|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the operation on the shepherd's dog cost?
2. What was the name of the dog who got a ball stuck in his throat?
3. Which dog is the only dog in Darrowby to survive strychnine poisoning?
4. What wakes up the RAF men each morning and at what time?
5. According to vets in Herriot's time what is the worst sign of all in bovines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Albert Close and Mick and what is their story?
2. Why are Cedric the dog and Con Fenton such a perfect match?
3. Who is Stewie Brannon and what does James do for him?
4. Describe the incident James dreams about when first in London with the RAF.
5. What are the two incidents that happen when Herriot is castrating pigs?
6. What are some thing Wesley Binks does to torment James?
7. Who is "the Butcher" and what does he do to James?
8. Who is Debbie and what is her fate?
9. Describe Mr. Gilby, the farmer, and mention an embarrassing thing that happens to him.
10. What is James' reaction at the sight of his newborn baby, what does he do and why is it funny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Most of the book is comprised of flash backs and stories James recalls from his life in Darrowby. Do you think this is a good writing technique. Do you think James' memories of his life at Skeldale House and with Helen helped James to survive being in the military better? How? Do you
think that that might be a coping mechanism that POWs also use?
2) Of all the stories James tells in this book which one stands out to you as the funniest? Explain why.
3) Which of the stories in the book did you find the most moving or touching? Retell the story briefly and tell why you chose that one.
Choose two of the topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) Who was Mr. Barge? Describe him and what he did.
2) What is Soothitt? What is it supposed to do? What does it actually do in the book?
3) How is the farrowing pig finally calmed down? What does the dog, Coco, do that drives his owner crazy?
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the time James had to castrate some pigs. What did James do with the scalpel that made one of the men tell a joke and how did he injure himself with the scalpel?
2) Describe the circumstance where James was flagged down by a car on his way home and asked to help a family dog named Benny. What was wrong with Benny? Was James able to help him? Give some details of the story.
3) Who was Mr. Stokill, an old farmer James met when he was new to the vet practice. Describe Stokill . What did James learn from him? What happened in the story?
Choose two of the three to write about.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)