|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group of painters is George Martin's favorite?
2. George Martin's inspiration for AIR's second studio was The Manor, owned by whom?
3. George Martin converted a house in what New England town into a recording studio, to record Sea Train?
4. While orchestrating the film, "The Family Way", what compromise did George Martin reach with John Boulting?
5. In what year was "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" recorded?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly summarize George Martin's predictions for the future, as of 1979, regarding the use of digital recording.
2. Discuss two innovations predicted by George Martin in Chapter 15 that have since become reality.
3. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
4. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
5. What is George Martin's explanation for the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", contrary to the popular theory that the song is about LSD?
6. Why, as described in Chapter 10, did George Martin become increasingly frustrated with EMI?
7. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
8. What inspired the Beatles to present "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" as a concept album?
9. What album does George Martin consider to be the classic example of what can be achieved by a talented amateur with multi-track equipment?
10. What was the first film scored by George Martin, and why does he refer to the process as a nightmare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 15, George Martin laid out his predictions for the next twenty-five years in music and technology. Most of those predictions have since become reality. Since "All You Need Is Ears" was published in 1979, that twenty-five year span ended in 2004, and the next twenty-five-year span has begun. What predictions might George Martin make for this next quarter century, based on your understanding of his philosophies and knowledge?
Essay Topic 2
How did George Martin's experiences, recording classical artists and comedians at Parlophone, help to prepare him for his most famous role as the Beatles' producer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the formation of AIR. Detail the design and construction of its first studio in London and its residential studio in Montserrat.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)