|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Captain tell Rawlins to pull down his pants?
(a) He does not say
(b) To check for a birthmark
(c) A guard wants the pants
(d) To be tortured
2. What advice are John Grady and Rawlins given upon arriving in the tiny hut where they are held prisoner?
(a) Don't fight the guards
(b) Don't yell for help
(c) Don't step in the bucket
(d) Don't go to sleep
3. What does the Captain use as a sling for his injury?
(a) A shirt
(b) A belt
(c) A rope
(d) A bandana
4. What color is the envelope John Grady is given as he prepares to leave the ranch?
5. Why does Perez say he chooses to remain in prison?
(a) He has a good life
(b) He has political enemies
(c) He is respected in the prison
(d) He can't find a way to escape
6. How long does John Grady realize he has been gone from La Vega?
(a) Seventeen days
(b) Seven weeks
(c) Twelve days
(d) Nine weeks
7. How many farm workers are picked up near Paredon?
8. Where does Emilio Perez live?
(a) In a large cell on the ground floor
(b) In a house on the prison grounds but apart from the prisoners
(c) In the cell next to John Grady and Rawlins
(d) Just outside the prison
9. What does Blevins pull from his boot and give John Grady and Rawlins just before he is killed?
(a) A letter
(b) A knife
(c) An address
10. Who carries John Grady out of the prison yard after the fight?
(a) Perez's man
(d) A guard
11. What is the first thing John Grady buys in Los Picos?
(a) A steak
(b) A jacket
(d) A bucket
12. Where is the hotel John Grady and Rawlins stay on their first night out of prison?
(a) Cabella Street
(b) Alamedia Street
(c) Aldama Street
(d) Castela Street
13. What is the scene depicted on the tapestry in the room where the Senora and John Grady meet?
(a) Two horses drinking from a pool
(b) A meeting of two horsemen
(c) A herd of horses running
(d) A fighting bull
14. What do the men take when they catch up with John Grady and the Captain?
(a) Cash and a gun
(b) Only the Captain
(c) A horse and a blanket
(d) The Captain and a horse
15. How many days do John Grady and Rawlins travel as captives?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first of the three to be taken to the Captain for questioning the day after John Grady and Rawlins' arrival?
2. How long had Abuela worked for John Grady's family?
3. What is the first thing John Grady buys when he reaches La Vega?
4. What are the first things John Grady and Rawlins buy with the money Jimmy Blevins gave them?
5. What do John Grady and Rawlins eat their first lunchtime of captivity?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)