|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
(a) Sing loudly when he's drunk.
(b) Do his repair work at night on full moons.
(c) Keeps his lambing pens near his neighbors house.
(d) None of the above.
2. What does Siegfried chastise Herriot and Tristan for in chapter six?
(a) Leaving instruments at farms after a field call.
(b) Not being punctual.
(c) Drinking on the job.
(d) Being careless and flippant.
3. What does Mr. Pickersgill call mastitis?
(a) Them masticks.
(b) Hot udder.
4. What made Ben Ashby rethink getting a closer look at Harry Sumner's heifer?
(a) Herriot advised him not to.
(b) No one wanted to go with him into the pasture.
(c) Ben has arthritus and couldn't make it over the fence.
(d) Monty, Harry Sumner's bull.
5. Why is communication with Joe Mulligan difficult?
(a) Joe is nearly deaf.
(b) Joe has an extremely thick accent.
(c) Joe always argues.
(d) Joe never pays attention and does what he thinks is best.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was wrong with Harry Sumner's young bull?
2. Why does Herriot get ill while waiting for Dinah with Granville?
3. How do Herbert and the ewe end up together?
4. How long does it take Granville to work on Dinah?
5. What do Helen and Herriot need that he is designated to pick up at house sales?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the Darrowby show, what parameters does Herriot decide to use to judge the family pet competition? Why?
2. Why did Cliff Tyreman have such fondness for Badger?
3. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
4. What was the experience of the stomach operation on Monty like for Herriot? Why?
5. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
6. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
7. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
8. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
9. Describe the scholastic background of Mr. Pickersgill and how his education manifests itself at the time of the story in chapter five.
10. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)