|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Granville Bennett?
(a) An animal healer.
(b) A local horse vet.
(c) A dangerously incompetent veterinarian nearby.
(d) A very accomplished small animal vet in a nearby town.
2. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
(a) They catch a virus.
(b) They are chased by a dog.
(c) They drink contaminated water.
(d) They go hungry.
3. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
(a) Jock takes racing very seriously.
(b) Jock's puppies are Jock's equal in speed.
(c) Jock no longer seems to have fun chasing cars.
(d) All of the above.
4. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
(a) Do his repair work at night on full moons.
(b) Keeps his lambing pens near his neighbors house.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Sing loudly when he's drunk.
5. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
(a) He occasionally stops and just lies in the sunshine when he's on his rounds.
(b) He carries a jug of ale in the car for after especially challenging calls.
(c) He insists on warm water even when the weather is warm.
(d) None of the above.
6. What does Mr. Pickersgill call mastitis?
(a) Them masticks.
(b) Hot udder.
7. What causes a cloud to darken Herriot's day a the Darrowby show?
(a) Helen is walking around with Richard Edmundson.
(b) Nobody wants his help or advice.
(c) He realizes he won't be getting paid for the job.
(d) The usual officiator keeps telling him what to do.
8. What made Ben Ashby rethink getting a closer look at Harry Sumner's heifer?
(a) Monty, Harry Sumner's bull.
(b) No one wanted to go with him into the pasture.
(c) Ben has arthritus and couldn't make it over the fence.
(d) Herriot advised him not to.
9. What is wrong with the cow that Herriot and Helen's father go to treat?
(a) A broken leg.
(b) A magnesium deficiency called "the staggers."
(c) They have no idea.
(d) She ate a poisonous plant.
10. How does Siegfried treat Mrs. Dalby when she comes to Skeldale house?
(a) With fondness and jocularity.
(b) With great empathy for the family's hardship.
(d) Like royalty.
11. What happens when Herriot injects the cow?
(a) She stops panicking so they can set her leg.
(b) She dies.
(c) She relaxes, and few minutes later stands up.
(d) She goes into convulsions.
12. Who is Mrs. Donovan?
(a) A woman who fancies herself an animal doctor.
(b) A nosy old lady.
(c) An old gypsy.
(d) All of the above.
13. Why was Herriot uneasy about taking a blood sample from Monty?
(a) Herriot hated drawing blood.
(b) The bull had grown and turned mean.
(c) Harry Sumner had no way to hold the bull still.
(d) The light was dim in the box. Herriot wasn't sure he could find a vein.
14. What caused the eventual disappearance of the draught horse?
(a) The disapearance of family farms.
(b) The invention of the tractor.
(c) Their replacement with mules.
(d) A mass outbreak of equine diseases.
15. How long does it take Granville to work on Dinah?
(a) Almost all day.
(c) A couple hours.
(d) Almost an hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two animals does Herriot treat or diagnose at the Darrowby show?
2. Why did Harry Sumner get Monty?
3. What does Herriot learn about the Bamfords the day after he goes there?
4. What does Herriot do for Mrs Donovan and Roy?
5. What animal does Herriot place first in the Family Pets competition?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)