|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interferes with the enjoyment of Herriot's purchase at home?
(a) The smell.
(b) The color is awful.
(c) There is no room to use it.
(d) None of the above.
2. Why was Herriot uneasy about taking a blood sample from Monty?
(a) Herriot hated drawing blood.
(b) Harry Sumner had no way to hold the bull still.
(c) The bull had grown and turned mean.
(d) The light was dim in the box. Herriot wasn't sure he could find a vein.
3. Who or what does Herriot end up prescribing a solution for that also cures the mastitis of Mr. Pickersgill's cow?
(a) The odor in the barn.
(b) The cow's dull coat.
(d) Mr. Pickersgill's back.
4. Where does Herriot go when he leaves the Crumps?
(a) Back to his house without finishing his rounds.
(b) He is called to the Bamfords for an emergency calving.
(c) To the Crump's neighbors called the Bamfords.
(d) He falls asleep in his car.
5. Why does Herbert not have a mother?
(a) None of the above.
(b) She rejected him at birth.
(c) His mother is sickly and the farmer removed him.
(d) She died giving birth.
6. What does Herriot purchase in the auction house?
(a) A large rug for the living room.
(b) A twenty-four volume set of the the geography of the world.
(c) An old set of outdated medical tools.
(d) A weaving loom.
7. Where do people report seeing the monk at night?
(a) Walking in the hallways of the church.
(b) On the moor.
(c) On a hill close to an old abbey.
(d) Crossing the town square.
8. Who is Mrs. Donovan?
(a) A nosy old lady.
(b) An old gypsy.
(c) A woman who fancies herself an animal doctor.
(d) All of the above.
9. Why does Herriot end up officiating at the Darrowby show?
(a) He was the only vet on the grounds.
(b) Siegfried is out of town that day.
(c) The usual officiator fell ill that day.
(d) He owed a favor to the town councilman.
10. Why is communication with Joe Mulligan difficult?
(a) Joe has an extremely thick accent.
(b) Joe is nearly deaf.
(c) Joe always argues.
(d) Joe never pays attention and does what he thinks is best.
11. What happens when Herriot injects the cow?
(a) She stops panicking so they can set her leg.
(b) She relaxes, and few minutes later stands up.
(c) She dies.
(d) She goes into convulsions.
12. What do Granville and Herriot do while waiting for Dinah to wake up?
(a) Discuss animal care.
(b) Make a call to treat a cow.
(c) Place bets on race horses.
(d) Eat and drink.
13. How does Siegfried treat Mrs. Dalby when she comes to Skeldale house?
(b) Like royalty.
(c) With great empathy for the family's hardship.
(d) With fondness and jocularity.
14. What delightful occurrence makes Herriot forget his discomfort while out for a moment in chapter one?
(a) The birth of a new lamb.
(b) The farmer's hearty welcome and thanks.
(c) A taste of Mrs Ingledew's pie.
(d) The sight of a cow he saved the year before.
15. What condition are the second group of young cows in that Herriot goes to see at the Dalby farm?
(a) Clearly very sick and thin,
(b) Coughing uncontrallably.
(c) Robust and energetic.
(d) Lethargic and feverish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
2. What is the last thing Herriot sees at the Darrowby show?
3. What does Herriot feel vets are regularly called to do?
4. After all the horses were gone from Harland Grange, what animal replaced them?
5. Who is Herriot with when they see the monk at night?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)