|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John spend the night during his only night in San Antonio?
2. How many men are in the first group of Mexicans on horseback John Grady, Rawlins and the kid meet on their way across the country?
3. Why do Rawlins and John tell the young Mexican they are fleeing?
4. What color are the boots Rawlins buys in town?
5. What is the name of the hotel where John sees his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is John Grady's reception upon his arrival back at the ranch?
2. Who wins the chess games between Alfonsa and John Grady?
3. After Blevins loses his horse, the three encounter a work camp. What offer is made by the workmen concerning Blevins?
4. What is the argument John Grady and Rawlins have when they first encounter the kid?
5. What is it that Perez says he wants from John Grady?
6. What is the dream John Grady had in prison about Jimmy Blevins, and how does that compare to the dream he has on the afternoon of his return to the ranch?
7. What plan does Blevins propose when the three are being chased by those from whom Blevins took his horse?
8. What does John Grady do after Alejandra leaves town?
9. What does Alejandra say she learned about her father after she told him that she and John Grady were lovers?
10. What is revealed during the conversation between John Grady and Alejandra at the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it that makes John Grady go to Mexico in the first place? What is the effect of this situation over him as he ages?
Essay Topic 2
What does John Grady plan to do when he takes the Captain hostage? What happens? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What are John Grady's methods when it comes to dealing with horses? How are those methods different when dealing with humans?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)