|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the other soldier who wet the bed?
2. Why was the fair-haired recruit so embarrassed?
(a) He had let one of his comrades die.
(b) He soiled himself.
(c) His pants had fallen down.
(d) He was crying.
3. What type of animal does Kat notice and want to eat?
4. What does Leer prefer?
(a) The girls from the hospital.
(b) The girls from the officers' brothels.
(c) The girls from the English brothels.
(d) The girls from the clubs in Munich.
5. What does Baumer fall in when counter-attacking the French?
(a) Love with a French girl.
(b) A trench.
(c) Someone's belly.
(d) A dug-out.
6. What is Kat so worried about?
7. What is there a lot more of now in the trenches?
(a) High spirits.
8. What haunts Baumer as he stands on guard after the attack?
(d) Celebration music from the rear-guard.
9. Why do the men know they are near the sea?
(a) They can hear seabirds.
(b) They can smell the water.
(c) They can feel the cold.
(d) They find a boat.
10. What flowers fill the meadow that the men are sitting in?
11. What does Haie often dream of?
(a) Being killed in battle.
(b) Going home and forgetting about the war.
(c) The abuse he received at the hands of Himmelstoss.
(d) The beating they gave to Himmelstoss.
12. What word describes almost all sergeant-majors?
13. Who is Stanislaus Katczinsky?
(a) The laughing-stock of the group.
(b) The follower of the group.
(c) The leader of the group.
(d) The poet of the group.
14. What is the cook's name?
(b) All of the above.
(c) The sergeant-cook.
15. What pattern is on the bedding in the men's barracks?
(c) A patchwork quilt of war-scenes.
(d) Stars and stripes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died of an inflammation of the lung?
2. How does Baumer feel towards Kat?
3. What did Baumer say Kemmerich had about him?
4. What never exists at the front?
5. The men were trained to be heroes as if they were...
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)