|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes a cloud to darken Herriot's day a the Darrowby show?
(a) The usual officiator keeps telling him what to do.
(b) Helen is walking around with Richard Edmundson.
(c) He realizes he won't be getting paid for the job.
(d) Nobody wants his help or advice.
2. After chastising Herriot and Tristan, how successful is Siegfried at examining Clancy?
(a) He completes the examination without a problem.
(b) He gets bitten, but completes the examination.
(c) He manages to examine Clancy with the help of three men.
(d) Not at all.
3. After all the horses were gone from Harland Grange, what animal replaced them?
4. How was Badger's death significant to Harland Grange?
(a) He was their only prized show horse.
(b) He was the only stallion.
(c) He was the last work horse.
(d) He was every worker's favorite horse.
5. How easy does Herriot find it to diagnose the second batch of Darby cattle?
(a) He still does not know what was wrong with them.
(b) He has no idea what is wrong the first two times he sees them.
(c) He knows almost immediately that it is going to be just as bad.
(d) It takes him a long time because he has to do several tests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Helen and Herriot need that he is designated to pick up at house sales?
2. What delightful occurrence makes Herriot forget his discomfort while out for a moment in chapter one?
3. What happens when Herriot injects the cow?
4. How is peace restored to Jock's life?
5. Where does Herriot go when he leaves the Crumps?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
2. Describe the process Herriot goes through to diagnose the second batch of cows at the Darby farm.
3. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
4. In chapter one, Herriot greatly appreciates a benefit of his wife and married life. What is it?
5. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
6. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
7. Why did Cliff Tyreman have such fondness for Badger?
8. Describe Granville Bennett.
9. Explain the incident and the outcome of the tumor on the cow at Mr. Kendall's. Why did Siegfried conceal what had happened and why did the others think it was funny?
10. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)