|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie want for his son, Tom?
(a) He wants him to become a professional baseball player.
(b) He wants him to be a part of all the excitement of Willie's administration.
(c) He wants him to go to Harvard or Yale and become a lawyer.
(d) He wants him to marry a nice girl and settle down in Mason City.
2. What does Willie order when everyone else orders beer?
(a) Sweet tea
(d) Orange pop
3. Who is the woman who works for Willie?
(a) Lucille Burke
(b) Marie Stanton
(c) Sadie Burke
(d) Anne Stanton
4. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
(a) They listen to the radio.
(b) They go hunting.
(c) They eat dinner.
(d) They play cards.
5. What two major political factions run the state?
(a) The Harrison faction and the MacMurfee faction
(b) The Stark faction and the Burden faction
(c) The Burke faction and the Stark faction
(d) The Irwin faction and the Stanton faction
6. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
(a) Sugar Boy
(b) Judge Irwin
(c) Jack Burden
(d) Tiny Duffy
7. How did Tiny Duffy get his name?
(a) He has a tiny head.
(b) He is a short, slim man.
(c) He is a large, overweight man.
(d) He has a small intellect.
8. Cass and his brother, Gilbert, and sister, Lavinia, were born in poverty in what state?
9. What does Willie tell Jack that he is going to build?
(a) A monument in his likeness
(b) A free hospital and health center
(c) A new civic center
(d) A new state courthouse
10. What does Annabelle do when she sees Cass after her husband's death?
(a) She tells Cass to leave.
(b) She puts her husband's wedding ring on Cass.
(c) She faints.
(d) She throws herself at Cass in grief.
11. How does Jack come in contact with Cass Mastern?
(a) Cass offers dissertation services to grad students.
(b) Cass was a highly-honored Civil War general.
(c) Cass places an ad for an apartment for rent.
(d) Cass' grandson contacts Jack to determine if Cass' papers have any financial worth.
12. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) Jack Burden
(b) Adam Stanton
(c) Anne Stanton
(d) Willie Stark
13. How does Willie benefit from what happens at the school fire drill?
(a) Willie is asked to work as a consultant on the rebuilding of the school.
(b) Willie gets to hire a new architect who is a friend of his.
(c) Willie gets reelected on a special emergency vote.
(d) The people realize the corruption related to the brick quality and they should have voted for Willie.
14. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
(a) They are rousing.
(b) They are conventional.
(c) They are not good.
(d) They are innovative.
15. What is Judge Irwin's response to Willie's request?
(a) He will be glad to do it.
(b) He is not able to do it.
(c) He will think about it.
(d) He will not do it.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what topic does Willie complain to Jack about Lucy?
2. What was Willie Stark's job when Jack Burden first meets him?
3. Which political faction covertly backs Willie's campaign?
4. What was included in Cass' papers?
5. How does Judge Irwin react when a dinner guest berates Governor Stark's programs?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)