|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What personal problem does Tjaden have?
(a) He is claustrophobic.
(b) He is a bed-wetter.
(c) He isn't very smart.
(d) He is an alcoholic.
2. What do the men throw at the enemy soldiers?
(d) Empty rifles with bayonets.
3. What bed is Kemmerich in?
4. What does Kropp call the new reinforcements?
5. How old is Kemmerich?
(a) Not a day over twenty.
(b) Almost twenty-one.
(d) Nineteen and a half.
6. How many men were wounded by friendly fire in the first night at the front?
(d) A dozen.
7. What does Baumer fall in when counter-attacking the French?
(a) A trench.
(b) A dug-out.
(c) Love with a French girl.
(d) Someone's belly.
8. Who is bothered the most by the sound of the wounded horses?
(a) The fair-haired recruit.
9. Who died of an inflammation of the lung?
10. According to Kat, why does a trained dog snap at a piece of meat?
(a) Because he was trained to.
(b) It's his nature.
(d) He's always hungry.
11. What did Baumer say Kemmerich had about him?
(a) Something of the man.
(b) Something special.
(c) Something of a soldier.
(d) Something of the girl.
12. What "game" did Himmelstoss used to make the men play?
(a) Change at Lohne.
(b) The cook-house game.
(c) Fall forward.
(d) Parts of the 98 rifle.
13. Why does Haie prefer military life to his normal job?
(a) It gives him an opportunity to kill people.
(b) It is clean and fairly comfortable.
(c) He enjoys following orders and can't think for himself.
(d) He likes working with explosives.
14. Why was the fair-haired recruit so embarrassed?
(a) His pants had fallen down.
(b) He soiled himself.
(c) He was crying.
(d) He had let one of his comrades die.
15. What did Baumer and Kemmerich used to catch in the lane of poplars by the Klosterbach?
Short Answer Questions
1. The men were trained to be heroes as if they were...
2. When the men enlisted, what did many of them do for the first time before going to the barracks?
3. Who hates Himmelstoss the most?
4. Who is Kantorek?
5. How many recruits die for each one veteran killed?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)