|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group of painters is George Martin's favorite?
2. What, for George Martin, was the main advantage of recording on two tracks instead of one?
3. For which movie did George Martin receive his first and only Academy Award nomination?
4. Where did George Martin build his second AIR studio?
5. Which Beatles song was the first to feature other musicians, in addition to the four Beatles and George Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the early founding of AIR, Associated Independent Recording.
2. What is George Martin's explanation for the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", contrary to the popular theory that the song is about LSD?
3. Why did the creators of the James Bond film, "Live and Let Die", want someone other than songwriter Paul McCartney to sing the title song?
4. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
5. How did Capitol Records come to take on the Beatles' records, even though they resisted at first?
6. Under what circumstances did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, die?
7. What main advantage did George Martin gain from EMI, as a result of creating gold records with the Beatles?
8. What sites did George Martin consider for AIR's second studio, a residential complex, and where was it ultimately constructed?
9. How does George Martin compare multi-track recording to a four-layer cake, as described in Chapter 8?
10. What aspects of Dick Lester's direction does George Martin most admire, in the Beatles' film, "A Hard Day's Night"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the unique collaborative writing style employed by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. In the opinion of George Martin, how are their individual styles unique?
Essay Topic 2
How did George Martin's fairy godfather, Sidney Harrison, prove to be a major, recurring influence in his life?
Essay Topic 3
What creative techniques, employed by George Martin and the Beatles, caused "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" to be regarded by many as the best album of all time?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)