|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary technique does the author use to take the story back in time again?
2. With whom did Adam and Anne Stanton live as children?
3. How can Willie be confident in his position?
4. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
5. What happens to Annabelle's husband, Duncan Trice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain the Mastern family story.
2. What twist of fate changes public perception of Willie Stark?
3. What does Jack recall about his childhood at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. What is it that makes Adam accept the position of director of the hospital?
5. Explain how Judge Irwin's death grants Jack his independence.
6. Explain Anne's pattern of not committing to any permanent relationship in her life.
7. Which of the Mastern family members holds special appeal for Jack?
8. How does Willie react when his assistant, Sadie Burke, tells him, "Judge Irwin has come for Callahan."
9. Jack takes an abrupt, unannounced trip to California after learning of Anne's affair with Willie. What consumes Jack's thoughts as he drives cross-country?
10. How does Jack come to learn about the Mastern family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the fateful meeting of Willy and Adam in the courthouse had to happen. Why did the author let both characters die? Did he not want to take a stand on whether good can triumph over evil? Or is it because no one can be totally good just as no one can be totally bad?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the author's use of local color particularly regarding speech and dialogue. How can you tell the differences in the characters backgrounds and experiences by the way they speak? Do you think Willie's colorful speaking style is exaggerated or is it realistic?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Judge Irwin so adamant about not endorsing Willie's senatorial candidate in Chapter 1? Does the judge have guilt or remorse for his own behavior in this area? Is the judge afraid to even broach the subject of inappropriate alliances because of what might be discovered about his own past?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)