|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cans of food does Marie-Laure find in the cellar in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
2. Where does Sergeant Major von Rumpel stay in Paris in Part Five: January 1941?
3. What is the name of Marie-Laure's great-uncle who owns the house where she is staying in Chapter 3 of Part Zero: 7 August, 1944?
4. Who is the directress of the orphanage where Werner grows up?
5. The following is one of the quotes which opens the novel: "It would not have been possible for us to take power or to use it in the ways we have without the radio." Who is attributed to this quote?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Marie-Laure obtain the Sea of Flames from in Part Zero: 7 August, 1944? How is this object described?
2. What gifts does Marie-Laure's father begin giving her after she becomes blind in Part One: 1934?
3. What test does Werner undergo in Part Three: June 1940? What are the results of Werner's testing?
4. What efforts does Volkheimer make to free himself and the others in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
5. What thoughts consume Bermd, Volkheimer, and Werner in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
6. What setting is introduced in Chapter 1: "Leaflets"? What leaflets are referred to in the title of this chapter?
7. How is Claude Levitte described in Part Three: June 1940? What is Claude Levitte's objective?
8. What is Werner Pfennig doing when his character is first introduced in Part Zero: 7 August, 1944? Where is Werner?
9. What is Marie-Laure doing when the bombing begins in Chapter 3: "The Girl"?
10. What do Marie-Laure and her father find when they reach Francois Giannot's house in Part Three: June 1940?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Daniel LeBlanc in the novel. How old is Marie-Laure’s father when Marie-Laure is born? What actions does Daniel take in order to help his daughter adjust with blindness? Is he effective in his efforts? What happens to Daniel LeBlanc in the course of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of war and fear in All the Light We Cannot See. How are these themes illustrated through Etienne’s character? What other characters in the novel relate to these themes? What are examples of symbolism and imagery that reflect the themes of war and fear?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tenets of Nazism. How are the tenets of Nazism demonstrated at Werner’s school? In what ways does the study of phrenology connect with Nazi racist beliefs? How does Werner cope with the rise of the Nazi regime during his years in school?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)