|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men bring to the French girls as presents?
(c) Stolen jewellery.
2. What part of 1918 is the bloodiest yet?
3. Distinctions between the men, such as level of education, can be an advantage, but what else do they bring?
(a) A full dinner.
(b) Prejudices that have to be overcome.
(c) Promotions within the army.
(d) Welcome remarks and comments.
4. What did everyone in the world say "yes" to?
(a) More rations.
(b) Less power for the Kaiser.
(c) The war.
(d) The payment of war reparations from Germany.
5. What exasperates the men more than the front line?
(a) The rear-area.
(b) The food.
(c) Full-dress parades.
(d) Their commanding officers.
6. Where was Paul sitting all day?
(a) In the dug-out.
(b) In the trenches.
(c) In a garden.
(d) On a cart.
7. What are the men's thoughts like?
(a) Gunfire, because that is what shapes them.
(b) Bricks, because they are heavy.
(c) Clay, because they can be shaped by events.
(d) Fire, because they burn through the night.
8. What are all the soldiers hoping for?
(a) A breakthrough in the enemy lines.
(c) An armistice.
(d) New tanks.
9. How was Müller killed?
(a) His is nailed in the head by a sniper.
(b) He steps on a mine.
(c) He is shot in the stomach.
(d) He is obliterated by artillery.
10. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
(a) To keep the enemy on guard.
(b) To help collect the dead soldiers.
(c) Because he feels an attachment to his comrades.
(d) To keep him feeling like a soldier.
11. What are the only things that Baumer can talk about with his family before he leaves?
(a) The weather and some soldier's jokes.
(b) His mother's illness and some soldier's jokes.
(c) How wonderful it was to be home and some soldier's jokes.
(d) How strange it was to be back home, and some soldier's jokes.
12. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
13. Why does Paul hesitate to get in the bed in the hospital train?
(a) The sheets are too clean.
(b) He doesn't want to get in without giving the sergeant-major the cigars.
(c) It is covered with blood from the previous occupant.
(d) It is an officer's bed.
14. What type of license allows a man to do what he wants?
(a) Shooting license.
(b) Unlimited license.
(c) License to kill.
(d) Hunting license.
15. How does the French girl react when Baumer tells her he will never be able to see her again?
(a) She does not really notice.
(b) She tells Baumer that she is pregnant.
(c) She is furious at Baumer.
(d) She tries to explain a plan for them to run away together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is missing from the naked soldier sitting in the tree, other than his clothes?
2. Who is coming to inspect the men?
3. What part of the war are the men particularly angry about?
4. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
5. What is on the poster that the men are so fascinated about?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)