|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Kemmerich?
(a) Not a day over twenty.
(b) Nineteen and a half.
(c) Almost twenty-one.
2. What bed is Kemmerich in?
3. How many men were wounded by friendly fire in the first night at the front?
(c) A dozen.
4. What do the men throw at the enemy soldiers?
(c) Empty rifles with bayonets.
5. What are the French famous for on the front?
(a) Up-to-date weaponry.
(b) Vicious attacks.
(c) Well-trained soldiers.
(d) Corned beef.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "game" did Himmelstoss used to make the men play?
2. Katczinsky said the war wouldn't be so bad if they could just get enough...
3. When the men enlisted, what did many of them do for the first time before going to the barracks?
4. When Baumer and Kropp spilled raw sewage on Himmelstoss, what did he say it meant for them?
5. What does Tjaden call Himmelstoss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
2. Baumer muses that "the unhappiness of the world is so often brought on by small men". Why do you think this is?
3. Why did Baumer and Kat want to kill the fair-haired young recruit? Why didn't they do it?
4. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
5. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
6. When referring to Müller and Kemmerich, Baumer he states that they no longer have any sense of "artificial considerations". What do you think he means?
7. Why do the men prefer sharpened shovels to bayonets?
8. What happens to the young recruits in the dug-out?
9. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
10. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)