|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Herriot ever employ the strategy he learned from watching Tristan?
2. Who is Marmaduke "Duke" Skelton?
3. What characteristic caused Colonel Bosworth to treat his animals so well?
4. What chance does Herriot take before euthanizing Penny?
5. What is Gyp's response when he sees Sweep years later?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
2. How does Herriot feel after eating at the Horners? What lasting effect does it have on him?
3. Why does Roland Partridge decide to postpone as long as possible the surgery that Herriot recommends fro his little dog Percy? What possible affect did this delay have?
4. Mr. Bentley arrives at the surgery to ask Herriot to come out and see his cow the next day. What is he doing that is odd and why?
5. What difficulty does Herriot have diagnosing Toby, the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring him to see? How does he finally manage to discover what is wrong?
6. Describe the Dimmock family.
7. How does Carmondy's "hands on" experience on cases go? Give examples of what happens.
8. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
9. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
10. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about tetanus, also known as lockjaw.
Part 1. What is tetanus? How do people or animals get it? Who is most at risk and where is it most common?
Part 2. What are the symptoms and pathophysiology of tetanus?
Part 3. What prevention is available and what cures?
Essay Topic 2
In All Things Bright and Beautiful we hear about the draft horse being replaced by a tractor and see a vision of agricultural business as it was in the early 1900s. Farming has changed significantly in more ways than just the tractor since then.
Part 1. What are some of the major changes that agriculture has undergone over the last century?
Part 2. What are the effects of these changes? Include a discussion of social and economic effects as well as the effects on the land and the goods produced.
Part 3. Has there been a change in the trends in agriculture over the last decade? What are they and what direction are they headed?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about milk fever.
Part 1. What is milk fever? Who does it affect?
Part 2. What are the biological roles of calcium in the body?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis process for milk fever?
Part 4. What are the cures for milk fever? What treatments used to be used and how did they work?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)