|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the national magazine that runs a feature story on Pat Harvey and her murdered daughter?
2. Why is Mr. Joyce interviewed by Marino and Scarpetta?
3. Who is Mad Dog Mama?
4. Who killed Steven Spurrier?
5. What is the explanation Scarpetta suggests for the blood in the back seat of Elizabeth's car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What's the significance of Jill Harrington not having any bills for a newspaper subscription?
2. What's the sequence of events that Marino thinks led to the murders of Spurrier and Abby Turnbull?
3. What do Scarpetta and Marino discover in Chapter 14 about the cemetery where the bodies of Mott and Harrington were found?
4. Describe Mr. Joyce and his relationship to Dammit.
5. After the meeting with Mr. Joyce, what does Scarpetta reason about the killer that leads her to the next step in her investigation?
6. What were some of the reasons Scarpetta does not believe it was a rogue CIA agent or a professional hit man that killed Deborah Harvey and Fred Cheney?
7. What are some reasons Scarpetta is convinced there's a link between Dammit and the Couple Killings?
8. Describe Scarpetta's reactions to seeing Mark James.
9. Why does Abby find it hard to believe the murders of Harrington and Mott are connected to the Couple Killings?
10. What is the result of the meeting between Detective Montana, Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another theme that plays throughout the book is that of betrayal and the havoc it wreaks on different individuals. Select two of the following characters and explain how betrayal impacted their lives and shaped their decisions:
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of the book, Benton Wesley discusses what he thinks are the psycho-sexual urges that motivated Steven Spurrier to kill. Explain how the contents as well as the condition of Spurrier's home supports or undermines Wesley's conclusions about Spurrier. Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot significance of Pat Harvey's job as "drug czar." Be sure to touch on the FBI, the Justice Department, the CIA, the questionable charities, the investigation of The Couple Killings.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)