|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which dentist does James fear the least?
(a) Mr. McTavish.
(b) Mr. Dollinger.
(c) Mr. McDerroch.
(d) Mr. Grover.
2. What is the name of the cheerful blind man?
(a) Johnny Clifford
(b) Tommy Cliffdale
(c) Jimmy Harrison
(d) Joey Ford
3. What was the name of the dog who got a ball stuck in his throat?
4. According to vets in Herriot's time what is the worst sign of all in bovines?
(a) Extreme diarrhea.
(b) Continual vomiting.
(c) They lose their appetitie completely.
(d) The eyes begin to retreat into the head.
5. What is the most lasting memory James has of taking over the practice of Siegfried's college friend?
(a) Remaining honest at the GreyHound track.
(b) Being able to help a poor family have a vacation.
(c) Successfully saving the Golden Retriever's leg.
(d) Being able to operate on a rickety kitchen table.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have James and Helen been married at the beginning of the book?
2. Who is the other AC2 member of the RAF who scared James while he was waiting to see the RAF dentist?
3. What is the name of the little female dog they tried to mate Cedric with?
4. What breed of dog is the blind man's dog?
5. What is the name of Helen's nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Debbie and what is her fate?
2. How far away is Darrowby from Scarsborough where James is and what does that tempt him to do. Describe briefly what he does.
3. Why are Cedric the dog and Con Fenton such a perfect match?
4. Describe Lord Hulton and the situation James faces with his sow who has a prolapsed uterus.
5. Describe Mr. Gilby, the farmer, and mention an embarrassing thing that happens to him.
6. Who are Albert Close and Mick and what is their story?
7. Describe Mrs. Rumney.
8. Describe Johnny and his dog, Fergus.
9. Who is the owner of the Fox and Hounds? Describe the establishment.
10. What are the two incidents that happen when Herriot is castrating pigs?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)