Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Granville Bennett?
(a) An animal healer.
(b) A local horse vet.
(c) A dangerously incompetent veterinarian nearby.
(d) A very accomplished small animal vet in a nearby town.
2. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
(a) They catch a virus.
(b) They are chased by a dog.
(c) They drink contaminated water.
(d) They go hungry.
3. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
(a) Jock takes racing very seriously.
(b) Jock's puppies are Jock's equal in speed.
(c) Jock no longer seems to have fun chasing cars.
(d) All of the above.
4. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
(a) Do his repair work at night on full moons.
(b) Keeps his lambing pens near his neighbors house.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Sing loudly when he's drunk.
5. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
(a) He occasionally stops and just lies in the sunshine when he's on his rounds.
(b) He carries a jug of ale in the car for after especially challenging calls.
(c) He insists on warm water even when the weather is warm.
(d) None of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Pickersgill call mastitis?
2. What causes a cloud to darken Herriot's day a the Darrowby show?
3. What made Ben Ashby rethink getting a closer look at Harry Sumner's heifer?
4. What is wrong with the cow that Herriot and Helen's father go to treat?
5. How does Siegfried treat Mrs. Dalby when she comes to Skeldale house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
2. Explain why each of the vets battled with their conscience after seeing Clancy.
3. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
4. Describe the Dimmock family.
5. Why was Herriot terrified after doing the tuberculin test on Mr. Dacre's bull?
6. When does Herriot see Carmondy again? What happens?
7. Explain why Gyp, the epileptic sheep dog barks for once in his life at the sheep dog trials.
8. Why does Herriot become upset with Kitson when he goes to deliver some lambs for him?
9. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
10. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)