|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what has White been accused?
(a) Making a deal with the Tax Lands Bureau for a kickback
(b) Cheating on his taxes
(c) Propositioning one of the pages at the state house
(d) Having an affair with a congressman's wife
2. How is Dolph Pillsbury connected to the troubles with the brick kiln?
(a) Pillsbury used to make bricks for the kiln company.
(b) Pillsbury used to do the accounting for the kiln company.
(c) Pillsbury's brother-in-law owns the kiln and Pillsbury is suspected of getting kickbacks on the school job.
(d) Pillsbury is a major investor in the kiln business.
3. What was included in Cass' papers?
(a) Photos, letters, a journal and account books
(b) Old bank drafts
(c) Sketches and a diary
(d) Love letters
4. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
5. With whom has Willie been having an affair?
(a) Mary Harrison
(b) Sadie Burke
(c) Anne Stanton
(d) Lucille Burden
6. What does Willie tell Jack that he is going to build?
(a) A new civic center
(b) A monument in his likeness
(c) A free hospital and health center
(d) A new state courthouse
7. Why does Annabelle sell Phebe, her waiting maid?
(a) Because Phebe had set fire to the bedroom drapes with a candle.
(b) Because she saw Annabelle shoot her husband.
(c) Because Annabelle wants a younger maid in the house.
(d) Because Phebe knows about Annabelle's husband's ring on Cass' finger.
8. Which political faction covertly backs Willie's campaign?
(a) The MacMurfee faction
(b) The Irwin faction
(c) The Harrison faction
(d) The Stanton faction
9. What happens during a fire drill at the school two years after it is constructed?
(a) The brickwork collapses causing the deaths of three children and serious injury to a dozen more.
(b) The students and teachers are locked in the building.
(c) The fire drill is actually a real fire and most of the children are overcome with smoke.
(d) Someone pulls the fire alarm as a prank and is suspended for three weeks.
10. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
(a) Baton Rouge
(b) Mason City
11. How can Willie be confident in his position?
(a) He has helped the people in the state more than anyone else who has ever held the office.
(b) He knows how to campaign better than anyone in the state.
(c) He can blackmail anyone he needs to in order to secure his position.
(d) He has the loyalty of the people all over the state.
12. What does Willie tell White after White accuses Willie of impunity?
(a) That White would make a good county prosecutor.
(b) That White should take some time off.
(c) White has watched the rich get richer and the poor get poorer for 15 years.
(d) That White should never have entered public office.
13. Who is the woman who works for Willie?
(a) Sadie Burke
(b) Anne Stanton
(c) Lucille Burke
(d) Marie Stanton
14. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
(a) They play cards.
(b) They go hunting.
(c) They listen to the radio.
(d) They eat dinner.
15. Why does Willie lose when he runs for reelection?
(a) He runs against the mayor's very popular son.
(b) He does not have enough money to print campaign posters.
(c) The city commissioners start a rumor that the contractor Willie wanted, Jeffers, hired Negro workers.
(d) He does not have a good record on administering city tax dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie's wife's profession?
2. What happens when Willie runs for the governorship in 1930?
3. How did Cass die?
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
5. Who recommended the school for Cass?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)