|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the A.A man say to Herriot?
(a) That the road they had driven the previous night was closed.
(b) That his tired were to bald to drive.
(c) That driving in the snow would be too dangerous.
(d) That he would have to detour down more windy road.
2. What does Siegfried tell Herriot his check is for?
(a) Compensate for a clerical error from some tuberculin testing.
(b) Siegfried is buying a third of Herriot's share in the business for Tristan.
(c) Siegfried just wants to help out.
(d) It is Siegfried's wedding present.
3. What is Tristan able to get from the farmers that Herriot is not?
4. What saves Herriot from being squashed by Mr. Dacre's bull?
(a) The bull gets bored.
(b) A cow walks by the window.
(c) Mr. Dacre intervenes by slapping the bull.
(d) Rotten boards that give way.
5. How did Mr. Kitson make the delivery that Herriot performs much more difficult?
(a) None of the above.
(b) By insisting they do it in a tiny dark stall.
(c) By asking Herriot to explain everything he does.
(d) By talking loudly the entire time.
6. What do the Horners feed Herriot for breakfast one morning when they call him out early?
(a) Sausage made with some fat.
(b) An entire meal that has been cooked in bacon fat.
(c) Two huge slabs of fat.
(d) An entire meal cooked without any fat.
7. What job do Herriot and Siegfried do for Walt Bennett?
(a) Remove a tumor from a horse's eye.
(b) Treat an abscess in an old workhorse.
(c) Geld a colt.
(d) Saving a colicing horse.
8. How does Herriot consume the meal served to him by the Horners?
(a) Slowly and appreciately.
(b) He gobbles it down voraciously.
(c) He smothers it in piccalilli so can't taste it.
(d) He feeds much of it to the dog when the Horsners aren't looking.
9. What does Herriot go to see Boris for?
(c) A bone stuck in his teeth.
(d) A broken leg.
10. Which of the following best characterizes Walt Barnett?
(a) Rude and demanding.
(b) Pompous and demeaning.
(c) Professional and courteous.
(d) Quiet and unassuming.
11. In chapter 39, what trait of Helen's does Herriot discuss?
(a) Her hard work and perserverance.
(b) Her strict control of his diet.
(c) Her wonderful cooking.
(d) Her obsession with cooking with fat.
12. Why do Herriot and Siegfried spend all night talking at the beginning of chapter 41?
(a) Helen is staying at her parents.
(b) They haven't seen each other in weeks.
(c) Siegfried is leaving for the Air Force the next day.
(d) They have a lot of business they need to discuss.
13. What does Herriot have to return on schedule from the afternoon calls for?
(a) Dinner with the Hodgsons.
(b) Helen's doctors appointment.
(c) To medicate a sick dog.
(d) The farewell party for Siegfried.
14. Why didn't Herriot refuse the refills of whiskey and food?
(a) He knew it would be a long night.
(b) He enjoyed the taste too much to refuse.
(c) Granville would have taken it personally.
(d) He was too hungry to bother.
15. What does Herriot think might have caused Kitson's dying ewe to recover?
(a) The care and love she received.
(b) The antibiotics.
(c) The lamb for her to take care of.
(d) Relief from the pain and suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the conversation with Mr. Fryer frustrating for Herriot?
2. Mr. Ross is upset and wants to leave the Thwaite farm when he hears what news?
3. What holiday is Herriot about to celebrate in chapter twenty?
4. What does Siegfried do to get even with Walt Bennett?
5. What has Gyp never done in his life?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)