|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in the photograph on John's grandfather's desk?
(a) John's grandmother
(b) John's father
(d) John's mother
2. What do the three drink at the small store in Reforma?
(b) Apple juice
3. How does John Grady say the man named Julius Ramsey killed a lion?
(a) Climbed a tree and knocked it out for the dogs to kill
(b) Shot it
(c) Killed it with his bare hands
(d) Hit it with a rock
4. What clue do John Grady and Rawlins have that Don Hector is near their camping place in the mountains?
(a) The sound of talking
(b) The sight of a campfire
(c) The sound of horses
(d) The sight of greyhounds
5. What is the name of the man who goes along with John Grady and the others into the mountains as a cook?
6. How much land is in the la Purisima ranch?
(a) Eleven thousand hectres
(b) Eleven hundred acres
(c) Eleven hundred hectres
(d) Eleven thousand acres
7. What does the kid say is his real name?
(a) Jimmy Blivet
(b) Jared Belvins
(c) James Bodine
(d) Jimmy Blevins
8. Why do Rawlins and John tell the young Mexican they are fleeing?
(a) They stole two horses.
(b) They do not say.
(c) They robbed a bank.
(d) They killed a man.
9. Why can't the three boys buy water from the caravans they encounter?
(a) They do not have any coins small enough
(b) They do not have enough money
(c) The merchants do not have water to spare
(d) The water is not drinkable
10. What does Antonio call the new stud horse?
(a) Padre bueno
(b) Wonderful beauty
(c) Caballo padre
11. What is the general conversation when John Grady and Rawlins take their seats at the dinner table their first night on the ranch?
(a) Horses, cattle and America
(b) Plans for the following day's work
(c) Why John Grady and Rawlins are in Mexico
(d) There is no conversation at the table
12. How far do John and Rawlins travel by noon their first day?
(a) Forty-four miles
(b) Forty miles
(c) Four miles
(d) Fourteen miles
13. Where does Blevins wait out the thunderstorm?
(a) Under the roots of a tree
(b) In a cave
(c) Under the edge of a rock overhand
(d) Under teh wide limbs of a tree
14. What do John Grady and Alejandra have to drink during the intermission at the dance?
15. Why does John Grady say the horses in the corral are so skittish?
(a) They have never been penned before.
(b) They have never smelled white men.
(c) They have never seen a man afoot.
(d) They hare been penned up for too long.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what habit does John fuss at his father?
2. Where do they see Blevins' horse?
3. How many men are in the first group of Mexicans on horseback John Grady, Rawlins and the kid meet on their way across the country?
4. What is the book Don Hector asks if John Grady has read?
5. What does John Grady rub over the horse before putting the saddle on it?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)