|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Dacre's bull pin Herriot against the boards?
2. What does Herriot think about the new byre that Frank Metcalf has built?
3. What does Herriot think might have caused Kitson's dying ewe to recover?
4. Why did Herriot stop halfway through the lethal injection?
5. What is wrong with Bonzo, the first dog that Herriot sees for the Dimmocks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carmondy's "hands on" experience on cases go? Give examples of what happens.
2. What call do Herriot and Helen go on when they leave the Daffodil Ball? What happens there?
3. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
4. Mr. Bentley arrives at the surgery to ask Herriot to come out and see his cow the next day. What is he doing that is odd and why?
5. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
6. Describe the Dimmock family.
7. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
8. Why does Roland Partridge decide to postpone as long as possible the surgery that Herriot recommends fro his little dog Percy? What possible affect did this delay have?
9. How does Herriot feel after eating at the Horners? What lasting effect does it have on him?
10. Explain what upset Herriot when he goes to trim Mrs. Tompkin's budgie's beak. What does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many things can go wrong in the reproductive cycles of livestock, especially in the time surrounding birth.
Part 1. What are some of the things that can go wrong during the birth of an animal?
Part 2. What are the signs that something is going wrong?
Part 3. What happens if left untreated and what can be done to fix the problem?
Part 4. How has the treatment for these problems changed or stayed the same since Herriot's time?
Essay Topic 2
Tristan plays a prank on the town by taking a local legend and recreating a character from it as a ghost. Investigate your own area's past to find interesting local legends.
Part 1. Summarize the legend that existed near his town and what Tristan did as a joke.
Part 2. Research your area and find either local history or legend to find events of a similar nature.
Part 3. What did you discover about the past of your area that you did not previously know? What kind of people lived there? Are there characters from the past that would lend themselves to a prank such as Tristans? How aware of the past are the people in your community?
Essay Topic 3
The series of books by James Herriot are titled after and Anglican hymn called "All Things Bright and Beautiful."
Part 1. Provide a brief biography of Cecil Frances Alexander and her religious works.
Part 2. Discuss verse 3 and why it is not currently included in the hymn. What social structure did Cecil Frances Alexander belong to that would inspire such a verse?
Part 3. What are the possible sources of inspiration for the hymn? What do you think is likely?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)