|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie-Laure eat when she awakens in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
2. Where does Sergeant Major von Rumpel stay in Paris in Part Five: January 1941?
3. Where are the citizens instructed to surrender their radio transmitters, according to the notices in Part Three: June 1940?
4. What month is it when Frederick disappears from the school altogether in Part Five: January 1941?
5. Where does the colonel say the Hermann Goring Division will break the American line in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Marie-Laure obtain the Sea of Flames from in Part Zero: 7 August, 1944? How is this object described?
2. What is Werner Pfennig doing when his character is first introduced in Part Zero: 7 August, 1944? Where is Werner?
3. What is Sergeant Major von Rumpel's new objective in Part Five: January 1941? Where does this objective lead him?
4. How does Etienne "introduce himself" to Marie-Laure in Part Three: June 1940? What are Marie-Laure's first impressions of her great-uncle?
5. What setting is introduced in Chapter 1: "Leaflets"? What leaflets are referred to in the title of this chapter?
6. What thoughts consume Bermd, Volkheimer, and Werner in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
7. How does the narrator describe the activities in Saint-Malo in the beginning of Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
8. What does Marie-Laure discover in the cellar in Part Four: 8 August 1944? What does Marie-Laure think about as she hides?
9. How does the author use metaphor to illustrate Sergeant Major von Rumpel's illness in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
10. What does Etienne show to Marie-Laure in the attic in Part Three: June 1940?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of Frederick’s family’s home in Part Five: January 1941. Where in Berlin does Frederick’s family live? What is significant about Werner’s observation of the Jewish woman who lives above Frederick’s family? How wealthy is Frederick’s family? Where does Frederick’s father work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of free will versus servitude in the novel. What observation does Frederick make about Werner’s outlook on life regarding this theme in Part Five? Do you think that Frederick views his life as one of free will or one of servitude? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of light versus darkness and blindness versus sight in All the Light We Cannot See. How are these themes incorporated into the title of the novel? How are these themes developed through symbolism and imagery in Part Six: 8 August 1944? What do you think is referred to by the title of the novel?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)