|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which political faction covertly backs Willie's campaign?
(a) The Irwin faction
(b) The Harrison faction
(c) The Stanton faction
(d) The MacMurfee faction
2. What happens to indicate that Lucy is not engaged in Willie's life?
(a) Willie notices that she no longer has the chef prepare Willie's favorite meals.
(b) Lucy takes several independent vacations.
(c) Willie finds her asleep early even with the threat of impeachment hanging over Willie's head.
(d) Lucy takes frequent shopping trips out of town.
3. With whom did Adam and Anne Stanton live as children?
(a) Willie Stark's family
(b) Their godfather, Judge Irwin
(c) Their widowed father, Governor Stanton
(d) Jack Burden
4. What does Jack Burden carry with him?
(a) A tape recorder
(b) A whiskey flask
(c) A pencil and paper
(d) A press pass
5. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
(a) They listen to the radio.
(b) They eat dinner.
(c) They play cards.
(d) They go hunting.
6. Who steps in and offers blackmail as a tool to help White?
(a) Judge Irwin
(b) Tiny Duffy
(c) Governor Stark
(d) Former Governor Stanton
7. How does Jack come in contact with Cass Mastern?
(a) Cass was a highly-honored Civil War general.
(b) Cass offers dissertation services to grad students.
(c) Cass places an ad for an apartment for rent.
(d) Cass' grandson contacts Jack to determine if Cass' papers have any financial worth.
8. What happens during a fire drill at the school two years after it is constructed?
(a) The students and teachers are locked in the building.
(b) The brickwork collapses causing the deaths of three children and serious injury to a dozen more.
(c) The fire drill is actually a real fire and most of the children are overcome with smoke.
(d) Someone pulls the fire alarm as a prank and is suspended for three weeks.
9. Who befriends Willie to keep an eye on his campaign for the Harrison faction?
(a) Mrs. Pillsbury
(b) Lucille MacMurfee
(c) Sadie Burke
(d) Anne Stanton
10. During dinner at the judge's home one night in 1933, what topic comes up as part of the conversation?
(a) The coming war in Europe
(b) Jack's old girlfriends
(c) Jack's job in politics and the influence he holds
(d) Jack's school days
11. When Jack returns to his office, he finds that ______________________________ have been begun for State Auditor, Byram B. White.
(a) Reelection plans
(b) Impeachment proceedings
(c) Anniversary plans
(d) Birthday celebration
12. Why will Tiny Duffy not help Willie improve his dreadful campaign speeches?
(a) Tiny has never held a management position before.
(b) Tiny does not have any speechwriting experience.
(c) Duffy is employed by the Harrison faction and they do not expect Willie to win, simply dilute the MacMurfee votes.
(d) Tiny is busy organizing Willie's travel itinerary.
13. Of what has White been accused?
(a) Propositioning one of the pages at the state house
(b) Cheating on his taxes
(c) Having an affair with a congressman's wife
(d) Making a deal with the Tax Lands Bureau for a kickback
14. What surprising twist occurs at Willie's next speech?
(a) Willie resigns before he is blackmailed.
(b) Willie resigns because he gets some bad medical news.
(c) Willie resigns because his wife cannot withstand the rigors of the campaign.
(d) Willie tells the crowd about how he has been duped and he is resigning in order to support MacMurfee.
15. What does Willie want for his son, Tom?
(a) He wants him to become a professional baseball player.
(b) He wants him to marry a nice girl and settle down in Mason City.
(c) He wants him to be a part of all the excitement of Willie's administration.
(d) He wants him to go to Harvard or Yale and become a lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what year does the story flash back?
2. In a flashback, what does the author reveal about Jack's father?
3. Who is Cass Mastern?
4. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
5. What is the situation regarding a brick kiln and the bricks Moore would use on the awarded job?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)