|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Herriot discomfort during chapter one?
2. What does Granville Bennett do for Herriot?
3. After chastising Herriot and Tristan, how successful is Siegfried at examining Clancy?
4. What does Herriot learn about the Bamfords the day after he goes there?
5. What does Siegfried chastise Herriot and Tristan for in chapter six?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
2. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
3. Explain the solution Herriot finds for Mr. Pickersgill and his cow.
4. At the end of chapter thirteen, Herriot gives us a glimpse what the Darby household is like twenty years later. How are the Darbys doing twenty years later?
5. Describe the process Herriot goes through to diagnose the second batch of cows at the Darby farm.
6. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
7. At the Darrowby show, what parameters does Herriot decide to use to judge the family pet competition? Why?
8. Explain what happened when Herriot tried to draw blood from the fully mature Monty.
9. Describe Granville Bennett.
10. What was the experience of the stomach operation on Monty like for Herriot? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about breeds and selective breeding.
Part 1. Why do we create specific breeds of animals or plants?
Part 2. What do we do to create those breeds? What are some practices in selective breeding?
Part 3. Give some examples of plants or animals that have modified and bred to suit a specific purpose. What traits were selected for and which ones were lost?
Essay Topic 2
In many of the stories in "All Things Bright and Beautiful," there is a major challenge handling the animal enough to treat it medically. For example in chapter eighteen Herriot nearly gets severely injured by the bull Monty.
Part 1. What is the responsibility of the person who has decided to make veterinary practice their livelihood to be able to handle dangerous animals?
Part 2. What is the responsibility of the owner of the animal to make sure the veterinarian can safely and easily treat their animal?
Part 3. Is the care of livestock and farm animals it different than for household pets? Why or why not?
Part 4. If an accident were to occur resulting in injury, who is responsible?
Part 5. What other service people put their lives or well being at risk to do their jobs if someone else is ill-prepared? Should they have to?
Essay Topic 3
The series of books by James Herriot are titled after and Anglican hymn called "All Things Bright and Beautiful."
Part 1. Provide a brief biography of Cecil Frances Alexander and her religious works.
Part 2. Discuss verse 3 and why it is not currently included in the hymn. What social structure did Cecil Frances Alexander belong to that would inspire such a verse?
Part 3. What are the possible sources of inspiration for the hymn? What do you think is likely?
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)