|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack come in contact with Cass Mastern?
(a) Cass places an ad for an apartment for rent.
(b) Cass' grandson contacts Jack to determine if Cass' papers have any financial worth.
(c) Cass was a highly-honored Civil War general.
(d) Cass offers dissertation services to grad students.
2. With whom has Willie been having an affair?
(a) Lucille Burden
(b) Mary Harrison
(c) Sadie Burke
(d) Anne Stanton
3. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
(a) Tiny Duffy
(b) Jack Burden
(c) Judge Irwin
(d) Sugar Boy
4. Why does Willie lose when he runs for reelection?
(a) The city commissioners start a rumor that the contractor Willie wanted, Jeffers, hired Negro workers.
(b) He does not have enough money to print campaign posters.
(c) He does not have a good record on administering city tax dollars.
(d) He runs against the mayor's very popular son.
5. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
(a) The fire at the Mason City Elementary School
(b) The politics involved in a construction contract award
(c) The Mason City Fourth of July Celebration
(d) The Mason City Labor Day Beauty Pageant
6. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
(c) Mason City
(d) Baton Rouge
7. What does Willie tell Jack to do?
(a) Find something to blackmail Judge Irwin
(b) Find his own way back to town
(c) Make sure Willie is front page news tomorrow
(d) Find a way to influence the judge
8. Who is Willie Stark's wife?
9. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
10. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
(a) 130 miles
(b) 30 miles
(c) 33 miles
(d) 100 miles
11. What does Annabelle do when she sees Cass after her husband's death?
(a) She puts her husband's wedding ring on Cass.
(b) She throws herself at Cass in grief.
(c) She tells Cass to leave.
(d) She faints.
12. Who recommended the school for Cass?
(a) Abraham Lincoln
(b) Ulysses S. Grant
(c) Jefferson Davis
(d) Robert E. Lee
13. What does Willie tell Jack that he is going to build?
(a) A monument in his likeness
(b) A new state courthouse
(c) A new civic center
(d) A free hospital and health center
14. How does Willie benefit from what happens at the school fire drill?
(a) Willie gets to hire a new architect who is a friend of his.
(b) The people realize the corruption related to the brick quality and they should have voted for Willie.
(c) Willie is asked to work as a consultant on the rebuilding of the school.
(d) Willie gets reelected on a special emergency vote.
15. How does Willie enter politics again?
(a) He stumps for a congressional candidate who is running against the candidate who is a friend of Dolph Pillsbury's.
(b) Willie is appointed to his old position of county treasurer.
(c) Willie runs for mayor during the next election.
(d) Willie is elected to the school board.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary technique does the author use to take the story back in time again?
2. Who were Jack's childhood friends?
3. What happens during the next election for governor?
4. What does Willie tell White after White accuses Willie of impunity?
5. How did Tiny Duffy get his name?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)