|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack do after Anne makes her decision?
(a) Takes a long vacation
(b) Struggles to find what he wants to do with his life
(c) Decides to go into politics
(d) Decides to go to grad school
2. What does Anne tell Jack about how Judge Irwin solved his money problems?
(a) He got a substantial bank loan.
(b) He took out a large insurance policy on his first wife.
(c) He married a wealthy woman.
(d) He sold most of his property.
3. Why does Jack fear for Anne in her involvement with the governor?
(a) She will put her healthy in jeopardy by working long hours.
(b) She will be fired
(c) She might be hurt.
(d) She should not get involved in politics.
4. What do Jack and Anne continue to discuss as the years progress?
(b) Grant money
(c) New cars
5. What happens between Jack and Anne the summer Jack is 20?
(a) They pledge to marry.
(b) They have a huge fight.
(c) They break up for good.
(d) They start going steady.
6. Who is Willie told will be the best person to run the hospital?
(a) Lucille Burke
(b) Sadie Burke
(c) Anne Stanton
(d) Adam Stanton
7. Who is to secure the answer to #114 for Willie?
(a) Jack Burden
(b) Lucy Stark
(c) Judge Irwin
(d) Mrs. Burden
8. Who tells Jack that Anne is having an affair with Willie?
9. When does Jack make the decision to return home?
(a) When he is able to deal with the facts
(b) When he loses his credit cards
(c) When he runs out of money
(d) When his hotel reservation is up
10. Where does Anne live after her father's death?
(a) In a townhouse in New York
(b) In the family home
(c) A farm in Mississippi
(d) A small apartment in the city
11. Where does Jack spend a weekend with Adam and Anne?
(b) New Orleans
(c) The Landing
12. What does Jack's mother reveal to Jack about Judge Irwin
(a) Judge Irwin is in love with her.
(b) Judge Irwin is having an affair with Lucy Stark.
(c) Judge Irwin is actually Jack's father.
(d) Judge Irwin is in love with Willie Stark.
13. What does Adam do after Coffee leaves?
(a) He goes out for a beer with Jack.
(b) He goes to lunch with Anne.
(c) He writes his resignation.
(d) He calls the governor.
14. What do Adam and Willie discuss when Jack and Willie go to Adam's apartment?
(a) Their former girlfriends
(b) Goodness and badness
(c) The rumors of war in Europe
(d) The baseball scores from last night
15. What happens to Mortimer L. Littlepaugh?
(a) He falls from a fifth story hotel window and dies.
(b) He is in a car accident and dies.
(c) He has a heart attack and dies.
(d) He is hit by a bus and dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack discover about the wealth of Judge Irwin's second wife?
2. What is the subject of Jack's historical research project in Chapter 5?
3. Who does Gummy Larson send to see Adam in Chapter 8?
4. Where does Jack go in Chapter 7?
5. What does Willie tell Adam to do?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)