|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jack and Anne continue to discuss as the years progress?
(b) Grant money
(d) New cars
2. What happens to Willie and Lucy's son, Tom?
(a) He goes to the prom with his dream girl.
(b) He wrecks his expensive sports car.
(c) He gets all A's on his report card.
(d) He gets into the college of his choice.
3. What does Anne believe about her relationship with Willie?
(a) That they will never get married
(b) That they will be married next year
(c) That they will be married as soon as Willie gets his divorce
(d) That they will be married in six months
4. What leads Jack to believe that Judge Irwin got a huge influx of cash at some point?
(a) The judge refurnishes his home in antiques.
(b) The judge buys priceless art.
(c) The judge builds a brand new home.
(d) The judge pays off his $44,000 mortgage in 1914.
5. What does Willie want for Tom?
(a) To study hard and get a law degree
(b) To have fun he was denied as a child
(c) To marry a good Southern girl and settle down
(d) To spend some time in Europe
6. How does Adam react to Coffee's request?
(a) He tells Coffee he will consider his request.
(b) He tells Coffee to talk to the governor.
(c) He strikes Coffee and throws him out.
(d) He tells Coffee he does not have the authority to grant his request.
7. What question does Jack ask Anne?
(a) "How is the judge's health?"
(b) "Was the judge ever broke?"
(c) "Will you marry me?"
(d) "Why didn't you want to marry me?"
8. Why can Willie not marry Anne now?
(a) Because he wants to wait until Tom has graduated
(b) Because his divorce is not final
(c) Because a divorce would hurt him politically right now
(d) Because he is trying to get his marriage annulled
9. What does Adam recall about an argument between Judge Irwin and Governor Stanton?
(a) It was about a woman.
(b) It was about property.
(c) It was about politics.
(d) It was about money.
10. Who is the pregnant girl naming Tom Stark as the father of her baby?
(a) Sara Frye
(b) Sibyl Frye
(c) Lucille Burke
(d) Sadie Burke
11. What is Anne's marital status now?
(a) She is divorced.
(b) She has never married.
(c) She is widowed.
(d) She is separated.
12. What does Jack do after Anne makes her decision?
(a) Decides to go to grad school
(b) Decides to go into politics
(c) Takes a long vacation
(d) Struggles to find what he wants to do with his life
13. Who is to secure the answer to #114 for Willie?
(a) Judge Irwin
(b) Jack Burden
(c) Lucy Stark
(d) Mrs. Burden
14. What happened to Judge Irwin's first wife?
(a) She died in childbirth.
(b) She divorced Judge Irwin.
(c) She committed suicide.
(d) She was an invalid and died.
15. What does Jack convince Adam to do about Coffee?
(a) Tear up his resignation and have Coffee arrested.
(b) Have a drink and calm down.
(c) Get out of town for a few days.
(d) Sleep on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Adam, Anne and Jack spend the evening?
2. Who does Gummy Larson send to see Adam in Chapter 8?
3. What does Jack's mother reveal to Jack about Judge Irwin
4. What is the best approach to secure the answer to #114?
5. What bombshell does Jack drop on Anne?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)