|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Throughout the beginning of chapter 20, what sound is present?
(a) The laughter of children.
(b) The ringing of bells.
(c) The barking of the neighbor's dog.
(d) The sound of a choir singing,
2. Why did Herriot stop halfway through the lethal injection?
(a) He realized he had grabbed the wrong syringe.
(b) He was startled by Colonel Bosworth's objections.
(c) The animal had already died.
(d) He decided to sedate the animal and try to repair it.
3. What does Herriot do to remedy the situation about Peter, Mrs. Tompkin's budgie?
(a) He runs to the store and buys another one just like him.
(b) He catches him with a towel.
(c) He has Mrs. Tompkin hold him.
(d) He tapes his beak shut.
4. What does Herriot see Tristan manage to do?
(a) Get invited to three different dinners in the same day.
(b) Get a farmer to feed him tea while delivering a calf.
(c) Not show any signs of pain while working with a broken wrist.
(d) Get farmers to sneak bottles of whiskey into his car.
5. Which of the following best characterizes Walt Barnett?
(a) Professional and courteous.
(b) Quiet and unassuming.
(c) Rude and demanding.
(d) Pompous and demeaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Herriot and Helen go when they leave the Daffodil Ball?
2. What is Tristan's response to having his foot stepped on by a cow?
3. Who owns the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring to Herriot?
4. How does Herriot feel about eating fat on meat?
5. How late is Herriot by the end of the afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Herriot thought it might be a good idea to sedate Penny to cure her gastroenteritis, and where he got that idea.
2. After Herriot and Granville attend the lecture, why is it challenging to return home?
3. What does Ted Buckle do to calm Herriot down and to get the bull back in his box?
4. Why does Herriot become upset with Kitson when he goes to deliver some lambs for him?
5. What happens to Frank Metcalf and his new byre?
6. When Herriot is on a schedule and must return to the clinic, what is Herriot doing at Ted Buckle's, and what happens that makes him sure he'll be late?
7. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
8. How does Herriot's attitude about the English farmer change over the course of chapter twenty? Why does it change?
9. Why is Herriot suddenly worried about money in chapter 41?
10. Explain why Mrs. Bond was displeased with Tristan.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)