|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many friends are with Hector Rocha y Villareal the morning after John Grady and Rawlins arrive?
2. Where are John and Rawlins headed?
3. How far do John and Rawlins travel by noon their first day?
4. Why do Rawlins and John tell the young Mexican they are fleeing?
5. What is the name of the man who goes along with John Grady and the others into the mountains as a cook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What infirmity does Alfonsa have and what does she say about scars?
2. What does Rawlins say about Alejandra's likely taste in guys to date?
3. What does Alfonsa say about the difference between a woman's reputation and that of a man, and what is John Grady's reply?
4. How does John Grady discover that Alejandra has been at the ranch house?
5. What is the basis of the first conversation between Don Hector and John Grady?
6. What is it that Perez says he wants from John Grady?
7. Describe the girl John Grady and Rawlins see as they join up with the cattle herd.
8. What does Rawlins say he hates about going home?
9. What does John Grady say when Rawlins tells him that his father has passed away?
10. What is the first question posed by Don Hector upon the return of the man who traveled to America to get his horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the advice John Grady gets from a group of Mexican children when he explains that he is going to try to win Alejandra's love? What does John Grady do with that advice? How does it compare with the reality of the situation between the two?
Essay Topic 2
Though John Grady seems the obvious leader, there are some instances in which Rawlins makes demands or takes the lead. List at least two, including their significance.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between John Grady and Lacy Rawlins? How does it evolve over time?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)