|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What password did the Beatles invent, to warn each other about dubious fans approaching?
2. While recording the twenty-four-bar climax for "A Day in the Life", George Martin told the orchestra to disobey a fundamental rule by doing what?
3. What sound near the end of "Good Morning" sounded remarkably like the guitar at the beginning of "Sergeant Pepper", allowing for an easy fusion of "Good Morning" and the "Sergeant Pepper Reprise"?
4. As mentioned in Chapter 12, where did George Martin first meet the then-unknown composer, Randy Newman?
5. As described in Chapter 14, AIR built its first studio where?
Short Essay Questions
1. For the film, "The Family Way", what sort of tune did George Martin ask Paul McCartney to write, and what strategy did he employ when Paul McCartney was slow to comply?
2. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
3. How is a compressor used in a recording studio?
4. Describe the early founding of AIR, Associated Independent Recording.
5. As explained in Chapter 13, how does George Martin respond when asked how to become a successful record producer?
6. How did Capitol Records come to take on the Beatles' records, even though they resisted at first?
7. Which is the only Beatles film not scored by George Martin, and why?
8. What sorts of diversions did the Beatles create, in order to get in and out of their hotel rooms in the U.S.?
9. What inspired the Beatles to present "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" as a concept album?
10. Under what circumstances did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss George Martin's choices, regarding what to include and what to exclude from "All You Need Is Ears". For example, he includes a lengthy description, in Chapter 5, about how he destroyed EMI's relationship with a lesser-known artist, the conductor of The Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise, and yet he makes no mention of the milestone event, the breakup of the Beatles.
Essay Topic 2
If George Martin can be said to be the protagonist of his own autobiographical story, who are the main antagonists? How did George Martin overcome obstacles set before him by those antagonists? Did he, or his character, learn and grow as the story progressed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the formation of AIR. Detail the design and construction of its first studio in London and its residential studio in Montserrat.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)