|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Etienne leave a trail of on the ground for Marie-Laure to find when he first meets her in Part Three: June 1940?
2. What does the word "corsair" mean as used in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
3. What has Marie-Laure's father been building a model of in Part Three: June 1940?
4. The stone that pops out of the miniature house and into Marie-Laure's palm is described as being what size, in Part Zero: 7 August, 1944?
5. Who hacks at the rubble in the stairwell as Werner watches in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Werner Pfennig doing when his character is first introduced in Part Zero: 7 August, 1944? Where is Werner?
2. How is Claude Levitte described in Part Three: June 1940? What is Claude Levitte's objective?
3. What efforts does Volkheimer make to free himself and the others in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
4. What thoughts consume Bermd, Volkheimer, and Werner in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
5. Where does Marie-Laure go to seek shelter during the bombing in Part Two: 8 August, 1944? Why? What does she take with her?
6. What setting is introduced in Chapter 1: "Leaflets"? What leaflets are referred to in the title of this chapter?
7. What do Marie-Laure and her father find when they reach Francois Giannot's house in Part Three: June 1940?
8. What gifts does Marie-Laure's father begin giving her after she becomes blind in Part One: 1934?
9. How does the narrator describe Marie-Laure's reaction to the bombing in Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
10. What does Marie-Laure discover in the cellar in Part Four: 8 August 1944? What does Marie-Laure think about as she hides?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of mortality versus immortality in the novel. How does Etienne describe his objectives in creating the radio transmitter in the attic? Whom did Etienne hope to contact? How does Marie-Laure perceive Etienne’s fears of mortality?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Saint-Malo and the circumstances of World War II in Saint-Malo in August of 1944. For how long had the war been raging in Europe at this time? What major events of the war occurred in August of 1944? What statements are on the flyers that drop upon Saint-Malo in the first chapters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Sea of Flames in the novel. When and where is this object first introduced? What is the legend of the Sea of Flames? How does this object drive the characters in the story?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)