|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the horse John rides as he is out checking cattle in the rain?
2. What is the book Don Hector asks if John Grady has read?
3. Which direction are John Grady and Rawlins taken after their arrest?
4. What do John Grady and Alejandra have to drink during the intermission at the dance?
5. What is the name of the town where John and his father go on their final horseback ride?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John Grady say when Rawlins tells him that his father has passed away?
2. What does the Senora say Alejandra promised in return for the Senora arranging John Grady's release? What is John Grady's response?
3. What event prompts Alfonsa to call for a meeting with John Grady?
4. How does John Grady handle the new horse on his first encounter with it?
5. What do John Grady and Rawlins decide to do when John Grady discovers that someone is following them?
6. Why does Alejandra say she told her father that she and John Grady were lovers?
7. Why does Blevins say he cannot be outside during the thunderstorm?
8. Who wins the chess games between Alfonsa and John Grady?
9. What is the Senora's response when John Grady says that he intends to see Alejandra?
10. How does John Grady come to believe that the man who attacks him is hired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the price Alejandra pays for having John Grady as her lover? How does it impact her life and those of her family members?
Essay Topic 2
What is the story Alejandra's godmother tells John Grady? What is the significance of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is it that drives John Grady to set out to break the sixteen wild horses on Don Hector's ranch? Does he prove what he set out to do? Is this a natural part of John Grady's makeup?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)