|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many friends are with Hector Rocha y Villareal the morning after John Grady and Rawlins arrive?
2. How much money do Rawlins and John Grady bet on their impromptu race on the Sunday they go into town?
3. How many horses do John Grady and Rawlins bring from the mountains on what would be their final trip before their arrest?
4. How old does John Grady say Rawlins is?
5. Who is watching John Grady and Rawlins as they continue working on the horses after lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Perez say about his ability to control the men in the prison?
2. On what two things is it said John Grady and Don Hector totally agree?
3. What does Rawlins say he hates about going home?
4. What event prompts Alfonsa to call for a meeting with John Grady?
5. Why does John's father say John's mother returned to them when John was a child?
6. Why does the judge say he believes John Grady's story?
7. What does Blevins say made him run away to Mexico?
8. What are the difficulties described by the man who traveled to America to pick up the new horse for Don Hector?
9. What does the Senora say Alejandra promised in return for the Senora arranging John Grady's release? What is John Grady's response?
10. How does John Grady handle the new horse on his first encounter with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though John Grady seems the obvious leader, there are some instances in which Rawlins makes demands or takes the lead. List at least two, including their significance.
Essay Topic 2
What does John Grady plan to do when he takes the Captain hostage? What happens? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How is the relationship between John Grady and Alejandra discovered? Why is it that they kept it a secret? Could they have handled it differently?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)