|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a career that Joe Keller says was an option as a child?
2. To which playwright does Chris compare his father jokingly?
3. What does Joe Keller want for dinner?
4. Which of the following is not a military rank listed among Joe Keller's factory staff?
5. With whom does Jim say he wants to play golf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joe lash out at Ann?
2. What request does Sue Bayliss make of Ann and why?
3. Why is Kate unwilling to acknowledge Larry's death, according to Joe?
4. Why is Kate annoyed at Joe when she comes out of the house?
5. How does Joe feel about Ann's visiting the family?
6. What favor does Ann ask of Kate and why?
7. Why does Joe take his own life?
8. What does Ann tell George about her leaving the Kellers?
9. How does Joe blame Kate for his scandal?
10. Describe the dream that Kate had the night before the play begins.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Joe Keller kill himself? Write an essay on this topic, citing three specific realizations that Joe has in the last act of the play, leading to his going into the house to kill himself.
Essay Topic 2
Several objects in the play serve the purpose of reminding present characters of characters that are absent. At times they serve this purpose in a destructive way, stymieing the lives of those they touch and other illuminate the reality of life and free characters to move on. Write a three-part essay on the following objects:
Part 1) Larry's tree
Part 2) The hat George wears
Part 3) Larry's letter to Ann
Essay Topic 3
Chris Keller is a surrogate for Arthur Miller in this play, since his idealism and world view reflect the message of Miller's play. His debates with Joe are Miller's debates with the world. Write an essay on the topic of Chris as a surrogate for the playwright, citing three messages Miller intends to get across and how Chris projects them.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)