|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Paul glad when he died?
(a) He was going to rejoin his friends.
(b) The end had finally come.
(c) The war would soon end.
(d) He liked pain.
2. Distinctions between the men, such as level of education, can be an advantage, but what else do they bring?
(a) A full dinner.
(b) Prejudices that have to be overcome.
(c) Promotions within the army.
(d) Welcome remarks and comments.
3. Who is dead?
4. Why does Paul want to let the months and years come?
(a) He has nothing more they can take from him.
(b) He feels happy because of the possibility of peace.
(c) He is optimistic about the future.
(d) He wants to do some more fighting.
5. What did everyone in the world say "yes" to?
(a) More rations.
(b) The payment of war reparations from Germany.
(c) The war.
(d) Less power for the Kaiser.
6. In what month was Paul killed?
7. What does Detering collect from a tree?
(b) Bare branches.
(c) Cherry blossoms.
8. What type of expression was on Paul's face when he died?
9. What does Baumer do with the prisoners?
(a) Sets them free.
(b) Defends them from the other guards.
(c) Gives them each a cigarette.
(d) Knocks them down and kicks them.
10. What will Baumer's mother undergo for her cancer?
(a) An operation.
(b) No treatment.
(d) Faith healing.
11. What did the army reports say on the day Paul died?
(a) All quiet on the western front.
(b) Paul Baumer is dead.
(c) Nothing more to report.
(d) No enemy activity at this time.
12. Who is wounded by shellfire while evacuating a village?
13. Where was Paul sitting all day?
(a) In the trenches.
(b) In a garden.
(c) In the dug-out.
(d) On a cart.
14. What does Baumer trade to a sergeant-major for a place with Kropp on the hospital train?
15. What part of 1918 is the bloodiest yet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men think they will be going?
2. Other than their legs, what does the men's new duty allow them to stretch?
3. Why does Paul have two weeks off?
4. How was Müller killed?
5. What musical instrument does one of the Russian prisoners play?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)