|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Harry say that Monty was ungrateful?
(a) He was mean despite living an easy life.
(b) Herriot had saved his life and the bull had turned on him.
(c) Monty could have been put down, but they saved him.
(d) Monty refused the food offered to him.
2. What animals does Herriot have to judge in the family pet competition?
(a) Dogs and cats.
(b) A broad selection of dogs, mostly herding dogs.
(c) Dogs, cats, rabbits, and a fish.
(d) A wide array from Mynah birds to bulldogs to goldfish.
3. What does Siegfried suspect is the cause of Clancy's vomiting?
(a) A stomach tumor.
(b) He eats every bit of trash he finds.
(c) He is a very old dog.
(d) Joe feeds him rotten meat.
4. What does Herriot purchase in the auction house?
(a) A twenty-four volume set of the the geography of the world.
(b) An old set of outdated medical tools.
(c) A large rug for the living room.
(d) A weaving loom.
5. Who is Herriot with when they see the monk at night?
(a) Horace Dawson.
(b) Deputy Claude Blenkiron.
6. How easy does Herriot find it to diagnose the second batch of Darby cattle?
(a) He has no idea what is wrong the first two times he sees them.
(b) He knows almost immediately that it is going to be just as bad.
(c) It takes him a long time because he has to do several tests.
(d) He still does not know what was wrong with them.
7. What was Herriot's opinion of horse work?
(a) "The most dangerous and thrilling work for a vet."
(b) "The simplest and most pleasant work we are handed."
(c) "The roughest and most arduous part of our life."
(d) "The bleakest and least studied part of our field."
8. How do Herbert and the ewe end up together?
(a) Herbert persisted until the ewe gave up.
(b) The ewe is too sick at first to notice it is not her lamb.
(c) The farmer ties a dead lamb skin on Herberts back.
(d) The full udder was so uncomfortable the ewe liked Herbert to nurse.
9. Why won't Herriot let the man with the terrier show his dog?
(a) The dog is of the wrong breed.
(b) The dog is not registered.
(c) The dog is uncontrollable.
(d) The dog has a temperature and Herriot suspects distemper.
10. In chapter one, Herriot returns to bed after a long night out. Where was he?
(a) Rescuing Mr. Ingledew's injured horse.
(b) Delivering a lamb at the Ingledew farm.
(c) Stuck at a social gathering at the Ingledew farm.
(d) Out drinking with Mr. Ingledew.
11. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
(a) He occasionally stops and just lies in the sunshine when he's on his rounds.
(b) He insists on warm water even when the weather is warm.
(c) He carries a jug of ale in the car for after especially challenging calls.
(d) None of the above.
12. What does Granville Bennett do for Herriot?
(a) Agree to hand over a patient that needed to be hospitalized.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Recommend him to a local farmer.
(d) Operate on an old spaniel in delicate condition.
13. After all the horses were gone from Harland Grange, what animal replaced them?
14. What caused Herriot discomfort during chapter one?
(a) Being the outsider in a local gathering.
(b) The mud.
(c) Mr Ingledew's inappropriate stories.
(d) The extreme cold.
15. Why does Herriot get ill while waiting for Dinah with Granville?
(a) Granville gave him some tonic that made him ill.
(b) The farm they went to smelled horribly.
(c) He felt obliged to eat and drink what Granville served him.
(d) He came down with a flu going around.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Herriot and Tristan reluctant to fully diagnose Clancy?
2. Why is communication with Joe Mulligan difficult?
3. Which of the following could be used to describe Granville Bennett?
4. What takes Herriot to the Alderson homestead in chapter seven?
5. What was Herriot suspected of for his placement of the family pets winners?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)