|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the little female dog they tried to mate Cedric with?
2. What is the name of the old shepherd's dog who lay under the table at The Fox and Hounds?
3. What is the name of Herriot's Flight Commander?
4. What kind of horse is it that James has to treat for the racehorse trainer?
(a) A bay gelding.
(b) A while mare.
(c) A grey filly.
(d) A black stallion.
5. How long have James and Helen been married at the beginning of the book?
(a) A few months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) 8 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the blind man's dog?
2. Who is the young urchin who constantly plays pranks on James?
3. Which dentist does James fear the least?
4. What is the name of the estate owned by Mrs. Rumney?
5. What wakes up the RAF men each morning and at what time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Beck.
2. Describe Mr. Gilby, the farmer, and mention an embarrassing thing that happens to him.
3. What does James use to attempt curing Rose, Mr. Bailes' cow, but who finally cures her and how?
4. Describe Lord Hulton and the situation James faces with his sow who has a prolapsed uterus.
5. Describe Mrs. Rumney.
6. How far away is Darrowby from Scarsborough where James is and what does that tempt him to do. Describe briefly what he does.
7. Who is Kim and what happens to him?
8. Who is Stewie Brannon and what does James do for him?
9. Describe the incident James dreams about when first in London with the RAF.
10. Describe Flight Sergeant Blackett and what surprises James about him.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)