|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives the men terrible bowel troubles?
(a) The rotten vegetables.
(b) The potato-cakes.
(c) The constant shelling.
(d) The pigs.
2. What does Baumer trade to a sergeant-major for a place with Kropp on the hospital train?
3. Who does Baumer fail to notice on the street?
(a) His former girlfriend, who is annoyed by him.
(b) His old school friend, who is happy to see him.
(c) A major, who gets angry at him.
(d) His father, who is furious with him.
4. What will the generation that grows up after Paul's do with his generation?
(a) Push them aside.
(b) Send them to prison.
(c) Use them as cheap labor.
(d) Give them support.
5. Who is coming to inspect the men?
(a) The Kaiser.
(b) The Prussian.
(c) The Commandante.
6. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
(b) Gym class.
(d) Sport shooting.
7. What does Detering collect from a tree?
(b) Cherry blossoms.
(d) Bare branches.
8. How many reinforcements does the company need?
(a) At least eighty.
(b) Over a hundred.
(d) More than the Kaiser can supply.
9. What must the men do with their new uniforms?
(a) Fold them all as punishment for disrespecting the Kaiser.
(b) Tear them apart for spare material.
(c) Keep them clean or be punished.
(d) Give them back.
10. How does the French girl react when Baumer tells her he will never be able to see her again?
(a) She is furious at Baumer.
(b) She does not really notice.
(c) She tries to explain a plan for them to run away together.
(d) She tells Baumer that she is pregnant.
11. What class is Paul mother in in the hospital?
12. What exasperates the men more than the front line?
(a) Full-dress parades.
(b) The rear-area.
(c) Their commanding officers.
(d) The food.
13. What type of expression was on Paul's face when he died?
14. What do the men find to eat?
(a) Eggs, pigs, and butter.
(b) Eggs, chickens, and corn.
(c) Bread, sausage, and bacon.
(d) Eggs, pickles, and sauerkraut.
15. What is known about Paul's death?
(a) He cried and begged until the bitter end.
(b) He did not suffer long.
(c) He died heroically.
(d) He killed himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Paul's mother?
2. What type of license allows a man to do what he wants?
3. What is missing from the naked soldier sitting in the tree, other than his clothes?
4. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
5. What does Kat say is good for loose bowels?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)