|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Willie enter politics again?
(a) Willie runs for mayor during the next election.
(b) Willie is elected to the school board.
(c) He stumps for a congressional candidate who is running against the candidate who is a friend of Dolph Pillsbury's.
(d) Willie is appointed to his old position of county treasurer.
2. What is Willie's wife's profession?
(b) School teacher
(c) Court reporter
3. What literary technique does the author use to take the story back in time again?
(a) Plot in reverse
(c) Reverse plot
(d) Plot timeline
4. What does the answer to #45 reveal to Willie?
(a) That she has been attending all of Willie's speeches.
(b) That Willie will be a wonderful governor.
(c) That Willie has been used by the Hamiltons in the campaign.
(d) That she is very attracted to Willie.
5. What does Jack think he can find to blackmail Judge Irwin?
(a) He knows that the Judge has money in Cayman banks.
(b) He does not think he can find anything.
(c) He knows the dirt about the Judge's divorce.
(d) He knows that the Judge has an illegitimate child.
6. Who befriends Willie to keep an eye on his campaign for the Harrison faction?
(a) Mrs. Pillsbury
(b) Sadie Burke
(c) Anne Stanton
(d) Lucille MacMurfee
7. What does Cass learn from Gilbert?
(a) How to speak French
(b) How to order wine in a restaurant
(c) How to ride a horse
(d) How to manage a plantation
8. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
(a) Baton Rouge
(c) Mason City
9. Why does Willie lose when he runs for reelection?
(a) He runs against the mayor's very popular son.
(b) He does not have enough money to print campaign posters.
(c) The city commissioners start a rumor that the contractor Willie wanted, Jeffers, hired Negro workers.
(d) He does not have a good record on administering city tax dollars.
10. In what year does the story begin?
11. Of what has White been accused?
(a) Cheating on his taxes
(b) Having an affair with a congressman's wife
(c) Making a deal with the Tax Lands Bureau for a kickback
(d) Propositioning one of the pages at the state house
12. Cass and his brother, Gilbert, and sister, Lavinia, were born in poverty in what state?
13. Who were Jack's childhood friends?
(a) Adam and Anne Stanton
(b) Sadie and Marie Burke
(c) Tiny Duffy and Sugar Boy
(d) Willie and Teddy Stark
14. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
(a) They are conventional.
(b) They are innovative.
(c) They are rousing.
(d) They are not good.
15. Why does Jack attend the state university instead of abiding by his mother's wishes and going to Harvard or Princeton?
(a) Jack does not think he would adapt well to a northern school.
(b) Jack does not want to move that far away from home.
(c) Jack thinks his mother still needs his help occasionally.
(d) Jack wants to put himself through college and the state school is less expensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what subject did Jack pursue his Ph.D. at the university?
2. How can Willie be confident in his position?
3. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
4. What happens during the next election for governor?
5. What was Willie Stark's job when Jack Burden first meets him?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)