|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation did Susie have?
2. What type of whether does the paper forecast for the evening?
3. To what amusement park does Joe Keller compare his backyard?
4. What is Frank Lubey's career?
5. Where did Jim Bayliss refuse to drive Sue because of the heat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kate have to believe that Larry is still alive?
2. Why does Joe only read the want ads in the paper?
3. Describe the dream that Kate had the night before the play begins.
4. Describe the relationship between George and Kate.
5. How does Joe explain Steve Deever's version of events?
6. What did Joe think would happen after the faulty cylinder heads went out?
7. Why does Joe take his own life?
8. How does Ann break Kate's resolve that Larry is alive?
9. In this section of Act 1, what deal do Joe and Chris strike regarding Chris's staying with the family business?
10. What does George suggest at the end of the scene to prove his story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chris Keller is a surrogate for Arthur Miller in this play, since his idealism and world view reflect the message of Miller's play. His debates with Joe are Miller's debates with the world. Write an essay on the topic of Chris as a surrogate for the playwright, citing three messages Miller intends to get across and how Chris projects them.
Essay Topic 2
What is Arthur Miller's attitude toward America after the Second World War? Does he believe there is any hope that it can retain its ideals? Use three examples from the text of All My Sons to justify your understanding of Miller's world view?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1.) Why do you think that Ann is so willing to defy Kate Keller and her brother, George, in order to marry Chris? Why does she have such faith in him? Cite three examples from the text to corroborate your thesis.
2.) What is George Deever's super-objective? What does he ultimately want to accomplish? Write en essay, citing three examples of individual scene objectives and explaining how they will help accomplish his super-objective.
3.) Do you think that Kate Keller truly believes that Larry is alive? Has she ever allowed doubt to enter her life? Cite conversations she has with Ann, Chris, and Joe to corroborate your answer.
This section contains 2,271 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)