|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What platoon did Baumer, Kropp, Müller, and Kemmerich join?
2. What are the men at rest five miles from?
(a) The beach.
(b) The front.
3. Who has his head torn off beside Baumer?
(a) A recruit.
(b) A sergeant.
(c) A lance-corporal.
4. What does Kropp call the new reinforcements?
5. Who does the crying, fair-haired recruit remind Baumer of?
6. What punishment do the men receive for insulting Himmelstoss?
(a) House arrest.
(b) Solitary confinement.
(d) Open arrest.
7. How many men survived the last day at the front?
8. What are there rumors of?
(a) A new British weapon.
(b) An offensive.
(c) A spy.
(d) Volunteer duty.
9. What word does Baumer use to describe Tjaden at the beginning of the chapter?
10. When Baumer and Kropp spilled raw sewage on Himmelstoss, what did he say it meant for them?
11. Who is coming to the front?
12. How many days ago did the soldiers have to relieve the front line?
13. What haunts Baumer as he stands on guard after the attack?
(c) Celebration music from the rear-guard.
14. Where do the men take cover from the heavy shelling?
(a) The woods.
(b) The burned-out lorries.
(c) A graveyard.
(d) The house where Kat saw the geese.
15. What does Himmelstoss threaten to do to Tjaden?
(a) Have him sent to the front lines.
(b) Stab him in the gut.
(c) Shoot him personally.
(d) Court-martial him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tjaden call Himmelstoss?
2. What does Baumer grab for the men's dinner?
3. What do the men wrap Himmelstoss in when they beat him?
4. What did Katczinsky trade Ginger for the beans and beef?
5. What does a double ration of sausage and bread put a man in?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)