|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men find to eat?
(a) Eggs, pigs, and butter.
(b) Bread, sausage, and bacon.
(c) Eggs, chickens, and corn.
(d) Eggs, pickles, and sauerkraut.
2. Distinctions between the men, such as level of education, can be an advantage, but what else do they bring?
(a) Promotions within the army.
(b) Welcome remarks and comments.
(c) Prejudices that have to be overcome.
(d) A full dinner.
3. Why does Baumer go out on patrol?
(a) To keep the enemy on guard.
(b) Because he feels an attachment to his comrades.
(c) To keep him feeling like a soldier.
(d) To help collect the dead soldiers.
4. What makes seven?
(a) Four plus three.
(b) Six men and two half-wits.
(c) Four and a half-wits.
(d) Three whole-wits plus eight half-wits.
5. How many cakes does Baumer give to the Russians?
(c) All of them.
6. What does Detering collect from a tree?
(a) Bare branches.
(c) Cherry blossoms.
7. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
8. Why does Paul hesitate to get in the bed in the hospital train?
(a) The sheets are too clean.
(b) It is covered with blood from the previous occupant.
(c) It is an officer's bed.
(d) He doesn't want to get in without giving the sergeant-major the cigars.
9. What class is Paul mother in in the hospital?
10. What before-battle activity was heavily debated between Baumer, Kat, and Tjaden?
(a) Eating a full meal.
(b) Putting on the heavy chest-armor issued to all the men.
(c) Praying to God.
(d) Singing the German national anthem.
11. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
(a) With his revolver.
(b) With his bare hands.
(c) With his rifle.
(d) With his knife.
12. Who tricks the Russian prisoners into giving them their clothes and crafts?
(a) The Territorials.
(c) The Sergeant-Major.
13. How does the French girl react when Baumer tells her he will never be able to see her again?
(a) She does not really notice.
(b) She is furious at Baumer.
(c) She tries to explain a plan for them to run away together.
(d) She tells Baumer that she is pregnant.
14. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
(b) Sport shooting.
(d) Gym class.
15. What does Kat say is good for loose bowels?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Paul when he is in the shell-holes?
2. Where was Paul sitting all day?
3. Why does Paul want to let the months and years come?
4. What will Baumer's mother undergo for her cancer?
5. The men have become instinctual like...
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)