|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Helen's nurse?
2. What is the name of Mr. Bartles' dog who is poisoned by Strychnine?
3. What breed is Mr. Bartles' dog?
4. What is the name of Siegfried's college buddy whose vet practice Herriot takes for a couple of weeks?
5. What was the name of the man who was afraid James might accidentally castrate him because James was getting too close to his private parts with his scalpel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Beck.
2. Who is the owner of the Fox and Hounds? Describe the establishment.
3. When James graduates from AC2 what does he become and how do his wages change?
4. What are the two incidents that happen when Herriot is castrating pigs?
5. Describe Mr. Grover, Herriot's dentist in Darrowby and Hector McDarroch the dentist James went to as a child in Glasgow.
6. What is the biggest problem James encounters during his stay in Hensfield?
7. Who is Kim and what happens to him?
8. What is the cause of the continual deaths of young calves at Mr. Billing's farm?
9. Why are Cedric the dog and Con Fenton such a perfect match?
10. Who is "the Butcher" and what does he do to James?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Herriot mentions a number of times in his book his opinion of women. Do you remember his comments about women? Describe some of them. Did he regard women highly? Do you think he understood women? How close do you think he was to his wife? Explain why you think that.
2) Describe James Herriot's writing style. What did you like about the way he wrote his book? Are there any things about his writing style that you would criticize? What are they?
3) Of all the dogs you can remember from the book, which one was your favorite? Tell which one and why it was your favorite.
Choose two of the three topics to write on..
Essay Topic 2
1) After reading ALL THINGS WISE AND WONDERFUL, studying it and discussing it, would you like to read Herriot's other books in the same series? Why? Give reasons for decision. Why not? Explain why you wouldn't like to read any other books by Herriot.
2) Of the three veterinarians in the book, which one was your favorite? Explain why?
3) Has reading the book changed your attitude about animals? Veterinarians? The British? If so, explain why and how.
Choose two of the topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe Mr. Grover the dentist and James' relationship with him. Where does he practice dentistry?
2) Describe Hector McDarroch the dentist and James' childhood experience with him. Where did he practice dentistry?
3) Describe "the butcher". What was James' experience with him. Where did he practice dentistry?
Choose two of the three topics to write about.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)