|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When George Martin took over Parlophone, what was the job description of Shirley Spence?
2. What reason did George Martin offer, in Chapter 1, for marrying his first wife, Sheena?
3. George Martin perceived which Beatle to be the leader of the group, early in their relationship, as described in Chapter 7?
4. In Chapter 1, George Martin wanted the Beatles to record two songs in which foreign language?
5. During their first meeting with George Martin, which Beatle did not speak a word?
Short Essay Questions
1. Early in Chapter 1, why were the Beatles in Paris?
2. What is the strong warning behind George Martin's pun on a Beatles song, "All You Need Is Ears"?
3. What was the atmosphere at Parlophone immediately following the retirement of Oscar Preuss, as described by George Martin at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What was George Martin's opinion of the Beatles talent and potential, upon listening to the demo tapes brought to him by Brian Epstein?
5. Whom does George Martin consider to be his fairy godfather, and how did the two meet?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, call George Martin?
7. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
8. What was George Martin's first musical love, and what did he do to understand its construction, as described in Chapter 2?
9. Briefly summarize George Martin's experience at the Guildhall School of Music.
10. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe George Martin's complex relationship with Debussy's "L'Après-midi d'une faune." How did the piece enhance his understanding of orchestration?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss George Martin's choices, regarding what to include and what to exclude from "All You Need Is Ears". For example, he includes a lengthy description, in Chapter 5, about how he destroyed EMI's relationship with a lesser-known artist, the conductor of The Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise, and yet he makes no mention of the milestone event, the breakup of the Beatles.
Essay Topic 3
Why does George Martin feel that pop music is not a step down from classical music? Why does he think pop musicians find it easier to succeed in modern times than classical musicians?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)