|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what college does Gilbert send Cass?
(a) Harvard University in Massachusetts
(b) Yale University in Connecticut
(c) Princeton University in New Jersey
(d) Transylvania University in Kentucky
2. During this time, Willie and Lucy have a son named __________.
3. Why does Willie lose when he runs for reelection?
(a) He does not have enough money to print campaign posters.
(b) He runs against the mayor's very popular son.
(c) The city commissioners start a rumor that the contractor Willie wanted, Jeffers, hired Negro workers.
(d) He does not have a good record on administering city tax dollars.
4. What does Jack think he can find to blackmail Judge Irwin?
(a) He knows that the Judge has an illegitimate child.
(b) He knows that the Judge has money in Cayman banks.
(c) He does not think he can find anything.
(d) He knows the dirt about the Judge's divorce.
5. What is the situation regarding a brick kiln and the bricks Moore would use on the awarded job?
(a) There had been a lawsuit about the inferior quality of the bricks.
(b) The brick kiln cannot produce the amount of bricks needed to meet the deadline.
(c) The brick kiln cannot produce the correct color of bricks for the school.
(d) The kiln is located in another state and there are tax issues.
6. What kinds of stories are surfacing at the newspaper office, The Chronicle?
(a) Stories about environmental issues
(b) Stories about prohibition
(c) Stories about segregation
(d) Stories about corruption in county courthouses
7. During dinner at the judge's home one night in 1933, what topic comes up as part of the conversation?
(a) Jack's school days
(b) The coming war in Europe
(c) Jack's old girlfriends
(d) Jack's job in politics and the influence he holds
8. Why is Willie's wife, Lucy, leaving Willie?
(a) Because he has covered up Byram White's crime
(b) Because she cannot live in the glare of the public spotlight
(c) Because she has fallen in love with someone else
(d) Because Willie is having an affair
9. With whom did Adam and Anne Stanton live as children?
(a) Their widowed father, Governor Stanton
(b) Jack Burden
(c) Their godfather, Judge Irwin
(d) Willie Stark's family
10. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
(a) The Mason City Labor Day Beauty Pageant
(b) The politics involved in a construction contract award
(c) The fire at the Mason City Elementary School
(d) The Mason City Fourth of July Celebration
11. What happens to Annabelle's husband, Duncan Trice?
(a) He is thrown from his horse.
(b) He is shot in a bar fight.
(c) He is shot accidentally while cleaning his pistols.
(d) He commits suicide.
12. On what topic does Willie complain to Jack about Lucy?
(a) How much weight Lucy seems to have gained recently
(b) How much money Lucy is spending to decorate the governor's mansion
(c) How Lucy is raising their son, Tom
(d) How much Lucy has overextended her wardrobe budget
13. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
(b) Mason City
(d) Baton Rouge
14. What happens when Willie runs for the governorship in 1930?
(a) Willie wins but does not accept the office.
(b) Willie is defeated by the Harrison faction.
(c) Willie wins.
(d) Willie is defeated by the MacMurfee faction.
15. What is Willie's wife's profession?
(a) Court reporter
(d) School teacher
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of Jack's dissertation?
2. Why do people come to hear Willie speak?
3. In a flashback, what does the author reveal about Jack's father?
4. What does Willie order when everyone else orders beer?
5. Why does the Attorney General, Hugh Miller resign his position?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)