|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Judge Irwin's response to Willie's request?
(a) He is not able to do it.
(b) He will think about it.
(c) He will not do it.
(d) He will be glad to do it.
2. What does Gilbert do after he runs away from home?
(a) He runs to Canada to hide out.
(b) He goes to Mississippi and becomes a wealthy cotton baron.
(c) He goes to California and starts a winery.
(d) He becomes a decorated Civil War general.
3. What does Jack Burden carry with him?
(a) A whiskey flask
(b) A pencil and paper
(c) A press pass
(d) A tape recorder
4. What happens when Jack visits his father in his small apartment now?
(a) Jack takes his father to minor league baseball games.
(b) Jack rejects his religious obsessions and his father says he will pray for Jack's soul.
(c) Jack takes food so his father will remember to eat.
(d) Jack takes his father to dinner and a movie.
5. How is Dolph Pillsbury connected to the troubles with the brick kiln?
(a) Pillsbury's brother-in-law owns the kiln and Pillsbury is suspected of getting kickbacks on the school job.
(b) Pillsbury is a major investor in the kiln business.
(c) Pillsbury used to do the accounting for the kiln company.
(d) Pillsbury used to make bricks for the kiln company.
6. How does Willie enter politics again?
(a) He stumps for a congressional candidate who is running against the candidate who is a friend of Dolph Pillsbury's.
(b) Willie runs for mayor during the next election.
(c) Willie is appointed to his old position of county treasurer.
(d) Willie is elected to the school board.
7. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
(a) Because he confronts Willie directly.
(b) Because the woman storms into his office demanding to know about rumors of Willie seeing other women.
(c) Because Willie sends Jack to buy the woman a piece of jewelry.
(d) Because he has seen the woman coming out of Willie's hotel room one morning.
8. Why will Tiny Duffy not help Willie improve his dreadful campaign speeches?
(a) Tiny is busy organizing Willie's travel itinerary.
(b) Tiny has never held a management position before.
(c) Tiny does not have any speechwriting experience.
(d) Duffy is employed by the Harrison faction and they do not expect Willie to win, simply dilute the MacMurfee votes.
9. What surprising twist occurs at Willie's next speech?
(a) Willie resigns because he gets some bad medical news.
(b) Willie resigns before he is blackmailed.
(c) Willie resigns because his wife cannot withstand the rigors of the campaign.
(d) Willie tells the crowd about how he has been duped and he is resigning in order to support MacMurfee.
10. To what year does the story flash back?
11. What does Willie do after he loses the election?
(a) He becomes a school teacher.
(b) He works his farm and studies law.
(c) He gets a job at the state finance department.
(d) He takes a much-deserved extended vacation.
12. Why do people come to hear Willie speak?
(a) Because they're interested in anyone who opposes Pillsbury's friend.
(b) Because Willie offers free refreshments at his speeches.
(c) Because they want to hear everything they can about all the candidates.
(d) Because Willie gives prizes to anyone bringing children to the speeches.
13. Who is Willie Stark's wife?
14. In what year does the story begin?
15. Who steps in and offers blackmail as a tool to help White?
(a) Tiny Duffy
(b) Governor Stark
(c) Judge Irwin
(d) Former Governor Stanton
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recommended the school for Cass?
2. Who are Willie and his entourage visiting at a farm?
3. With whom did Adam and Anne Stanton live as children?
4. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
5. How can Willie be confident in his position?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)