|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Dooley, the owner of Cindy, the little pregnant dog, want from Herriot?
2. Where was Percy's tumor?
3. What odd tools did Mr. Ross require to fix the animal?
4. What state is Toby in when Herriot makes his diagnosis and takes him to Granville Bennett?
5. What is Tristan able to get from the farmers that Herriot is not?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
2. Describe the byre that Frank Metcalf builds for his cows. How is it different from most local byres?
3. What call do Herriot and Helen go on when they leave the Daffodil Ball? What happens there?
4. Explain why all the town dogs were attracted to Percy, the little dog with the tumor.
5. Mr. Bentley arrives at the surgery to ask Herriot to come out and see his cow the next day. What is he doing that is odd and why?
6. How does Carmondy's "hands on" experience on cases go? Give examples of what happens.
7. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
8. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
9. After Herriot and Granville attend the lecture, why is it challenging to return home?
10. Describe the Dimmock family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In All Things Bright and Beautiful we hear about the draft horse being replaced by a tractor and see a vision of agricultural business as it was in the early 1900s. Farming has changed significantly in more ways than just the tractor since then.
Part 1. What are some of the major changes that agriculture has undergone over the last century?
Part 2. What are the effects of these changes? Include a discussion of social and economic effects as well as the effects on the land and the goods produced.
Part 3. Has there been a change in the trends in agriculture over the last decade? What are they and what direction are they headed?
Essay Topic 2
Who is James Herriot? Write an essay about the person behind James Herriot, Alf Wright.
Part 1. Write a short synopsis of the life and work of Alf Wright.
Part 2. What was the area like that he lived in? What was the nature like? Who were his neighbors and townspeople?
Part 3. What events took place in his lifetime that greatly impacted him?
Essay Topic 3
The books by James Herriot are a window into the world of what life was like for a country veterinarian in Yorkshire in the early 1900s. How different is this from the experience of veterinarians today?
Part 1. What are some of the major things that have changed in veterinary practice since the time of "All Things Bright and Beautiful?"
Part 2. What parts of Herriot's experiences are still being experienced by veterinarians today? What has not changed?
Part 3. What do you think that the most challenging parts of being a vet is now? What was it then?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)