|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Paul sitting all day?
(a) In the dug-out.
(b) In a garden.
(c) On a cart.
(d) In the trenches.
2. Beside Baumer's training camp there is a prison of soldiers from what country?
3. What is known about Paul's death?
(a) He died heroically.
(b) He killed himself.
(c) He cried and begged until the bitter end.
(d) He did not suffer long.
4. What does Baumer's mother send to him before he leaves?
(a) New boots.
(b) Sausage and bread.
(c) Potato-cakes and jam.
(d) Woolen underwear.
5. In what month was Paul killed?
6. What are the men's thoughts like?
(a) Clay, because they can be shaped by events.
(b) Bricks, because they are heavy.
(c) Fire, because they burn through the night.
(d) Gunfire, because that is what shapes them.
7. What does Baumer trade to a sergeant-major for a place with Kropp on the hospital train?
8. How many cakes does Baumer give to the Russians?
(d) All of them.
9. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
(a) He kills a man.
(b) He is caught in an enemy attack and must hide.
(c) All of the above.
(d) He is overcome by fear.
10. Who is dead?
11. What does Baumer do with the prisoners?
(a) Defends them from the other guards.
(b) Gives them each a cigarette.
(c) Knocks them down and kicks them.
(d) Sets them free.
12. Why was Paul glad when he died?
(a) He was going to rejoin his friends.
(b) The end had finally come.
(c) He liked pain.
(d) The war would soon end.
13. Why does Paul have two weeks off?
(a) He showed bravery in a recent offensive.
(b) He swallowed some gas.
(c) He escaped from the military.
(d) He was given sanity leave.
14. How does the French girl react when Baumer tells her he will never be able to see her again?
(a) She tells Baumer that she is pregnant.
(b) She does not really notice.
(c) She tries to explain a plan for them to run away together.
(d) She is furious at Baumer.
15. What exasperates the men more than the front line?
(a) The rear-area.
(b) Their commanding officers.
(c) Full-dress parades.
(d) The food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men bring to the French girls as presents?
2. What does Detering collect from a tree?
3. What are all the soldiers hoping for?
4. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
5. What are the men given a shot for in the ambulance wagon?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)