|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described in Chapter 10, why did George Martin hesitate to honor John Lennon's request to fuse two versions of "Strawberry Fields"?
2. What, for George Martin, was the main advantage of recording on two tracks instead of one?
3. How, according to George Martin, does a computer multiply 17 by 32?
4. What password did the Beatles invent, to warn each other about dubious fans approaching?
5. As described early in Chapter 8, what was one of the main reasons George Martin enjoyed working with the Beatles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sorts of diversions did the Beatles create, in order to get in and out of their hotel rooms in the U.S.?
2. What, according to George Martin, is the best way to orchestrate for strings?
3. What is George Martin's explanation for the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", contrary to the popular theory that the song is about LSD?
4. Briefly summarize George Martin's predictions for the future, as of 1979, regarding the use of digital recording.
5. In Chapter 11, George Martin expresses his naivety regarding what activities of the Beatles?
6. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
7. What inspired the Beatles to present "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" as a concept album?
8. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
9. How did Capitol Records come to take on the Beatles' records, even though they resisted at first?
10. How is a compressor used in a recording studio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the phenomenon, as explained by George Martin in Chapter 6, of two stereo speakers creating the illusion of sound emanating from a central point, in addition to the left and right. How did he use this phenomenon to its best advantage in his recordings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe George Martin's complex relationship with Debussy's "L'Après-midi d'une faune." How did the piece enhance his understanding of orchestration?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the formation of AIR. Detail the design and construction of its first studio in London and its residential studio in Montserrat.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)