|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carmondy ask Herriot for?
(a) To stop quizzing him about diseases.
(b) Hands on experience.
(d) A referral.
2. What was wrong with Mr. Thwaite's cow?
(a) She delivered her uterus.
(b) She had a broken leg.
(c) She had a severe copper deficiency .
(d) She calf was stillborn.
3. What do the Kirby's do that Mr. Brown does not?
(a) All of the above.
(b) They offer Herriot something to eat and drink.
(c) They apologize for getting him up early.
(d) They wish Herriot a Merry Christmas.
4. What does Herriot have to return on schedule from the afternoon calls for?
(a) Helen's doctors appointment.
(b) Dinner with the Hodgsons.
(c) The farewell party for Siegfried.
(d) To medicate a sick dog.
5. What characteristic caused Colonel Bosworth to treat his animals so well?
(a) His gentle nature.
(b) They were his wife's.
(c) He depended on them for his living.
(d) His fear of beasts.
6. Throughout the beginning of chapter 20, what sound is present?
(a) The laughter of children.
(b) The barking of the neighbor's dog.
(c) The ringing of bells.
(d) The sound of a choir singing,
7. Why didn't Herriot refuse the refills of whiskey and food?
(a) He enjoyed the taste too much to refuse.
(b) Granville would have taken it personally.
(c) He knew it would be a long night.
(d) He was too hungry to bother.
8. What chance does Herriot take before euthanizing Penny?
(a) Doubling the dosage of the medicine.
(b) Sedating her heavily for several days to break the cycle.
(c) Threatening to call the authorities.
(d) Taking her to the clinic to heal.
9. What condition is Helen is as Herriot plans to leave for the Air Force?
(a) She is absorbed with the work she has to do at Heston Grange.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is ill with pneumonia.
(d) She is devastated at his departure.
10. Why does Mr. Dacre's bull pin Herriot against the boards?
(a) Because Herriot poked him with a needle.
(b) His head was tied and he couldn't get to Herriot with his horns.
(c) He was happy to see him.
(d) To scratch and itch.
11. How many cats does Mrs. Bond keep?
(a) Three indoor cats and three outdoor cats.
(b) One indoor cat and five outdoor cats.
(c) Many many cats both indoors and out.
(d) Only Boris.
12. What does Siegfried tell Herriot his check is for?
(a) Siegfried is buying a third of Herriot's share in the business for Tristan.
(b) Siegfried just wants to help out.
(c) Compensate for a clerical error from some tuberculin testing.
(d) It is Siegfried's wedding present.
13. What mistake does Herriot make each time he visits Miss Dooley?
(a) He calls her by the wrong name.
(b) He arrives at the wrong time.
(c) He forgets to bring the right drugs.
(d) He misdiagnoses Cindy's condition.
14. What was Colonel Bosworth's reason for seeing Herriot?
(a) His terrior, Emmit was not eating.
(b) His cat, Maudie was struck by a car.
(c) His rabbit, Duchess was attacked by dogs.
(d) His collie, Sam was injured in a fight.
15. Who is Marmaduke "Duke" Skelton?
(a) An experienced old farmer.
(b) Mr. Thwaite's cousin from the city.
(c) A retired veterinarian.
(d) A local animal healer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the conversation with Mr. Fryer frustrating for Herriot?
2. Who did Herriot bring the animal to?
3. What is Gyp's response when he sees Sweep years later?
4. Why does Helen go with Herriot when he leaves the Daffodil Ball on his call?
5. How does Herriot usually catch Mrs. Bond's cats?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)