|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Walt Bennett do that angers Siegfried?
(a) Doubt his competence.
(b) Yell at him over the phone.
(c) Mistreat a horse.
(d) Ridicule him in front of other clients.
2. What is Tristan's response to having his foot stepped on by a cow?
(a) Cursing loudly.
(b) Adding a fee to the bill.
(c) Stoically going on without showing pain.
(d) Crawl away, dragging his whole leg uselessly.
3. Who is Sam?
(a) Helen's brother.
(b) A large great dane that lives in the neighborhood.
(c) Helen and Herriot's beagle.
(d) The Fleming's bull.
4. Who owns the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring to Herriot?
(a) Nellie Dimmock.
(b) Jimmy Dimmock.
(c) Mrs. Dimmock.
(d) The Dimmock's neighbor, Mr. Bass.
5. Does Herriot ever employ the strategy he learned from watching Tristan?
(a) Whenever he feels he needs a challenge.
(b) Only when he desperately needs to.
(c) All the time.
(d) No, he doesn't have the courage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Herriot believe is the true reason that Mr. Wilkin sold Sweep instead of Gyp?
2. What does Herriot think is wrong with Toby, the cocker spaniel?
3. What did the A.A man say to Herriot?
4. How did Mr. Partridge react to the mob of dogs?
5. What does Herriot do to remedy the situation about Peter, Mrs. Tompkin's budgie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mrs. Bond was displeased with Tristan.
2. Explain why all the town dogs were attracted to Percy, the little dog with the tumor.
3. In what way is Herriot's work personality different from Ewan Ross's?
4. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
5. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
6. Mr. Bentley arrives at the surgery to ask Herriot to come out and see his cow the next day. What is he doing that is odd and why?
7. Why is Miss Dooley distressed about her little dog Cindy? What is the root of the problem?
8. After Herriot and Granville attend the lecture, why is it challenging to return home?
9. What difficulty does Herriot have diagnosing Toby, the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring him to see? How does he finally manage to discover what is wrong?
10. Explain what upset Herriot when he goes to trim Mrs. Tompkin's budgie's beak. What does he do about it?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)