|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is John Grady shot?
(a) In the leg
(b) In the side
(c) In the shoulder
(d) In the hand
2. What does John Grady confess to the judge after the hearing is over?
(a) That he is a runaway
(b) That he killed a boy while in prison
(c) That the horse really is not his
(d) That he wants to go home
3. What do the farm workers give John Grady to make his ride more comfortable?
(a) Their bundles
(c) Their hats
(d) A seat
4. What does John Grady buy with the last of the money he has at Los Picos?
(a) Coffee, salt, cornmal and tinned fruit
(b) Tinned fruit, tortillas, salt and cornmeal
(c) Coffee, tortillas, tinned fruit and beans
(d) Cornmeal, tinned fruit and beans
5. What is in the envelope John Grady is given after the knife fight?
(a) A pardon
(b) A bus ticket
(d) A letter
6. How long had Abuela worked for John Grady's family?
(a) Fifty years
(b) Fifty-five years
(c) Fifteen years
(d) Fourty-five years
7. For what city does Rawlins buy a bus ticket?
(a) San Angelo
(b) Nuevo Laredo
(c) Mexico City
(d) El Paso
8. What does the charro hand John Grady as John Grady is riding out of the stable yard with the Captain?
(a) A knife
(b) A pistol
(c) His hat
(d) The reins to Blevins' horse
9. What color dress is Alejandra wearing when she arrives at the station to meet John Grady?
10. Where is the man hiding when he shoots John Grady?
(a) Behind a door
(b) Behind Blevins' horse
(c) On a roof
(d) Behind a pickup
11. How are men judged within the prison hierarchy?
(a) Their possessions
(b) The level of their guilt
(c) Their willingness to kill
(d) Their ability to withstand torture
12. What is the name of the town where John Grady and Rawlins stop with their captors?
(c) Mexico City
13. What is the first thing John Grady buys when he reaches La Vega?
(a) A Coca-Cola
(d) A horse
14. What is the dead animal John Grady finds during his ride that afternoon?
(a) A mare
(b) A heifer
(c) A greyhound
(d) A colt
15. What does the Senora say are the bonds that tie people closest together?
(a) The bonds of grief
(b) The bonds of friendship
(c) The bonds of parenting
(d) The bonds of love
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John Grady say he is going to return to the ranch?
2. What is the scene depicted on the tapestry in the room where the Senora and John Grady meet?
3. Where does John Grady say his country is?
4. Who carries John Grady out of the prison yard after the fight?
5. In what room does John Grady meet with the Senora?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)