|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of George Martin's first band?
2. According to Chapter 2, what was George Martin's first real love in music?
3. The title of the book and of Chapter 4 is a pun on what Beatles song?
4. The composer Bach trudged hundreds of miles in a failed attempt to meet which other musician, according to George Martin in Chapter 2?
5. What was George Martin's day job at the BBC Music Library, after he finished music school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Beatles stand up George Martin in 1964, as described in Chapter 1?
2. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
3. Describe the flat George Martin grew up in, especially its sparse amenities.
4. How did the Beatles come to change drummers before achieving success and fame, letting Pete Best go in favor of Ringo Starr?
5. Why did George Martin have trouble plugging "Love Me Do", which only reached number 17 on the charts?
6. What were George Martin's early life experiences with the piano and performing in general?
7. What was George Martin's first musical love, and what did he do to understand its construction, as described in Chapter 2?
8. What was the danger behind the giggling fits of George Martin and Peter Sellers while recording comedy bits at the studio?
9. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
10. Describe the circumstances that led George Martin to marry his first wife, Sheena, and the tragedy, which occurred shortly thereafter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the major achievements of the Beatles, under the wing of George Martin, that make them the most successful and influential band in rock history? What barriers did they break, shocking at the time, that seem perhaps less radical in retrospect?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast George Martin's descriptions of alcohol consumption by many of the comedic and musical acts he recorded in his early days at Parlophone, with his descriptions of illegal drug use by the Beatles.
Essay Topic 3
Describe George Martin's impression of each of the Beatles, from first meeting through subsequent endeavors over the years.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)