|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the baby Sidney's father do for a living?
2. What is the name of the old shepherd's dog who lay under the table at The Fox and Hounds?
3. What is the name of the man who comes to pick up Mr. Dakin's cow for the fatstock market?
4. What wakes up the RAF men each morning and at what time?
5. How much does the operation on the shepherd's dog cost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the owner of the Fox and Hounds? Describe the establishment.
2. What is the biggest problem James encounters during his stay in Hensfield?
3. Describe Johnny and his dog, Fergus.
4. Describe Mr. Grover, Herriot's dentist in Darrowby and Hector McDarroch the dentist James went to as a child in Glasgow.
5. What lesson does James learn from Mr. Stokill?
6. Who is Debbie and what is her fate?
7. When James graduates from AC2 what does he become and how do his wages change?
8. What is the cause of the continual deaths of young calves at Mr. Billing's farm?
9. What was wrong with the dog in the car that waved James down when he was on his way home from castrating pigs and how does James handle the problem?
10. What is James' reaction at the sight of his newborn baby, what does he do and why is it funny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe what happens when there is a rash of strychnine poisonings in Darrowby. Mention a dog or two who are poisoned. Which dog is the only dog to survive being poisoned? Do they catch the perpetrator?
2) Describe Mrs Beck. Describe why James and Tristan are annoyed with her. Describe her cat, Georgina and what she has to have done to her.
3) Who is Mr. Gilby? Describe him. What happens to him that makes him embarrassed?
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe Mr. Grover the dentist and James' relationship with him. Where does he practice dentistry?
2) Describe Hector McDarroch the dentist and James' childhood experience with him. Where did he practice dentistry?
3) Describe "the butcher". What was James' experience with him. Where did he practice dentistry?
Choose two of the three topics to write about.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe Mrs. Ainsworth, the woman James visits on two Christmas days. What pets does she own? What is the story of Debbie and Buster?
2) What phenomenon does James experience during the last weeks of Helen's pregnancy? How far away from Darrowby is he stationed? How does he break the military rules?
3) Describe James's visit to Mr. Beamish, the race horse trainer. How happens during the visit? How does James change Beamish's opinion of him?
Write on two of the three topics.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)