|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the eventual disappearance of the draught horse?
(a) The disapearance of family farms.
(b) The invention of the tractor.
(c) Their replacement with mules.
(d) A mass outbreak of equine diseases.
2. What was Herriot's opinion of horse work?
(a) "The simplest and most pleasant work we are handed."
(b) "The roughest and most arduous part of our life."
(c) "The bleakest and least studied part of our field."
(d) "The most dangerous and thrilling work for a vet."
3. What does Herriot feel vets are regularly called to do?
(a) To step open-eyed into dangerous situations.
(b) To keep a safe distance from any unruly animal.
(c) To influence farmers to treat their animals better.
(d) Answer general questions about animal husbandry.
4. What does Mr. Pickersgill want to try on his cow to cure the mastitis?
(a) Another vet.
(b) A long turn out in the pasture.
(c) A shot.
(d) A salve.
5. Which of the following could be used to describe Granville Bennett?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Larger than life.
(c) A local legend.
(d) Work hard play hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What delightful occurrence makes Herriot forget his discomfort while out for a moment in chapter one?
2. What caused Herriot discomfort during chapter one?
3. How does Dinah do after being treated by Granville?
4. Why does Herbert not have a mother?
5. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
2. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
3. Describe Herriot's visit to the Ingledew farm in chapter one.
4. Describe who Roy is and the state he is in when the inspector takes Herriot to him.
5. Describe Granville Bennett.
6. Describe the process Herriot goes through to diagnose the second batch of cows at the Darby farm.
7. Explain the incident and the outcome of the tumor on the cow at Mr. Kendall's. Why did Siegfried conceal what had happened and why did the others think it was funny?
8. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
9. What was the experience of the stomach operation on Monty like for Herriot? Why?
10. Explain what happened when Herriot tried to draw blood from the fully mature Monty.
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)