|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the story begin?
2. Willie Stark is known as ______________.
(a) The Man
(b) The Boss
(c) The Big Guy
3. What happens during a fire drill at the school two years after it is constructed?
(a) Someone pulls the fire alarm as a prank and is suspended for three weeks.
(b) The students and teachers are locked in the building.
(c) The fire drill is actually a real fire and most of the children are overcome with smoke.
(d) The brickwork collapses causing the deaths of three children and serious injury to a dozen more.
4. Who steps in and offers blackmail as a tool to help White?
(a) Governor Stark
(b) Tiny Duffy
(c) Judge Irwin
(d) Former Governor Stanton
5. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
(a) They go hunting.
(b) They play cards.
(c) They eat dinner.
(d) They listen to the radio.
6. What does Willie order when everyone else orders beer?
(b) Sweet tea
(d) Orange pop
7. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
(a) Because he has seen the woman coming out of Willie's hotel room one morning.
(b) Because Willie sends Jack to buy the woman a piece of jewelry.
(c) Because he confronts Willie directly.
(d) Because the woman storms into his office demanding to know about rumors of Willie seeing other women.
8. What does Annabelle do when she sees Cass after her husband's death?
(a) She faints.
(b) She throws herself at Cass in grief.
(c) She puts her husband's wedding ring on Cass.
(d) She tells Cass to leave.
9. What does Cass learn from Gilbert?
(a) How to speak French
(b) How to ride a horse
(c) How to manage a plantation
(d) How to order wine in a restaurant
10. Why does the Attorney General, Hugh Miller resign his position?
(a) His wife has a terminal illness.
(b) He can no longer keep the travel schedule necessary for the job.
(c) He objects to the help given to White.
(d) He has been diagonosed with a terminal illness.
11. Who takes over as Jack's father after Jack's father leaves?
(a) Mr. Stark
(b) Grandfather Burden
(c) Judge Irwin
(d) Governor Stanton
12. Cass and his brother, Gilbert, and sister, Lavinia, were born in poverty in what state?
13. When Jack returns to his office, he finds that ______________________________ have been begun for State Auditor, Byram B. White.
(a) Impeachment proceedings
(b) Anniversary plans
(c) Birthday celebration
(d) Reelection plans
14. To what college does Gilbert send Cass?
(a) Yale University in Connecticut
(b) Harvard University in Massachusetts
(c) Transylvania University in Kentucky
(d) Princeton University in New Jersey
15. What was Willie Stark's job when Jack Burden first meets him?
(a) Court Reporter
(b) County Treasurer
(c) County Prosecutor
(d) Assistant District Attorney
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom has Willie been having an affair?
2. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
3. Who is the narrator of the story?
4. What happens when Willie runs for the governorship in 1930?
5. To what year does the story flash back?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)