|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the eventual disappearance of the draught horse?
2. What made Ben Ashby rethink getting a closer look at Harry Sumner's heifer?
3. How long does it take Granville to work on Dinah?
4. What do vets do for husk today?
5. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Cliff Tyreman have such fondness for Badger?
2. Describe Herriot's visit to the Ingledew farm in chapter one.
3. How good is Herriot at buying furniture at house sales for the apartment? Explain your answer.
4. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
5. At the end of chapter thirteen, Herriot gives us a glimpse what the Darby household is like twenty years later. How are the Darbys doing twenty years later?
6. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
7. At the Darrowby show, what parameters does Herriot decide to use to judge the family pet competition? Why?
8. What was the experience of the stomach operation on Monty like for Herriot? Why?
9. Describe Granville Bennett.
10. Describe the rapport that Herriot has with Helen's father when he goes out to the Grange for Sunday tea.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times during the book, Herriot talks about what it was like practicing in days before penicillin. Write an essay about the discover of penicillin and how it impacted the world.
Part 1. When and how was penicillin discovered?
Part 2. How did things change for the medical field due to penicillin?
Part 3. What are some treatments that are no longer used due to penicillin?
Essay Topic 2
Who is James Herriot? Write an essay about the person behind James Herriot, Alf Wright.
Part 1. Write a short synopsis of the life and work of Alf Wright.
Part 2. What was the area like that he lived in? What was the nature like? Who were his neighbors and townspeople?
Part 3. What events took place in his lifetime that greatly impacted him?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about breeds and selective breeding.
Part 1. Why do we create specific breeds of animals or plants?
Part 2. What do we do to create those breeds? What are some practices in selective breeding?
Part 3. Give some examples of plants or animals that have modified and bred to suit a specific purpose. What traits were selected for and which ones were lost?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)