|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who or what does Herriot end up prescribing a solution for that also cures the mastitis of Mr. Pickersgill's cow?
(a) The cow's dull coat.
(b) The odor in the barn.
(d) Mr. Pickersgill's back.
2. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
(a) Onto Helen's family property.
(b) A small cottage on the edge of town.
(c) Into a flat next door to the clinic.
(d) The third story of the Skeldale House.
3. What two animals does Herriot treat or diagnose at the Darrowby show?
(a) A cow and a pig.
(b) A dog and a pony.
(c) A pig and a horse.
(d) A cow and a dog.
4. What does Mr. Pickersgill want to try on his cow to cure the mastitis?
(a) Another vet.
(b) A salve.
(c) A shot.
(d) A long turn out in the pasture.
5. After all the horses were gone from Harland Grange, what animal replaced them?
6. What condition are the second group of young cows in that Herriot goes to see at the Dalby farm?
(a) Lethargic and feverish.
(b) Clearly very sick and thin,
(c) Coughing uncontrallably.
(d) Robust and energetic.
7. Who is Richard Edmundson?
(a) A wealthy young man.
(b) The son of local famer and good friends of Helen's family.
(c) All the above.
(d) Another suitor to Helen.
8. What response does Mrs. Crump have to Mr. Crump offering Herriot some of his wine?
(a) She tells him not to pester people by offering it.
(b) She encourages Herriot to try some of everything.
(c) She is offended and leaves.
(d) She warns Herriot that it is terrible.
9. Which of the following best describes Zoe, Granville's wife?
(a) A radiant and independent beauty.
(b) A quiet and subdued domestic wife.
(c) A warm and welcoming home matron.
(d) A bitter and sarcastic older woman.
10. What do Helen and Herriot need that he is designated to pick up at house sales?
(a) Basics for the house like chairs and rugs.
(c) Antiques to give as gifts.
(d) Decor for the walls.
11. What was especially difficult about Herriot's purchase at the auction house?
(a) Explaining to Helen what he had purchased.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Figuring out how to set it up.
(d) Transporting it to his car.
12. How long does it take Granville to work on Dinah?
(b) Almost an hour.
(c) Almost all day.
(d) A couple hours.
13. In chapter one, Herriot returns to bed after a long night out. Where was he?
(a) Delivering a lamb at the Ingledew farm.
(b) Out drinking with Mr. Ingledew.
(c) Stuck at a social gathering at the Ingledew farm.
(d) Rescuing Mr. Ingledew's injured horse.
14. What would Cliff do after he fought with his wife?
(a) Throw himself into his work.
(b) Go to the stables and spend the night with the horses.
(c) Make her sleep outside.
(d) Disapear for a few days and return as if nothing had happened.
15. What was wrong with the second batch of cows on the Darby farm?
(a) Copper deficiency.
(b) He still does not know.
(d) A rare virus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made survival for the Dalby family especially difficult?
2. How do Herbert and the ewe end up together?
3. What reception does Herriot receive from the lady and her poodle?
4. How does Herbert stay alive without a mother?
5. What was wrong with Harry Sumner's young bull?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)