|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cass and his brother, Gilbert, and sister, Lavinia, were born in poverty in what state?
2. Of what has White been accused?
(a) Making a deal with the Tax Lands Bureau for a kickback
(b) Having an affair with a congressman's wife
(c) Propositioning one of the pages at the state house
(d) Cheating on his taxes
3. How is Dolph Pillsbury connected to the troubles with the brick kiln?
(a) Pillsbury is a major investor in the kiln business.
(b) Pillsbury used to do the accounting for the kiln company.
(c) Pillsbury's brother-in-law owns the kiln and Pillsbury is suspected of getting kickbacks on the school job.
(d) Pillsbury used to make bricks for the kiln company.
4. What does Jack think he can find to blackmail Judge Irwin?
(a) He does not think he can find anything.
(b) He knows that the Judge has money in Cayman banks.
(c) He knows that the Judge has an illegitimate child.
(d) He knows the dirt about the Judge's divorce.
5. What does Cass do with his own slaves?
(a) Threatens them with mutilation if they try to run away
(b) Increases the whippings
(c) Frees them and sends them to school
(d) Frees them and hires them
6. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
(a) They go hunting.
(b) They eat dinner.
(c) They listen to the radio.
(d) They play cards.
7. Who recommended the school for Cass?
(a) Abraham Lincoln
(b) Ulysses S. Grant
(c) Robert E. Lee
(d) Jefferson Davis
8. What happens to Annabelle's husband, Duncan Trice?
(a) He is shot accidentally while cleaning his pistols.
(b) He commits suicide.
(c) He is thrown from his horse.
(d) He is shot in a bar fight.
9. What kinds of stories are surfacing at the newspaper office, The Chronicle?
(a) Stories about corruption in county courthouses
(b) Stories about segregation
(c) Stories about prohibition
(d) Stories about environmental issues
10. Who steps in and offers blackmail as a tool to help White?
(a) Tiny Duffy
(b) Judge Irwin
(c) Governor Stark
(d) Former Governor Stanton
11. Why will Tiny Duffy not help Willie improve his dreadful campaign speeches?
(a) Tiny is busy organizing Willie's travel itinerary.
(b) Tiny does not have any speechwriting experience.
(c) Duffy is employed by the Harrison faction and they do not expect Willie to win, simply dilute the MacMurfee votes.
(d) Tiny has never held a management position before.
12. Which political faction covertly backs Willie's campaign?
(a) The Stanton faction
(b) The MacMurfee faction
(c) The Harrison faction
(d) The Irwin faction
13. What is the situation regarding a brick kiln and the bricks Moore would use on the awarded job?
(a) The brick kiln cannot produce the correct color of bricks for the school.
(b) The kiln is located in another state and there are tax issues.
(c) There had been a lawsuit about the inferior quality of the bricks.
(d) The brick kiln cannot produce the amount of bricks needed to meet the deadline.
14. To what year does the story flash back?
15. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) Jack Burden
(b) Adam Stanton
(c) Anne Stanton
(d) Willie Stark
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annabelle sell Phebe, her waiting maid?
2. What two major political factions run the state?
3. What happens during the next election for governor?
4. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
5. Why does the Attorney General, Hugh Miller resign his position?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)