|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What odd tools did Mr. Ross require to fix the animal?
2. Who did Herriot bring the animal to?
3. What did Frank Metcalf do as a profession for most of his life?
4. Despite his good lineage, why can't Gyp's owner breed Gyp?
5. Where was Percy's tumor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Roland Partridge decide to postpone as long as possible the surgery that Herriot recommends fro his little dog Percy? What possible affect did this delay have?
2. Describe the Dimmock family.
3. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
4. What difficulty does Herriot have diagnosing Toby, the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring him to see? How does he finally manage to discover what is wrong?
5. Describe the byre that Frank Metcalf builds for his cows. How is it different from most local byres?
6. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
7. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
8. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
9. Why is Miss Dooley distressed about her little dog Cindy? What is the root of the problem?
10. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The books by James Herriot are a window into the world of what life was like for a country veterinarian in Yorkshire in the early 1900s. How different is this from the experience of veterinarians today?
Part 1. What are some of the major things that have changed in veterinary practice since the time of "All Things Bright and Beautiful?"
Part 2. What parts of Herriot's experiences are still being experienced by veterinarians today? What has not changed?
Part 3. What do you think that the most challenging parts of being a vet is now? What was it then?
Essay Topic 2
Several times during the book, Herriot talks about what it was like practicing in days before penicillin. Write an essay about the discover of penicillin and how it impacted the world.
Part 1. When and how was penicillin discovered?
Part 2. How did things change for the medical field due to penicillin?
Part 3. What are some treatments that are no longer used due to penicillin?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about sheep dogs and sheep dog trials.
Part 1. Explain the roles of livestock guardian dogs and herding dogs.
Part 2. What breeds have traditionally been used for each? Why are they appropriate.
Part 3. Explain the training involved in herding dogs and the competitions such as sheep dog trials that measure it.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)