Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Granville Bennett?
2. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
3. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
4. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
5. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
2. Explain why each of the vets battled with their conscience after seeing Clancy.
3. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
4. Describe the Dimmock family.
5. Why was Herriot terrified after doing the tuberculin test on Mr. Dacre's bull?
6. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
7. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
8. Why does Herriot become upset with Kitson when he goes to deliver some lambs for him?
9. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
10. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the value of prompt treatment.
Part 1. What are the possible negative ramifications of waiting too long for an animal to be seen by a vet?
Part 2. What signs might an animal display that you might reasonably decide to wait to seek treatment?
Part 3. What symptoms might an animal display that indicates it is important to seek prompt veterinary care?
Essay Topic 2
Who is James Herriot? Write an essay about the person behind James Herriot, Alf Wright.
Part 1. Write a short synopsis of the life and work of Alf Wright.
Part 2. What was the area like that he lived in? What was the nature like? Who were his neighbors and townspeople?
Part 3. What events took place in his lifetime that greatly impacted him?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about sheep dogs and sheep dog trials.
Part 1. Explain the roles of livestock guardian dogs and herding dogs.
Part 2. What breeds have traditionally been used for each? Why are they appropriate.
Part 3. Explain the training involved in herding dogs and the competitions such as sheep dog trials that measure it.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)