|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herriot feel vets are regularly called to do?
(a) To keep a safe distance from any unruly animal.
(b) Answer general questions about animal husbandry.
(c) To influence farmers to treat their animals better.
(d) To step open-eyed into dangerous situations.
2. Why was Herriot uneasy about taking a blood sample from Monty?
(a) Herriot hated drawing blood.
(b) The bull had grown and turned mean.
(c) The light was dim in the box. Herriot wasn't sure he could find a vein.
(d) Harry Sumner had no way to hold the bull still.
3. Who or what does Herriot end up prescribing a solution for that also cures the mastitis of Mr. Pickersgill's cow?
(a) Mr. Pickersgill's back.
(b) The odor in the barn.
(d) The cow's dull coat.
4. What does Herriot learn about the Bamfords the day after he goes there?
(a) There were ruthlessly against drinking and alcohol.
(b) They lost a cow because he didn't make it there in time.
(c) They thought he was homeless.
(d) They often hosted people leaving the Crumps.
5. What was Herriot suspected of for his placement of the family pets winners?
(a) Taking bribes.
(b) Being biased against rabbits.
(c) Giving first place to the squire's son.
(d) Awarding prizes to his clients.
6. How does Siegfried treat Mrs. Dalby when she comes to Skeldale house?
(a) Like royalty.
(b) With fondness and jocularity.
(d) With great empathy for the family's hardship.
7. What did the inspector find in an old shed?
(a) All of the above.
(b) An old horse.
(c) A patient, starving, yellow dog.
(d) The bones of many cats.
8. Who is Granville Bennett?
(a) An animal healer.
(b) A local horse vet.
(c) A dangerously incompetent veterinarian nearby.
(d) A very accomplished small animal vet in a nearby town.
9. What do Granville and Herriot do while waiting for Dinah to wake up?
(a) Eat and drink.
(b) Discuss animal care.
(c) Make a call to treat a cow.
(d) Place bets on race horses.
10. What could Herriot do medicinally for the cattle with husk?
(a) Very little beyond worming them.
(b) Pump a vitamin syrup into their stomachs.
(c) An operation.
(d) An injection.
11. What flavors of wine does Herriot try at Mr. Crumps house?
(a) Rhubarb, elderflower, blackberry, and parsnip,
(b) Parsely, clover, gooseberry, bettroot, and crabapple.
(c) Dandelion, turnips, and cowslip.
(d) All of the above.
12. What animals does Herriot have to judge in the family pet competition?
(a) Dogs and cats.
(b) Dogs, cats, rabbits, and a fish.
(c) A wide array from Mynah birds to bulldogs to goldfish.
(d) A broad selection of dogs, mostly herding dogs.
13. In the beginning of chapter 15, why is Siegfried especially touchy and cantankerous?
(a) He and Tristan had been fighting about finances.
(b) He has a toothache.
(c) He has just been forced to give up smoking for health reasons.
(d) He was unsuccesful treating a dog the day before and it died.
14. Why is communication with Joe Mulligan difficult?
(a) Joe is nearly deaf.
(b) Joe has an extremely thick accent.
(c) Joe always argues.
(d) Joe never pays attention and does what he thinks is best.
15. What made survival for the Dalby family especially difficult?
(a) A horrible accident that had crippled the father, Billy.
(b) They had a huge family and a supported others that couldn't work.
(c) They weren't from the area and so didn't know the land well.
(d) The death of Billy Dalby, the father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What delightful occurrence makes Herriot forget his discomfort while out for a moment in chapter one?
2. What is Jock's favorite thing?
3. In chapter one, Herriot returns to bed after a long night out. Where was he?
4. What was wrong with Harry Sumner's young bull?
5. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)