|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Ben Ashby rethink getting a closer look at Harry Sumner's heifer?
(a) Herriot advised him not to.
(b) No one wanted to go with him into the pasture.
(c) Ben has arthritus and couldn't make it over the fence.
(d) Monty, Harry Sumner's bull.
2. What interferes with the enjoyment of Herriot's purchase at home?
(a) There is no room to use it.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The color is awful.
(d) The smell.
3. What response does Mrs. Crump have to Mr. Crump offering Herriot some of his wine?
(a) She warns Herriot that it is terrible.
(b) She tells him not to pester people by offering it.
(c) She encourages Herriot to try some of everything.
(d) She is offended and leaves.
4. Who is Mrs. Donovan?
(a) All of the above.
(b) A nosy old lady.
(c) A woman who fancies herself an animal doctor.
(d) An old gypsy.
5. How is peace restored to Jock's life?
(a) The puppies are sold.
(b) He stops chasing cars.
(c) He figures out he can outsmart the puppies.
(d) He finds a short cut that makes him win.
6. What does Herriot learn about the Bamfords the day after he goes there?
(a) There were ruthlessly against drinking and alcohol.
(b) They thought he was homeless.
(c) They lost a cow because he didn't make it there in time.
(d) They often hosted people leaving the Crumps.
7. What would Cliff do after he fought with his wife?
(a) Disapear for a few days and return as if nothing had happened.
(b) Make her sleep outside.
(c) Go to the stables and spend the night with the horses.
(d) Throw himself into his work.
8. Why does Herriot get ill while waiting for Dinah with Granville?
(a) The farm they went to smelled horribly.
(b) He came down with a flu going around.
(c) He felt obliged to eat and drink what Granville served him.
(d) Granville gave him some tonic that made him ill.
9. Why did Harry Sumner get Monty?
(a) Monty was given to him because he was mean.
(b) Because he was for sale at the fair for almost nothing.
(c) To improve his herd.
(d) Because something had been attacking his cows.
10. What animals does Herriot have to judge in the family pet competition?
(a) Dogs, cats, rabbits, and a fish.
(b) A broad selection of dogs, mostly herding dogs.
(c) A wide array from Mynah birds to bulldogs to goldfish.
(d) Dogs and cats.
11. After all the horses were gone from Harland Grange, what animal replaced them?
12. Where do people report seeing the monk at night?
(a) On the moor.
(b) Crossing the town square.
(c) On a hill close to an old abbey.
(d) Walking in the hallways of the church.
13. Why is communication with Joe Mulligan difficult?
(a) Joe is nearly deaf.
(b) Joe never pays attention and does what he thinks is best.
(c) Joe has an extremely thick accent.
(d) Joe always argues.
14. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
(a) They go hungry.
(b) They catch a virus.
(c) They are chased by a dog.
(d) They drink contaminated water.
15. What causes a cloud to darken Herriot's day a the Darrowby show?
(a) Nobody wants his help or advice.
(b) The usual officiator keeps telling him what to do.
(c) Helen is walking around with Richard Edmundson.
(d) He realizes he won't be getting paid for the job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the eventual disappearance of the draught horse?
2. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
3. What do Granville and Herriot do while waiting for Dinah to wake up?
4. What is wrong with the cow that Herriot and Helen's father go to treat?
5. What happens when Herriot injects the cow?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)