|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gyp's response when he sees Sweep years later?
(a) He runs to help him work sheep in the dog trial.
(b) He has an epileptic fit.
(c) He barks.
(d) He runs madly in circles.
2. Why does Mrs. Bond ask Herriot not to bring Tristan back?
(a) Tristan got all the cats riled up chasing Boris.
(b) Tristan was rude to her.
(c) Boris took an instant disliking to him.
(d) Tristan flirted with her daughter.
3. What did the A.A man say to Herriot?
(a) That driving in the snow would be too dangerous.
(b) That he would have to detour down more windy road.
(c) That the road they had driven the previous night was closed.
(d) That his tired were to bald to drive.
4. How many cats does Mrs. Bond keep?
(a) Many many cats both indoors and out.
(b) One indoor cat and five outdoor cats.
(c) Only Boris.
(d) Three indoor cats and three outdoor cats.
5. What does Miss Dooley, the owner of Cindy, the little pregnant dog, want from Herriot?
(a) A shot to make Cindy deliver her puppies.
(b) A health certificate for all the puppies.
(c) For Herriot to supervise the delivery.
(d) An abortion for Cindy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring to Herriot?
2. What did Herriot like most about having students shadow him?
3. Why was the conversation with Mr. Fryer frustrating for Herriot?
4. Which of the following best characterizes Herriot's opinion of Carmondy at the end of their acquaintance?
5. Why is Herriot unable to comply with Miss Dooley's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Dimmock family.
2. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
3. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
4. In what way is Herriot's work personality different from Ewan Ross's?
5. What does Ted Buckle do to calm Herriot down and to get the bull back in his box?
6. Why is Miss Dooley distressed about her little dog Cindy? What is the root of the problem?
7. Mr. Bentley arrives at the surgery to ask Herriot to come out and see his cow the next day. What is he doing that is odd and why?
8. Describe the process that Herriot goes through to anesthetize Walt Bennet's horse. How does Siegfried participate?
9. How does Carmondy's "hands on" experience on cases go? Give examples of what happens.
10. Describe the byre that Frank Metcalf builds for his cows. How is it different from most local byres?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)