|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baumer trade to a sergeant-major for a place with Kropp on the hospital train?
2. Who is the last survivor of the original group?
3. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
4. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
5. Who does Baumer fail to notice on the street?
(a) His old school friend, who is happy to see him.
(b) A major, who gets angry at him.
(c) His former girlfriend, who is annoyed by him.
(d) His father, who is furious with him.
6. What part of 1918 is the bloodiest yet?
7. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
(a) He is caught in an enemy attack and must hide.
(b) He kills a man.
(c) He is overcome by fear.
(d) All of the above.
8. Who is dead?
9. How many reinforcements does the company need?
(a) Over a hundred.
(b) More than the Kaiser can supply.
(c) At least eighty.
10. What did Detering try to do?
(a) Kill Himmelstoss and himself.
(b) Run away to Holland.
(c) Steal Paul's bread.
(d) Escape and go home.
11. Other than their legs, what does the men's new duty allow them to stretch?
(a) Their patience.
(b) Their skin.
(c) Their souls.
(d) Barbed wire.
12. Who tricks the Russian prisoners into giving them their clothes and crafts?
(c) The Territorials.
(d) The Sergeant-Major.
13. How was Müller killed?
(a) His is nailed in the head by a sniper.
(b) He steps on a mine.
(c) He is shot in the stomach.
(d) He is obliterated by artillery.
14. What does Kat say is good for loose bowels?
15. What is known about Paul's death?
(a) He did not suffer long.
(b) He cried and begged until the bitter end.
(c) He died heroically.
(d) He killed himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
2. What are the men given a shot for in the ambulance wagon?
3. Who brought in Haie Westhus when he was wounded?
4. What makes seven?
5. Why was Paul glad when he died?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)