|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the last place Elizabeth Mott and Jill Harrington were seen together?
2. After Scarpetta alerts the FBI of what she saw in The Dealer's Room, how does the FBI respond?
3. What item does Benton Wesley tell Scarpetta that Spurrier purchased through a catalog?
4. What does Abby Turnbull tell Scarpetta to do after dinner when they are approached in the restaurant parking lot by a stranger?
5. What mistake does Scarpetta think the killer made years before he murdered Deborah and Fred?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some psychological factors Wesley shares with Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 16 about the serial killer in the Couple Killings?
2. Why did Camp Peary come under suspicion soon after the Couple Killings started?
3. Why does Scarpetta send Abby Turnbull to check out Barry Aranoff?
4. In Chapter 16, what do Scarpetta and Marino learn about Steven Spurrier, the man that approached Scarpetta and Abby in the Williamsburg Restaurant?
5. What do Scarpetta and Marino discover in Chapter 14 about the cemetery where the bodies of Mott and Harrington were found?
6. What's the connection between Scarpetta and Anna Zenner and Jill Harrington?
7. What were some of the reasons Scarpetta does not believe it was a rogue CIA agent or a professional hit man that killed Deborah Harvey and Fred Cheney?
8. After the meeting with Mr. Joyce, what does Scarpetta reason about the killer that leads her to the next step in her investigation?
9. Why is it significant that Aranoff is not the man that approached Scarpetta and Abby that evening at the restaurant?
10. Describe what the authorities find in Spurrier's bookcases and living room in Chapter 17.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Discuss the multiple issues the FBI was balancing while investigating The Couple Killings and the impact of those issues on the investigation.
2) Abby Turnbull and Pat Harvey share information with each other on a regular basis. Do you think this was a reasonable thing for Abby to do? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3) Pat Harvey was convinced Steven Spurrier murdered her daughter and that Spurrier would never be convicted. Ms. Harvey decided to take matters into her own hands. What do you think of Pat Harvey's decision and should her actions have been foreseen by the police and FBI? Use examples from the book to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Manipulating public sentiment is another element in this story, illustrated by Pat Harvey's use of the press. But this can be a move that has serious consequences. What are the dangers of denouncing government agencies publicly? Was Pat Harvey right to go to the press with her accusations? If you were an ordinary citizen, would you have believed Harvey's conspiracy theories? Be sure to fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how each of the following pieces of information assisted in the development of either the plot or the characters in this story. Be specific in describing how you came to your conclusions.
Pat Harvey's husband having an affair
Pat Harvey's dislike of Fred Cheney
The mutual dislike between Pete Marino and Abby Turnbull
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)