|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finally calms the sow down so that she'll suckle her 15 piglets?
2. What is the name of the wife of the vet who always get James drunk?
3. What is the name of the farmer who had a sick six-month-old calf?
4. How many children does the policeman who adopts the stray dog have and what are their sexes?
5. What is the name of the farrowing pedigree sow who just gave birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the awful night that James was called out to treat a calf with a stomach upset while he's fighting off a cold.
2. What happens on the evening when Siegfried tells Tristan to stay at Skeldale house all evening?
3. Describe Paul Cotterell and his dog and what happens to them.
4. Who is Granville Bennett and why does James dread coming together with him?
5. Describe Mr. Mount and his relationship with Tristan.
6. What is stooking?
7. What happens when David, a student considering becoming a veterinarian, goes on rounds with James?
8. Who are Andrew Vine and Digger and what happens to them?
9. What does James remember from his childhood about how he spent every weekend from Easter to October?
10. What does Siegfried chastise James about regarding an old-age pensioner and why does it turn our to be a paradox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Herriot mentions a number of times in his book his opinion of women. Do you remember his comments about women? Describe some of them. Did he regard women highly? Do you think he understood women? How close do you think he was to his wife? Explain why you think that.
2) Describe James Herriot's writing style. What did you like about the way he wrote his book? Are there any things about his writing style that you would criticize? What are they?
3) Of all the dogs you can remember from the book, which one was your favorite? Tell which one and why it was your favorite.
Choose two of the three topics to write on..
Essay Topic 2
1) After reading ALL THINGS WISE AND WONDERFUL, studying it and discussing it, would you like to read Herriot's other books in the same series? Why? Give reasons for decision. Why not? Explain why you wouldn't like to read any other books by Herriot.
2) Of the three veterinarians in the book, which one was your favorite? Explain why?
3) Has reading the book changed your attitude about animals? Veterinarians? The British? If so, explain why and how.
Choose two of the topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the lesson James learned when working for farmer Edwards in Shropshire. Describe the tasks he was asked to do for the farmer. What did he do that proved his worth as a veterinarian?
2) What are the men in the R.A.F. told never to forget having with them? Why?
3) Retell the story about the calf who had eaten too much fruit. Under what circumstances did James have to go on this call? What was the reaction
of the farmer when James had finished operating on the calf?
Choose one of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)