|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Mr. Bentley acting strangely?
(a) He was crawling on his hands and knees.
(b) He did not respond to Herriot until Herriot began yelling.
(c) He was dressed in his pajamas to call on the vet.
(d) He was talking to Herriot through an imaginary telephone.
2. Why was Roland Partridge considered an unlikely character in Darrowby?
(a) He refused to buy a house and lived off the land.
(b) He prefered cats to dogs,
(c) He dressed unusually.
(d) Although his background was farming he was an artist.
3. What does Herriot think is wrong with Toby, the cocker spaniel?
(a) Internal infection.
(c) Nothing, he's just a runt.
(d) He ate something bad.
4. Why does Mrs. Bond ask Herriot not to bring Tristan back?
(a) Tristan got all the cats riled up chasing Boris.
(b) Tristan flirted with her daughter.
(c) Tristan was rude to her.
(d) Boris took an instant disliking to him.
5. Who did Herriot bring the animal to?
(c) Granville Bennett.
(d) Colonel Bosworth.
6. Where did Herriot agree to go before returning home?
(a) To another surgery.
(b) The Club.
(c) To Colonel Bosworth's home.
(d) To a meeting.
7. How did Mr. Kitson make the delivery that Herriot performs much more difficult?
(a) By asking Herriot to explain everything he does.
(b) None of the above.
(c) By insisting they do it in a tiny dark stall.
(d) By talking loudly the entire time.
8. Throughout the beginning of chapter 20, what sound is present?
(a) The laughter of children.
(b) The sound of a choir singing,
(c) The ringing of bells.
(d) The barking of the neighbor's dog.
9. What did Herriot like most about having students shadow him?
(a) He enjoyed having someone to give the dirtier jobs to,
(b) He liked asking them about new advances in animal medicine.
(c) Quizzing them on veterinary knowledge.
(d) Being amused by their lack of experience.
10. What happens when Herriot tries to trim the beak of Mrs. Tompkin's budgie, Peter?
(a) Peter dies as soon as he picks him up.
(b) Peter gets away and flies around the room.
(c) The budgie bites him.
(d) None of the above.
11. How late is Herriot by the end of the afternoon?
(a) He has time to spare.
(b) He is under a half hour late.
(c) Not at all - he makes it just on time.
(d) He is three hours late.
12. Why did it take so long for Herriot and Granville to reach the bar?
(a) Harriot kept trying to steer Granville away.
(b) The crowd was too large.
(c) Their were tables and chairs in their way.
(d) Granville kept running into people he knew.
13. How many cats does Mrs. Bond keep?
(a) One indoor cat and five outdoor cats.
(b) Many many cats both indoors and out.
(c) Only Boris.
(d) Three indoor cats and three outdoor cats.
14. What is Gyp's response when he sees Sweep years later?
(a) He barks.
(b) He has an epileptic fit.
(c) He runs to help him work sheep in the dog trial.
(d) He runs madly in circles.
15. In chapter 39, what trait of Helen's does Herriot discuss?
(a) Her hard work and perserverance.
(b) Her strict control of his diet.
(c) Her wonderful cooking.
(d) Her obsession with cooking with fat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herriot go to see Boris for?
2. Why was the conversation with Mr. Fryer frustrating for Herriot?
3. What mistake does Herriot make each time he visits Miss Dooley?
4. What does Herriot think might have caused Kitson's dying ewe to recover?
5. What did Frank Metcalf do as a profession for most of his life?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)