|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, George Martin mentioned his membership in what dramatic group?
2. Unbeknownst to George Martin, the Beatles wanted to replace one of their musicians with what new man?
3. On what date did the Beatles gather to record their first record?
4. "Love Me Do" hit what number in the charts?
5. After his first trip to America, Brian Epstein returned with a song written by which undiscovered composer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was George Martin gradually disenchanted with EMI by the end of Chapter 3, and what happened when he announced his plan to accept a position elsewhere?
2. Why, according to George Martin in Chapter 2, is pop music not a step down from classical?
3. How, according to George Martin in Chapter 6, did the role of a producer change from the 1950s to the time "All You Need Is Ears" was published, in 1979?
4. What were George Martin's early life experiences with the piano and performing in general?
5. What events led to the purchase of Capitol Records by Sir Joseph Lockwood, and what artists did EMI gain as a result of the purchase?
6. Describe the circumstances that led George Martin to marry his first wife, Sheena, and the tragedy, which occurred shortly thereafter.
7. Relate one anecdote from George Martin's early career at Parlophone, as described in Chapter 3.
8. What were George Martin's first impressions of the Beatles when he met them for the first time at Abbey Road?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what were George Martin's criticisms of what he described as a lovely villa in Portugal?
10. Why did George Martin turn down Dick James' offer to take on a share in his company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compile a list of famous names in "All You Need Is Ears" that may be unfamiliar to Americans or to younger readers. Create a brief byline for each person, indicating why he or she is famous. Should subsequent editions of the book contain footnotes, elaborating on these celebrities' claims to fame?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the phenomenon, as explained by George Martin in Chapter 6, of two stereo speakers creating the illusion of sound emanating from a central point, in addition to the left and right. How did he use this phenomenon to its best advantage in his recordings?
Essay Topic 3
Why does George Martin feel that pop music is not a step down from classical music? Why does he think pop musicians find it easier to succeed in modern times than classical musicians?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)