|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At EMI, what did engineer Charlie Anderson do when a photographer wanted to take pictures of a recording artist in the studio?
2. The song, "Pepperland Laid Waste", appears on which Beatles album?"
3. George Martin converted a house in what New England town into a recording studio, to record Sea Train?
4. George Martin states, throughout "All You Need Is Ears", that major change comes to the recording industry at what general interval of time?
5. What album does George Martin cite, in Chapter 12, as the classic example of what a talented amateur can achieve with multi-track recording?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is George Martin's explanation for the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", contrary to the popular theory that the song is about LSD?
2. What difficulties were presented by John Lennon's request that George Martin fuse together two unique versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
3. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
4. What sites did George Martin consider for AIR's second studio, a residential complex, and where was it ultimately constructed?
5. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
6. What was the first film scored by George Martin, and why does he refer to the process as a nightmare?
7. Which is the only Beatles film not scored by George Martin, and why?
8. Under what circumstances did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, die?
9. Why did the creators of the James Bond film, "Live and Let Die", want someone other than songwriter Paul McCartney to sing the title song?
10. How did Capitol Records come to take on the Beatles' records, even though they resisted at first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the highlights and lowlights of George Martin's childhood, living in a modest flat and having limited access to formal musical training?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 15, George Martin laid out his predictions for the next twenty-five years in music and technology. Most of those predictions have since become reality. Since "All You Need Is Ears" was published in 1979, that twenty-five year span ended in 2004, and the next twenty-five-year span has begun. What predictions might George Martin make for this next quarter century, based on your understanding of his philosophies and knowledge?
Essay Topic 3
What creative techniques, employed by George Martin and the Beatles, caused "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" to be regarded by many as the best album of all time?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)