|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their first meeting with George Martin, who was the most talkative Beatle?
2. Before George Martin joined the Fleet Air Arm he worked briefly at what occupation?
3. During their first meeting with George Martin, which Beatle did not speak a word?
4. In Chapter 1, which two songs did George Martin want the Beatles to record in a foreign language?
5. In Chapter 5, when George Martin took over Parlophone, who offered to resign?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did George Martin turn down Dick James' offer to take on a share in his company?
2. What were George Martin's early life experiences with the piano and performing in general?
3. What was the danger behind the giggling fits of George Martin and Peter Sellers while recording comedy bits at the studio?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, call George Martin?
5. What is the strong warning behind George Martin's pun on a Beatles song, "All You Need Is Ears"?
6. Describe the early founding of AIR, Associated Independent Recording.
7. What was the atmosphere at Parlophone immediately following the retirement of Oscar Preuss, as described by George Martin at the beginning of Chapter 5?
8. How did the Beatles come to change drummers before achieving success and fame, letting Pete Best go in favor of Ringo Starr?
9. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
10. How does George Martin compare multi-track recording to a four-layer cake, as described in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the phenomenon, as explained by George Martin in Chapter 6, of two stereo speakers creating the illusion of sound emanating from a central point, in addition to the left and right. How did he use this phenomenon to its best advantage in his recordings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the unique collaborative writing style employed by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. In the opinion of George Martin, how are their individual styles unique?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss George Martin's choices, regarding what to include and what to exclude from "All You Need Is Ears". For example, he includes a lengthy description, in Chapter 5, about how he destroyed EMI's relationship with a lesser-known artist, the conductor of The Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise, and yet he makes no mention of the milestone event, the breakup of the Beatles.
This section contains 1,684 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)