|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How, according to George Martin in Chapter 7, was the collaboration of Lennon and McCartney different from Rodgers and Hart?
2. Chapter 4 opens with George Martin's discussion of what, and its relationship to sound and music?
3. What sort of horn is featured in the Beatles song, "Penny Lane"?
4. According to George Martin in Chapter 4, why is a human voice more interesting than a synthesizer?
5. While George Martin's main instrument was the piano, what was his second instrument at music school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did George Martin's childhood piano lessons end after only eight sessions, and how did he continue to improve his skill?
2. What were George Martin's early life experiences with the piano and performing in general?
3. Briefly summarize George Martin's experience at the Guildhall School of Music.
4. What were George Martin's first impressions of the Beatles when he met them for the first time at Abbey Road?
5. How does George Martin compare the nature of singer/songwriters in the 1950s, when he started at Parlophone, with the situation in 1979, when "All You Need Is Ears" was published?
6. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
7. Early in Chapter 1, why were the Beatles in Paris?
8. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
9. Why was George Martin gradually disenchanted with EMI by the end of Chapter 3, and what happened when he announced his plan to accept a position elsewhere?
10. Why did George Martin have trouble plugging "Love Me Do", which only reached number 17 on the charts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the major achievements of the Beatles, under the wing of George Martin, that make them the most successful and influential band in rock history? What barriers did they break, shocking at the time, that seem perhaps less radical in retrospect?
Essay Topic 2
How did George Martin's experiences, recording classical artists and comedians at Parlophone, help to prepare him for his most famous role as the Beatles' producer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the formation of AIR. Detail the design and construction of its first studio in London and its residential studio in Montserrat.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)