Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to indicate that Lucy is not engaged in Willie's life?
2. What does Jack Burden carry with him?
3. Who is Willie Stark's wife?
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
5. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Jack to believe that the judge had more secret financial dealings?
2. What was Cass' life like in Mississippi?
3. Compare and contrast the funerals for Willie and Adam.
4. What is Willie's reaction when Judge Irwin refuses to support a man Willie has chosen for a senate nomination?
5. What happens at the school two years after the new school is built?q
6. What startling fact is revealed to Jack when he goes home to see if Judge Irwin will use his influence with MacMurfree?
7. How does the author begin the story in the present time of 1936?
8. What is the author's purpose for beginning the novel in the way he does?
9. What happens in Chapter 8 to make Adam want to resign as director of the hospital?
10. How does Judge Irwin react when he sees Jack and Willie at his home?
Essay Topic 1
Some psychologists might say that Tom Stark's indiscriminate behavior is a child calling for help. Do you agree or disagree with this premise? What do you think Tom truly wants from his parents? Do you think Willie is so permissive with Tom because Willy had to work so hard on the farm when he was a boy? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Jack was surprised to learn about Judge Irwin's acceptance of the bribe related to the utilities company case? For some reason, Jack has an instinct that Judge Irwin's vulnerability is related to money. Why? Is it sad or practical that Jack can learn about the judge's flaw and accept it? Explain why Jack feels the need to research the judge in the first place.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the childhoods of Willie Stark and Jack Burden. How did Willie's life of hard work growing up on a farm make him the person he became? Would Willie have been different had he not entered politics? How did growing up relatively privileged affect Jack?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)