|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Herriot place first in the Family Pets competition?
(a) A tabby cat.
(b) The labrador.
(c) The mynah bird.
(d) The goldfish.
2. When Herriot goes walking through the vegetables to clear his mind, what does he hear?
(a) Someone defending him against the accusations.
(b) That Helen and Richard were to be married.
(c) That gossip and rumors are the best part of the show.
(d) About suspected corruption and cheating in the vegetable competitions.
3. How was Badger's death significant to Harland Grange?
(a) He was their only prized show horse.
(b) He was the only stallion.
(c) He was every worker's favorite horse.
(d) He was the last work horse.
4. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
(a) The ponies wouldn't stand still to be measured.
(b) Herriot had to catch each pony to measure it.
(c) Owners tried to convince Herriot the ponies were a different size.
(d) The ground was too uneven to measure well.
5. Who is Richard Edmundson?
(a) The son of local famer and good friends of Helen's family.
(b) All the above.
(c) Another suitor to Helen.
(d) A wealthy young man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what does Herriot end up prescribing a solution for that also cures the mastitis of Mr. Pickersgill's cow?
2. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
3. What does Mr Kendall give to Siegfried when they call to his ranch to see a cow?
4. Why does Herriot get ill while waiting for Dinah with Granville?
5. Why does Herriot end up officiating at the Darrowby show?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
2. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
3. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
4. How good is Herriot at buying furniture at house sales for the apartment? Explain your answer.
5. Describe Granville Bennett.
6. How does a cap play into the story of Mr. Crump and the Bamfords?
7. What is the Darrowby show that Herriot goes to officiate at?
8. At the end of chapter thirteen, Herriot gives us a glimpse what the Darby household is like twenty years later. How are the Darbys doing twenty years later?
9. What was the experience of the stomach operation on Monty like for Herriot? Why?
10. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)