|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cass do with his own slaves?
(a) Threatens them with mutilation if they try to run away
(b) Frees them and hires them
(c) Increases the whippings
(d) Frees them and sends them to school
2. What do Jack and Judge Irwin make while Jack is growing up?
(b) Model airplanes
(c) Models of ancient weapons
(d) Ships in bottles
3. What happens to Annabelle's husband, Duncan Trice?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He is shot in a bar fight.
(c) He is shot accidentally while cleaning his pistols.
(d) He is thrown from his horse.
4. Who steps in and offers blackmail as a tool to help White?
(a) Governor Stark
(b) Tiny Duffy
(c) Judge Irwin
(d) Former Governor Stanton
5. To what year does the story flash back?
6. With whom did Adam and Anne Stanton live as children?
(a) Their godfather, Judge Irwin
(b) Willie Stark's family
(c) Jack Burden
(d) Their widowed father, Governor Stanton
7. On what topic does Willie complain to Jack about Lucy?
(a) How much weight Lucy seems to have gained recently
(b) How much Lucy has overextended her wardrobe budget
(c) How Lucy is raising their son, Tom
(d) How much money Lucy is spending to decorate the governor's mansion
8. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
(a) They are conventional.
(b) They are not good.
(c) They are innovative.
(d) They are rousing.
9. Of what has White been accused?
(a) Making a deal with the Tax Lands Bureau for a kickback
(b) Having an affair with a congressman's wife
(c) Propositioning one of the pages at the state house
(d) Cheating on his taxes
10. Who is the woman who works for Willie?
(a) Sadie Burke
(b) Anne Stanton
(c) Marie Stanton
(d) Lucille Burke
11. Why will Tiny Duffy not help Willie improve his dreadful campaign speeches?
(a) Tiny has never held a management position before.
(b) Tiny is busy organizing Willie's travel itinerary.
(c) Duffy is employed by the Harrison faction and they do not expect Willie to win, simply dilute the MacMurfee votes.
(d) Tiny does not have any speechwriting experience.
12. How many husbands has Mrs. Burden had?
13. What was included in Cass' papers?
(a) Photos, letters, a journal and account books
(b) Old bank drafts
(c) Sketches and a diary
(d) Love letters
14. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
(a) 130 miles
(b) 33 miles
(c) 30 miles
(d) 100 miles
15. What happens during a fire drill at the school two years after it is constructed?
(a) The fire drill is actually a real fire and most of the children are overcome with smoke.
(b) Someone pulls the fire alarm as a prank and is suspended for three weeks.
(c) The students and teachers are locked in the building.
(d) The brickwork collapses causing the deaths of three children and serious injury to a dozen more.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
2. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
3. Who are Willie and his entourage visiting at a farm?
4. With whom has Willie been having an affair?
5. Who takes over as Jack's father after Jack's father leaves?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)