|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Granville to work on Dinah?
(a) Almost all day.
(c) A couple hours.
(d) Almost an hour.
2. How does Dinah do after being treated by Granville?
(a) She is hospitalized for over a week.
(b) She recovers quickly.
(c) She dies three days later.
(d) She never fully recovers.
3. What takes Herriot to the Alderson homestead in chapter seven?
(a) A sick cow.
(b) Helen invited him to Sunday tea.
(c) He was following up on an animal Siegfried had treated.
(d) His car broke down nearby.
4. Why won't Herriot let the man with the terrier show his dog?
(a) The dog has a temperature and Herriot suspects distemper.
(b) The dog is uncontrollable.
(c) The dog is not registered.
(d) The dog is of the wrong breed.
5. What animals does Herriot have to judge in the family pet competition?
(a) Dogs and cats.
(b) A wide array from Mynah birds to bulldogs to goldfish.
(c) A broad selection of dogs, mostly herding dogs.
(d) Dogs, cats, rabbits, and a fish.
6. What animal does Herriot place first in the Family Pets competition?
(a) The labrador.
(b) A tabby cat.
(c) The goldfish.
(d) The mynah bird.
7. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
(a) Jock no longer seems to have fun chasing cars.
(b) Jock's puppies are Jock's equal in speed.
(c) Jock takes racing very seriously.
(d) All of the above.
8. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Sing loudly when he's drunk.
(c) Do his repair work at night on full moons.
(d) Keeps his lambing pens near his neighbors house.
9. What condition are the second group of young cows in that Herriot goes to see at the Dalby farm?
(a) Coughing uncontrallably.
(b) Lethargic and feverish.
(c) Robust and energetic.
(d) Clearly very sick and thin,
10. Why does Herriot end up officiating at the Darrowby show?
(a) The usual officiator fell ill that day.
(b) He was the only vet on the grounds.
(c) He owed a favor to the town councilman.
(d) Siegfried is out of town that day.
11. What does Siegfried suspect is the cause of Clancy's vomiting?
(a) He eats every bit of trash he finds.
(b) A stomach tumor.
(c) Joe feeds him rotten meat.
(d) He is a very old dog.
12. Why did Harry say that Monty was ungrateful?
(a) Monty refused the food offered to him.
(b) Herriot had saved his life and the bull had turned on him.
(c) Monty could have been put down, but they saved him.
(d) He was mean despite living an easy life.
13. Why does Herbert not have a mother?
(a) She died giving birth.
(b) His mother is sickly and the farmer removed him.
(c) She rejected him at birth.
(d) None of the above.
14. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
(a) Onto Helen's family property.
(b) The third story of the Skeldale House.
(c) A small cottage on the edge of town.
(d) Into a flat next door to the clinic.
15. What delightful occurrence makes Herriot forget his discomfort while out for a moment in chapter one?
(a) The sight of a cow he saved the year before.
(b) A taste of Mrs Ingledew's pie.
(c) The farmer's hearty welcome and thanks.
(d) The birth of a new lamb.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Granville Bennett?
2. What would Cliff do after he fought with his wife?
3. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
4. When Herriot goes walking through the vegetables to clear his mind, what does he hear?
5. Which of the following best describes Zoe, Granville's wife?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)