|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jack returns to his office, he finds that ______________________________ have been begun for State Auditor, Byram B. White.
2. How does Willie enter politics again?
3. What does Willie want for his son, Tom?
4. What does Cass do with his own slaves?
5. Why is the decision made to back Willie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Willie's problem-solving tactics emerge after his son, Tom, has a car accident?
2. What is the nature of Jack's second historical project which he launches in Chapter 5?
3. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
4. What are the circumstances surrounding Willie's loss at reelection for the county treasurer job?
5. What is the nature of Anne Stanton's depression?
6. Why is the move to hire Adam Stanton as the administrator of Willie's new hospital so out of character for Willie?
7. What does Jack recall about his childhood at the beginning of Chapter 3?
8. What was Cass' life like in Mississippi?
9. Explain the actions in Chapter 9 which create not only the climax of the novel but also the classic theme of good vs. evil.
10. What is revealed in the literary technique does the author use at the beginning of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Willie's role as protagonist evolves as the plot extends. How does Willie change from the hard-working farm boy to a manipulative politician? What are Willie's motivators? Is Willie the typical protagonist hero at heart?
Essay Topic 2
If Jack's mother has always been in love with Judge Irwin, why didn't she marry him, especially when she became pregnant? Why would Jack's mother suffer through a string of inferior men as husbands? What price did she pay in order to keep Jack ignorant about the identity of his real father?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of Jack Burden's name? Do you feel that he carries a burden? Or is Jack himself the burden?
This section contains 1,942 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)