|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Herriot suspected of for his placement of the family pets winners?
2. What caused Herriot discomfort during chapter one?
3. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
4. What made survival for the Dalby family especially difficult?
5. After chastising Herriot and Tristan, how successful is Siegfried at examining Clancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
2. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
3. Explain why each of the vets battled with their conscience after seeing Clancy.
4. Explain why Herriot thought it might be a good idea to sedate Penny to cure her gastroenteritis, and where he got that idea.
5. Describe the rapport that Herriot has with Helen's father when he goes out to the Grange for Sunday tea.
6. Explain why all the town dogs were attracted to Percy, the little dog with the tumor.
7. Explain the incident and the outcome of the tumor on the cow at Mr. Kendall's. Why did Siegfried conceal what had happened and why did the others think it was funny?
8. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
9. At the end of chapter thirteen, Herriot gives us a glimpse what the Darby household is like twenty years later. How are the Darbys doing twenty years later?
10. Explain the solution Herriot finds for Mr. Pickersgill and his cow.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about staggers.
Part 1. What is staggers? What else is it called and who is affected?
Part 2. What are the biological roles of magnesium in the body?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis procedure for staggers?
Part 4. What are the steps to take for prevention and cure of staggers?
Essay Topic 2
The books by James Herriot are a window into the world of what life was like for a country veterinarian in Yorkshire in the early 1900s. How different is this from the experience of veterinarians today?
Part 1. What are some of the major things that have changed in veterinary practice since the time of "All Things Bright and Beautiful?"
Part 2. What parts of Herriot's experiences are still being experienced by veterinarians today? What has not changed?
Part 3. What do you think that the most challenging parts of being a vet is now? What was it then?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on sulphonamides.
Part 1. How and when were they discovered? By who?
Part 2. How do they work and what do they treat?
Part 3. What effect did the use of sulphonamides have? What did they pave the way for?
Part 4. What diseases or afflictions have most been controlled by sulphonamides and antibiotics?
This section contains 2,775 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)