|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What farmer is James allotted to help in Shropshire?
2. What kind of dog does Mr. Rington have?
3. What is farmer Blackburn's cow who is calving called?
4. What is the name of the latest product the pharmaceutical rep wants to sell Siegfried?
5. What is Tubby Pinder enthusiastic about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Most of the book is comprised of flash backs and stories James recalls from his life in Darrowby. Do you think this is a good writing technique. Do you think James' memories of his life at Skeldale House and with Helen helped James to survive being in the military better? How? Do you
think that that might be a coping mechanism that POWs also use?
2) Of all the stories James tells in this book which one stands out to you as the funniest? Explain why.
3) Which of the stories in the book did you find the most moving or touching? Retell the story briefly and tell why you chose that one.
Choose two of the topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe Mrs. Ainsworth, the woman James visits on two Christmas days. What pets does she own? What is the story of Debbie and Buster?
2) What phenomenon does James experience during the last weeks of Helen's pregnancy? How far away from Darrowby is he stationed? How does he break the military rules?
3) Describe James's visit to Mr. Beamish, the race horse trainer. How happens during the visit? How does James change Beamish's opinion of him?
Write on two of the three topics.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe what happens when there is a rash of strychnine poisonings in Darrowby. Mention a dog or two who are poisoned. Which dog is the only dog to survive being poisoned? Do they catch the perpetrator?
2) Describe Mrs Beck. Describe why James and Tristan are annoyed with her. Describe her cat, Georgina and what she has to have done to her.
3) Who is Mr. Gilby? Describe him. What happens to him that makes him embarrassed?
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 1,777 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)