|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Jack's marriage?
(a) It ends when his wife dies.
(b) He and his wife are separated.
(c) It does not last long.
(d) He and his wife have a long distance marriage.
2. How did Judge Irwin get Mortimer L. Littlepaugh's job?
(a) He hosted cocktail parties for the company executives.
(b) He took a bribe to make a ruling on a lawsuit.
(c) He invited the company CEO for a golf weekend.
(d) He invested a large sum in the company's stock.
3. Who does Gummy Larson send to see Adam in Chapter 8?
(a) Harold Coffee
(b) Herbert Coffee
(c) Hubert Coffee
(d) Howard Coffee
4. Who is with Adam at the time of Coffee's visit?
5. What does Adam recall about an argument between Judge Irwin and Governor Stanton?
(a) It was about a woman.
(b) It was about money.
(c) It was about politics.
(d) It was about property.
6. What does Gummy want from Adam?
(a) A job for his daughter
(b) The hospital construction contract
(c) A hospital wing named after him
(d) A private appointment for his son
7. What does Willie consider the new hospital to be?
(a) A nuisance
(b) A money pit
(c) A necessity for the state
(d) A monument to himself
8. What bombshell does Jack drop on Anne?
(a) Jack has been diagnosed with cancer.
(b) Jack is moving to New York City.
(c) Jack is going to marry someone else.
(d) Judge Irwin had taken a bribe and her father, Governor Stanton, was implicated
9. What does Anne tell Jack about how Judge Irwin solved his money problems?
(a) He got a substantial bank loan.
(b) He married a wealthy woman.
(c) He sold most of his property.
(d) He took out a large insurance policy on his first wife.
10. What is Anne's marital status now?
(a) She is divorced.
(b) She is separated.
(c) She is widowed.
(d) She has never married.
11. What does Anne eventually decide about marriage to Jack?
(a) She decides she does not want to marry Jack.
(b) She decides that she will marry Jack when the time is right.
(c) She decides that she will marry Jack but will not expect it to last.
(d) She decides to marry Jack the next time he asks her.
12. What leads Jack to believe that Judge Irwin got a huge influx of cash at some point?
(a) The judge refurnishes his home in antiques.
(b) The judge buys priceless art.
(c) The judge pays off his $44,000 mortgage in 1914.
(d) The judge builds a brand new home.
13. What does Jack recall during the trip?
(a) His college years
(b) Playing Minor League Baseball
(c) His summers at the Landing
(d) The years when he, Adam and Anne were inseparable
14. Why does Jack go to see Lucy who is staying at her sister's house?
(a) To get Lucy to reconcile with the governor
(b) To ask her out to dinner
(c) To tell Lucy about the baby
(d) To ask her to run the new hospital
15. Who is Willie told will be the best person to run the hospital?
(a) Adam Stanton
(b) Anne Stanton
(c) Lucille Burke
(d) Sadie Burke
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Willie and Lucy's son, Tom?
2. Why does Anne call and want to see Jack?
3. What does Lucy want Tom to do?
4. What do Jack and Anne continue to discuss as the years progress?
5. What does Willie want for Tom?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)