|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who killed Steven Spurrier?
2. Who rescues Scarpetta when she gets lost looking for Wesley's house?
3. Who is Anna Zenner?
4. After Steven Spurrier's house is searched, what do Marino and Scarpetta surmise the killer does to the victims' cars?
5. What does Abby Turnbull tell Scarpetta to do after dinner when they are approached in the restaurant parking lot by a stranger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Scarpetta and Marino discover in Chapter 14 about the cemetery where the bodies of Mott and Harrington were found?
2. Why does Abby find it hard to believe the murders of Harrington and Mott are connected to the Couple Killings?
3. Why aren't the results from the serology reports for Spurrier and the blood found in Elizabeth Mott's car considered conclusive?
4. Why does Scarpetta send Abby Turnbull to check out Barry Aranoff?
5. What are some psychological factors Wesley shares with Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 16 about the serial killer in the Couple Killings?
6. What does the use of the Hydra-Shok bullet suggest to Scarpetta about the killer and the investigation?
7. In Chapter 16, what do Scarpetta and Marino learn about Steven Spurrier, the man that approached Scarpetta and Abby in the Williamsburg Restaurant?
8. Why did Camp Peary come under suspicion soon after the Couple Killings started?
9. Describe Mr. Joyce and his relationship to Dammit.
10. After the meeting with Mr. Joyce, what does Scarpetta reason about the killer that leads her to the next step in her investigation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another theme that plays throughout the book is that of betrayal and the havoc it wreaks on different individuals. Select two of the following characters and explain how betrayal impacted their lives and shaped their decisions:
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot significance of Pat Harvey's job as "drug czar." Be sure to touch on the FBI, the Justice Department, the CIA, the questionable charities, the investigation of The Couple Killings.
Essay Topic 3
Each character below had a feeling of incompetence that led to frustration and anger. Indicate what steps the character took to overcome their feelings. Be sure to use examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)