Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie want for his son, Tom?
(a) He wants him to marry a nice girl and settle down in Mason City.
(b) He wants him to go to Harvard or Yale and become a lawyer.
(c) He wants him to become a professional baseball player.
(d) He wants him to be a part of all the excitement of Willie's administration.
2. Why is the decision made to back Willie?
(a) To split the Stanton vote
(b) To split the Harrison vote
(c) To split the Irwin vote
(d) To split the MacMurfee vote
3. Who befriends Willie to keep an eye on his campaign for the Harrison faction?
(a) Anne Stanton
(b) Mrs. Pillsbury
(c) Sadie Burke
(d) Lucille MacMurfee
4. How does Jack come in contact with Cass Mastern?
(a) Cass was a highly-honored Civil War general.
(b) Cass offers dissertation services to grad students.
(c) Cass places an ad for an apartment for rent.
(d) Cass' grandson contacts Jack to determine if Cass' papers have any financial worth.
5. What surprising twist occurs at Willie's next speech?
(a) Willie tells the crowd about how he has been duped and he is resigning in order to support MacMurfee.
(b) Willie resigns because his wife cannot withstand the rigors of the campaign.
(c) Willie resigns because he gets some bad medical news.
(d) Willie resigns before he is blackmailed.
6. What does the answer to #45 reveal to Willie?
(a) That Willie will be a wonderful governor.
(b) That she has been attending all of Willie's speeches.
(c) That she is very attracted to Willie.
(d) That Willie has been used by the Hamiltons in the campaign.
7. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
(a) Because Willie sends Jack to buy the woman a piece of jewelry.
(b) Because the woman storms into his office demanding to know about rumors of Willie seeing other women.
(c) Because he has seen the woman coming out of Willie's hotel room one morning.
(d) Because he confronts Willie directly.
8. Why does Jack attend the state university instead of abiding by his mother's wishes and going to Harvard or Princeton?
(a) Jack does not want to move that far away from home.
(b) Jack wants to put himself through college and the state school is less expensive.
(c) Jack thinks his mother still needs his help occasionally.
(d) Jack does not think he would adapt well to a northern school.
9. Who do the city commissioners want to get the contract?
(a) J.H. Moore
(b) Dolph Pillsbury
(c) Jeffers Construction Company
(d) Burke's Brick & Tile Company
10. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
11. In what year does Willie first run for governor?
12. What does Cass learn from Gilbert?
(a) How to speak French
(b) How to manage a plantation
(c) How to ride a horse
(d) How to order wine in a restaurant
13. What does Jack Burden carry with him?
(a) A whiskey flask
(b) A pencil and paper
(c) A tape recorder
(d) A press pass
14. What is Willie's wife's profession?
(b) School teacher
(c) Court reporter
15. Who recommended the school for Cass?
(a) Robert E. Lee
(b) Ulysses S. Grant
(c) Jefferson Davis
(d) Abraham Lincoln
Short Answer Questions
1. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
2. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
3. How did Tiny Duffy get his name?
4. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
5. Of what has White been accused?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)