|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on the poster that the men are so fascinated about?
(a) A girl in a summer dress.
(b) News from the front.
(c) An advertisement for a film.
(d) A list of casualties from the most recent attack.
2. What does Baumer do with the prisoners?
(a) Defends them from the other guards.
(b) Sets them free.
(c) Knocks them down and kicks them.
(d) Gives them each a cigarette.
3. How many chapters does All Quiet on the Western Front have?
4. What does Baumer trade to a sergeant-major for a place with Kropp on the hospital train?
5. What are the only things that Baumer can talk about with his family before he leaves?
(a) How wonderful it was to be home and some soldier's jokes.
(b) How strange it was to be back home, and some soldier's jokes.
(c) His mother's illness and some soldier's jokes.
(d) The weather and some soldier's jokes.
6. What exasperates the men more than the front line?
(a) The food.
(b) The rear-area.
(c) Their commanding officers.
(d) Full-dress parades.
7. What does Detering collect from a tree?
(a) Cherry blossoms.
(c) Bare branches.
8. Who is dead?
9. What is known about Paul's death?
(a) He killed himself.
(b) He died heroically.
(c) He cried and begged until the bitter end.
(d) He did not suffer long.
10. What class is Paul mother in in the hospital?
11. How does the French girl react when Baumer tells her he will never be able to see her again?
(a) She tells Baumer that she is pregnant.
(b) She does not really notice.
(c) She tries to explain a plan for them to run away together.
(d) She is furious at Baumer.
12. The men have become instinctual like...
(b) Trained dogs.
13. What type of license allows a man to do what he wants?
(a) Shooting license.
(b) Unlimited license.
(c) License to kill.
(d) Hunting license.
14. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
(a) Eating a full meal.
(b) Putting on the heavy chest-armor issued to all the men.
(c) Praying to God.
(d) Singing the German national anthem.
15. Who tricks the Russian prisoners into giving them their clothes and crafts?
(a) The Sergeant-Major.
(d) The Territorials.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
2. What are the men given a shot for in the ambulance wagon?
3. What happened to Kat and Kropp while Baumer was away on leave?
4. Where was Paul sitting all day?
5. What has Baumer's mother been all her life?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)