|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Don Hector Rocha y Villareal's wife live?
2. What does Rawlins throw up in the air for the kid to shoot?
3. Into what game does Don Hector invite John Grady to join?
4. Why can't the three boys buy water from the caravans they encounter?
5. What is the name of the town where John and his father go on their final horseback ride?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rawlins' response when John Grady says Don Hector has asked John Grady to move into the barn to work with the horses?
2. How does John Grady come to be allowed to ride the prize stallion on the ranch?
3. It is noted that John's grandfather has the distinction of being the first to die in a particular way. What was that way?
4. What does Rawlins say he hates about going home?
5. What is John Grady's reception upon his arrival back at the ranch?
6. After Blevins loses his horse, the three encounter a work camp. What offer is made by the workmen concerning Blevins?
7. What does Alejandra say she learned about her father after she told him that she and John Grady were lovers?
8. What do John Grady and Rawlins do with the deer Rawlins shoots?
9. What is it that Perez says he wants from John Grady?
10. What is the first question posed by Don Hector upon the return of the man who traveled to America to get his horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though John Grady seems the obvious leader, there are some instances in which Rawlins makes demands or takes the lead. List at least two, including their significance.
Essay Topic 2
What is it that drives John Grady to set out to break the sixteen wild horses on Don Hector's ranch? Does he prove what he set out to do? Is this a natural part of John Grady's makeup?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jimmy Blevins come to be involved with John Grady and Rawlins? What are the attitudes of Rawlins and John Grady toward Jimmy Blevins? How do their attitudes differ? Why?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)