|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following could be used to describe Granville Bennett?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Larger than life.
(c) Work hard play hard.
(d) A local legend.
2. What was especially difficult about Herriot's purchase at the auction house?
(a) Explaining to Helen what he had purchased.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Transporting it to his car.
(d) Figuring out how to set it up.
3. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
(a) Onto Helen's family property.
(b) Into a flat next door to the clinic.
(c) A small cottage on the edge of town.
(d) The third story of the Skeldale House.
4. What does Herriot feel vets are regularly called to do?
(a) To keep a safe distance from any unruly animal.
(b) To influence farmers to treat their animals better.
(c) To step open-eyed into dangerous situations.
(d) Answer general questions about animal husbandry.
5. How is peace restored to Jock's life?
(a) The puppies are sold.
(b) He figures out he can outsmart the puppies.
(c) He finds a short cut that makes him win.
(d) He stops chasing cars.
6. Why did Harry Sumner get Monty?
(a) Monty was given to him because he was mean.
(b) To improve his herd.
(c) Because something had been attacking his cows.
(d) Because he was for sale at the fair for almost nothing.
7. Why is communication with Joe Mulligan difficult?
(a) Joe always argues.
(b) Joe has an extremely thick accent.
(c) Joe never pays attention and does what he thinks is best.
(d) Joe is nearly deaf.
8. Who is Herriot with when they see the monk at night?
(a) Deputy Claude Blenkiron.
(d) Horace Dawson.
9. What do Helen and Herriot need that he is designated to pick up at house sales?
(b) Basics for the house like chairs and rugs.
(c) Antiques to give as gifts.
(d) Decor for the walls.
10. Why won't Herriot let the man with the terrier show his dog?
(a) The dog has a temperature and Herriot suspects distemper.
(b) The dog is not registered.
(c) The dog is uncontrollable.
(d) The dog is of the wrong breed.
11. In chapter one, Herriot returns to bed after a long night out. Where was he?
(a) Stuck at a social gathering at the Ingledew farm.
(b) Delivering a lamb at the Ingledew farm.
(c) Rescuing Mr. Ingledew's injured horse.
(d) Out drinking with Mr. Ingledew.
12. Which of the following best describes Zoe, Granville's wife?
(a) A radiant and independent beauty.
(b) A warm and welcoming home matron.
(c) A bitter and sarcastic older woman.
(d) A quiet and subdued domestic wife.
13. After chastising Herriot and Tristan, how successful is Siegfried at examining Clancy?
(a) Not at all.
(b) He manages to examine Clancy with the help of three men.
(c) He completes the examination without a problem.
(d) He gets bitten, but completes the examination.
14. What does Herriot do for Mrs Donovan and Roy?
(a) Agree to visit them daily for a couple weeks.
(b) Nurse Roy back to health.
(c) Convince the inspector to let her keep him.
(d) Set a broken bone free of charge.
15. What was wrong with Harry Sumner's young bull?
(a) He went blind.
(c) McLuskie's Disease
(d) He had hairball in his fourth stomach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Siegfried chastise Herriot and Tristan for in chapter six?
2. Why does Herbert not have a mother?
3. Why does Herriot suspect that Mr. Pickersgill is the cause of the problem with his cow's mastitis?
4. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
5. What do Granville and Herriot do while waiting for Dinah to wake up?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)