|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
(a) To keep him feeling like a soldier.
(b) Because he feels an attachment to his comrades.
(c) To keep the enemy on guard.
(d) To help collect the dead soldiers.
2. What gives the men terrible bowel troubles?
(a) The potato-cakes.
(b) The pigs.
(c) The constant shelling.
(d) The rotten vegetables.
3. Who tricks the Russian prisoners into giving them their clothes and crafts?
(a) The Sergeant-Major.
(b) The Territorials.
4. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
(a) One of the Russians is buried.
(b) One of the Territorials shoots a prisoner.
(c) Baumer's mother dies.
(d) Paul gets word that Kantorek has been killed at the front.
5. Who is the first family member to see Paul when he returns home on leave?
(a) His sister.
(b) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
6. What class is Paul mother in in the hospital?
7. How do the men make a grater?
(a) By packing a bunch of barbed wire.
(b) By punching holes in a pot-lid.
(c) By breaking off bits of a knife-blade.
(d) By tying together several bayonets.
8. What part of the war are the men particularly angry about?
(a) The lack of proper sanitation.
(b) The worn-out barrels of their artillery.
(c) The ineffectiveness of the new recruits.
(d) Their treatment by military doctors.
9. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
10. What type of license allows a man to do what he wants?
(a) Hunting license.
(b) Unlimited license.
(c) Shooting license.
(d) License to kill.
11. What do the men find to eat?
(a) Eggs, pigs, and butter.
(b) Bread, sausage, and bacon.
(c) Eggs, chickens, and corn.
(d) Eggs, pickles, and sauerkraut.
12. The men have become instinctual like...
(d) Trained dogs.
13. What is known about Paul's death?
(a) He killed himself.
(b) He cried and begged until the bitter end.
(c) He did not suffer long.
(d) He died heroically.
14. What are the men given a shot for in the ambulance wagon?
15. What type of expression was on Paul's face when he died?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are all the soldiers hoping for?
2. How many cakes does Baumer give to the Russians?
3. Where do the men think they will be going?
4. What must the men do with their new uniforms?
5. Who is coming to inspect the men?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)