|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing John Grady buys in Los Picos?
(b) A bucket
(c) A steak
(d) A jacket
2. How are men judged within the prison hierarchy?
(a) Their willingness to kill
(b) Their ability to withstand torture
(c) The level of their guilt
(d) Their possessions
3. What color dress is Alejandra wearing when she arrives at the station to meet John Grady?
4. What is in the envelope John Grady is given after the knife fight?
(b) A letter
(c) A bus ticket
(d) A pardon
5. What is the fate of the Captain?
(a) The men kill him.
(b) John Grady hands him over to the authorities.
(c) His fate is never revealed.
(d) He passes out and John Grady leaves him behind.
6. What does John Grady buy with the last of the money he has at Los Picos?
(a) Cornmeal, tinned fruit and beans
(b) Coffee, tortillas, tinned fruit and beans
(c) Coffee, salt, cornmal and tinned fruit
(d) Tinned fruit, tortillas, salt and cornmeal
7. In what room does John Grady meet with the Senora?
(a) The dining room
(b) The kitchen
(c) The parlor
(d) Her suite
8. What did the Senora study in school?
9. How long had Abuela worked for John Grady's family?
(a) Fifteen years
(b) Fifty-five years
(c) Fifty years
(d) Fourty-five years
10. What time is John Grady told to return for a meeting with the Senora?
(b) Ten that evening
(c) Ten the next morning
(d) Nine o'clock
11. What time do John Grady and Rawlins arrive in Saltillo?
(b) Ten o'clock in the morning
(c) Just after noon
(d) Ten o'clock at night
12. What does Reverend Jimmy Blevins' wife think John Henry wants from her husband?
(a) For him to take the horse
(b) For him to bless the horse
(c) For him to pray for John Grady
(d) For him to help find the kid's parents
13. Where does John Grady say his country is?
(a) He says it is Texas.
(b) He says it is Mexico.
(c) He says it is wherever he can find horses.
(d) He says he does not know.
14. The day John Grady reaches San Buenaventura, he sees some children. What are they playing?
(a) They are splashing in the water.
(b) They are playing tag.
(c) They are playing baseball.
(d) They are playing cards.
15. What do the men give John Grady when they catch up with him and the Captain?
(a) A blanket
(b) A horse
(d) A saddle
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the first things John Grady and Rawlins buy with the money Jimmy Blevins gave them?
2. What do the farm workers give John Grady to make his ride more comfortable?
3. What does John Grady have for dinner with the Reverend and Mrs. Blevins?
4. What game does John Grady kill for food soon after parting ways with the Captain?
5. How does Blevins say he recovered his gun?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)