|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trick does Rawlins perform that makes the little Mexican girls laugh?
2. What information does the lawyer tell John about his mother and father?
3. How much money do Rawlins and John Grady bet on their impromptu race on the Sunday they go into town?
4. Who is it that stops John and asks if they can be friends just before he leaves San Angelo?
5. Rawlins asks whether a person can believe in heaven without believing in hell. What is John Grady's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Perez say a prison resembles and why?
2. What is Rawlins' response when John Grady says Don Hector has asked John Grady to move into the barn to work with the horses?
3. What is the dream John Grady had in prison about Jimmy Blevins, and how does that compare to the dream he has on the afternoon of his return to the ranch?
4. What does the Senora say Alejandra promised in return for the Senora arranging John Grady's release? What is John Grady's response?
5. What does the old man in the cell with John Grady and Rawlins say about his confinement at Encantada?
6. What is it that Perez says he wants from John Grady?
7. After Blevins loses his horse, the three encounter a work camp. What offer is made by the workmen concerning Blevins?
8. What does Alfonsa say about the difference between a woman's reputation and that of a man, and what is John Grady's reply?
9. What is the basis of the first conversation between Don Hector and John Grady?
10. What is revealed during the conversation between John Grady and Alejandra at the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the stay in prison for John Grady and Rawlins.
Essay Topic 2
What is the Captain's reasons for arranging the murder of Blevins? How does he use that as an example to John Grady and Rawlins?
Essay Topic 3
Though John Grady seems the obvious leader, there are some instances in which Rawlins makes demands or takes the lead. List at least two, including their significance.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)