|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Herbert and the ewe end up together?
2. After all the horses were gone from Harland Grange, what animal replaced them?
3. How does Herbert stay alive without a mother?
4. Which of the following best describes Zoe, Granville's wife?
5. Who is Mrs. Donovan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why each of the vets battled with their conscience after seeing Clancy.
2. Describe Granville Bennett.
3. What procedure does Granville Bennett do on Dinah? How does it go? Why didn't Herriot want to do it?
4. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
5. In chapter one, Herriot greatly appreciates a benefit of his wife and married life. What is it?
6. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
7. Explain the solution Herriot finds for Mr. Pickersgill and his cow.
8. What is the relationship between veterinarians like Herriot and Siegried with Granville Bennett?
9. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
10. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about milk fever.
Part 1. What is milk fever? Who does it affect?
Part 2. What are the biological roles of calcium in the body?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis process for milk fever?
Part 4. What are the cures for milk fever? What treatments used to be used and how did they work?
Essay Topic 2
In All Things Bright and Beautiful we hear about the draft horse being replaced by a tractor and see a vision of agricultural business as it was in the early 1900s. Farming has changed significantly in more ways than just the tractor since then.
Part 1. What are some of the major changes that agriculture has undergone over the last century?
Part 2. What are the effects of these changes? Include a discussion of social and economic effects as well as the effects on the land and the goods produced.
Part 3. Has there been a change in the trends in agriculture over the last decade? What are they and what direction are they headed?
Essay Topic 3
Tristan plays a prank on the town by taking a local legend and recreating a character from it as a ghost. Investigate your own area's past to find interesting local legends.
Part 1. Summarize the legend that existed near his town and what Tristan did as a joke.
Part 2. Research your area and find either local history or legend to find events of a similar nature.
Part 3. What did you discover about the past of your area that you did not previously know? What kind of people lived there? Are there characters from the past that would lend themselves to a prank such as Tristans? How aware of the past are the people in your community?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)