|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Baumer's mother been all her life?
2. What did the army reports say on the day Paul died?
(a) No enemy activity at this time.
(b) All quiet on the western front.
(c) Paul Baumer is dead.
(d) Nothing more to report.
3. In what month was Paul killed?
4. What does Detering collect from a tree?
(a) Bare branches.
(c) Cherry blossoms.
5. Where do the men think they will be going?
(a) Back home to defend Germany.
6. What will Baumer's mother undergo for her cancer?
(a) No treatment.
(b) Faith healing.
(d) An operation.
7. Where was Paul sitting all day?
(a) In a garden.
(b) In the dug-out.
(c) In the trenches.
(d) On a cart.
8. Who tricks the Russian prisoners into giving them their clothes and crafts?
(a) The Territorials.
(b) The Sergeant-Major.
9. What type of license allows a man to do what he wants?
(a) Shooting license.
(b) License to kill.
(c) Hunting license.
(d) Unlimited license.
10. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
(a) With his revolver.
(b) With his rifle.
(c) With his knife.
(d) With his bare hands.
11. What do the men find to eat?
(a) Eggs, pickles, and sauerkraut.
(b) Bread, sausage, and bacon.
(c) Eggs, pigs, and butter.
(d) Eggs, chickens, and corn.
12. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
(a) Go to town and find prostitutes.
(b) Destroy the picture of the girl.
(c) Get deloused and find some clean clothes.
(d) Sleep, because they are depressed.
13. What are the men given a shot for in the ambulance wagon?
14. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
(a) He is overcome by fear.
(b) He kills a man.
(c) He is caught in an enemy attack and must hide.
(d) All of the above.
15. What does Baumer's mother send to him before he leaves?
(a) New boots.
(b) Potato-cakes and jam.
(c) Sausage and bread.
(d) Woolen underwear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paul have two weeks off?
2. Who is coming to inspect the men?
3. How many days leave does Baumer get in total?
4. What type of expression was on Paul's face when he died?
5. What happened to Kat and Kropp while Baumer was away on leave?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)