|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 4 opens with George Martin's discussion of what, and its relationship to sound and music?
2. At the time "All You Need Is Ears" was written, what equipment was used to alter the pitch of a human voice recording?
3. What was unusual about the piano-playing skill of Irving Berlin, according to George Martin?
4. Who were the four Beatles who first met with George Martin in 1962?
5. During their first meeting with George Martin, who was the most talkative Beatle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate one anecdote from George Martin's early career at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3.
2. How did the Beatles come to change drummers before achieving success and fame, letting Pete Best go in favor of Ringo Starr?
3. Early in Chapter 1, why were the Beatles in Paris?
4. What is the strong warning behind George Martin's pun on a Beatles song, "All You Need Is Ears"?
5. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
6. How does George Martin compare the nature of singer/songwriters in the 1950s, when he started at Parlophone, with the situation in 1979, when "All You Need Is Ears" was published?
7. Why did the Beatles stand up George Martin in 1964, as described in Chapter 1?
8. Why did George Martin's childhood piano lessons end after only eight sessions, and how did he continue to improve his skill?
9. What was the danger behind the giggling fits of George Martin and Peter Sellers while recording comedy bits at the studio?
10. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the unique collaborative writing style employed by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. In the opinion of George Martin, how are their individual styles unique?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the major achievements of the Beatles, under the wing of George Martin, that make them the most successful and influential band in rock history? What barriers did they break, shocking at the time, that seem perhaps less radical in retrospect?
Essay Topic 3
Although "All You Need Is Ears" is an autobiography, the technique of foreshadowing is sometimes used by George Martin. For example, Chapters 1 and 2 both end with strong hints of what will happen in Chapter 3: the beginning of George Martin's career in the recording industry. What other examples of foreshadowing occur in the book?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)