|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What noble title does William Hulton bear?
2. What is the name of the Golden Retriever who is hit by a car?
3. What is the most lasting memory James has of taking over the practice of Siegfried's college friend?
(a) Remaining honest at the GreyHound track.
(b) Being able to help a poor family have a vacation.
(c) Successfully saving the Golden Retriever's leg.
(d) Being able to operate on a rickety kitchen table.
4. What is Hulton constantly fiddling with?
(a) His pipe.
(b) His jacket.
(c) His mustache.
(d) His hair.
5. What is the name of the housekeeper who takes care of James in the mill town where he is covering for Siegfried's friend?
(a) Mrs. McCoy.
(b) Mrs. Hollyfield.
(c) Mrs. Holroyd.
(d) Mrs. Hatfield.
6. What does the baby Sidney's father do for a living?
(a) He's a backer.
(b) He's a carpenter.
(c) He's a butcher.
(d) He's a Chimney Sweep.
7. What is the name of the woman in the next room to Helen who also just gave birth?
(a) Mrs. Greenburn.
(b) Mrs. Dewburn.
(c) Mrs. Dewinkle.
(d) Mrs. Dudley.
8. What are the names of the couple whose Golden Retriever is run over by a car?
(a) Peter and Marjorie Gilliard.
(b) John and Mary Gilford.
(c) Peter and Minerva Goddard.
(d) Jim and Lucy Gothworth.
9. What is the fee James gets for the only doctoring he had done on a human?
(a) A sixpence.
(b) Five shillings.
(c) Six shillings.
(d) Seven pence.
10. How long have James and Helen been married at the beginning of the book?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 8 months.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) A few months.
11. What was the name of the dog who got a ball stuck in his throat?
12. To what location are the RAF men marched every day for shooting practice?
(a) To the top of Castle Hill.
(b) To the athletic field of Waynesboro.
(c) To the beach of the town.
(d) To the crest of Cherry Hill.
13. The old shepherd's dog has what physical problem?
(a) Turned-in eyelids.
(b) lame leg.
(c) Broken ribs.
(d) Bladder infection.
14. What is the name of the dog adopted by the poor boy who plays pranks on James?
15. What wakes up the RAF men each morning and at what time?
(a) The officer in charge at 6:15 am.
(b) The kitchen workers at 5 am.
(c) A bugle at 5:30 am.
(d) The clattering of dustbin lids at 6 am.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mr. Dakin's old cow who returns home to her stall?
2. What is the name of Helen's nurse?
3. What is the name of the racehorse owner who doesn't trust Herriot to treat his horses and wants Farnon instead?
4. Who is the owner of the Fox and Hounds?
5. Where were James and his fellow RAF men billeted after being posted to their location?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)