|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the little farmer who is a strict Methodist and has a painful and embarrassing accident with a cow?
2. What special day was it when a boy played the prank of removing the coal cellar grating and James fell into it up to his chest?
3. How does Herriot describe Helen's maternity dress?
4. What is the name of Mrs. Beck's cat who is so difficult to control?
5. What breed of dog is the blind man's dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Kim and what happens to him?
2. Who is "the Butcher" and what does he do to James?
3. Why are Cedric the dog and Con Fenton such a perfect match?
4. Who is Stewie Brannon and what does James do for him?
5. What is James' reaction at the sight of his newborn baby, what does he do and why is it funny?
6. Describe the incident James dreams about when first in London with the RAF.
7. Describe Mrs. Rumney.
8. Describe Mr. Gilby, the farmer, and mention an embarrassing thing that happens to him.
9. What are some thing Wesley Binks does to torment James?
10. What is the cause of the continual deaths of young calves at Mr. Billing's farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the lesson James learned when working for farmer Edwards in Shropshire. Describe the tasks he was asked to do for the farmer. What did he do that proved his worth as a veterinarian?
2) What are the men in the R.A.F. told never to forget having with them? Why?
3) Retell the story about the calf who had eaten too much fruit. Under what circumstances did James have to go on this call? What was the reaction
of the farmer when James had finished operating on the calf?
Choose one of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) After reading ALL THINGS WISE AND WONDERFUL, studying it and discussing it, would you like to read Herriot's other books in the same series? Why? Give reasons for decision. Why not? Explain why you wouldn't like to read any other books by Herriot.
2) Of the three veterinarians in the book, which one was your favorite? Explain why?
3) Has reading the book changed your attitude about animals? Veterinarians? The British? If so, explain why and how.
Choose two of the topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Herriot mentions a number of times in his book his opinion of women. Do you remember his comments about women? Describe some of them. Did he regard women highly? Do you think he understood women? How close do you think he was to his wife? Explain why you think that.
2) Describe James Herriot's writing style. What did you like about the way he wrote his book? Are there any things about his writing style that you would criticize? What are they?
3) Of all the dogs you can remember from the book, which one was your favorite? Tell which one and why it was your favorite.
Choose two of the three topics to write on..
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)