|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Adam do after Coffee leaves?
(a) He writes his resignation.
(b) He goes to lunch with Anne.
(c) He calls the governor.
(d) He goes out for a beer with Jack.
2. What does Jack do after Anne makes her decision?
(a) Decides to go into politics
(b) Takes a long vacation
(c) Decides to go to grad school
(d) Struggles to find what he wants to do with his life
3. What interrupts the only opportunity Jack and Anne had to be intimate?
(a) Anne's roommate gets upsetting news from home.
(b) Jack's fraternity brothers barge in on them.
(c) Jack's parents return home.
(d) Anne gets a phone call from her mother.
4. Why does Duffy want Gummy Larson to do the construction job on the hospital?
(a) To employ Duffy's son-in-law
(b) Because he has good business references
(c) To sell out his old boss, MacMurfee
(d) Because he submits the lowest bid
5. What does Anne eventually decide about marriage to Jack?
(a) She decides that she will marry Jack but will not expect it to last.
(b) She decides to marry Jack the next time he asks her.
(c) She decides that she will marry Jack when the time is right.
(d) She decides she does not want to marry Jack.
6. How does Adam react to Coffee's request?
(a) He strikes Coffee and throws him out.
(b) He tells Coffee to talk to the governor.
(c) He tells Coffee he does not have the authority to grant his request.
(d) He tells Coffee he will consider his request.
7. What leads Jack to believe that Judge Irwin got a huge influx of cash at some point?
(a) The judge builds a brand new home.
(b) The judge refurnishes his home in antiques.
(c) The judge pays off his $44,000 mortgage in 1914.
(d) The judge buys priceless art.
8. What do Adam and Willie discuss when Jack and Willie go to Adam's apartment?
(a) The baseball scores from last night
(b) The rumors of war in Europe
(c) Goodness and badness
(d) Their former girlfriends
9. What does Anne believe about her relationship with Willie?
(a) That they will be married next year
(b) That they will never get married
(c) That they will be married in six months
(d) That they will be married as soon as Willie gets his divorce
10. What does Adam recall about an argument between Judge Irwin and Governor Stanton?
(a) It was about a woman.
(b) It was about property.
(c) It was about money.
(d) It was about politics.
11. What happened to Judge Irwin's first wife?
(a) She committed suicide.
(b) She died in childbirth.
(c) She divorced Judge Irwin.
(d) She was an invalid and died.
12. What is the subject of Jack's historical research project in Chapter 5?
(a) Civil War battlefields
(b) Revolutionary War munitions
(c) Judge Irwin's past
(d) World War I prisoner camps
13. Who is with Adam at the time of Coffee's visit?
14. What does Gummy want from Adam?
(a) A private appointment for his son
(b) A job for his daughter
(c) A hospital wing named after him
(d) The hospital construction contract
15. What does MacMurfree want in return?
(a) The governor's endorsement when MacMurfee runs for the Senate
(b) He wants the governor to approve his brother-in-law's bid on a big construction project
(c) He wants nothing in return
(d) He wants the child to be named after him
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens between Jack and Anne the summer Jack is 20?
2. What does MacMurfree offer to do?
3. What does the father of the answer to #155 demand of Willie Stark?
4. How long had Jack and Anne been falling in love?
5. What happened to Judge Irwin's second wife?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)