|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The song, "Pepperland Laid Waste", appears on which Beatles album?"
2. Who was the first artist recorded by George Martin at AIR's first studio?
3. What three reasons does George Martin offer for some groups' desire not to work with a producer?
4. While recording the twenty-four-bar climax for "A Day in the Life", George Martin told the orchestra to disobey a fundamental rule by doing what?
5. Which Beatle sang the title song in the James Bond film scored by George Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is a compressor used in a recording studio?
2. Describe the early founding of AIR, Associated Independent Recording.
3. What was the first film scored by George Martin, and why does he refer to the process as a nightmare?
4. Under what circumstances did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, die?
5. How did Capitol Records come to take on the Beatles' records, even though they resisted at first?
6. What sites did George Martin consider for AIR's second studio, a residential complex, and where was it ultimately constructed?
7. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
8. What aspects of Dick Lester's direction does George Martin most admire, in the Beatles' film, "A Hard Day's Night"?
9. In Chapter 11, George Martin expresses his naivety regarding what activities of the Beatles?
10. What does George Martin define as the golden treadmill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did George Martin's fairy godfather, Sidney Harrison, prove to be a major, recurring influence in his life?
Essay Topic 2
If George Martin can be said to be the protagonist of his own autobiographical story, who are the main antagonists? How did George Martin overcome obstacles set before him by those antagonists? Did he, or his character, learn and grow as the story progressed?
Essay Topic 3
What creative techniques, employed by George Martin and the Beatles, caused "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" to be regarded by many as the best album of all time?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)