|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during the next election for governor?
2. What kinds of stories are surfacing at the newspaper office, The Chronicle?
3. What literary technique does the author use to take the story back in time again?
4. What does Willie want for his son, Tom?
5. To what college does Gilbert send Cass?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the novel ends on a small glimmer of hope.
2. How does Willie re-enter political life?
3. What leads Jack to believe that the judge had more secret financial dealings?
4. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
5. What twist of fate changes public perception of Willie Stark?
6. Compare and contrast the funerals for Willie and Adam.
7. What was Cass' life like in Mississippi?
8. What is it that makes Adam accept the position of director of the hospital?
9. What had happened to Anne after she breaks up with Jack and graduates college?
10. How does the author begin the story in the present time of 1936?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which of Willy's transgressions is his worst? Marital infidelity? Blackmail? Lack of ethics? Which of his transgressions serves him well? Which one will ultimately result in his death?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Willie's role as protagonist evolves as the plot extends. How does Willie change from the hard-working farm boy to a manipulative politician? What are Willie's motivators? Is Willie the typical protagonist hero at heart?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of Willie Stark's name? Does his name fit his bold physicality? How about his brash personality?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)