|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Herriot consume the meal served to him by the Horners?
2. What does Herriot think is wrong with Toby, the cocker spaniel?
3. How many cats does Mrs. Bond keep?
4. What characteristic caused Colonel Bosworth to treat his animals so well?
5. What is Tristan able to get from the farmers that Herriot is not?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Herriot feel after eating at the Horners? What lasting effect does it have on him?
2. What call do Herriot and Helen go on when they leave the Daffodil Ball? What happens there?
3. Why is Miss Dooley distressed about her little dog Cindy? What is the root of the problem?
4. Explain the relationship between Marmaduke "Duke" Skelton and Ewan Ross.
5. Describe the byre that Frank Metcalf builds for his cows. How is it different from most local byres?
6. Explain why Herriot thought it might be a good idea to sedate Penny to cure her gastroenteritis, and where he got that idea.
7. Why does Roland Partridge decide to postpone as long as possible the surgery that Herriot recommends fro his little dog Percy? What possible affect did this delay have?
8. Explain what upset Herriot when he goes to trim Mrs. Tompkin's budgie's beak. What does he do about it?
9. Describe the Dimmock family.
10. Why was Herriot terrified after doing the tuberculin test on Mr. Dacre's bull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tristan plays a prank on the town by taking a local legend and recreating a character from it as a ghost. Investigate your own area's past to find interesting local legends.
Part 1. Summarize the legend that existed near his town and what Tristan did as a joke.
Part 2. Research your area and find either local history or legend to find events of a similar nature.
Part 3. What did you discover about the past of your area that you did not previously know? What kind of people lived there? Are there characters from the past that would lend themselves to a prank such as Tristans? How aware of the past are the people in your community?
Essay Topic 2
Several times during the book, Herriot talks about what it was like practicing in days before penicillin. Write an essay about the discover of penicillin and how it impacted the world.
Part 1. When and how was penicillin discovered?
Part 2. How did things change for the medical field due to penicillin?
Part 3. What are some treatments that are no longer used due to penicillin?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on sulphonamides.
Part 1. How and when were they discovered? By who?
Part 2. How do they work and what do they treat?
Part 3. What effect did the use of sulphonamides have? What did they pave the way for?
Part 4. What diseases or afflictions have most been controlled by sulphonamides and antibiotics?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)