|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Paul glad when he died?
(a) The end had finally come.
(b) He was going to rejoin his friends.
(c) The war would soon end.
(d) He liked pain.
2. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
(a) One of the Russians is buried.
(b) Paul gets word that Kantorek has been killed at the front.
(c) One of the Territorials shoots a prisoner.
(d) Baumer's mother dies.
3. What part of the war are the men particularly angry about?
(a) Their treatment by military doctors.
(b) The worn-out barrels of their artillery.
(c) The lack of proper sanitation.
(d) The ineffectiveness of the new recruits.
4. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
(a) To keep the enemy on guard.
(b) To help collect the dead soldiers.
(c) To keep him feeling like a soldier.
(d) Because he feels an attachment to his comrades.
5. What did the army reports say on the day Paul died?
(a) Nothing more to report.
(b) Paul Baumer is dead.
(c) All quiet on the western front.
(d) No enemy activity at this time.
6. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
7. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
(a) Destroy the picture of the girl.
(b) Get deloused and find some clean clothes.
(c) Sleep, because they are depressed.
(d) Go to town and find prostitutes.
8. Why does Paul want to let the months and years come?
(a) He feels happy because of the possibility of peace.
(b) He wants to do some more fighting.
(c) He is optimistic about the future.
(d) He has nothing more they can take from him.
9. The men have become instinctual like...
(a) Trained dogs.
10. How many reinforcements does the company need?
(a) Over a hundred.
(c) More than the Kaiser can supply.
(d) At least eighty.
11. What gives the men terrible bowel troubles?
(a) The pigs.
(b) The constant shelling.
(c) The potato-cakes.
(d) The rotten vegetables.
12. What is missing from the naked soldier sitting in the tree, other than his clothes?
(a) His helmet.
(b) His arms.
(c) His legs.
(d) His head.
13. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
(a) He kills a man.
(b) He is overcome by fear.
(c) All of the above.
(d) He is caught in an enemy attack and must hide.
14. What makes seven?
(a) Four plus three.
(b) Four and a half-wits.
(c) Three whole-wits plus eight half-wits.
(d) Six men and two half-wits.
15. What does Baumer trade to a sergeant-major for a place with Kropp on the hospital train?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the men's thoughts like?
2. How many chapters does All Quiet on the Western Front have?
3. What has Baumer's mother been all her life?
4. In what month was Paul killed?
5. What is wrong with Paul's mother?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)