|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Annabelle sell Phebe, her waiting maid?
(a) Because Phebe had set fire to the bedroom drapes with a candle.
(b) Because she saw Annabelle shoot her husband.
(c) Because Annabelle wants a younger maid in the house.
(d) Because Phebe knows about Annabelle's husband's ring on Cass' finger.
2. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
(a) Sugar Boy
(b) Tiny Duffy
(c) Judge Irwin
(d) Jack Burden
3. What does the answer to #45 reveal to Willie?
(a) That Willie will be a wonderful governor.
(b) That she is very attracted to Willie.
(c) That she has been attending all of Willie's speeches.
(d) That Willie has been used by the Hamiltons in the campaign.
4. Who do Willie and Jack drive to Burden's Landing to see?
(a) Sadie Burke
(b) Judge Irwin
(c) Mrs. Burden
(d) Anne Stanton
5. In what year does Willie first run for governor?
6. How does Willie benefit from what happens at the school fire drill?
(a) Willie gets reelected on a special emergency vote.
(b) The people realize the corruption related to the brick quality and they should have voted for Willie.
(c) Willie is asked to work as a consultant on the rebuilding of the school.
(d) Willie gets to hire a new architect who is a friend of his.
7. With whom did Adam and Anne Stanton live as children?
(a) Their godfather, Judge Irwin
(b) Their widowed father, Governor Stanton
(c) Willie Stark's family
(d) Jack Burden
8. During this time, Willie and Lucy have a son named __________.
9. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
(a) The Mason City Fourth of July Celebration
(b) The politics involved in a construction contract award
(c) The fire at the Mason City Elementary School
(d) The Mason City Labor Day Beauty Pageant
10. Gilbert sends Lavinia to an expensive school in Atlanta and _____________________________.
(a) Sends for her at the holidays
(b) Takes Cass with him
(c) Sends Cass to West Point Academy
(d) Gets Cass a job in a bank
11. How did Cass die?
(a) In the Battle of Gettysburg
(b) Of old age
(c) In a military hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1864
(d) From cancer
12. Who takes over as Jack's father after Jack's father leaves?
(a) Mr. Stark
(b) Judge Irwin
(c) Governor Stanton
(d) Grandfather Burden
13. What two major political factions run the state?
(a) The Irwin faction and the Stanton faction
(b) The Stark faction and the Burden faction
(c) The Harrison faction and the MacMurfee faction
(d) The Burke faction and the Stark faction
14. What does Willie tell Jack to do?
(a) Find his own way back to town
(b) Find a way to influence the judge
(c) Find something to blackmail Judge Irwin
(d) Make sure Willie is front page news tomorrow
15. What does Cass learn from Gilbert?
(a) How to order wine in a restaurant
(b) How to manage a plantation
(c) How to speak French
(d) How to ride a horse
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Willie Stark's job when Jack Burden first meets him?
2. With what married woman did Cass become involved at Transylvania?
3. What does Gilbert do after he runs away from home?
4. Of what has White been accused?
5. What was included in Cass' papers?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)