|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antonio call the new stud horse?
(a) Padre bueno
(b) Caballo padre
(c) Wonderful beauty
2. How many friends are with Hector Rocha y Villareal the morning after John Grady and Rawlins arrive?
3. What day does John Grady and Rawlins begin breaking the horses?
4. Who is watching John Grady and Rawlins as they continue working on the horses after lunch?
(a) Only the ranch owner and foreman
(b) No one
(c) About twenty cowboys
(d) About twenty men, women and children
5. How does John Grady say the man named Julius Ramsey killed a lion?
(a) Climbed a tree and knocked it out for the dogs to kill
(b) Shot it
(c) Killed it with his bare hands
(d) Hit it with a rock
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general conversation when John Grady and Rawlins take their seats at the dinner table their first night on the ranch?
2. What does John Grady say about the smell of the first horse he catches?
3. How old is John?
4. What is it that John Grady and Rawlins talk about for a time on the night of their second trip away from the Ranch?
5. Where does John spend the night during his only night in San Antonio?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the girl John Grady and Rawlins see as they join up with the cattle herd.
2. What does John Grady do before he leaves the city of Saltillo?
3. What does Alejandra say she learned about her father after she told him that she and John Grady were lovers?
4. Who wins the chess games between Alfonsa and John Grady?
5. What does the Senora say about Don Hector allowing John Grady's arrest?
6. What is the fate of John Grady and of his attacker once the fight ends?
7. What does the old man in the cell with John Grady and Rawlins say about his confinement at Encantada?
8. It is noted that John's grandfather has the distinction of being the first to die in a particular way. What was that way?
9. What is Rawlins' response when John Grady says Don Hector has asked John Grady to move into the barn to work with the horses?
10. What does John Grady say when Rawlins tells him that his father has passed away?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)