|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the old shepherd's dog who lay under the table at The Fox and Hounds?
2. Who is the Flight Sergeant who surprises James at his niceness about the baby?
3. When James was reading Black's Veterinary Dictionary he was reminded about castrating what animals?
4. What is the name of the estate owned by Mrs. Rumney?
5. What does Hulton give James to eat and drink after James had successfully operated on the mother pig?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Grover, Herriot's dentist in Darrowby and Hector McDarroch the dentist James went to as a child in Glasgow.
2. When James graduates from AC2 what does he become and how do his wages change?
3. Describe Mr. Gilby, the farmer, and mention an embarrassing thing that happens to him.
4. Describe the incident James dreams about when first in London with the RAF.
5. Who is "the Butcher" and what does he do to James?
6. How far away is Darrowby from Scarsborough where James is and what does that tempt him to do. Describe briefly what he does.
7. What does Shep Mr. Bailes' dog do when James comes that really annoys him and how does James finally handle it?
8. Who is Kim and what happens to him?
9. What does James use to attempt curing Rose, Mr. Bailes' cow, but who finally cures her and how?
10. Describe Johnny and his dog, Fergus.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the lesson James learned when working for farmer Edwards in Shropshire. Describe the tasks he was asked to do for the farmer. What did he do that proved his worth as a veterinarian?
2) What are the men in the R.A.F. told never to forget having with them? Why?
3) Retell the story about the calf who had eaten too much fruit. Under what circumstances did James have to go on this call? What was the reaction
of the farmer when James had finished operating on the calf?
Choose one of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe foot and mouth disease. Why was it so feared? Which one of the farmers in the book had animals that got the disease?
2) Why did James think the Mrs. Bailey;s cow had foot and mouth disease? What did the cow actually have? How did it get the condition?
3) Who is Mr. Daggett? Did you like the character. Why? or Why not?
Choose two of the topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Whose practice did James take over in Hensfield? Describe the difference between the veterinary practice in Hensfield with the one at Skeldale house.
2) What happened to Kim, the Golden Retriever? Who were his owners? Was James successful in helping him?
3) Describe James' experience at the Greyhound Racetract in Hensfleld.
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)