|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In filmmaking, what is a click track?
2. Engelbert Humperdinck's single, "Release Me," prevented which double-A-side Beatles record from reaching number one?
3. Who found a solution to the noise problem caused by extra tracks multiplying hiss and crackle?
4. What was the first difference George Martin noticed at Capitol Studios in America, as compared to Abbey Road, as described in Chapter 8?
5. Who was the first artist recorded by George Martin at AIR's first studio?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, George Martin expresses his naivety regarding what activities of the Beatles?
2. Under what circumstances did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, die?
3. What does George Martin define as the golden treadmill?
4. What is George Martin's explanation for the song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", contrary to the popular theory that the song is about LSD?
5. Why did the creators of the James Bond film, "Live and Let Die", want someone other than songwriter Paul McCartney to sing the title song?
6. What sites did George Martin consider for AIR's second studio, a residential complex, and where was it ultimately constructed?
7. How does George Martin compare multi-track recording to a four-layer cake, as described in Chapter 8?
8. For the film, "The Family Way", what sort of tune did George Martin ask Paul McCartney to write, and what strategy did he employ when Paul McCartney was slow to comply?
9. Briefly describe the controversy surrounding John Lennon's comparison of the Beatles and Jesus.
10. What album does George Martin consider to be the classic example of what can be achieved by a talented amateur with multi-track equipment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does George Martin feel that pop music is not a step down from classical music? Why does he think pop musicians find it easier to succeed in modern times than classical musicians?
Essay Topic 2
What creative techniques, employed by George Martin and the Beatles, caused "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" to be regarded by many as the best album of all time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe George Martin's impression of each of the Beatles, from first meeting through subsequent endeavors over the years.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)