|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What objects does Marie-Laure have with her as she hides from the German inside the house at the end of Part Six: 8 August 1944?
2. Where do Madame Manec and Marie-Laure meet with the man named Rene in Part Five: January 1941?
3. How large has the tumor in Sergeant Major von Rumpel's throat grown when he visits the doctor in Nuremberg in Part Nine: May 1944?
4. What is the final song that Marie-Laure plays over the radio waves in Part Ten: 12 August 1944?
5. When the French policemen search Etienne's house, they comment about what objects that he has kept in a closet that could put him in jeopardy in Part Five: January 1941?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Werner's group encounter in Vienna in Part Seven: August 1942?
2. What does Marie-Laure do when she decides to take a stand in Part Ten: 12 August 1944?
3. Where do Marie and Etienne go after the end of the war in Europe in Part Eleven: 1945?
4. Where does Sergeant Major von Rumpel go inside of Etienne's home in Part Six: 8 August 1944? What is he seeking?
5. How does Marie-Laure determine that someone is in the house in Part Six: 8 August 1944? How does she react to this information?
6. What leads to Etienne forbidding Madame Manec to participate in treasonous activities in his home in Part Five: January 1941?
7. What internal conflicts does Marie-Laure face in Part Eight: 9 August 1944? How does she overcome these conflicts?
8. What inspires Volkheimer to find a way to freedom from the collapsed hotel basement in Part Ten: 12 August 1944? How does he escape?
9. How are Jutta's circumstances described in Part Eleven: 1945? Where does Jutta live and work?
10. What does Frau Elena do when she and the girls encounter the Russian soldiers in Part Eleven: 1945?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the characters of Marie-Laure LeBlanc and Werner Pfennig as the central characters in the novel. How old are each of these characters when they are introduced? How would you describe each character’s circumstances when they are introduced? How do Marie-Laure’s circumstances differ from Werner’s? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters of Frederick, Bastian, Dr. Hauptmann, and Frank Volkheimer in All the Light We Cannot See. Why is Frederick chosen as the weakest among the recruits? How do the authority figures at the school encourage abuses against Frederick? What is Werner’s relationship with each of these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of light versus darkness and blindness versus sight in All the Light We Cannot See. How are these themes incorporated into the title of the novel? How are these themes developed through symbolism and imagery in Part Six: 8 August 1944? What do you think is referred to by the title of the novel?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)