|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described in Chapter 4, what are bass traps?
2. What happened to many of the labels at EMI, following World War II, according to George Martin?
3. Who first contacted George Martin in 1962 about a new group called the Beatles, as described in Chapter 7?
4. When George Martin was a child, his grandmother lived where?
5. What was the profession of George Martin's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what were George Martin's criticisms of what he described as a lovely villa in Portugal?
3. What was George Martin's opinion of the Beatles talent and potential, upon listening to the demo tapes brought to him by Brian Epstein?
4. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
5. Early in Chapter 1, why were the Beatles in Paris?
6. Describe the flat George Martin grew up in, especially its sparse amenities.
7. Briefly describe George Martin's first meeting with the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, in 1962.
8. Why did George Martin turn down Dick James' offer to take on a share in his company?
9. Why was George Martin gradually disenchanted with EMI by the end of Chapter 3, and what happened when he announced his plan to accept a position elsewhere?
10. Briefly outline George Martin's career experiences before beginning his ultimate career in the recording industry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the unique collaborative writing style employed by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. In the opinion of George Martin, how are their individual styles unique?
Essay Topic 2
What are the highlights and lowlights of George Martin's childhood, living in a modest flat and having limited access to formal musical training?
Essay Topic 3
Why does George Martin feel that pop music is not a step down from classical music? Why does he think pop musicians find it easier to succeed in modern times than classical musicians?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)