|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Willie enter politics again?
2. Who are Willie and his entourage visiting at a farm?
3. Which political faction covertly backs Willie's campaign?
4. What does Annabelle do when she sees Cass after her husband's death?
5. How did Cass die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the major point of contention between Willie and Lucy about their son, Tom?
2. Explain the actions in Chapter 9 which create not only the climax of the novel but also the classic theme of good vs. evil.
3. Who was Jack find was the unexpected instigator in the deaths of Adam and Willie?
4. Why is the move to hire Adam Stanton as the administrator of Willie's new hospital so out of character for Willie?
5. How does Willie's standard manipulative behavior exhibit in Chapter 8?
6. What does the new hospital symbolize for Willie?
7. What is revealed in the literary technique does the author use at the beginning of Chapter 2?
8. What was Cass' life like in Mississippi?
9. How do Willie's problem-solving tactics emerge after his son, Tom, has a car accident?
10. How is the relationship between Willie and Adam solidified?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which of Willy's transgressions is his worst? Marital infidelity? Blackmail? Lack of ethics? Which of his transgressions serves him well? Which one will ultimately result in his death?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the childhoods of Willie Stark and Jack Burden. How did Willie's life of hard work growing up on a farm make him the person he became? Would Willie have been different had he not entered politics? How did growing up relatively privileged affect Jack?
Essay Topic 3
The author inserts a surprising story in as Chapter 4 regarding the Mastern family. What lessons is the author trying to teach in this chapter? Is it the evil of slavery? The sins of marital infidelity? The burden of guilt and remorse? Explain your position.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)