|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mad Dog Mama?
2. What does Scarpetta notice lying by a chair in a photo of Jill Harrington's apartment?
3. What is The Dealer's Room?
4. What was found in the back seat of Elizabeth Mott's car?
5. Who is the owner of The Dealer's Room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Scarpetta and Marino discover in Chapter 14 about the cemetery where the bodies of Mott and Harrington were found?
2. What were some of the reasons Scarpetta does not believe it was a rogue CIA agent or a professional hit man that killed Deborah Harvey and Fred Cheney?
3. How does Mr. Joyce describe the car that he saw on his road a few days before a teen couple disappeared?
4. What's the sequence of events that Marino thinks led to the murders of Spurrier and Abby Turnbull?
5. Why did Camp Peary come under suspicion soon after the Couple Killings started?
6. Describe Scarpetta's reactions to seeing Mark James.
7. After the meeting with Mr. Joyce, what does Scarpetta reason about the killer that leads her to the next step in her investigation?
8. Why does Abby find it hard to believe the murders of Harrington and Mott are connected to the Couple Killings?
9. Why doesn't Marino think Abby talked with anyone at the Post about the Couple Killings?
10. What does the use of the Hydra-Shok bullet suggest to Scarpetta about the killer and the investigation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sometimes a person's greatest strength can also be their downfall. With each of the following characters, describe what you believe was the person's strength and how that same attribute contributed to his or her demise.
Essay Topic 2
The issue of control is another dominant theme in this story. Select one of the following characters and describe how the issue of control played as both a positive and a negative influence in the character's decisions.
Essay Topic 3
Select one of the following and answer the questions:
1 ) Compare and contrast how much information is revealed about the killer, Steven Spurrier, and how much is revealed about Pat Harvey. Based on the information you present, indicate how realistic it is that Spurrier is the serial killer and in turn is killed by Pat Harvey? Be sure to use concrete examples from the novel to support your answer.
2) Compare and contrast how the authorities in the book handled these serial killings.
How would you describe the actions of the authorities?
What do you think they did right? What would you criticize?
Overall, are you sympathetic or critical of the actions on the part of the various policing and governmental authorities? Why? Be specific.
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)