|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How easy does Herriot find it to diagnose the second batch of Darby cattle?
(a) He knows almost immediately that it is going to be just as bad.
(b) He has no idea what is wrong the first two times he sees them.
(c) He still does not know what was wrong with them.
(d) It takes him a long time because he has to do several tests.
2. What could Herriot do medicinally for the cattle with husk?
(a) Very little beyond worming them.
(b) Pump a vitamin syrup into their stomachs.
(c) An operation.
(d) An injection.
3. What made survival for the Dalby family especially difficult?
(a) They weren't from the area and so didn't know the land well.
(b) The death of Billy Dalby, the father.
(c) They had a huge family and a supported others that couldn't work.
(d) A horrible accident that had crippled the father, Billy.
4. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
(a) A wad of cash.
(b) A jug of ale.
(d) A new hoof knife.
5. Who or what does Herriot end up prescribing a solution for that also cures the mastitis of Mr. Pickersgill's cow?
(a) The odor in the barn.
(c) The cow's dull coat.
(d) Mr. Pickersgill's back.
6. Why did Harry Sumner get Monty?
(a) Because he was for sale at the fair for almost nothing.
(b) To improve his herd.
(c) Because something had been attacking his cows.
(d) Monty was given to him because he was mean.
7. What animal does Herriot place first in the Family Pets competition?
(a) A tabby cat.
(b) The mynah bird.
(c) The labrador.
(d) The goldfish.
8. What do Granville and Herriot do while waiting for Dinah to wake up?
(a) Place bets on race horses.
(b) Discuss animal care.
(c) Make a call to treat a cow.
(d) Eat and drink.
9. What was especially difficult about Herriot's purchase at the auction house?
(a) Figuring out how to set it up.
(b) Transporting it to his car.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Explaining to Helen what he had purchased.
10. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
(a) The ground was too uneven to measure well.
(b) The ponies wouldn't stand still to be measured.
(c) Owners tried to convince Herriot the ponies were a different size.
(d) Herriot had to catch each pony to measure it.
11. What causes a cloud to darken Herriot's day a the Darrowby show?
(a) Helen is walking around with Richard Edmundson.
(b) Nobody wants his help or advice.
(c) He realizes he won't be getting paid for the job.
(d) The usual officiator keeps telling him what to do.
12. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
(a) Jock no longer seems to have fun chasing cars.
(b) Jock's puppies are Jock's equal in speed.
(c) Jock takes racing very seriously.
(d) All of the above.
13. How was Badger's death significant to Harland Grange?
(a) He was the only stallion.
(b) He was their only prized show horse.
(c) He was the last work horse.
(d) He was every worker's favorite horse.
14. How does Herbert stay alive without a mother?
(a) An old ewe lets him nurse with her babies.
(b) He nurses off random unsuspecting ewes.
(c) He fends for himself eating grass.
(d) The farmer feeds him.
15. Where do people report seeing the monk at night?
(a) Crossing the town square.
(b) Walking in the hallways of the church.
(c) On the moor.
(d) On a hill close to an old abbey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two animals does Herriot treat or diagnose at the Darrowby show?
2. What does Mr. Pickersgill want to try on his cow to cure the mastitis?
3. How do Herbert and the ewe end up together?
4. What does Siegfried chastise Herriot and Tristan for in chapter six?
5. What phrase does Mrs Donovan repeat to Herriot for years?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)