|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was George Martin's complaint, in Chapter 4, regarding a beautiful villa in Portugal?
2. What was the name of George Martin's first band?
3. Which Beatle, according to George Martin in Chapter 7, was the most proficient musician?
4. The Beatles first signed with which publisher in America?
5. While in the Fleet Air Arm, George Martin was invited to appear on which BBC program?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate one anecdote from George Martin's early career at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3.
2. How did the Beatles come to change drummers before achieving success and fame, letting Pete Best go in favor of Ringo Starr?
3. In Chapter 11, George Martin expresses his naivety regarding what activities of the Beatles?
4. In the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", how did George Martin achieve his complex hurdy-gurdy effect?
5. How does George Martin compare the nature of singer/songwriters in the 1950s, when he started at Parlophone, with the situation in 1979, when "All You Need Is Ears" was published?
6. How does George Martin describe the collaborative writing style of John Lennon and Paul McCartney?
7. What sites did George Martin consider for AIR's second studio, a residential complex, and where was it ultimately constructed?
8. In what way was the construction of the first AIR studio innovative, as described in Chapter 14?
9. What inspired the Beatles to present "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" as a concept album?
10. What was the danger behind the giggling fits of George Martin and Peter Sellers while recording comedy bits at the studio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the formation of AIR. Detail the design and construction of its first studio in London and its residential studio in Montserrat.
Essay Topic 2
Why does George Martin feel that pop music is not a step down from classical music? Why does he think pop musicians find it easier to succeed in modern times than classical musicians?
Essay Topic 3
What are the highlights and lowlights of George Martin's childhood, living in a modest flat and having limited access to formal musical training?
This section contains 1,672 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)