|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did everyone in the world say "yes" to?
(a) The payment of war reparations from Germany.
(b) The war.
(c) Less power for the Kaiser.
(d) More rations.
2. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
(a) With his rifle.
(b) With his bare hands.
(c) With his knife.
(d) With his revolver.
3. What does Kat say is good for loose bowels?
4. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
(a) Go to town and find prostitutes.
(b) Sleep, because they are depressed.
(c) Destroy the picture of the girl.
(d) Get deloused and find some clean clothes.
5. What kind of accent does the singing wireless-man have?
6. What do the men bring to the French girls as presents?
(b) Stolen jewellery.
7. What musical instrument does one of the Russian prisoners play?
(a) The cello.
(b) The piano.
(c) The guitar.
(d) The violin.
8. How many reinforcements does the company need?
(b) At least eighty.
(c) Over a hundred.
(d) More than the Kaiser can supply.
9. Who is coming to inspect the men?
(a) The Prussian.
(b) The Commandante.
(c) The Kaiser.
10. What did Detering try to do?
(a) Escape and go home.
(b) Steal Paul's bread.
(c) Run away to Holland.
(d) Kill Himmelstoss and himself.
11. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
12. Who is the last survivor of the original group?
13. What has Baumer's mother been all her life?
14. What are the men's thoughts like?
(a) Fire, because they burn through the night.
(b) Gunfire, because that is what shapes them.
(c) Clay, because they can be shaped by events.
(d) Bricks, because they are heavy.
15. What is known about Paul's death?
(a) He cried and begged until the bitter end.
(b) He did not suffer long.
(c) He killed himself.
(d) He died heroically.
Short Answer Questions
1. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
2. What does Baumer trade to a sergeant-major for a place with Kropp on the hospital train?
3. How was Müller killed?
4. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
5. Why does Paul want to let the months and years come?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)