|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Beatles movie was produced with no assistance from George Martin?
2. On George Harrison's "Within You Without You", what Indian violin is featured?
3. While orchestrating the film, "The Family Way", what compromise did George Martin reach with John Boulting?
4. In what year was "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" recorded?
5. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the first layer in a four-track recording?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
2. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
3. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
4. How is a click track used in scoring a film?
5. As explained in Chapter 13, how does George Martin respond when asked how to become a successful record producer?
6. In Chapter 11, George Martin expresses his naivety regarding what activities of the Beatles?
7. What inspired the Beatles to present "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" as a concept album?
8. What aspects of Dick Lester's direction does George Martin most admire, in the Beatles' film, "A Hard Day's Night"?
9. How did Capitol Records come to take on the Beatles' records, even though they resisted at first?
10. What does George Martin define as the golden treadmill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does George Martin string together the various periods of his life, both professional and personal, and how does he interweave more technical discussions about music, architecture, filmmaking, and technology? Chapter by chapter, how does the book flow to create a cohesive autobiography?
Essay Topic 2
What are the highlights and lowlights of George Martin's childhood, living in a modest flat and having limited access to formal musical training?
Essay Topic 3
Describe George Martin's complex relationship with Debussy's "L'Après-midi d'une faune." How did the piece enhance his understanding of orchestration?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)