|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did it take so long for Herriot and Granville to reach the bar?
(a) Granville kept running into people he knew.
(b) Their were tables and chairs in their way.
(c) The crowd was too large.
(d) Harriot kept trying to steer Granville away.
2. How do Frank's cows get sick?
(a) Nobody knows.
(b) From a new cow Frank bought at market.
(c) The byre was unsanitary.
(d) The pasture was contaminated.
3. How does Herriot feel about eating fat on meat?
(a) He wishes Helen would cook with more fat.
(b) He craves it.
(c) He gets tired of it.
(d) He loathes it.
4. How was Mr. Bentley acting strangely?
(a) He was talking to Herriot through an imaginary telephone.
(b) He did not respond to Herriot until Herriot began yelling.
(c) He was crawling on his hands and knees.
(d) He was dressed in his pajamas to call on the vet.
5. What does Herriot go to see Boris for?
(a) A broken leg.
(d) A bone stuck in his teeth.
6. What does Herriot think is wrong with Toby, the cocker spaniel?
(a) Nothing, he's just a runt.
(b) He ate something bad.
(c) Internal infection.
7. What is Tristan's response to having his foot stepped on by a cow?
(a) Stoically going on without showing pain.
(b) Adding a fee to the bill.
(c) Crawl away, dragging his whole leg uselessly.
(d) Cursing loudly.
8. What do the Horners feed Herriot for breakfast one morning when they call him out early?
(a) Sausage made with some fat.
(b) An entire meal that has been cooked in bacon fat.
(c) An entire meal cooked without any fat.
(d) Two huge slabs of fat.
9. What characteristic caused Colonel Bosworth to treat his animals so well?
(a) He depended on them for his living.
(b) They were his wife's.
(c) His fear of beasts.
(d) His gentle nature.
10. Why is Siegfried able to comply with Miss Dooley's request?
(a) He and Miss Dooley are good friends.
(b) He happens to be there at the right time.
(c) He has more experience.
(d) He is more accomodating that Herriot.
11. Who owns the cocker spaniel that the Dimmocks bring to Herriot?
(a) Nellie Dimmock.
(b) The Dimmock's neighbor, Mr. Bass.
(c) Jimmy Dimmock.
(d) Mrs. Dimmock.
12. Why were dogs flocking to Mr. Partridge's house?
(a) They were going through his trash.
(b) Mr. Partridge was feeding the strays.
(c) They were attacking Percy.
(d) They were attracted to Percy.
13. Why does Mr. Dacre's bull pin Herriot against the boards?
(a) He was happy to see him.
(b) His head was tied and he couldn't get to Herriot with his horns.
(c) To scratch and itch.
(d) Because Herriot poked him with a needle.
14. What was caught in the throat of Mr. Kirby's goat Dorothy?
(a) Mr. Kirby's summer drawers.
(b) A tin can.
(c) A mass of shredded newspaper.
(d) A Corn-cobb pipe.
15. What holiday is Herriot about to celebrate in chapter twenty?
(a) New Years.
(b) All Saint's Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gyp's response when he sees Sweep years later?
2. How late is Herriot by the end of the afternoon?
3. Which of the following best characterizes Herriot's opinion of Carmondy at the end of their acquaintance?
4. What reason does Herriot believe is the true reason that Mr. Wilkin sold Sweep instead of Gyp?
5. What does Herriot have to return on schedule from the afternoon calls for?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)