|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Herriot injects the cow?
(a) She goes into convulsions.
(b) She relaxes, and few minutes later stands up.
(c) She stops panicking so they can set her leg.
(d) She dies.
2. After all the horses were gone from Harland Grange, what animal replaced them?
3. How was Badger's death significant to Harland Grange?
(a) He was the only stallion.
(b) He was every worker's favorite horse.
(c) He was the last work horse.
(d) He was their only prized show horse.
4. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
(a) A new hoof knife.
(b) A wad of cash.
(d) A jug of ale.
5. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
(a) The ground was too uneven to measure well.
(b) The ponies wouldn't stand still to be measured.
(c) Herriot had to catch each pony to measure it.
(d) Owners tried to convince Herriot the ponies were a different size.
Short Answer Questions
1. What takes Herriot to the Alderson homestead in chapter seven?
2. What does Herriot learn about the Bamfords the day after he goes there?
3. What is Jock's favorite thing?
4. Why does Herriot suspect that Mr. Pickersgill is the cause of the problem with his cow's mastitis?
5. What made Ben Ashby rethink getting a closer look at Harry Sumner's heifer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between veterinarians like Herriot and Siegried with Granville Bennett?
2. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
3. Why was Herriot terrified after doing the tuberculin test on Mr. Dacre's bull?
4. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
5. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
6. Describe the scholastic background of Mr. Pickersgill and how his education manifests itself at the time of the story in chapter five.
7. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
8. Explain why Mrs. Bond was displeased with Tristan.
9. Describe the rapport that Herriot has with Helen's father when he goes out to the Grange for Sunday tea.
10. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)