|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Willie first run for governor?
2. Why does the Attorney General, Hugh Miller resign his position?
(a) He has been diagonosed with a terminal illness.
(b) He can no longer keep the travel schedule necessary for the job.
(c) His wife has a terminal illness.
(d) He objects to the help given to White.
3. How did Cass die?
(a) In the Battle of Gettysburg
(b) Of old age
(c) In a military hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1864
(d) From cancer
4. What does Cass learn from Gilbert?
(a) How to speak French
(b) How to order wine in a restaurant
(c) How to ride a horse
(d) How to manage a plantation
5. Why does Jack attend the state university instead of abiding by his mother's wishes and going to Harvard or Princeton?
(a) Jack thinks his mother still needs his help occasionally.
(b) Jack does not want to move that far away from home.
(c) Jack does not think he would adapt well to a northern school.
(d) Jack wants to put himself through college and the state school is less expensive.
6. Who befriends Willie to keep an eye on his campaign for the Harrison faction?
(a) Mrs. Pillsbury
(b) Sadie Burke
(c) Lucille MacMurfee
(d) Anne Stanton
7. What happens when Willie runs for the governorship in 1930?
(a) Willie wins.
(b) Willie is defeated by the Harrison faction.
(c) Willie wins but does not accept the office.
(d) Willie is defeated by the MacMurfee faction.
8. What does Willie want for his son, Tom?
(a) He wants him to marry a nice girl and settle down in Mason City.
(b) He wants him to be a part of all the excitement of Willie's administration.
(c) He wants him to go to Harvard or Yale and become a lawyer.
(d) He wants him to become a professional baseball player.
9. Who was like a second father to Jack after Jack's father left?
(a) Judge Irwin
(b) Mr. Burke
(c) Governor Stanton
(d) Mr. Stark
10. With whom did Adam and Anne Stanton live as children?
(a) Willie Stark's family
(b) Jack Burden
(c) Their godfather, Judge Irwin
(d) Their widowed father, Governor Stanton
11. Why do people come to hear Willie speak?
(a) Because Willie gives prizes to anyone bringing children to the speeches.
(b) Because they're interested in anyone who opposes Pillsbury's friend.
(c) Because Willie offers free refreshments at his speeches.
(d) Because they want to hear everything they can about all the candidates.
12. How does Jack come in contact with Cass Mastern?
(a) Cass' grandson contacts Jack to determine if Cass' papers have any financial worth.
(b) Cass offers dissertation services to grad students.
(c) Cass places an ad for an apartment for rent.
(d) Cass was a highly-honored Civil War general.
13. What happens during a fire drill at the school two years after it is constructed?
(a) The fire drill is actually a real fire and most of the children are overcome with smoke.
(b) Someone pulls the fire alarm as a prank and is suspended for three weeks.
(c) The brickwork collapses causing the deaths of three children and serious injury to a dozen more.
(d) The students and teachers are locked in the building.
14. During dinner at the judge's home one night in 1933, what topic comes up as part of the conversation?
(a) Jack's job in politics and the influence he holds
(b) Jack's old girlfriends
(c) The coming war in Europe
(d) Jack's school days
15. What is the situation regarding a brick kiln and the bricks Moore would use on the awarded job?
(a) The kiln is located in another state and there are tax issues.
(b) There had been a lawsuit about the inferior quality of the bricks.
(c) The brick kiln cannot produce the amount of bricks needed to meet the deadline.
(d) The brick kiln cannot produce the correct color of bricks for the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack think he can find to blackmail Judge Irwin?
2. Why does Willie lose when he runs for reelection?
3. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
4. What is Judge Irwin's response to Willie's request?
5. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)