|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regarding the family flat where George Martin lived as a boy, which of the following is true?
2. In Chapter 1, Eric Harrison advised George Martin to do what?
3. After attending a concert, George Martin met Eric Harrison, a musician who played which instrument?
4. Who was the sidekick of Jakka the space-boy, a comedic character recorded by George Martin?
5. At the end of Chapter 1, who offered George Martin a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Early in Chapter 1, why were the Beatles in Paris?
2. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 1, why did the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, call George Martin?
4. What was the danger behind the giggling fits of George Martin and Peter Sellers while recording comedy bits at the studio?
5. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
6. Why did the Beatles stand up George Martin in 1964, as described in Chapter 1?
7. What were George Martin's early life experiences with the piano and performing in general?
8. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
9. Why did George Martin have trouble plugging "Love Me Do", which only reached number 17 on the charts?
10. What was the atmosphere at Parlophone immediately following the retirement of Oscar Preuss, as described by George Martin at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the unique collaborative writing style employed by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. In the opinion of George Martin, how are their individual styles unique?
Essay Topic 2
Compile a list of famous names in "All You Need Is Ears" that may be unfamiliar to Americans or to younger readers. Create a brief byline for each person, indicating why he or she is famous. Should subsequent editions of the book contain footnotes, elaborating on these celebrities' claims to fame?
Essay Topic 3
What are the highlights and lowlights of George Martin's childhood, living in a modest flat and having limited access to formal musical training?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)