|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are John and Rawlins headed?
(a) San Antonio
(c) San Angelo
(d) Santa Fe
2. Why does John Grady say the horses in the corral are so skittish?
(a) They hare been penned up for too long.
(b) They have never seen a man afoot.
(c) They have never been penned before.
(d) They have never smelled white men.
3. What kind of horse is ridden by the young girl John Grady and Rawlins see on their way to the ranch for the first time?
(a) A paint
(b) A small mare
(c) An Arabian
(d) A thoroughbred
4. Why can't the three boys buy water from the caravans they encounter?
(a) They do not have any coins small enough
(b) The merchants do not have water to spare
(c) The water is not drinkable
(d) They do not have enough money
5. Who is watching John Grady and Rawlins as they continue working on the horses after lunch?
(a) About twenty men, women and children
(b) No one
(c) About twenty cowboys
(d) Only the ranch owner and foreman
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Duena Alfonsa's profession as a young woman?
2. Who is in the photo that was shot by the kid?
3. How many friends are with Hector Rocha y Villareal the morning after John Grady and Rawlins arrive?
4. What trick does Rawlins perform that makes the little Mexican girls laugh?
5. What is the name of the man who goes along with John Grady and the others into the mountains as a cook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rawlins say about Alejandra's likely taste in guys to date?
2. What does Luis say about seeing the souls of horses?
3. What is the dream John Grady had in prison about Jimmy Blevins, and how does that compare to the dream he has on the afternoon of his return to the ranch?
4. What does Perez say about his ability to control the men in the prison?
5. What do John Grady and Rawlins decide to do when John Grady discovers that someone is following them?
6. On what two things is it said John Grady and Don Hector totally agree?
7. Describe the girl John Grady and Rawlins see as they join up with the cattle herd.
8. What do John Grady and Rawlins do with the deer Rawlins shoots?
9. What are the difficulties described by the man who traveled to America to pick up the new horse for Don Hector?
10. What does Perez say a prison resembles and why?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)