|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 39, what trait of Helen's does Herriot discuss?
(a) Her obsession with cooking with fat.
(b) Her hard work and perserverance.
(c) Her wonderful cooking.
(d) Her strict control of his diet.
2. What does Herriot go to see Boris for?
(a) A bone stuck in his teeth.
(b) A broken leg.
3. What was wrong with Mr. Thwaite's cow?
(a) She delivered her uterus.
(b) She had a broken leg.
(c) She calf was stillborn.
(d) She had a severe copper deficiency .
4. Throughout the beginning of chapter 20, what sound is present?
(a) The barking of the neighbor's dog.
(b) The ringing of bells.
(c) The laughter of children.
(d) The sound of a choir singing,
5. Why was Roland Partridge considered an unlikely character in Darrowby?
(a) He dressed unusually.
(b) He prefered cats to dogs,
(c) He refused to buy a house and lived off the land.
(d) Although his background was farming he was an artist.
6. What did the A.A man say to Herriot?
(a) That his tired were to bald to drive.
(b) That the road they had driven the previous night was closed.
(c) That driving in the snow would be too dangerous.
(d) That he would have to detour down more windy road.
7. What chance does Herriot take before euthanizing Penny?
(a) Sedating her heavily for several days to break the cycle.
(b) Threatening to call the authorities.
(c) Taking her to the clinic to heal.
(d) Doubling the dosage of the medicine.
8. Why do Herriot and Siegfried spend all night talking at the beginning of chapter 41?
(a) They haven't seen each other in weeks.
(b) They have a lot of business they need to discuss.
(c) Siegfried is leaving for the Air Force the next day.
(d) Helen is staying at her parents.
9. Why was the conversation with Mr. Fryer frustrating for Herriot?
(a) Mr. Fryer was constantly busy so Herriot couldn't get him to commit to a time.
(b) Mr. Fryer's voice was high pitched and sometimes hard to understand.
(c) Mr. Fryer was consistently vague with his answers.
(d) Mr. Fryer would not stop cursing while explaining what was wrong.
10. What dampens Herriot's spirits when he is attending the Daffodil Ball?
(a) Tristan is spending all his time with a girl and he's left all alone.
(b) He sees Helen dancing with Richard Edmundson.
(c) The girl he is with is loud and rude.
(d) He gets called away to see a bull.
11. What did Herriot like most about having students shadow him?
(a) He enjoyed having someone to give the dirtier jobs to,
(b) He liked asking them about new advances in animal medicine.
(c) Being amused by their lack of experience.
(d) Quizzing them on veterinary knowledge.
12. Which of the following best characterizes Herriot's opinion of Carmondy at the end of their acquaintance?
(a) He thought he was comical.
(b) He thought he was intolerable.
(c) He liked him.
(d) He was tired of his attitude.
13. What does Herriot come to realize over time?
(a) Tristan is a good business partner.
(b) Helen was physically affected by the thought of his departure.
(c) Siegfried did not owe him the money.
(d) Helen needed the time away from him.
14. How does Mr. Wiggin use more of Herriot's time than Herriot feels is necessary?
(a) By trying to lasso all the cows for an injection.
(b) By making him walk to a barn far away.
(c) By talking to him incessantly.
(d) By cuddling each cow before allowing Herriot to inject them.
15. How does Herriot consume the meal served to him by the Horners?
(a) Slowly and appreciately.
(b) He smothers it in piccalilli so can't taste it.
(c) He feeds much of it to the dog when the Horsners aren't looking.
(d) He gobbles it down voraciously.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Herriot thinking of when he tries this last tactic to cure Penny?
2. What does Siegfried tell Herriot his check is for?
3. How does Carmondy get dragged?
4. What has Mr. Kitson decided to do with the dying ewe in the corner?
5. What does Miss Dooley, the owner of Cindy, the little pregnant dog, want from Herriot?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)