Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first president of the London Baroque Society?
2. According to George Martin in Chapter 4, why is a human voice more interesting than a synthesizer?
3. Who first contacted George Martin in 1962 about a new group called the Beatles, as described in Chapter 7?
4. Who woke George Martin in the middle of the night, at the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. George Martin guesses he was how old when his family got a piano?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did George Martin come to record "At the Drop of a Hat" with Donald Swann and Michael Flanders, and what was unusual about the recording method he used?
2. For the film, "The Family Way", what sort of tune did George Martin ask Paul McCartney to write, and what strategy did he employ when Paul McCartney was slow to comply?
3. What difficulties were presented by John Lennon's request that George Martin fuse together two unique versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
4. How does George Martin compare multi-track recording to a four-layer cake, as described in Chapter 8?
5. What sites did George Martin consider for AIR's second studio, a residential complex, and where was it ultimately constructed?
6. How is a click track used in scoring a film?
7. Relate one anecdote from George Martin's early career at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3.
8. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
9. Why did the Beatles stand up George Martin in 1964, as described in Chapter 1?
10. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
Essay Topic 1
How did George Martin's fairy godfather, Sidney Harrison, prove to be a major, recurring influence in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe George Martin's impression of each of the Beatles, from first meeting through subsequent endeavors over the years.
Essay Topic 3
How does George Martin use the opening sequence in Chapter 1, featuring himself, the Beatles, and Brian Epstein in Paris, to lay the groundwork for their personalities and their relationships?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)