|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Pickersgill want to try on his cow to cure the mastitis?
(a) Another vet.
(b) A salve.
(c) A shot.
(d) A long turn out in the pasture.
2. Who is Mrs. Donovan?
(a) A nosy old lady.
(b) An old gypsy.
(c) A woman who fancies herself an animal doctor.
(d) All of the above.
3. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
(a) The ground was too uneven to measure well.
(b) Herriot had to catch each pony to measure it.
(c) Owners tried to convince Herriot the ponies were a different size.
(d) The ponies wouldn't stand still to be measured.
4. What happened to Badger?
(a) He was retired from plowing and died of old age.
(b) He developed lockjaw.
(c) He broke his leg jumping a fence.
(d) He went blind.
5. What is the last thing Herriot sees at the Darrowby show?
(a) Helen leaving in a fancy car with Richard while he crank starts his.
(b) The cow he treated at the beginning getting into a truck.
(c) The goldfish in its bowl forgotten on a table.
(d) The usual officiator laughing over beer with all the farmers.
6. What reception does Herriot receive from the lady and her poodle?
(a) The lady is appalled that the poodle likes Herriot.
(b) The poodle tries to hide behind the lady, who says he never does that.
(c) They both glare at him hostilely.
(d) They both look at him with sweet, dewey eyes.
7. How is peace restored to Jock's life?
(a) He stops chasing cars.
(b) The puppies are sold.
(c) He figures out he can outsmart the puppies.
(d) He finds a short cut that makes him win.
8. Where do people report seeing the monk at night?
(a) On a hill close to an old abbey.
(b) On the moor.
(c) Crossing the town square.
(d) Walking in the hallways of the church.
9. In chapter one, Herriot returns to bed after a long night out. Where was he?
(a) Out drinking with Mr. Ingledew.
(b) Stuck at a social gathering at the Ingledew farm.
(c) Rescuing Mr. Ingledew's injured horse.
(d) Delivering a lamb at the Ingledew farm.
10. After all the horses were gone from Harland Grange, what animal replaced them?
11. Who is Richard Edmundson?
(a) A wealthy young man.
(b) All the above.
(c) The son of local famer and good friends of Helen's family.
(d) Another suitor to Helen.
12. Why did Harry Sumner get Monty?
(a) Because he was for sale at the fair for almost nothing.
(b) Monty was given to him because he was mean.
(c) Because something had been attacking his cows.
(d) To improve his herd.
13. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
(a) A new hoof knife.
(c) A jug of ale.
(d) A wad of cash.
14. What happens when Herriot injects the cow?
(a) She dies.
(b) She relaxes, and few minutes later stands up.
(c) She goes into convulsions.
(d) She stops panicking so they can set her leg.
15. How was Badger's death significant to Harland Grange?
(a) He was the last work horse.
(b) He was the only stallion.
(c) He was their only prized show horse.
(d) He was every worker's favorite horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herriot learn about the Bamfords the day after he goes there?
2. What animal does Herriot place first in the Family Pets competition?
3. What made Ben Ashby rethink getting a closer look at Harry Sumner's heifer?
4. Why is communication with Joe Mulligan difficult?
5. After chastising Herriot and Tristan, how successful is Siegfried at examining Clancy?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)