|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The date 1666 is carved in stone above the front door of the farm. What happened on that date that the student remembers?
2. Where are the two childhood camping chums now while James is in the RAF in Shropshire?
3. What color is Nellie the big cow?
4. How old is the man with the dog in the tram?
5. Whose prize cow is saved from being slaughtered at the last minute?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James' relationship with the Ministry of Agriculture?
2. Describe Elijah Wenworth and the situation with his bull.
3. Who is Judy and what is extraordinary about her?
4. Who are Andrew Vine and Digger and what happens to them?
5. Why is does Tristan have to stay home all evening at Skeldale house?
6. What is stooking?
7. What new product does Mr. Barge sell to Siegfried and James and what is it supposed to do?
8. Describe James' visit to the Blackburn cow farm.
9. Describe Mr. Barge and his occupation.
10. Who is Mr. Potts and what does James do for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe foot and mouth disease. Why was it so feared? Which one of the farmers in the book had animals that got the disease?
2) Why did James think the Mrs. Bailey;s cow had foot and mouth disease? What did the cow actually have? How did it get the condition?
3) Who is Mr. Daggett? Did you like the character. Why? or Why not?
Choose two of the topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the time James had to castrate some pigs. What did James do with the scalpel that made one of the men tell a joke and how did he injure himself with the scalpel?
2) Describe the circumstance where James was flagged down by a car on his way home and asked to help a family dog named Benny. What was wrong with Benny? Was James able to help him? Give some details of the story.
3) Who was Mr. Stokill, an old farmer James met when he was new to the vet practice. Describe Stokill . What did James learn from him? What happened in the story?
Choose two of the three to write about.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe what happens when there is a rash of strychnine poisonings in Darrowby. Mention a dog or two who are poisoned. Which dog is the only dog to survive being poisoned? Do they catch the perpetrator?
2) Describe Mrs Beck. Describe why James and Tristan are annoyed with her. Describe her cat, Georgina and what she has to have done to her.
3) Who is Mr. Gilby? Describe him. What happens to him that makes him embarrassed?
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)