|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Walt Bennett do that angers Siegfried?
(a) Doubt his competence.
(b) Mistreat a horse.
(c) Yell at him over the phone.
(d) Ridicule him in front of other clients.
2. What is wrong with Bonzo, the first dog that Herriot sees for the Dimmocks?
(a) He was hit by a car.
(b) He had cancer.
(c) He was poisoned.
(d) He was suffering from neglect.
3. Where do Herriot and Helen go when they leave the Daffodil Ball?
(a) After a long stop by the moonlit river, to Heston Grange.
(b) After a quick stop at Skeldale House, to a farm on the outskirts to see a bull.
(c) First to Skeldale House for tools and then to see a dog.
(d) Straight to Heston Grange, Helen's home.
4. What was wrong with Mr. Thwaite's cow?
(a) She delivered her uterus.
(b) She calf was stillborn.
(c) She had a severe copper deficiency .
(d) She had a broken leg.
5. What is Herriot thinking of when he tries this last tactic to cure Penny?
(a) Roy, the golden retriever.
(b) The Flaxton's little girl.
(c) Mr. Kitson's ewe.
(d) A chemistry lesson from high school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Throughout the beginning of chapter 20, what sound is present?
2. What did the A.A man say to Herriot?
3. What holiday is Herriot about to celebrate in chapter twenty?
4. As Penny, the poodle with gastroenteritis, get worse and worse, what does Herriot suspect is keeping her from getting better?
5. What is Tristan's response to having his foot stepped on by a cow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
2. How does Herriot feel after eating at the Horners? What lasting effect does it have on him?
3. After Herriot and Granville attend the lecture, why is it challenging to return home?
4. Why does Roland Partridge decide to postpone as long as possible the surgery that Herriot recommends fro his little dog Percy? What possible affect did this delay have?
5. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
6. What happens to Frank Metcalf and his new byre?
7. Why is Miss Dooley distressed about her little dog Cindy? What is the root of the problem?
8. Describe the Dimmock family.
9. Describe the byre that Frank Metcalf builds for his cows. How is it different from most local byres?
10. What does Ted Buckle do to calm Herriot down and to get the bull back in his box?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)