• Herriot recounts a time when he was called in the middle of the night to check on a ewe that had just lambed. Harold Ingledew, the ewe's owner, has been out drinking.
• Harold slowly prepares to show Herriot the ailing animal while Herriot stands out in the cold.
• They search for the ewe in a dark field. When they find the ewe and Herriot examines her, he discovers her problem is that she has another lamb in her that she hasn't delivered.
• Herriot is forced to strip off his shirt and scrub with ice water to assist with the birth, he is thrilled by the birth of the new lamb.
• Herriot returns home numb with cold, and delights in crawling back into a warm bed with Helen, his new wife.
• Helen and Herriot live in a sparsely furnished apartment on the third floor of the Skeldale...
This section contains 5,464 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)