|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cook's name?
(a) All of the above.
(c) The sergeant-cook.
2. What does every soldier believe in and trust?
(c) His comrades.
(d) His rifle.
3. What is Tjaden's national dish?
(a) Broad beans and bacon.
(b) Liver and onions.
(c) Sauerkraut and chicken.
(d) Lima beans and beef.
4. What punishment do the men receive for insulting Himmelstoss?
(a) Solitary confinement.
(b) Open arrest.
(d) House arrest.
5. What does Baumer fall in when counter-attacking the French?
(a) A dug-out.
(b) Love with a French girl.
(c) Someone's belly.
(d) A trench.
6. When Baumer and Kropp spilled raw sewage on Himmelstoss, what did he say it meant for them?
7. Who is Stanislaus Katczinsky?
(a) The laughing-stock of the group.
(b) The leader of the group.
(c) The poet of the group.
(d) The follower of the group.
8. What did Baumer and Kemmerich used to catch in the lane of poplars by the Klosterbach?
9. What haunts Baumer as he stands on guard after the attack?
(c) Celebration music from the rear-guard.
10. What was the name of the men's platoon leader during training?
11. What does an old buffer describe the men as?
(a) Young heroes.
(b) Young trouble-makers.
(c) Too young to know better.
(d) Young idiots.
12. What nation's troops rush the men's line?
13. What is Kropp's first name?
14. What was Detering before he was a soldier?
15. What does a double ration of sausage and bread put a man in?
(a) A decent state.
(b) A hospital bed.
(c) A fine trim.
(d) A happy place.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has his head torn off beside Baumer?
2. What do the men wrap Himmelstoss in when they beat him?
3. Why does Kat think they are losing the war?
4. Who is coming to the front?
5. What does Kropp call the new reinforcements?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)