|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are all the soldiers hoping for?
(a) New tanks.
(b) A breakthrough in the enemy lines.
(c) An armistice.
2. What are the men's thoughts like?
(a) Clay, because they can be shaped by events.
(b) Fire, because they burn through the night.
(c) Gunfire, because that is what shapes them.
(d) Bricks, because they are heavy.
3. Why was Paul glad when he died?
(a) He liked pain.
(b) He was going to rejoin his friends.
(c) The war would soon end.
(d) The end had finally come.
4. What did Detering try to do?
(a) Escape and go home.
(b) Kill Himmelstoss and himself.
(c) Steal Paul's bread.
(d) Run away to Holland.
5. What is on the poster that the men are so fascinated about?
(a) An advertisement for a film.
(b) A list of casualties from the most recent attack.
(c) A girl in a summer dress.
(d) News from the front.
6. Where was Paul sitting all day?
(a) In the trenches.
(b) On a cart.
(c) In the dug-out.
(d) In a garden.
7. What was Leer good at in school, though it could not save him?
(b) Gym class.
(c) Sport shooting.
8. How does the French girl react when Baumer tells her he will never be able to see her again?
(a) She tries to explain a plan for them to run away together.
(b) She is furious at Baumer.
(c) She tells Baumer that she is pregnant.
(d) She does not really notice.
9. How many chapters does All Quiet on the Western Front have?
10. What happens on a foggy morning at the training camp?
(a) Paul gets word that Kantorek has been killed at the front.
(b) One of the Territorials shoots a prisoner.
(c) Baumer's mother dies.
(d) One of the Russians is buried.
11. How many reinforcements does the company need?
(a) At least eighty.
(c) Over a hundred.
(d) More than the Kaiser can supply.
12. What gives the men terrible bowel troubles?
(a) The constant shelling.
(b) The potato-cakes.
(c) The rotten vegetables.
(d) The pigs.
13. What will the generation that grows up after Paul's do with his generation?
(a) Push them aside.
(b) Use them as cheap labor.
(c) Send them to prison.
(d) Give them support.
14. What do the men find to eat?
(a) Eggs, pigs, and butter.
(b) Eggs, chickens, and corn.
(c) Bread, sausage, and bacon.
(d) Eggs, pickles, and sauerkraut.
15. What do the men use to cool their machine-gun when they run out of water?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do eight of the men have to guard in particular?
2. Other than their legs, what does the men's new duty allow them to stretch?
3. In what month was Paul killed?
4. What will Baumer's mother undergo for her cancer?
5. Who is dead?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)