|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie tell Adam to do?
(a) Check out other hospitals
(b) Start picking his staff
(c) Send in his resume
(d) Attend hospital construction meetings
2. What happens between Jack and Anne the summer Jack is 20?
(a) They have a huge fight.
(b) They break up for good.
(c) They pledge to marry.
(d) They start going steady.
3. What leads Jack to believe that Judge Irwin got a huge influx of cash at some point?
(a) The judge builds a brand new home.
(b) The judge refurnishes his home in antiques.
(c) The judge buys priceless art.
(d) The judge pays off his $44,000 mortgage in 1914.
4. How does Adam react to Coffee's request?
(a) He strikes Coffee and throws him out.
(b) He tells Coffee he does not have the authority to grant his request.
(c) He tells Coffee to talk to the governor.
(d) He tells Coffee he will consider his request.
5. What happened to Judge Irwin's first wife?
(a) She was an invalid and died.
(b) She divorced Judge Irwin.
(c) She committed suicide.
(d) She died in childbirth.
6. What does Jack recall during the trip?
(a) His summers at the Landing
(b) The years when he, Adam and Anne were inseparable
(c) His college years
(d) Playing Minor League Baseball
7. Who tells Jack that Anne is having an affair with Willie?
8. Why can Willie not marry Anne now?
(a) Because he wants to wait until Tom has graduated
(b) Because his divorce is not final
(c) Because a divorce would hurt him politically right now
(d) Because he is trying to get his marriage annulled
9. Who is with Adam at the time of Coffee's visit?
10. Why does Duffy want Gummy Larson to do the construction job on the hospital?
(a) Because he submits the lowest bid
(b) To sell out his old boss, MacMurfee
(c) To employ Duffy's son-in-law
(d) Because he has good business references
11. Why does Jack go to see Lucy who is staying at her sister's house?
(a) To ask her out to dinner
(b) To ask her to run the new hospital
(c) To get Lucy to reconcile with the governor
(d) To tell Lucy about the baby
12. What is Anne's marital status now?
(a) She is widowed.
(b) She is separated.
(c) She is divorced.
(d) She has never married.
13. How did Judge Irwin get Mortimer L. Littlepaugh's job?
(a) He hosted cocktail parties for the company executives.
(b) He invited the company CEO for a golf weekend.
(c) He invested a large sum in the company's stock.
(d) He took a bribe to make a ruling on a lawsuit.
14. What is the best approach to secure the answer to #114?
(a) The promise of a good salary
(b) The promise of stock options
(c) The promise of a country club membership
(d) The promise of an opportunity to do good
15. What does Gummy want from Adam?
(a) A job for his daughter
(b) The hospital construction contract
(c) A private appointment for his son
(d) A hospital wing named after him
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mortimer L. Littlepaugh?
2. Why does Anne call and want to see Jack?
3. Why is Anne depressed?
4. Who confirms the fact that Anne is having an affair with Willie?
5. What does Willie consider the new hospital to be?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)