|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
2. What literary technique does the author use to take the story back in time again?
3. What does the answer to #45 reveal to Willie?
4. What happens during the next election for governor?
5. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had happened to Anne after she breaks up with Jack and graduates college?
2. What is the major point of contention between Willie and Lucy about their son, Tom?
3. What role did Judge Irwin play in Jack's childhood?
4. Why is the move to hire Adam Stanton as the administrator of Willie's new hospital so out of character for Willie?
5. What personal connection does Jack find to Cass Mastern during his research?
6. What are the circumstances surrounding Willie's loss at reelection for the county treasurer job?
7. Explain the literary technique of flashback that the author uses in Chapter 1.
8. Jack takes an abrupt, unannounced trip to California after learning of Anne's affair with Willie. What consumes Jack's thoughts as he drives cross-country?
9. Under what circumstances did Jack's parents meet?
10. Explain Anne's pattern of not committing to any permanent relationship in her life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Willy Stark to Huey Long, the real Governor of Louisiana during that time period. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think the author's characterization of Willy is so true to Huey Long because the novel was written so soon after Long's death and his personality was still so "alive?" What risks did the author run by writing a book that so closely mirrored a public figure with a questionable past?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the childhoods of Willie Stark and Jack Burden. How did Willie's life of hard work growing up on a farm make him the person he became? Would Willie have been different had he not entered politics? How did growing up relatively privileged affect Jack?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, Willie is branded as a nigger lover. Explain what this term means. Why was it "acceptable" to use in 1922 and not tolerated at all today? Has society matured? Are people more sensitive? Explain.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)