|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The old shepherd's dog has what physical problem?
2. How does Herriot describe Helen's maternity dress?
3. What does the baby Sidney's father do for a living?
4. What are the names of the couple whose Golden Retriever is run over by a car?
5. Who is the owner of the Fox and Hounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James use to attempt curing Rose, Mr. Bailes' cow, but who finally cures her and how?
2. Describe Johnny and his dog, Fergus.
3. Who are Albert Close and Mick and what is their story?
4. What is James' reaction at the sight of his newborn baby, what does he do and why is it funny?
5. Describe Mr. Gilby, the farmer, and mention an embarrassing thing that happens to him.
6. What was wrong with the dog in the car that waved James down when he was on his way home from castrating pigs and how does James handle the problem?
7. Describe Lord Hulton and the situation James faces with his sow who has a prolapsed uterus.
8. Who is Stewie Brannon and what does James do for him?
9. Describe Mrs. Beck.
10. What is the biggest problem James encounters during his stay in Hensfield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What menial work does James have to do when he is grounded? What makes it particularly frustrating?
2) Who was Roddy Travers? What did he do for a living? What was strange about his dog?
3) Describe Mr. Duggleby. What animal did he raise and why? What did he constantly talk about?
Choose two of the topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) Herriot mentions a number of times in his book his opinion of women. Do you remember his comments about women? Describe some of them. Did he regard women highly? Do you think he understood women? How close do you think he was to his wife? Explain why you think that.
2) Describe James Herriot's writing style. What did you like about the way he wrote his book? Are there any things about his writing style that you would criticize? What are they?
3) Of all the dogs you can remember from the book, which one was your favorite? Tell which one and why it was your favorite.
Choose two of the three topics to write on..
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe what happens when there is a rash of strychnine poisonings in Darrowby. Mention a dog or two who are poisoned. Which dog is the only dog to survive being poisoned? Do they catch the perpetrator?
2) Describe Mrs Beck. Describe why James and Tristan are annoyed with her. Describe her cat, Georgina and what she has to have done to her.
3) Who is Mr. Gilby? Describe him. What happens to him that makes him embarrassed?
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)