|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Herriot's Flight Commander?
2. What is the name of the owner of the Greyhound Track?
3. Which farmer's calves were dying mysteriously?
4. What is the name of Siegfried's college buddy whose vet practice Herriot takes for a couple of weeks?
5. Who is the first owner of Cedric?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the owner of the Fox and Hounds? Describe the establishment.
2. Who is Kim and what happens to him?
3. What does Shep Mr. Bailes' dog do when James comes that really annoys him and how does James finally handle it?
4. How far away is Darrowby from Scarsborough where James is and what does that tempt him to do. Describe briefly what he does.
5. What experience does James have with Ralph Beamish the racehorse trainer?
6. Describe Lord Hulton and the situation James faces with his sow who has a prolapsed uterus.
7. Who is Debbie and what is her fate?
8. What is the biggest problem James encounters during his stay in Hensfield?
9. What is the cause of the continual deaths of young calves at Mr. Billing's farm?
10. What was wrong with the dog in the car that waved James down when he was on his way home from castrating pigs and how does James handle the problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe what happens when there is a rash of strychnine poisonings in Darrowby. Mention a dog or two who are poisoned. Which dog is the only dog to survive being poisoned? Do they catch the perpetrator?
2) Describe Mrs Beck. Describe why James and Tristan are annoyed with her. Describe her cat, Georgina and what she has to have done to her.
3) Who is Mr. Gilby? Describe him. What happens to him that makes him embarrassed?
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe Paul Cotterel and his dog, Theo. What happens to both of them and why does it weigh so heavily on James?
2) Describe Andrew Vine and his dog, Digger. What happens to both of them and how does James help the situation?
3) Describe what happens when James takes a young student interested in becoming a vet on his rounds with him? Why is James chagrined?
Choose two of the topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the lesson James learned when working for farmer Edwards in Shropshire. Describe the tasks he was asked to do for the farmer. What did he do that proved his worth as a veterinarian?
2) What are the men in the R.A.F. told never to forget having with them? Why?
3) Retell the story about the calf who had eaten too much fruit. Under what circumstances did James have to go on this call? What was the reaction
of the farmer when James had finished operating on the calf?
Choose one of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)