|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
(a) Destroy the picture of the girl.
(b) Go to town and find prostitutes.
(c) Sleep, because they are depressed.
(d) Get deloused and find some clean clothes.
2. What will Baumer's mother undergo for her cancer?
(a) An operation.
(b) Faith healing.
(d) No treatment.
3. Who is the first family member to see Paul when he returns home on leave?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
4. What is on the poster that the men are so fascinated about?
(a) News from the front.
(b) An advertisement for a film.
(c) A girl in a summer dress.
(d) A list of casualties from the most recent attack.
5. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
(a) With his revolver.
(b) With his bare hands.
(c) With his rifle.
(d) With his knife.
6. What are the men given a shot for in the ambulance wagon?
7. What did Detering try to do?
(a) Steal Paul's bread.
(b) Kill Himmelstoss and himself.
(c) Run away to Holland.
(d) Escape and go home.
8. What exasperates the men more than the front line?
(a) Their commanding officers.
(b) The rear-area.
(c) The food.
(d) Full-dress parades.
9. What is wrong with Paul's mother?
(a) She has cancer.
(b) She cannot remember her son.
(c) She is angry that Paul did not bring more food.
(d) She has gone insane.
10. What makes seven?
(a) Four and a half-wits.
(b) Four plus three.
(c) Six men and two half-wits.
(d) Three whole-wits plus eight half-wits.
11. Why does Paul want to let the months and years come?
(a) He feels happy because of the possibility of peace.
(b) He is optimistic about the future.
(c) He wants to do some more fighting.
(d) He has nothing more they can take from him.
12. What is missing from the naked soldier sitting in the tree, other than his clothes?
(a) His arms.
(b) His head.
(c) His helmet.
(d) His legs.
13. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
(a) To help collect the dead soldiers.
(b) To keep him feeling like a soldier.
(c) To keep the enemy on guard.
(d) Because he feels an attachment to his comrades.
14. What does Kat say is good for loose bowels?
15. Where was Paul sitting all day?
(a) On a cart.
(b) In the dug-out.
(c) In a garden.
(d) In the trenches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Detering collect from a tree?
2. What does Baumer's mother send to him before he leaves?
3. What does Baumer do with the prisoners?
4. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
5. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)