|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was found in the back seat of Elizabeth Mott's car?
2. What is Scarpetta's relationship with her rescuer who leads her to Wesley's house?
3. What is the explanation Scarpetta suggests for the blood in the back seat of Elizabeth's car?
4. What was the relationship between Jill Harrington and Elizabeth Mott?
5. What is the name of the Central American dictator once on the CIA payroll?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of the meeting between Detective Montana, Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 13?
2. What's the significance of Jill Harrington not having any bills for a newspaper subscription?
3. What were some of the reasons Scarpetta does not believe it was a rogue CIA agent or a professional hit man that killed Deborah Harvey and Fred Cheney?
4. Describe Mr. Joyce and his relationship to Dammit.
5. How does Mr. Joyce describe the car that he saw on his road a few days before a teen couple disappeared?
6. Why is it significant that Aranoff is not the man that approached Scarpetta and Abby that evening at the restaurant?
7. What does Scarpetta learn about Deborah Harvey's father from an article in the Washington Post?
8. Why aren't the results from the serology reports for Spurrier and the blood found in Elizabeth Mott's car considered conclusive?
9. Describe what the authorities find in Spurrier's bookcases and living room in Chapter 17.
10. What's the sequence of events that Marino thinks led to the murders of Spurrier and Abby Turnbull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another theme that plays throughout the book is that of betrayal and the havoc it wreaks on different individuals. Select two of the following characters and explain how betrayal impacted their lives and shaped their decisions:
Essay Topic 2
Each character below had a feeling of incompetence that led to frustration and anger. Indicate what steps the character took to overcome their feelings. Be sure to use examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Discuss the multiple issues the FBI was balancing while investigating The Couple Killings and the impact of those issues on the investigation.
2) Abby Turnbull and Pat Harvey share information with each other on a regular basis. Do you think this was a reasonable thing for Abby to do? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3) Pat Harvey was convinced Steven Spurrier murdered her daughter and that Spurrier would never be convicted. Ms. Harvey decided to take matters into her own hands. What do you think of Pat Harvey's decision and should her actions have been foreseen by the police and FBI? Use examples from the book to explain your answer.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)