|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Wiggin use more of Herriot's time than Herriot feels is necessary?
2. How does Herriot usually catch Mrs. Bond's cats?
3. Where did Herriot agree to go before returning home?
4. What characteristic caused Colonel Bosworth to treat his animals so well?
5. Where do Herriot and Helen go when they leave the Daffodil Ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
2. Mr. Bentley arrives at the surgery to ask Herriot to come out and see his cow the next day. What is he doing that is odd and why?
3. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
4. How does Carmondy's "hands on" experience on cases go? Give examples of what happens.
5. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
6. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
7. Why does Herriot become upset with Kitson when he goes to deliver some lambs for him?
8. Explain the relationship between Marmaduke "Duke" Skelton and Ewan Ross.
9. What call do Herriot and Helen go on when they leave the Daffodil Ball? What happens there?
10. In what way is Herriot's work personality different from Ewan Ross's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tristan plays a prank on the town by taking a local legend and recreating a character from it as a ghost. Investigate your own area's past to find interesting local legends.
Part 1. Summarize the legend that existed near his town and what Tristan did as a joke.
Part 2. Research your area and find either local history or legend to find events of a similar nature.
Part 3. What did you discover about the past of your area that you did not previously know? What kind of people lived there? Are there characters from the past that would lend themselves to a prank such as Tristans? How aware of the past are the people in your community?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about breeds and selective breeding.
Part 1. Why do we create specific breeds of animals or plants?
Part 2. What do we do to create those breeds? What are some practices in selective breeding?
Part 3. Give some examples of plants or animals that have modified and bred to suit a specific purpose. What traits were selected for and which ones were lost?
Essay Topic 3
Many things can go wrong in the reproductive cycles of livestock, especially in the time surrounding birth.
Part 1. What are some of the things that can go wrong during the birth of an animal?
Part 2. What are the signs that something is going wrong?
Part 3. What happens if left untreated and what can be done to fix the problem?
Part 4. How has the treatment for these problems changed or stayed the same since Herriot's time?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)