|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the men know they are near the sea?
(a) They can hear seabirds.
(b) They can smell the water.
(c) They find a boat.
(d) They can feel the cold.
2. What never exists at the front?
3. When men such as Himmelstoss get a star or a stripe, it is as though they have swallowed...
4. What word describes almost all sergeant-majors?
5. When the men enlisted, what did many of them do for the first time before going to the barracks?
(c) Have sex.
6. When do the English gunners usually start firing?
(a) Eight thirty.
(b) Five o'clock.
(c) Eleven o'clock.
(d) Ten o'clock.
7. What did Himmelstoss force Baumer and Kropp to clean the Corporals' Mess with?
(a) A single paper towel.
(b) Nothing but their hands.
(c) A fine comb.
(d) A toothbrush.
8. What distinguishes Kropp from the other characters?
(a) He is the tallest.
(b) He is the most cowardly.
(c) He is the bravest.
(d) He is the clearest thinker.
9. How many men were wounded by friendly fire in the first night at the front?
(a) A dozen.
10. What is Tjaden's national dish?
(a) Liver and onions.
(b) Sauerkraut and chicken.
(c) Lima beans and beef.
(d) Broad beans and bacon.
11. What are there rumors of?
(a) An offensive.
(b) Volunteer duty.
(c) A spy.
(d) A new British weapon.
12. What does Baumer fall in when counter-attacking the French?
(a) Love with a French girl.
(b) A dug-out.
(c) A trench.
(d) Someone's belly.
13. What do the men salvage for parts to send home?
(b) Parachute bombs.
(c) Transport vehicles.
14. What did Baumer say Kemmerich had about him?
(a) Something of a soldier.
(b) Something of the girl.
(c) Something of the man.
(d) Something special.
15. What does Müller carry?
(a) Pictures of his family.
(c) A heavy weight on his shoulders.
(d) A French rifle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Müller offer Baumer a fine piece of?
2. Who does the crying, fair-haired recruit remind Baumer of?
3. What is the last thing the men see before falling asleep?
4. The men were trained to be heroes as if they were...
5. Who or what do the soldiers have to thank for their good fortune?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)