|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cass learn from Gilbert?
2. During this time, Willie and Lucy have a son named __________.
3. Of what has White been accused?
4. What happens to Annabelle's husband, Duncan Trice?
5. Willie Stark is known as ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the new hospital symbolize for Willie?
2. Who was Jack find was the unexpected instigator in the deaths of Adam and Willie?
3. What happens at the school two years after the new school is built?q
4. What is the author's purpose for beginning the novel in the way he does?
5. Under what circumstances did Jack's parents meet?
6. What purpose does Chapter 4 serve for the novel?
7. What negative trait of Willie's is verified by Willie's behavior in the White impeachment scandal?
8. How is Willie's physical presence described by the author?
9. What does Anne give Jack as her reasons for having the affair with Willie?
10. What is the major point of contention between Willie and Lucy about their son, Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Willie Stark. Be sure to include his personality and behaviors as well as his physicality? What drives Willie as a young man? How does Willie change as he grows older?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, Willie is branded as a nigger lover. Explain what this term means. Why was it "acceptable" to use in 1922 and not tolerated at all today? Has society matured? Are people more sensitive? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author has fun with the names of some of the characters such as Sugar Boy, Sen Sen Puckett and Tiny Duffy. Explain how these characters got their names. Why are the names appropriate for each one? Can you imagine them as being called anything else? Why or why not?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)