|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary technique does the author use to take the story back in time again?
(a) Plot timeline
(b) Plot in reverse
(c) Reverse plot
2. Who takes over as Jack's father after Jack's father leaves?
(a) Governor Stanton
(b) Judge Irwin
(c) Grandfather Burden
(d) Mr. Stark
3. With whom has Willie been having an affair?
(a) Lucille Burden
(b) Mary Harrison
(c) Sadie Burke
(d) Anne Stanton
4. In what year does the story begin?
5. How many husbands has Mrs. Burden had?
6. On what topic does Willie complain to Jack about Lucy?
(a) How Lucy is raising their son, Tom
(b) How much weight Lucy seems to have gained recently
(c) How much money Lucy is spending to decorate the governor's mansion
(d) How much Lucy has overextended her wardrobe budget
7. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
(a) 100 miles
(b) 30 miles
(c) 33 miles
(d) 130 miles
8. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
(a) The politics involved in a construction contract award
(b) The fire at the Mason City Elementary School
(c) The Mason City Labor Day Beauty Pageant
(d) The Mason City Fourth of July Celebration
9. How does Jack come in contact with Cass Mastern?
(a) Cass places an ad for an apartment for rent.
(b) Cass offers dissertation services to grad students.
(c) Cass' grandson contacts Jack to determine if Cass' papers have any financial worth.
(d) Cass was a highly-honored Civil War general.
10. To what year does the story flash back?
11. What is the situation regarding a brick kiln and the bricks Moore would use on the awarded job?
(a) The kiln is located in another state and there are tax issues.
(b) The brick kiln cannot produce the amount of bricks needed to meet the deadline.
(c) The brick kiln cannot produce the correct color of bricks for the school.
(d) There had been a lawsuit about the inferior quality of the bricks.
12. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
13. What kinds of stories are surfacing at the newspaper office, The Chronicle?
(a) Stories about segregation
(b) Stories about corruption in county courthouses
(c) Stories about prohibition
(d) Stories about environmental issues
14. With what married woman did Cass become involved at Transylvania?
(a) Annabeth Jefferson
(b) Annabelle Lee
(c) Annabelle Trice
(d) Annabeth Lee
15. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
(a) Sugar Boy
(b) Jack Burden
(c) Tiny Duffy
(d) Judge Irwin
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annabelle do when she sees Cass after her husband's death?
2. Why is the decision made to back Willie?
3. When Jack returns to his office, he finds that ______________________________ have been begun for State Auditor, Byram B. White.
4. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
5. What does Cass learn from Gilbert?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)