|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Herriot thinking of when he tries this last tactic to cure Penny?
(a) Roy, the golden retriever.
(b) Mr. Kitson's ewe.
(c) The Flaxton's little girl.
(d) A chemistry lesson from high school.
2. What does Miss Dooley, the owner of Cindy, the little pregnant dog, want from Herriot?
(a) A health certificate for all the puppies.
(b) A shot to make Cindy deliver her puppies.
(c) For Herriot to supervise the delivery.
(d) An abortion for Cindy.
3. How was Richard Carmondy different from the other students?
(a) He was lazy and unappreciative of the favor Herriot was doing for him.
(b) He did not seem at all interested in veterinary science,
(c) He had an air of superiority.
(d) He was not afraid to do the jobs that even Herriot cringed from doing.
4. What does Herriot think might have caused Kitson's dying ewe to recover?
(a) The care and love she received.
(b) The lamb for her to take care of.
(c) The antibiotics.
(d) Relief from the pain and suffering.
5. How late is Herriot by the end of the afternoon?
(a) He is under a half hour late.
(b) Not at all - he makes it just on time.
(c) He is three hours late.
(d) He has time to spare.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mr. Bentley acting strangely?
2. What do the Horners feed Herriot for breakfast one morning when they call him out early?
3. How did Mr. Kitson make the delivery that Herriot performs much more difficult?
4. Mr. Ross is upset and wants to leave the Thwaite farm when he hears what news?
5. Does Herriot ever employ the strategy he learned from watching Tristan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship between Marmaduke "Duke" Skelton and Ewan Ross.
2. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
3. Explain why Mrs. Bond was displeased with Tristan.
4. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
5. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
6. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
7. What call do Herriot and Helen go on when they leave the Daffodil Ball? What happens there?
8. After Herriot and Granville attend the lecture, why is it challenging to return home?
9. Why does Herriot become upset with Kitson when he goes to deliver some lambs for him?
10. What happens to Frank Metcalf and his new byre?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)