|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring to Herriot?
2. What odd tools did Mr. Ross require to fix the animal?
3. Why does Mr. Dacre's bull pin Herriot against the boards?
4. How do Frank's cows get sick?
5. What is Herriot thinking of when he tries this last tactic to cure Penny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Frank Metcalf and his new byre?
2. How does Herriot feel after eating at the Horners? What lasting effect does it have on him?
3. Explain why Mrs. Bond was displeased with Tristan.
4. How does Herriot's attitude about the English farmer change over the course of chapter twenty? Why does it change?
5. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
6. Why does Roland Partridge decide to postpone as long as possible the surgery that Herriot recommends fro his little dog Percy? What possible affect did this delay have?
7. Describe the byre that Frank Metcalf builds for his cows. How is it different from most local byres?
8. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
9. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
10. Describe the Dimmock family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on sulphonamides.
Part 1. How and when were they discovered? By who?
Part 2. How do they work and what do they treat?
Part 3. What effect did the use of sulphonamides have? What did they pave the way for?
Part 4. What diseases or afflictions have most been controlled by sulphonamides and antibiotics?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about sheep dogs and sheep dog trials.
Part 1. Explain the roles of livestock guardian dogs and herding dogs.
Part 2. What breeds have traditionally been used for each? Why are they appropriate.
Part 3. Explain the training involved in herding dogs and the competitions such as sheep dog trials that measure it.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about staggers.
Part 1. What is staggers? What else is it called and who is affected?
Part 2. What are the biological roles of magnesium in the body?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis procedure for staggers?
Part 4. What are the steps to take for prevention and cure of staggers?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)