|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "game" did Himmelstoss used to make the men play?
(a) Parts of the 98 rifle.
(b) Change at Lohne.
(c) Fall forward.
(d) The cook-house game.
2. When do the English gunners usually start firing?
(a) Eleven o'clock.
(b) Ten o'clock.
(c) Five o'clock.
(d) Eight thirty.
3. Why does Haie prefer military life to his normal job?
(a) He enjoys following orders and can't think for himself.
(b) It gives him an opportunity to kill people.
(c) He likes working with explosives.
(d) It is clean and fairly comfortable.
4. What did Baumer say Kemmerich had about him?
(a) Something special.
(b) Something of the girl.
(c) Something of a soldier.
(d) Something of the man.
5. What is the cook's name?
(a) All of the above.
(c) The sergeant-cook.
6. Where are the soldiers who are not in the mess line or the dressing-station?
(a) Eating breakfast.
(b) Fighting on the front-lines.
(c) Tending to the wounded.
(d) Pushing up daisies.
7. What was the name of the other soldier who wet the bed?
8. What type of cheese are the men given?
9. What punishment do the men receive for insulting Himmelstoss?
(b) House arrest.
(c) Solitary confinement.
(d) Open arrest.
10. What do the men have to watch out for while riding back in the lorries?
(c) Hanging wires.
11. What type of animal does Kat notice and want to eat?
12. What flowers fill the meadow that the men are sitting in?
13. What is the men's sole ambition?
(a) To kick the pants off a police officer.
(b) To knock the conceit out of a postman.
(c) To send the dog after a salesman.
(d) To pull the wool over the eyes of a general.
14. Kat's masterpiece was four boxes of...
(a) Canned tuna.
15. Who is Kantorek?
(a) The men's old barber.
(b) The men's old friend.
(c) The men's old bartender.
(d) The men's old schoolmaster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Baumer and Kat want to do to the wounded young recruit?
2. What do the men do with the leftover goose?
3. What card game are the men playing?
4. How old is Kemmerich?
5. How many days ago did the soldiers have to relieve the front line?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)