|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the second layer in a four-track recording?
2. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the fourth layer in a four-track recording?
3. In the recording studio, what is the function of the compressor?
4. In filmmaking, what is a click track?
5. During the Beatles' first visit to America, according to George Martin in Chapter 9, what did some middle-aged men on Fifth Avenue wear to show they were in tune?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
2. As explained in Chapter 13, how does George Martin respond when asked how to become a successful record producer?
3. Briefly summarize George Martin's predictions for the future, as of 1979, regarding the use of digital recording.
4. What inspired the Beatles to present "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" as a concept album?
5. What sites did George Martin consider for AIR's second studio, a residential complex, and where was it ultimately constructed?
6. What does George Martin define as the golden treadmill?
7. What album does George Martin consider to be the classic example of what can be achieved by a talented amateur with multi-track equipment?
8. What sorts of diversions did the Beatles create, in order to get in and out of their hotel rooms in the U.S.?
9. Describe the early founding of AIR, Associated Independent Recording.
10. Under what circumstances did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What creative techniques, employed by George Martin and the Beatles, caused "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" to be regarded by many as the best album of all time?
Essay Topic 2
How does George Martin use the opening sequence in Chapter 1, featuring himself, the Beatles, and Brian Epstein in Paris, to lay the groundwork for their personalities and their relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Describe George Martin's impression of each of the Beatles, from first meeting through subsequent endeavors over the years.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)