|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herriot's flying instructor say is "very good indeed, really masterly" about Herriot's first solo flight?
(a) The "side slip".
(b) The fact that he found his way back after being lost.
(c) His quick return to the flying field.
(d) The smooth landing.
2. Who is Herriot's flying instructor?
(a) Flying Officer Cromwell.
(b) Flying Officer Hartley.
(c) Flying Officer Woodham.
(d) Flying Officer Worthham.
3. What is Tubby Pinder enthusiastic about?
(c) Horse racing.
4. What is the name of the elderly retired farmer's dog?
5. How long is James in the convalescent home?
(a) A month.
(b) A week.
(c) Two months.
(d) A fortnight.
6. What do Siegfried and James miss attending because they have to operate on a little dog who has been hit by a car?
(a) A banquet at the mayor's home.
(b) A Christmas party.
(c) The Hunt Ball.
(d) A horse race.
7. How old is Lucy?
8. Who is Raymond?
(a) A fellow vet in Darrowby.
(b) A neighbor of the man James visits.
(c) A college buddy of Tristan.
(d) A dog James treats.
9. What kind of bullock does Herriot treat in Chapter 23?
(a) A Gurnsey Cross.
(b) A Hereford Cross.
(c) A pure Jersey.
(d) A pure Holstein.
10. Who prepares the food at the Winckfield flying school?
(a) A retired chef and his assistant.
(b) Two grizzled old civilians who smoked pipes.
(c) Two of the wives of the RAF officers.
(d) Local women who wanted to serve their country.
11. How many hours of instruction does James have before he is sent up for his first solo flight?
(a) Fifteen hours.
(b) Nine hours.
(c) Twelve hours.
(d) Ten hours.
12. What farmer is James allotted to help in Shropshire?
(a) Farmer Edmonds.
(b) Farmer Edwards.
(c) Farmer Whyte.
(d) Farmer Henley.
13. What kind of dog is the elderly retired farmer's dog?
(a) A beagle.
(b) A sheepdog.
(c) A brittany spaniel.
(d) A cocker spaniel.
14. What is the name of the horse that has a serious case of canker?
15. What color are Helen's eyes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the farrowing pedigree sow who just gave birth?
2. What phrase makes Herriot's blood freeze when he sees it in Miss Harbottle's handwriting?
3. What is farmer Blackburn's cow who is calving called?
4. What does James have three cases of while he's going on rounds with the student?
5. What condition did James have all his life that gives him a secret fear in the RAF?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)