|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man whose skinned knee James treats?
2. What disease does the poor prankster's dog have?
3. How long have James and Helen been married at the beginning of the book?
4. What cream does William Hulton swear by?
5. Which dog is the only dog in Darrowby to survive strychnine poisoning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience does James have with Ralph Beamish the racehorse trainer?
2. What is James' reaction at the sight of his newborn baby, what does he do and why is it funny?
3. Who is "the Butcher" and what does he do to James?
4. Who is Kim and what happens to him?
5. What does James use to attempt curing Rose, Mr. Bailes' cow, but who finally cures her and how?
6. Describe Mr. Gilby, the farmer, and mention an embarrassing thing that happens to him.
7. Who is the owner of the Fox and Hounds? Describe the establishment.
8. Who is Stewie Brannon and what does James do for him?
9. What are some thing Wesley Binks does to torment James?
10. Who are Albert Close and Mick and what is their story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Tell the story of the little stray dog Siegfried and James see begging in the market place. What happens to the dog? What do Siegfried, James and the policeman do?
2) What does James hate to do and isn't good at doing which involves the Ministry of Agriculture. Explain what almost happens because of one of James's clerical errors.
3) Describe what happens on James' first solo flight.
Choose two of the topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the time James had to castrate some pigs. What did James do with the scalpel that made one of the men tell a joke and how did he injure himself with the scalpel?
2) Describe the circumstance where James was flagged down by a car on his way home and asked to help a family dog named Benny. What was wrong with Benny? Was James able to help him? Give some details of the story.
3) Who was Mr. Stokill, an old farmer James met when he was new to the vet practice. Describe Stokill . What did James learn from him? What happened in the story?
Choose two of the three to write about.
Essay Topic 3
1) Who was Mr. Barge? Describe him and what he did.
2) What is Soothitt? What is it supposed to do? What does it actually do in the book?
3) How is the farrowing pig finally calmed down? What does the dog, Coco, do that drives his owner crazy?
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)