|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the British Embassy in 1964, what did one Beatle fan do to Ringo Starr?
2. Why was George Martin shocked when he viewed "Crooks Anonymous", a film that he scored?
3. The song, "Pepperland Laid Waste", appears on which Beatles album?"
4. George Martin states, throughout "All You Need Is Ears", that major change comes to the recording industry at what general interval of time?
5. What was the first movie scored by George Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
2. What aspects of Dick Lester's direction does George Martin most admire, in the Beatles' film, "A Hard Day's Night"?
3. What main advantage did George Martin gain from EMI, as a result of creating gold records with the Beatles?
4. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
5. What is George Martin's explanation for the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", contrary to the popular theory that the song is about LSD?
6. Describe the early founding of AIR, Associated Independent Recording.
7. What, according to George Martin, is the best way to orchestrate for strings?
8. What inspired the Beatles to present "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" as a concept album?
9. In Chapter 11, George Martin expresses his naivety regarding what activities of the Beatles?
10. What difficulties were presented by John Lennon's request that George Martin fuse together two unique versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did George Martin's fairy godfather, Sidney Harrison, prove to be a major, recurring influence in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss George Martin's choices, regarding what to include and what to exclude from "All You Need Is Ears". For example, he includes a lengthy description, in Chapter 5, about how he destroyed EMI's relationship with a lesser-known artist, the conductor of The Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise, and yet he makes no mention of the milestone event, the breakup of the Beatles.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the unique collaborative writing style employed by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. In the opinion of George Martin, how are their individual styles unique?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)