|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herriot think is wrong with Toby, the cocker spaniel?
(a) He ate something bad.
(c) Nothing, he's just a runt.
(d) Internal infection.
2. What happened to Richard Carmondy on a call with Herriot?
(a) He quit and decided to go home.
(b) He lost his dignity when a dog bit him on his buttocks.
(c) The farmer laughed at him.
(d) He openly contradicted Herriot infront of a farmer.
3. What did Herriot like most about having students shadow him?
(a) He liked asking them about new advances in animal medicine.
(b) He enjoyed having someone to give the dirtier jobs to,
(c) Being amused by their lack of experience.
(d) Quizzing them on veterinary knowledge.
4. What did the A.A man say to Herriot?
(a) That he would have to detour down more windy road.
(b) That driving in the snow would be too dangerous.
(c) That the road they had driven the previous night was closed.
(d) That his tired were to bald to drive.
5. What has Mr. Kitson decided to do with the dying ewe in the corner?
(a) Butcher her that evening.
(b) Let her "take her chances" and see if she lives or dies.
(c) Call the knackerman.
(d) Do everything he can to save her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marmaduke "Duke" Skelton?
2. Despite his good lineage, why can't Gyp's owner breed Gyp?
3. Why didn't Herriot refuse the refills of whiskey and food?
4. What takes an inordinate amount of time with Miss Dunn's pig?
5. How was Richard Carmondy different from the other students?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Dimmock family.
2. Explain what upset Herriot when he goes to trim Mrs. Tompkin's budgie's beak. What does he do about it?
3. What difficulty does Herriot have diagnosing Toby, the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring him to see? How does he finally manage to discover what is wrong?
4. Why is Miss Dooley distressed about her little dog Cindy? What is the root of the problem?
5. Why does Roland Partridge decide to postpone as long as possible the surgery that Herriot recommends fro his little dog Percy? What possible affect did this delay have?
6. After Herriot and Granville attend the lecture, why is it challenging to return home?
7. Explain why Mrs. Bond was displeased with Tristan.
8. How does Herriot feel after eating at the Horners? What lasting effect does it have on him?
9. Explain why all the town dogs were attracted to Percy, the little dog with the tumor.
10. Why was Herriot terrified after doing the tuberculin test on Mr. Dacre's bull?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)