|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kropp have at home?
(a) An expensive tie.
(c) White trousers.
(d) Dress shoes.
2. How many reinforcements does the company need?
(b) More than the Kaiser can supply.
(c) At least eighty.
(d) Over a hundred.
3. What part of 1918 is the bloodiest yet?
4. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
(a) One of the Territorials shoots a prisoner.
(b) Baumer's mother dies.
(c) Paul gets word that Kantorek has been killed at the front.
(d) One of the Russians is buried.
5. Why does Paul want to let the months and years come?
(a) He is optimistic about the future.
(b) He feels happy because of the possibility of peace.
(c) He has nothing more they can take from him.
(d) He wants to do some more fighting.
6. What must the men do with their new uniforms?
(a) Give them back.
(b) Keep them clean or be punished.
(c) Fold them all as punishment for disrespecting the Kaiser.
(d) Tear them apart for spare material.
7. What part of the war are the men particularly angry about?
(a) The worn-out barrels of their artillery.
(b) Their treatment by military doctors.
(c) The lack of proper sanitation.
(d) The ineffectiveness of the new recruits.
8. In what month was Paul killed?
9. What class is Paul mother in in the hospital?
10. What do eight of the men have to guard in particular?
(a) A graveyard.
(b) A supply dump.
(c) A watch-tower.
(d) An outpost.
11. Beside Baumer's training camp there is a prison of soldiers from what country?
12. Who brought in Haie Westhus when he was wounded?
13. What are the men given a shot for in the ambulance wagon?
14. What exasperates the men more than the front line?
(a) The rear-area.
(b) The food.
(c) Their commanding officers.
(d) Full-dress parades.
15. What kind of accent does the singing wireless-man have?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the French girl react when Baumer tells her he will never be able to see her again?
2. What does Detering collect from a tree?
3. What happened to Kat and Kropp while Baumer was away on leave?
4. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
5. What does Baumer's mother send to him before he leaves?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)