|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
2. Why is Willie's wife, Lucy, leaving Willie?
(a) Because Willie is having an affair
(b) Because she has fallen in love with someone else
(c) Because he has covered up Byram White's crime
(d) Because she cannot live in the glare of the public spotlight
3. Gilbert sends Lavinia to an expensive school in Atlanta and _____________________________.
(a) Sends for her at the holidays
(b) Gets Cass a job in a bank
(c) Takes Cass with him
(d) Sends Cass to West Point Academy
4. In what year does the story begin?
5. What happens during the next election for governor?
(a) Willie runs but does not accept the position.
(b) Will is soundly defeated.
(c) Willie is elected.
(d) Willie declines to run.
6. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
(a) To Willie's farm in Mason City
(b) To Baton Rouge
(c) To Memphis
(d) To Biloxi
7. How does Willie enter politics again?
(a) Willie is appointed to his old position of county treasurer.
(b) He stumps for a congressional candidate who is running against the candidate who is a friend of Dolph Pillsbury's.
(c) Willie is elected to the school board.
(d) Willie runs for mayor during the next election.
8. What does Willie want of Judge Irwin?
(a) He wants the judge to endorse him in the next election.
(b) He wants the judge to campaign for him in the next election.
(c) He wants the judge to support a man Willie has chosen for a senate nomination.
(d) He wants the judge to contribute to his campaign funds.
9. How did Cass die?
(a) Of old age
(b) In the Battle of Gettysburg
(c) In a military hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1864
(d) From cancer
10. How does Judge Irwin react when a dinner guest berates Governor Stark's programs?
(a) He lets the arguments escalate.
(b) He agrees with his guest.
(c) He defends them as necessary in a changing world.
(d) He changes the subject.
11. Of what has White been accused?
(a) Propositioning one of the pages at the state house
(b) Making a deal with the Tax Lands Bureau for a kickback
(c) Having an affair with a congressman's wife
(d) Cheating on his taxes
12. Willie Stark is known as ______________.
(a) The Big Guy
(b) The Boss
(d) The Man
13. Who is Cass Mastern?
(a) The topic of Jack's dissertation for the Ph.D. in History
(b) Jack's landlord during college
(c) Jack's high school football coach
(d) Jack's favorite history professor
14. To what year does the story flash back?
15. What does Willie order when everyone else orders beer?
(a) Sweet tea
(b) Orange pop
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recommended the school for Cass?
2. Who befriends Willie to keep an eye on his campaign for the Harrison faction?
3. Who are Willie and his entourage visiting at a farm?
4. Why does Jack attend the state university instead of abiding by his mother's wishes and going to Harvard or Princeton?
5. Which political faction covertly backs Willie's campaign?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)