|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Bernstein planned on doing instead of the Watergate story?
(a) He was going to investigate CRP anyway.
(b) He planned on working on another story.
(c) He was doing background research for Woodward.
(d) He was going to take a long vacation.
2. Whom does Bernstein call in Chapter 7?
(a) Muskie supporters.
(b) Nixon supporters.
(c) McGovern supporters.
(d) Undecided voters.
3. What do reporters at the newsroom tease Bernstein about during the investigation into CRP’s checks?
(a) His friendship with Woodward.
(b) His tendency to push deadlines.
(c) His last-minute revisions.
(d) His level of Spanish.
4. Whose name comes up in a variety of sources?
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) Sally Harmony.
(c) George McGovern.
(d) Gordon Liddy.
5. Where did Woodward receive his college diploma?
(c) Community college.
(d) He didn’t.
6. For whom does Howard Hunt work directly?
7. How does the subject of the reporters’ story in Chapter 5 respond to it?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He has no comment.
(c) He is furious.
(d) He is terrified.
8. How does Howard Hunt respond to the story about the burglars’ connection to the White House?
(a) We’ll deny everything.
(b) Do your worst.
(d) Good God!
9. How often had Woodward and Bernstein worked together before Watergate?
(c) Several times.
(d) They hadn’t.
10. What is the pizza that Ziegler references?
(a) A factual error that the reporters made.
(b) One of the pranks played on the McGovern campaign.
(c) A mis-quoted source that the reporters used.
(d) Code to warn off the reporters.
11. What is Young’s connection to the White House?
(a) He is a friend of Nixon’s.
(b) He knows Chapin and Segretti.
(c) He is a major CRP fundraiser.
(d) He worked there.
12. What word does Ziegler try to avoid during the press conference in Chapter 8?
(b) The Post.
13. Why was Dahlberg difficult to reach to at first?
(a) He was under CRP’s protection.
(b) His neighbor had been kidnapped.
(c) His wife was ill.
(d) His grandmother had died.
14. What excuse does Bernstein use to stay in the Bookkeeper’s house?
(a) He uses her telephone.
(b) He convinces her to go on the record.
(c) He drinks a cup of coffee.
(d) He tells her he is being followed.
15. What is Sloan’s current job?
(a) He works for CRP.
(b) He is an independent consultant.
(c) He works for the White House.
(d) He is unemployed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the New York Times make the connection between Segretti and Chapin?
2. What is the colloquial term that CRP used for its subterfuge tactics?
3. What is Chapin’s job at the White House?
4. What did Deep Throat provide for the reporters?
5. What was strange about John Mitchell’s resignation from office?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)