|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What platoon did Baumer, Kropp, Müller, and Kemmerich join?
2. What is Lohne?
(a) The most dangerous area of the front.
(b) A railway junction.
(c) A library.
(d) Baumer's hometown.
3. Who has his head torn off beside Baumer?
(a) A sergeant.
(c) A recruit.
(d) A lance-corporal.
4. What do the men find prepared for them on the way to the front?
(a) An American unit.
(b) A victory celebration.
5. When the men enlisted, what did many of them do for the first time before going to the barracks?
(d) Have sex.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Stanislaus Katczinsky?
2. How many men survived the last day at the front?
3. What card game are the men playing?
4. Why does the orderly glance at Kemmerich and then leave?
5. What are there rumors of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the men prefer sharpened shovels to bayonets?
2. How does Baumer feel at the end of this chapter?
3. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
4. Do you think that it is immoral for Müller to want Kemmerich's boots?
5. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
6. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
7. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
8. What does Himmelstoss prove about his character in this chapter?
9. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
10. How does Haie Westhus feel about the difference between military and civilian life?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)