|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the army reports say on the day Paul died?
(a) No enemy activity at this time.
(b) Paul Baumer is dead.
(c) Nothing more to report.
(d) All quiet on the western front.
2. What type of license allows a man to do what he wants?
(a) Unlimited license.
(b) Hunting license.
(c) Shooting license.
(d) License to kill.
3. What does Kat say is good for loose bowels?
4. What do the men bring to the French girls as presents?
(b) Stolen jewellery.
5. Why does Paul hesitate to get in the bed in the hospital train?
(a) He doesn't want to get in without giving the sergeant-major the cigars.
(b) It is an officer's bed.
(c) It is covered with blood from the previous occupant.
(d) The sheets are too clean.
6. What are all the soldiers hoping for?
(a) An armistice.
(b) New tanks.
(d) A breakthrough in the enemy lines.
7. What did Detering try to do?
(a) Kill Himmelstoss and himself.
(b) Run away to Holland.
(c) Escape and go home.
(d) Steal Paul's bread.
8. Who is the first family member to see Paul when he returns home on leave?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His sister.
(d) His brother.
9. Why does Paul want to let the months and years come?
(a) He has nothing more they can take from him.
(b) He is optimistic about the future.
(c) He feels happy because of the possibility of peace.
(d) He wants to do some more fighting.
10. What exasperates the men more than the front line?
(a) Full-dress parades.
(b) Their commanding officers.
(c) The food.
(d) The rear-area.
11. Beside Baumer's training camp there is a prison of soldiers from what country?
12. What has Baumer's mother been all her life?
13. What does Kropp have at home?
(a) White trousers.
(b) Dress shoes.
(d) An expensive tie.
14. What did everyone in the world say "yes" to?
(a) Less power for the Kaiser.
(b) The war.
(c) The payment of war reparations from Germany.
(d) More rations.
15. Who does Baumer fail to notice on the street?
(a) A major, who gets angry at him.
(b) His father, who is furious with him.
(c) His former girlfriend, who is annoyed by him.
(d) His old school friend, who is happy to see him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brought in Haie Westhus when he was wounded?
2. Who is coming to inspect the men?
3. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
4. What are the men given a shot for in the ambulance wagon?
5. What must the men do with their new uniforms?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)