|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of gemstone is the Sea of Flames?
(a) A blue diamond.
(b) An amethyst.
(c) A yellow diamond.
(d) A ruby.
2. Who answers the door at Marie-Laure's great-uncle's home when Marie-Laure and her father arrive in Part Three: June 1940?
(b) Madame Manec.
(c) Claude Levitte.
3. What does the word "corsair" mean as used in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
4. Where is Marie-Laure hiding during the air raid in Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the attic.
(c) Under the kitchen table.
(d) Under her bed.
5. What does the word "solicitous" mean as used in Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
Short Answer Questions
1. The following is one of the quotes which opens the novel: "It would not have been possible for us to take power or to use it in the ways we have without the radio." Who is attributed to this quote?
2. How long has it been since Etienne has left his home in Part Three: June 1940?
3. How old is Marie-Laure LeBlanc when she goes blind?
4. How old is Werner Pfennig when he is introduced in Chapter 4 of Part Zero: 7 August, 1944?
5. According to the legend that the museum curator relates of the Sea of Flames in Part One: 1934, what must be done with the gem in order for the curse to be lifted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Etienne "introduce himself" to Marie-Laure in Part Three: June 1940? What are Marie-Laure's first impressions of her great-uncle?
2. What happens to Frederick when he and Werner return to school after the holidays in Part Five: January 1941?
3. What thoughts consume Bermd, Volkheimer, and Werner in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
4. Where does Marie-Laure obtain the Sea of Flames from in Part Zero: 7 August, 1944? How is this object described?
5. What is Sergeant Major von Rumpel's new objective in Part Five: January 1941? Where does this objective lead him?
6. Where does Marie-Laure hear the legend of the Sea of Flames in Part One: 1934? Where was the Sea of Flames first discovered?
7. How does the author use metaphor to illustrate Sergeant Major von Rumpel's illness in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
8. What does the reader discover that Daniel LeBlanc is carrying with him in his flight from Paris in Part One: 1934? How is this revealed?
9. What do Marie-Laure and her father find when they reach Francois Giannot's house in Part Three: June 1940?
10. How does the narrator describe Marie-Laure's reaction to the bombing in Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)