|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herriot have to return on schedule from the afternoon calls for?
(a) The farewell party for Siegfried.
(b) To medicate a sick dog.
(c) Dinner with the Hodgsons.
(d) Helen's doctors appointment.
2. Why is Herriot unable to comply with Miss Dooley's request?
(a) The puppies have not been born yet.
(b) The pregnancy is too far along.
(c) Cindy is not close enough to delivery.
(d) He does not have the time.
3. Why do Herriot and Siegfried spend all night talking at the beginning of chapter 41?
(a) They haven't seen each other in weeks.
(b) Helen is staying at her parents.
(c) Siegfried is leaving for the Air Force the next day.
(d) They have a lot of business they need to discuss.
4. Does Herriot ever employ the strategy he learned from watching Tristan?
(a) All the time.
(b) Only when he desperately needs to.
(c) Whenever he feels he needs a challenge.
(d) No, he doesn't have the courage.
5. How was Richard Carmondy different from the other students?
(a) He did not seem at all interested in veterinary science,
(b) He was not afraid to do the jobs that even Herriot cringed from doing.
(c) He had an air of superiority.
(d) He was lazy and unappreciative of the favor Herriot was doing for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What saves Herriot from being squashed by Mr. Dacre's bull?
2. What does Herriot come to realize over time?
3. What does Herriot go to see Boris for?
4. How does Herriot feel about eating fat on meat?
5. How do Frank's cows get sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carmondy's "hands on" experience on cases go? Give examples of what happens.
2. Explain why all the town dogs were attracted to Percy, the little dog with the tumor.
3. What difficulty does Herriot have diagnosing Toby, the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring him to see? How does he finally manage to discover what is wrong?
4. Describe the Dimmock family.
5. How does Herriot feel after eating at the Horners? What lasting effect does it have on him?
6. Why is Miss Dooley distressed about her little dog Cindy? What is the root of the problem?
7. Explain why Herriot thought it might be a good idea to sedate Penny to cure her gastroenteritis, and where he got that idea.
8. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
9. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
10. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)