|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Herriot stop halfway through the lethal injection?
(a) He realized he had grabbed the wrong syringe.
(b) The animal had already died.
(c) He was startled by Colonel Bosworth's objections.
(d) He decided to sedate the animal and try to repair it.
2. What does Miss Dooley, the owner of Cindy, the little pregnant dog, want from Herriot?
(a) An abortion for Cindy.
(b) A health certificate for all the puppies.
(c) For Herriot to supervise the delivery.
(d) A shot to make Cindy deliver her puppies.
3. What dampens Herriot's spirits when he is attending the Daffodil Ball?
(a) He sees Helen dancing with Richard Edmundson.
(b) He gets called away to see a bull.
(c) Tristan is spending all his time with a girl and he's left all alone.
(d) The girl he is with is loud and rude.
4. How does Mr. Wiggin use more of Herriot's time than Herriot feels is necessary?
(a) By making him walk to a barn far away.
(b) By talking to him incessantly.
(c) By cuddling each cow before allowing Herriot to inject them.
(d) By trying to lasso all the cows for an injection.
5. What did Frank Metcalf do as a profession for most of his life?
(a) A hired farm hand.
(b) An accountant.
(c) A steelworker in Middlesbrough.
(d) A sheep farmer.
6. How did Mr. Kitson make the delivery that Herriot performs much more difficult?
(a) By insisting they do it in a tiny dark stall.
(b) None of the above.
(c) By talking loudly the entire time.
(d) By asking Herriot to explain everything he does.
7. Why was Mr. Biggins reluctant to ask Herriot to look at his cow?
(a) He was worried the cow would have to be put down.
(b) He was afraid of a large bill.
(c) His cow did not like vets.
(d) He wasn't sure Herriot could be trusted with his prized cow.
8. What does Herriot go to see Boris for?
(b) A broken leg.
(d) A bone stuck in his teeth.
9. Who did Herriot bring the animal to?
(a) Colonel Bosworth.
(c) Granville Bennett.
10. Which of the following best characterizes Walt Barnett?
(a) Rude and demanding.
(b) Professional and courteous.
(c) Pompous and demeaning.
(d) Quiet and unassuming.
11. Who owns the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring to Herriot?
(a) Mrs. Dimmock.
(b) Nellie Dimmock.
(c) The Dimmock's neighbor, Mr. Bass.
(d) Jimmy Dimmock.
12. What does Siegfried tell Herriot his check is for?
(a) Siegfried is buying a third of Herriot's share in the business for Tristan.
(b) Compensate for a clerical error from some tuberculin testing.
(c) It is Siegfried's wedding present.
(d) Siegfried just wants to help out.
13. How many cats does Mrs. Bond keep?
(a) Three indoor cats and three outdoor cats.
(b) Many many cats both indoors and out.
(c) One indoor cat and five outdoor cats.
(d) Only Boris.
14. How does Herriot consume the meal served to him by the Horners?
(a) He gobbles it down voraciously.
(b) Slowly and appreciately.
(c) He smothers it in piccalilli so can't taste it.
(d) He feeds much of it to the dog when the Horsners aren't looking.
15. What does Herriot come to realize over time?
(a) Siegfried did not owe him the money.
(b) Tristan is a good business partner.
(c) Helen was physically affected by the thought of his departure.
(d) Helen needed the time away from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mr. Bentley acting strangely?
2. What has Gyp never done in his life?
3. What is Tristan's response to having his foot stepped on by a cow?
4. What did Herriot like most about having students shadow him?
5. What holiday is Herriot about to celebrate in chapter twenty?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)