|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two major political factions run the state?
(a) The Harrison faction and the MacMurfee faction
(b) The Irwin faction and the Stanton faction
(c) The Stark faction and the Burden faction
(d) The Burke faction and the Stark faction
2. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
(a) The Mason City Fourth of July Celebration
(b) The politics involved in a construction contract award
(c) The fire at the Mason City Elementary School
(d) The Mason City Labor Day Beauty Pageant
3. Why is Willie's wife, Lucy, leaving Willie?
(a) Because he has covered up Byram White's crime
(b) Because Willie is having an affair
(c) Because she cannot live in the glare of the public spotlight
(d) Because she has fallen in love with someone else
4. During this time, Willie and Lucy have a son named __________.
5. Who recommended the school for Cass?
(a) Ulysses S. Grant
(b) Robert E. Lee
(c) Jefferson Davis
(d) Abraham Lincoln
6. What does the answer to #45 reveal to Willie?
(a) That Willie has been used by the Hamiltons in the campaign.
(b) That Willie will be a wonderful governor.
(c) That she has been attending all of Willie's speeches.
(d) That she is very attracted to Willie.
7. How does Judge Irwin react when a dinner guest berates Governor Stark's programs?
(a) He defends them as necessary in a changing world.
(b) He changes the subject.
(c) He agrees with his guest.
(d) He lets the arguments escalate.
8. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
(a) To Memphis
(b) To Biloxi
(c) To Baton Rouge
(d) To Willie's farm in Mason City
9. Cass and his brother, Gilbert, and sister, Lavinia, were born in poverty in what state?
10. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) Jack Burden
(b) Willie Stark
(c) Anne Stanton
(d) Adam Stanton
11. Who was like a second father to Jack after Jack's father left?
(a) Mr. Burke
(b) Mr. Stark
(c) Governor Stanton
(d) Judge Irwin
12. What happens to Annabelle's husband, Duncan Trice?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He is thrown from his horse.
(c) He is shot in a bar fight.
(d) He is shot accidentally while cleaning his pistols.
13. Who were Jack's childhood friends?
(a) Willie and Teddy Stark
(b) Tiny Duffy and Sugar Boy
(c) Adam and Anne Stanton
(d) Sadie and Marie Burke
14. With whom has Willie been having an affair?
(a) Sadie Burke
(b) Lucille Burden
(c) Mary Harrison
(d) Anne Stanton
15. How does Willie enter politics again?
(a) Willie is elected to the school board.
(b) He stumps for a congressional candidate who is running against the candidate who is a friend of Dolph Pillsbury's.
(c) Willie runs for mayor during the next election.
(d) Willie is appointed to his old position of county treasurer.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what married woman did Cass become involved at Transylvania?
2. Who are Willie and his entourage visiting at a farm?
3. Why will Tiny Duffy not help Willie improve his dreadful campaign speeches?
4. What does Cass do with his own slaves?
5. What does Jack think he can find to blackmail Judge Irwin?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)