|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Herriot let the man with the terrier show his dog?
(a) The dog has a temperature and Herriot suspects distemper.
(b) The dog is not registered.
(c) The dog is uncontrollable.
(d) The dog is of the wrong breed.
2. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
(a) They drink contaminated water.
(b) They are chased by a dog.
(c) They catch a virus.
(d) They go hungry.
3. What is the last thing Herriot sees at the Darrowby show?
(a) The usual officiator laughing over beer with all the farmers.
(b) The goldfish in its bowl forgotten on a table.
(c) The cow he treated at the beginning getting into a truck.
(d) Helen leaving in a fancy car with Richard while he crank starts his.
4. Why does Herriot end up officiating at the Darrowby show?
(a) He owed a favor to the town councilman.
(b) He was the only vet on the grounds.
(c) The usual officiator fell ill that day.
(d) Siegfried is out of town that day.
5. What was Herriot's opinion of horse work?
(a) "The simplest and most pleasant work we are handed."
(b) "The bleakest and least studied part of our field."
(c) "The most dangerous and thrilling work for a vet."
(d) "The roughest and most arduous part of our life."
6. What does Mr Kendall give to Siegfried when they call to his ranch to see a cow?
(a) A stethoscope Siegfried left there.
(c) A jug of ale to share when the job was done.
(d) Fake money.
7. What do Helen and Herriot need that he is designated to pick up at house sales?
(a) Decor for the walls.
(b) Basics for the house like chairs and rugs.
(c) Antiques to give as gifts.
8. What do vets do for husk today?
(a) None of the above.
(b) The exact same process.
(c) Administer antibiotics.
(d) There is a vaccine and a good therapeutic agent.
9. In chapter one, Herriot returns to bed after a long night out. Where was he?
(a) Delivering a lamb at the Ingledew farm.
(b) Rescuing Mr. Ingledew's injured horse.
(c) Out drinking with Mr. Ingledew.
(d) Stuck at a social gathering at the Ingledew farm.
10. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
(a) A small cottage on the edge of town.
(b) The third story of the Skeldale House.
(c) Into a flat next door to the clinic.
(d) Onto Helen's family property.
11. What does Siegfried chastise Herriot and Tristan for in chapter six?
(a) Drinking on the job.
(b) Not being punctual.
(c) Being careless and flippant.
(d) Leaving instruments at farms after a field call.
12. After driving by the scene of the hauntings at night, what is Herriot surprised by when he returns to Skeldale house?
(a) Another sighting of the ghost that night.
(b) An unknown car parked in his spot in the garage.
(c) Tristan and Siegfried waiting up for him.
(d) Tristan dressed as a monk in his room.
13. What caused the eventual disappearance of the draught horse?
(a) The invention of the tractor.
(b) The disapearance of family farms.
(c) A mass outbreak of equine diseases.
(d) Their replacement with mules.
14. Why does Herriot get ill while waiting for Dinah with Granville?
(a) Granville gave him some tonic that made him ill.
(b) He felt obliged to eat and drink what Granville served him.
(c) He came down with a flu going around.
(d) The farm they went to smelled horribly.
15. What phrase does Mrs Donovan repeat to Herriot for years?
(a) "Don't you wish you knew my secrets?"
(b) "Stick to livestock."
(c) "Haven't I made a difference to this dog?"
(d) "Old remedies are the best remedies."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Zoe, Granville's wife?
2. What response does Mrs. Crump have to Mr. Crump offering Herriot some of his wine?
3. What did the inspector find in an old shed?
4. Why does Herbert not have a mother?
5. What was Herriot suspected of for his placement of the family pets winners?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)