|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Ross is upset and wants to leave the Thwaite farm when he hears what news?
(a) Marmaduke is in the barn treating the cow.
(b) Herriot has an urgent call and has to leave.
(c) His wife has gone missing.
(d) The goat died on the operating table.
2. What odd tools did Mr. Ross require to fix the animal?
(a) Sugar, a bottle, and a pig stool.
(b) Carrots and the mother's milk.
(c) A step ladder and a ten foot rope.
(d) Ginger root and hot water.
3. What does Siegfried do to get even with Walt Bennett?
(a) He charges him ten pounds for a job that usually costs one or two.
(b) Turns him into the authorities for animal abuse.
(c) Ridicules his horse to a group in a pub.
(d) Lets his dog bite him.
4. Why does Helen go with Herriot when he leaves the Daffodil Ball on his call?
(a) She needed a lift home.
(b) The call is her father's prize bull.
(c) He asked her if she wanted to.
(d) Richard Edmundson was drunk and she wanted to leave.
5. What does Herriot think about the new byre that Frank Metcalf has built?
(a) It will never work.
(b) It is a perfect reflection of all the local byres.
(c) It shows Frank's inexperience.
(d) It is the future of dairy farming.
6. Why does the disease have such serious ramifications for Frank?
(a) It causes the cows to abort and not produce milk.
(b) The locals already doubted his ability.
(c) It was caused by the byre he built.
(d) It kills the cattle.
7. What reason does Herriot believe is the true reason that Mr. Wilkin sold Sweep instead of Gyp?
(a) Mr. Wilkin knew Sweep was epileptic.
(b) Gyp was illegitimately bred.
(c) He became attached to Gyp.
(d) Mr. Wilkin believed Gyp to be the better dog.
8. What holiday is Herriot about to celebrate in chapter twenty?
(a) All Saint's Day.
(c) New Years.
9. What does Herriot think is wrong with Toby, the cocker spaniel?
(b) Nothing, he's just a runt.
(c) Internal infection.
(d) He ate something bad.
10. Which of the following best characterizes Walt Barnett?
(a) Pompous and demeaning.
(b) Quiet and unassuming.
(c) Rude and demanding.
(d) Professional and courteous.
11. Who is Marmaduke "Duke" Skelton?
(a) Mr. Thwaite's cousin from the city.
(b) An experienced old farmer.
(c) A retired veterinarian.
(d) A local animal healer.
12. Where was Percy's tumor?
(a) His mouth.
(b) At the base of his tail.
(c) His testicle.
(d) Above his left eye.
13. What condition is Helen is as Herriot plans to leave for the Air Force?
(a) She is absorbed with the work she has to do at Heston Grange.
(b) She is devastated at his departure.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is ill with pneumonia.
14. What did Frank Metcalf do as a profession for most of his life?
(a) A hired farm hand.
(b) A sheep farmer.
(c) A steelworker in Middlesbrough.
(d) An accountant.
15. How does Herriot usually catch Mrs. Bond's cats?
(a) Luring them in with tuna.
(b) Patiently calling them and coaxing them.
(c) Waiting next to the cat door and grabbing them when they come through.
(d) With a humane trap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic caused Colonel Bosworth to treat his animals so well?
2. What is Tristan's response to having his foot stepped on by a cow?
3. What do the Kirby's do that Mr. Brown does not?
4. How does Herriot consume the meal served to him by the Horners?
5. Why was the conversation with Mr. Fryer frustrating for Herriot?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)