|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anne reveals as the topic of conversation the last time she had lunch with the governor?
(a) A Special Olympics event
(b) A children's home
(c) A new theater
(d) A new hospital
2. How did Judge Irwin get Mortimer L. Littlepaugh's job?
(a) He invested a large sum in the company's stock.
(b) He took a bribe to make a ruling on a lawsuit.
(c) He invited the company CEO for a golf weekend.
(d) He hosted cocktail parties for the company executives.
3. What is the best approach to secure the answer to #114?
(a) The promise of an opportunity to do good
(b) The promise of a country club membership
(c) The promise of a good salary
(d) The promise of stock options
4. What is the subject of Jack's historical research project in Chapter 5?
(a) World War I prisoner camps
(b) Judge Irwin's past
(c) Revolutionary War munitions
(d) Civil War battlefields
5. What does Jack do after Anne makes her decision?
(a) Struggles to find what he wants to do with his life
(b) Decides to go into politics
(c) Takes a long vacation
(d) Decides to go to grad school
6. What question does Jack ask Anne?
(a) "Was the judge ever broke?"
(b) "Will you marry me?"
(c) "Why didn't you want to marry me?"
(d) "How is the judge's health?"
7. What does Lucy think about Tom?
(a) He is the best son a mother could have.
(b) He has a charming personality.
(c) He is wild, selfish and idle.
(d) He is selfless and giving.
8. Who confirms the fact that Anne is having an affair with Willie?
9. What does Anne do when her father becomes an invalid?
(a) She takes care of him until he dies.
(b) She hires a full-time nurse to care for him.
(c) She sends him to live with relatives.
(d) She puts him in a long-term care facility.
10. How do Adam, Anne and Jack spend the evening?
(a) They go to see a play.
(b) They read in the library.
(c) They go to a new restaurant.
(d) Adam plays the piano and they dance.
11. What do Jack and Anne continue to discuss as the years progress?
(b) New cars
(d) Grant money
12. What puzzles Jack about the hospital discussion?
(a) He wonders who the major contributors are for the hospital fund.
(b) He wonders why the construction schedule isn't more aggressive.
(c) He does not know how Anne knew that Adam had been asked to head up the hospital.
(d) He wonders where all the money is going.
13. To whom does Mortimer L. Littlepaugh give a letter the night before he dies?
(a) Governor Stanton
(b) His sister, Miss Lily Mae Littlepaugh
(c) His brother, Clayton A. Littlepaugh
(d) Judge Irwin
14. What happens between Jack and Anne the summer Jack is 20?
(a) They break up for good.
(b) They have a huge fight.
(c) They pledge to marry.
(d) They start going steady.
15. Why does Anne call and want to see Jack?
(a) To convince Adam to take the position at the hospital.
(b) To ask if she and Jack can get back together
(c) To borrow some money
(d) To convince Willie to give Anne the hospital job
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie say about interfering in the management of the hospital?
2. Why does Jack fear for Anne in her involvement with the governor?
3. How does Jack find out about what happened between Adam and Coffee?
4. Who is Willie told will be the best person to run the hospital?
5. What else does Jack's mother tell Jack about Judge Irwin?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)