|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie tell Jack to do?
2. What kinds of stories are surfacing at the newspaper office, The Chronicle?
3. How does Willie benefit from what happens at the school fire drill?
4. What does Cass do with his own slaves?
5. Why does Annabelle sell Phebe, her waiting maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the literary technique of flashback that the author uses in Chapter 1.
2. What purpose does Chapter 4 serve for the novel?
3. What does Jack recall about his childhood at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. What crisis is occurring in the governor's office when Jack returns to town?
5. What is the major point of contention between Willie and Lucy about their son, Tom?
6. What negative trait of Willie's is verified by Willie's behavior in the White impeachment scandal?
7. What was Cass' life like in Mississippi?
8. Briefly explain the Mastern family story.
9. Which of the Mastern family members holds special appeal for Jack?
10. How does Willie react when his assistant, Sadie Burke, tells him, "Judge Irwin has come for Callahan."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of the literary technique of flashbacks in the novel. What is the purpose of a flashback? Is the information gleaned from the flashbacks sufficient to flesh out the bones of the literary framework the author has established? Is the technique of a flashback and the resulting flash forward disconcerting to the reader, even though necessary?
Essay Topic 2
The author inserts a surprising story in as Chapter 4 regarding the Mastern family. What lessons is the author trying to teach in this chapter? Is it the evil of slavery? The sins of marital infidelity? The burden of guilt and remorse? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 3
Some psychologists might say that Tom Stark's indiscriminate behavior is a child calling for help. Do you agree or disagree with this premise? What do you think Tom truly wants from his parents? Do you think Willie is so permissive with Tom because Willy had to work so hard on the farm when he was a boy? Explain.
This section contains 1,766 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)