|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Granville Bennett?
2. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
3. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
4. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
5. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
2. Explain why each of the vets battled with their conscience after seeing Clancy.
3. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
4. Describe the Dimmock family.
5. Why was Herriot terrified after doing the tuberculin test on Mr. Dacre's bull?
6. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
7. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
8. Why does Herriot become upset with Kitson when he goes to deliver some lambs for him?
9. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
10. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
Essay Topic 1
The books by James Herriot are a window into the world of what life was like for a country veterinarian in Yorkshire in the early 1900s. How different is this from the experience of veterinarians today?
Part 1. What are some of the major things that have changed in veterinary practice since the time of "All Things Bright and Beautiful?"
Part 2. What parts of Herriot's experiences are still being experienced by veterinarians today? What has not changed?
Part 3. What do you think that the most challenging parts of being a vet is now? What was it then?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about canine distemper.
Part 1. What is canine distemper? What is it similar to?
Part 2. Who is at risk for canine distemper? How is it transmitted?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis procedure for canine distemper?
Part 4. What prevention and cure is available for canine distemper?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about milk fever.
Part 1. What is milk fever? Who does it affect?
Part 2. What are the biological roles of calcium in the body?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis process for milk fever?
Part 4. What are the cures for milk fever? What treatments used to be used and how did they work?
This section contains 2,714 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)