|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abby Turnbull tell Scarpetta to do after dinner when they are approached in the restaurant parking lot by a stranger?
2. What happened to Henna?
3. What is Scarpetta's relationship with her rescuer who leads her to Wesley's house?
4. Who else is killed at Steven Spurrier's home?
5. Who rescues Scarpetta when she gets lost looking for Wesley's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the importance of Spurrier's aplastic anemia.
2. What's the significance of Jill Harrington not having any bills for a newspaper subscription?
3. How does Mr. Joyce describe the car that he saw on his road a few days before a teen couple disappeared?
4. What's the connection between Scarpetta and Anna Zenner and Jill Harrington?
5. What are some reasons Scarpetta is convinced there's a link between Dammit and the Couple Killings?
6. What does the use of the Hydra-Shok bullet suggest to Scarpetta about the killer and the investigation?
7. Why does Abby find it hard to believe the murders of Harrington and Mott are connected to the Couple Killings?
8. Why doesn't Marino think Abby talked with anyone at the Post about the Couple Killings?
9. What are some psychological factors Wesley shares with Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 16 about the serial killer in the Couple Killings?
10. What do Scarpetta and Marino discover in Chapter 14 about the cemetery where the bodies of Mott and Harrington were found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how each of the following incidental characters moved the plot along. Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Dammit the dog
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, it makes sense that an FBI profiler would seek out the expertise of a psychic. Compare and contrast how the work of Benton Wesley and Hilda Ozimek. Whose work do you think is more important to the solving of The Couple Killings and why? Support your conclusion with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Below are three examples of a character or piece of information presented in the story that ultimately proved unimportant in solving the crime. With each example, explain what purpose you think the author had in mind by introducing these elements into the story.
Pete Marino's wife
Scarpetta's niece, Lucy
Deborah Harvey's breast-reduction operation
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)