|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dinah do after being treated by Granville?
(a) She dies three days later.
(b) She never fully recovers.
(c) She recovers quickly.
(d) She is hospitalized for over a week.
2. Which of the following best describes Zoe, Granville's wife?
(a) A radiant and independent beauty.
(b) A quiet and subdued domestic wife.
(c) A bitter and sarcastic older woman.
(d) A warm and welcoming home matron.
3. What animals does Herriot have to judge in the family pet competition?
(a) Dogs, cats, rabbits, and a fish.
(b) Dogs and cats.
(c) A wide array from Mynah birds to bulldogs to goldfish.
(d) A broad selection of dogs, mostly herding dogs.
4. What happens when Herriot injects the cow?
(a) She goes into convulsions.
(b) She relaxes, and few minutes later stands up.
(c) She stops panicking so they can set her leg.
(d) She dies.
5. What does Siegfried chastise Herriot and Tristan for in chapter six?
(a) Leaving instruments at farms after a field call.
(b) Not being punctual.
(c) Being careless and flippant.
(d) Drinking on the job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition are the second group of young cows in that Herriot goes to see at the Dalby farm?
2. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
3. Who is Granville Bennett?
4. What causes a cloud to darken Herriot's day a the Darrowby show?
5. Why did Harry say that Monty was ungrateful?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter one, Herriot greatly appreciates a benefit of his wife and married life. What is it?
2. Describe Granville Bennett.
3. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
4. Describe Herriot's visit to the Ingledew farm in chapter one.
5. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
6. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
7. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
8. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
9. Explain what happened when Herriot tried to draw blood from the fully mature Monty.
10. At the end of chapter thirteen, Herriot gives us a glimpse what the Darby household is like twenty years later. How are the Darbys doing twenty years later?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)