|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
(a) Sleep, because they are depressed.
(b) Destroy the picture of the girl.
(c) Get deloused and find some clean clothes.
(d) Go to town and find prostitutes.
2. Where do the men think they will be going?
(c) Back home to defend Germany.
3. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
(a) All of the above.
(b) He kills a man.
(c) He is caught in an enemy attack and must hide.
(d) He is overcome by fear.
4. Who is dead?
5. What part of 1918 is the bloodiest yet?
6. What does Baumer do with the prisoners?
(a) Knocks them down and kicks them.
(b) Gives them each a cigarette.
(c) Defends them from the other guards.
(d) Sets them free.
7. Why was Paul glad when he died?
(a) The war would soon end.
(b) The end had finally come.
(c) He liked pain.
(d) He was going to rejoin his friends.
8. Who does Baumer fail to notice on the street?
(a) His father, who is furious with him.
(b) His old school friend, who is happy to see him.
(c) A major, who gets angry at him.
(d) His former girlfriend, who is annoyed by him.
9. Who is the first family member to see Paul when he returns home on leave?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His brother.
10. What did Detering try to do?
(a) Run away to Holland.
(b) Steal Paul's bread.
(c) Kill Himmelstoss and himself.
(d) Escape and go home.
11. What are the men given a shot for in the ambulance wagon?
12. How many reinforcements does the company need?
(b) More than the Kaiser can supply.
(c) At least eighty.
(d) Over a hundred.
13. What does Kropp have at home?
(a) Dress shoes.
(b) White trousers.
(c) An expensive tie.
14. What is missing from the naked soldier sitting in the tree, other than his clothes?
(a) His head.
(b) His helmet.
(c) His legs.
(d) His arms.
15. What must the men do with their new uniforms?
(a) Fold them all as punishment for disrespecting the Kaiser.
(b) Give them back.
(c) Keep them clean or be punished.
(d) Tear them apart for spare material.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the man that Baumer kills do for a living?
2. How many cakes does Baumer give to the Russians?
3. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
4. How was Müller killed?
5. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)