|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
(a) The ground was too uneven to measure well.
(b) The ponies wouldn't stand still to be measured.
(c) Herriot had to catch each pony to measure it.
(d) Owners tried to convince Herriot the ponies were a different size.
2. What does Herriot learn about the Bamfords the day after he goes there?
(a) They thought he was homeless.
(b) They often hosted people leaving the Crumps.
(c) They lost a cow because he didn't make it there in time.
(d) There were ruthlessly against drinking and alcohol.
3. Which of the following best describes Zoe, Granville's wife?
(a) A radiant and independent beauty.
(b) A quiet and subdued domestic wife.
(c) A bitter and sarcastic older woman.
(d) A warm and welcoming home matron.
4. What made survival for the Dalby family especially difficult?
(a) They weren't from the area and so didn't know the land well.
(b) The death of Billy Dalby, the father.
(c) A horrible accident that had crippled the father, Billy.
(d) They had a huge family and a supported others that couldn't work.
5. What does Mr. Pickersgill call mastitis?
(b) Them masticks.
(d) Hot udder.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Herbert and the ewe end up together?
2. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
3. After all the horses were gone from Harland Grange, what animal replaced them?
4. What reception does Herriot receive from the lady and her poodle?
5. What is wrong with the cow that Herriot and Helen's father go to treat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
2. Explain the incident and the outcome of the tumor on the cow at Mr. Kendall's. Why did Siegfried conceal what had happened and why did the others think it was funny?
3. What was the experience of the stomach operation on Monty like for Herriot? Why?
4. At the Darrowby show, what parameters does Herriot decide to use to judge the family pet competition? Why?
5. Describe the scholastic background of Mr. Pickersgill and how his education manifests itself at the time of the story in chapter five.
6. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
7. Describe Granville Bennett.
8. In chapter one, Herriot greatly appreciates a benefit of his wife and married life. What is it?
9. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
10. What procedure does Granville Bennett do on Dinah? How does it go? Why didn't Herriot want to do it?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)