|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Frank's cows get sick?
2. What is Tristan able to get from the farmers that Herriot is not?
3. What does Siegfried do to get even with Walt Bennett?
4. Why did Herriot stop halfway through the lethal injection?
5. What did Frank Metcalf do as a profession for most of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Frank Metcalf and his new byre?
2. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
3. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
4. In what way is Herriot's work personality different from Ewan Ross's?
5. Explain why Mrs. Bond was displeased with Tristan.
6. What does Ted Buckle do to calm Herriot down and to get the bull back in his box?
7. Mr. Bentley arrives at the surgery to ask Herriot to come out and see his cow the next day. What is he doing that is odd and why?
8. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
9. Describe the Dimmock family.
10. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about epilepsy.
Part 1. What is epilepsy? What causes it and what does it look like?
Part 2. What are the historical interpretations and reactions to epilepsy?
Part 3. What management and cures are available for epilepsy?
Part 4. What is the appropriate response to a seizure?
Essay Topic 2
Several times during the book, Herriot talks about what it was like practicing in days before penicillin. Write an essay about the discover of penicillin and how it impacted the world.
Part 1. When and how was penicillin discovered?
Part 2. How did things change for the medical field due to penicillin?
Part 3. What are some treatments that are no longer used due to penicillin?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about staggers.
Part 1. What is staggers? What else is it called and who is affected?
Part 2. What are the biological roles of magnesium in the body?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis procedure for staggers?
Part 4. What are the steps to take for prevention and cure of staggers?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)