|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr Kendall give to Siegfried when they call to his ranch to see a cow?
(a) Fake money.
(c) A stethoscope Siegfried left there.
(d) A jug of ale to share when the job was done.
2. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
(a) Jock takes racing very seriously.
(b) Jock no longer seems to have fun chasing cars.
(c) Jock's puppies are Jock's equal in speed.
(d) All of the above.
3. What does Herriot purchase in the auction house?
(a) A large rug for the living room.
(b) An old set of outdated medical tools.
(c) A twenty-four volume set of the the geography of the world.
(d) A weaving loom.
4. When Herriot goes walking through the vegetables to clear his mind, what does he hear?
(a) About suspected corruption and cheating in the vegetable competitions.
(b) That Helen and Richard were to be married.
(c) That gossip and rumors are the best part of the show.
(d) Someone defending him against the accusations.
5. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
(a) The ponies wouldn't stand still to be measured.
(b) Owners tried to convince Herriot the ponies were a different size.
(c) Herriot had to catch each pony to measure it.
(d) The ground was too uneven to measure well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reception does Herriot receive from the lady and her poodle?
2. What interferes with the enjoyment of Herriot's purchase at home?
3. Which of the following could be used to describe Granville Bennett?
4. What was especially difficult about Herriot's purchase at the auction house?
5. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the shift from plow horses to tractors affect the veterinary education and practice?
2. Describe Herriot's visit to the Ingledew farm in chapter one.
3. How good is Herriot at buying furniture at house sales for the apartment? Explain your answer.
4. Describe the process Herriot goes through to diagnose the second batch of cows at the Darby farm.
5. What does Herriot find so difficult and horrifying about treating the cows for husk at the Darby farm?
6. Describe Mr. Ingledew's singing.
7. Describe how the calving goes at the Bamfords.
8. Describe what happens with the dog and Rob Benson's sheep. What does the farmer believe has happened? What does Herriot find out when he is called out?
9. Explain the solution Herriot finds for Mr. Pickersgill and his cow.
10. How does the day at the Darrowby show differ from the "pleasant day out" he expected it to be?
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)