|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the eatery where John and his father share a meal?
2. Where do they see Blevins' horse?
3. What are the three wearing as they cross the Rio Grande?
4. What do John Grady and Alejandra have to drink during the intermission at the dance?
5. About what habit does John fuss at his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is John Grady's reception upon his arrival back at the ranch?
2. What does Rawlins say about Alejandra's likely taste in guys to date?
3. What does the surgeon say about the scar on John Grady's face?
4. What does Perez say a prison resembles and why?
5. What is it that Perez says he wants from John Grady?
6. Blevins says that he has run away from home before. What details does he give of his last attempt to run away?
7. What is the dream John Grady had in prison about Jimmy Blevins, and how does that compare to the dream he has on the afternoon of his return to the ranch?
8. What bet does John Henry make while he and Rawlins are waiting to go to prison?
9. What does John Grady leave behind as he crosses open country to buy some time from his pursuers?
10. What infirmity does Alfonsa have and what does she say about scars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between John Grady and Lacy Rawlins? How does it evolve over time?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Jimmy Blevins? Describe his background, his life and the things that put him in the position to be killed.
Essay Topic 3
What is the advice John Grady gets from a group of Mexican children when he explains that he is going to try to win Alejandra's love? What does John Grady do with that advice? How does it compare with the reality of the situation between the two?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)