|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During dinner at the judge's home one night in 1933, what topic comes up as part of the conversation?
(a) The coming war in Europe
(b) Jack's school days
(c) Jack's old girlfriends
(d) Jack's job in politics and the influence he holds
2. What two major political factions run the state?
(a) The Burke faction and the Stark faction
(b) The Irwin faction and the Stanton faction
(c) The Stark faction and the Burden faction
(d) The Harrison faction and the MacMurfee faction
3. What does Willie want for his son, Tom?
(a) He wants him to marry a nice girl and settle down in Mason City.
(b) He wants him to go to Harvard or Yale and become a lawyer.
(c) He wants him to become a professional baseball player.
(d) He wants him to be a part of all the excitement of Willie's administration.
4. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
(a) Mason City
(c) Baton Rouge
5. How does Willie enter politics again?
(a) Willie is appointed to his old position of county treasurer.
(b) He stumps for a congressional candidate who is running against the candidate who is a friend of Dolph Pillsbury's.
(c) Willie runs for mayor during the next election.
(d) Willie is elected to the school board.
6. What does Cass do with his own slaves?
(a) Frees them and sends them to school
(b) Frees them and hires them
(c) Increases the whippings
(d) Threatens them with mutilation if they try to run away
7. What was Willie Stark's job when Jack Burden first meets him?
(a) Court Reporter
(b) County Prosecutor
(c) County Treasurer
(d) Assistant District Attorney
8. What does Annabelle do when she sees Cass after her husband's death?
(a) She faints.
(b) She tells Cass to leave.
(c) She puts her husband's wedding ring on Cass.
(d) She throws herself at Cass in grief.
9. How did Tiny Duffy get his name?
(a) He has a tiny head.
(b) He is a large, overweight man.
(c) He has a small intellect.
(d) He is a short, slim man.
10. With whom has Willie been having an affair?
(a) Mary Harrison
(b) Anne Stanton
(c) Lucille Burden
(d) Sadie Burke
11. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
(a) Because Willie sends Jack to buy the woman a piece of jewelry.
(b) Because he has seen the woman coming out of Willie's hotel room one morning.
(c) Because the woman storms into his office demanding to know about rumors of Willie seeing other women.
(d) Because he confronts Willie directly.
12. How does Judge Irwin react when a dinner guest berates Governor Stark's programs?
(a) He changes the subject.
(b) He agrees with his guest.
(c) He lets the arguments escalate.
(d) He defends them as necessary in a changing world.
13. What do Jack and Judge Irwin make while Jack is growing up?
(a) Models of ancient weapons
(c) Model airplanes
(d) Ships in bottles
14. What does Willie tell White after White accuses Willie of impunity?
(a) White has watched the rich get richer and the poor get poorer for 15 years.
(b) That White should take some time off.
(c) That White should never have entered public office.
(d) That White would make a good county prosecutor.
15. What happens during a fire drill at the school two years after it is constructed?
(a) Someone pulls the fire alarm as a prank and is suspended for three weeks.
(b) The students and teachers are locked in the building.
(c) The brickwork collapses causing the deaths of three children and serious injury to a dozen more.
(d) The fire drill is actually a real fire and most of the children are overcome with smoke.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the city commissioners want to get the contract?
2. What does Willie tell Jack to do?
3. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
4. Willie Stark is known as ______________.
5. Who is the narrator of the story?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)