|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two major political factions run the state?
(a) The Stark faction and the Burden faction
(b) The Irwin faction and the Stanton faction
(c) The Harrison faction and the MacMurfee faction
(d) The Burke faction and the Stark faction
2. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
(a) 130 miles
(b) 33 miles
(c) 30 miles
(d) 100 miles
3. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
(a) Judge Irwin
(b) Tiny Duffy
(c) Sugar Boy
(d) Jack Burden
4. What does Willie do after he loses the election?
(a) He works his farm and studies law.
(b) He becomes a school teacher.
(c) He takes a much-deserved extended vacation.
(d) He gets a job at the state finance department.
5. Gilbert sends Lavinia to an expensive school in Atlanta and _____________________________.
(a) Takes Cass with him
(b) Sends Cass to West Point Academy
(c) Gets Cass a job in a bank
(d) Sends for her at the holidays
6. How is Dolph Pillsbury connected to the troubles with the brick kiln?
(a) Pillsbury used to do the accounting for the kiln company.
(b) Pillsbury is a major investor in the kiln business.
(c) Pillsbury used to make bricks for the kiln company.
(d) Pillsbury's brother-in-law owns the kiln and Pillsbury is suspected of getting kickbacks on the school job.
7. What does Cass learn from Gilbert?
(a) How to ride a horse
(b) How to manage a plantation
(c) How to order wine in a restaurant
(d) How to speak French
8. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
(a) The fire at the Mason City Elementary School
(b) The Mason City Labor Day Beauty Pageant
(c) The Mason City Fourth of July Celebration
(d) The politics involved in a construction contract award
9. Who befriends Willie to keep an eye on his campaign for the Harrison faction?
(a) Mrs. Pillsbury
(b) Anne Stanton
(c) Sadie Burke
(d) Lucille MacMurfee
10. What kinds of stories are surfacing at the newspaper office, The Chronicle?
(a) Stories about corruption in county courthouses
(b) Stories about prohibition
(c) Stories about environmental issues
(d) Stories about segregation
11. Who recommended the school for Cass?
(a) Ulysses S. Grant
(b) Abraham Lincoln
(c) Jefferson Davis
(d) Robert E. Lee
12. What happens during a fire drill at the school two years after it is constructed?
(a) The students and teachers are locked in the building.
(b) Someone pulls the fire alarm as a prank and is suspended for three weeks.
(c) The fire drill is actually a real fire and most of the children are overcome with smoke.
(d) The brickwork collapses causing the deaths of three children and serious injury to a dozen more.
13. What happens to Willie's career in April of 1933?
(a) Willie receives the national endorsement to campaign for president.
(b) Willie has to step down for health reasons.
(c) There are impeachment proceeding initiated because of the White case.
(d) The news of Willie's affairs threatens his career.
14. What happens during the next election for governor?
(a) Willie runs but does not accept the position.
(b) Willie is elected.
(c) Willie declines to run.
(d) Will is soundly defeated.
15. Who were Jack's childhood friends?
(a) Tiny Duffy and Sugar Boy
(b) Sadie and Marie Burke
(c) Willie and Teddy Stark
(d) Adam and Anne Stanton
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilbert do after he runs away from home?
2. How can Willie be confident in his position?
3. What happens when Willie runs for the governorship in 1930?
4. Cass and his brother, Gilbert, and sister, Lavinia, were born in poverty in what state?
5. When Jack returns to his office, he finds that ______________________________ have been begun for State Auditor, Byram B. White.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)