|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, who has been staying at Scarpetta's house for several weeks?
2. Who is the person Scarpetta invites to visit her in the summer?
3. What is the name of the Central American dictator once on the CIA payroll?
4. What is Scarpetta's relationship with her rescuer who leads her to Wesley's house?
5. What mistake does Scarpetta think the killer made in the murder of Deborah Harvey?
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Scarpetta tells Marino she believes it's not the selection of the victims that's most important to the killer, it's the selection of the place. What does Scarpetta mean by that statement? Do you think her supposition is correct or not? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the following and answer the questions:
1 ) Compare and contrast how much information is revealed about the killer, Steven Spurrier, and how much is revealed about Pat Harvey. Based on the information you present, indicate how realistic it is that Spurrier is the serial killer and in turn is killed by Pat Harvey? Be sure to use concrete examples from the novel to support your answer.
2) Compare and contrast how the authorities in the book handled these serial killings.
How would you describe the actions of the authorities?
What do you think they did right? What would you criticize?
Overall, are you sympathetic or critical of the actions on the part of the various policing and governmental authorities? Why? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
Hilda Ozimek, the psychic, played a key role in this story. The following two part question addresses the nature of this character in the development of the story's plot. Be sure to support your answer using examples from the story.
a) How is Ozimek's character useful in moving the story forward?
b) Could the author have used another device or character with equal effectiveness?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)