|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pseudonym does Madame Manec choose for herself in Part Five: January 1941?
2. What book is Marie-Laure reading from when she first begins transmitting from the radio in Part Eight: 9 August 1944?
3. When did the Allied Forces defeat Germany, ending World War II in Europe?
4. How large has the tumor in Sergeant Major von Rumpel's throat grown when he visits the doctor in Nuremberg in Part Nine: May 1944?
5. What is the name of the corporal that greets Werner in the beginning of Part Seven: August 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Werner respond when Marie-Laure ends her broadcast in Part Ten: 12 August 1944?
2. What does Frau Elena do when she and the girls encounter the Russian soldiers in Part Eleven: 1945?
3. How does Werner respond when he hears Marie-Laure on the radio in Part Eight: 9 August 1944?
4. What does Werner discover while listening to Etienne on the radio in Part Nine: May 1944? How does Werner deal with the situation?
5. How do Etienne and Madame Manec reach a resolution to their conflict in Part Five: January 1941?
6. How are Jutta's circumstances described in Part Eleven: 1945? Where does Jutta live and work?
7. How does Sergeant Major von Rumpel respond when he learns that he has only a short amount of time left in Part Nine: May 1944?
8. Where does Sergeant Major von Rumpel go inside of Etienne's home in Part Six: 8 August 1944? What is he seeking?
9. What does Werner's group encounter in Vienna in Part Seven: August 1942?
10. How is Bernd's death described in Part Six: 8 August 1944? How does Werner react to Bernd's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tenets of Nazism. How are the tenets of Nazism demonstrated at Werner’s school? In what ways does the study of phrenology connect with Nazi racist beliefs? How does Werner cope with the rise of the Nazi regime during his years in school?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Daniel LeBlanc in the novel. How old is Marie-Laure’s father when Marie-Laure is born? What actions does Daniel take in order to help his daughter adjust with blindness? Is he effective in his efforts? What happens to Daniel LeBlanc in the course of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Madame Manec and Etienne LeBlanc in All the Light We Cannot See. How old is Madame Manec? What is her position in Etienne’s household? What kind of relationship does Marie-Laure form with Madame Manec during her first days at this home?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)