|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herriot think is wrong with Toby, the cocker spaniel?
2. What characteristic caused Colonel Bosworth to treat his animals so well?
3. Why does the disease have such serious ramifications for Frank?
4. What has Mr. Kitson decided to do with the dying ewe in the corner?
5. Why did it take so long for Herriot and Granville to reach the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulty does Herriot have diagnosing Toby, the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring him to see? How does he finally manage to discover what is wrong?
2. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
3. Explain why Mrs. Bond was displeased with Tristan.
4. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
5. Explain what upset Herriot when he goes to trim Mrs. Tompkin's budgie's beak. What does he do about it?
6. What happens to Frank Metcalf and his new byre?
7. How does Carmondy's "hands on" experience on cases go? Give examples of what happens.
8. Describe the process that Herriot goes through to anesthetize Walt Bennet's horse. How does Siegfried participate?
9. Describe the Dimmock family.
10. Why was Herriot terrified after doing the tuberculin test on Mr. Dacre's bull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about tetanus, also known as lockjaw.
Part 1. What is tetanus? How do people or animals get it? Who is most at risk and where is it most common?
Part 2. What are the symptoms and pathophysiology of tetanus?
Part 3. What prevention is available and what cures?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on sulphonamides.
Part 1. How and when were they discovered? By who?
Part 2. How do they work and what do they treat?
Part 3. What effect did the use of sulphonamides have? What did they pave the way for?
Part 4. What diseases or afflictions have most been controlled by sulphonamides and antibiotics?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about canine distemper.
Part 1. What is canine distemper? What is it similar to?
Part 2. Who is at risk for canine distemper? How is it transmitted?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis procedure for canine distemper?
Part 4. What prevention and cure is available for canine distemper?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)