|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the situation regarding a brick kiln and the bricks Moore would use on the awarded job?
(a) The brick kiln cannot produce the amount of bricks needed to meet the deadline.
(b) There had been a lawsuit about the inferior quality of the bricks.
(c) The brick kiln cannot produce the correct color of bricks for the school.
(d) The kiln is located in another state and there are tax issues.
2. Cass and his brother, Gilbert, and sister, Lavinia, were born in poverty in what state?
3. With what married woman did Cass become involved at Transylvania?
(a) Annabelle Lee
(b) Annabelle Trice
(c) Annabeth Lee
(d) Annabeth Jefferson
4. How did Cass die?
(a) Of old age
(b) In the Battle of Gettysburg
(c) In a military hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1864
(d) From cancer
5. Why does Annabelle sell Phebe, her waiting maid?
(a) Because Phebe had set fire to the bedroom drapes with a candle.
(b) Because Annabelle wants a younger maid in the house.
(c) Because she saw Annabelle shoot her husband.
(d) Because Phebe knows about Annabelle's husband's ring on Cass' finger.
6. With whom has Willie been having an affair?
(a) Anne Stanton
(b) Mary Harrison
(c) Sadie Burke
(d) Lucille Burden
7. Who is the woman who works for Willie?
(a) Lucille Burke
(b) Marie Stanton
(c) Sadie Burke
(d) Anne Stanton
8. Who were Jack's childhood friends?
(a) Sadie and Marie Burke
(b) Tiny Duffy and Sugar Boy
(c) Willie and Teddy Stark
(d) Adam and Anne Stanton
9. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) Jack Burden
(b) Anne Stanton
(c) Adam Stanton
(d) Willie Stark
10. Who do the city commissioners want to get the contract?
(a) J.H. Moore
(b) Burke's Brick & Tile Company
(c) Jeffers Construction Company
(d) Dolph Pillsbury
11. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
(a) The Mason City Labor Day Beauty Pageant
(b) The fire at the Mason City Elementary School
(c) The Mason City Fourth of July Celebration
(d) The politics involved in a construction contract award
12. How can Willie be confident in his position?
(a) He has helped the people in the state more than anyone else who has ever held the office.
(b) He can blackmail anyone he needs to in order to secure his position.
(c) He has the loyalty of the people all over the state.
(d) He knows how to campaign better than anyone in the state.
13. Who is Willie Stark's wife?
14. Who recommended the school for Cass?
(a) Ulysses S. Grant
(b) Abraham Lincoln
(c) Robert E. Lee
(d) Jefferson Davis
15. How does Judge Irwin react when a dinner guest berates Governor Stark's programs?
(a) He agrees with his guest.
(b) He changes the subject.
(c) He lets the arguments escalate.
(d) He defends them as necessary in a changing world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
2. What do Jack and Judge Irwin make while Jack is growing up?
3. Gilbert sends Lavinia to an expensive school in Atlanta and _____________________________.
4. What was Willie Stark's job when Jack Burden first meets him?
5. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)