|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Herriot refuse the refills of whiskey and food?
(a) Granville would have taken it personally.
(b) He enjoyed the taste too much to refuse.
(c) He was too hungry to bother.
(d) He knew it would be a long night.
2. What is Gyp's response when he sees Sweep years later?
(a) He has an epileptic fit.
(b) He runs to help him work sheep in the dog trial.
(c) He runs madly in circles.
(d) He barks.
3. Why does the disease have such serious ramifications for Frank?
(a) It was caused by the byre he built.
(b) It causes the cows to abort and not produce milk.
(c) The locals already doubted his ability.
(d) It kills the cattle.
4. Why was the conversation with Mr. Fryer frustrating for Herriot?
(a) Mr. Fryer would not stop cursing while explaining what was wrong.
(b) Mr. Fryer was consistently vague with his answers.
(c) Mr. Fryer was constantly busy so Herriot couldn't get him to commit to a time.
(d) Mr. Fryer's voice was high pitched and sometimes hard to understand.
5. Where was Percy's tumor?
(a) At the base of his tail.
(b) Above his left eye.
(c) His mouth.
(d) His testicle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Wiggin use more of Herriot's time than Herriot feels is necessary?
2. Who owns the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring to Herriot?
3. What reason does Herriot believe is the true reason that Mr. Wilkin sold Sweep instead of Gyp?
4. How does Herriot feel about eating fat on meat?
5. Why does Mrs. Bond ask Herriot not to bring Tristan back?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Herriot's work personality different from Ewan Ross's?
2. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
3. Explain why Mrs. Bond was displeased with Tristan.
4. Explain why all the town dogs were attracted to Percy, the little dog with the tumor.
5. What happens to Frank Metcalf and his new byre?
6. What difficulty does Herriot have diagnosing Toby, the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring him to see? How does he finally manage to discover what is wrong?
7. What does Ted Buckle do to calm Herriot down and to get the bull back in his box?
8. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
9. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
10. Explain what upset Herriot when he goes to trim Mrs. Tompkin's budgie's beak. What does he do about it?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)