|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Herriot and Helen go when they leave the Daffodil Ball?
(a) After a quick stop at Skeldale House, to a farm on the outskirts to see a bull.
(b) First to Skeldale House for tools and then to see a dog.
(c) After a long stop by the moonlit river, to Heston Grange.
(d) Straight to Heston Grange, Helen's home.
2. What happens when Herriot tries to trim the beak of Mrs. Tompkin's budgie, Peter?
(a) Peter dies as soon as he picks him up.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Peter gets away and flies around the room.
(d) The budgie bites him.
3. How does Mr. Wiggin use more of Herriot's time than Herriot feels is necessary?
(a) By cuddling each cow before allowing Herriot to inject them.
(b) By trying to lasso all the cows for an injection.
(c) By making him walk to a barn far away.
(d) By talking to him incessantly.
4. Why do Herriot and Siegfried spend all night talking at the beginning of chapter 41?
(a) Siegfried is leaving for the Air Force the next day.
(b) They haven't seen each other in weeks.
(c) Helen is staying at her parents.
(d) They have a lot of business they need to discuss.
5. Who is Sam?
(a) Helen and Herriot's beagle.
(b) A large great dane that lives in the neighborhood.
(c) The Fleming's bull.
(d) Helen's brother.
6. What does Siegfried tell Herriot his check is for?
(a) Siegfried just wants to help out.
(b) It is Siegfried's wedding present.
(c) Compensate for a clerical error from some tuberculin testing.
(d) Siegfried is buying a third of Herriot's share in the business for Tristan.
7. Why were dogs flocking to Mr. Partridge's house?
(a) Mr. Partridge was feeding the strays.
(b) They were attracted to Percy.
(c) They were going through his trash.
(d) They were attacking Percy.
8. Why was Roland Partridge considered an unlikely character in Darrowby?
(a) He prefered cats to dogs,
(b) He dressed unusually.
(c) Although his background was farming he was an artist.
(d) He refused to buy a house and lived off the land.
9. What chance does Herriot take before euthanizing Penny?
(a) Taking her to the clinic to heal.
(b) Threatening to call the authorities.
(c) Sedating her heavily for several days to break the cycle.
(d) Doubling the dosage of the medicine.
10. What does Miss Dooley, the owner of Cindy, the little pregnant dog, want from Herriot?
(a) A shot to make Cindy deliver her puppies.
(b) A health certificate for all the puppies.
(c) For Herriot to supervise the delivery.
(d) An abortion for Cindy.
11. Why does Mrs. Bond ask Herriot not to bring Tristan back?
(a) Boris took an instant disliking to him.
(b) Tristan got all the cats riled up chasing Boris.
(c) Tristan was rude to her.
(d) Tristan flirted with her daughter.
12. What does Walt Bennett do that angers Siegfried?
(a) Ridicule him in front of other clients.
(b) Mistreat a horse.
(c) Doubt his competence.
(d) Yell at him over the phone.
13. Why does Helen go with Herriot when he leaves the Daffodil Ball on his call?
(a) Richard Edmundson was drunk and she wanted to leave.
(b) He asked her if she wanted to.
(c) She needed a lift home.
(d) The call is her father's prize bull.
14. What mistake does Herriot make each time he visits Miss Dooley?
(a) He misdiagnoses Cindy's condition.
(b) He forgets to bring the right drugs.
(c) He calls her by the wrong name.
(d) He arrives at the wrong time.
15. What does Herriot do to remedy the situation about Peter, Mrs. Tompkin's budgie?
(a) He tapes his beak shut.
(b) He has Mrs. Tompkin hold him.
(c) He runs to the store and buys another one just like him.
(d) He catches him with a towel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was caught in the throat of Mr. Kirby's goat Dorothy?
2. What odd tools did Mr. Ross require to fix the animal?
3. What does Herriot go to see Boris for?
4. What does Herriot think about the new byre that Frank Metcalf has built?
5. What has Mr. Kitson decided to do with the dying ewe in the corner?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)