|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Herriot and Tristan reluctant to fully diagnose Clancy?
(a) Because they are afraid of what they will find.
(b) Because he is very smelly.
(c) Because he is mean and extremely large.
(d) None of the above.
2. What is the last thing Herriot sees at the Darrowby show?
(a) The usual officiator laughing over beer with all the farmers.
(b) Helen leaving in a fancy car with Richard while he crank starts his.
(c) The cow he treated at the beginning getting into a truck.
(d) The goldfish in its bowl forgotten on a table.
3. Why won't Herriot let the man with the terrier show his dog?
(a) The dog is uncontrollable.
(b) The dog is not registered.
(c) The dog has a temperature and Herriot suspects distemper.
(d) The dog is of the wrong breed.
4. What happened to Badger?
(a) He was retired from plowing and died of old age.
(b) He went blind.
(c) He developed lockjaw.
(d) He broke his leg jumping a fence.
5. Which of the following best describes Zoe, Granville's wife?
(a) A warm and welcoming home matron.
(b) A quiet and subdued domestic wife.
(c) A radiant and independent beauty.
(d) A bitter and sarcastic older woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herriot purchase in the auction house?
2. In the beginning of chapter 15, why is Siegfried especially touchy and cantankerous?
3. Who goes with Herriot to the Darrowby show?
4. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
5. Why is communication with Joe Mulligan difficult?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
2. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
3. Describe who Roy is and the state he is in when the inspector takes Herriot to him.
4. Describe the scholastic background of Mr. Pickersgill and how his education manifests itself at the time of the story in chapter five.
5. Why did Cliff Tyreman have such fondness for Badger?
6. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
7. Describe Herriot's visit to the Ingledew farm in chapter one.
8. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
9. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
10. Explain why each of the vets battled with their conscience after seeing Clancy.
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)