|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Rawlins and John Grady cook the first rabbit they kill on their trip?
2. What do the three drink at the small store in Reforma?
3. What kind of horses are in the painting in the dining room, according to John's grandfather?
4. What is the name of the hotel where John sees his mother?
5. What color is the plane flown by the owner of the ranch in Mexico where John Grady works?
Short Essay Questions
1. What infirmity does Alfonsa have and what does she say about scars?
2. What does Alfonsa say about the difference between a woman's reputation and that of a man, and what is John Grady's reply?
3. What does John Grady do after Alejandra leaves town?
4. Why does the judge say he believes John Grady's story?
5. Blevins says that he has run away from home before. What details does he give of his last attempt to run away?
6. How does John Grady come to believe that the man who attacks him is hired?
7. What is the fate of John Grady and of his attacker once the fight ends?
8. List at least six of the items John Grady and Rawlins buy at the small store near the Mexican border.
9. What is the dream John Grady had in prison about Jimmy Blevins, and how does that compare to the dream he has on the afternoon of his return to the ranch?
10. What does the old man in the cell with John Grady and Rawlins say about his confinement at Encantada?
Essay Topic 1
What does Perez say about the differences between Mexican and American ideas of good and evil? Compare that to general opinions about races and the stigmas associated with good and evil.
Essay Topic 2
What is the Captain's reasons for arranging the murder of Blevins? How does he use that as an example to John Grady and Rawlins?
Essay Topic 3
What does John Grady plan to do when he takes the Captain hostage? What happens? Why?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)