|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Jewess from Frederick's elevator that appears to Werner in a vision in Part Ten: 12 August 1944?
2. Who are the twins that Jutta works with at the laundry, according to her letter in Part Five: January 1941?
3. What is Bernd's first name?
4. Who runs the bakery that Marie-Laure visits daily in Part Nine: May 1944?
5. What code phrase does the baker tell Marie-Laure when she goes to get her bread in Part Nine: May 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exchange takes place between Werner and Sergeant Major von Rumpel in Part Ten: 12 August 1944?
2. What is related in Daniel LeBlanc's letter to Marie-Laure in Part Five: January 1941?
3. Where does Sergeant Major von Rumpel go inside of Etienne's home in Part Six: 8 August 1944? What is he seeking?
4. How does Marie-Laure determine that someone is in the house in Part Six: 8 August 1944? How does she react to this information?
5. How does Werner respond when Marie-Laure ends her broadcast in Part Ten: 12 August 1944?
6. What leads to Etienne forbidding Madame Manec to participate in treasonous activities in his home in Part Five: January 1941?
7. What does Marie-Laure do with the radio in the attic in Part Eight: 9 August 1944? Why?
8. What is Sergeant Major von Rumpel doing in Etienne's home in Part Eight: 9 August 1944?
9. What does Werner discover while listening to Etienne on the radio in Part Nine: May 1944? How does Werner deal with the situation?
10. What is the mission that Werner's group is assigned in Saint-Malo in Part Nine: May 1944?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Saint-Malo and the circumstances of World War II in Saint-Malo in August of 1944. For how long had the war been raging in Europe at this time? What major events of the war occurred in August of 1944? What statements are on the flyers that drop upon Saint-Malo in the first chapters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Germany’s National Political Institutes of Education and the testing undergone by Werner in Part Three: June 1940. What types of tests does Werner take in Essen? How many students will be accepted into the program? When was the National Political Institutes of Education established and what was its mission?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of war and fear in All the Light We Cannot See. How are these themes illustrated through Etienne’s character? What other characters in the novel relate to these themes? What are examples of symbolism and imagery that reflect the themes of war and fear?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)