|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Granville Bennett do for Herriot?
(a) Operate on an old spaniel in delicate condition.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Recommend him to a local farmer.
(d) Agree to hand over a patient that needed to be hospitalized.
2. What was wrong with Harry Sumner's young bull?
(a) He went blind.
(b) McLuskie's Disease
(d) He had hairball in his fourth stomach.
3. Why does Herriot suspect that Mr. Pickersgill is the cause of the problem with his cow's mastitis?
(a) Mr. Pickersgill constantly sprays chemicals in the barn.
(b) Mr. Pickersgill beds the stall so deeply it chaffes the cow.
(c) Mr. Pickersgill milks the cow very roughly.
(d) Mr. Pickersgill in always inventing new "vitamins" for the cow.
4. What does Herriot learn about the Bamfords the day after he goes there?
(a) They lost a cow because he didn't make it there in time.
(b) There were ruthlessly against drinking and alcohol.
(c) They thought he was homeless.
(d) They often hosted people leaving the Crumps.
5. Why are Herriot and Tristan reluctant to fully diagnose Clancy?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Because they are afraid of what they will find.
(c) Because he is very smelly.
(d) Because he is mean and extremely large.
6. What happened to Badger?
(a) He went blind.
(b) He developed lockjaw.
(c) He was retired from plowing and died of old age.
(d) He broke his leg jumping a fence.
7. What do Helen and Herriot need that he is designated to pick up at house sales?
(a) Decor for the walls.
(b) Antiques to give as gifts.
(d) Basics for the house like chairs and rugs.
8. What phrase does Mrs Donovan repeat to Herriot for years?
(a) "Old remedies are the best remedies."
(b) "Stick to livestock."
(c) "Don't you wish you knew my secrets?"
(d) "Haven't I made a difference to this dog?"
9. What two animals does Herriot treat or diagnose at the Darrowby show?
(a) A cow and a dog.
(b) A pig and a horse.
(c) A cow and a pig.
(d) A dog and a pony.
10. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
(b) A wad of cash.
(c) A jug of ale.
(d) A new hoof knife.
11. What caused the eventual disappearance of the draught horse?
(a) Their replacement with mules.
(b) The disapearance of family farms.
(c) A mass outbreak of equine diseases.
(d) The invention of the tractor.
12. What animal does Herriot place first in the Family Pets competition?
(a) A tabby cat.
(b) The goldfish.
(c) The labrador.
(d) The mynah bird.
13. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
(a) They catch a virus.
(b) They drink contaminated water.
(c) They go hungry.
(d) They are chased by a dog.
14. What did the inspector find in an old shed?
(a) The bones of many cats.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A patient, starving, yellow dog.
(d) An old horse.
15. What does Herriot purchase in the auction house?
(a) An old set of outdated medical tools.
(b) A large rug for the living room.
(c) A twenty-four volume set of the the geography of the world.
(d) A weaving loom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Badger's death significant to Harland Grange?
2. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
3. What could Herriot do medicinally for the cattle with husk?
4. After all the horses were gone from Harland Grange, what animal replaced them?
5. In the beginning of chapter 15, why is Siegfried especially touchy and cantankerous?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)