|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie do after he loses the election?
2. When Jack returns to his office, he finds that ______________________________ have been begun for State Auditor, Byram B. White.
3. What does Willie tell White after White accuses Willie of impunity?
4. What happens during the next election for governor?
5. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie react when his assistant, Sadie Burke, tells him, "Judge Irwin has come for Callahan."
2. How do Willie's problem-solving tactics emerge after his son, Tom, has a car accident?
3. What twist of fate changes public perception of Willie Stark?
4. Explain the literary technique of flashback that the author uses in Chapter 1.
5. When is Jack able to leave California and return home?
6. What does Jack discover when he digs into the school construction story?
7. What was Cass' life like in Mississippi?
8. Compare and contrast the funerals for Willie and Adam.
9. How is Willie's physical presence described by the author?
10. What conflicting information about Judge Irwin's financial history?
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of Willie Stark's name? Does his name fit his bold physicality? How about his brash personality?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Willie's role as protagonist evolves as the plot extends. How does Willie change from the hard-working farm boy to a manipulative politician? What are Willie's motivators? Is Willie the typical protagonist hero at heart?
Essay Topic 3
Which of Willy's transgressions is his worst? Marital infidelity? Blackmail? Lack of ethics? Which of his transgressions serves him well? Which one will ultimately result in his death?
This section contains 1,679 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)