|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hulton constantly fiddling with?
2. What is the name of Mr. Bailes' cow with the peculiar digestive ailment?
3. What is the name of the little female dog they tried to mate Cedric with?
4. Who is the young urchin who constantly plays pranks on James?
5. What is the only thing James can see when he's marching through the thick London fog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience does James have with Ralph Beamish the racehorse trainer?
2. Who is Stewie Brannon and what does James do for him?
3. Describe Johnny and his dog, Fergus.
4. Describe the incident James dreams about when first in London with the RAF.
5. Who is "the Butcher" and what does he do to James?
6. What is James' reaction at the sight of his newborn baby, what does he do and why is it funny?
7. What are the two incidents that happen when Herriot is castrating pigs?
8. Describe Mr. Gilby, the farmer, and mention an embarrassing thing that happens to him.
9. Describe Lord Hulton and the situation James faces with his sow who has a prolapsed uterus.
10. Who is Debbie and what is her fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Herriot mentions a number of times in his book his opinion of women. Do you remember his comments about women? Describe some of them. Did he regard women highly? Do you think he understood women? How close do you think he was to his wife? Explain why you think that.
2) Describe James Herriot's writing style. What did you like about the way he wrote his book? Are there any things about his writing style that you would criticize? What are they?
3) Of all the dogs you can remember from the book, which one was your favorite? Tell which one and why it was your favorite.
Choose two of the three topics to write on..
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the time James had to castrate some pigs. What did James do with the scalpel that made one of the men tell a joke and how did he injure himself with the scalpel?
2) Describe the circumstance where James was flagged down by a car on his way home and asked to help a family dog named Benny. What was wrong with Benny? Was James able to help him? Give some details of the story.
3) Who was Mr. Stokill, an old farmer James met when he was new to the vet practice. Describe Stokill . What did James learn from him? What happened in the story?
Choose two of the three to write about.
Essay Topic 3
1) Most of the book is comprised of flash backs and stories James recalls from his life in Darrowby. Do you think this is a good writing technique. Do you think James' memories of his life at Skeldale House and with Helen helped James to survive being in the military better? How? Do you
think that that might be a coping mechanism that POWs also use?
2) Of all the stories James tells in this book which one stands out to you as the funniest? Explain why.
3) Which of the stories in the book did you find the most moving or touching? Retell the story briefly and tell why you chose that one.
Choose two of the topics to write on.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)