|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does an old buffer describe the men as?
(a) Young trouble-makers.
(b) Too young to know better.
(c) Young heroes.
(d) Young idiots.
2. What platoon did Baumer, Kropp, Müller, and Kemmerich join?
3. How do gunpowder fumes taste?
4. What is the cook's name?
(a) The sergeant-cook.
(c) All of the above.
5. Kat's masterpiece was four boxes of...
(d) Canned tuna.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nation's troops rush the men's line?
2. What is the men's sole ambition?
3. Who is Kantorek?
4. Who does the crying, fair-haired recruit remind Baumer of?
5. Who is bothered the most by the sound of the wounded horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kantorek's letter make the men angry? Why do you think the men have become old?
2. What happens when an enemy soldier falls into Baumer's shell-hole?
3. How do the men feel when they are at the front?
4. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
5. What did Kantorek do to the men?
6. How is Berger wounded?
7. What do you think of the ending of All Quiet on the Western Front, and how does it make readers feel? Is it an appropriate ending?
8. How do the men get their revenge on Himmelstoss?
9. How do the men react when they are finally attacked?
10. When referring to Müller and Kemmerich, Baumer he states that they no longer have any sense of "artificial considerations". What do you think he means?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)