|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Katczinsky trade Ginger for the beans and beef?
(a) Uniform linen.
(b) Parachute silk.
(c) Gun cotton.
(d) Balloon canvas.
2. Why do the men know they are near the sea?
(a) They can feel the cold.
(b) They can smell the water.
(c) They can hear seabirds.
(d) They find a boat.
3. What is the cook's name?
(b) All of the above.
(d) The sergeant-cook.
4. What was Detering before he was a soldier?
5. What do the men salvage for parts to send home?
(b) Parachute bombs.
(d) Transport vehicles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a double ration of sausage and bread put a man in?
2. What is Kat so worried about?
3. Where do the men take cover from the heavy shelling?
4. What are the French famous for on the front?
5. What new danger do the men face while taking cover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Kantorek do to the men?
2. What does Kropp think war should be like?
3. What type of situation does Baumer's family face over his mother's illness?
4. Why would a soldier be happy to receive a broken arm?
5. How do the men feel about their education?
6. What is the difference between the younger and older men?
7. Katczinsky recites the rhyme "Give 'em all the same grub and all the same pay / And the war would be over and done in a day". What do you think this means?
8. Where are the characters, and how are they feeling? Where did their "luck" come from?
9. How does Baumer feel about being back at the training camp on the moors? What does Remarque use nature to symbolize?
10. How does Baumer feel towards the prisoners? Why? What does he think about the reasons for considering them an enemy?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)