have a special grudge against Himmelstoss?
2. Katczinsky recites the rhyme "Give 'em all the same grub and all the same pay / And the war would be over and done in a day". What do you think this means?
3. How did the men break Himmelstoss' power over them?
4. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
5. In this chapter, Katczinsky makes a long speech about why the officers behave the way they do. What does he say?
6. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
7. Why did Baumer and Kat want to kill the fair-haired young recruit? Why didn't they do it?
8. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
9. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
10. How does Baumer feel at the end of this chapter?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)