|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the kid say is his real name?
(a) Jimmy Blivet
(b) Jared Belvins
(c) Jimmy Blevins
(d) James Bodine
2. The Mexican woman gives John Grady and Rawlins a lunch after they leave her home. What do they carry the lunch in?
(a) A box
(b) A bag
(c) A bucket
(d) A cloth
3. What kind of horses does Don Hector say he intends to raise?
(a) He doesn't say
(b) Race horses
4. Where does Blevins wait out the thunderstorm?
(a) In a cave
(b) Under the roots of a tree
(c) Under the edge of a rock overhand
(d) Under teh wide limbs of a tree
5. Where does John spend the night during his only night in San Antonio?
(a) A cheap motel
(c) The theater
(d) The Eagle Cafe
6. What does Don Hector reveal about plans for Alejandra?
(a) That she is to be married to a wealthy landowner
(b) That she is to remain in Mexico City
(c) That she is to be sent to France
(d) That she is to be sent to America
7. What is it that the waitress calls everyone?
8. How many days does John Grady say it will take to rough break the horses?
(a) Fourteen days
(b) Six days
(c) Four days
(d) Sixteen days
9. What piece of furniture is described in some detail as being in the hallway of the ranch house?
(a) A brass candlabra
(b) A silver tea service
(c) A wooden rocking chair
(d) A tallcase clock
10. What does John Grady say about the smell of the first horse he catches?
(a) That it smells like what it is - a horse
(b) That it smells like a country morning
(c) That it smells like a goat
(d) That it smells like what it is - a wild animal
11. Who is it that stops John and asks if they can be friends just before he leaves San Angelo?
(a) Cathy Martin
(b) Mary Elizabeth
(c) Martha Agnes
(d) Mary Catherine
12. Where does the kid say he is headed when he first encounters John Grady and Rawlins?
(a) El Paso
13. Who is in the photograph on John's grandfather's desk?
(a) John's grandmother
(b) John's father
(d) John's mother
14. Where are John and Rawlins headed?
(b) Santa Fe
(c) San Antonio
(d) San Angelo
15. What is John Grady's response when Rawlins asks if it is possible to believe in heaven without believing in hell?
(b) He says he doesn't know
(d) That a person can believe whatever they want
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't the three boys buy water from the caravans they encounter?
2. How old is Don Hector Rocha y Villareal?
3. What two things do the soldiers ask John Grady as he is being arrested?
4. What does John Grady instruct Rawlins to do before buying his new boots?
5. Why do Rawlins and John tell the young Mexican they are fleeing?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)