|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the final song that Marie-Laure plays over the radio waves in Part Ten: 12 August 1944?
2. What prison do the French policemen say that they believe Daniel LeBlanc may be housed at in Part Five: January 1941?
3. What has caught fire in the house when Werner enters and faces von Rumpel in Part Ten: 12 August 1944?
4. Where does Marie-Laure go to refill her can with water while the German is still in the house in Part Eight: 9 August 1944?
5. Who is the mining official that has sent a note congratulating Werner for his successes in Part Eight: 9 August 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sergeant Major von Rumpel respond when he learns that he has only a short amount of time left in Part Nine: May 1944?
2. How is Marie-Laure affected by the German surrender in Part Eleven: 1945?
3. What does Frau Elena do when she and the girls encounter the Russian soldiers in Part Eleven: 1945?
4. What does Werner discover while listening to Etienne on the radio in Part Nine: May 1944? How does Werner deal with the situation?
5. What inspires Volkheimer to find a way to freedom from the collapsed hotel basement in Part Ten: 12 August 1944? How does he escape?
6. How are Jutta's circumstances described in Part Eleven: 1945? Where does Jutta live and work?
7. What does Werner witness at the train station near Lodz in Part Seven: August 1942? How does this affect him?
8. How does Marie-Laure determine that someone is in the house in Part Six: 8 August 1944? How does she react to this information?
9. What internal conflicts does Marie-Laure face in Part Eight: 9 August 1944? How does she overcome these conflicts?
10. What does Werner's group encounter in Vienna in Part Seven: August 1942?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of mortality versus immortality in the novel. How does Etienne describe his objectives in creating the radio transmitter in the attic? Whom did Etienne hope to contact? How does Marie-Laure perceive Etienne’s fears of mortality?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Reinhold von Rumpel in All the Light We Cannot See. How old is von Rumpel when his character is first introduced? What is his background? What is von Rumpel’s main objective in the novel? How does he go about achieving this objective?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Saint-Malo and the circumstances of World War II in Saint-Malo in August of 1944. For how long had the war been raging in Europe at this time? What major events of the war occurred in August of 1944? What statements are on the flyers that drop upon Saint-Malo in the first chapters?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)