|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was wrong with Harry Sumner's young bull?
2. Why does Herbert not have a mother?
3. What could Herriot do medicinally for the cattle with husk?
4. How is peace restored to Jock's life?
5. What happens when Herriot injects the cow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
2. Describe Granville Bennett.
3. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
4. What was the experience of the stomach operation on Monty like for Herriot? Why?
5. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
6. Explain why each of the vets battled with their conscience after seeing Clancy.
7. Describe the process Herriot goes through to diagnose the second batch of cows at the Darby farm.
8. What is the relationship between veterinarians like Herriot and Siegried with Granville Bennett?
9. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
10. Why did Cliff Tyreman have such fondness for Badger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tristan plays a prank on the town by taking a local legend and recreating a character from it as a ghost. Investigate your own area's past to find interesting local legends.
Part 1. Summarize the legend that existed near his town and what Tristan did as a joke.
Part 2. Research your area and find either local history or legend to find events of a similar nature.
Part 3. What did you discover about the past of your area that you did not previously know? What kind of people lived there? Are there characters from the past that would lend themselves to a prank such as Tristans? How aware of the past are the people in your community?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about staggers.
Part 1. What is staggers? What else is it called and who is affected?
Part 2. What are the biological roles of magnesium in the body?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis procedure for staggers?
Part 4. What are the steps to take for prevention and cure of staggers?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about epilepsy.
Part 1. What is epilepsy? What causes it and what does it look like?
Part 2. What are the historical interpretations and reactions to epilepsy?
Part 3. What management and cures are available for epilepsy?
Part 4. What is the appropriate response to a seizure?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)