|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Sergeant Major von Rumpel recently completed treatments in Part Seven: August 1942?
2. What does Werner say is his favorite thing he has ever seen in his letter to Jutta in Part Nine: May 1944?
3. What word from Part Eight: 9 August 1944 refers to a cannon having a relatively short barrel that is used for firing shells at a high angle of elevation?
4. How old is Werner when Frederick has disappeared at the school in Part Five: January 1941?
5. What is the name of the German truck that carries electrical gear in Part Seven: August 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Etienne begin helping the French Resistance in Part Seven: August 1942? What precautions does he take?
2. How does Marie-Laure determine that someone is in the house in Part Six: 8 August 1944? How does she react to this information?
3. What leads to Etienne forbidding Madame Manec to participate in treasonous activities in his home in Part Five: January 1941?
4. What does Frau Elena do when she and the girls encounter the Russian soldiers in Part Eleven: 1945?
5. What happens after Werner hears the first Russian voices on the radio in Part Seven: August 1942?
6. How is Marie-Laure affected by the German surrender in Part Eleven: 1945?
7. What is the mission that Werner's group is assigned in Saint-Malo in Part Nine: May 1944?
8. How is Bernd's death described in Part Six: 8 August 1944? How does Werner react to Bernd's death?
9. How are Jutta's circumstances described in Part Eleven: 1945? Where does Jutta live and work?
10. How does Sergeant Major von Rumpel respond when he learns that he has only a short amount of time left in Part Nine: May 1944?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Sea of Flames in the novel. When and where is this object first introduced? What is the legend of the Sea of Flames? How does this object drive the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Saint-Malo and the circumstances of World War II in Saint-Malo in August of 1944. For how long had the war been raging in Europe at this time? What major events of the war occurred in August of 1944? What statements are on the flyers that drop upon Saint-Malo in the first chapters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Germany’s National Political Institutes of Education and the testing undergone by Werner in Part Three: June 1940. What types of tests does Werner take in Essen? How many students will be accepted into the program? When was the National Political Institutes of Education established and what was its mission?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)