|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is bothered the most by the sound of the wounded horses?
(a) The fair-haired recruit.
2. What does a double ration of sausage and bread put a man in?
(a) A fine trim.
(b) A decent state.
(c) A hospital bed.
(d) A happy place.
3. How does Baumer feel towards Kat?
(a) He resents him.
(b) He is indifferent towards him.
(c) He tolerates him.
(d) He loves him.
4. What was Detering before he was a soldier?
5. Who does the crying, fair-haired recruit remind Baumer of?
6. Why do the men know they are near the sea?
(a) They can feel the cold.
(b) They find a boat.
(c) They can smell the water.
(d) They can hear seabirds.
7. What do the men have to watch out for while riding back in the lorries?
(c) Hanging wires.
8. What personal problem does Tjaden have?
(a) He isn't very smart.
(b) He is claustrophobic.
(c) He is a bed-wetter.
(d) He is an alcoholic.
9. Where are the soldiers who are not in the mess line or the dressing-station?
(a) Eating breakfast.
(b) Pushing up daisies.
(c) Fighting on the front-lines.
(d) Tending to the wounded.
10. When Baumer leaves the hospital, what does he suddenly think of?
(a) Girls, flowery meadows, and white clouds.
(b) Maids, grassy fields, and grasshoppers.
(c) Ladies, blue skies, and romantic evenings.
(d) Women, alehouses, and golden sunsets.
11. What does Kropp call the new reinforcements?
12. What haunts Baumer as he stands on guard after the attack?
(c) Celebration music from the rear-guard.
13. According to Haie, what is revenge?
(a) White pudding.
(b) Christmas pudding.
(c) Black pudding.
(d) Chocolate pudding.
14. What did Katczinsky trade Ginger for the beans and beef?
(a) Parachute silk.
(b) Gun cotton.
(c) Balloon canvas.
(d) Uniform linen.
15. Who arrives at the front lines?
(a) The Kaiser.
(b) Winston Churchill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What platoon did Baumer, Kropp, Müller, and Kemmerich join?
2. What job is Müller well suited for?
3. What was the name of the men's platoon leader during training?
4. Why does Haie prefer military life to his normal job?
5. What "game" did Himmelstoss used to make the men play?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)