|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long have James and Helen been married at the beginning of the book?
(a) A few months.
(b) 8 months.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) 1 year.
2. What is the name of Mr. Bailes' cow with the peculiar digestive ailment?
3. What kind of horse is it that James has to treat for the racehorse trainer?
(a) A bay gelding.
(b) A while mare.
(c) A black stallion.
(d) A grey filly.
4. What is the name of the estate owned by Mrs. Rumney?
(a) The Oaks.
(b) Chestnut Hill.
(c) The Willows.
(d) The Laurels.
5. What is the name of the woman in the next room to Helen who also just gave birth?
(a) Mrs. Dewburn.
(b) Mrs. Dewinkle.
(c) Mrs. Greenburn.
(d) Mrs. Dudley.
6. What disease does the poor prankster's dog have?
7. The old shepherd's dog has what physical problem?
(a) Bladder infection.
(b) Turned-in eyelids.
(c) lame leg.
(d) Broken ribs.
8. What is the name of the old shepherd's dog who lay under the table at The Fox and Hounds?
9. Who is the other AC2 member of the RAF who scared James while he was waiting to see the RAF dentist?
10. Who is the young urchin who constantly plays pranks on James?
(a) Wesley Binks.
(b) William Brink.
(c) Tommy Banks.
(d) Desmond Winks.
11. Which farmer's calves were dying mysteriously?
(a) Mr. Billing's.
(b) Mr. Biltmore's.
(c) Mr. Boswith's.
(d) Mr. Bethwick's.
12. What wakes up the RAF men each morning and at what time?
(a) The officer in charge at 6:15 am.
(b) A bugle at 5:30 am.
(c) The clattering of dustbin lids at 6 am.
(d) The kitchen workers at 5 am.
13. What do James and Helen name the baby?
14. When James was reading Black's Veterinary Dictionary he was reminded about castrating what animals?
15. How far away by bus is Herriot from his pregnant wife?
(a) Two and a half hours.
(b) Three and a half hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Four hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the dog adopted by the poor boy who plays pranks on James?
2. What is the nickname of the scary RAF dentist?
3. What is the name of Helen's nurse?
4. What does Mrs. Ainsworth name the little kitten brought to her by the dying mother cat on Christmas Day?
5. What was the name of the dog who got a ball stuck in his throat?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)