|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men find to eat?
(a) Eggs, pigs, and butter.
(b) Eggs, pickles, and sauerkraut.
(c) Eggs, chickens, and corn.
(d) Bread, sausage, and bacon.
2. Who is the last survivor of the original group?
3. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
(a) With his knife.
(b) With his bare hands.
(c) With his revolver.
(d) With his rifle.
4. How do the men make a grater?
(a) By tying together several bayonets.
(b) By packing a bunch of barbed wire.
(c) By punching holes in a pot-lid.
(d) By breaking off bits of a knife-blade.
5. What weapon are the men newly afraid of?
6. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
(a) Baumer's mother dies.
(b) One of the Russians is buried.
(c) One of the Territorials shoots a prisoner.
(d) Paul gets word that Kantorek has been killed at the front.
7. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
(a) All of the above.
(b) He is caught in an enemy attack and must hide.
(c) He is overcome by fear.
(d) He kills a man.
8. How was Müller killed?
(a) He is shot in the stomach.
(b) He is obliterated by artillery.
(c) His is nailed in the head by a sniper.
(d) He steps on a mine.
9. Distinctions between the men, such as level of education, can be an advantage, but what else do they bring?
(a) Prejudices that have to be overcome.
(b) Promotions within the army.
(c) Welcome remarks and comments.
(d) A full dinner.
10. What are the men's thoughts like?
(a) Bricks, because they are heavy.
(b) Fire, because they burn through the night.
(c) Clay, because they can be shaped by events.
(d) Gunfire, because that is what shapes them.
11. What part of 1918 is the bloodiest yet?
12. What kind of accent does the singing wireless-man have?
13. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
(a) Because he feels an attachment to his comrades.
(b) To keep the enemy on guard.
(c) To help collect the dead soldiers.
(d) To keep him feeling like a soldier.
14. What must the men do with their new uniforms?
(a) Give them back.
(b) Keep them clean or be punished.
(c) Fold them all as punishment for disrespecting the Kaiser.
(d) Tear them apart for spare material.
15. What does Kropp have at home?
(a) Dress shoes.
(b) An expensive tie.
(c) White trousers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
2. What are the men given a shot for in the ambulance wagon?
3. What will Baumer's mother undergo for her cancer?
4. What disease do the prisoners have?
5. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)