|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
(a) None of the above.
(b) He carries a jug of ale in the car for after especially challenging calls.
(c) He insists on warm water even when the weather is warm.
(d) He occasionally stops and just lies in the sunshine when he's on his rounds.
2. What flavors of wine does Herriot try at Mr. Crumps house?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Dandelion, turnips, and cowslip.
(c) Parsely, clover, gooseberry, bettroot, and crabapple.
(d) Rhubarb, elderflower, blackberry, and parsnip,
3. How long does it take Granville to work on Dinah?
(a) A couple hours.
(b) Almost an hour.
(d) Almost all day.
4. Why does Herriot end up officiating at the Darrowby show?
(a) He owed a favor to the town councilman.
(b) He was the only vet on the grounds.
(c) The usual officiator fell ill that day.
(d) Siegfried is out of town that day.
5. Who is Mrs. Donovan?
(a) An old gypsy.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A woman who fancies herself an animal doctor.
(d) A nosy old lady.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
2. What was Herriot suspected of for his placement of the family pets winners?
3. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
4. What causes a cloud to darken Herriot's day a the Darrowby show?
5. Where do people report seeing the monk at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why each of the vets battled with their conscience after seeing Clancy.
2. Explain the incident and the outcome of the tumor on the cow at Mr. Kendall's. Why did Siegfried conceal what had happened and why did the others think it was funny?
3. Describe the rapport that Herriot has with Helen's father when he goes out to the Grange for Sunday tea.
4. Describe the process Herriot goes through to diagnose the second batch of cows at the Darby farm.
5. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
6. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
7. Describe Herriot's visit to the Ingledew farm in chapter one.
8. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
9. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
10. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)