|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word describes almost all sergeant-majors?
2. What was Detering before he was a soldier?
3. According to Haie, what is revenge?
(a) White pudding.
(b) Black pudding.
(c) Christmas pudding.
(d) Chocolate pudding.
4. What does Müller offer Baumer a fine piece of?
(a) Red pudding.
5. Who is bothered the most by the sound of the wounded horses?
(b) The fair-haired recruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Kropp say the men have had to endure shells and bombs?
2. How many days ago did the soldiers have to relieve the front line?
3. What platoon did Baumer, Kropp, Müller, and Kemmerich join?
4. Why was the fair-haired recruit so embarrassed?
5. What is Kropp's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kropp think war should be like?
2. Do you think that it is immoral for Müller to want Kemmerich's boots?
3. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
4. In this chapter, Katczinsky makes a long speech about why the officers behave the way they do. What does he say?
5. How does Detering he react to the wounded horses, and why? What is his opinion of horses in warfare?
6. Describe Corporal Himmelstoss.
7. What is Kropp's opinion of what life will be like when the men return home? What does it tell the reader about the effect of war upon a man?
8. Why does Tjaden have a special grudge against Himmelstoss?
9. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
10. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)