|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Mr. Kitson decided to do with the dying ewe in the corner?
(a) Let her "take her chances" and see if she lives or dies.
(b) Butcher her that evening.
(c) Do everything he can to save her.
(d) Call the knackerman.
2. Despite his good lineage, why can't Gyp's owner breed Gyp?
(a) Because he doesn't have Gyp's registration papers.
(b) Because Gyp has epilepsy.
(c) Because all his dogs are related to Gyp.
(d) Because Gyp injured himself in a way that prevents him from being bred.
3. Which of the following best characterizes Herriot's opinion of Carmondy at the end of their acquaintance?
(a) He was tired of his attitude.
(b) He thought he was comical.
(c) He liked him.
(d) He thought he was intolerable.
4. What does Herriot tell Mrs. Chapman as he leaves her house the night of the Daffodil Ball?
(a) None of the above.
(b) He thanks her for getting him out of the Ball.
(c) To not call him again at night unless it's an emergency.
(d) That Helen is his "young lady".
5. Why does Mr. Dacre's bull pin Herriot against the boards?
(a) To scratch and itch.
(b) Because Herriot poked him with a needle.
(c) He was happy to see him.
(d) His head was tied and he couldn't get to Herriot with his horns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Toby in when Herriot makes his diagnosis and takes him to Granville Bennett?
2. What does Siegfried tell Herriot his check is for?
3. What did Herriot like most about having students shadow him?
4. What does Herriot see Tristan manage to do?
5. What does Herriot think about the new byre that Frank Metcalf has built?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship between Marmaduke "Duke" Skelton and Ewan Ross.
2. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
3. Why was Herriot terrified after doing the tuberculin test on Mr. Dacre's bull?
4. How does Herriot's attitude about the English farmer change over the course of chapter twenty? Why does it change?
5. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
6. Describe the Dimmock family.
7. Why is Miss Dooley distressed about her little dog Cindy? What is the root of the problem?
8. Explain why all the town dogs were attracted to Percy, the little dog with the tumor.
9. How does Carmondy's "hands on" experience on cases go? Give examples of what happens.
10. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)