|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Rawlins, John Grady and the other young boy from the ranch share before going into the dance?
(a) A steak
(d) Gum and liquor
2. What does Antonio call the new stud horse?
(b) Padre bueno
(c) Caballo padre
(d) Wonderful beauty
3. What is the name of the man who goes along with John Grady and the others into the mountains as a cook?
4. What does Rawlins throw up in the air for the kid to shoot?
(a) A rock
(b) His wallet
(c) A bottle
(d) His plate
5. What does Don Hector reveal about plans for Alejandra?
(a) That she is to be sent to France
(b) That she is to remain in Mexico City
(c) That she is to be married to a wealthy landowner
(d) That she is to be sent to America
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Grady say about the smell of the first horse he catches?
2. What do John and Rawlins have for their first meal on their trip?
3. The Mexican woman gives John Grady and Rawlins a lunch after they leave her home. What do they carry the lunch in?
4. How many horses do John Grady and Rawlins bring from the mountains on what would be their final trip before their arrest?
5. What two things do the soldiers ask John Grady as he is being arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John Grady say when Rawlins tells him that his father has passed away?
2. Why does the judge say he believes John Grady's story?
3. What is Rawlins' response when John Grady says Don Hector has asked John Grady to move into the barn to work with the horses?
4. It is noted that John's grandfather has the distinction of being the first to die in a particular way. What was that way?
5. What prediction does Rawlins make regarding their situation and the complication of John Grady being interested in Alejandra?
6. How does John Grady come to believe that the man who attacks him is hired?
7. What is the argument John Grady and Rawlins have when they first encounter the kid?
8. What does John Grady do with the old man who was imprisoned by the Captain and the young maid who he encountered at the schoolroom before leaving with the Captain?
9. What does John Grady leave behind as he crosses open country to buy some time from his pursuers?
10. What is the dream John Grady had in prison about Jimmy Blevins, and how does that compare to the dream he has on the afternoon of his return to the ranch?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)