|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Herriot and Tristan reluctant to fully diagnose Clancy?
(a) Because they are afraid of what they will find.
(b) Because he is mean and extremely large.
(c) Because he is very smelly.
(d) None of the above.
2. What condition are the second group of young cows in that Herriot goes to see at the Dalby farm?
(a) Robust and energetic.
(b) Clearly very sick and thin,
(c) Lethargic and feverish.
(d) Coughing uncontrallably.
3. How does Dinah do after being treated by Granville?
(a) She dies three days later.
(b) She never fully recovers.
(c) She recovers quickly.
(d) She is hospitalized for over a week.
4. What caused Herriot discomfort during chapter one?
(a) Being the outsider in a local gathering.
(b) The extreme cold.
(c) The mud.
(d) Mr Ingledew's inappropriate stories.
5. What does Mr. Pickersgill want to try on his cow to cure the mastitis?
(a) Another vet.
(b) A salve.
(c) A shot.
(d) A long turn out in the pasture.
6. What does Herriot do for Mrs Donovan and Roy?
(a) Nurse Roy back to health.
(b) Agree to visit them daily for a couple weeks.
(c) Set a broken bone free of charge.
(d) Convince the inspector to let her keep him.
7. What delightful occurrence makes Herriot forget his discomfort while out for a moment in chapter one?
(a) A taste of Mrs Ingledew's pie.
(b) The farmer's hearty welcome and thanks.
(c) The sight of a cow he saved the year before.
(d) The birth of a new lamb.
8. What made Ben Ashby rethink getting a closer look at Harry Sumner's heifer?
(a) Ben has arthritus and couldn't make it over the fence.
(b) No one wanted to go with him into the pasture.
(c) Herriot advised him not to.
(d) Monty, Harry Sumner's bull.
9. Who is Granville Bennett?
(a) A very accomplished small animal vet in a nearby town.
(b) A local horse vet.
(c) A dangerously incompetent veterinarian nearby.
(d) An animal healer.
10. What flavors of wine does Herriot try at Mr. Crumps house?
(a) Dandelion, turnips, and cowslip.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Rhubarb, elderflower, blackberry, and parsnip,
(d) Parsely, clover, gooseberry, bettroot, and crabapple.
11. In chapter one, Herriot returns to bed after a long night out. Where was he?
(a) Rescuing Mr. Ingledew's injured horse.
(b) Delivering a lamb at the Ingledew farm.
(c) Stuck at a social gathering at the Ingledew farm.
(d) Out drinking with Mr. Ingledew.
12. Why did Harry say that Monty was ungrateful?
(a) Monty could have been put down, but they saved him.
(b) He was mean despite living an easy life.
(c) Herriot had saved his life and the bull had turned on him.
(d) Monty refused the food offered to him.
13. What does Herriot feel vets are regularly called to do?
(a) Answer general questions about animal husbandry.
(b) To keep a safe distance from any unruly animal.
(c) To influence farmers to treat their animals better.
(d) To step open-eyed into dangerous situations.
14. What could Herriot do medicinally for the cattle with husk?
(a) Pump a vitamin syrup into their stomachs.
(b) An operation.
(c) An injection.
(d) Very little beyond worming them.
15. Who is Herriot with when they see the monk at night?
(a) Horace Dawson.
(b) Deputy Claude Blenkiron.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals does Herriot have to judge in the family pet competition?
2. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
3. Which of the following could be used to describe Granville Bennett?
4. What causes a cloud to darken Herriot's day a the Darrowby show?
5. How does Herbert stay alive without a mother?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)