|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What takes Herriot to the Alderson homestead in chapter seven?
(a) His car broke down nearby.
(b) Helen invited him to Sunday tea.
(c) He was following up on an animal Siegfried had treated.
(d) A sick cow.
2. Why does Herbert not have a mother?
(a) His mother is sickly and the farmer removed him.
(b) She died giving birth.
(c) She rejected him at birth.
(d) None of the above.
3. How does Dinah do after being treated by Granville?
(a) She dies three days later.
(b) She never fully recovers.
(c) She recovers quickly.
(d) She is hospitalized for over a week.
4. Who is Herriot with when they see the monk at night?
(a) Horace Dawson.
(b) Deputy Claude Blenkiron.
5. Why did Harry Sumner get Monty?
(a) Because he was for sale at the fair for almost nothing.
(b) Because something had been attacking his cows.
(c) To improve his herd.
(d) Monty was given to him because he was mean.
6. What condition are the second group of young cows in that Herriot goes to see at the Dalby farm?
(a) Coughing uncontrallably.
(b) Lethargic and feverish.
(c) Clearly very sick and thin,
(d) Robust and energetic.
7. What two animals does Herriot treat or diagnose at the Darrowby show?
(a) A dog and a pony.
(b) A cow and a dog.
(c) A cow and a pig.
(d) A pig and a horse.
8. What made Ben Ashby rethink getting a closer look at Harry Sumner's heifer?
(a) Ben has arthritus and couldn't make it over the fence.
(b) No one wanted to go with him into the pasture.
(c) Monty, Harry Sumner's bull.
(d) Herriot advised him not to.
9. What does Siegfried suspect is the cause of Clancy's vomiting?
(a) He eats every bit of trash he finds.
(b) He is a very old dog.
(c) A stomach tumor.
(d) Joe feeds him rotten meat.
10. Why was Herriot uneasy about taking a blood sample from Monty?
(a) The light was dim in the box. Herriot wasn't sure he could find a vein.
(b) Harry Sumner had no way to hold the bull still.
(c) Herriot hated drawing blood.
(d) The bull had grown and turned mean.
11. What caused Herriot discomfort during chapter one?
(a) Being the outsider in a local gathering.
(b) The mud.
(c) The extreme cold.
(d) Mr Ingledew's inappropriate stories.
12. What does Granville Bennett do for Herriot?
(a) Operate on an old spaniel in delicate condition.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Recommend him to a local farmer.
(d) Agree to hand over a patient that needed to be hospitalized.
13. What do Helen and Herriot need that he is designated to pick up at house sales?
(a) Antiques to give as gifts.
(c) Decor for the walls.
(d) Basics for the house like chairs and rugs.
14. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
(a) Owners tried to convince Herriot the ponies were a different size.
(b) Herriot had to catch each pony to measure it.
(c) The ponies wouldn't stand still to be measured.
(d) The ground was too uneven to measure well.
15. Where do people report seeing the monk at night?
(a) Walking in the hallways of the church.
(b) Crossing the town square.
(c) On a hill close to an old abbey.
(d) On the moor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the cow that Herriot and Helen's father go to treat?
2. What flavors of wine does Herriot try at Mr. Crumps house?
3. After all the horses were gone from Harland Grange, what animal replaced them?
4. What is the last thing Herriot sees at the Darrowby show?
5. What could Herriot do medicinally for the cattle with husk?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)