|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first contacted George Martin in 1962 about a new group called the Beatles, as described in Chapter 7?
2. Chapter 4 opens with George Martin's discussion of what, and its relationship to sound and music?
3. While George Martin's main instrument was the piano, what was his second instrument at music school?
4. During the Beatles' first recording session, George Martin wanted to replace which Beatle with a studio musician?
5. As explained by George Martin in Chapter 2, how is orchestration different from composition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did George Martin turn down Dick James' offer to take on a share in his company?
2. Early in Chapter 1, why were the Beatles in Paris?
3. What is the strong warning behind George Martin's pun on a Beatles song, "All You Need Is Ears"?
4. What were George Martin's first impressions of the Beatles when he met them for the first time at Abbey Road?
5. What was George Martin's opinion of the Beatles talent and potential, upon listening to the demo tapes brought to him by Brian Epstein?
6. Briefly summarize George Martin's experience at the Guildhall School of Music.
7. What was George Martin's first job at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3, and what were his primary duties?
8. How did the Beatles come to change drummers before achieving success and fame, letting Pete Best go in favor of Ringo Starr?
9. What was the atmosphere at Parlophone immediately following the retirement of Oscar Preuss, as described by George Martin at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. Why did George Martin's childhood piano lessons end after only eight sessions, and how did he continue to improve his skill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe George Martin's complex relationship with Debussy's "L'Après-midi d'une faune." How did the piece enhance his understanding of orchestration?
Essay Topic 2
Describe George Martin's impression of each of the Beatles, from first meeting through subsequent endeavors over the years.
Essay Topic 3
Although "All You Need Is Ears" is an autobiography, the technique of foreshadowing is sometimes used by George Martin. For example, Chapters 1 and 2 both end with strong hints of what will happen in Chapter 3: the beginning of George Martin's career in the recording industry. What other examples of foreshadowing occur in the book?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)