|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Werner when Frederick has disappeared at the school in Part Five: January 1941?
2. How large has the tumor in Sergeant Major von Rumpel's throat grown when he visits the doctor in Nuremberg in Part Nine: May 1944?
(a) Five centimeters in diameter.
(b) Two centimeters in diameter.
(c) Six centimeters in diameter.
(d) Four centimeters in diameter.
3. Where has Sergeant Major von Rumpel recently completed treatments in Part Seven: August 1942?
4. What pseudonym does Marie-Laure choose for herself in Part Five: January 1941?
(a) The Rose.
(b) The Whelk.
(c) The Bear.
(d) The Daisy.
5. Where does Etienne receive the messages from that he broadcasts via radio in Part Seven: August 1942?
(a) Inside loaves of bread.
(b) Inside pillowcases.
(c) Inside seashells on the beach.
(d) Inside apple pies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Etienne rent a flat in Paris in Part Eleven: 1945?
2. Who hurls a grenade at the stairwell under the Hotel of Bees in Part Ten: 12 August 1944?
3. What is Bernd's first name?
4. What lines the walls in the room of the house that has the model in Part Six: 8 August 1944?
5. What is the code phrase that Marie-Laure tells the baker when she goes to collect messages in Part Seven: August 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Sergeant Major von Rumpel go inside of Etienne's home in Part Six: 8 August 1944? What is he seeking?
2. Who introduces Marie-Laure to her new hiding place in Part Five: January 1941? How is this setting described?
3. What does Werner witness at the train station near Lodz in Part Seven: August 1942? How does this affect him?
4. How is Marie-Laure affected by the German surrender in Part Eleven: 1945?
5. How does Etienne begin helping the French Resistance in Part Seven: August 1942? What precautions does he take?
6. How does Marie-Laure determine that someone is in the house in Part Six: 8 August 1944? How does she react to this information?
7. What internal conflicts does Marie-Laure face in Part Eight: 9 August 1944? How does she overcome these conflicts?
8. What does Frau Elena do when she and the girls encounter the Russian soldiers in Part Eleven: 1945?
9. How is Bernd's death described in Part Six: 8 August 1944? How does Werner react to Bernd's death?
10. How are Jutta's circumstances described in Part Eleven: 1945? Where does Jutta live and work?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)