|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the other soldier who wet the bed?
2. What is the cook's name?
(b) The sergeant-cook.
(d) All of the above.
3. How many deaths does the orderly think there will be on the day Kemmerich dies?
4. What was the name of the men's platoon leader during training?
5. What do the men throw at the enemy soldiers?
(c) Empty rifles with bayonets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an old buffer describe the men as?
2. What does Kropp call the new reinforcements?
3. What platoon did Baumer, Kropp, Müller, and Kemmerich join?
4. When men such as Himmelstoss get a star or a stripe, it is as though they have swallowed...
5. Kat's masterpiece was four boxes of...
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kantorek's letter make the men angry? Why do you think the men have become old?
2. Katczinsky recites the rhyme "Give 'em all the same grub and all the same pay / And the war would be over and done in a day". What do you think this means?
3. How does Baumer describe the front? What can save them from danger?
4. Describe the bond that exists between Baumer and Kropp.
5. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
6. How did Baumer narrowly escape death in the dug-outs?
7. Why did Baumer and Kat want to kill the fair-haired young recruit? Why didn't they do it?
8. Baumer says that being forced to do things in public restores the innocent nature of all things. What is he talking about?
9. How do the men feel about their education?
10. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)