|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Steven Spurrier arrested?
2. What mistake does Scarpetta think the killer made in the murder of Deborah Harvey?
3. What does Scarpetta notice lying by a chair in a photo of Jill Harrington's apartment?
4. In Chapter 12, why does Scarpetta meet Abby Turnbull for dinner at a Williamsburg restaurant?
5. What prescription medication was found in Jill Harrington's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What's the sequence of events that Marino thinks led to the murders of Spurrier and Abby Turnbull?
2. What's the significance of Jill Harrington not having any bills for a newspaper subscription?
3. In Chapter 16, what do Scarpetta and Marino learn about Steven Spurrier, the man that approached Scarpetta and Abby in the Williamsburg Restaurant?
4. Why doesn't Marino think Abby talked with anyone at the Post about the Couple Killings?
5. Describe Scarpetta's reactions to seeing Mark James.
6. What is the result of the meeting between Detective Montana, Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 13?
7. Explain the importance of Spurrier's aplastic anemia.
8. What do Scarpetta and Marino discover in Chapter 14 about the cemetery where the bodies of Mott and Harrington were found?
9. Why does Scarpetta send Abby Turnbull to check out Barry Aranoff?
10. What were some of the reasons Scarpetta does not believe it was a rogue CIA agent or a professional hit man that killed Deborah Harvey and Fred Cheney?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each character below had a feeling of incompetence that led to frustration and anger. Indicate what steps the character took to overcome their feelings. Be sure to use examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the similarities and differences between Pat Harvey and Kay Scarpetta in terms of their careers, the choices in their personal lives, and their style of dealing with others. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Discuss the multiple issues the FBI was balancing while investigating The Couple Killings and the impact of those issues on the investigation.
2) Abby Turnbull and Pat Harvey share information with each other on a regular basis. Do you think this was a reasonable thing for Abby to do? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3) Pat Harvey was convinced Steven Spurrier murdered her daughter and that Spurrier would never be convicted. Ms. Harvey decided to take matters into her own hands. What do you think of Pat Harvey's decision and should her actions have been foreseen by the police and FBI? Use examples from the book to explain your answer.
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)