|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on the poster that the men are so fascinated about?
(a) News from the front.
(b) An advertisement for a film.
(c) A girl in a summer dress.
(d) A list of casualties from the most recent attack.
2. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
(a) Sleep, because they are depressed.
(b) Destroy the picture of the girl.
(c) Get deloused and find some clean clothes.
(d) Go to town and find prostitutes.
3. What does Baumer's mother send to him before he leaves?
(a) New boots.
(b) Sausage and bread.
(c) Potato-cakes and jam.
(d) Woolen underwear.
4. What does Baumer do with the prisoners?
(a) Gives them each a cigarette.
(b) Defends them from the other guards.
(c) Knocks them down and kicks them.
(d) Sets them free.
5. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
(a) Eating a full meal.
(b) Singing the German national anthem.
(c) Putting on the heavy chest-armor issued to all the men.
(d) Praying to God.
6. What do eight of the men have to guard in particular?
(a) A supply dump.
(b) A watch-tower.
(c) An outpost.
(d) A graveyard.
7. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
(a) With his knife.
(b) With his revolver.
(c) With his rifle.
(d) With his bare hands.
8. What happened to Kat and Kropp while Baumer was away on leave?
(a) Kropp was mortally wounded.
(b) Kat was killed.
(d) No one knows.
9. What gives the men terrible bowel troubles?
(a) The constant shelling.
(b) The pigs.
(c) The rotten vegetables.
(d) The potato-cakes.
10. Why does Paul want to let the months and years come?
(a) He has nothing more they can take from him.
(b) He is optimistic about the future.
(c) He wants to do some more fighting.
(d) He feels happy because of the possibility of peace.
11. In what month was Paul killed?
12. The men have become instinctual like...
(c) Trained dogs.
13. Distinctions between the men, such as level of education, can be an advantage, but what else do they bring?
(a) A full dinner.
(b) Welcome remarks and comments.
(c) Promotions within the army.
(d) Prejudices that have to be overcome.
14. What did the man that Baumer kills do for a living?
15. Why does Paul have two weeks off?
(a) He escaped from the military.
(b) He showed bravery in a recent offensive.
(c) He was given sanity leave.
(d) He swallowed some gas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Detering collect from a tree?
2. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
3. What class is Paul mother in in the hospital?
4. Who is dead?
5. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)