|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fatal disease does Paul's dog have?
2. Who is the Divisional Inspector in charge of paper work for tuberculin testing?
3. What are the airmen put to work doing in a Shropshire town?
4. Who is Herriot's boss when he works at the stores?
5. What is the name of the farrowing pedigree sow who just gave birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the lesson James learned when working for farmer Edwards in Shropshire. Describe the tasks he was asked to do for the farmer. What did he do that proved his worth as a veterinarian?
2) What are the men in the R.A.F. told never to forget having with them? Why?
3) Retell the story about the calf who had eaten too much fruit. Under what circumstances did James have to go on this call? What was the reaction
of the farmer when James had finished operating on the calf?
Choose one of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe what happens when there is a rash of strychnine poisonings in Darrowby. Mention a dog or two who are poisoned. Which dog is the only dog to survive being poisoned? Do they catch the perpetrator?
2) Describe Mrs Beck. Describe why James and Tristan are annoyed with her. Describe her cat, Georgina and what she has to have done to her.
3) Who is Mr. Gilby? Describe him. What happens to him that makes him embarrassed?
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Tell about Oscar the cat. What was wrong with him. How did Tristan feel about him? Who became most attached to him?
2) Describe the peculiar and funny behavior of Oscar when he was living with Helen and James and also when he returned to his original owners.
3) Of the cats: Debbie, Buster, Georgina and Oscar who appear in the book, which one is your favorite. Explain why.
Choose two of the topics to write on.
This section contains 1,790 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)