|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Herriot and Helen go when they leave the Daffodil Ball?
(a) First to Skeldale House for tools and then to see a dog.
(b) After a long stop by the moonlit river, to Heston Grange.
(c) After a quick stop at Skeldale House, to a farm on the outskirts to see a bull.
(d) Straight to Heston Grange, Helen's home.
2. What is Tristan's response to having his foot stepped on by a cow?
(a) Cursing loudly.
(b) Stoically going on without showing pain.
(c) Crawl away, dragging his whole leg uselessly.
(d) Adding a fee to the bill.
3. What has Gyp never done in his life?
(a) Work sheep.
(c) Chase cars.
4. Despite his good lineage, why can't Gyp's owner breed Gyp?
(a) Because all his dogs are related to Gyp.
(b) Because Gyp injured himself in a way that prevents him from being bred.
(c) Because he doesn't have Gyp's registration papers.
(d) Because Gyp has epilepsy.
5. What is Herriot thinking of when he tries this last tactic to cure Penny?
(a) Mr. Kitson's ewe.
(b) A chemistry lesson from high school.
(c) Roy, the golden retriever.
(d) The Flaxton's little girl.
6. What characteristic caused Colonel Bosworth to treat his animals so well?
(a) His fear of beasts.
(b) He depended on them for his living.
(c) They were his wife's.
(d) His gentle nature.
7. What holiday is Herriot about to celebrate in chapter twenty?
(c) New Years.
(d) All Saint's Day.
8. What does Siegfried do to get even with Walt Bennett?
(a) Turns him into the authorities for animal abuse.
(b) Lets his dog bite him.
(c) He charges him ten pounds for a job that usually costs one or two.
(d) Ridicules his horse to a group in a pub.
9. How does Herriot usually catch Mrs. Bond's cats?
(a) With a humane trap.
(b) Luring them in with tuna.
(c) Patiently calling them and coaxing them.
(d) Waiting next to the cat door and grabbing them when they come through.
10. Why does the disease have such serious ramifications for Frank?
(a) It causes the cows to abort and not produce milk.
(b) It kills the cattle.
(c) It was caused by the byre he built.
(d) The locals already doubted his ability.
11. What did Frank Metcalf do as a profession for most of his life?
(a) An accountant.
(b) A hired farm hand.
(c) A sheep farmer.
(d) A steelworker in Middlesbrough.
12. What does Siegfried tell Herriot his check is for?
(a) It is Siegfried's wedding present.
(b) Compensate for a clerical error from some tuberculin testing.
(c) Siegfried just wants to help out.
(d) Siegfried is buying a third of Herriot's share in the business for Tristan.
13. Why was Mr. Biggins reluctant to ask Herriot to look at his cow?
(a) He was afraid of a large bill.
(b) His cow did not like vets.
(c) He wasn't sure Herriot could be trusted with his prized cow.
(d) He was worried the cow would have to be put down.
14. What does Miss Dooley, the owner of Cindy, the little pregnant dog, want from Herriot?
(a) For Herriot to supervise the delivery.
(b) A shot to make Cindy deliver her puppies.
(c) A health certificate for all the puppies.
(d) An abortion for Cindy.
15. What happened to Richard Carmondy on a call with Herriot?
(a) He openly contradicted Herriot infront of a farmer.
(b) He quit and decided to go home.
(c) He lost his dignity when a dog bit him on his buttocks.
(d) The farmer laughed at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Throughout the beginning of chapter 20, what sound is present?
2. How late is Herriot by the end of the afternoon?
3. What does Herriot think about the new byre that Frank Metcalf has built?
4. Who is Sam?
5. What odd tools did Mr. Ross require to fix the animal?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)