|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How easy does Herriot find it to diagnose the second batch of Darby cattle?
(a) He has no idea what is wrong the first two times he sees them.
(b) It takes him a long time because he has to do several tests.
(c) He knows almost immediately that it is going to be just as bad.
(d) He still does not know what was wrong with them.
2. What flavors of wine does Herriot try at Mr. Crumps house?
(a) Parsely, clover, gooseberry, bettroot, and crabapple.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Rhubarb, elderflower, blackberry, and parsnip,
(d) Dandelion, turnips, and cowslip.
3. What was especially difficult about Herriot's purchase at the auction house?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Explaining to Helen what he had purchased.
(c) Transporting it to his car.
(d) Figuring out how to set it up.
4. What animal does Herriot place first in the Family Pets competition?
(a) The goldfish.
(b) A tabby cat.
(c) The labrador.
(d) The mynah bird.
5. What does Herriot purchase in the auction house?
(a) An old set of outdated medical tools.
(b) A large rug for the living room.
(c) A twenty-four volume set of the the geography of the world.
(d) A weaving loom.
6. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
(b) A jug of ale.
(c) A new hoof knife.
(d) A wad of cash.
7. When Herriot goes walking through the vegetables to clear his mind, what does he hear?
(a) That gossip and rumors are the best part of the show.
(b) That Helen and Richard were to be married.
(c) About suspected corruption and cheating in the vegetable competitions.
(d) Someone defending him against the accusations.
8. What animals does Herriot have to judge in the family pet competition?
(a) A broad selection of dogs, mostly herding dogs.
(b) Dogs and cats.
(c) Dogs, cats, rabbits, and a fish.
(d) A wide array from Mynah birds to bulldogs to goldfish.
9. What did the inspector find in an old shed?
(a) The bones of many cats.
(b) A patient, starving, yellow dog.
(c) All of the above.
(d) An old horse.
10. What does Mr Kendall give to Siegfried when they call to his ranch to see a cow?
(a) A stethoscope Siegfried left there.
(b) A jug of ale to share when the job was done.
(c) Fake money.
11. What does Herriot feel vets are regularly called to do?
(a) To keep a safe distance from any unruly animal.
(b) To step open-eyed into dangerous situations.
(c) Answer general questions about animal husbandry.
(d) To influence farmers to treat their animals better.
12. Who is Mrs. Donovan?
(a) All of the above.
(b) An old gypsy.
(c) A woman who fancies herself an animal doctor.
(d) A nosy old lady.
13. Why does Herriot get ill while waiting for Dinah with Granville?
(a) He came down with a flu going around.
(b) The farm they went to smelled horribly.
(c) Granville gave him some tonic that made him ill.
(d) He felt obliged to eat and drink what Granville served him.
14. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
(a) Onto Helen's family property.
(b) The third story of the Skeldale House.
(c) A small cottage on the edge of town.
(d) Into a flat next door to the clinic.
15. How long does it take Granville to work on Dinah?
(a) Almost all day.
(b) A couple hours.
(d) Almost an hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is peace restored to Jock's life?
2. Why won't Herriot let the man with the terrier show his dog?
3. What phrase does Mrs Donovan repeat to Herriot for years?
4. What condition are the second group of young cows in that Herriot goes to see at the Dalby farm?
5. What do Helen and Herriot need that he is designated to pick up at house sales?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)