|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distinguishes Kropp from the other characters?
(a) He is the clearest thinker.
(b) He is the bravest.
(c) He is the tallest.
(d) He is the most cowardly.
2. What personal problem does Tjaden have?
(a) He is claustrophobic.
(b) He is an alcoholic.
(c) He isn't very smart.
(d) He is a bed-wetter.
3. How many men were wounded by friendly fire in the first night at the front?
(c) A dozen.
4. What type of cheese are the men given?
5. What "game" did Himmelstoss used to make the men play?
(a) Parts of the 98 rifle.
(b) Fall forward.
(c) Change at Lohne.
(d) The cook-house game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Kropp lose in his bet about the German airplane?
2. What type of animal does Kat notice and want to eat?
3. Who is Stanislaus Katczinsky?
4. Kat's masterpiece was four boxes of...
5. What did Baumer and Kemmerich used to catch in the lane of poplars by the Klosterbach?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
2. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
3. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
4. Why do the men prefer sharpened shovels to bayonets?
5. What does Kropp think war should be like?
6. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
7. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
8. How do the men feel about their education?
9. How did the men finally outwit the rats?
10. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)