|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
2. When Herriot goes walking through the vegetables to clear his mind, what does he hear?
3. What could Herriot do medicinally for the cattle with husk?
4. What do Granville and Herriot do while waiting for Dinah to wake up?
5. What was especially difficult about Herriot's purchase at the auction house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
2. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
3. Describe Herriot's visit to the Ingledew farm in chapter one.
4. Describe the process Herriot goes through to diagnose the second batch of cows at the Darby farm.
5. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
6. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
7. Describe who Roy is and the state he is in when the inspector takes Herriot to him.
8. Describe the scholastic background of Mr. Pickersgill and how his education manifests itself at the time of the story in chapter five.
9. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
10. Explain the solution Herriot finds for Mr. Pickersgill and his cow.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tristan plays a prank on the town by taking a local legend and recreating a character from it as a ghost. Investigate your own area's past to find interesting local legends.
Part 1. Summarize the legend that existed near his town and what Tristan did as a joke.
Part 2. Research your area and find either local history or legend to find events of a similar nature.
Part 3. What did you discover about the past of your area that you did not previously know? What kind of people lived there? Are there characters from the past that would lend themselves to a prank such as Tristans? How aware of the past are the people in your community?
Essay Topic 2
Several times during the book, Herriot talks about what it was like practicing in days before penicillin. Write an essay about the discover of penicillin and how it impacted the world.
Part 1. When and how was penicillin discovered?
Part 2. How did things change for the medical field due to penicillin?
Part 3. What are some treatments that are no longer used due to penicillin?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about euthanasia.
Part 1. What is euthanasia? What are the different kinds of euthanasia?
Part 2.What criteria might you use in deciding when to euthanize a pet?
Part 3. What are the primary issues in the debate surrounding the morality of euthanasia in people?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)