|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
2. To what college does Gilbert send Cass?
3. Who does not approve of Jack working for Willie?
4. How does Judge Irwin react when a dinner guest berates Governor Stark's programs?
5. With whom did Adam and Anne Stanton live as children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author begin the story in the present time of 1936?
2. What leads Jack to believe that the judge had more secret financial dealings?
3. Explain the literary technique of flashback that the author uses in Chapter 1.
4. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
5. Why is the move to hire Adam Stanton as the administrator of Willie's new hospital so out of character for Willie?
6. What does Jack discover when he digs into the school construction story?
7. How does the author indicate that Willie is against drinking alcohol?
8. How does Willie react when his assistant, Sadie Burke, tells him, "Judge Irwin has come for Callahan."
9. How does Willie's standard manipulative behavior exhibit in Chapter 8?
10. Under what circumstances did Jack's parents meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Willy Stark to Huey Long, the real Governor of Louisiana during that time period. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think the author's characterization of Willy is so true to Huey Long because the novel was written so soon after Long's death and his personality was still so "alive?" What risks did the author run by writing a book that so closely mirrored a public figure with a questionable past?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the childhoods of Willie Stark and Jack Burden. How did Willie's life of hard work growing up on a farm make him the person he became? Would Willie have been different had he not entered politics? How did growing up relatively privileged affect Jack?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of good vs. evil in the novel. Who/what represents good? Who/what represents evil? How do they co-exist or do they? What is the final confrontation?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)