|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are pouring from the sky in the first chapter of Part Zero: 7 August, 1944?
2. What is the gemstone hidden inside of in Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
(a) A model house.
(b) A porcelain doll.
(c) A sofa cushion.
(d) A pillow.
3. What does Werner use the rest of his money from Herr Siedler to purchase for the orphanage in Part Three: June 1940?
(a) A telephone.
(c) A phonograph player.
(d) A radio.
4. The following is one of the quotes which opens the novel: "It would not have been possible for us to take power or to use it in the ways we have without the radio." Who is attributed to this quote?
(a) Joseph Goebbels.
(b) Franklin Roosevelt.
(c) Herbert Hoover.
(d) Adolf Hitler.
5. What is the name of Werner's younger sister?
6. What is the name of the maid that dotes on Frederick during his visit home in Part Five: January 1941?
(a) Frau Elena.
7. How old is Etienne LeBlanc described as being in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
8. What is the English translation of "L'hotel des Abeilles"?
(a) The Hotel of Bees.
(b) The Hotel of Snow.
(c) The Hotel of Clouds.
(d) The Hotel of Saints.
9. What does the word "solicitous" mean as used in Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
10. How long ago does the narrator say that D-Day occurred in Chapter 5 of Part Zero: 7 August, 1944?
(a) 2 weeks ago.
(b) 4 months ago.
(c) 2 months ago.
(d) 3 days ago.
11. How many carats is the Sea of Flames said to be?
12. How many cans of food does Marie-Laure find in the cellar in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
13. Where does the furniture lorry drop off Marie-Laure and her father in Part Three: June 1940?
14. What is the date of the telegram that directs Daniel LeBlanc to return to Paris at the end of the month in Part Three?
(a) September 15, 1940.
(b) December 10, 1940.
(c) March 10, 1941.
(d) July 12, 1939.
15. Who answers the door at Marie-Laure's great-uncle's home when Marie-Laure and her father arrive in Part Three: June 1940?
(a) Claude Levitte.
(c) Madame Manec.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hacks at the rubble in the stairwell as Werner watches in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
2. What is the name of the coal mining complex where Werner Pfennig grows up?
3. How does Marie-Laure know that someone has entered the house in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
4. What does the word "corsair" mean as used in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
5. What does Etienne leave a trail of on the ground for Marie-Laure to find when he first meets her in Part Three: June 1940?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)