|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could Herriot do medicinally for the cattle with husk?
2. What reception does Herriot receive from the lady and her poodle?
3. What does Herriot purchase in the auction house?
4. Who goes with Herriot to the Darrowby show?
5. What phrase does Mrs Donovan repeat to Herriot for years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the rapport that Herriot has with Helen's father when he goes out to the Grange for Sunday tea.
2. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
3. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
4. Explain the incident and the outcome of the tumor on the cow at Mr. Kendall's. Why did Siegfried conceal what had happened and why did the others think it was funny?
5. At the Darrowby show, what parameters does Herriot decide to use to judge the family pet competition? Why?
6. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
7. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
8. What was the experience of the stomach operation on Monty like for Herriot? Why?
9. Describe Granville Bennett.
10. Describe who Roy is and the state he is in when the inspector takes Herriot to him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about tetanus, also known as lockjaw.
Part 1. What is tetanus? How do people or animals get it? Who is most at risk and where is it most common?
Part 2. What are the symptoms and pathophysiology of tetanus?
Part 3. What prevention is available and what cures?
Essay Topic 2
Who is James Herriot? Write an essay about the person behind James Herriot, Alf Wright.
Part 1. Write a short synopsis of the life and work of Alf Wright.
Part 2. What was the area like that he lived in? What was the nature like? Who were his neighbors and townspeople?
Part 3. What events took place in his lifetime that greatly impacted him?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about sheep dogs and sheep dog trials.
Part 1. Explain the roles of livestock guardian dogs and herding dogs.
Part 2. What breeds have traditionally been used for each? Why are they appropriate.
Part 3. Explain the training involved in herding dogs and the competitions such as sheep dog trials that measure it.
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)