|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many chapters does All Quiet on the Western Front have?
2. What does Baumer trade to a sergeant-major for a place with Kropp on the hospital train?
3. What do eight of the men have to guard in particular?
(a) A supply dump.
(b) An outpost.
(c) A watch-tower.
(d) A graveyard.
4. What did everyone in the world say "yes" to?
(a) More rations.
(b) Less power for the Kaiser.
(c) The payment of war reparations from Germany.
(d) The war.
5. How do the men make a grater?
(a) By packing a bunch of barbed wire.
(b) By breaking off bits of a knife-blade.
(c) By punching holes in a pot-lid.
(d) By tying together several bayonets.
6. What happened to Kat and Kropp while Baumer was away on leave?
(b) Kat was killed.
(c) Kropp was mortally wounded.
(d) No one knows.
7. Why does Paul have two weeks off?
(a) He was given sanity leave.
(b) He escaped from the military.
(c) He swallowed some gas.
(d) He showed bravery in a recent offensive.
8. What part of 1918 is the bloodiest yet?
9. Who does Baumer fail to notice on the street?
(a) His father, who is furious with him.
(b) His former girlfriend, who is annoyed by him.
(c) His old school friend, who is happy to see him.
(d) A major, who gets angry at him.
10. Who is dead?
11. What does Detering collect from a tree?
(b) Bare branches.
(d) Cherry blossoms.
12. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
(a) All of the above.
(b) He is overcome by fear.
(c) He is caught in an enemy attack and must hide.
(d) He kills a man.
13. What musical instrument does one of the Russian prisoners play?
(a) The cello.
(b) The piano.
(c) The violin.
(d) The guitar.
14. What type of license allows a man to do what he wants?
(a) Unlimited license.
(b) Shooting license.
(c) License to kill.
(d) Hunting license.
15. The men have become instinctual like...
(a) Trained dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the army reports say on the day Paul died?
2. What has Baumer's mother been all her life?
3. What are the only things that Baumer can talk about with his family before he leaves?
4. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
5. Who is the first family member to see Paul when he returns home on leave?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)