|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, George Martin wanted the Beatles to record two songs in which foreign language?
2. When George Martin was a child, his grandmother lived where?
3. According to George Martin in Chapter 7, Ringo Starr's lack of technical skill was made up for by what?
4. Whom does George Martin refer to as his fairy godfather?
5. What reason did George Martin offer, in Chapter 1, for marrying his first wife, Sheena?
Short Essay Questions
1. How, according to George Martin in Chapter 6, did the role of a producer change from the 1950s to the time "All You Need Is Ears" was published, in 1979?
2. As described at the end of Chapter 5, what embarrassing and untactful conversation did George Martin have with the director of the Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise?
3. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
4. Describe the circumstances that led George Martin to marry his first wife, Sheena, and the tragedy, which occurred shortly thereafter.
5. Why was George Martin gradually disenchanted with EMI by the end of Chapter 3, and what happened when he announced his plan to accept a position elsewhere?
6. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
7. How did the Beatles come to change drummers before achieving success and fame, letting Pete Best go in favor of Ringo Starr?
8. What was George Martin's first job at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3, and what were his primary duties?
9. What was the atmosphere at Parlophone immediately following the retirement of Oscar Preuss, as described by George Martin at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. How did George Martin come to record "At the Drop of a Hat" with Donald Swann and Michael Flanders, and what was unusual about the recording method he used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the highlights and lowlights of George Martin's childhood, living in a modest flat and having limited access to formal musical training?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the formation of AIR. Detail the design and construction of its first studio in London and its residential studio in Montserrat.
Essay Topic 3
Although "All You Need Is Ears" is an autobiography, the technique of foreshadowing is sometimes used by George Martin. For example, Chapters 1 and 2 both end with strong hints of what will happen in Chapter 3: the beginning of George Martin's career in the recording industry. What other examples of foreshadowing occur in the book?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)