|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was included in Cass' papers?
2. What kinds of stories are surfacing at the newspaper office, The Chronicle?
3. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
4. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
5. What does Gilbert do after he runs away from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Jack find was the unexpected instigator in the deaths of Adam and Willie?
2. What personal connection does Jack find to Cass Mastern during his research?
3. How do Jack's mother and Judge Irwin feel about Jack's association with Willie Stark?
4. How do Willie's problem-solving tactics emerge after his son, Tom, has a car accident?
5. What startling fact is revealed to Jack when he goes home to see if Judge Irwin will use his influence with MacMurfree?
6. How does Willie react when his assistant, Sadie Burke, tells him, "Judge Irwin has come for Callahan."
7. What is the nature of Anne Stanton's depression?
8. How is the relationship between Willie and Adam solidified?
9. What purpose does Chapter 4 serve for the novel?
10. Jack takes an abrupt, unannounced trip to California after learning of Anne's affair with Willie. What consumes Jack's thoughts as he drives cross-country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, Willie is branded as a nigger lover. Explain what this term means. Why was it "acceptable" to use in 1922 and not tolerated at all today? Has society matured? Are people more sensitive? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the author's use of local color particularly regarding speech and dialogue. How can you tell the differences in the characters backgrounds and experiences by the way they speak? Do you think Willie's colorful speaking style is exaggerated or is it realistic?
Essay Topic 3
The author has fun with the names of some of the characters such as Sugar Boy, Sen Sen Puckett and Tiny Duffy. Explain how these characters got their names. Why are the names appropriate for each one? Can you imagine them as being called anything else? Why or why not?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)