* Readers are introduced to Paul Baumer, the narrator and main character.
* The men receive a double-ration due to the casualties their unit recently suffered.
* The characters discuss their opinions on the war and the war effort.
* Many characters are introduced, including one with a wounded leg named Kemmerich.
* The narration flashes back to Paul's childhood.
* Müller lays claim to Kemmerich's boots.
* Readers learn of the men's training at the hands of their vicious platoon leader, Himmelstoss.
* Kemmerich dies, and his boots are given to Müller.
* Reinforcements arrive at the men's barracks.
* Readers learn of Katczinsky's resourceful nature and his ability to find food.
* The men discuss why people become so horrible in the military, especially as officers.
* The men learn that Himmelstoss is going to join them at the front.
* While laying down some barbed wire, the men are attacked by artillery...
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)