|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
(a) Because he has seen the woman coming out of Willie's hotel room one morning.
(b) Because Willie sends Jack to buy the woman a piece of jewelry.
(c) Because he confronts Willie directly.
(d) Because the woman storms into his office demanding to know about rumors of Willie seeing other women.
2. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
3. Who is Cass Mastern?
(a) The topic of Jack's dissertation for the Ph.D. in History
(b) Jack's favorite history professor
(c) Jack's high school football coach
(d) Jack's landlord during college
4. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
(a) 100 miles
(b) 33 miles
(c) 130 miles
(d) 30 miles
5. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
(a) Baton Rouge
(b) Mason City
6. What does Gilbert do after he runs away from home?
(a) He goes to Mississippi and becomes a wealthy cotton baron.
(b) He goes to California and starts a winery.
(c) He becomes a decorated Civil War general.
(d) He runs to Canada to hide out.
7. In a flashback, what does the author reveal about Jack's father?
(a) Jack's father never got his law degree.
(b) Jack's father was a homosexual.
(c) Jack's father left his family with no explanation.
(d) Jack's father had multiple affairs.
8. What does Willie tell White after White accuses Willie of impunity?
(a) That White would make a good county prosecutor.
(b) That White should never have entered public office.
(c) That White should take some time off.
(d) White has watched the rich get richer and the poor get poorer for 15 years.
9. Why does Jack attend the state university instead of abiding by his mother's wishes and going to Harvard or Princeton?
(a) Jack does not want to move that far away from home.
(b) Jack does not think he would adapt well to a northern school.
(c) Jack wants to put himself through college and the state school is less expensive.
(d) Jack thinks his mother still needs his help occasionally.
10. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
(a) Sugar Boy
(b) Tiny Duffy
(c) Jack Burden
(d) Judge Irwin
11. How is Dolph Pillsbury connected to the troubles with the brick kiln?
(a) Pillsbury's brother-in-law owns the kiln and Pillsbury is suspected of getting kickbacks on the school job.
(b) Pillsbury used to do the accounting for the kiln company.
(c) Pillsbury is a major investor in the kiln business.
(d) Pillsbury used to make bricks for the kiln company.
12. What kinds of stories are surfacing at the newspaper office, The Chronicle?
(a) Stories about segregation
(b) Stories about prohibition
(c) Stories about corruption in county courthouses
(d) Stories about environmental issues
13. Who are Willie and his entourage visiting at a farm?
(a) Willie's father
(b) Willie's mentor
(c) Willie's old coach
(d) Willie's grandfather
14. Why is Willie's wife, Lucy, leaving Willie?
(a) Because Willie is having an affair
(b) Because she cannot live in the glare of the public spotlight
(c) Because he has covered up Byram White's crime
(d) Because she has fallen in love with someone else
15. What do Jack and Judge Irwin make while Jack is growing up?
(a) Models of ancient weapons
(c) Model airplanes
(d) Ships in bottles
Short Answer Questions
1. Which political faction covertly backs Willie's campaign?
2. Who is the narrator of the story?
3. Who is Willie Stark's wife?
4. What is Willie's wife's profession?
5. To what college does Gilbert send Cass?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)