|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days ago did the soldiers have to relieve the front line?
2. How does Baumer feel towards Kat?
(a) He tolerates him.
(b) He loves him.
(c) He resents him.
(d) He is indifferent towards him.
3. When the men enlisted, what did many of them do for the first time before going to the barracks?
(c) Have sex.
4. Why is Müller in a good mood?
(a) He has a ticket home.
(b) He ate a good meal.
(c) He found an English rifle.
(d) He has new boots.
5. How many men survived the last day at the front?
6. What do Baumer and Kat want to do to the wounded young recruit?
(a) Disinfect his wounds with rum.
(b) Carry him to the hospital.
(c) Leave him to die.
(d) Kill him.
7. What haunts Baumer as he stands on guard after the attack?
(a) Celebration music from the rear-guard.
8. What was Detering before he was a soldier?
9. What do the men try to find for two days?
(a) Their helmets.
(b) A wounded man.
(c) A little sleep.
(d) The cognac they stole from the French.
10. What do the men do with the leftover goose?
(a) They bring it back to the hut.
(b) They ate it all, there were no leftovers.
(c) They give it to Himmelstoss.
(d) They take it to Tjaden and Kropp.
11. What is the name of the play that Baumer was writing?
(d) Mein Strudel.
12. What does Haie often dream of?
(a) The beating they gave to Himmelstoss.
(b) Being killed in battle.
(c) The abuse he received at the hands of Himmelstoss.
(d) Going home and forgetting about the war.
13. What type of animal does Kat notice and want to eat?
14. What is the main character's name?
(a) Albert Kropp.
(b) Paul Baumer.
(c) Haie Westhus
(d) Stanislaus Katczinsky.
15. Who is Kantorek?
(a) The men's old schoolmaster.
(b) The men's old barber.
(c) The men's old friend.
(d) The men's old bartender.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kropp's first name?
2. What platoon did Baumer, Kropp, Müller, and Kemmerich join?
3. When men such as Himmelstoss get a star or a stripe, it is as though they have swallowed...
4. What are the French famous for on the front?
5. What job is Müller well suited for?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)