|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does John Grady say is the leader?
2. What color is the barn where John Grady works with the horses?
3. What piece of furniture is described in some detail as being in the hallway of the ranch house?
4. What does Blevins have in his possession the morning after the thunderstorm?
5. What personal information is required of John Grady and Rawlins once they are hired at the ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the attorney tell John about the family ranch?
2. What infirmity does Alfonsa have and what does she say about scars?
3. Why does Alejandra say she told her father that she and John Grady were lovers?
4. How does John Grady handle the new horse on his first encounter with it?
5. What does John Grady say to the horse as he rides the animal cross country from the ranch?
6. List at least six of the items John Grady and Rawlins buy at the small store near the Mexican border.
7. What does John Grady do with the old man who was imprisoned by the Captain and the young maid who he encountered at the schoolroom before leaving with the Captain?
8. What does Alejandra say she learned about her father after she told him that she and John Grady were lovers?
9. What does John Grady do after Alejandra leaves town?
10. What does Rawlins say he hates about going home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it that drives John Grady to set out to break the sixteen wild horses on Don Hector's ranch? Does he prove what he set out to do? Is this a natural part of John Grady's makeup?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Captain's reasons for arranging the murder of Blevins? How does he use that as an example to John Grady and Rawlins?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the stay in prison for John Grady and Rawlins.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)