|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men decide to do after seeing the poster?
(a) Go to town and find prostitutes.
(b) Sleep, because they are depressed.
(c) Get deloused and find some clean clothes.
(d) Destroy the picture of the girl.
2. What does Baumer do with the prisoners?
(a) Gives them each a cigarette.
(b) Sets them free.
(c) Knocks them down and kicks them.
(d) Defends them from the other guards.
3. How many reinforcements does the company need?
(a) More than the Kaiser can supply.
(b) At least eighty.
(d) Over a hundred.
4. How many chapters does All Quiet on the Western Front have?
5. What did the army reports say on the day Paul died?
(a) Paul Baumer is dead.
(b) All quiet on the western front.
(c) No enemy activity at this time.
(d) Nothing more to report.
6. What did everyone in the world say "yes" to?
(a) Less power for the Kaiser.
(b) The war.
(c) More rations.
(d) The payment of war reparations from Germany.
7. Where do the men think they will be going?
(c) Back home to defend Germany.
8. Distinctions between the men, such as level of education, can be an advantage, but what else do they bring?
(a) Welcome remarks and comments.
(b) Promotions within the army.
(c) Prejudices that have to be overcome.
(d) A full dinner.
9. What do eight of the men have to guard in particular?
(a) A supply dump.
(b) A graveyard.
(c) A watch-tower.
(d) An outpost.
10. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
(a) One of the Russians is buried.
(b) Baumer's mother dies.
(c) One of the Territorials shoots a prisoner.
(d) Paul gets word that Kantorek has been killed at the front.
11. What is missing from the naked soldier sitting in the tree, other than his clothes?
(a) His legs.
(b) His head.
(c) His arms.
(d) His helmet.
12. Where was Paul sitting all day?
(a) On a cart.
(b) In the dug-out.
(c) In the trenches.
(d) In a garden.
13. What does Baumer trade to a sergeant-major for a place with Kropp on the hospital train?
14. Why does Paul want to let the months and years come?
(a) He feels happy because of the possibility of peace.
(b) He is optimistic about the future.
(c) He wants to do some more fighting.
(d) He has nothing more they can take from him.
15. What do the men bring to the French girls as presents?
(d) Stolen jewellery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the man that Baumer kills do for a living?
2. What part of the war are the men particularly angry about?
3. What will the generation that grows up after Paul's do with his generation?
4. What exasperates the men more than the front line?
5. What class is Paul mother in in the hospital?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)