|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Herbert and the ewe end up together?
(a) The farmer ties a dead lamb skin on Herberts back.
(b) Herbert persisted until the ewe gave up.
(c) The full udder was so uncomfortable the ewe liked Herbert to nurse.
(d) The ewe is too sick at first to notice it is not her lamb.
2. What does Harold Ingledew do that keeps his neighbors awake?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Sing loudly when he's drunk.
(c) Do his repair work at night on full moons.
(d) Keeps his lambing pens near his neighbors house.
3. What is wrong with the cow that Herriot and Helen's father go to treat?
(a) She ate a poisonous plant.
(b) A magnesium deficiency called "the staggers."
(c) They have no idea.
(d) A broken leg.
4. Who is Richard Edmundson?
(a) All the above.
(b) The son of local famer and good friends of Helen's family.
(c) Another suitor to Helen.
(d) A wealthy young man.
5. After chastising Herriot and Tristan, how successful is Siegfried at examining Clancy?
(a) Not at all.
(b) He completes the examination without a problem.
(c) He manages to examine Clancy with the help of three men.
(d) He gets bitten, but completes the examination.
6. What caused Herriot discomfort during chapter one?
(a) The mud.
(b) Mr Ingledew's inappropriate stories.
(c) The extreme cold.
(d) Being the outsider in a local gathering.
7. What was Herriot's opinion of horse work?
(a) "The simplest and most pleasant work we are handed."
(b) "The bleakest and least studied part of our field."
(c) "The roughest and most arduous part of our life."
(d) "The most dangerous and thrilling work for a vet."
8. What made Ben Ashby rethink getting a closer look at Harry Sumner's heifer?
(a) No one wanted to go with him into the pasture.
(b) Monty, Harry Sumner's bull.
(c) Ben has arthritus and couldn't make it over the fence.
(d) Herriot advised him not to.
9. What happens to the ewes that causes one to lose her babies?
(a) They are chased by a dog.
(b) They drink contaminated water.
(c) They go hungry.
(d) They catch a virus.
10. What does Herriot do for Mrs Donovan and Roy?
(a) Convince the inspector to let her keep him.
(b) Agree to visit them daily for a couple weeks.
(c) Nurse Roy back to health.
(d) Set a broken bone free of charge.
11. Why are Herriot and Tristan reluctant to fully diagnose Clancy?
(a) Because he is mean and extremely large.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Because he is very smelly.
(d) Because they are afraid of what they will find.
12. What caused the eventual disappearance of the draught horse?
(a) A mass outbreak of equine diseases.
(b) The invention of the tractor.
(c) Their replacement with mules.
(d) The disapearance of family farms.
13. How does Siegfried treat Mrs. Dalby when she comes to Skeldale house?
(a) With great empathy for the family's hardship.
(b) Like royalty.
(d) With fondness and jocularity.
14. What takes Herriot to the Alderson homestead in chapter seven?
(a) A sick cow.
(b) He was following up on an animal Siegfried had treated.
(c) His car broke down nearby.
(d) Helen invited him to Sunday tea.
15. What do vets do for husk today?
(a) There is a vaccine and a good therapeutic agent.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The exact same process.
(d) Administer antibiotics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two animals does Herriot treat or diagnose at the Darrowby show?
2. What did the inspector find in an old shed?
3. Who is Granville Bennett?
4. Why did Harry say that Monty was ungrateful?
5. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)