|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What platoon did Baumer, Kropp, Müller, and Kemmerich join?
2. What do the men find prepared for them on the way to the front?
(b) A victory celebration.
(c) An American unit.
3. What do the men wrap Himmelstoss in when they beat him?
(a) A pillowcase.
(b) Tow cable.
(c) Wire bedding.
(d) A bed cover.
4. When Baumer and Kropp spilled raw sewage on Himmelstoss, what did he say it meant for them?
5. Who does the crying, fair-haired recruit remind Baumer of?
6. Who is fatally wounded in the back?
7. What is the last thing the men see before falling asleep?
(a) Himmelstoss' face.
(b) The bones of the goose.
(c) The flashing of the explosions at the front.
(d) The outlines of the huts.
8. What is there a lot more of now in the trenches?
(b) High spirits.
9. Why does Kat think they are losing the war?
(a) The British artillery is too accurate.
(b) The commanders are incompetent.
(c) They spend too much time sleeping.
(d) They salute too well.
10. What did Baumer say Kemmerich had about him?
(a) Something special.
(b) Something of the man.
(c) Something of the girl.
(d) Something of a soldier.
11. What never exists at the front?
12. How many men were wounded by friendly fire in the first night at the front?
(a) A dozen.
13. Where do the men take cover from the heavy shelling?
(a) The house where Kat saw the geese.
(b) The burned-out lorries.
(c) A graveyard.
(d) The woods.
14. When do the men return to the lorries?
(a) 4 o'clock.
(b) 5 o'clock.
(c) 6 o'clock.
(d) 3 o'clock.
15. Who has a special reason to hate Himmelstoss?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Baumer leaves the hospital, what does he suddenly think of?
2. How long does Kropp say the men have had to endure shells and bombs?
3. What is the name of the play that Baumer was writing?
4. What was the name of the other soldier who wet the bed?
5. Who has his head torn off beside Baumer?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)