|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Willie's wife's profession?
(a) Court reporter
(c) School teacher
2. What does Annabelle do when she sees Cass after her husband's death?
(a) She throws herself at Cass in grief.
(b) She puts her husband's wedding ring on Cass.
(c) She tells Cass to leave.
(d) She faints.
3. In what year does the story begin?
4. How did Cass die?
(a) In the Battle of Gettysburg
(b) Of old age
(c) From cancer
(d) In a military hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1864
5. Who is Cass Mastern?
(a) Jack's landlord during college
(b) Jack's high school football coach
(c) The topic of Jack's dissertation for the Ph.D. in History
(d) Jack's favorite history professor
6. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
(a) They are not good.
(b) They are innovative.
(c) They are conventional.
(d) They are rousing.
7. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
(a) They go hunting.
(b) They eat dinner.
(c) They play cards.
(d) They listen to the radio.
8. What kinds of stories are surfacing at the newspaper office, The Chronicle?
(a) Stories about corruption in county courthouses
(b) Stories about environmental issues
(c) Stories about segregation
(d) Stories about prohibition
9. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
(b) Mason City
(d) Baton Rouge
10. What two major political factions run the state?
(a) The Irwin faction and the Stanton faction
(b) The Harrison faction and the MacMurfee faction
(c) The Stark faction and the Burden faction
(d) The Burke faction and the Stark faction
11. How is Dolph Pillsbury connected to the troubles with the brick kiln?
(a) Pillsbury's brother-in-law owns the kiln and Pillsbury is suspected of getting kickbacks on the school job.
(b) Pillsbury is a major investor in the kiln business.
(c) Pillsbury used to make bricks for the kiln company.
(d) Pillsbury used to do the accounting for the kiln company.
12. In a flashback, what does the author reveal about Jack's father?
(a) Jack's father was a homosexual.
(b) Jack's father left his family with no explanation.
(c) Jack's father had multiple affairs.
(d) Jack's father never got his law degree.
13. What does Cass do with his own slaves?
(a) Frees them and sends them to school
(b) Increases the whippings
(c) Threatens them with mutilation if they try to run away
(d) Frees them and hires them
14. What does Willie want for his son, Tom?
(a) He wants him to be a part of all the excitement of Willie's administration.
(b) He wants him to go to Harvard or Yale and become a lawyer.
(c) He wants him to become a professional baseball player.
(d) He wants him to marry a nice girl and settle down in Mason City.
15. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
(a) To Memphis
(b) To Baton Rouge
(c) To Willie's farm in Mason City
(d) To Biloxi
Short Answer Questions
1. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
2. What happens during the next election for governor?
3. Which political faction covertly backs Willie's campaign?
4. What does Willie tell Jack that he is going to build?
5. Of what has White been accused?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)