|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main character's name?
(a) Stanislaus Katczinsky.
(b) Haie Westhus
(c) Paul Baumer.
(d) Albert Kropp.
2. How does Baumer hurt his hand?
(a) Cutting and removing barbed wire.
(b) Crawling through barbed wire.
(c) Unrolling barbed wire.
(d) He uses it to shield himself from shrapnel.
3. According to Haie, what is revenge?
(a) Black pudding.
(b) Christmas pudding.
(c) Chocolate pudding.
(d) White pudding.
4. Who has his head torn off beside Baumer?
(a) A recruit.
(b) A sergeant.
(d) A lance-corporal.
5. How do the men refer to Germany?
(a) The Fatherland.
(b) The Homeland.
(c) The Motherland.
(d) The Disneyland.
6. What did Katczinsky trade Ginger for the beans and beef?
(a) Gun cotton.
(b) Balloon canvas.
(c) Parachute silk.
(d) Uniform linen.
7. What haunts Baumer as he stands on guard after the attack?
(d) Celebration music from the rear-guard.
8. What is the name of the play that Baumer was writing?
(b) Mein Strudel.
9. What bed is Kemmerich in?
10. What does Müller carry?
(a) A French rifle.
(b) Pictures of his family.
(d) A heavy weight on his shoulders.
11. Where do the men take cover from the heavy shelling?
(a) The woods.
(b) The burned-out lorries.
(c) The house where Kat saw the geese.
(d) A graveyard.
12. Kat's masterpiece was four boxes of...
(a) Canned tuna.
13. When Kemmerich died, what did his eyes resemble?
(a) Yellow gold coins.
(b) Yellow old ivory coasters.
(c) Yellow horn buttons.
(d) Yellow dandelions.
14. When do the English gunners usually start firing?
(a) Eight thirty.
(b) Five o'clock.
(c) Ten o'clock.
(d) Eleven o'clock.
15. What does Kropp call the new reinforcements?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Baumer and Kemmerich used to catch in the lane of poplars by the Klosterbach?
2. What "game" did Himmelstoss used to make the men play?
3. Why do the men know they are near the sea?
4. When Baumer and Kropp spilled raw sewage on Himmelstoss, what did he say it meant for them?
5. How many men survived the last day at the front?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)