|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annabelle do when she sees Cass after her husband's death?
(a) She throws herself at Cass in grief.
(b) She puts her husband's wedding ring on Cass.
(c) She faints.
(d) She tells Cass to leave.
2. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
(a) To Biloxi
(b) To Memphis
(c) To Baton Rouge
(d) To Willie's farm in Mason City
3. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
4. During this time, Willie and Lucy have a son named __________.
5. How did Tiny Duffy get his name?
(a) He has a small intellect.
(b) He is a short, slim man.
(c) He is a large, overweight man.
(d) He has a tiny head.
6. Why does Jack attend the state university instead of abiding by his mother's wishes and going to Harvard or Princeton?
(a) Jack thinks his mother still needs his help occasionally.
(b) Jack does not think he would adapt well to a northern school.
(c) Jack wants to put himself through college and the state school is less expensive.
(d) Jack does not want to move that far away from home.
7. What happens during a fire drill at the school two years after it is constructed?
(a) The brickwork collapses causing the deaths of three children and serious injury to a dozen more.
(b) The fire drill is actually a real fire and most of the children are overcome with smoke.
(c) Someone pulls the fire alarm as a prank and is suspended for three weeks.
(d) The students and teachers are locked in the building.
8. What does Gilbert do after he runs away from home?
(a) He goes to Mississippi and becomes a wealthy cotton baron.
(b) He runs to Canada to hide out.
(c) He goes to California and starts a winery.
(d) He becomes a decorated Civil War general.
9. What does Willie order when everyone else orders beer?
(a) Orange pop
(d) Sweet tea
10. How is Dolph Pillsbury connected to the troubles with the brick kiln?
(a) Pillsbury is a major investor in the kiln business.
(b) Pillsbury used to do the accounting for the kiln company.
(c) Pillsbury used to make bricks for the kiln company.
(d) Pillsbury's brother-in-law owns the kiln and Pillsbury is suspected of getting kickbacks on the school job.
11. Who is Cass Mastern?
(a) Jack's favorite history professor
(b) Jack's high school football coach
(c) Jack's landlord during college
(d) The topic of Jack's dissertation for the Ph.D. in History
12. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
(a) Because he has seen the woman coming out of Willie's hotel room one morning.
(b) Because he confronts Willie directly.
(c) Because Willie sends Jack to buy the woman a piece of jewelry.
(d) Because the woman storms into his office demanding to know about rumors of Willie seeing other women.
13. Cass and his brother, Gilbert, and sister, Lavinia, were born in poverty in what state?
14. How did Cass die?
(a) In a military hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1864
(b) From cancer
(c) In the Battle of Gettysburg
(d) Of old age
15. What is the situation regarding a brick kiln and the bricks Moore would use on the awarded job?
(a) The brick kiln cannot produce the amount of bricks needed to meet the deadline.
(b) The brick kiln cannot produce the correct color of bricks for the school.
(c) The kiln is located in another state and there are tax issues.
(d) There had been a lawsuit about the inferior quality of the bricks.
Short Answer Questions
1. During dinner at the judge's home one night in 1933, what topic comes up as part of the conversation?
2. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
3. In what year does Willie first run for governor?
4. Who takes over as Jack's father after Jack's father leaves?
5. Who were Jack's childhood friends?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)