|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the kid say he got his gun?
(a) At a pawn shop
(b) At the gittin place
(c) At Sears and Roebuck
(d) From his father
2. What is the general conversation when John Grady and Rawlins take their seats at the dinner table their first night on the ranch?
(a) Horses, cattle and America
(b) Why John Grady and Rawlins are in Mexico
(c) Plans for the following day's work
(d) There is no conversation at the table
3. How much land is in the la Purisima ranch?
(a) Eleven hundred hectres
(b) Eleven thousand hectres
(c) Eleven hundred acres
(d) Eleven thousand acres
4. How far do John and Rawlins travel by noon their first day?
(a) Forty-four miles
(b) Fourteen miles
(c) Four miles
(d) Forty miles
5. What do the boys use for a fire on the last night before they reach the ranch?
(a) A pile of twigs
(b) An entire dead tree
(c) Their blankets
(d) They have no fire
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of John's family attorney?
2. Why do Rawlins and John tell the young Mexican they are fleeing?
3. What personal information is required of John Grady and Rawlins once they are hired at the ranch?
4. Where has John's Mama gone?
5. What day does John Grady and Rawlins begin breaking the horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is John Grady's reception upon his arrival back at the ranch?
2. How does John Grady discover that Alejandra has been at the ranch house?
3. How does John Grady come to be allowed to ride the prize stallion on the ranch?
4. What is it that Perez says he wants from John Grady?
5. What infirmity does Alfonsa have and what does she say about scars?
6. It is noted that John's grandfather has the distinction of being the first to die in a particular way. What was that way?
7. What are the difficulties described by the man who traveled to America to pick up the new horse for Don Hector?
8. What event prompts Alfonsa to call for a meeting with John Grady?
9. What does Perez say a prison resembles and why?
10. Why does John's father say John's mother returned to them when John was a child?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)