|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men make a grater?
(a) By punching holes in a pot-lid.
(b) By breaking off bits of a knife-blade.
(c) By packing a bunch of barbed wire.
(d) By tying together several bayonets.
2. Who is dead?
3. Why does Paul have two weeks off?
(a) He escaped from the military.
(b) He showed bravery in a recent offensive.
(c) He was given sanity leave.
(d) He swallowed some gas.
4. Where do the men think they will be going?
(d) Back home to defend Germany.
5. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
(a) Gym class.
(d) Sport shooting.
6. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
(a) He is caught in an enemy attack and must hide.
(b) All of the above.
(c) He is overcome by fear.
(d) He kills a man.
7. Why does Paul hesitate to get in the bed in the hospital train?
(a) It is an officer's bed.
(b) He doesn't want to get in without giving the sergeant-major the cigars.
(c) The sheets are too clean.
(d) It is covered with blood from the previous occupant.
8. How many reinforcements does the company need?
(a) At least eighty.
(c) More than the Kaiser can supply.
(d) Over a hundred.
9. How many days leave does Baumer get in total?
(d) One week.
10. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
(a) One of the Territorials shoots a prisoner.
(b) Baumer's mother dies.
(c) Paul gets word that Kantorek has been killed at the front.
(d) One of the Russians is buried.
11. What are all the soldiers hoping for?
(b) A breakthrough in the enemy lines.
(c) New tanks.
(d) An armistice.
12. What are the men's thoughts like?
(a) Gunfire, because that is what shapes them.
(b) Clay, because they can be shaped by events.
(c) Bricks, because they are heavy.
(d) Fire, because they burn through the night.
13. What did everyone in the world say "yes" to?
(a) Less power for the Kaiser.
(b) The war.
(c) The payment of war reparations from Germany.
(d) More rations.
14. What do eight of the men have to guard in particular?
(a) A watch-tower.
(b) A supply dump.
(c) A graveyard.
(d) An outpost.
15. What did the man that Baumer kills do for a living?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baumer's mother send to him before he leaves?
2. What kind of accent does the singing wireless-man have?
3. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
4. What class is Paul mother in in the hospital?
5. What part of 1918 is the bloodiest yet?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)