|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells James about Paul's suicide?
(a) Mr. Sedley.
(b) Mr. Sangster.
(c) Mr. Songster.
(d) Mr. Sandler.
2. What color are Helen's eyes?
3. What farmer is James allotted to help in Shropshire?
(a) Farmer Edwards.
(b) Farmer Edmonds.
(c) Farmer Henley.
(d) Farmer Whyte.
4. Which farmer who James visits to treat one of the animals has a very soft voice, almost a whisper?
(a) Elijah Wentworth.
(b) Jeremiah Livingsworth.
(c) Elias Weatherly.
(d) Elwood Westley.
5. What is erecting eight sheaves of corn without them falling down called?
6. What kind of a dog is Coco and how old is he?
(a) He's a five-month-old beagle.
(b) He's a three-month-old poodle.
(c) He's a six-month-old cocker spaniel.
(d) He's a two-month-old dachshund.
7. What job is James given when he works in the stores?
(a) Passing out boots and uniforms.
(b) Doing the accounting.
(c) Invoicing and organization.
(d) Sellling men's apparel.
8. What is the name of the formidable man whose daughter, Deborah, Tristan is dating in Chapter 30?
(a) Mr. Montague.
(b) Mr. Mountbatton.
(c) Mr. Montgomery.
(d) Mr. Mount.
9. How long is James in the convalescent home?
(a) A week.
(b) A month.
(c) A fortnight.
(d) Two months.
10. What is the name of the farrowing pedigree sow who just gave birth?
11. The date 1666 is carved in stone above the front door of the farm. What happened on that date that the student remembers?
(a) The Vikings invaded.
(b) The great fire of London.
(c) The Magna Carta was signed.
(d) William the Conqueror arrived.
12. How much does Herriot's vet friend say he's going to charge him for the small operation performed on his dog, Sam?
(a) Ten shillings.
(b) Ten pence.
(c) Ten guineas.
(d) Eight pence.
13. What is the name of the elderly man James and Sam meet every day on their stroll by the river before lunch?
(a) Mr. Pitts.
(b) Mr. Phelps.
(c) Mr. Potts.
(d) Mr. Potley.
14. What color is Nellie the big cow?
(a) Black and white.
15. What brand of cigarette does Tristan smoke?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dog is wheeled around in a pram?
2. Who is the Divisional Inspector in charge of paper work for tuberculin testing?
3. What does James have three cases of while he's going on rounds with the student?
4. What is the name of the farmer who had a sick six-month-old calf?
5. What does Herriot's flying instructor say is "very good indeed, really masterly" about Herriot's first solo flight?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)