|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
(a) They play cards.
(b) They go hunting.
(c) They eat dinner.
(d) They listen to the radio.
2. What happens during a fire drill at the school two years after it is constructed?
(a) The students and teachers are locked in the building.
(b) The fire drill is actually a real fire and most of the children are overcome with smoke.
(c) The brickwork collapses causing the deaths of three children and serious injury to a dozen more.
(d) Someone pulls the fire alarm as a prank and is suspended for three weeks.
3. Cass and his brother, Gilbert, and sister, Lavinia, were born in poverty in what state?
4. What is the topic of Jack's dissertation?
(a) The Fourth Estate
(b) The Civil War
(c) His father's maternal uncle
(d) World War I
5. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
(a) They are conventional.
(b) They are innovative.
(c) They are not good.
(d) They are rousing.
6. Who befriends Willie to keep an eye on his campaign for the Harrison faction?
(a) Lucille MacMurfee
(b) Anne Stanton
(c) Mrs. Pillsbury
(d) Sadie Burke
7. Which political faction covertly backs Willie's campaign?
(a) The MacMurfee faction
(b) The Harrison faction
(c) The Irwin faction
(d) The Stanton faction
8. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
9. In what subject did Jack pursue his Ph.D. at the university?
10. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
(a) Because Willie sends Jack to buy the woman a piece of jewelry.
(b) Because the woman storms into his office demanding to know about rumors of Willie seeing other women.
(c) Because he confronts Willie directly.
(d) Because he has seen the woman coming out of Willie's hotel room one morning.
11. In what year does Willie first run for governor?
12. What does Jack Burden carry with him?
(a) A pencil and paper
(b) A tape recorder
(c) A press pass
(d) A whiskey flask
13. When Jack returns to his office, he finds that ______________________________ have been begun for State Auditor, Byram B. White.
(a) Reelection plans
(b) Anniversary plans
(c) Impeachment proceedings
(d) Birthday celebration
14. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
(a) Mason City
(c) Baton Rouge
15. Who does not approve of Jack working for Willie?
(a) Judge Irwin
(b) Jack's mother, Mrs. Burden
(c) Tiny Duffy
(d) Anne Stanton
Short Answer Questions
1. During dinner at the judge's home one night in 1933, what topic comes up as part of the conversation?
2. What does Willie order when everyone else orders beer?
3. To what college does Gilbert send Cass?
4. What literary technique does the author use to take the story back in time again?
5. Why is Willie's wife, Lucy, leaving Willie?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)