|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brand of cigarette does Tristan smoke?
2. What is the name of the farm family whose three members all talk at the same time?
3. Where is the convalescent home where James goes after the hospital located?
4. What kind of dog does Mr. Rington have?
5. Who is the Divisional Inspector in charge of paper work for tuberculin testing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the awful night that James was called out to treat a calf with a stomach upset while he's fighting off a cold.
2. Why is does Tristan have to stay home all evening at Skeldale house?
3. Who are Andrew Vine and Digger and what happens to them?
4. After finding it difficult and extremely strenuous working for farmer Edwards, what does James do to prove his true worth?
5. What happens when David, a student considering becoming a veterinarian, goes on rounds with James?
6. Who is Roddy Travers?
7. What happens to the little stray dog that James and Siegfried observe begging in the marketplace?
8. Describe James' first solo flight.
9. When James is grounded in the R.A.F. what job do they give him?
10. What is stooking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the time James had to castrate some pigs. What did James do with the scalpel that made one of the men tell a joke and how did he injure himself with the scalpel?
2) Describe the circumstance where James was flagged down by a car on his way home and asked to help a family dog named Benny. What was wrong with Benny? Was James able to help him? Give some details of the story.
3) Who was Mr. Stokill, an old farmer James met when he was new to the vet practice. Describe Stokill . What did James learn from him? What happened in the story?
Choose two of the three to write about.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe Mr. Grover the dentist and James' relationship with him. Where does he practice dentistry?
2) Describe Hector McDarroch the dentist and James' childhood experience with him. Where did he practice dentistry?
3) Describe "the butcher". What was James' experience with him. Where did he practice dentistry?
Choose two of the three topics to write about.
Essay Topic 3
1) Tell about Oscar the cat. What was wrong with him. How did Tristan feel about him? Who became most attached to him?
2) Describe the peculiar and funny behavior of Oscar when he was living with Helen and James and also when he returned to his original owners.
3) Of the cats: Debbie, Buster, Georgina and Oscar who appear in the book, which one is your favorite. Explain why.
Choose two of the topics to write on.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)