|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reception does Herriot receive from the lady and her poodle?
2. Which of the following best describes Zoe, Granville's wife?
3. How long does it take Granville to work on Dinah?
4. Where does Herriot go when he leaves the Crumps?
5. What was Herriot suspected of for his placement of the family pets winners?
Short Essay Questions
1. How good is Herriot at buying furniture at house sales for the apartment? Explain your answer.
2. At the Darrowby show, what parameters does Herriot decide to use to judge the family pet competition? Why?
3. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
4. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
5. Describe who Roy is and the state he is in when the inspector takes Herriot to him.
6. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
7. In chapter one, Herriot greatly appreciates a benefit of his wife and married life. What is it?
8. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
9. Why did Cliff Tyreman have such fondness for Badger?
10. Describe the scholastic background of Mr. Pickersgill and how his education manifests itself at the time of the story in chapter five.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tristan plays a prank on the town by taking a local legend and recreating a character from it as a ghost. Investigate your own area's past to find interesting local legends.
Part 1. Summarize the legend that existed near his town and what Tristan did as a joke.
Part 2. Research your area and find either local history or legend to find events of a similar nature.
Part 3. What did you discover about the past of your area that you did not previously know? What kind of people lived there? Are there characters from the past that would lend themselves to a prank such as Tristans? How aware of the past are the people in your community?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about epilepsy.
Part 1. What is epilepsy? What causes it and what does it look like?
Part 2. What are the historical interpretations and reactions to epilepsy?
Part 3. What management and cures are available for epilepsy?
Part 4. What is the appropriate response to a seizure?
Essay Topic 3
The series of books by James Herriot are titled after and Anglican hymn called "All Things Bright and Beautiful."
Part 1. Provide a brief biography of Cecil Frances Alexander and her religious works.
Part 2. Discuss verse 3 and why it is not currently included in the hymn. What social structure did Cecil Frances Alexander belong to that would inspire such a verse?
Part 3. What are the possible sources of inspiration for the hymn? What do you think is likely?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)