|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men find prepared for them on the way to the front?
(a) An American unit.
(b) A victory celebration.
2. What is the main character's name?
(a) Haie Westhus
(b) Paul Baumer.
(c) Albert Kropp.
(d) Stanislaus Katczinsky.
3. What was Detering before he was a soldier?
4. Who arrives at the front lines?
(a) Winston Churchill.
(c) The Kaiser.
5. Why does the orderly glance at Kemmerich and then leave?
(a) He is doing the rounds.
(b) He is checking up on him.
(c) He is waiting, and wants the bed.
(d) He is preparing to euthanize him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the men enlisted, what did many of them do for the first time before going to the barracks?
2. How do gunpowder fumes taste?
3. What does Baumer fall in when counter-attacking the French?
4. What do the men fear more than tanks and low-flying planes?
5. Where are the soldiers who are not in the mess line or the dressing-station?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men react when they are finally attacked?
2. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
3. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
4. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
5. Describe the bond that exists between Baumer and Kropp.
6. How do the men feel about their education?
7. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
8. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
9. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
10. What did Kantorek do to the men?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)