|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie tell Jack that he is going to build?
(a) A free hospital and health center
(b) A new state courthouse
(c) A monument in his likeness
(d) A new civic center
2. What does the answer to #45 reveal to Willie?
(a) That Willie will be a wonderful governor.
(b) That she is very attracted to Willie.
(c) That Willie has been used by the Hamiltons in the campaign.
(d) That she has been attending all of Willie's speeches.
3. Who were Jack's childhood friends?
(a) Willie and Teddy Stark
(b) Sadie and Marie Burke
(c) Adam and Anne Stanton
(d) Tiny Duffy and Sugar Boy
4. How does Jack come in contact with Cass Mastern?
(a) Cass was a highly-honored Civil War general.
(b) Cass places an ad for an apartment for rent.
(c) Cass' grandson contacts Jack to determine if Cass' papers have any financial worth.
(d) Cass offers dissertation services to grad students.
5. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
(a) Because he confronts Willie directly.
(b) Because Willie sends Jack to buy the woman a piece of jewelry.
(c) Because he has seen the woman coming out of Willie's hotel room one morning.
(d) Because the woman storms into his office demanding to know about rumors of Willie seeing other women.
6. Who steps in and offers blackmail as a tool to help White?
(a) Judge Irwin
(b) Governor Stark
(c) Former Governor Stanton
(d) Tiny Duffy
7. What does Willie want of Judge Irwin?
(a) He wants the judge to support a man Willie has chosen for a senate nomination.
(b) He wants the judge to endorse him in the next election.
(c) He wants the judge to campaign for him in the next election.
(d) He wants the judge to contribute to his campaign funds.
8. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
(a) Sugar Boy
(b) Judge Irwin
(c) Tiny Duffy
(d) Jack Burden
9. What kinds of stories are surfacing at the newspaper office, The Chronicle?
(a) Stories about environmental issues
(b) Stories about prohibition
(c) Stories about corruption in county courthouses
(d) Stories about segregation
10. Who befriends Willie to keep an eye on his campaign for the Harrison faction?
(a) Sadie Burke
(b) Mrs. Pillsbury
(c) Anne Stanton
(d) Lucille MacMurfee
11. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
12. Who do the city commissioners want to get the contract?
(a) Dolph Pillsbury
(b) Jeffers Construction Company
(c) J.H. Moore
(d) Burke's Brick & Tile Company
13. Why does Willie lose when he runs for reelection?
(a) He does not have enough money to print campaign posters.
(b) The city commissioners start a rumor that the contractor Willie wanted, Jeffers, hired Negro workers.
(c) He runs against the mayor's very popular son.
(d) He does not have a good record on administering city tax dollars.
14. What was Willie Stark's job when Jack Burden first meets him?
(a) County Treasurer
(b) Assistant District Attorney
(c) County Prosecutor
(d) Court Reporter
15. Who does not approve of Jack working for Willie?
(a) Anne Stanton
(b) Tiny Duffy
(c) Jack's mother, Mrs. Burden
(d) Judge Irwin
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilbert do after he runs away from home?
2. How did Cass die?
3. What happens to Annabelle's husband, Duncan Trice?
4. To what college does Gilbert send Cass?
5. Gilbert sends Lavinia to an expensive school in Atlanta and _____________________________.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)