|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drug is in the ampules that Sergeant Major von Rumpel takes in Part Eight: 9 August 1944?
2. What does Bernd describe to Werner and Volkheimer before he dies in Part Six: 8 August 1944?
3. Who is the mining official that has sent a note congratulating Werner for his successes in Part Eight: 9 August 1944?
4. What does Vokheimer pile onto Bernd's body after he dies in Part Six: 8 August 1944?
5. Where does Werner's group unload, refuel, and eat on their way to Saint-Malo in Part Nine: May 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frau Elena do when she and the girls encounter the Russian soldiers in Part Eleven: 1945?
2. Where does Sergeant Major von Rumpel go inside of Etienne's home in Part Six: 8 August 1944? What is he seeking?
3. What does Marie-Laure do when she decides to take a stand in Part Ten: 12 August 1944?
4. What happens after Werner hears the first Russian voices on the radio in Part Seven: August 1942?
5. How is Bernd's death described in Part Six: 8 August 1944? How does Werner react to Bernd's death?
6. How do Etienne and Madame Manec reach a resolution to their conflict in Part Five: January 1941?
7. How does Etienne begin helping the French Resistance in Part Seven: August 1942? What precautions does he take?
8. How does Marie-Laure determine that someone is in the house in Part Six: 8 August 1944? How does she react to this information?
9. What does Werner's group encounter in Vienna in Part Seven: August 1942?
10. How does Werner respond when Marie-Laure ends her broadcast in Part Ten: 12 August 1944?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of mortality versus immortality in the novel. How does Etienne describe his objectives in creating the radio transmitter in the attic? Whom did Etienne hope to contact? How does Marie-Laure perceive Etienne’s fears of mortality?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Daniel LeBlanc in the novel. How old is Marie-Laure’s father when Marie-Laure is born? What actions does Daniel take in order to help his daughter adjust with blindness? Is he effective in his efforts? What happens to Daniel LeBlanc in the course of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the actions, objectives, and obstacles of Werner and Volkheimer in Part Two: 8 August, 1944. What has caused Werner and Volkheimer to become entrapped? How do they go about trying to free themselves? What obstacles do they face?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)