|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical problem does the bullock have?
2. What condition did James have all his life that gives him a secret fear in the RAF?
3. What is Paul Cotterell's dog's name?
4. What are the names of the two inseparable dog friends in Chapter 31 and what breeds are they?
5. How does Herriot's vet experience come in handy with the farmer he is working for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Andrew Vine and Digger and what happens to them?
2. Describe James' first solo flight.
3. What is stooking?
4. What happens on the evening when Siegfried tells Tristan to stay at Skeldale house all evening?
5. Describe the awful night that James was called out to treat a calf with a stomach upset while he's fighting off a cold.
6. What is James' relationship with the Ministry of Agriculture?
7. What happens to the little stray dog that James and Siegfried observe begging in the marketplace?
8. Describe Mr. Mount and his relationship with Tristan.
9. What is the incident involving Mr. Moverley's expensive Ayreshire cow?
10. Who is Judy and what is extraordinary about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe Mr. Grover the dentist and James' relationship with him. Where does he practice dentistry?
2) Describe Hector McDarroch the dentist and James' childhood experience with him. Where did he practice dentistry?
3) Describe "the butcher". What was James' experience with him. Where did he practice dentistry?
Choose two of the three topics to write about.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the time James had to castrate some pigs. What did James do with the scalpel that made one of the men tell a joke and how did he injure himself with the scalpel?
2) Describe the circumstance where James was flagged down by a car on his way home and asked to help a family dog named Benny. What was wrong with Benny? Was James able to help him? Give some details of the story.
3) Who was Mr. Stokill, an old farmer James met when he was new to the vet practice. Describe Stokill . What did James learn from him? What happened in the story?
Choose two of the three to write about.
Essay Topic 3
1) Whose practice did James take over in Hensfield? Describe the difference between the veterinary practice in Hensfield with the one at Skeldale house.
2) What happened to Kim, the Golden Retriever? Who were his owners? Was James successful in helping him?
3) Describe James' experience at the Greyhound Racetract in Hensfleld.
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)