|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Helen and Herriot need that he is designated to pick up at house sales?
2. In chapter one, Herriot returns to bed after a long night out. Where was he?
3. What do vets do for husk today?
4. What does Herriot learn about the Bamfords the day after he goes there?
5. What phrase does Mrs Donovan repeat to Herriot for years?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of chapter thirteen, Herriot gives us a glimpse what the Darby household is like twenty years later. How are the Darbys doing twenty years later?
2. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
3. How good is Herriot at buying furniture at house sales for the apartment? Explain your answer.
4. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
5. Explain why each of the vets battled with their conscience after seeing Clancy.
6. Explain the incident and the outcome of the tumor on the cow at Mr. Kendall's. Why did Siegfried conceal what had happened and why did the others think it was funny?
7. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
8. Describe the process Herriot goes through to diagnose the second batch of cows at the Darby farm.
9. What is the relationship between veterinarians like Herriot and Siegried with Granville Bennett?
10. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about brucellosis.
Part 1. What is the history of our understanding of brucellosis? What are some of the names it picked up along the way and why?
Part 2.What is brucellosis and how does it affect people or animals?
Part 3. What are the steps to prevent or cure brucellosis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the value of prompt treatment.
Part 1. What are the possible negative ramifications of waiting too long for an animal to be seen by a vet?
Part 2. What signs might an animal display that you might reasonably decide to wait to seek treatment?
Part 3. What symptoms might an animal display that indicates it is important to seek prompt veterinary care?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about breeds and selective breeding.
Part 1. Why do we create specific breeds of animals or plants?
Part 2. What do we do to create those breeds? What are some practices in selective breeding?
Part 3. Give some examples of plants or animals that have modified and bred to suit a specific purpose. What traits were selected for and which ones were lost?
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)