|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is husk, the first ailment that afflicted the Darby cattle?
(a) A virus spread through bad water.
(b) A deficiency caused by malnutrution.
(c) Small worms that get into the bronchial tubes.
(d) General symptoms of neglect.
2. After driving by the scene of the hauntings at night, what is Herriot surprised by when he returns to Skeldale house?
(a) Tristan dressed as a monk in his room.
(b) Tristan and Siegfried waiting up for him.
(c) Another sighting of the ghost that night.
(d) An unknown car parked in his spot in the garage.
3. How easy does Herriot find it to diagnose the second batch of Darby cattle?
(a) He still does not know what was wrong with them.
(b) He knows almost immediately that it is going to be just as bad.
(c) He has no idea what is wrong the first two times he sees them.
(d) It takes him a long time because he has to do several tests.
4. What is wrong with the cow that Herriot and Helen's father go to treat?
(a) They have no idea.
(b) She ate a poisonous plant.
(c) A magnesium deficiency called "the staggers."
(d) A broken leg.
5. What was Herriot suspected of for his placement of the family pets winners?
(a) Being biased against rabbits.
(b) Giving first place to the squire's son.
(c) Awarding prizes to his clients.
(d) Taking bribes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Pickersgill call mastitis?
2. How is peace restored to Jock's life?
3. What does Granville Bennett do for Herriot?
4. What made survival for the Dalby family especially difficult?
5. Where does Herriot go when he leaves the Crumps?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the Darrowby show, what parameters does Herriot decide to use to judge the family pet competition? Why?
2. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
3. What procedure does Granville Bennett do on Dinah? How does it go? Why didn't Herriot want to do it?
4. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
5. Explain the incident and the outcome of the tumor on the cow at Mr. Kendall's. Why did Siegfried conceal what had happened and why did the others think it was funny?
6. At the end of chapter thirteen, Herriot gives us a glimpse what the Darby household is like twenty years later. How are the Darbys doing twenty years later?
7. Describe who Roy is and the state he is in when the inspector takes Herriot to him.
8. What is the Darrowby show that Herriot goes to officiate at?
9. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
10. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)