|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Herriot ever employ the strategy he learned from watching Tristan?
(a) Whenever he feels he needs a challenge.
(b) All the time.
(c) No, he doesn't have the courage.
(d) Only when he desperately needs to.
2. What job do Herriot and Siegfried do for Walt Bennett?
(a) Treat an abscess in an old workhorse.
(b) Saving a colicing horse.
(c) Remove a tumor from a horse's eye.
(d) Geld a colt.
3. Why does Helen go with Herriot when he leaves the Daffodil Ball on his call?
(a) The call is her father's prize bull.
(b) She needed a lift home.
(c) Richard Edmundson was drunk and she wanted to leave.
(d) He asked her if she wanted to.
4. What does Walt Bennett do that angers Siegfried?
(a) Ridicule him in front of other clients.
(b) Doubt his competence.
(c) Yell at him over the phone.
(d) Mistreat a horse.
5. What did the A.A man say to Herriot?
(a) That driving in the snow would be too dangerous.
(b) That his tired were to bald to drive.
(c) That he would have to detour down more windy road.
(d) That the road they had driven the previous night was closed.
6. How was Richard Carmondy different from the other students?
(a) He did not seem at all interested in veterinary science,
(b) He was lazy and unappreciative of the favor Herriot was doing for him.
(c) He had an air of superiority.
(d) He was not afraid to do the jobs that even Herriot cringed from doing.
7. What odd tools did Mr. Ross require to fix the animal?
(a) Ginger root and hot water.
(b) Carrots and the mother's milk.
(c) Sugar, a bottle, and a pig stool.
(d) A step ladder and a ten foot rope.
8. What is Tristan's response to having his foot stepped on by a cow?
(a) Cursing loudly.
(b) Crawl away, dragging his whole leg uselessly.
(c) Adding a fee to the bill.
(d) Stoically going on without showing pain.
9. How does Herriot feel about eating fat on meat?
(a) He gets tired of it.
(b) He loathes it.
(c) He craves it.
(d) He wishes Helen would cook with more fat.
10. What is Tristan able to get from the farmers that Herriot is not?
11. What does Herriot tell Mrs. Chapman as he leaves her house the night of the Daffodil Ball?
(a) He thanks her for getting him out of the Ball.
(b) That Helen is his "young lady".
(c) To not call him again at night unless it's an emergency.
(d) None of the above.
12. What does Miss Dooley, the owner of Cindy, the little pregnant dog, want from Herriot?
(a) For Herriot to supervise the delivery.
(b) A shot to make Cindy deliver her puppies.
(c) A health certificate for all the puppies.
(d) An abortion for Cindy.
13. What saves Herriot from being squashed by Mr. Dacre's bull?
(a) The bull gets bored.
(b) Rotten boards that give way.
(c) Mr. Dacre intervenes by slapping the bull.
(d) A cow walks by the window.
14. Why was the conversation with Mr. Fryer frustrating for Herriot?
(a) Mr. Fryer was constantly busy so Herriot couldn't get him to commit to a time.
(b) Mr. Fryer was consistently vague with his answers.
(c) Mr. Fryer's voice was high pitched and sometimes hard to understand.
(d) Mr. Fryer would not stop cursing while explaining what was wrong.
15. What condition is Helen is as Herriot plans to leave for the Air Force?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is devastated at his departure.
(c) She is absorbed with the work she has to do at Heston Grange.
(d) She is ill with pneumonia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Horners feed Herriot for breakfast one morning when they call him out early?
2. Why do Herriot and Siegfried spend all night talking at the beginning of chapter 41?
3. How do Frank's cows get sick?
4. Who owns the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring to Herriot?
5. What characteristic caused Colonel Bosworth to treat his animals so well?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)