|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Colonel Bosworth's reason for seeing Herriot?
2. Why does the disease have such serious ramifications for Frank?
3. Who owns the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring to Herriot?
4. What does Herriot come to realize over time?
5. Why does Mrs. Bond ask Herriot not to bring Tristan back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
2. How does Carmondy's "hands on" experience on cases go? Give examples of what happens.
3. In what way is Herriot's work personality different from Ewan Ross's?
4. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
5. After Herriot and Granville attend the lecture, why is it challenging to return home?
6. Describe the Dimmock family.
7. Explain the relationship between Marmaduke "Duke" Skelton and Ewan Ross.
8. Explain what upset Herriot when he goes to trim Mrs. Tompkin's budgie's beak. What does he do about it?
9. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
10. Why is Miss Dooley distressed about her little dog Cindy? What is the root of the problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about euthanasia.
Part 1. What is euthanasia? What are the different kinds of euthanasia?
Part 2.What criteria might you use in deciding when to euthanize a pet?
Part 3. What are the primary issues in the debate surrounding the morality of euthanasia in people?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about breeds and selective breeding.
Part 1. Why do we create specific breeds of animals or plants?
Part 2. What do we do to create those breeds? What are some practices in selective breeding?
Part 3. Give some examples of plants or animals that have modified and bred to suit a specific purpose. What traits were selected for and which ones were lost?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about sheep dogs and sheep dog trials.
Part 1. Explain the roles of livestock guardian dogs and herding dogs.
Part 2. What breeds have traditionally been used for each? Why are they appropriate.
Part 3. Explain the training involved in herding dogs and the competitions such as sheep dog trials that measure it.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)