|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What structure does Marie-Laure recall her father describing for her at the Pantheon in Paris in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
(a) The World Trade Center.
(b) Foucault's pendulum.
(c) The Eiffel Tower.
(d) Big Ben.
2. What does the legend of the Sea of Flames supposedly ensure for the owner of the gem?
3. How many cans of food does Marie-Laure find in the cellar in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
4. How old is Werner Pfennig when he is introduced in Chapter 4 of Part Zero: 7 August, 1944?
5. Who gives Sergeant Major Reinhold von Rumpel a tour of the gems and minerals in the Grand Gallery in Part Three: June 1940?
(a) Professor Hublin.
(b) Francois Giannot.
(d) Joseph Goebbels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date of the telegram that directs Daniel LeBlanc to return to Paris at the end of the month in Part Three?
2. How does Marie-Laure know that someone has entered the house in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
3. Where does the furniture lorry drop off Marie-Laure and her father in Part Three: June 1940?
4. The following is one of the quotes which opens the novel: "It would not have been possible for us to take power or to use it in the ways we have without the radio." Who is attributed to this quote?
5. What is the gemstone hidden inside of in Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Claude Levitte described in Part Three: June 1940? What is Claude Levitte's objective?
2. Where does Marie-Laure obtain the Sea of Flames from in Part Zero: 7 August, 1944? How is this object described?
3. How does the author use metaphor to illustrate Sergeant Major von Rumpel's illness in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
4. How is Frederick's home described in Part Five: January 1941? What prized object does Frederick show Werner at his home?
5. How does Madame Manec come to the decision to help the French Resistance in Part Five: January 1941?
6. What is Marie-Laure doing when the bombing begins in Chapter 3: "The Girl"?
7. What gifts does Marie-Laure's father begin giving her after she becomes blind in Part One: 1934?
8. Where does Marie-Laure go to seek shelter during the bombing in Part Two: 8 August, 1944? Why? What does she take with her?
9. What test does Werner undergo in Part Three: June 1940? What are the results of Werner's testing?
10. What does the reader discover that Daniel LeBlanc is carrying with him in his flight from Paris in Part One: 1934? How is this revealed?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)