|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing Herriot sees at the Darrowby show?
2. What do vets do for husk today?
3. Where do people report seeing the monk at night?
4. What animals does Herriot have to judge in the family pet competition?
5. What caused the eventual disappearance of the draught horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the rapport that Herriot has with Helen's father when he goes out to the Grange for Sunday tea.
2. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
3. What was the experience of the stomach operation on Monty like for Herriot? Why?
4. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
5. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
6. Describe Granville Bennett.
7. In chapter one, Herriot greatly appreciates a benefit of his wife and married life. What is it?
8. At the Darrowby show, what parameters does Herriot decide to use to judge the family pet competition? Why?
9. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
10. At the end of chapter thirteen, Herriot gives us a glimpse what the Darby household is like twenty years later. How are the Darbys doing twenty years later?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about breeds and selective breeding.
Part 1. Why do we create specific breeds of animals or plants?
Part 2. What do we do to create those breeds? What are some practices in selective breeding?
Part 3. Give some examples of plants or animals that have modified and bred to suit a specific purpose. What traits were selected for and which ones were lost?
Essay Topic 2
Several times during the book, Herriot talks about what it was like practicing in days before penicillin. Write an essay about the discover of penicillin and how it impacted the world.
Part 1. When and how was penicillin discovered?
Part 2. How did things change for the medical field due to penicillin?
Part 3. What are some treatments that are no longer used due to penicillin?
Essay Topic 3
The series of books by James Herriot are titled after and Anglican hymn called "All Things Bright and Beautiful."
Part 1. Provide a brief biography of Cecil Frances Alexander and her religious works.
Part 2. Discuss verse 3 and why it is not currently included in the hymn. What social structure did Cecil Frances Alexander belong to that would inspire such a verse?
Part 3. What are the possible sources of inspiration for the hymn? What do you think is likely?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)