|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Richard Carmondy on a call with Herriot?
(a) He quit and decided to go home.
(b) He lost his dignity when a dog bit him on his buttocks.
(c) He openly contradicted Herriot infront of a farmer.
(d) The farmer laughed at him.
2. Why is Herriot unable to comply with Miss Dooley's request?
(a) He does not have the time.
(b) Cindy is not close enough to delivery.
(c) The puppies have not been born yet.
(d) The pregnancy is too far along.
3. What is wrong with Bonzo, the first dog that Herriot sees for the Dimmocks?
(a) He was hit by a car.
(b) He had cancer.
(c) He was poisoned.
(d) He was suffering from neglect.
4. What does Carmondy ask Herriot for?
(a) To stop quizzing him about diseases.
(c) Hands on experience.
(d) A referral.
5. What job do Herriot and Siegfried do for Walt Bennett?
(a) Treat an abscess in an old workhorse.
(b) Saving a colicing horse.
(c) Remove a tumor from a horse's eye.
(d) Geld a colt.
6. What does Herriot think might have caused Kitson's dying ewe to recover?
(a) The lamb for her to take care of.
(b) The care and love she received.
(c) Relief from the pain and suffering.
(d) The antibiotics.
7. How was Mr. Bentley acting strangely?
(a) He was talking to Herriot through an imaginary telephone.
(b) He was dressed in his pajamas to call on the vet.
(c) He was crawling on his hands and knees.
(d) He did not respond to Herriot until Herriot began yelling.
8. What does Walt Bennett do that angers Siegfried?
(a) Doubt his competence.
(b) Yell at him over the phone.
(c) Mistreat a horse.
(d) Ridicule him in front of other clients.
9. How many cats does Mrs. Bond keep?
(a) Only Boris.
(b) One indoor cat and five outdoor cats.
(c) Three indoor cats and three outdoor cats.
(d) Many many cats both indoors and out.
10. Why didn't Herriot refuse the refills of whiskey and food?
(a) He was too hungry to bother.
(b) He enjoyed the taste too much to refuse.
(c) Granville would have taken it personally.
(d) He knew it would be a long night.
11. How does Mr. Wiggin use more of Herriot's time than Herriot feels is necessary?
(a) By trying to lasso all the cows for an injection.
(b) By talking to him incessantly.
(c) By making him walk to a barn far away.
(d) By cuddling each cow before allowing Herriot to inject them.
12. Why did it take so long for Herriot and Granville to reach the bar?
(a) The crowd was too large.
(b) Harriot kept trying to steer Granville away.
(c) Granville kept running into people he knew.
(d) Their were tables and chairs in their way.
13. What did Herriot like most about having students shadow him?
(a) Quizzing them on veterinary knowledge.
(b) He enjoyed having someone to give the dirtier jobs to,
(c) Being amused by their lack of experience.
(d) He liked asking them about new advances in animal medicine.
14. What happens when Herriot tries to trim the beak of Mrs. Tompkin's budgie, Peter?
(a) None of the above.
(b) The budgie bites him.
(c) Peter gets away and flies around the room.
(d) Peter dies as soon as he picks him up.
15. Why did Herriot stop halfway through the lethal injection?
(a) He realized he had grabbed the wrong syringe.
(b) He decided to sedate the animal and try to repair it.
(c) The animal had already died.
(d) He was startled by Colonel Bosworth's objections.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Herriot bring the animal to?
2. Which of the following best characterizes Herriot's opinion of Carmondy at the end of their acquaintance?
3. What does Siegfried tell Herriot his check is for?
4. What chance does Herriot take before euthanizing Penny?
5. What mistake does Herriot make each time he visits Miss Dooley?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)