|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Bonzo, the first dog that Herriot sees for the Dimmocks?
2. How does Carmondy get dragged?
3. How does Herriot consume the meal served to him by the Horners?
4. What has Gyp never done in his life?
5. What does Herriot come to realize over time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mrs. Bond was displeased with Tristan.
2. Why is Miss Dooley distressed about her little dog Cindy? What is the root of the problem?
3. Mr. Bentley arrives at the surgery to ask Herriot to come out and see his cow the next day. What is he doing that is odd and why?
4. What call do Herriot and Helen go on when they leave the Daffodil Ball? What happens there?
5. How does Herriot's attitude about the English farmer change over the course of chapter twenty? Why does it change?
6. Describe the byre that Frank Metcalf builds for his cows. How is it different from most local byres?
7. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
8. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
9. What does Ted Buckle do to calm Herriot down and to get the bull back in his box?
10. What difficulty does Herriot have diagnosing Toby, the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring him to see? How does he finally manage to discover what is wrong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about epilepsy.
Part 1. What is epilepsy? What causes it and what does it look like?
Part 2. What are the historical interpretations and reactions to epilepsy?
Part 3. What management and cures are available for epilepsy?
Part 4. What is the appropriate response to a seizure?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about sheep dogs and sheep dog trials.
Part 1. Explain the roles of livestock guardian dogs and herding dogs.
Part 2. What breeds have traditionally been used for each? Why are they appropriate.
Part 3. Explain the training involved in herding dogs and the competitions such as sheep dog trials that measure it.
Essay Topic 3
Several times during the book, Herriot talks about what it was like practicing in days before penicillin. Write an essay about the discover of penicillin and how it impacted the world.
Part 1. When and how was penicillin discovered?
Part 2. How did things change for the medical field due to penicillin?
Part 3. What are some treatments that are no longer used due to penicillin?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)