|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Kat and Kropp while Baumer was away on leave?
(a) Kropp was mortally wounded.
(c) Kat was killed.
(d) No one knows.
2. What will Baumer's mother undergo for her cancer?
(a) An operation.
(b) No treatment.
(c) Faith healing.
3. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
4. What do the men find to eat?
(a) Eggs, chickens, and corn.
(b) Bread, sausage, and bacon.
(c) Eggs, pickles, and sauerkraut.
(d) Eggs, pigs, and butter.
5. Why does Paul have two weeks off?
(a) He swallowed some gas.
(b) He showed bravery in a recent offensive.
(c) He escaped from the military.
(d) He was given sanity leave.
6. What do eight of the men have to guard in particular?
(a) A graveyard.
(b) A watch-tower.
(c) A supply dump.
(d) An outpost.
7. What did Detering try to do?
(a) Run away to Holland.
(b) Kill Himmelstoss and himself.
(c) Steal Paul's bread.
(d) Escape and go home.
8. In what month was Paul killed?
9. What will the generation that grows up after Paul's do with his generation?
(a) Give them support.
(b) Use them as cheap labor.
(c) Send them to prison.
(d) Push them aside.
10. What does Kropp have at home?
(a) An expensive tie.
(b) White trousers.
(d) Dress shoes.
11. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
(c) Gym class.
(d) Sport shooting.
12. What are all the soldiers hoping for?
(b) An armistice.
(c) New tanks.
(d) A breakthrough in the enemy lines.
13. Who is the last survivor of the original group?
14. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
(a) To keep the enemy on guard.
(b) To help collect the dead soldiers.
(c) To keep him feeling like a soldier.
(d) Because he feels an attachment to his comrades.
15. Who is the first family member to see Paul when he returns home on leave?
(a) His sister.
(b) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men bring to the French girls as presents?
2. Who tricks the Russian prisoners into giving them their clothes and crafts?
3. How do the men make a grater?
4. Who does Baumer fail to notice on the street?
5. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)