Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Chapter 1 Abstract
* Readers are introduced to Paul Baumer, the narrator and main character.
* The men receive a double-ration due to the casualties their unit recently suffered.
* The characters discuss their opinions on the war and the war effort.
* Many characters are introduced, including one with a wounded leg named Kemmerich.
Chapter 4 Abstract
* The narration flashes back...
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)