Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Granville Bennett?
2. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
3. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
4. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
5. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
2. Explain why each of the vets battled with their conscience after seeing Clancy.
3. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
4. Describe the Dimmock family.
5. Why was Herriot terrified after doing the tuberculin test on Mr. Dacre's bull?
6. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
7. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
8. Why does Herriot become upset with Kitson when he goes to deliver some lambs for him?
9. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
10. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
Write an essay about staggers.
Part 1. What is staggers? What else is it called and who is affected?
Part 2. What are the biological roles of magnesium in the body?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis procedure for staggers?
Part 4. What are the steps to take for prevention and cure of staggers?
Write an essay about canine distemper.
Part 1. What is canine distemper? What is it similar to?
Part 2. Who is at risk for canine distemper? How is it transmitted?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis procedure for canine distemper?
Part 4. What prevention and cure is available for canine distemper?
The series of books by James Herriot are titled after and Anglican hymn called "All Things Bright and Beautiful."
Part 1. Provide a brief biography of Cecil Frances Alexander and her religious works.
Part 2. Discuss verse 3 and why it is not currently included in the hymn. What social structure did Cecil Frances Alexander belong to that would inspire such a verse?
Part 3. What are the possible sources of inspiration for the hymn? What do you think is likely?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)