|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What horse does John Grady say sired all those in the corral?
2. What kind of horses does Don Hector say he intends to raise?
3. What is the name of the horse John rides as he is out checking cattle in the rain?
4. What is the name of the man who travels to America to pick up Don Hector's new thoroughbred?
5. What is used as lighting at the dance John Grady and Rawlins attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rawlins say he hates about going home?
2. What does John Grady learn about Rawlins' time in the infirmary and what it means to their friendship?
3. What do John Grady and Rawlins decide to do when John Grady discovers that someone is following them?
4. What bet does John Henry make while he and Rawlins are waiting to go to prison?
5. What does John Grady do after Alejandra leaves town?
6. What does the Senora say about Don Hector allowing John Grady's arrest?
7. Why does Alejandra say she told her father that she and John Grady were lovers?
8. What does Rawlins say about a "good looking horse?"
9. It is noted that John's grandfather has the distinction of being the first to die in a particular way. What was that way?
10. What prediction does Rawlins make regarding their situation and the complication of John Grady being interested in Alejandra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it that makes John Grady go to Mexico in the first place? What is the effect of this situation over him as he ages?
Essay Topic 2
What is the advice John Grady gets from a group of Mexican children when he explains that he is going to try to win Alejandra's love? What does John Grady do with that advice? How does it compare with the reality of the situation between the two?
Essay Topic 3
Why does it seem that Rawlins always deferred to John Grady's judgments and decisions? Name at least three instances in which this is the case.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)