Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to indicate that Lucy is not engaged in Willie's life?
2. What does Jack Burden carry with him?
3. Who is Willie Stark's wife?
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
5. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Jack to believe that the judge had more secret financial dealings?
2. What was Cass' life like in Mississippi?
3. Compare and contrast the funerals for Willie and Adam.
4. What is Willie's reaction when Judge Irwin refuses to support a man Willie has chosen for a senate nomination?
5. What happens at the school two years after the new school is built?q
6. What startling fact is revealed to Jack when he goes home to see if Judge Irwin will use his influence with MacMurfree?
7. How does the author begin the story in the present time of 1936?
8. What is the author's purpose for beginning the novel in the way he does?
9. What happens in Chapter 8 to make Adam want to resign as director of the hospital?
10. How does Judge Irwin react when he sees Jack and Willie at his home?
Essay Topic 1
Which of Willy's transgressions is his worst? Marital infidelity? Blackmail? Lack of ethics? Which of his transgressions serves him well? Which one will ultimately result in his death?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of Willie Stark's name? Does his name fit his bold physicality? How about his brash personality?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of the literary technique of flashbacks in the novel. What is the purpose of a flashback? Is the information gleaned from the flashbacks sufficient to flesh out the bones of the literary framework the author has established? Is the technique of a flashback and the resulting flash forward disconcerting to the reader, even though necessary?
This section contains 1,715 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)