|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Adolf Hitler's birthday?
2. What does the word "corsair" mean as used in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
3. What was Claude Lavitte's trade prior to the war?
4. What is the name of the orphanage where Werner and his younger sister grow up?
5. Frederick tells Werner during their visit to Frederick's family home, "Your problem, Werner, is that you still believe you own" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madame Manec come to the decision to help the French Resistance in Part Five: January 1941?
2. What is Sergeant Major von Rumpel's new objective in Part Five: January 1941? Where does this objective lead him?
3. What do Marie-Laure and her father find when they reach Francois Giannot's house in Part Three: June 1940?
4. What does Werner find when he awakens in Part Two: 8 August, 1944? Where is Werner?
5. What setting is introduced in Chapter 1: "Leaflets"? What leaflets are referred to in the title of this chapter?
6. How does the narrator describe the activities in Saint-Malo in the beginning of Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
7. Where does Marie-Laure obtain the Sea of Flames from in Part Zero: 7 August, 1944? How is this object described?
8. What does the reader discover that Daniel LeBlanc is carrying with him in his flight from Paris in Part One: 1934? How is this revealed?
9. What is Marie-Laure doing when the bombing begins in Chapter 3: "The Girl"?
10. How does the narrator describe Marie-Laure's reaction to the bombing in Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tenets of Nazism. How are the tenets of Nazism demonstrated at Werner’s school? In what ways does the study of phrenology connect with Nazi racist beliefs? How does Werner cope with the rise of the Nazi regime during his years in school?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of All the Light We Cannot See. Is the narrator involved in the action of the story? Is the narrative related in a present or past tense? How does the narrator’s language style help to develop the mood and tone in the first chapters? Why do you think the author chose to implement this narrative style for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Madame Manec and Etienne LeBlanc in All the Light We Cannot See. How old is Madame Manec? What is her position in Etienne’s household? What kind of relationship does Marie-Laure form with Madame Manec during her first days at this home?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)