|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the inspector find in an old shed?
(a) A patient, starving, yellow dog.
(b) All of the above.
(c) An old horse.
(d) The bones of many cats.
2. In chapter one, Herriot returns to bed after a long night out. Where was he?
(a) Out drinking with Mr. Ingledew.
(b) Stuck at a social gathering at the Ingledew farm.
(c) Rescuing Mr. Ingledew's injured horse.
(d) Delivering a lamb at the Ingledew farm.
3. What response does Mrs. Crump have to Mr. Crump offering Herriot some of his wine?
(a) She encourages Herriot to try some of everything.
(b) She tells him not to pester people by offering it.
(c) She is offended and leaves.
(d) She warns Herriot that it is terrible.
4. How easy does Herriot find it to diagnose the second batch of Darby cattle?
(a) It takes him a long time because he has to do several tests.
(b) He knows almost immediately that it is going to be just as bad.
(c) He still does not know what was wrong with them.
(d) He has no idea what is wrong the first two times he sees them.
5. Who is Mrs. Donovan?
(a) An old gypsy.
(b) A woman who fancies herself an animal doctor.
(c) A nosy old lady.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was especially difficult about Herriot's purchase at the auction house?
2. Who is Herriot with when they see the monk at night?
3. Why is communication with Joe Mulligan difficult?
4. Who goes with Herriot to the Darrowby show?
5. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What procedure does Granville Bennett do on Dinah? How does it go? Why didn't Herriot want to do it?
2. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
3. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
4. Explain Tristan's role in sightings of the monk.
5. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
6. Describe the rapport that Herriot has with Helen's father when he goes out to the Grange for Sunday tea.
7. Describe who Roy is and the state he is in when the inspector takes Herriot to him.
8. At the end of chapter thirteen, Herriot gives us a glimpse what the Darby household is like twenty years later. How are the Darbys doing twenty years later?
9. How good is Herriot at buying furniture at house sales for the apartment? Explain your answer.
10. Describe what happens when Herriot treats the cow at the Darrowby show. What is wrong with the cow? What happens to Herriot while he treats it?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)