|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job do Herriot and Siegfried do for Walt Bennett?
(a) Treat an abscess in an old workhorse.
(b) Saving a colicing horse.
(c) Geld a colt.
(d) Remove a tumor from a horse's eye.
2. What dampens Herriot's spirits when he is attending the Daffodil Ball?
(a) He gets called away to see a bull.
(b) The girl he is with is loud and rude.
(c) He sees Helen dancing with Richard Edmundson.
(d) Tristan is spending all his time with a girl and he's left all alone.
3. How does Carmondy get dragged?
(a) Holding onto the car when the brakes give out.
(b) He falls of a horse.
(c) He tries to catch a sheep.
(d) Holding onto a roped steer by himself.
4. What happened to Richard Carmondy on a call with Herriot?
(a) The farmer laughed at him.
(b) He openly contradicted Herriot infront of a farmer.
(c) He quit and decided to go home.
(d) He lost his dignity when a dog bit him on his buttocks.
5. Why does Mrs. Bond ask Herriot not to bring Tristan back?
(a) Boris took an instant disliking to him.
(b) Tristan was rude to her.
(c) Tristan got all the cats riled up chasing Boris.
(d) Tristan flirted with her daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Herriot agree to go before returning home?
2. What does Herriot think is wrong with Toby, the cocker spaniel?
3. How does Mr. Wiggin use more of Herriot's time than Herriot feels is necessary?
4. Throughout the beginning of chapter 20, what sound is present?
5. Despite his good lineage, why can't Gyp's owner breed Gyp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why all the town dogs were attracted to Percy, the little dog with the tumor.
2. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
3. Describe the process that Herriot goes through to anesthetize Walt Bennet's horse. How does Siegfried participate?
4. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
5. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
6. Explain the relationship between Marmaduke "Duke" Skelton and Ewan Ross.
7. How does Herriot's attitude about the English farmer change over the course of chapter twenty? Why does it change?
8. How does Carmondy's "hands on" experience on cases go? Give examples of what happens.
9. Explain why Herriot thought it might be a good idea to sedate Penny to cure her gastroenteritis, and where he got that idea.
10. What does Ted Buckle do to calm Herriot down and to get the bull back in his box?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)