|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Judge Irwin's response to Willie's request?
2. Who do the city commissioners want to get the contract?
3. With what married woman did Cass become involved at Transylvania?
4. Who recommended the school for Cass?
5. Why will Tiny Duffy not help Willie improve his dreadful campaign speeches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the actions in Chapter 9 which create not only the climax of the novel but also the classic theme of good vs. evil.
2. How is the relationship between Willie and Adam solidified?
3. How is Willie's physical presence described by the author?
4. How do Willie's problem-solving tactics emerge after his son, Tom, has a car accident?
5. Explain Anne's pattern of not committing to any permanent relationship in her life.
6. What is the author's purpose of sending Jack on a road trip?
7. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
8. What does Anne give Jack as her reasons for having the affair with Willie?
9. What personal connection does Jack find to Cass Mastern during his research?
10. What is the major point of contention between Willie and Lucy about their son, Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Judge Irwin so adamant about not endorsing Willie's senatorial candidate in Chapter 1? Does the judge have guilt or remorse for his own behavior in this area? Is the judge afraid to even broach the subject of inappropriate alliances because of what might be discovered about his own past?
Essay Topic 2
The author has fun with the names of some of the characters such as Sugar Boy, Sen Sen Puckett and Tiny Duffy. Explain how these characters got their names. Why are the names appropriate for each one? Can you imagine them as being called anything else? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Which of Willy's transgressions is his worst? Marital infidelity? Blackmail? Lack of ethics? Which of his transgressions serves him well? Which one will ultimately result in his death?
This section contains 1,771 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)