|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gummy Larson send to see Adam in Chapter 8?
(a) Harold Coffee
(b) Hubert Coffee
(c) Herbert Coffee
(d) Howard Coffee
2. What does Jack do after Anne makes her decision?
(a) Takes a long vacation
(b) Decides to go to grad school
(c) Decides to go into politics
(d) Struggles to find what he wants to do with his life
3. What does Jack recall during the trip?
(a) Playing Minor League Baseball
(b) The years when he, Adam and Anne were inseparable
(c) His college years
(d) His summers at the Landing
4. How long had Jack and Anne been falling in love?
(a) 10 years
(b) For most of their lives
(c) Six months
(d) 20 years
5. Who is Mortimer L. Littlepaugh?
(a) Attorney for the American Electric Power Company
(b) Dean of the University of Mississippi
(c) President of the Civil Liberties Union
(d) CEO of BellSouth
6. What does Jack's mother reveal to Jack about Judge Irwin
(a) Judge Irwin is in love with her.
(b) Judge Irwin is actually Jack's father.
(c) Judge Irwin is having an affair with Lucy Stark.
(d) Judge Irwin is in love with Willie Stark.
7. What does Anne tell Jack about how Judge Irwin solved his money problems?
(a) He took out a large insurance policy on his first wife.
(b) He married a wealthy woman.
(c) He got a substantial bank loan.
(d) He sold most of his property.
8. Where did Anne go to college?
9. What do Adam and Willie discuss when Jack and Willie go to Adam's apartment?
(a) Goodness and badness
(b) The rumors of war in Europe
(c) The baseball scores from last night
(d) Their former girlfriends
10. What happens to Mortimer L. Littlepaugh?
(a) He has a heart attack and dies.
(b) He is in a car accident and dies.
(c) He is hit by a bus and dies.
(d) He falls from a fifth story hotel window and dies.
11. Who is with Adam at the time of Coffee's visit?
12. What happens between Jack and Anne the summer Jack is 20?
(a) They have a huge fight.
(b) They start going steady.
(c) They break up for good.
(d) They pledge to marry.
13. Who does Jack marry after Anne rejects him?
14. When does Jack make the decision to return home?
(a) When he loses his credit cards
(b) When he runs out of money
(c) When his hotel reservation is up
(d) When he is able to deal with the facts
15. What is Jack's method of travel?
(a) He takes a bus.
(b) He takes a plane.
(c) He drives.
(d) He takes a train.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Mortimer L. Littlepaugh give a letter the night before he dies?
2. Why does Duffy want Gummy Larson to do the construction job on the hospital?
3. What does MacMurfree want in return?
4. What does Anne believe about her relationship with Willie?
5. Why does Jack fear for Anne in her involvement with the governor?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)