|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
(a) They are innovative.
(b) They are rousing.
(c) They are conventional.
(d) They are not good.
2. Willie Stark is known as ______________.
(b) The Big Guy
(c) The Boss
(d) The Man
3. Who is the woman who works for Willie?
(a) Marie Stanton
(b) Lucille Burke
(c) Sadie Burke
(d) Anne Stanton
4. When Jack returns to his office, he finds that ______________________________ have been begun for State Auditor, Byram B. White.
(a) Anniversary plans
(b) Impeachment proceedings
(c) Birthday celebration
(d) Reelection plans
5. What happens during a fire drill at the school two years after it is constructed?
(a) Someone pulls the fire alarm as a prank and is suspended for three weeks.
(b) The students and teachers are locked in the building.
(c) The fire drill is actually a real fire and most of the children are overcome with smoke.
(d) The brickwork collapses causing the deaths of three children and serious injury to a dozen more.
6. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
(a) 100 miles
(b) 30 miles
(c) 130 miles
(d) 33 miles
7. Why does Annabelle sell Phebe, her waiting maid?
(a) Because Phebe had set fire to the bedroom drapes with a candle.
(b) Because Annabelle wants a younger maid in the house.
(c) Because Phebe knows about Annabelle's husband's ring on Cass' finger.
(d) Because she saw Annabelle shoot her husband.
8. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
(a) They play cards.
(b) They listen to the radio.
(c) They eat dinner.
(d) They go hunting.
9. What happens when Willie runs for the governorship in 1930?
(a) Willie is defeated by the MacMurfee faction.
(b) Willie wins.
(c) Willie wins but does not accept the office.
(d) Willie is defeated by the Harrison faction.
10. Who do the city commissioners want to get the contract?
(a) Dolph Pillsbury
(b) Jeffers Construction Company
(c) J.H. Moore
(d) Burke's Brick & Tile Company
11. Gilbert sends Lavinia to an expensive school in Atlanta and _____________________________.
(a) Sends Cass to West Point Academy
(b) Takes Cass with him
(c) Gets Cass a job in a bank
(d) Sends for her at the holidays
12. Why does Willie lose when he runs for reelection?
(a) He runs against the mayor's very popular son.
(b) He does not have enough money to print campaign posters.
(c) The city commissioners start a rumor that the contractor Willie wanted, Jeffers, hired Negro workers.
(d) He does not have a good record on administering city tax dollars.
13. Why will Tiny Duffy not help Willie improve his dreadful campaign speeches?
(a) Duffy is employed by the Harrison faction and they do not expect Willie to win, simply dilute the MacMurfee votes.
(b) Tiny does not have any speechwriting experience.
(c) Tiny has never held a management position before.
(d) Tiny is busy organizing Willie's travel itinerary.
14. What two major political factions run the state?
(a) The Irwin faction and the Stanton faction
(b) The Burke faction and the Stark faction
(c) The Harrison faction and the MacMurfee faction
(d) The Stark faction and the Burden faction
15. What does Annabelle do when she sees Cass after her husband's death?
(a) She faints.
(b) She throws herself at Cass in grief.
(c) She tells Cass to leave.
(d) She puts her husband's wedding ring on Cass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack think he can find to blackmail Judge Irwin?
2. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
3. What does Willie want of Judge Irwin?
4. Why does Jack attend the state university instead of abiding by his mother's wishes and going to Harvard or Princeton?
5. To what year does the story flash back?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)