|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herriot see Tristan manage to do?
(a) Get a farmer to feed him tea while delivering a calf.
(b) Get invited to three different dinners in the same day.
(c) Not show any signs of pain while working with a broken wrist.
(d) Get farmers to sneak bottles of whiskey into his car.
2. Who is Sam?
(a) Helen and Herriot's beagle.
(b) A large great dane that lives in the neighborhood.
(c) Helen's brother.
(d) The Fleming's bull.
3. How does Herriot feel about eating fat on meat?
(a) He gets tired of it.
(b) He craves it.
(c) He wishes Helen would cook with more fat.
(d) He loathes it.
4. What condition is Helen is as Herriot plans to leave for the Air Force?
(a) She is absorbed with the work she has to do at Heston Grange.
(b) She is ill with pneumonia.
(c) She is devastated at his departure.
(d) She is pregnant.
5. What did the A.A man say to Herriot?
(a) That driving in the snow would be too dangerous.
(b) That he would have to detour down more windy road.
(c) That his tired were to bald to drive.
(d) That the road they had driven the previous night was closed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herriot do to remedy the situation about Peter, Mrs. Tompkin's budgie?
2. Why is Herriot unable to comply with Miss Dooley's request?
3. What is Tristan's response to having his foot stepped on by a cow?
4. What is Gyp's response when he sees Sweep years later?
5. In chapter 39, what trait of Helen's does Herriot discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mr. Bentley arrives at the surgery to ask Herriot to come out and see his cow the next day. What is he doing that is odd and why?
2. What call do Herriot and Helen go on when they leave the Daffodil Ball? What happens there?
3. Explain what upset Herriot when he goes to trim Mrs. Tompkin's budgie's beak. What does he do about it?
4. Why does Roland Partridge decide to postpone as long as possible the surgery that Herriot recommends fro his little dog Percy? What possible affect did this delay have?
5. How does Herriot feel after eating at the Horners? What lasting effect does it have on him?
6. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
7. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
8. What does Ted Buckle do to calm Herriot down and to get the bull back in his box?
9. Why does Herriot become upset with Kitson when he goes to deliver some lambs for him?
10. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)