|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the Beatles first reach number one in America?
2. In Chapter 7, George Martin reflects that what decision cost him millions of pounds?
3. What is a common mistake made by producers and musicians alike, according to George Martin in Chapter 4?
4. George Martin had trouble plugging "Love Me Do" for what reason, as explained in Chapter 7?
5. What was George Martin's complaint, in Chapter 4, regarding a beautiful villa in Portugal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the strong warning behind George Martin's pun on a Beatles song, "All You Need Is Ears"?
2. Relate one anecdote from George Martin's early career at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3.
3. What was the danger behind the giggling fits of George Martin and Peter Sellers while recording comedy bits at the studio?
4. What were George Martin's first impressions of the Beatles when he met them for the first time at Abbey Road?
5. Why did George Martin have trouble plugging "Love Me Do", which only reached number 17 on the charts?
6. How did George Martin come to record "At the Drop of a Hat" with Donald Swann and Michael Flanders, and what was unusual about the recording method he used?
7. Whom does George Martin consider to be his fairy godfather, and how did the two meet?
8. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
9. How does George Martin describe the collaborative writing style of John Lennon and Paul McCartney?
10. Describe the circumstances that led George Martin to marry his first wife, Sheena, and the tragedy, which occurred shortly thereafter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 15, George Martin laid out his predictions for the next twenty-five years in music and technology. Most of those predictions have since become reality. Since "All You Need Is Ears" was published in 1979, that twenty-five year span ended in 2004, and the next twenty-five-year span has begun. What predictions might George Martin make for this next quarter century, based on your understanding of his philosophies and knowledge?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the formation of AIR. Detail the design and construction of its first studio in London and its residential studio in Montserrat.
Essay Topic 3
Describe George Martin's complex relationship with Debussy's "L'Après-midi d'une faune." How did the piece enhance his understanding of orchestration?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)