|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Badger's death significant to Harland Grange?
(a) He was the only stallion.
(b) He was their only prized show horse.
(c) He was the last work horse.
(d) He was every worker's favorite horse.
2. Where do people report seeing the monk at night?
(a) Walking in the hallways of the church.
(b) Crossing the town square.
(c) On the moor.
(d) On a hill close to an old abbey.
3. What caused Herriot discomfort during chapter one?
(a) Mr Ingledew's inappropriate stories.
(b) The extreme cold.
(c) The mud.
(d) Being the outsider in a local gathering.
4. When Herriot goes walking through the vegetables to clear his mind, what does he hear?
(a) That Helen and Richard were to be married.
(b) That gossip and rumors are the best part of the show.
(c) About suspected corruption and cheating in the vegetable competitions.
(d) Someone defending him against the accusations.
5. Why does Herbert not have a mother?
(a) She died giving birth.
(b) None of the above.
(c) She rejected him at birth.
(d) His mother is sickly and the farmer removed him.
6. What form of self indulgence has Herriot developed over his time as a country vet?
(a) He occasionally stops and just lies in the sunshine when he's on his rounds.
(b) He carries a jug of ale in the car for after especially challenging calls.
(c) He insists on warm water even when the weather is warm.
(d) None of the above.
7. Why did Harry say that Monty was ungrateful?
(a) Monty refused the food offered to him.
(b) Monty could have been put down, but they saved him.
(c) He was mean despite living an easy life.
(d) Herriot had saved his life and the bull had turned on him.
8. Where did James and Helen move to after their marriage?
(a) A small cottage on the edge of town.
(b) The third story of the Skeldale House.
(c) Into a flat next door to the clinic.
(d) Onto Helen's family property.
9. After all the horses were gone from Harland Grange, what animal replaced them?
10. What would Cliff do after he fought with his wife?
(a) Disapear for a few days and return as if nothing had happened.
(b) Throw himself into his work.
(c) Make her sleep outside.
(d) Go to the stables and spend the night with the horses.
11. Who is Richard Edmundson?
(a) Another suitor to Helen.
(b) All the above.
(c) The son of local famer and good friends of Helen's family.
(d) A wealthy young man.
12. Which of the following could be used to describe Granville Bennett?
(a) Larger than life.
(b) A local legend.
(c) Work hard play hard.
(d) All of the above.
13. What does Mr Kendall give to Siegfried when they call to his ranch to see a cow?
(a) A jug of ale to share when the job was done.
(b) A stethoscope Siegfried left there.
(c) Fake money.
14. Why won't Herriot let the man with the terrier show his dog?
(a) The dog is not registered.
(b) The dog is of the wrong breed.
(c) The dog is uncontrollable.
(d) The dog has a temperature and Herriot suspects distemper.
15. Why are Herriot and Tristan reluctant to fully diagnose Clancy?
(a) Because they are afraid of what they will find.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Because he is mean and extremely large.
(d) Because he is very smelly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flavors of wine does Herriot try at Mr. Crumps house?
2. What does Mr. Pickersgill call mastitis?
3. How do Herbert and the ewe end up together?
4. What made survival for the Dalby family especially difficult?
5. Where does Herriot go when he leaves the Crumps?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)