|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
2. What happens when Herriot injects the cow?
3. What response does Mrs. Crump have to Mr. Crump offering Herriot some of his wine?
4. Why did Harry say that Monty was ungrateful?
5. What causes a cloud to darken Herriot's day a the Darrowby show?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
2. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
3. Explain the solution Herriot finds for Mr. Pickersgill and his cow.
4. Why did Cliff Tyreman have such fondness for Badger?
5. Explain what happened when Herriot tried to draw blood from the fully mature Monty.
6. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
7. What is the Darrowby show that Herriot goes to officiate at?
8. Describe who Roy is and the state he is in when the inspector takes Herriot to him.
9. What is the relationship between veterinarians like Herriot and Siegried with Granville Bennett?
10. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about sheep dogs and sheep dog trials.
Part 1. Explain the roles of livestock guardian dogs and herding dogs.
Part 2. What breeds have traditionally been used for each? Why are they appropriate.
Part 3. Explain the training involved in herding dogs and the competitions such as sheep dog trials that measure it.
Essay Topic 2
In many of the stories in "All Things Bright and Beautiful," there is a major challenge handling the animal enough to treat it medically. For example in chapter eighteen Herriot nearly gets severely injured by the bull Monty.
Part 1. What is the responsibility of the person who has decided to make veterinary practice their livelihood to be able to handle dangerous animals?
Part 2. What is the responsibility of the owner of the animal to make sure the veterinarian can safely and easily treat their animal?
Part 3. Is the care of livestock and farm animals it different than for household pets? Why or why not?
Part 4. If an accident were to occur resulting in injury, who is responsible?
Part 5. What other service people put their lives or well being at risk to do their jobs if someone else is ill-prepared? Should they have to?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on sulphonamides.
Part 1. How and when were they discovered? By who?
Part 2. How do they work and what do they treat?
Part 3. What effect did the use of sulphonamides have? What did they pave the way for?
Part 4. What diseases or afflictions have most been controlled by sulphonamides and antibiotics?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)