• Readers are introduced to Paul Baumer, the narrator and main character.
• The men receive a double-ration due to the casualties their unit recently suffered.
• The characters discuss their opinions on the war and the war effort.
• Many characters are introduced, including one with a wounded leg named Kemmerich.
• The narration flashes back to Paul's childhood.
• Müller lays claim to Kemmerich's boots.
• Readers learn of the men's training at the hands of their vicious platoon leader, Himmelstoss.
• Kemmerich dies, and his boots are given to Müller.
• Reinforcements arrive at the men's barracks.
• Readers learn of Katczinsky's resourceful nature and his ability to find food.
• The men discuss why people become so horrible in the military, especially as officers.
• The men learn that Himmelstoss is going to join them at the front.
• While laying down some barbed wire, the men are attacked by artillery...
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)