|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is peace restored to Jock's life?
(a) He stops chasing cars.
(b) The puppies are sold.
(c) He figures out he can outsmart the puppies.
(d) He finds a short cut that makes him win.
2. Why does Herbert not have a mother?
(a) His mother is sickly and the farmer removed him.
(b) None of the above.
(c) She died giving birth.
(d) She rejected him at birth.
3. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
(a) A small cottage on the edge of town.
(b) Into a flat next door to the clinic.
(c) The third story of the Skeldale House.
(d) Onto Helen's family property.
4. When Herriot goes walking through the vegetables to clear his mind, what does he hear?
(a) That gossip and rumors are the best part of the show.
(b) About suspected corruption and cheating in the vegetable competitions.
(c) Someone defending him against the accusations.
(d) That Helen and Richard were to be married.
5. What phrase does Mrs Donovan repeat to Herriot for years?
(a) "Haven't I made a difference to this dog?"
(b) "Stick to livestock."
(c) "Don't you wish you knew my secrets?"
(d) "Old remedies are the best remedies."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following could be used to describe Granville Bennett?
2. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
3. What does Herriot purchase in the auction house?
4. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
5. In chapter one, Herriot returns to bed after a long night out. Where was he?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carmondy's "hands on" experience on cases go? Give examples of what happens.
2. Describe Tristan's behavior while delivering a calf.
3. How does Herriot's attitude about the English farmer change over the course of chapter twenty? Why does it change?
4. At the end of chapter thirteen, Herriot gives us a glimpse what the Darby household is like twenty years later. How are the Darbys doing twenty years later?
5. Explain the incident and the outcome of the tumor on the cow at Mr. Kendall's. Why did Siegfried conceal what had happened and why did the others think it was funny?
6. Why is Miss Dooley distressed about her little dog Cindy? What is the root of the problem?
7. Describe the process Herriot goes through to diagnose the second batch of cows at the Darby farm.
8. What is the relationship between veterinarians like Herriot and Siegried with Granville Bennett?
9. Describe the Dimmock family.
10. Explain what upset Herriot when he goes to trim Mrs. Tompkin's budgie's beak. What does he do about it?
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)