|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Mr. Kitson decided to do with the dying ewe in the corner?
(a) Do everything he can to save her.
(b) Butcher her that evening.
(c) Let her "take her chances" and see if she lives or dies.
(d) Call the knackerman.
2. What mistake does Herriot make each time he visits Miss Dooley?
(a) He misdiagnoses Cindy's condition.
(b) He forgets to bring the right drugs.
(c) He arrives at the wrong time.
(d) He calls her by the wrong name.
3. What was Colonel Bosworth's reason for seeing Herriot?
(a) His terrior, Emmit was not eating.
(b) His cat, Maudie was struck by a car.
(c) His collie, Sam was injured in a fight.
(d) His rabbit, Duchess was attacked by dogs.
4. What did Frank Metcalf do as a profession for most of his life?
(a) An accountant.
(b) A sheep farmer.
(c) A steelworker in Middlesbrough.
(d) A hired farm hand.
5. Why did Herriot stop halfway through the lethal injection?
(a) The animal had already died.
(b) He was startled by Colonel Bosworth's objections.
(c) He decided to sedate the animal and try to repair it.
(d) He realized he had grabbed the wrong syringe.
6. What dampens Herriot's spirits when he is attending the Daffodil Ball?
(a) He gets called away to see a bull.
(b) Tristan is spending all his time with a girl and he's left all alone.
(c) The girl he is with is loud and rude.
(d) He sees Helen dancing with Richard Edmundson.
7. What was wrong with Mr. Thwaite's cow?
(a) She delivered her uterus.
(b) She had a broken leg.
(c) She calf was stillborn.
(d) She had a severe copper deficiency .
8. What does Herriot see Tristan manage to do?
(a) Get invited to three different dinners in the same day.
(b) Get a farmer to feed him tea while delivering a calf.
(c) Get farmers to sneak bottles of whiskey into his car.
(d) Not show any signs of pain while working with a broken wrist.
9. What does Walt Bennett do that angers Siegfried?
(a) Ridicule him in front of other clients.
(b) Yell at him over the phone.
(c) Mistreat a horse.
(d) Doubt his competence.
10. Which of the following best characterizes Herriot's opinion of Carmondy at the end of their acquaintance?
(a) He thought he was comical.
(b) He was tired of his attitude.
(c) He thought he was intolerable.
(d) He liked him.
11. What is Tristan able to get from the farmers that Herriot is not?
12. Where was Percy's tumor?
(a) His mouth.
(b) At the base of his tail.
(c) Above his left eye.
(d) His testicle.
13. What did Herriot like most about having students shadow him?
(a) Quizzing them on veterinary knowledge.
(b) He liked asking them about new advances in animal medicine.
(c) Being amused by their lack of experience.
(d) He enjoyed having someone to give the dirtier jobs to,
14. How does Herriot consume the meal served to him by the Horners?
(a) He feeds much of it to the dog when the Horsners aren't looking.
(b) He gobbles it down voraciously.
(c) He smothers it in piccalilli so can't taste it.
(d) Slowly and appreciately.
15. Why does Mr. Dacre's bull pin Herriot against the boards?
(a) He was happy to see him.
(b) To scratch and itch.
(c) Because Herriot poked him with a needle.
(d) His head was tied and he couldn't get to Herriot with his horns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Herriot ever employ the strategy he learned from watching Tristan?
2. What characteristic caused Colonel Bosworth to treat his animals so well?
3. Why does Helen go with Herriot when he leaves the Daffodil Ball on his call?
4. What takes an inordinate amount of time with Miss Dunn's pig?
5. Why was Mr. Biggins reluctant to ask Herriot to look at his cow?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)