|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Blevins have in his possession the morning after the thunderstorm?
(a) A boot
(b) A boot and hat
(c) A pair of boots
(d) Boots and a shirt
2. What does John Grady say about the smell of the first horse he catches?
(a) That it smells like a country morning
(b) That it smells like a goat
(c) That it smells like what it is - a wild animal
(d) That it smells like what it is - a horse
3. What is it that John Grady and Rawlins talk about for a time on the night of their second trip away from the Ranch?
(b) How much longer they should remain
(c) Lineage of horses
(d) Whether anyone was looking for them
4. Into what game does Don Hector invite John Grady to join?
(d) Horse shoes
5. What is NOT among the clothing items John Grady and Rawlns buy on their trip into town?
(c) Shirts and pants
(d) Socks and underwear
6. Where does Don Hector Rocha y Villareal's wife live?
(a) In a suite in the ranch house
(b) Mexico City
(c) In Santa Fe
(d) With her mother at the ranch next door
7. How does John know his former girlfriend is watching him as he walks away from her?
(a) He sees her reflection in a window.
(b) She calls out to him.
(c) He does not know.
(d) He turns to look.
8. Who is in the photo that was shot by the kid?
(a) Betty Ward
(b) Mary Blevins
(c) Mary Catherine
(d) Betsy Rawlins
9. What is the name of the boy John Grady and Rawlins share a drink with before entering the dance?
10. What is the book Don Hector asks if John Grady has read?
(a) Horse of Mexico
(b) Horse of America
(c) Horse and Man
(d) Horses and Breeding
11. What does Don Hector reveal about plans for Alejandra?
(a) That she is to be sent to America
(b) That she is to remain in Mexico City
(c) That she is to be sent to France
(d) That she is to be married to a wealthy landowner
12. What do the boys use for a fire on the last night before they reach the ranch?
(a) A pile of twigs
(b) They have no fire
(c) Their blankets
(d) An entire dead tree
13. Who does John Grady say taught him to play chess?
(a) His father
(b) His grandfather
(d) No one
14. Who is it that stops John and asks if they can be friends just before he leaves San Angelo?
(a) Mary Elizabeth
(b) Cathy Martin
(c) Martha Agnes
(d) Mary Catherine
15. What was Duena Alfonsa's profession as a young woman?
(a) Chess teacher
(b) School teacher
(d) House wife
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of horses are in the painting in the dining room, according to John's grandfather?
2. How old is John?
3. What is the name of John's family attorney?
4. Rawlins asks whether a person can believe in heaven without believing in hell. What is John Grady's response?
5. What kind of horse is ridden by the young girl John Grady and Rawlins see on their way to the ranch for the first time?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)