|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do people report seeing the monk at night?
(a) On a hill close to an old abbey.
(b) Walking in the hallways of the church.
(c) On the moor.
(d) Crossing the town square.
2. Why does Herriot get ill while waiting for Dinah with Granville?
(a) Granville gave him some tonic that made him ill.
(b) He felt obliged to eat and drink what Granville served him.
(c) He came down with a flu going around.
(d) The farm they went to smelled horribly.
3. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
(a) They go hungry.
(b) They catch a virus.
(c) They drink contaminated water.
(d) They are chased by a dog.
4. Who is Mrs. Donovan?
(a) A nosy old lady.
(b) An old gypsy.
(c) A woman who fancies herself an animal doctor.
(d) All of the above.
5. What is the last thing Herriot sees at the Darrowby show?
(a) The cow he treated at the beginning getting into a truck.
(b) Helen leaving in a fancy car with Richard while he crank starts his.
(c) The goldfish in its bowl forgotten on a table.
(d) The usual officiator laughing over beer with all the farmers.
6. Why won't Herriot let the man with the terrier show his dog?
(a) The dog has a temperature and Herriot suspects distemper.
(b) The dog is uncontrollable.
(c) The dog is of the wrong breed.
(d) The dog is not registered.
7. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
(a) None of the above.
(b) He carries a jug of ale in the car for after especially challenging calls.
(c) He insists on warm water even when the weather is warm.
(d) He occasionally stops and just lies in the sunshine when he's on his rounds.
8. How is peace restored to Jock's life?
(a) He figures out he can outsmart the puppies.
(b) He stops chasing cars.
(c) He finds a short cut that makes him win.
(d) The puppies are sold.
9. What does Granville Bennett do for Herriot?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Operate on an old spaniel in delicate condition.
(c) Agree to hand over a patient that needed to be hospitalized.
(d) Recommend him to a local farmer.
10. Why is communication with Joe Mulligan difficult?
(a) Joe is nearly deaf.
(b) Joe has an extremely thick accent.
(c) Joe always argues.
(d) Joe never pays attention and does what he thinks is best.
11. When Herriot goes walking through the vegetables to clear his mind, what does he hear?
(a) About suspected corruption and cheating in the vegetable competitions.
(b) That Helen and Richard were to be married.
(c) Someone defending him against the accusations.
(d) That gossip and rumors are the best part of the show.
12. What does Herriot purchase in the auction house?
(a) An old set of outdated medical tools.
(b) A twenty-four volume set of the the geography of the world.
(c) A large rug for the living room.
(d) A weaving loom.
13. What would Cliff do after he fought with his wife?
(a) Disapear for a few days and return as if nothing had happened.
(b) Go to the stables and spend the night with the horses.
(c) Throw himself into his work.
(d) Make her sleep outside.
14. What does Siegfried chastise Herriot and Tristan for in chapter six?
(a) Being careless and flippant.
(b) Drinking on the job.
(c) Not being punctual.
(d) Leaving instruments at farms after a field call.
15. After chastising Herriot and Tristan, how successful is Siegfried at examining Clancy?
(a) Not at all.
(b) He manages to examine Clancy with the help of three men.
(c) He completes the examination without a problem.
(d) He gets bitten, but completes the examination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herriot do for Mrs Donovan and Roy?
2. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
3. In the beginning of chapter 15, why is Siegfried especially touchy and cantankerous?
4. Where does Herriot go when he leaves the Crumps?
5. What do vets do for husk today?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)