|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to George Martin, is the real wonder of music and orchestration?
2. Who are the two children of George Martin and Sheena?
3. After attending a concert, George Martin met Eric Harrison, a musician who played which instrument?
4. Which Beatle, according to George Martin in Chapter 7, was the most proficient musician?
5. During his first meeting with George Martin, the Beatles' manager said that everyone in Liverpool described them in what way?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the strong warning behind George Martin's pun on a Beatles song, "All You Need Is Ears"?
2. What were George Martin's early life experiences with the piano and performing in general?
3. Why did George Martin's childhood piano lessons end after only eight sessions, and how did he continue to improve his skill?
4. Early in Chapter 1, why were the Beatles in Paris?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what were George Martin's criticisms of what he described as a lovely villa in Portugal?
6. Briefly summarize George Martin's experience at the Guildhall School of Music.
7. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
8. Whom does George Martin consider to be his fairy godfather, and how did the two meet?
9. What was the atmosphere at Parlophone immediately following the retirement of Oscar Preuss, as described by George Martin at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. Briefly describe George Martin's first meeting with the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, in 1962.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss George Martin's choices, regarding what to include and what to exclude from "All You Need Is Ears". For example, he includes a lengthy description, in Chapter 5, about how he destroyed EMI's relationship with a lesser-known artist, the conductor of The Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise, and yet he makes no mention of the milestone event, the breakup of the Beatles.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the unique collaborative writing style employed by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. In the opinion of George Martin, how are their individual styles unique?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 15, George Martin laid out his predictions for the next twenty-five years in music and technology. Most of those predictions have since become reality. Since "All You Need Is Ears" was published in 1979, that twenty-five year span ended in 2004, and the next twenty-five-year span has begun. What predictions might George Martin make for this next quarter century, based on your understanding of his philosophies and knowledge?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)