|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
2. After driving by the scene of the hauntings at night, what is Herriot surprised by when he returns to Skeldale house?
3. What does Herriot purchase in the auction house?
4. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
5. What happens when Herriot injects the cow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the rapport that Herriot has with Helen's father when he goes out to the Grange for Sunday tea.
2. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
3. Why did Cliff Tyreman have such fondness for Badger?
4. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
5. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
6. Explain what happened when Herriot tried to draw blood from the fully mature Monty.
7. What difficulty does Herriot have diagnosing Toby, the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring him to see? How does he finally manage to discover what is wrong?
8. Why does Roland Partridge decide to postpone as long as possible the surgery that Herriot recommends fro his little dog Percy? What possible affect did this delay have?
9. Describe what happens when Herriot trims Magnus' nails.
10. Explain the relationship between Marmaduke "Duke" Skelton and Ewan Ross.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about brucellosis.
Part 1. What is the history of our understanding of brucellosis? What are some of the names it picked up along the way and why?
Part 2.What is brucellosis and how does it affect people or animals?
Part 3. What are the steps to prevent or cure brucellosis?
Essay Topic 2
In All Things Bright and Beautiful we hear about the draft horse being replaced by a tractor and see a vision of agricultural business as it was in the early 1900s. Farming has changed significantly in more ways than just the tractor since then.
Part 1. What are some of the major changes that agriculture has undergone over the last century?
Part 2. What are the effects of these changes? Include a discussion of social and economic effects as well as the effects on the land and the goods produced.
Part 3. Has there been a change in the trends in agriculture over the last decade? What are they and what direction are they headed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the value of prompt treatment.
Part 1. What are the possible negative ramifications of waiting too long for an animal to be seen by a vet?
Part 2. What signs might an animal display that you might reasonably decide to wait to seek treatment?
Part 3. What symptoms might an animal display that indicates it is important to seek prompt veterinary care?
This section contains 2,690 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)