|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Jack that Anne is having an affair with Willie?
2. What question does Jack ask Anne?
(a) "Was the judge ever broke?"
(b) "Will you marry me?"
(c) "Why didn't you want to marry me?"
(d) "How is the judge's health?"
3. What interrupts the only opportunity Jack and Anne had to be intimate?
(a) Anne gets a phone call from her mother.
(b) Jack's parents return home.
(c) Anne's roommate gets upsetting news from home.
(d) Jack's fraternity brothers barge in on them.
4. What does Anne eventually decide about marriage to Jack?
(a) She decides she does not want to marry Jack.
(b) She decides that she will marry Jack but will not expect it to last.
(c) She decides to marry Jack the next time he asks her.
(d) She decides that she will marry Jack when the time is right.
5. What does Anne reveals as the topic of conversation the last time she had lunch with the governor?
(a) A Special Olympics event
(b) A children's home
(c) A new hospital
(d) A new theater
6. Where does Jack spend a weekend with Adam and Anne?
(b) The Landing
(c) New Orleans
7. Why does Duffy want Gummy Larson to do the construction job on the hospital?
(a) Because he has good business references
(b) To employ Duffy's son-in-law
(c) Because he submits the lowest bid
(d) To sell out his old boss, MacMurfee
8. Where does Anne live after her father's death?
(a) A small apartment in the city
(b) In the family home
(c) A farm in Mississippi
(d) In a townhouse in New York
9. Why does Anne call and want to see Jack?
(a) To convince Willie to give Anne the hospital job
(b) To convince Adam to take the position at the hospital.
(c) To ask if she and Jack can get back together
(d) To borrow some money
10. What does Adam do after Coffee leaves?
(a) He writes his resignation.
(b) He calls the governor.
(c) He goes to lunch with Anne.
(d) He goes out for a beer with Jack.
11. What is the subject of Jack's historical research project in Chapter 5?
(a) World War I prisoner camps
(b) Judge Irwin's past
(c) Civil War battlefields
(d) Revolutionary War munitions
12. What does Jack's mother reveal to Jack about Judge Irwin
(a) Judge Irwin is having an affair with Lucy Stark.
(b) Judge Irwin is actually Jack's father.
(c) Judge Irwin is in love with Willie Stark.
(d) Judge Irwin is in love with her.
13. How did Judge Irwin get Mortimer L. Littlepaugh's job?
(a) He invited the company CEO for a golf weekend.
(b) He took a bribe to make a ruling on a lawsuit.
(c) He invested a large sum in the company's stock.
(d) He hosted cocktail parties for the company executives.
14. What else does Jack's mother tell Jack about Judge Irwin?
(a) Judge Irwin has had a heart attack.
(b) Judge Irwin was killed in a car accident.
(c) Judge Irwin has shot Willie Stark.
(d) Judge Irwin has killed himself.
15. What does Anne believe about her relationship with Willie?
(a) That they will be married in six months
(b) That they will never get married
(c) That they will be married next year
(d) That they will be married as soon as Willie gets his divorce
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Mortimer L. Littlepaugh give a letter the night before he dies?
2. Who does Jack marry after Anne rejects him?
3. What does Gummy want from Adam?
4. What does Jack discover about the wealth of Judge Irwin's second wife?
5. What does Jack recall during the trip?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)