|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is located at Quantico, Virginia?
2. Who is Mad Dog Mama?
3. What medical condition does Scarpetta learn Steven Spurrier suffered from?
4. What was found in cemetery where the bodies of Elizabeth Mott and Jill Harrington are discovered?
5. Where is Elizabeth Mott's abandoned car found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some reasons Scarpetta is convinced there's a link between Dammit and the Couple Killings?
2. Why is it significant that Aranoff is not the man that approached Scarpetta and Abby that evening at the restaurant?
3. What is the result of the meeting between Detective Montana, Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 13?
4. Explain the importance of Spurrier's aplastic anemia.
5. Why does Scarpetta send Abby Turnbull to check out Barry Aranoff?
6. Describe what the authorities find in Spurrier's bookcases and living room in Chapter 17.
7. In Chapter 12, why does Scarpetta decide to call Abby Turnbull about the murders of Jill Harington and Elizabeth Mott?
8. After the meeting with Mr. Joyce, what does Scarpetta reason about the killer that leads her to the next step in her investigation?
9. Describe Mr. Joyce and his relationship to Dammit.
10. Why doesn't Marino think Abby talked with anyone at the Post about the Couple Killings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the evidence gathered in the search of Steven Spurrier's was considered circumstantial. In fact, there was no conclusive evidence that ever linked Spurrier directly to The Couple Murders. Do you agree or disagree with Scarpetta, Wesley and others that Spurrier was the serial killer? What information from the book would you point to to support your conclusion. Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Hilda Ozimek, the psychic, played a key role in this story. The following two part question addresses the nature of this character in the development of the story's plot. Be sure to support your answer using examples from the story.
a) How is Ozimek's character useful in moving the story forward?
b) Could the author have used another device or character with equal effectiveness?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the similarities and differences between Pat Harvey and Kay Scarpetta in terms of their careers, the choices in their personal lives, and their style of dealing with others. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)