|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Mr. Kitson decided to do with the dying ewe in the corner?
(a) Do everything he can to save her.
(b) Call the knackerman.
(c) Butcher her that evening.
(d) Let her "take her chances" and see if she lives or dies.
2. What is Gyp's response when he sees Sweep years later?
(a) He runs to help him work sheep in the dog trial.
(b) He runs madly in circles.
(c) He barks.
(d) He has an epileptic fit.
3. How do Frank's cows get sick?
(a) Nobody knows.
(b) The byre was unsanitary.
(c) The pasture was contaminated.
(d) From a new cow Frank bought at market.
4. What is Tristan able to get from the farmers that Herriot is not?
5. What does Herriot do to remedy the situation about Peter, Mrs. Tompkin's budgie?
(a) He catches him with a towel.
(b) He has Mrs. Tompkin hold him.
(c) He runs to the store and buys another one just like him.
(d) He tapes his beak shut.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Frank Metcalf do as a profession for most of his life?
2. What job do Herriot and Siegfried do for Walt Bennett?
3. How did Mr. Kitson make the delivery that Herriot performs much more difficult?
4. What does Herriot think might have caused Kitson's dying ewe to recover?
5. What takes an inordinate amount of time with Miss Dunn's pig?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Dimmock family.
2. How does Herriot's attitude about the English farmer change over the course of chapter twenty? Why does it change?
3. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
4. Why does Roland Partridge decide to postpone as long as possible the surgery that Herriot recommends fro his little dog Percy? What possible affect did this delay have?
5. Explain why all the town dogs were attracted to Percy, the little dog with the tumor.
6. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
7. Mr. Bentley arrives at the surgery to ask Herriot to come out and see his cow the next day. What is he doing that is odd and why?
8. What call do Herriot and Helen go on when they leave the Daffodil Ball? What happens there?
9. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
10. After Herriot and Granville attend the lecture, why is it challenging to return home?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)