|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Herriot ever employ the strategy he learned from watching Tristan?
(a) Whenever he feels he needs a challenge.
(b) Only when he desperately needs to.
(c) No, he doesn't have the courage.
(d) All the time.
2. What does Carmondy ask Herriot for?
(a) Hands on experience.
(c) To stop quizzing him about diseases.
(d) A referral.
3. In chapter 39, what trait of Helen's does Herriot discuss?
(a) Her obsession with cooking with fat.
(b) Her strict control of his diet.
(c) Her hard work and perserverance.
(d) Her wonderful cooking.
4. What does Siegfried do to get even with Walt Bennett?
(a) Turns him into the authorities for animal abuse.
(b) Lets his dog bite him.
(c) He charges him ten pounds for a job that usually costs one or two.
(d) Ridicules his horse to a group in a pub.
5. Who owns the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring to Herriot?
(a) Jimmy Dimmock.
(b) Nellie Dimmock.
(c) Mrs. Dimmock.
(d) The Dimmock's neighbor, Mr. Bass.
6. What mistake does Herriot make each time he visits Miss Dooley?
(a) He calls her by the wrong name.
(b) He arrives at the wrong time.
(c) He misdiagnoses Cindy's condition.
(d) He forgets to bring the right drugs.
7. Why does Mr. Dacre's bull pin Herriot against the boards?
(a) His head was tied and he couldn't get to Herriot with his horns.
(b) To scratch and itch.
(c) Because Herriot poked him with a needle.
(d) He was happy to see him.
8. What happens when Herriot tries to trim the beak of Mrs. Tompkin's budgie, Peter?
(a) Peter dies as soon as he picks him up.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The budgie bites him.
(d) Peter gets away and flies around the room.
9. Where do Herriot and Helen go when they leave the Daffodil Ball?
(a) After a quick stop at Skeldale House, to a farm on the outskirts to see a bull.
(b) Straight to Heston Grange, Helen's home.
(c) After a long stop by the moonlit river, to Heston Grange.
(d) First to Skeldale House for tools and then to see a dog.
10. How do Frank's cows get sick?
(a) The pasture was contaminated.
(b) Nobody knows.
(c) The byre was unsanitary.
(d) From a new cow Frank bought at market.
11. What is Tristan's response to having his foot stepped on by a cow?
(a) Crawl away, dragging his whole leg uselessly.
(b) Adding a fee to the bill.
(c) Cursing loudly.
(d) Stoically going on without showing pain.
12. What did Herriot like most about having students shadow him?
(a) Quizzing them on veterinary knowledge.
(b) He liked asking them about new advances in animal medicine.
(c) Being amused by their lack of experience.
(d) He enjoyed having someone to give the dirtier jobs to,
13. Where did Herriot agree to go before returning home?
(a) To a meeting.
(b) The Club.
(c) To Colonel Bosworth's home.
(d) To another surgery.
14. How was Richard Carmondy different from the other students?
(a) He had an air of superiority.
(b) He did not seem at all interested in veterinary science,
(c) He was not afraid to do the jobs that even Herriot cringed from doing.
(d) He was lazy and unappreciative of the favor Herriot was doing for him.
15. What reason does Herriot believe is the true reason that Mr. Wilkin sold Sweep instead of Gyp?
(a) Gyp was illegitimately bred.
(b) Mr. Wilkin knew Sweep was epileptic.
(c) Mr. Wilkin believed Gyp to be the better dog.
(d) He became attached to Gyp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Gyp never done in his life?
2. What is wrong with Bonzo, the first dog that Herriot sees for the Dimmocks?
3. Why does Helen go with Herriot when he leaves the Daffodil Ball on his call?
4. What saves Herriot from being squashed by Mr. Dacre's bull?
5. What does Herriot come to realize over time?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)