|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Joyce?
2. Who is the owner of The Dealer's Room?
3. What does Dammit have in common with Bonnie Smyth and Jim Freeman?
4. What was the relationship between Jill Harrington and Elizabeth Mott?
5. What medical condition does Scarpetta learn Steven Spurrier suffered from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abby find it hard to believe the murders of Harrington and Mott are connected to the Couple Killings?
2. Why is it significant that Aranoff is not the man that approached Scarpetta and Abby that evening at the restaurant?
3. What were some of the reasons Scarpetta does not believe it was a rogue CIA agent or a professional hit man that killed Deborah Harvey and Fred Cheney?
4. Why doesn't Marino think Abby talked with anyone at the Post about the Couple Killings?
5. What are some psychological factors Wesley shares with Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 16 about the serial killer in the Couple Killings?
6. Why did Camp Peary come under suspicion soon after the Couple Killings started?
7. Describe Mr. Joyce and his relationship to Dammit.
8. What's the connection between Scarpetta and Anna Zenner and Jill Harrington?
9. What does the use of the Hydra-Shok bullet suggest to Scarpetta about the killer and the investigation?
10. Describe Scarpetta's reactions to seeing Mark James.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot significance of Pat Harvey's job as "drug czar." Be sure to touch on the FBI, the Justice Department, the CIA, the questionable charities, the investigation of The Couple Killings.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the similarities and differences between Pat Harvey and Kay Scarpetta in terms of their careers, the choices in their personal lives, and their style of dealing with others. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, it makes sense that an FBI profiler would seek out the expertise of a psychic. Compare and contrast how the work of Benton Wesley and Hilda Ozimek. Whose work do you think is more important to the solving of The Couple Killings and why? Support your conclusion with examples from the book.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)