|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Siegfried treat Mrs. Dalby when she comes to Skeldale house?
(a) With great empathy for the family's hardship.
(b) Like royalty.
(d) With fondness and jocularity.
2. Why does Herbert not have a mother?
(a) His mother is sickly and the farmer removed him.
(b) She rejected him at birth.
(c) None of the above.
(d) She died giving birth.
3. Where does Herriot go when he leaves the Crumps?
(a) He falls asleep in his car.
(b) To the Crump's neighbors called the Bamfords.
(c) He is called to the Bamfords for an emergency calving.
(d) Back to his house without finishing his rounds.
4. What would Cliff do after he fought with his wife?
(a) Go to the stables and spend the night with the horses.
(b) Make her sleep outside.
(c) Throw himself into his work.
(d) Disapear for a few days and return as if nothing had happened.
5. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
(a) They drink contaminated water.
(b) They go hungry.
(c) They are chased by a dog.
(d) They catch a virus.
6. In the beginning of chapter 15, why is Siegfried especially touchy and cantankerous?
(a) He has just been forced to give up smoking for health reasons.
(b) He and Tristan had been fighting about finances.
(c) He was unsuccesful treating a dog the day before and it died.
(d) He has a toothache.
7. Why does Herriot get ill while waiting for Dinah with Granville?
(a) He felt obliged to eat and drink what Granville served him.
(b) Granville gave him some tonic that made him ill.
(c) He came down with a flu going around.
(d) The farm they went to smelled horribly.
8. What does Siegfried suspect is the cause of Clancy's vomiting?
(a) A stomach tumor.
(b) He is a very old dog.
(c) He eats every bit of trash he finds.
(d) Joe feeds him rotten meat.
9. What does Herriot feel vets are regularly called to do?
(a) Answer general questions about animal husbandry.
(b) To keep a safe distance from any unruly animal.
(c) To influence farmers to treat their animals better.
(d) To step open-eyed into dangerous situations.
10. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
(a) Owners tried to convince Herriot the ponies were a different size.
(b) Herriot had to catch each pony to measure it.
(c) The ground was too uneven to measure well.
(d) The ponies wouldn't stand still to be measured.
11. What caused Herriot discomfort during chapter one?
(a) The extreme cold.
(b) Being the outsider in a local gathering.
(c) The mud.
(d) Mr Ingledew's inappropriate stories.
12. How was Badger's death significant to Harland Grange?
(a) He was every worker's favorite horse.
(b) He was the last work horse.
(c) He was their only prized show horse.
(d) He was the only stallion.
13. What flavors of wine does Herriot try at Mr. Crumps house?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Rhubarb, elderflower, blackberry, and parsnip,
(c) Dandelion, turnips, and cowslip.
(d) Parsely, clover, gooseberry, bettroot, and crabapple.
14. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Jock's puppies are Jock's equal in speed.
(c) Jock no longer seems to have fun chasing cars.
(d) Jock takes racing very seriously.
15. Why won't Herriot let the man with the terrier show his dog?
(a) The dog has a temperature and Herriot suspects distemper.
(b) The dog is not registered.
(c) The dog is uncontrollable.
(d) The dog is of the wrong breed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the cow that Herriot and Helen's father go to treat?
2. What does Herriot get caught picking up at the surgery?
3. How does Herbert stay alive without a mother?
4. What does Siegfried chastise Herriot and Tristan for in chapter six?
5. What caused the eventual disappearance of the draught horse?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)