|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carmondy ask Herriot for?
(a) To stop quizzing him about diseases.
(c) A referral.
(d) Hands on experience.
2. What does Herriot think about the new byre that Frank Metcalf has built?
(a) It will never work.
(b) It is the future of dairy farming.
(c) It shows Frank's inexperience.
(d) It is a perfect reflection of all the local byres.
3. Why was Roland Partridge considered an unlikely character in Darrowby?
(a) Although his background was farming he was an artist.
(b) He dressed unusually.
(c) He refused to buy a house and lived off the land.
(d) He prefered cats to dogs,
4. What does Herriot think is wrong with Toby, the cocker spaniel?
(a) He ate something bad.
(b) Nothing, he's just a runt.
(d) Internal infection.
5. Mr. Ross is upset and wants to leave the Thwaite farm when he hears what news?
(a) Marmaduke is in the barn treating the cow.
(b) His wife has gone missing.
(c) The goat died on the operating table.
(d) Herriot has an urgent call and has to leave.
6. What holiday is Herriot about to celebrate in chapter twenty?
(b) All Saint's Day.
(c) New Years.
7. How many cats does Mrs. Bond keep?
(a) Only Boris.
(b) One indoor cat and five outdoor cats.
(c) Three indoor cats and three outdoor cats.
(d) Many many cats both indoors and out.
8. What takes an inordinate amount of time with Miss Dunn's pig?
(a) They had to coax it across the yard with treats.
(b) Miss Dunn has an injured hand and can not help.
(c) The procedure was more complex than expected.
(d) They had to catch the pig.
9. Why do Herriot and Siegfried spend all night talking at the beginning of chapter 41?
(a) Helen is staying at her parents.
(b) They haven't seen each other in weeks.
(c) Siegfried is leaving for the Air Force the next day.
(d) They have a lot of business they need to discuss.
10. How does Herriot consume the meal served to him by the Horners?
(a) He smothers it in piccalilli so can't taste it.
(b) Slowly and appreciately.
(c) He feeds much of it to the dog when the Horsners aren't looking.
(d) He gobbles it down voraciously.
11. Why didn't Herriot refuse the refills of whiskey and food?
(a) Granville would have taken it personally.
(b) He was too hungry to bother.
(c) He knew it would be a long night.
(d) He enjoyed the taste too much to refuse.
12. What does Herriot have to return on schedule from the afternoon calls for?
(a) To medicate a sick dog.
(b) Helen's doctors appointment.
(c) The farewell party for Siegfried.
(d) Dinner with the Hodgsons.
13. What does Miss Dooley, the owner of Cindy, the little pregnant dog, want from Herriot?
(a) An abortion for Cindy.
(b) A shot to make Cindy deliver her puppies.
(c) A health certificate for all the puppies.
(d) For Herriot to supervise the delivery.
14. Despite his good lineage, why can't Gyp's owner breed Gyp?
(a) Because all his dogs are related to Gyp.
(b) Because he doesn't have Gyp's registration papers.
(c) Because Gyp injured himself in a way that prevents him from being bred.
(d) Because Gyp has epilepsy.
15. How was Richard Carmondy different from the other students?
(a) He did not seem at all interested in veterinary science,
(b) He had an air of superiority.
(c) He was not afraid to do the jobs that even Herriot cringed from doing.
(d) He was lazy and unappreciative of the favor Herriot was doing for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Percy's tumor?
2. What happens when Herriot tries to trim the beak of Mrs. Tompkin's budgie, Peter?
3. What does Herriot do to remedy the situation about Peter, Mrs. Tompkin's budgie?
4. Why were dogs flocking to Mr. Partridge's house?
5. What does Herriot tell Mrs. Chapman as he leaves her house the night of the Daffodil Ball?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)