|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Mr. Marcy resemble, according to Chris?
2. What time is it at the beginning of Act 3?
3. What does Frank Lubey have with him when he arrives in the neighbor's yard in this scene?
4. By what does Kate grab Ann while they argue about Larry's death?
5. Who informed Steve Deever that the cylinder heads were cracked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the Keller family's place in the community at the beginning of the play. How do they believe they are perceived by the neighborhood and how are they perceived in reality? How do they maintain their supposed status? Cite specific moments in the play to corroborate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Chris Keller is presented throughout the play as a mingling of strength and weakness. Write an essay on the topic of what hardships Chris can withstand and what seemingly small issues cripple him and drive him to tears. Why is Chris this way?
Essay Topic 3
Chris Keller is a surrogate for Arthur Miller in this play, since his idealism and world view reflect the message of Miller's play. His debates with Joe are Miller's debates with the world. Write an essay on the topic of Chris as a surrogate for the playwright, citing three messages Miller intends to get across and how Chris projects them.
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)