|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
2. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
3. Where does Herriot go when he leaves the Crumps?
4. What phrase does Mrs Donovan repeat to Herriot for years?
5. What animal does Herriot place first in the Family Pets competition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
2. Explain the incident and the outcome of the tumor on the cow at Mr. Kendall's. Why did Siegfried conceal what had happened and why did the others think it was funny?
3. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
4. Why did Cliff Tyreman have such fondness for Badger?
5. In chapter one, Herriot greatly appreciates a benefit of his wife and married life. What is it?
6. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
7. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
8. What is the relationship between veterinarians like Herriot and Siegried with Granville Bennett?
9. At the Darrowby show, what parameters does Herriot decide to use to judge the family pet competition? Why?
10. How good is Herriot at buying furniture at house sales for the apartment? Explain your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about staggers.
Part 1. What is staggers? What else is it called and who is affected?
Part 2. What are the biological roles of magnesium in the body?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis procedure for staggers?
Part 4. What are the steps to take for prevention and cure of staggers?
Essay Topic 2
Several times during the book, Herriot talks about what it was like practicing in days before penicillin. Write an essay about the discover of penicillin and how it impacted the world.
Part 1. When and how was penicillin discovered?
Part 2. How did things change for the medical field due to penicillin?
Part 3. What are some treatments that are no longer used due to penicillin?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about milk fever.
Part 1. What is milk fever? Who does it affect?
Part 2. What are the biological roles of calcium in the body?
Part 3. What are the symptoms and diagnosis process for milk fever?
Part 4. What are the cures for milk fever? What treatments used to be used and how did they work?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)