|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George Martin's explanation for the song title, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"?
2. Where did George Martin build his second AIR studio?
3. On George Harrison's "Within You Without You", what Indian violin is featured?
4. When ADT was first applied to John Lennon's voice, what made-up phrase did George Martin use to describe the mechanics?
5. George Martin and his second wife, Judy Lockhart-Smith, attended the Beatles' fancy dress party for "Magical Mystery Tour" as what characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George Martin define as the golden treadmill?
2. What was the first film scored by George Martin, and why does he refer to the process as a nightmare?
3. In Chapter 11, George Martin expresses his naivety regarding what activities of the Beatles?
4. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
5. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
6. How is a click track used in scoring a film?
7. What album does George Martin consider to be the classic example of what can be achieved by a talented amateur with multi-track equipment?
8. Which is the only Beatles film not scored by George Martin, and why?
9. What difficulties were presented by John Lennon's request that George Martin fuse together two unique versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
10. Discuss two innovations predicted by George Martin in Chapter 15 that have since become reality.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If George Martin can be said to be the protagonist of his own autobiographical story, who are the main antagonists? How did George Martin overcome obstacles set before him by those antagonists? Did he, or his character, learn and grow as the story progressed?
Essay Topic 2
How did George Martin's fairy godfather, Sidney Harrison, prove to be a major, recurring influence in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the phenomenon, as explained by George Martin in Chapter 6, of two stereo speakers creating the illusion of sound emanating from a central point, in addition to the left and right. How did he use this phenomenon to its best advantage in his recordings?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)