|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
2. What happens to Willie's career in April of 1933?
3. What happens when Jack visits his father in his small apartment now?
4. How did Tiny Duffy get his name?
5. Cass and his brother, Gilbert, and sister, Lavinia, were born in poverty in what state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Willie's second plan of action when he cannot get to the Fryes?
2. What does the new hospital symbolize for Willie?
3. Briefly explain the Mastern family story.
4. What does Anne give Jack as her reasons for having the affair with Willie?
5. How is the relationship between Willie and Adam solidified?
6. What does Jack recall about his childhood at the beginning of Chapter 3?
7. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
8. Compare and contrast the funerals for Willie and Adam.
9. What twist of fate changes public perception of Willie Stark?
10. What crisis is occurring in the governor's office when Jack returns to town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the fateful meeting of Willy and Adam in the courthouse had to happen. Why did the author let both characters die? Did he not want to take a stand on whether good can triumph over evil? Or is it because no one can be totally good just as no one can be totally bad?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Willy Stark to Huey Long, the real Governor of Louisiana during that time period. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think the author's characterization of Willy is so true to Huey Long because the novel was written so soon after Long's death and his personality was still so "alive?" What risks did the author run by writing a book that so closely mirrored a public figure with a questionable past?
Essay Topic 3
Which of Willy's transgressions is his worst? Marital infidelity? Blackmail? Lack of ethics? Which of his transgressions serves him well? Which one will ultimately result in his death?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)