|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How, according to George Martin, does a computer multiply 17 by 32?
2. How does George Martin describe the result, when a recording is overcompressed?
3. At EMI, what did engineer Charlie Anderson do when a photographer wanted to take pictures of a recording artist in the studio?
4. What does George Martin describe as one of his biggest hurts, during the Pepper era?
5. For which movie did George Martin receive his first and only Academy Award nomination?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, George Martin expresses his naivety regarding what activities of the Beatles?
2. What sites did George Martin consider for AIR's second studio, a residential complex, and where was it ultimately constructed?
3. As explained in Chapter 13, how does George Martin respond when asked how to become a successful record producer?
4. For the film, "The Family Way", what sort of tune did George Martin ask Paul McCartney to write, and what strategy did he employ when Paul McCartney was slow to comply?
5. How does George Martin compare multi-track recording to a four-layer cake, as described in Chapter 8?
6. Why, as described in Chapter 10, did George Martin become increasingly frustrated with EMI?
7. Briefly summarize George Martin's predictions for the future, as of 1979, regarding the use of digital recording.
8. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
9. What difficulties were presented by John Lennon's request that George Martin fuse together two unique versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
10. Describe the early founding of AIR, Associated Independent Recording.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the formation of AIR. Detail the design and construction of its first studio in London and its residential studio in Montserrat.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the phenomenon, as explained by George Martin in Chapter 6, of two stereo speakers creating the illusion of sound emanating from a central point, in addition to the left and right. How did he use this phenomenon to its best advantage in his recordings?
Essay Topic 3
How did George Martin's fairy godfather, Sidney Harrison, prove to be a major, recurring influence in his life?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)