|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition is Helen is as Herriot plans to leave for the Air Force?
(a) She is devastated at his departure.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is ill with pneumonia.
(d) She is absorbed with the work she has to do at Heston Grange.
2. What does Herriot see Tristan manage to do?
(a) Get invited to three different dinners in the same day.
(b) Not show any signs of pain while working with a broken wrist.
(c) Get farmers to sneak bottles of whiskey into his car.
(d) Get a farmer to feed him tea while delivering a calf.
3. How does Herriot feel about eating fat on meat?
(a) He wishes Helen would cook with more fat.
(b) He craves it.
(c) He loathes it.
(d) He gets tired of it.
4. Why does Helen go with Herriot when he leaves the Daffodil Ball on his call?
(a) Richard Edmundson was drunk and she wanted to leave.
(b) She needed a lift home.
(c) He asked her if she wanted to.
(d) The call is her father's prize bull.
5. What job do Herriot and Siegfried do for Walt Bennett?
(a) Treat an abscess in an old workhorse.
(b) Geld a colt.
(c) Saving a colicing horse.
(d) Remove a tumor from a horse's eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herriot think about the new byre that Frank Metcalf has built?
2. What do the Kirby's do that Mr. Brown does not?
3. What dampens Herriot's spirits when he is attending the Daffodil Ball?
4. What do the Horners feed Herriot for breakfast one morning when they call him out early?
5. Why was Mr. Biggins reluctant to ask Herriot to look at his cow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ted Buckle do to calm Herriot down and to get the bull back in his box?
2. Explain what upset Herriot when he goes to trim Mrs. Tompkin's budgie's beak. What does he do about it?
3. How does Herriot's attitude about the English farmer change over the course of chapter twenty? Why does it change?
4. Why does Herriot become upset with Kitson when he goes to deliver some lambs for him?
5. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
6. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
7. After Herriot and Granville attend the lecture, why is it challenging to return home?
8. Describe the byre that Frank Metcalf builds for his cows. How is it different from most local byres?
9. In what way is Herriot's work personality different from Ewan Ross's?
10. How does Herriot feel after eating at the Horners? What lasting effect does it have on him?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)