|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Willie and his entourage visiting at a farm?
2. How does Willie benefit from what happens at the school fire drill?
3. Why does Jack attend the state university instead of abiding by his mother's wishes and going to Harvard or Princeton?
4. Why is Willie's wife, Lucy, leaving Willie?
5. What happens during the next election for governor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author indicate that Willie is against drinking alcohol?
2. How do Jack's mother and Judge Irwin feel about Jack's association with Willie Stark?
3. How does Willie's standard manipulative behavior exhibit in Chapter 8?
4. What crisis is occurring in the governor's office when Jack returns to town?
5. Which of the Mastern family members holds special appeal for Jack?
6. What is Willie's second plan of action when he cannot get to the Fryes?
7. What purpose does Chapter 4 serve for the novel?
8. What does Jack's father mean when he shouts "Foulness" when Jack mentions Judge Irwin's name?
9. What potential issues surround the contract being awarded to J.H. Moore?
10. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of the literary technique of flashbacks in the novel. What is the purpose of a flashback? Is the information gleaned from the flashbacks sufficient to flesh out the bones of the literary framework the author has established? Is the technique of a flashback and the resulting flash forward disconcerting to the reader, even though necessary?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the childhoods of Willie Stark and Jack Burden. How did Willie's life of hard work growing up on a farm make him the person he became? Would Willie have been different had he not entered politics? How did growing up relatively privileged affect Jack?
Essay Topic 3
If Jack's mother has always been in love with Judge Irwin, why didn't she marry him, especially when she became pregnant? Why would Jack's mother suffer through a string of inferior men as husbands? What price did she pay in order to keep Jack ignorant about the identity of his real father?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)