|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Tiny Duffy not help Willie improve his dreadful campaign speeches?
2. What does Willie want of Judge Irwin?
3. What two major political factions run the state?
4. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
5. With whom has Willie been having an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anne give Jack as her reasons for having the affair with Willie?
2. Compare and contrast the funerals for Willie and Adam.
3. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
4. How is the relationship between Willie and Adam solidified?
5. When is Jack able to leave California and return home?
6. Explain how Judge Irwin's death grants Jack his independence.
7. What happens in Chapter 8 to make Adam want to resign as director of the hospital?
8. What had happened to Anne after she breaks up with Jack and graduates college?
9. Who was Jack find was the unexpected instigator in the deaths of Adam and Willie?
10. Which of the Mastern family members holds special appeal for Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Jack's mother has always been in love with Judge Irwin, why didn't she marry him, especially when she became pregnant? Why would Jack's mother suffer through a string of inferior men as husbands? What price did she pay in order to keep Jack ignorant about the identity of his real father?
Essay Topic 2
The author has fun with the names of some of the characters such as Sugar Boy, Sen Sen Puckett and Tiny Duffy. Explain how these characters got their names. Why are the names appropriate for each one? Can you imagine them as being called anything else? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Some psychologists might say that Tom Stark's indiscriminate behavior is a child calling for help. Do you agree or disagree with this premise? What do you think Tom truly wants from his parents? Do you think Willie is so permissive with Tom because Willy had to work so hard on the farm when he was a boy? Explain.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)