|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Siegfried suspect is the cause of Clancy's vomiting?
(a) He is a very old dog.
(b) A stomach tumor.
(c) He eats every bit of trash he finds.
(d) Joe feeds him rotten meat.
2. How was Badger's death significant to Harland Grange?
(a) He was the only stallion.
(b) He was their only prized show horse.
(c) He was the last work horse.
(d) He was every worker's favorite horse.
3. What does Siegfried chastise Herriot and Tristan for in chapter six?
(a) Drinking on the job.
(b) Not being punctual.
(c) Being careless and flippant.
(d) Leaving instruments at farms after a field call.
4. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
(a) A jug of ale.
(b) A new hoof knife.
(c) A wad of cash.
5. What was especially difficult about Herriot's purchase at the auction house?
(a) Figuring out how to set it up.
(b) Transporting it to his car.
(c) Explaining to Helen what he had purchased.
(d) None of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was wrong with Harry Sumner's young bull?
2. What did the inspector find in an old shed?
3. Who is Herriot with when they see the monk at night?
4. Who is Richard Edmundson?
5. Who or what does Herriot end up prescribing a solution for that also cures the mastitis of Mr. Pickersgill's cow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Cliff Tyreman have such fondness for Badger?
2. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
3. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
4. In chapter one, Herriot greatly appreciates a benefit of his wife and married life. What is it?
5. At the end of chapter thirteen, Herriot gives us a glimpse what the Darby household is like twenty years later. How are the Darbys doing twenty years later?
6. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
7. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
8. Describe the rapport that Herriot has with Helen's father when he goes out to the Grange for Sunday tea.
9. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
10. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)