|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days ago did the soldiers have to relieve the front line?
2. What does an old buffer describe the men as?
(a) Too young to know better.
(b) Young trouble-makers.
(c) Young idiots.
(d) Young heroes.
3. What word does Baumer use to describe Tjaden at the beginning of the chapter?
4. What do the men wrap Himmelstoss in when they beat him?
(a) Wire bedding.
(b) A pillowcase.
(c) Tow cable.
(d) A bed cover.
5. What is the name of the play that Baumer was writing?
(d) Mein Strudel.
6. What does every soldier believe in and trust?
(b) His rifle.
(d) His comrades.
7. Who is Kantorek?
(a) The men's old schoolmaster.
(b) The men's old bartender.
(c) The men's old friend.
(d) The men's old barber.
8. What is the last thing the men see before falling asleep?
(a) Himmelstoss' face.
(b) The flashing of the explosions at the front.
(c) The outlines of the huts.
(d) The bones of the goose.
9. What new danger do the men face while taking cover?
(b) The living dead.
(d) Incendiary rounds.
10. What do the men try to find for two days?
(a) Their helmets.
(b) A wounded man.
(c) The cognac they stole from the French.
(d) A little sleep.
11. Kat's masterpiece was four boxes of...
(c) Canned tuna.
12. When men such as Himmelstoss get a star or a stripe, it is as though they have swallowed...
13. What is the men's sole ambition?
(a) To kick the pants off a police officer.
(b) To send the dog after a salesman.
(c) To pull the wool over the eyes of a general.
(d) To knock the conceit out of a postman.
14. What does Himmelstoss threaten to do to Tjaden?
(a) Shoot him personally.
(b) Stab him in the gut.
(c) Have him sent to the front lines.
(d) Court-martial him.
15. How many men survived the last day at the front?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kat, why does a trained dog snap at a piece of meat?
2. What job is Müller well suited for?
3. What does Haie often dream of?
4. How old is Kemmerich?
5. How many men were wounded by friendly fire in the first night at the front?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)