|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the story begin?
2. What does Annabelle do when she sees Cass after her husband's death?
3. What happens to Willie's career in April of 1933?
4. Why do people come to hear Willie speak?
5. What kinds of stories are surfacing at the newspaper office, The Chronicle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does Chapter 4 serve for the novel?
2. To whom is the construction contract awarded and why?
3. What does the new hospital symbolize for Willie?
4. Why does the author have Jack return home from California?
5. What startling fact is revealed to Jack when he goes home to see if Judge Irwin will use his influence with MacMurfree?
6. How does Judge Irwin react when he sees Jack and Willie at his home?
7. Compare and contrast the funerals for Willie and Adam.
8. Explain the actions in Chapter 9 which create not only the climax of the novel but also the classic theme of good vs. evil.
9. What does Jack's father mean when he shouts "Foulness" when Jack mentions Judge Irwin's name?
10. Briefly explain the Mastern family story.
Essay Topic 1
The author inserts a surprising story in as Chapter 4 regarding the Mastern family. What lessons is the author trying to teach in this chapter? Is it the evil of slavery? The sins of marital infidelity? The burden of guilt and remorse? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 2
Some psychologists might say that Tom Stark's indiscriminate behavior is a child calling for help. Do you agree or disagree with this premise? What do you think Tom truly wants from his parents? Do you think Willie is so permissive with Tom because Willy had to work so hard on the farm when he was a boy? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Willie's role as protagonist evolves as the plot extends. How does Willie change from the hard-working farm boy to a manipulative politician? What are Willie's motivators? Is Willie the typical protagonist hero at heart?
This section contains 1,734 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)