|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the man who comes to pick up Mr. Dakin's cow for the fatstock market?
(a) Humphrey Logan.
(b) Alfred Dodge.
(c) John Hodgson.
(d) Jack Dodson.
2. How much does the operation on the shepherd's dog cost?
(a) One pound.
(b) Twelve Shillings.
(c) Two pounds.
(d) One and a half pounds.
3. What is the name of the racehorse owner who doesn't trust Herriot to treat his horses and wants Farnon instead?
4. What is the fee James gets for the only doctoring he had done on a human?
(a) Seven pence.
(b) A sixpence.
(c) Five shillings.
(d) Six shillings.
5. Where is James posted after his training in London?
(a) Glasgow in Scotland.
(b) Scarborough in Yorkshire.
(c) Aberystwyth in Wales.
(d) Newquary in Cornwall.
6. Who is the other AC2 member of the RAF who scared James while he was waiting to see the RAF dentist?
7. What is the name of the man whose skinned knee James treats?
8. What are the names of the couple whose Golden Retriever is run over by a car?
(a) John and Mary Gilford.
(b) Peter and Minerva Goddard.
(c) Jim and Lucy Gothworth.
(d) Peter and Marjorie Gilliard.
9. When Herriot was 24 and new to the vet practice, whose bullock with a sore foot did he treat?
(a) Mr. Hewey's.
(b) Mr. Stokill's.
(c) Mr. Hargrove's.
(d) Mr. Hennessey's.
10. Who is the lame veteran who comes to get Herriot because his dog has been poisoned also?
(a) Mr. Boardman.
(b) Mr. Brookside.
(c) Mr. Broadmore.
(d) Mr. Barrymore.
11. What is the name of the Golden Retriever who is hit by a car?
12. To what location are the RAF men marched every day for shooting practice?
(a) To the athletic field of Waynesboro.
(b) To the beach of the town.
(c) To the crest of Cherry Hill.
(d) To the top of Castle Hill.
13. What profession does Jack Brimham have?
(a) He's a farmer.
(b) He's a shepherd.
(c) He's a builder.
(d) He's a preacher.
14. Who is Charlie?
(a) Hulton's prize horse.
(b) Hulton's favorite dog.
(c) Hulton's farm foreman.
(d) Hulton's prize pig.
15. Who cured Mr. Bailes' cow of her ailment?
(a) Tim Oakes.
(b) Jim Oakley.
(c) Larry Smith.
(d) Jerry Takley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hulton constantly fiddling with?
2. How long have James and Helen been married at the beginning of the book?
3. How does Herriot describe Helen's maternity dress?
4. What is the name of the blind man's dog?
5. What special day was it when a boy played the prank of removing the coal cellar grating and James fell into it up to his chest?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)