|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animals does Herriot have to judge in the family pet competition?
(a) Dogs, cats, rabbits, and a fish.
(b) A wide array from Mynah birds to bulldogs to goldfish.
(c) Dogs and cats.
(d) A broad selection of dogs, mostly herding dogs.
2. Where does Herriot go when he leaves the Crumps?
(a) To the Crump's neighbors called the Bamfords.
(b) Back to his house without finishing his rounds.
(c) He falls asleep in his car.
(d) He is called to the Bamfords for an emergency calving.
3. Who is Granville Bennett?
(a) An animal healer.
(b) A local horse vet.
(c) A dangerously incompetent veterinarian nearby.
(d) A very accomplished small animal vet in a nearby town.
4. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
(a) They go hungry.
(b) They drink contaminated water.
(c) They are chased by a dog.
(d) They catch a virus.
5. What takes Herriot to the Alderson homestead in chapter seven?
(a) Helen invited him to Sunday tea.
(b) He was following up on an animal Siegfried had treated.
(c) A sick cow.
(d) His car broke down nearby.
6. Who is Herriot with when they see the monk at night?
(a) Deputy Claude Blenkiron.
(c) Horace Dawson.
7. What was wrong with Harry Sumner's young bull?
(b) He had hairball in his fourth stomach.
(c) He went blind.
(d) McLuskie's Disease
8. What was the challenge measuring ponies at the Darrowby show?
(a) The ground was too uneven to measure well.
(b) Herriot had to catch each pony to measure it.
(c) The ponies wouldn't stand still to be measured.
(d) Owners tried to convince Herriot the ponies were a different size.
9. Why are Herriot and Tristan reluctant to fully diagnose Clancy?
(a) Because he is very smelly.
(b) Because he is mean and extremely large.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Because they are afraid of what they will find.
10. Why does Herbert not have a mother?
(a) None of the above.
(b) His mother is sickly and the farmer removed him.
(c) She rejected him at birth.
(d) She died giving birth.
11. How does Siegfried treat Mrs. Dalby when she comes to Skeldale house?
(a) With fondness and jocularity.
(b) With great empathy for the family's hardship.
(d) Like royalty.
12. What does Herriot purchase in the auction house?
(a) An old set of outdated medical tools.
(b) A weaving loom.
(c) A twenty-four volume set of the the geography of the world.
(d) A large rug for the living room.
13. How does Herbert stay alive without a mother?
(a) He nurses off random unsuspecting ewes.
(b) He fends for himself eating grass.
(c) An old ewe lets him nurse with her babies.
(d) The farmer feeds him.
14. Why does Herriot suspect that Mr. Pickersgill is the cause of the problem with his cow's mastitis?
(a) Mr. Pickersgill milks the cow very roughly.
(b) Mr. Pickersgill beds the stall so deeply it chaffes the cow.
(c) Mr. Pickersgill in always inventing new "vitamins" for the cow.
(d) Mr. Pickersgill constantly sprays chemicals in the barn.
15. What was wrong with the second batch of cows on the Darby farm?
(a) A rare virus.
(c) He still does not know.
(d) Copper deficiency.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is husk, the first ailment that afflicted the Darby cattle?
2. What do vets do for husk today?
3. What does Herriot feel vets are regularly called to do?
4. What causes Herriot concern about Jock?
5. Why did Harry Sumner get Monty?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)