|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr Kendall give to Siegfried when they call to his ranch to see a cow?
2. Who goes with Herriot to the Darrowby show?
3. Who or what does Herriot end up prescribing a solution for that also cures the mastitis of Mr. Pickersgill's cow?
4. What two animals does Herriot treat or diagnose at the Darrowby show?
5. What made Ben Ashby rethink getting a closer look at Harry Sumner's heifer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Cliff Tyreman have such fondness for Badger?
2. At the end of chapter thirteen, Herriot gives us a glimpse what the Darby household is like twenty years later. How are the Darbys doing twenty years later?
3. How good is Herriot at buying furniture at house sales for the apartment? Explain your answer.
4. Explain what upset Herriot when he goes to trim Mrs. Tompkin's budgie's beak. What does he do about it?
5. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
6. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
7. After Herriot and Granville attend the lecture, why is it challenging to return home?
8. Explain why all the town dogs were attracted to Percy, the little dog with the tumor.
9. Describe the process Herriot goes through to diagnose the second batch of cows at the Darby farm.
10. What happens to Frank Metcalf and his new byre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the value of prompt treatment.
Part 1. What are the possible negative ramifications of waiting too long for an animal to be seen by a vet?
Part 2. What signs might an animal display that you might reasonably decide to wait to seek treatment?
Part 3. What symptoms might an animal display that indicates it is important to seek prompt veterinary care?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about tetanus, also known as lockjaw.
Part 1. What is tetanus? How do people or animals get it? Who is most at risk and where is it most common?
Part 2. What are the symptoms and pathophysiology of tetanus?
Part 3. What prevention is available and what cures?
Essay Topic 3
In many of the stories in "All Things Bright and Beautiful," there is a major challenge handling the animal enough to treat it medically. For example in chapter eighteen Herriot nearly gets severely injured by the bull Monty.
Part 1. What is the responsibility of the person who has decided to make veterinary practice their livelihood to be able to handle dangerous animals?
Part 2. What is the responsibility of the owner of the animal to make sure the veterinarian can safely and easily treat their animal?
Part 3. Is the care of livestock and farm animals it different than for household pets? Why or why not?
Part 4. If an accident were to occur resulting in injury, who is responsible?
Part 5. What other service people put their lives or well being at risk to do their jobs if someone else is ill-prepared? Should they have to?
This section contains 2,625 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)