|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who does Scarpetta suspect might be the serial killer?
2. What does Scarpetta suspect is of greatest importance to the serial killer?
3. What does Pat Harvey learn about her husband from an article in the Washington Post?
4. After Scarpetta alerts the FBI of what she saw in The Dealer's Room, how does the FBI respond?
5. What does Marino learn from the owner of the 1990 Lincoln Mark Seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the importance of Spurrier's aplastic anemia.
2. What's the sequence of events that Marino thinks led to the murders of Spurrier and Abby Turnbull?
3. In Chapter 12, why does Scarpetta decide to call Abby Turnbull about the murders of Jill Harington and Elizabeth Mott?
4. Describe Mr. Joyce and his relationship to Dammit.
5. What does Scarpetta learn about Deborah Harvey's father from an article in the Washington Post?
6. Why doesn't Marino think Abby talked with anyone at the Post about the Couple Killings?
7. What are some psychological factors Wesley shares with Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 16 about the serial killer in the Couple Killings?
8. Describe what the authorities find in Spurrier's bookcases and living room in Chapter 17.
9. What's the significance of Jill Harrington not having any bills for a newspaper subscription?
10. In Chapter 16, what do Scarpetta and Marino learn about Steven Spurrier, the man that approached Scarpetta and Abby in the Williamsburg Restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Below are three examples of a character or piece of information presented in the story that ultimately proved unimportant in solving the crime. With each example, explain what purpose you think the author had in mind by introducing these elements into the story.
Pete Marino's wife
Scarpetta's niece, Lucy
Deborah Harvey's breast-reduction operation
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the following and answer the questions:
1 ) Compare and contrast how much information is revealed about the killer, Steven Spurrier, and how much is revealed about Pat Harvey. Based on the information you present, indicate how realistic it is that Spurrier is the serial killer and in turn is killed by Pat Harvey? Be sure to use concrete examples from the novel to support your answer.
2) Compare and contrast how the authorities in the book handled these serial killings.
How would you describe the actions of the authorities?
What do you think they did right? What would you criticize?
Overall, are you sympathetic or critical of the actions on the part of the various policing and governmental authorities? Why? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot significance of Pat Harvey's job as "drug czar." Be sure to touch on the FBI, the Justice Department, the CIA, the questionable charities, the investigation of The Couple Killings.
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)