|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the story begin?
2. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
(a) They are innovative.
(b) They are rousing.
(c) They are conventional.
(d) They are not good.
3. Why does Willie lose when he runs for reelection?
(a) He does not have a good record on administering city tax dollars.
(b) The city commissioners start a rumor that the contractor Willie wanted, Jeffers, hired Negro workers.
(c) He does not have enough money to print campaign posters.
(d) He runs against the mayor's very popular son.
4. What happens during a fire drill at the school two years after it is constructed?
(a) The fire drill is actually a real fire and most of the children are overcome with smoke.
(b) The students and teachers are locked in the building.
(c) The brickwork collapses causing the deaths of three children and serious injury to a dozen more.
(d) Someone pulls the fire alarm as a prank and is suspended for three weeks.
5. How is Dolph Pillsbury connected to the troubles with the brick kiln?
(a) Pillsbury is a major investor in the kiln business.
(b) Pillsbury used to do the accounting for the kiln company.
(c) Pillsbury used to make bricks for the kiln company.
(d) Pillsbury's brother-in-law owns the kiln and Pillsbury is suspected of getting kickbacks on the school job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary technique does the author use to take the story back in time again?
2. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
3. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
4. Who do the city commissioners want to get the contract?
5. To what year does the story flash back?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)