|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Kropp say the men have had to endure shells and bombs?
(a) Thirty-seven months.
(b) Two years.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) One year.
2. According to Kat, why does a trained dog snap at a piece of meat?
(a) He's always hungry.
(c) Because he was trained to.
(d) It's his nature.
3. How old is Kemmerich?
(a) Nineteen and a half.
(b) Not a day over twenty.
(c) Almost twenty-one.
4. When the men enlisted, what did many of them do for the first time before going to the barracks?
(d) Have sex.
5. Katczinsky said the war wouldn't be so bad if they could just get enough...
6. What job is Müller well suited for?
(a) Police officer.
(b) Couch potato.
7. Why does Haie prefer military life to his normal job?
(a) It is clean and fairly comfortable.
(b) He likes working with explosives.
(c) It gives him an opportunity to kill people.
(d) He enjoys following orders and can't think for himself.
8. What do the men salvage for parts to send home?
(a) Transport vehicles.
(d) Parachute bombs.
9. What does Müller offer Baumer a fine piece of?
(a) Red pudding.
10. What did Kropp lose in his bet about the German airplane?
(a) A sandwich.
(b) His boots.
(c) A bottle of beer.
(d) Ten German marks.
11. What platoon did Baumer, Kropp, Müller, and Kemmerich join?
12. What did Baumer and Kemmerich used to catch in the lane of poplars by the Klosterbach?
13. What is Lohne?
(a) A railway junction.
(b) The most dangerous area of the front.
(c) A library.
(d) Baumer's hometown.
14. What does Haie often dream of?
(a) Going home and forgetting about the war.
(b) Being killed in battle.
(c) The abuse he received at the hands of Himmelstoss.
(d) The beating they gave to Himmelstoss.
15. How many deaths does the orderly think there will be on the day Kemmerich dies?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the fair-haired recruit so embarrassed?
2. What bed is Kemmerich in?
3. Who has a special reason to hate Himmelstoss?
4. What haunts Baumer as he stands on guard after the attack?
5. What does an old buffer describe the men as?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)