|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Scarpetta and Marino learn about The Dealer's Room in Chapter 16?
2. What item does Benton Wesley tell Scarpetta that Spurrier purchased through a catalog?
3. After Steven Spurrier's house is searched, what do Marino and Scarpetta surmise the killer does to the victims' cars?
4. How does Scarpetta know Anna Zenner?
5. Where did Jill Harrington go almost every week her third year in law school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Joyce describe the car that he saw on his road a few days before a teen couple disappeared?
2. Why does Scarpetta send Abby Turnbull to check out Barry Aranoff?
3. Why does Abby find it hard to believe the murders of Harrington and Mott are connected to the Couple Killings?
4. What does Scarpetta learn about Deborah Harvey's father from an article in the Washington Post?
5. What were some of the reasons Scarpetta does not believe it was a rogue CIA agent or a professional hit man that killed Deborah Harvey and Fred Cheney?
6. What are some psychological factors Wesley shares with Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 16 about the serial killer in the Couple Killings?
7. Describe what the authorities find in Spurrier's bookcases and living room in Chapter 17.
8. Why is it significant that Aranoff is not the man that approached Scarpetta and Abby that evening at the restaurant?
9. After the meeting with Mr. Joyce, what does Scarpetta reason about the killer that leads her to the next step in her investigation?
10. What is the result of the meeting between Detective Montana, Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another theme that plays throughout the book is that of betrayal and the havoc it wreaks on different individuals. Select two of the following characters and explain how betrayal impacted their lives and shaped their decisions:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the similarities and differences between Pat Harvey and Kay Scarpetta in terms of their careers, the choices in their personal lives, and their style of dealing with others. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the book, Benton Wesley discusses what he thinks are the psycho-sexual urges that motivated Steven Spurrier to kill. Explain how the contents as well as the condition of Spurrier's home supports or undermines Wesley's conclusions about Spurrier. Be specific.
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)