|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time "All You Need Is Ears" was written, anyone wanting to become a professional record producer had what two options, according to George Martin in Chapter 12?
2. As described in Chapter 10, why did George Martin hesitate to honor John Lennon's request to fuse two versions of "Strawberry Fields"?
3. George Martin's new business, AIR, is an acronym for what?
4. George Martin states, throughout "All You Need Is Ears", that major change comes to the recording industry at what general interval of time?
5. What album does George Martin cite, in Chapter 12, as the classic example of what a talented amateur can achieve with multi-track recording?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly summarize George Martin's predictions for the future, as of 1979, regarding the use of digital recording.
2. What is George Martin's explanation for the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", contrary to the popular theory that the song is about LSD?
3. Under what circumstances did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, die?
4. What difficulties were presented by John Lennon's request that George Martin fuse together two unique versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
5. What main advantage did George Martin gain from EMI, as a result of creating gold records with the Beatles?
6. What does George Martin define as the golden treadmill?
7. Discuss two innovations predicted by George Martin in Chapter 15 that have since become reality.
8. What sites did George Martin consider for AIR's second studio, a residential complex, and where was it ultimately constructed?
9. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
10. Which is the only Beatles film not scored by George Martin, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does George Martin use the opening sequence in Chapter 1, featuring himself, the Beatles, and Brian Epstein in Paris, to lay the groundwork for their personalities and their relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Describe George Martin's impression of each of the Beatles, from first meeting through subsequent endeavors over the years.
Essay Topic 3
What is the main theme or themes of "All You Need Is Ears"? Is it possible for an autobiography to have a cohesive theme, without some scheming, omissions, and altering of facts by the author?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)