|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herriot do to remedy the situation about Peter, Mrs. Tompkin's budgie?
(a) He has Mrs. Tompkin hold him.
(b) He tapes his beak shut.
(c) He catches him with a towel.
(d) He runs to the store and buys another one just like him.
2. Why didn't Herriot refuse the refills of whiskey and food?
(a) He enjoyed the taste too much to refuse.
(b) He was too hungry to bother.
(c) He knew it would be a long night.
(d) Granville would have taken it personally.
3. How many cats does Mrs. Bond keep?
(a) One indoor cat and five outdoor cats.
(b) Only Boris.
(c) Three indoor cats and three outdoor cats.
(d) Many many cats both indoors and out.
4. Where was Percy's tumor?
(a) At the base of his tail.
(b) Above his left eye.
(c) His mouth.
(d) His testicle.
5. In chapter 39, what trait of Helen's does Herriot discuss?
(a) Her obsession with cooking with fat.
(b) Her strict control of his diet.
(c) Her hard work and perserverance.
(d) Her wonderful cooking.
6. Who did Herriot bring the animal to?
(b) Granville Bennett.
(c) Colonel Bosworth.
7. How did Mr. Kitson make the delivery that Herriot performs much more difficult?
(a) By talking loudly the entire time.
(b) By insisting they do it in a tiny dark stall.
(c) By asking Herriot to explain everything he does.
(d) None of the above.
8. What saves Herriot from being squashed by Mr. Dacre's bull?
(a) The bull gets bored.
(b) Mr. Dacre intervenes by slapping the bull.
(c) A cow walks by the window.
(d) Rotten boards that give way.
9. What state is Toby in when Herriot makes his diagnosis and takes him to Granville Bennett?
(b) Raging fever.
(c) Twice his original size.
(d) Skin and bones.
10. Which of the following best characterizes Walt Barnett?
(a) Pompous and demeaning.
(b) Quiet and unassuming.
(c) Rude and demanding.
(d) Professional and courteous.
11. What does Herriot think about the new byre that Frank Metcalf has built?
(a) It is a perfect reflection of all the local byres.
(b) It will never work.
(c) It is the future of dairy farming.
(d) It shows Frank's inexperience.
12. Why did it take so long for Herriot and Granville to reach the bar?
(a) Granville kept running into people he knew.
(b) Their were tables and chairs in their way.
(c) Harriot kept trying to steer Granville away.
(d) The crowd was too large.
13. Which of the following best characterizes Herriot's opinion of Carmondy at the end of their acquaintance?
(a) He was tired of his attitude.
(b) He thought he was comical.
(c) He thought he was intolerable.
(d) He liked him.
14. Mr. Ross is upset and wants to leave the Thwaite farm when he hears what news?
(a) Marmaduke is in the barn treating the cow.
(b) His wife has gone missing.
(c) The goat died on the operating table.
(d) Herriot has an urgent call and has to leave.
15. What job do Herriot and Siegfried do for Walt Bennett?
(a) Geld a colt.
(b) Remove a tumor from a horse's eye.
(c) Saving a colicing horse.
(d) Treat an abscess in an old workhorse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the A.A man say to Herriot?
2. What does Herriot go to see Boris for?
3. What did Frank Metcalf do as a profession for most of his life?
4. What does Siegfried do to get even with Walt Bennett?
5. How do Frank's cows get sick?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)