|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
(a) 30 miles
(b) 130 miles
(c) 33 miles
(d) 100 miles
2. How many husbands has Mrs. Burden had?
3. Cass and his brother, Gilbert, and sister, Lavinia, were born in poverty in what state?
4. What does Willie tell Jack to do?
(a) Find something to blackmail Judge Irwin
(b) Find his own way back to town
(c) Make sure Willie is front page news tomorrow
(d) Find a way to influence the judge
5. Why do people come to hear Willie speak?
(a) Because Willie offers free refreshments at his speeches.
(b) Because they're interested in anyone who opposes Pillsbury's friend.
(c) Because they want to hear everything they can about all the candidates.
(d) Because Willie gives prizes to anyone bringing children to the speeches.
6. What does Jack think he can find to blackmail Judge Irwin?
(a) He knows that the Judge has money in Cayman banks.
(b) He does not think he can find anything.
(c) He knows the dirt about the Judge's divorce.
(d) He knows that the Judge has an illegitimate child.
7. What happens to Willie's career in April of 1933?
(a) Willie receives the national endorsement to campaign for president.
(b) There are impeachment proceeding initiated because of the White case.
(c) The news of Willie's affairs threatens his career.
(d) Willie has to step down for health reasons.
8. What surprising twist occurs at Willie's next speech?
(a) Willie tells the crowd about how he has been duped and he is resigning in order to support MacMurfee.
(b) Willie resigns because his wife cannot withstand the rigors of the campaign.
(c) Willie resigns because he gets some bad medical news.
(d) Willie resigns before he is blackmailed.
9. Of what has White been accused?
(a) Having an affair with a congressman's wife
(b) Making a deal with the Tax Lands Bureau for a kickback
(c) Cheating on his taxes
(d) Propositioning one of the pages at the state house
10. Who steps in and offers blackmail as a tool to help White?
(a) Governor Stark
(b) Judge Irwin
(c) Former Governor Stanton
(d) Tiny Duffy
11. What does Jack Burden carry with him?
(a) A tape recorder
(b) A whiskey flask
(c) A press pass
(d) A pencil and paper
12. What happens to indicate that Lucy is not engaged in Willie's life?
(a) Lucy takes frequent shopping trips out of town.
(b) Willie finds her asleep early even with the threat of impeachment hanging over Willie's head.
(c) Lucy takes several independent vacations.
(d) Willie notices that she no longer has the chef prepare Willie's favorite meals.
13. What happens when Jack visits his father in his small apartment now?
(a) Jack rejects his religious obsessions and his father says he will pray for Jack's soul.
(b) Jack takes food so his father will remember to eat.
(c) Jack takes his father to dinner and a movie.
(d) Jack takes his father to minor league baseball games.
14. Who are Willie and his entourage visiting at a farm?
(a) Willie's father
(b) Willie's grandfather
(c) Willie's old coach
(d) Willie's mentor
15. In a flashback, what does the author reveal about Jack's father?
(a) Jack's father was a homosexual.
(b) Jack's father left his family with no explanation.
(c) Jack's father had multiple affairs.
(d) Jack's father never got his law degree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie's wife's profession?
2. Who takes over as Jack's father after Jack's father leaves?
3. How does Willie enter politics again?
4. Which political faction covertly backs Willie's campaign?
5. How does Willie benefit from what happens at the school fire drill?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)