|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't the three boys buy water from the caravans they encounter?
(a) The water is not drinkable
(b) They do not have enough money
(c) The merchants do not have water to spare
(d) They do not have any coins small enough
2. About what habit does John fuss at his father?
3. Why does John Grady say the horses in the corral are so skittish?
(a) They hare been penned up for too long.
(b) They have never been penned before.
(c) They have never smelled white men.
(d) They have never seen a man afoot.
4. Who is Duena Alfonsa?
(a) Alejandra's grand aunt and godmother
(b) Alejandra's caregiver
(c) Don Hector's sister
(d) Don Hector's illegitimate daughter
5. What trick does Rawlins perform that makes the little Mexican girls laugh?
(a) Pretends to pull his finger off and put it back on
(b) Falls off the bench
(c) Pulls a quarter from behind their ears
(d) Pretends to pull off their noses
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the barn where John Grady works with the horses?
2. What was Duena Alfonsa's profession as a young woman?
3. What is NOT among the clothing items John Grady and Rawlns buy on their trip into town?
4. Where does Don Hector Rocha y Villareal's wife live?
5. What is the name of the horse John rides as he is out checking cattle in the rain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John Grady say when Rawlins tells him that his father has passed away?
2. What does the Senora say about Don Hector allowing John Grady's arrest?
3. What does Rawlins say about a "good looking horse?"
4. Why does John Grady say he does not think about Alejandra while he is recovering from his knife wounds?
5. What does John Grady say to the horse as he rides the animal cross country from the ranch?
6. What is revealed during the conversation between John Grady and Alejandra at the dance?
7. What is the dream John Grady had in prison about Jimmy Blevins, and how does that compare to the dream he has on the afternoon of his return to the ranch?
8. What does Perez say a prison resembles and why?
9. Why does the judge say he believes John Grady's story?
10. What is the argument John Grady and Rawlins have when they first encounter the kid?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)