|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tjaden call Himmelstoss?
(a) A dirty hound.
(b) A squawking bird.
(c) A stinky pig.
(d) A stupid cow.
2. What flowers fill the meadow that the men are sitting in?
3. What does Haie often dream of?
(a) Being killed in battle.
(b) The abuse he received at the hands of Himmelstoss.
(c) The beating they gave to Himmelstoss.
(d) Going home and forgetting about the war.
4. Why is Müller in a good mood?
(a) He found an English rifle.
(b) He has a ticket home.
(c) He has new boots.
(d) He ate a good meal.
5. How many men survived the last day at the front?
6. What is the cook's name?
(a) All of the above.
(d) The sergeant-cook.
7. How many men were wounded by friendly fire in the first night at the front?
(c) A dozen.
8. What do Baumer and Kat want to do to the wounded young recruit?
(a) Carry him to the hospital.
(b) Disinfect his wounds with rum.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Leave him to die.
9. What is Kat so worried about?
10. What does Müller carry?
(a) Pictures of his family.
(c) A heavy weight on his shoulders.
(d) A French rifle.
11. What does Kropp call the new reinforcements?
12. What word describes almost all sergeant-majors?
13. How do gunpowder fumes taste?
14. What does Baumer fall in when counter-attacking the French?
(a) A trench.
(b) Someone's belly.
(c) Love with a French girl.
(d) A dug-out.
15. Who arrives at the front lines?
(c) The Kaiser.
(d) Winston Churchill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bed is Kemmerich in?
2. When Kemmerich died, what did his eyes resemble?
3. When do the English gunners usually start firing?
4. Why does the orderly glance at Kemmerich and then leave?
5. How does Baumer hurt his hand?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)