|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Herriot suspected of for his placement of the family pets winners?
(a) Being biased against rabbits.
(b) Awarding prizes to his clients.
(c) Taking bribes.
(d) Giving first place to the squire's son.
2. What was wrong with the second batch of cows on the Darby farm?
(a) A rare virus.
(b) He still does not know.
(c) Copper deficiency.
3. What could Herriot do medicinally for the cattle with husk?
(a) An injection.
(b) Pump a vitamin syrup into their stomachs.
(c) An operation.
(d) Very little beyond worming them.
4. Why does Herriot end up officiating at the Darrowby show?
(a) The usual officiator fell ill that day.
(b) He owed a favor to the town councilman.
(c) He was the only vet on the grounds.
(d) Siegfried is out of town that day.
5. Why does Herriot get ill while waiting for Dinah with Granville?
(a) Granville gave him some tonic that made him ill.
(b) The farm they went to smelled horribly.
(c) He came down with a flu going around.
(d) He felt obliged to eat and drink what Granville served him.
6. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
(a) Onto Helen's family property.
(b) A small cottage on the edge of town.
(c) The third story of the Skeldale House.
(d) Into a flat next door to the clinic.
7. What caused Herriot discomfort during chapter one?
(a) The mud.
(b) Mr Ingledew's inappropriate stories.
(c) Being the outsider in a local gathering.
(d) The extreme cold.
8. What causes a cloud to darken Herriot's day a the Darrowby show?
(a) Helen is walking around with Richard Edmundson.
(b) Nobody wants his help or advice.
(c) He realizes he won't be getting paid for the job.
(d) The usual officiator keeps telling him what to do.
9. Who or what does Herriot end up prescribing a solution for that also cures the mastitis of Mr. Pickersgill's cow?
(a) Mr. Pickersgill's back.
(b) The cow's dull coat.
(d) The odor in the barn.
10. Who is Granville Bennett?
(a) A dangerously incompetent veterinarian nearby.
(b) An animal healer.
(c) A very accomplished small animal vet in a nearby town.
(d) A local horse vet.
11. Why did Harry say that Monty was ungrateful?
(a) Monty could have been put down, but they saved him.
(b) Monty refused the food offered to him.
(c) He was mean despite living an easy life.
(d) Herriot had saved his life and the bull had turned on him.
12. What does Mr Kendall give to Siegfried when they call to his ranch to see a cow?
(a) A jug of ale to share when the job was done.
(b) A stethoscope Siegfried left there.
(d) Fake money.
13. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
(a) They go hungry.
(b) They catch a virus.
(c) They drink contaminated water.
(d) They are chased by a dog.
14. What is the last thing Herriot sees at the Darrowby show?
(a) The cow he treated at the beginning getting into a truck.
(b) The goldfish in its bowl forgotten on a table.
(c) The usual officiator laughing over beer with all the farmers.
(d) Helen leaving in a fancy car with Richard while he crank starts his.
15. Why was Herriot uneasy about taking a blood sample from Monty?
(a) The light was dim in the box. Herriot wasn't sure he could find a vein.
(b) Herriot hated drawing blood.
(c) The bull had grown and turned mean.
(d) Harry Sumner had no way to hold the bull still.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Herriot with when they see the monk at night?
2. What reception does Herriot receive from the lady and her poodle?
3. How does Dinah do after being treated by Granville?
4. What takes Herriot to the Alderson homestead in chapter seven?
5. What interferes with the enjoyment of Herriot's purchase at home?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)