|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Rawlins, John Grady and the other young boy from the ranch share before going into the dance?
2. What is the name of the man who goes along with John Grady and the others into the mountains as a cook?
3. What does Blevins have in his possession the morning after the thunderstorm?
4. Who does John Grady say is the leader?
5. How does John Grady say the man named Julius Ramsey killed a lion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Blevins says that he has run away from home before. What details does he give of his last attempt to run away?
2. What does Rawlins say about Alejandra's likely taste in guys to date?
3. What are the difficulties described by the man who traveled to America to pick up the new horse for Don Hector?
4. What does John Grady do after Alejandra leaves town?
5. What is the dream John Grady had in prison about Jimmy Blevins, and how does that compare to the dream he has on the afternoon of his return to the ranch?
6. What does Blevins say made him run away to Mexico?
7. What does John Grady learn about Rawlins' time in the infirmary and what it means to their friendship?
8. What is the first question posed by Don Hector upon the return of the man who traveled to America to get his horse?
9. What infirmity does Alfonsa have and what does she say about scars?
10. Why does the judge say he believes John Grady's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the advice John Grady gets from a group of Mexican children when he explains that he is going to try to win Alejandra's love? What does John Grady do with that advice? How does it compare with the reality of the situation between the two?
Essay Topic 2
What is it that makes John Grady go to Mexico in the first place? What is the effect of this situation over him as he ages?
Essay Topic 3
Though John Grady seems the obvious leader, there are some instances in which Rawlins makes demands or takes the lead. List at least two, including their significance.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)