|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who recommended the school for Cass?
(a) Robert E. Lee
(b) Jefferson Davis
(c) Abraham Lincoln
(d) Ulysses S. Grant
2. How is Dolph Pillsbury connected to the troubles with the brick kiln?
(a) Pillsbury used to do the accounting for the kiln company.
(b) Pillsbury used to make bricks for the kiln company.
(c) Pillsbury's brother-in-law owns the kiln and Pillsbury is suspected of getting kickbacks on the school job.
(d) Pillsbury is a major investor in the kiln business.
3. Who was like a second father to Jack after Jack's father left?
(a) Mr. Stark
(b) Governor Stanton
(c) Mr. Burke
(d) Judge Irwin
4. Why does Willie lose when he runs for reelection?
(a) He runs against the mayor's very popular son.
(b) He does not have enough money to print campaign posters.
(c) The city commissioners start a rumor that the contractor Willie wanted, Jeffers, hired Negro workers.
(d) He does not have a good record on administering city tax dollars.
5. To what college does Gilbert send Cass?
(a) Yale University in Connecticut
(b) Princeton University in New Jersey
(c) Transylvania University in Kentucky
(d) Harvard University in Massachusetts
6. What is the situation regarding a brick kiln and the bricks Moore would use on the awarded job?
(a) The kiln is located in another state and there are tax issues.
(b) The brick kiln cannot produce the correct color of bricks for the school.
(c) There had been a lawsuit about the inferior quality of the bricks.
(d) The brick kiln cannot produce the amount of bricks needed to meet the deadline.
7. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
(a) To Memphis
(b) To Willie's farm in Mason City
(c) To Baton Rouge
(d) To Biloxi
8. What happens during a fire drill at the school two years after it is constructed?
(a) Someone pulls the fire alarm as a prank and is suspended for three weeks.
(b) The fire drill is actually a real fire and most of the children are overcome with smoke.
(c) The students and teachers are locked in the building.
(d) The brickwork collapses causing the deaths of three children and serious injury to a dozen more.
9. What does Willie order when everyone else orders beer?
(b) Orange pop
(d) Sweet tea
10. What is Willie's wife's profession?
(a) School teacher
(b) Court reporter
11. Why will Tiny Duffy not help Willie improve his dreadful campaign speeches?
(a) Duffy is employed by the Harrison faction and they do not expect Willie to win, simply dilute the MacMurfee votes.
(b) Tiny has never held a management position before.
(c) Tiny is busy organizing Willie's travel itinerary.
(d) Tiny does not have any speechwriting experience.
12. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
(a) They eat dinner.
(b) They listen to the radio.
(c) They play cards.
(d) They go hunting.
13. Who were Jack's childhood friends?
(a) Adam and Anne Stanton
(b) Tiny Duffy and Sugar Boy
(c) Sadie and Marie Burke
(d) Willie and Teddy Stark
14. How did Tiny Duffy get his name?
(a) He has a small intellect.
(b) He has a tiny head.
(c) He is a large, overweight man.
(d) He is a short, slim man.
15. Why does Annabelle sell Phebe, her waiting maid?
(a) Because Phebe had set fire to the bedroom drapes with a candle.
(b) Because Annabelle wants a younger maid in the house.
(c) Because Phebe knows about Annabelle's husband's ring on Cass' finger.
(d) Because she saw Annabelle shoot her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annabelle do when she sees Cass after her husband's death?
2. What happens when Willie runs for the governorship in 1930?
3. How does Willie benefit from what happens at the school fire drill?
4. What is the topic of Jack's dissertation?
5. Who is the woman who works for Willie?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)