|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Herriot go when he leaves the Crumps?
(a) He falls asleep in his car.
(b) He is called to the Bamfords for an emergency calving.
(c) Back to his house without finishing his rounds.
(d) To the Crump's neighbors called the Bamfords.
2. What does Mr. Pickersgill call mastitis?
(a) Them masticks.
(d) Hot udder.
3. How does Dinah do after being treated by Granville?
(a) She recovers quickly.
(b) She dies three days later.
(c) She is hospitalized for over a week.
(d) She never fully recovers.
4. What does Herriot learn about the Bamfords the day after he goes there?
(a) They thought he was homeless.
(b) They lost a cow because he didn't make it there in time.
(c) They often hosted people leaving the Crumps.
(d) There were ruthlessly against drinking and alcohol.
5. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
(a) Do his repair work at night on full moons.
(b) Sing loudly when he's drunk.
(c) Keeps his lambing pens near his neighbors house.
(d) None of the above.
6. When Herriot goes walking through the vegetables to clear his mind, what does he hear?
(a) About suspected corruption and cheating in the vegetable competitions.
(b) That gossip and rumors are the best part of the show.
(c) That Helen and Richard were to be married.
(d) Someone defending him against the accusations.
7. Why does Herriot get ill while waiting for Dinah with Granville?
(a) He came down with a flu going around.
(b) The farm they went to smelled horribly.
(c) Granville gave him some tonic that made him ill.
(d) He felt obliged to eat and drink what Granville served him.
8. How was Badger's death significant to Harland Grange?
(a) He was their only prized show horse.
(b) He was every worker's favorite horse.
(c) He was the only stallion.
(d) He was the last work horse.
9. Why does Herriot end up officiating at the Darrowby show?
(a) He owed a favor to the town councilman.
(b) The usual officiator fell ill that day.
(c) He was the only vet on the grounds.
(d) Siegfried is out of town that day.
10. Why won't Herriot let the man with the terrier show his dog?
(a) The dog is of the wrong breed.
(b) The dog has a temperature and Herriot suspects distemper.
(c) The dog is not registered.
(d) The dog is uncontrollable.
11. What is wrong with the cow that Herriot and Helen's father go to treat?
(a) A magnesium deficiency called "the staggers."
(b) A broken leg.
(c) She ate a poisonous plant.
(d) They have no idea.
12. What response does Mrs. Crump have to Mr. Crump offering Herriot some of his wine?
(a) She tells him not to pester people by offering it.
(b) She is offended and leaves.
(c) She warns Herriot that it is terrible.
(d) She encourages Herriot to try some of everything.
13. What caused the eventual disappearance of the draught horse?
(a) A mass outbreak of equine diseases.
(b) The invention of the tractor.
(c) Their replacement with mules.
(d) The disapearance of family farms.
14. Why does Herriot suspect that Mr. Pickersgill is the cause of the problem with his cow's mastitis?
(a) Mr. Pickersgill beds the stall so deeply it chaffes the cow.
(b) Mr. Pickersgill constantly sprays chemicals in the barn.
(c) Mr. Pickersgill milks the cow very roughly.
(d) Mr. Pickersgill in always inventing new "vitamins" for the cow.
15. Where do people report seeing the monk at night?
(a) On the moor.
(b) On a hill close to an old abbey.
(c) Crossing the town square.
(d) Walking in the hallways of the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flavors of wine does Herriot try at Mr. Crumps house?
2. How easy does Herriot find it to diagnose the second batch of Darby cattle?
3. What does Herriot purchase in the auction house?
4. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
5. How long does it take Granville to work on Dinah?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)