|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8-11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While recording the twenty-four-bar climax for "A Day in the Life", George Martin told the orchestra to disobey a fundamental rule by doing what?
(a) They were told not to sit in their usual seats, but to mix the different sections of the orchestra.
(b) They were told not to tune their instruments.
(c) They were told not to listen to their neighbors.
(d) He did not tell them to disobey a fundamental rule.
2. During the Beatles' first trip to America, why did Alan Livingston attempt to keep George Martin away from press conferences and the limelight?
(a) Alan Livingston thought George Martin's accent was too thick.
(b) Alan Livingston wanted to woo the Beatles away from George Martin.
(c) Alan Livingston had turned the Beatles down three separate times.
(d) Alan Livingston had turned the Beatles down four separate times.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 3, George Martin went to Abbey Road to visit which studio?
(c) Regal Zonophone.
4. In Chapter 8, in George Martin's layer cake metaphor, what was the fourth layer in a four-track recording?
(a) Extra bits, called sweetening.
(b) The lead voice.
(c) Harmonies, such as piano or guitar.
(d) Rhythm, such as drums and bass.
5. As described early in Chapter 8, what was one of the main reasons George Martin enjoyed working with the Beatles?
(a) Their success won him artistic freedom.
(b) He became a multi-millionaire.
(c) He earned the respect of his mentors.
(d) Their success allowed him to retire early.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to George Martin in Chapter 7, Ringo Starr's lack of technical skill was made up for by what?
2. "Love Me Do" hit what number in the charts?
3. As described in Chapter 10, the British Post Office prevented the Mastersingers from singing a choral version of what?
4. What is George Martin's explanation for the song title, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"?
5. How many years after George Martin returned to England from America, did he finally receive his requested studio upgrades from EMI?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)