|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Granville and Herriot do while waiting for Dinah to wake up?
(a) Eat and drink.
(b) Make a call to treat a cow.
(c) Discuss animal care.
(d) Place bets on race horses.
2. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
(a) The ground was too uneven to measure well.
(b) Owners tried to convince Herriot the ponies were a different size.
(c) The ponies wouldn't stand still to be measured.
(d) Herriot had to catch each pony to measure it.
3. What made survival for the Dalby family especially difficult?
(a) The death of Billy Dalby, the father.
(b) A horrible accident that had crippled the father, Billy.
(c) They had a huge family and a supported others that couldn't work.
(d) They weren't from the area and so didn't know the land well.
4. What was Herriot suspected of for his placement of the family pets winners?
(a) Being biased against rabbits.
(b) Awarding prizes to his clients.
(c) Taking bribes.
(d) Giving first place to the squire's son.
5. What animal does Herriot place first in the Family Pets competition?
(a) The labrador.
(b) A tabby cat.
(c) The goldfish.
(d) The mynah bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Siegfried suspect is the cause of Clancy's vomiting?
2. Why are Herriot and Tristan reluctant to fully diagnose Clancy?
3. How does Dinah do after being treated by Granville?
4. What does Mr Kendall give to Siegfried when they call to his ranch to see a cow?
5. Who is Mrs. Donovan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happened when Herriot tried to draw blood from the fully mature Monty.
2. What procedure does Granville Bennett do on Dinah? How does it go? Why didn't Herriot want to do it?
3. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
4. Describe who Roy is and the state he is in when the inspector takes Herriot to him.
5. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
6. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
7. Describe the process Herriot goes through to diagnose the second batch of cows at the Darby farm.
8. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
9. Describe Herriot's visit to the Ingledew farm in chapter one.
10. In chapter one, Herriot greatly appreciates a benefit of his wife and married life. What is it?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)