|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the barn where John Grady works with the horses?
2. About what habit does John fuss at his father?
3. What is it that John Grady and Rawlins talk about for a time on the night of their second trip away from the Ranch?
(b) Whether anyone was looking for them
(c) How much longer they should remain
(d) Lineage of horses
4. Why does John Grady say the horses in the corral are so skittish?
(a) They have never smelled white men.
(b) They have never seen a man afoot.
(c) They have never been penned before.
(d) They hare been penned up for too long.
5. What does Don Hector reveal about plans for Alejandra?
(a) That she is to remain in Mexico City
(b) That she is to be sent to France
(c) That she is to be sent to America
(d) That she is to be married to a wealthy landowner
6. What do the boys use for a fire on the last night before they reach the ranch?
(a) They have no fire
(b) An entire dead tree
(c) Their blankets
(d) A pile of twigs
7. Where does Blevins wait out the thunderstorm?
(a) Under teh wide limbs of a tree
(b) Under the roots of a tree
(c) In a cave
(d) Under the edge of a rock overhand
8. What day does John Grady and Rawlins begin breaking the horses?
9. What do Rawlins, John Grady and the other young boy from the ranch share before going into the dance?
(a) A steak
(d) Gum and liquor
10. What trick does Rawlins perform that makes the little Mexican girls laugh?
(a) Pretends to pull his finger off and put it back on
(b) Pulls a quarter from behind their ears
(c) Pretends to pull off their noses
(d) Falls off the bench
11. How does John Grady say the man named Julius Ramsey killed a lion?
(a) Killed it with his bare hands
(b) Hit it with a rock
(c) Climbed a tree and knocked it out for the dogs to kill
(d) Shot it
12. What does Rawlins throw up in the air for the kid to shoot?
(a) His plate
(b) His wallet
(c) A rock
(d) A bottle
13. Where are John and Rawlins headed?
(b) San Antonio
(c) San Angelo
(d) Santa Fe
14. How many men are in the first group of Mexicans on horseback John Grady, Rawlins and the kid meet on their way across the country?
15. What two things do the soldiers ask John Grady as he is being arrested?
(a) Where is his gun and his knife
(b) Where is Don Hector's horse and Alejandra
(c) Where is Alejandra and her horse
(d) Where is his gun and his horse
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do John Grady and Rawlins wait out the thunderstorm?
2. What does Antonio call the new stud horse?
3. What is the name of John's family attorney?
4. What is the name of the eatery where John and his father share a meal?
5. What was the original purpose of the room in which John Grady and Don Hector play a game?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)