|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How, according to George Martin, does a computer multiply 17 by 32?
2. Who was the first artist recorded by George Martin at AIR's first studio?
3. In the 1950s studios had A&R men, meaning what?
4. The song, "Pepperland Laid Waste", appears on which Beatles album?"
5. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the first layer in a four-track recording?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although "All You Need Is Ears" is an autobiography, the technique of foreshadowing is sometimes used by George Martin. For example, Chapters 1 and 2 both end with strong hints of what will happen in Chapter 3: the beginning of George Martin's career in the recording industry. What other examples of foreshadowing occur in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why does George Martin feel that pop music is not a step down from classical music? Why does he think pop musicians find it easier to succeed in modern times than classical musicians?
Essay Topic 3
What creative techniques, employed by George Martin and the Beatles, caused "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" to be regarded by many as the best album of all time?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)