|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring to Herriot?
2. What takes an inordinate amount of time with Miss Dunn's pig?
3. Why is Herriot unable to comply with Miss Dooley's request?
4. What does Herriot have to return on schedule from the afternoon calls for?
5. What did Frank Metcalf do as a profession for most of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulty does Herriot have diagnosing Toby, the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring him to see? How does he finally manage to discover what is wrong?
2. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
3. After Herriot and Granville attend the lecture, why is it challenging to return home?
4. Explain why Mrs. Bond was displeased with Tristan.
5. What happens to Frank Metcalf and his new byre?
6. Mr. Bentley arrives at the surgery to ask Herriot to come out and see his cow the next day. What is he doing that is odd and why?
7. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
8. Describe the byre that Frank Metcalf builds for his cows. How is it different from most local byres?
9. How does Herriot feel after eating at the Horners? What lasting effect does it have on him?
10. Describe the process that Herriot goes through to anesthetize Walt Bennet's horse. How does Siegfried participate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about canine distemper.
Part 1. What is canine distemper? What is it similar to?
Part 2. Who is at risk for canine distemper? How is it transmitted?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis procedure for canine distemper?
Part 4. What prevention and cure is available for canine distemper?
Essay Topic 2
Several times during the book, Herriot talks about what it was like practicing in days before penicillin. Write an essay about the discover of penicillin and how it impacted the world.
Part 1. When and how was penicillin discovered?
Part 2. How did things change for the medical field due to penicillin?
Part 3. What are some treatments that are no longer used due to penicillin?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about breeds and selective breeding.
Part 1. Why do we create specific breeds of animals or plants?
Part 2. What do we do to create those breeds? What are some practices in selective breeding?
Part 3. Give some examples of plants or animals that have modified and bred to suit a specific purpose. What traits were selected for and which ones were lost?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)