|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Baumer fail to notice on the street?
(a) His old school friend, who is happy to see him.
(b) His father, who is furious with him.
(c) A major, who gets angry at him.
(d) His former girlfriend, who is annoyed by him.
2. What does Baumer do with the prisoners?
(a) Gives them each a cigarette.
(b) Sets them free.
(c) Defends them from the other guards.
(d) Knocks them down and kicks them.
3. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
(a) Because he feels an attachment to his comrades.
(b) To keep him feeling like a soldier.
(c) To keep the enemy on guard.
(d) To help collect the dead soldiers.
4. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
5. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
(a) Destroy the picture of the girl.
(b) Get deloused and find some clean clothes.
(c) Sleep, because they are depressed.
(d) Go to town and find prostitutes.
6. What are all the soldiers hoping for?
(a) New tanks.
(c) A breakthrough in the enemy lines.
(d) An armistice.
7. Distinctions between the men, such as level of education, can be an advantage, but what else do they bring?
(a) Welcome remarks and comments.
(b) Promotions within the army.
(c) A full dinner.
(d) Prejudices that have to be overcome.
8. What has Baumer's mother been all her life?
9. What do the men bring to the French girls as presents?
(a) Stolen jewellery.
10. Other than their legs, what does the men's new duty allow them to stretch?
(a) Their souls.
(b) Their skin.
(c) Their patience.
(d) Barbed wire.
11. What did the army reports say on the day Paul died?
(a) No enemy activity at this time.
(b) Paul Baumer is dead.
(c) All quiet on the western front.
(d) Nothing more to report.
12. Who is the first family member to see Paul when he returns home on leave?
(a) His brother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
13. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
14. What does Baumer trade to a sergeant-major for a place with Kropp on the hospital train?
15. Who tricks the Russian prisoners into giving them their clothes and crafts?
(b) The Sergeant-Major.
(d) The Territorials.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paul have two weeks off?
2. How many chapters does All Quiet on the Western Front have?
3. What musical instrument does one of the Russian prisoners play?
4. Why does Paul hesitate to get in the bed in the hospital train?
5. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)