|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kat think they are losing the war?
(a) The commanders are incompetent.
(b) The British artillery is too accurate.
(c) They spend too much time sleeping.
(d) They salute too well.
2. What type of animal does Kat notice and want to eat?
3. Why does the orderly glance at Kemmerich and then leave?
(a) He is waiting, and wants the bed.
(b) He is doing the rounds.
(c) He is preparing to euthanize him.
(d) He is checking up on him.
4. What do the men fear more than tanks and low-flying planes?
(d) Special forces.
5. How many men were wounded by friendly fire in the first night at the front?
(c) A dozen.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Baumer leaves the hospital, what does he suddenly think of?
2. What job is Müller well suited for?
3. Who is Stanislaus Katczinsky?
4. What "game" did Himmelstoss used to make the men play?
5. What does Baumer fall in when counter-attacking the French?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men think about the causes and justifications behind the war?
2. When Baumer emerges from the hospital following Kemmerich's death, his head is suddenly filled with images of girls, meadows, clouds, and he seems to feel energized. Why do you think he feels this way?
3. Describe the bond that exists between Baumer and Kropp.
4. How does Detering he react to the wounded horses, and why? What is his opinion of horses in warfare?
5. Katczinsky recites the rhyme "Give 'em all the same grub and all the same pay / And the war would be over and done in a day". What do you think this means?
6. What condition are the Russian prisoners in? Why are they being treated so harshly?
7. What does Baumer expect to face when the war ends? What does he not know?
8. During the card game, the men occasionally drift off into silence. What are they thinking about?
9. In this chapter, Katczinsky makes a long speech about why the officers behave the way they do. What does he say?
10. Why is Tjaden unafraid of the punishment that may follow his insults to Himmelstoss?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)