|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were Jack's childhood friends?
2. How does Judge Irwin react when a dinner guest berates Governor Stark's programs?
3. Which political faction covertly backs Willie's campaign?
4. What does Willie want for his son, Tom?
5. Who befriends Willie to keep an eye on his campaign for the Harrison faction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Cass' life like in Mississippi?
2. Under what circumstances did Jack's parents meet?
3. What is the author's purpose for beginning the novel in the way he does?
4. Why is the move to hire Adam Stanton as the administrator of Willie's new hospital so out of character for Willie?
5. Which of the Mastern family members holds special appeal for Jack?
6. What is the nature of Anne Stanton's depression?
7. What personal connection does Jack find to Cass Mastern during his research?
8. What is Willie's second plan of action when he cannot get to the Fryes?
9. What startling fact is revealed to Jack when he goes home to see if Judge Irwin will use his influence with MacMurfree?
10. Who was Jack find was the unexpected instigator in the deaths of Adam and Willie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Jack was surprised to learn about Judge Irwin's acceptance of the bribe related to the utilities company case? For some reason, Jack has an instinct that Judge Irwin's vulnerability is related to money. Why? Is it sad or practical that Jack can learn about the judge's flaw and accept it? Explain why Jack feels the need to research the judge in the first place.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of good vs. evil in the novel. Who/what represents good? Who/what represents evil? How do they co-exist or do they? What is the final confrontation?
Essay Topic 3
Tiny Duffy is characterized as the epitome of evil in the book. Explain Tiny's motives for what he does. Do you think people like Tiny gravitate toward political positions because there is more opportunity for advancement? Or for greed? Explain.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)