|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mr. Bentley acting strangely?
2. How many cats does Mrs. Bond keep?
3. What is Gyp's response when he sees Sweep years later?
4. What was wrong with Mr. Thwaite's cow?
5. What saves Herriot from being squashed by Mr. Dacre's bull?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Herriot terrified after doing the tuberculin test on Mr. Dacre's bull?
2. Explain why all the town dogs were attracted to Percy, the little dog with the tumor.
3. What call do Herriot and Helen go on when they leave the Daffodil Ball? What happens there?
4. How does Carmondy's "hands on" experience on cases go? Give examples of what happens.
5. Why does Roland Partridge decide to postpone as long as possible the surgery that Herriot recommends fro his little dog Percy? What possible affect did this delay have?
6. What difficulty does Herriot have diagnosing Toby, the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring him to see? How does he finally manage to discover what is wrong?
7. What does Ted Buckle do to calm Herriot down and to get the bull back in his box?
8. How does Herriot's attitude about the English farmer change over the course of chapter twenty? Why does it change?
9. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
10. Describe the process that Herriot goes through to anesthetize Walt Bennet's horse. How does Siegfried participate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on sulphonamides.
Part 1. How and when were they discovered? By who?
Part 2. How do they work and what do they treat?
Part 3. What effect did the use of sulphonamides have? What did they pave the way for?
Part 4. What diseases or afflictions have most been controlled by sulphonamides and antibiotics?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about brucellosis.
Part 1. What is the history of our understanding of brucellosis? What are some of the names it picked up along the way and why?
Part 2.What is brucellosis and how does it affect people or animals?
Part 3. What are the steps to prevent or cure brucellosis?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about epilepsy.
Part 1. What is epilepsy? What causes it and what does it look like?
Part 2. What are the historical interpretations and reactions to epilepsy?
Part 3. What management and cures are available for epilepsy?
Part 4. What is the appropriate response to a seizure?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)