|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When interviewed, what does Mr. Joyce remember seeing on a July night when he went to his mailbox?
2. What happened to Henna?
3. After Scarpetta alerts the FBI of what she saw in The Dealer's Room, how does the FBI respond?
4. What is similar in the murders of Jill Harrington and Elizabeth Mott to the murders of Deborah Harvey and Fred Cheney?
5. In Chapter 10, who does Scarpetta suspect might be the serial killer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some psychological factors Wesley shares with Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 16 about the serial killer in the Couple Killings?
2. Why does Abby find it hard to believe the murders of Harrington and Mott are connected to the Couple Killings?
3. What is the result of the meeting between Detective Montana, Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 13?
4. Describe what the authorities find in Spurrier's bookcases and living room in Chapter 17.
5. Why does Scarpetta send Abby Turnbull to check out Barry Aranoff?
6. What were some of the reasons Scarpetta does not believe it was a rogue CIA agent or a professional hit man that killed Deborah Harvey and Fred Cheney?
7. Why doesn't Marino think Abby talked with anyone at the Post about the Couple Killings?
8. What's the significance of Jill Harrington not having any bills for a newspaper subscription?
9. What does Scarpetta learn about Deborah Harvey's father from an article in the Washington Post?
10. In Chapter 16, what do Scarpetta and Marino learn about Steven Spurrier, the man that approached Scarpetta and Abby in the Williamsburg Restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Discuss the multiple issues the FBI was balancing while investigating The Couple Killings and the impact of those issues on the investigation.
2) Abby Turnbull and Pat Harvey share information with each other on a regular basis. Do you think this was a reasonable thing for Abby to do? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3) Pat Harvey was convinced Steven Spurrier murdered her daughter and that Spurrier would never be convicted. Ms. Harvey decided to take matters into her own hands. What do you think of Pat Harvey's decision and should her actions have been foreseen by the police and FBI? Use examples from the book to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, it makes sense that an FBI profiler would seek out the expertise of a psychic. Compare and contrast how the work of Benton Wesley and Hilda Ozimek. Whose work do you think is more important to the solving of The Couple Killings and why? Support your conclusion with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
All of the evidence gathered in the search of Steven Spurrier's was considered circumstantial. In fact, there was no conclusive evidence that ever linked Spurrier directly to The Couple Murders. Do you agree or disagree with Scarpetta, Wesley and others that Spurrier was the serial killer? What information from the book would you point to to support your conclusion. Be specific.
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)