|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What flavors of wine does Herriot try at Mr. Crumps house?
(a) Rhubarb, elderflower, blackberry, and parsnip,
(b) Dandelion, turnips, and cowslip.
(c) Parsely, clover, gooseberry, bettroot, and crabapple.
(d) All of the above.
2. In chapter one, Herriot returns to bed after a long night out. Where was he?
(a) Stuck at a social gathering at the Ingledew farm.
(b) Out drinking with Mr. Ingledew.
(c) Delivering a lamb at the Ingledew farm.
(d) Rescuing Mr. Ingledew's injured horse.
3. What is husk, the first ailment that afflicted the Darby cattle?
(a) A virus spread through bad water.
(b) Small worms that get into the bronchial tubes.
(c) A deficiency caused by malnutrution.
(d) General symptoms of neglect.
4. Who is Granville Bennett?
(a) A local horse vet.
(b) A very accomplished small animal vet in a nearby town.
(c) An animal healer.
(d) A dangerously incompetent veterinarian nearby.
5. What did the inspector find in an old shed?
(a) A patient, starving, yellow dog.
(b) An old horse.
(c) The bones of many cats.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two animals does Herriot treat or diagnose at the Darrowby show?
2. How long does it take Granville to work on Dinah?
3. How does Dinah do after being treated by Granville?
4. Why does Herriot end up officiating at the Darrowby show?
5. What made survival for the Dalby family especially difficult?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
2. Describe the scholastic background of Mr. Pickersgill and how his education manifests itself at the time of the story in chapter five.
3. Explain why each of the vets battled with their conscience after seeing Clancy.
4. Why did Cliff Tyreman have such fondness for Badger?
5. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
6. In chapter one, Herriot greatly appreciates a benefit of his wife and married life. What is it?
7. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
8. What is the Darrowby show that Herriot goes to officiate at?
9. Explain the solution Herriot finds for Mr. Pickersgill and his cow.
10. Describe Granville Bennett.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)