|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Herriot with when they see the monk at night?
(a) Horace Dawson.
(b) Deputy Claude Blenkiron.
2. What is Jock's favorite thing?
(a) To teach puppies to run.
(b) To sleep in the sunshine.
(c) To play with a pack of dogs.
(d) To chase cars.
3. What condition are the second group of young cows in that Herriot goes to see at the Dalby farm?
(a) Clearly very sick and thin,
(b) Robust and energetic.
(c) Lethargic and feverish.
(d) Coughing uncontrallably.
4. In the beginning of chapter 15, why is Siegfried especially touchy and cantankerous?
(a) He has just been forced to give up smoking for health reasons.
(b) He has a toothache.
(c) He and Tristan had been fighting about finances.
(d) He was unsuccesful treating a dog the day before and it died.
5. What reception does Herriot receive from the lady and her poodle?
(a) They both glare at him hostilely.
(b) The lady is appalled that the poodle likes Herriot.
(c) The poodle tries to hide behind the lady, who says he never does that.
(d) They both look at him with sweet, dewey eyes.
6. Why does Herriot get ill while waiting for Dinah with Granville?
(a) Granville gave him some tonic that made him ill.
(b) The farm they went to smelled horribly.
(c) He felt obliged to eat and drink what Granville served him.
(d) He came down with a flu going around.
7. What flavors of wine does Herriot try at Mr. Crumps house?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Rhubarb, elderflower, blackberry, and parsnip,
(c) Parsely, clover, gooseberry, bettroot, and crabapple.
(d) Dandelion, turnips, and cowslip.
8. Where does Herriot go when he leaves the Crumps?
(a) To the Crump's neighbors called the Bamfords.
(b) He is called to the Bamfords for an emergency calving.
(c) He falls asleep in his car.
(d) Back to his house without finishing his rounds.
9. What delightful occurrence makes Herriot forget his discomfort while out for a moment in chapter one?
(a) The farmer's hearty welcome and thanks.
(b) A taste of Mrs Ingledew's pie.
(c) The sight of a cow he saved the year before.
(d) The birth of a new lamb.
10. How is peace restored to Jock's life?
(a) The puppies are sold.
(b) He figures out he can outsmart the puppies.
(c) He finds a short cut that makes him win.
(d) He stops chasing cars.
11. What is wrong with the cow that Herriot and Helen's father go to treat?
(a) A broken leg.
(b) She ate a poisonous plant.
(c) They have no idea.
(d) A magnesium deficiency called "the staggers."
12. What is husk, the first ailment that afflicted the Darby cattle?
(a) Small worms that get into the bronchial tubes.
(b) General symptoms of neglect.
(c) A deficiency caused by malnutrution.
(d) A virus spread through bad water.
13. Why does Herriot suspect that Mr. Pickersgill is the cause of the problem with his cow's mastitis?
(a) Mr. Pickersgill constantly sprays chemicals in the barn.
(b) Mr. Pickersgill milks the cow very roughly.
(c) Mr. Pickersgill in always inventing new "vitamins" for the cow.
(d) Mr. Pickersgill beds the stall so deeply it chaffes the cow.
14. What was Herriot suspected of for his placement of the family pets winners?
(a) Awarding prizes to his clients.
(b) Giving first place to the squire's son.
(c) Taking bribes.
(d) Being biased against rabbits.
15. Why won't Herriot let the man with the terrier show his dog?
(a) The dog is of the wrong breed.
(b) The dog has a temperature and Herriot suspects distemper.
(c) The dog is uncontrollable.
(d) The dog is not registered.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Granville Bennett do for Herriot?
2. What caused the eventual disappearance of the draught horse?
3. What does Mr. Pickersgill call mastitis?
4. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
5. Which of the following best describes Zoe, Granville's wife?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)