|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Helen's nurse?
2. What do James and Helen name the baby?
3. What was the name of the dog who got a ball stuck in his throat?
4. According to vets in Herriot's time what is the worst sign of all in bovines?
5. What is the name of the man who comes to pick up Mr. Dakin's cow for the fatstock market?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Kim and what happens to him?
2. Describe Mrs. Rumney.
3. What lesson does James learn from Mr. Stokill?
4. Describe Flight Sergeant Blackett and what surprises James about him.
5. How far away is Darrowby from Scarsborough where James is and what does that tempt him to do. Describe briefly what he does.
6. Describe Mr. Gilby, the farmer, and mention an embarrassing thing that happens to him.
7. Who is "the Butcher" and what does he do to James?
8. What does Shep Mr. Bailes' dog do when James comes that really annoys him and how does James finally handle it?
9. What is the biggest problem James encounters during his stay in Hensfield?
10. Who is Stewie Brannon and what does James do for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the time James had to castrate some pigs. What did James do with the scalpel that made one of the men tell a joke and how did he injure himself with the scalpel?
2) Describe the circumstance where James was flagged down by a car on his way home and asked to help a family dog named Benny. What was wrong with Benny? Was James able to help him? Give some details of the story.
3) Who was Mr. Stokill, an old farmer James met when he was new to the vet practice. Describe Stokill . What did James learn from him? What happened in the story?
Choose two of the three to write about.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe Mrs. Ainsworth, the woman James visits on two Christmas days. What pets does she own? What is the story of Debbie and Buster?
2) What phenomenon does James experience during the last weeks of Helen's pregnancy? How far away from Darrowby is he stationed? How does he break the military rules?
3) Describe James's visit to Mr. Beamish, the race horse trainer. How happens during the visit? How does James change Beamish's opinion of him?
Write on two of the three topics.
Essay Topic 3
1) Who was Mr. Barge? Describe him and what he did.
2) What is Soothitt? What is it supposed to do? What does it actually do in the book?
3) How is the farrowing pig finally calmed down? What does the dog, Coco, do that drives his owner crazy?
Choose two of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)