|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do James and Helen name the baby?
2. Who is the lame veteran who comes to get Herriot because his dog has been poisoned also?
(a) Mr. Broadmore.
(b) Mr. Brookside.
(c) Mr. Boardman.
(d) Mr. Barrymore.
3. What is the name of Siegfried's college buddy whose vet practice Herriot takes for a couple of weeks?
(a) Joey Branquist.
(b) Louie Brayshaw.
(c) Jimmy Brennen.
(d) Stewie Brannon.
4. According to vets in Herriot's time what is the worst sign of all in bovines?
(a) Continual vomiting.
(b) They lose their appetitie completely.
(c) The eyes begin to retreat into the head.
(d) Extreme diarrhea.
5. What much does Herriot earn a day as Leading Aircraftsman?
(a) Seven and three pence.
(b) Six and four pence.
(c) Five and eight pence.
(d) Three shillings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the retired shepherd who sat in the same place every night at the Fox and Hounds?
2. What is Hulton constantly fiddling with?
3. What is the name of the dog that jumps out at Herriot without warning and scares him each time he comes on a call?
4. What is the name of the little farmer who is a strict Methodist and has a painful and embarrassing accident with a cow?
5. What wakes up the RAF men each morning and at what time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does James learn from Mr. Stokill?
2. What experience does James have with Ralph Beamish the racehorse trainer?
3. Describe Mrs. Rumney.
4. Describe Mr. Gilby, the farmer, and mention an embarrassing thing that happens to him.
5. Who is Stewie Brannon and what does James do for him?
6. What are some thing Wesley Binks does to torment James?
7. What are the two incidents that happen when Herriot is castrating pigs?
8. How far away is Darrowby from Scarsborough where James is and what does that tempt him to do. Describe briefly what he does.
9. Who is the owner of the Fox and Hounds? Describe the establishment.
10. Who are Albert Close and Mick and what is their story?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)