|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem was discovered at AIR, while Laurence Olivier was recording "Julius Caesar"?
2. In filmmaking, what is a click track?
3. After how many attempts, as described in Chapter 9, did Capitol Records agree to release Beatles records?
4. What did George Martin believe would replace discs played by needles, at the time his book was written?
5. After completion of AIR's first studio, what sort of studio did George Martin next want to create?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first film scored by George Martin, and why does he refer to the process as a nightmare?
2. Under what circumstances did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, die?
3. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
4. What, according to George Martin, is the best way to orchestrate for strings?
5. In Chapter 11, George Martin expresses his naivety regarding what activities of the Beatles?
6. What difficulties were presented by John Lennon's request that George Martin fuse together two unique versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
7. For the film, "The Family Way", what sort of tune did George Martin ask Paul McCartney to write, and what strategy did he employ when Paul McCartney was slow to comply?
8. What is George Martin's explanation for the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", contrary to the popular theory that the song is about LSD?
9. Why, as described in Chapter 10, did George Martin become increasingly frustrated with EMI?
10. Discuss two innovations predicted by George Martin in Chapter 15 that have since become reality.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compile a list of famous names in "All You Need Is Ears" that may be unfamiliar to Americans or to younger readers. Create a brief byline for each person, indicating why he or she is famous. Should subsequent editions of the book contain footnotes, elaborating on these celebrities' claims to fame?
Essay Topic 2
What is the main theme or themes of "All You Need Is Ears"? Is it possible for an autobiography to have a cohesive theme, without some scheming, omissions, and altering of facts by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the unique collaborative writing style employed by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. In the opinion of George Martin, how are their individual styles unique?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)