|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does the operation on the shepherd's dog cost?
(a) Two pounds.
(b) One pound.
(c) Twelve Shillings.
(d) One and a half pounds.
2. What special day was it when a boy played the prank of removing the coal cellar grating and James fell into it up to his chest?
(a) St. Patrick's Day.
(b) The day of the Darrowby Bicycle Race.
(c) Easter Sunday.
(d) The day of the Darrowby Gala.
3. What kind of breed are Mrs. Ainsworth's dogs?
(b) Basset hounds.
(d) Cairn terriers.
4. What do James and Helen name the baby?
5. What is the name of Siegfried's college buddy whose vet practice Herriot takes for a couple of weeks?
(a) Stewie Brannon.
(b) Joey Branquist.
(c) Louie Brayshaw.
(d) Jimmy Brennen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up owning Cedric?
2. What is the name of the man who comes to pick up Mr. Dakin's cow for the fatstock market?
3. What injury does the Golden Retriever have?
4. What wakes up the RAF men each morning and at what time?
5. Who is the young urchin who constantly plays pranks on James?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Gilby, the farmer, and mention an embarrassing thing that happens to him.
2. Describe Mrs. Rumney.
3. Describe Flight Sergeant Blackett and what surprises James about him.
4. How far away is Darrowby from Scarsborough where James is and what does that tempt him to do. Describe briefly what he does.
5. Describe Mr. Grover, Herriot's dentist in Darrowby and Hector McDarroch the dentist James went to as a child in Glasgow.
6. Describe the incident James dreams about when first in London with the RAF.
7. Who is the owner of the Fox and Hounds? Describe the establishment.
8. What was wrong with the dog in the car that waved James down when he was on his way home from castrating pigs and how does James handle the problem?
9. Why are Cedric the dog and Con Fenton such a perfect match?
10. What is the cause of the continual deaths of young calves at Mr. Billing's farm?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)