|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Scarpetta know Anna Zenner?
2. Why do the police search Scarpetta's house after Steven Spurrier is killed?
3. Who killed Steven Spurrier?
4. Why are Scarpetta and Marino interested in a possible gym bag?
5. When interviewed, what does Mr. Joyce remember seeing on a July night when he went to his mailbox?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what do Scarpetta and Marino learn about Steven Spurrier, the man that approached Scarpetta and Abby in the Williamsburg Restaurant?
2. What does Scarpetta learn about Deborah Harvey's father from an article in the Washington Post?
3. Why does Scarpetta send Abby Turnbull to check out Barry Aranoff?
4. How does Mr. Joyce describe the car that he saw on his road a few days before a teen couple disappeared?
5. Why doesn't Marino think Abby talked with anyone at the Post about the Couple Killings?
6. What does the use of the Hydra-Shok bullet suggest to Scarpetta about the killer and the investigation?
7. What's the connection between Scarpetta and Anna Zenner and Jill Harrington?
8. Why does Abby find it hard to believe the murders of Harrington and Mott are connected to the Couple Killings?
9. Describe Scarpetta's reactions to seeing Mark James.
10. What are some psychological factors Wesley shares with Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 16 about the serial killer in the Couple Killings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the evidence gathered in the search of Steven Spurrier's was considered circumstantial. In fact, there was no conclusive evidence that ever linked Spurrier directly to The Couple Murders. Do you agree or disagree with Scarpetta, Wesley and others that Spurrier was the serial killer? What information from the book would you point to to support your conclusion. Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, it makes sense that an FBI profiler would seek out the expertise of a psychic. Compare and contrast how the work of Benton Wesley and Hilda Ozimek. Whose work do you think is more important to the solving of The Couple Killings and why? Support your conclusion with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the book, Benton Wesley discusses what he thinks are the psycho-sexual urges that motivated Steven Spurrier to kill. Explain how the contents as well as the condition of Spurrier's home supports or undermines Wesley's conclusions about Spurrier. Be specific.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)