|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percent of the vote did the winner of the presidential election receive?
2. What happens to Dean in Chapter 16?
3. What is unusual about McCord?
4. What does Deep Throat claim that neither the FBI nor the Post will be able to prove?
5. What does Deep Throat do to Woodward in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is notable about the process server who finally finds Bernstein?
2. What is the significance of the President’s ‘whitewash’ comment?
3. Why does McCord write his letter to the judge?
4. What do the reporters suspect happened to the slush funds after June 17th?
5. What is Haldeman's main mode of operation, according to the reporters?
6. Why is Deep Throat so upset about the Haldeman article?
7. Why are the documents Gray provides significant?
8. How does the book describe Haldeman's relationship to CRP?
9. Given Bernstein's voting - in the election and the poll - what does he think of McGovern?
10. Why would the President want to ‘destroy’ the Post?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many members of the Nixon White House were involved in both CRP and the cover-up of Watergate. Which members were they, and what were their roles? How does this speak to the necessary skills needed for the campaign?
Essay Topic 2
Sloan provides the reporters with a variety of claims and evidence. Detail their relationship to Sloan. At what points do they trust him? Mistrust him? How is this in keeping with his character, as detailed by the book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Watergate break-in itself. Why was this such a big deal? Why did it require months of investigation afterwards? How does this speak to the political system in the United States?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)