|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The date 1666 is carved in stone above the front door of the farm. What happened on that date that the student remembers?
2. What fatal disease does Paul's dog have?
3. How many hours of instruction does James have before he is sent up for his first solo flight?
4. What is the name of the farm family whose three members all talk at the same time?
5. Who prepares the food at the Winckfield flying school?
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe Mr. Grover the dentist and James' relationship with him. Where does he practice dentistry?
2) Describe Hector McDarroch the dentist and James' childhood experience with him. Where did he practice dentistry?
3) Describe "the butcher". What was James' experience with him. Where did he practice dentistry?
Choose two of the three topics to write about.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe what happens when there is a rash of strychnine poisonings in Darrowby. Mention a dog or two who are poisoned. Which dog is the only dog to survive being poisoned? Do they catch the perpetrator?
2) Describe Mrs Beck. Describe why James and Tristan are annoyed with her. Describe her cat, Georgina and what she has to have done to her.
3) Who is Mr. Gilby? Describe him. What happens to him that makes him embarrassed?
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Most of the book is comprised of flash backs and stories James recalls from his life in Darrowby. Do you think this is a good writing technique. Do you think James' memories of his life at Skeldale House and with Helen helped James to survive being in the military better? How? Do you
think that that might be a coping mechanism that POWs also use?
2) Of all the stories James tells in this book which one stands out to you as the funniest? Explain why.
3) Which of the stories in the book did you find the most moving or touching? Retell the story briefly and tell why you chose that one.
Choose two of the topics to write on.
This section contains 1,834 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)