|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of 1918 is the bloodiest yet?
2. Who tricks the Russian prisoners into giving them their clothes and crafts?
(b) The Territorials.
(c) The Sergeant-Major.
3. What did the army reports say on the day Paul died?
(a) All quiet on the western front.
(b) Paul Baumer is dead.
(c) Nothing more to report.
(d) No enemy activity at this time.
4. What will Baumer's mother undergo for her cancer?
(a) No treatment.
(b) An operation.
(c) Faith healing.
5. Other than their legs, what does the men's new duty allow them to stretch?
(a) Barbed wire.
(b) Their patience.
(c) Their skin.
(d) Their souls.
6. What is wrong with Paul's mother?
(a) She cannot remember her son.
(b) She is angry that Paul did not bring more food.
(c) She has gone insane.
(d) She has cancer.
7. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
8. Why does Paul have two weeks off?
(a) He showed bravery in a recent offensive.
(b) He was given sanity leave.
(c) He swallowed some gas.
(d) He escaped from the military.
9. What type of license allows a man to do what he wants?
(a) Shooting license.
(b) Hunting license.
(c) Unlimited license.
(d) License to kill.
10. Who is coming to inspect the men?
(a) The Kaiser.
(c) The Prussian.
(d) The Commandante.
11. Where was Paul sitting all day?
(a) In the dug-out.
(b) On a cart.
(c) In a garden.
(d) In the trenches.
12. How many chapters does All Quiet on the Western Front have?
13. How do the men make a grater?
(a) By punching holes in a pot-lid.
(b) By packing a bunch of barbed wire.
(c) By breaking off bits of a knife-blade.
(d) By tying together several bayonets.
14. What must the men do with their new uniforms?
(a) Keep them clean or be punished.
(b) Give them back.
(c) Tear them apart for spare material.
(d) Fold them all as punishment for disrespecting the Kaiser.
15. What does Kropp have at home?
(a) White trousers.
(b) An expensive tie.
(d) Dress shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men find to eat?
2. What is known about Paul's death?
3. What is missing from the naked soldier sitting in the tree, other than his clothes?
4. How does Paul kill the man in the shell-hole?
5. What do eight of the men have to guard in particular?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)