|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mistake does Herriot make each time he visits Miss Dooley?
(a) He arrives at the wrong time.
(b) He calls her by the wrong name.
(c) He misdiagnoses Cindy's condition.
(d) He forgets to bring the right drugs.
2. Throughout the beginning of chapter 20, what sound is present?
(a) The barking of the neighbor's dog.
(b) The sound of a choir singing,
(c) The laughter of children.
(d) The ringing of bells.
3. Why does Mr. Dacre's bull pin Herriot against the boards?
(a) Because Herriot poked him with a needle.
(b) He was happy to see him.
(c) To scratch and itch.
(d) His head was tied and he couldn't get to Herriot with his horns.
4. Who owns the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring to Herriot?
(a) Nellie Dimmock.
(b) Mrs. Dimmock.
(c) The Dimmock's neighbor, Mr. Bass.
(d) Jimmy Dimmock.
5. What do the Kirby's do that Mr. Brown does not?
(a) They offer Herriot something to eat and drink.
(b) They wish Herriot a Merry Christmas.
(c) They apologize for getting him up early.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Roland Partridge considered an unlikely character in Darrowby?
2. What does Herriot go to see Boris for?
3. Why were dogs flocking to Mr. Partridge's house?
4. What happens when Herriot tries to trim the beak of Mrs. Tompkin's budgie, Peter?
5. What did Herriot like most about having students shadow him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the byre that Frank Metcalf builds for his cows. How is it different from most local byres?
2. Why does Roland Partridge decide to postpone as long as possible the surgery that Herriot recommends fro his little dog Percy? What possible affect did this delay have?
3. How does Herriot feel after eating at the Horners? What lasting effect does it have on him?
4. How does Herriot's attitude about the English farmer change over the course of chapter twenty? Why does it change?
5. Explain why Herriot thought it might be a good idea to sedate Penny to cure her gastroenteritis, and where he got that idea.
6. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
7. What does Ted Buckle do to calm Herriot down and to get the bull back in his box?
8. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
9. What difficulty does Herriot have diagnosing Toby, the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring him to see? How does he finally manage to discover what is wrong?
10. When Herriot goes to the lecture with Granville Bennett, what do they miss and what do they arrive just in time for?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)