Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to indicate that Lucy is not engaged in Willie's life?
2. What does Jack Burden carry with him?
3. Who is Willie Stark's wife?
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
5. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Jack to believe that the judge had more secret financial dealings?
2. What was Cass' life like in Mississippi?
3. Compare and contrast the funerals for Willie and Adam.
4. What is Willie's reaction when Judge Irwin refuses to support a man Willie has chosen for a senate nomination?
5. What happens at the school two years after the new school is built?q
6. What startling fact is revealed to Jack when he goes home to see if Judge Irwin will use his influence with MacMurfree?
7. How does the author begin the story in the present time of 1936?
8. What is the author's purpose for beginning the novel in the way he does?
9. What happens in Chapter 8 to make Adam want to resign as director of the hospital?
10. How does Judge Irwin react when he sees Jack and Willie at his home?
Essay Topic 1
The author inserts a surprising story in as Chapter 4 regarding the Mastern family. What lessons is the author trying to teach in this chapter? Is it the evil of slavery? The sins of marital infidelity? The burden of guilt and remorse? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 2
Which of Willy's transgressions is his worst? Marital infidelity? Blackmail? Lack of ethics? Which of his transgressions serves him well? Which one will ultimately result in his death?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why the fateful meeting of Willy and Adam in the courthouse had to happen. Why did the author let both characters die? Did he not want to take a stand on whether good can triumph over evil? Or is it because no one can be totally good just as no one can be totally bad?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)