|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the house where the veterinarians live?
2. What is the fee James gets for the only doctoring he had done on a human?
3. Who is the owner of the Fox and Hounds?
4. Who is the Flight Sergeant who surprises James at his niceness about the baby?
5. What is the name of the racehorse owner who doesn't trust Herriot to treat his horses and wants Farnon instead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience does James have with Ralph Beamish the racehorse trainer?
2. Who is "the Butcher" and what does he do to James?
3. Who is the owner of the Fox and Hounds? Describe the establishment.
4. Describe Johnny and his dog, Fergus.
5. How far away is Darrowby from Scarsborough where James is and what does that tempt him to do. Describe briefly what he does.
6. What does Shep Mr. Bailes' dog do when James comes that really annoys him and how does James finally handle it?
7. Describe Mr. Gilby, the farmer, and mention an embarrassing thing that happens to him.
8. What was wrong with the dog in the car that waved James down when he was on his way home from castrating pigs and how does James handle the problem?
9. Describe Mrs. Rumney.
10. What are the two incidents that happen when Herriot is castrating pigs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe what happens when there is a rash of strychnine poisonings in Darrowby. Mention a dog or two who are poisoned. Which dog is the only dog to survive being poisoned? Do they catch the perpetrator?
2) Describe Mrs Beck. Describe why James and Tristan are annoyed with her. Describe her cat, Georgina and what she has to have done to her.
3) Who is Mr. Gilby? Describe him. What happens to him that makes him embarrassed?
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe Mr. Grover the dentist and James' relationship with him. Where does he practice dentistry?
2) Describe Hector McDarroch the dentist and James' childhood experience with him. Where did he practice dentistry?
3) Describe "the butcher". What was James' experience with him. Where did he practice dentistry?
Choose two of the three topics to write about.
Essay Topic 3
1) Recount briefly the story James tells about Mr. Dakin and his cow, Blossom and why you liked it.
2) Describe Lord Hulton, one of the animal owners James visits. What is one of his characteristics? What is wrong with Lord Hulton's pig and is James successful in saving it?
3) Who is Charlie and what relationship does he have with Lord Hulton? What does Hulton rely on Charlie to always do for him?
Write on two of the three topics.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)