|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
2. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
3. What happens to indicate that Lucy is not engaged in Willie's life?
4. With whom did Adam and Anne Stanton live as children?
5. What does Gilbert do after he runs away from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's purpose for beginning the novel in the way he does?
2. How does Jack come to learn about the Mastern family?
3. How does Judge Irwin react when he sees Jack and Willie at his home?
4. How does Willie react when his assistant, Sadie Burke, tells him, "Judge Irwin has come for Callahan."
5. What role did Judge Irwin play in Jack's childhood?
6. How does Jack reason out Judge Irwin's role in his childhood?
7. What is the author's purpose of sending Jack on a road trip?
8. What was Cass' life like in Mississippi?
9. What negative trait of Willie's is verified by Willie's behavior in the White impeachment scandal?
10. How does the author indicate that Willie is against drinking alcohol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of good vs. evil in the novel. Who/what represents good? Who/what represents evil? How do they co-exist or do they? What is the final confrontation?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the author's use of local color particularly regarding speech and dialogue. How can you tell the differences in the characters backgrounds and experiences by the way they speak? Do you think Willie's colorful speaking style is exaggerated or is it realistic?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, Willie is branded as a nigger lover. Explain what this term means. Why was it "acceptable" to use in 1922 and not tolerated at all today? Has society matured? Are people more sensitive? Explain.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)