|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the furniture lorry drop off Marie-Laure and her father in Part Three: June 1940?
2. What are pouring from the sky in the first chapter of Part Zero: 7 August, 1944?
3. Who gives Sergeant Major Reinhold von Rumpel a tour of the gems and minerals in the Grand Gallery in Part Three: June 1940?
(a) Joseph Goebbels.
(c) Francois Giannot.
(d) Professor Hublin.
4. Who hacks at the rubble in the stairwell as Werner watches in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
5. What does Marie-Laure hold in her left fist as she hides during the air raid in Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
(a) The Sea of Flames.
(b) A flashlight.
(c) Her mother's diary.
(d) Her brother's notebook.
6. What animals is Frederick fascinated with in the novel?
7. What term from Part Five: January 1941 refers to a small bubble of gas or liquid enclosed in a mineral or rock?
8. What kind of gemstone is the Sea of Flames?
(a) A ruby.
(b) A blue diamond.
(c) A yellow diamond.
(d) An amethyst.
9. What is the address of the house that von Rumpel seeks out as he looks out over the devastation of the city in the beginning of Part Four: 8 August 1944?
(a) 4 rue Vauborel.
(b) 16 rue de la Crosse.
(c) 27 rue de Chartres.
(d) 33 rue de Esplanade.
10. What color are Werner's eyes determined to be by the inspectors at the school in Part Three: June 1940?
(a) Kelly green.
(b) Sky blue.
(d) Midnight blue.
11. What is the gemstone hidden inside of in Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A porcelain doll.
(c) A sofa cushion.
(d) A model house.
12. Where does Marie-Laure's father say he is now in his letter to her in Part Five: January 1941?
13. What is the English translation of "L'hotel des Abeilles"?
(a) The Hotel of Snow.
(b) The Hotel of Clouds.
(c) The Hotel of Bees.
(d) The Hotel of Saints.
14. How many bombers have already turned and climbed before the debris begins hitting the ground in Part Two: 8 August, 1944?
15. How many of the 865 buildings within the walls of Saint-Malo remained standing after the bombings in August of 1944, according to Philip Beck's quote which opens the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the directress of the orphanage where Werner grows up?
2. What does the legend of the Sea of Flames supposedly ensure for the owner of the gem?
3. What is the name of Werner's younger sister?
4. How old is Etienne LeBlanc described as being in Part Four: 8 August 1944?
5. Where does the museum curator say a prince plucked the Sea of Flames from a dry riverbed centuries ago in Part One: 1934?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)