|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the men know they are near the sea?
(a) They find a boat.
(b) They can hear seabirds.
(c) They can smell the water.
(d) They can feel the cold.
2. What does Müller carry?
(b) A French rifle.
(c) Pictures of his family.
(d) A heavy weight on his shoulders.
3. What never exists at the front?
4. When Baumer leaves the hospital, what does he suddenly think of?
(a) Ladies, blue skies, and romantic evenings.
(b) Girls, flowery meadows, and white clouds.
(c) Women, alehouses, and golden sunsets.
(d) Maids, grassy fields, and grasshoppers.
5. What punishment do the men receive for insulting Himmelstoss?
(a) House arrest.
(b) Solitary confinement.
(d) Open arrest.
6. What does every soldier believe in and trust?
(b) His rifle.
(c) His comrades.
7. Who has his head torn off beside Baumer?
(a) A sergeant.
(b) A lance-corporal.
(d) A recruit.
8. Who does the crying, fair-haired recruit remind Baumer of?
9. What is Lohne?
(a) A railway junction.
(b) Baumer's hometown.
(c) The most dangerous area of the front.
(d) A library.
10. What do Baumer and Kat want to do to the wounded young recruit?
(a) Leave him to die.
(b) Disinfect his wounds with rum.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Carry him to the hospital.
11. What does Tjaden call Himmelstoss?
(a) A squawking bird.
(b) A dirty hound.
(c) A stupid cow.
(d) A stinky pig.
12. When Baumer and Kropp spilled raw sewage on Himmelstoss, what did he say it meant for them?
13. When the men enlisted, what did many of them do for the first time before going to the barracks?
(d) Have sex.
14. What does a double ration of sausage and bread put a man in?
(a) A hospital bed.
(b) A decent state.
(c) A happy place.
(d) A fine trim.
15. When do the men return to the lorries?
(a) 4 o'clock.
(b) 5 o'clock.
(c) 3 o'clock.
(d) 6 o'clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Haie, what is revenge?
2. What name do the men call the British?
3. What is Tjaden's national dish?
4. What is there a lot more of now in the trenches?
5. Who is coming to the front?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)