|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How easy does Herriot find it to diagnose the second batch of Darby cattle?
(a) He knows almost immediately that it is going to be just as bad.
(b) He still does not know what was wrong with them.
(c) It takes him a long time because he has to do several tests.
(d) He has no idea what is wrong the first two times he sees them.
2. What does Granville Bennett do for Herriot?
(a) Operate on an old spaniel in delicate condition.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Agree to hand over a patient that needed to be hospitalized.
(d) Recommend him to a local farmer.
3. What takes Herriot to the Alderson homestead in chapter seven?
(a) Helen invited him to Sunday tea.
(b) He was following up on an animal Siegfried had treated.
(c) A sick cow.
(d) His car broke down nearby.
4. Which of the following best describes Zoe, Granville's wife?
(a) A radiant and independent beauty.
(b) A bitter and sarcastic older woman.
(c) A quiet and subdued domestic wife.
(d) A warm and welcoming home matron.
5. What caused the eventual disappearance of the draught horse?
(a) The invention of the tractor.
(b) A mass outbreak of equine diseases.
(c) Their replacement with mules.
(d) The disapearance of family farms.
6. Where does Herriot go when he leaves the Crumps?
(a) To the Crump's neighbors called the Bamfords.
(b) Back to his house without finishing his rounds.
(c) He falls asleep in his car.
(d) He is called to the Bamfords for an emergency calving.
7. What delightful occurrence makes Herriot forget his discomfort while out for a moment in chapter one?
(a) The farmer's hearty welcome and thanks.
(b) A taste of Mrs Ingledew's pie.
(c) The birth of a new lamb.
(d) The sight of a cow he saved the year before.
8. What was Herriot suspected of for his placement of the family pets winners?
(a) Giving first place to the squire's son.
(b) Taking bribes.
(c) Being biased against rabbits.
(d) Awarding prizes to his clients.
9. What does Siegfried chastise Herriot and Tristan for in chapter six?
(a) Being careless and flippant.
(b) Leaving instruments at farms after a field call.
(c) Drinking on the job.
(d) Not being punctual.
10. When Herriot goes walking through the vegetables to clear his mind, what does he hear?
(a) Someone defending him against the accusations.
(b) About suspected corruption and cheating in the vegetable competitions.
(c) That gossip and rumors are the best part of the show.
(d) That Helen and Richard were to be married.
11. In chapter one, Herriot returns to bed after a long night out. Where was he?
(a) Rescuing Mr. Ingledew's injured horse.
(b) Out drinking with Mr. Ingledew.
(c) Stuck at a social gathering at the Ingledew farm.
(d) Delivering a lamb at the Ingledew farm.
12. What happened to Badger?
(a) He was retired from plowing and died of old age.
(b) He developed lockjaw.
(c) He broke his leg jumping a fence.
(d) He went blind.
13. What does Mr. Pickersgill want to try on his cow to cure the mastitis?
(a) A salve.
(b) A long turn out in the pasture.
(c) Another vet.
(d) A shot.
14. What condition are the second group of young cows in that Herriot goes to see at the Dalby farm?
(a) Clearly very sick and thin,
(b) Robust and energetic.
(c) Lethargic and feverish.
(d) Coughing uncontrallably.
15. What do vets do for husk today?
(a) Administer antibiotics.
(b) None of the above.
(c) There is a vaccine and a good therapeutic agent.
(d) The exact same process.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
2. What made Ben Ashby rethink getting a closer look at Harry Sumner's heifer?
3. What made survival for the Dalby family especially difficult?
4. Why does Herriot suspect that Mr. Pickersgill is the cause of the problem with his cow's mastitis?
5. How do Herbert and the ewe end up together?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)