|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their first meeting with George Martin, who was the most talkative Beatle?
2. According to George Martin in Chapter 2, what was the great challenge faced by classical composers in the late twentieth century?
3. George Martin's fairy godfather helped him to gain admission to which school?
4. During his first meeting with George Martin, the Beatles' manager said that everyone in Liverpool described them in what way?
5. Who created the Beatles' early image, featuring their famous haircuts?
Short Essay Questions
1. As described at the end of Chapter 5, what embarrassing and untactful conversation did George Martin have with the director of the Scottish Festival of Male Voice Praise?
2. How, according to George Martin in Chapter 6, did the role of a producer change from the 1950s to the time "All You Need Is Ears" was published, in 1979?
3. Why did George Martin have trouble plugging "Love Me Do", which only reached number 17 on the charts?
4. Briefly summarize George Martin's experience at the Guildhall School of Music.
5. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
6. Describe the circumstances that led George Martin to marry his first wife, Sheena, and the tragedy, which occurred shortly thereafter.
7. How does George Martin describe the collaborative writing style of John Lennon and Paul McCartney?
8. Why does George Martin value the inability of the human voice to stay completely in tune?
9. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what were George Martin's criticisms of what he described as a lovely villa in Portugal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does George Martin use the opening sequence in Chapter 1, featuring himself, the Beatles, and Brian Epstein in Paris, to lay the groundwork for their personalities and their relationships?
Essay Topic 2
What is the main theme or themes of "All You Need Is Ears"? Is it possible for an autobiography to have a cohesive theme, without some scheming, omissions, and altering of facts by the author?
Essay Topic 3
If George Martin can be said to be the protagonist of his own autobiographical story, who are the main antagonists? How did George Martin overcome obstacles set before him by those antagonists? Did he, or his character, learn and grow as the story progressed?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)