|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is nicknamed the "drug czar" by the media?
2. What was found in an ice chest at the crime scene?
3. What does Pat Harvey threaten to do if Scarpetta doesn't give her what she asked for?
4. What personal item of one of the missing teens was found at the crime scene?
5. What was found in the other abandoned cars, but missing from Deborah's Jeep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat Harvey believe about her daughter's death?
2. How does Ozimek describe her impressions of Marino's wife?
3. Describe the appearance of the bodies of Harvey and Cheney at the murder scene.
4. Describe Hilda Ozimek.
5. In Chapter 2, why does Pat Harvey question Scarpetta about the murder of the other couples?
6. Discuss why Scarpetta and Marino feel in Chapter 3 as if they've been "handled" by Benton Wesley.
7. Why is Scarpetta reluctant to say Deborah Harvey was killed by a shot in the back?
8. How does Ozimek describe a mysterious man she "sees" in the pictures of the woods where Harvey and Cheney were murdered?
9. Explain the difference if a cut is found on the top of a hand or on the palms.
10. How does Scarpetta's Italian background influence some of her decisions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Discuss the multiple issues the FBI was balancing while investigating The Couple Killings and the impact of those issues on the investigation.
2) Abby Turnbull and Pat Harvey share information with each other on a regular basis. Do you think this was a reasonable thing for Abby to do? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3) Pat Harvey was convinced Steven Spurrier murdered her daughter and that Spurrier would never be convicted. Ms. Harvey decided to take matters into her own hands. What do you think of Pat Harvey's decision and should her actions have been foreseen by the police and FBI? Use examples from the book to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Another theme that plays throughout the book is that of betrayal and the havoc it wreaks on different individuals. Select two of the following characters and explain how betrayal impacted their lives and shaped their decisions:
Essay Topic 3
Select one of the following and answer the questions:
1 ) Compare and contrast how much information is revealed about the killer, Steven Spurrier, and how much is revealed about Pat Harvey. Based on the information you present, indicate how realistic it is that Spurrier is the serial killer and in turn is killed by Pat Harvey? Be sure to use concrete examples from the novel to support your answer.
2) Compare and contrast how the authorities in the book handled these serial killings.
How would you describe the actions of the authorities?
What do you think they did right? What would you criticize?
Overall, are you sympathetic or critical of the actions on the part of the various policing and governmental authorities? Why? Be specific.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)