|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the veterinary student who accompanies James on his rounds?
2. What is the name of the owner of the dog in the tram?
3. Who is the Divisional Inspector in charge of paper work for tuberculin testing?
4. What is the name of the farmer who had a sick six-month-old calf?
5. What is the name of the elderly man James and Sam meet every day on their stroll by the river before lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the incident involving Mr. Moverley's expensive Ayreshire cow?
2. Who is Judy and what is extraordinary about her?
3. Describe Mr. Mount and his relationship with Tristan.
4. What is stooking?
5. After finding it difficult and extremely strenuous working for farmer Edwards, what does James do to prove his true worth?
6. Describe Elijah Wenworth and the situation with his bull.
7. Describe Paul Cotterell and his dog and what happens to them.
8. What does James remember from his childhood about how he spent every weekend from Easter to October?
9. Describe the Birtwhistles.
10. When James is grounded in the R.A.F. what job do they give him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the time James had to castrate some pigs. What did James do with the scalpel that made one of the men tell a joke and how did he injure himself with the scalpel?
2) Describe the circumstance where James was flagged down by a car on his way home and asked to help a family dog named Benny. What was wrong with Benny? Was James able to help him? Give some details of the story.
3) Who was Mr. Stokill, an old farmer James met when he was new to the vet practice. Describe Stokill . What did James learn from him? What happened in the story?
Choose two of the three to write about.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe what happens when there is a rash of strychnine poisonings in Darrowby. Mention a dog or two who are poisoned. Which dog is the only dog to survive being poisoned? Do they catch the perpetrator?
2) Describe Mrs Beck. Describe why James and Tristan are annoyed with her. Describe her cat, Georgina and what she has to have done to her.
3) Who is Mr. Gilby? Describe him. What happens to him that makes him embarrassed?
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe Mrs. Ainsworth, the woman James visits on two Christmas days. What pets does she own? What is the story of Debbie and Buster?
2) What phenomenon does James experience during the last weeks of Helen's pregnancy? How far away from Darrowby is he stationed? How does he break the military rules?
3) Describe James's visit to Mr. Beamish, the race horse trainer. How happens during the visit? How does James change Beamish's opinion of him?
Write on two of the three topics.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)