Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Granville Bennett?
2. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
3. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
4. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
5. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
2. Explain why each of the vets battled with their conscience after seeing Clancy.
3. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
4. Describe the Dimmock family.
5. Why was Herriot terrified after doing the tuberculin test on Mr. Dacre's bull?
6. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
7. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
8. Why does Herriot become upset with Kitson when he goes to deliver some lambs for him?
9. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
10. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the value of prompt treatment.
Part 1. What are the possible negative ramifications of waiting too long for an animal to be seen by a vet?
Part 2. What signs might an animal display that you might reasonably decide to wait to seek treatment?
Part 3. What symptoms might an animal display that indicates it is important to seek prompt veterinary care?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about euthanasia.
Part 1. What is euthanasia? What are the different kinds of euthanasia?
Part 2.What criteria might you use in deciding when to euthanize a pet?
Part 3. What are the primary issues in the debate surrounding the morality of euthanasia in people?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about canine distemper.
Part 1. What is canine distemper? What is it similar to?
Part 2. Who is at risk for canine distemper? How is it transmitted?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis procedure for canine distemper?
Part 4. What prevention and cure is available for canine distemper?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)