|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, who is it that Benton Wesley is concerned Scarpetta might have recently seen?
2. Why does Scarpetta take the bones of Fred and Deborah to Washington, DC?
3. As Chapter 2 opens, Kay Scarpetta is invited to lunch by whom?
4. What holiday weekend is being observed when the story opens?
5. Which missing teen's mother is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What's stressful for Scarpetta in dealing with parents?
2. How does Abby find out about the Seven-Eleven and what does it show?
3. In what condition does Scarpetta find Abby Turnbull when she goes to her apartment?
4. Why does Scarpetta struggle over spending time with Abby Turnbull in Chapter 3?
5. Explain the difference if a cut is found on the top of a hand or on the palms.
6. Explain Wesley's reasons for not keeping Scarpetta informed.
7. As Chapter 1 opens, what is Scarpetta's perspective on working with other police agencies involved in VICAP?
8. What is the problem with the cartridge casing Scarpetta finds at the Cheney-Harvey murder scene?
9. Why does Scarpetta feel betrayed by Abby Turnbull in Chapter 4?
10. Describe Hilda Ozimek.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one of the following and answer the questions:
1 ) Compare and contrast how much information is revealed about the killer, Steven Spurrier, and how much is revealed about Pat Harvey. Based on the information you present, indicate how realistic it is that Spurrier is the serial killer and in turn is killed by Pat Harvey? Be sure to use concrete examples from the novel to support your answer.
2) Compare and contrast how the authorities in the book handled these serial killings.
How would you describe the actions of the authorities?
What do you think they did right? What would you criticize?
Overall, are you sympathetic or critical of the actions on the part of the various policing and governmental authorities? Why? Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Discuss the multiple issues the FBI was balancing while investigating The Couple Killings and the impact of those issues on the investigation.
2) Abby Turnbull and Pat Harvey share information with each other on a regular basis. Do you think this was a reasonable thing for Abby to do? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3) Pat Harvey was convinced Steven Spurrier murdered her daughter and that Spurrier would never be convicted. Ms. Harvey decided to take matters into her own hands. What do you think of Pat Harvey's decision and should her actions have been foreseen by the police and FBI? Use examples from the book to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes a person's greatest strength can also be their downfall. With each of the following characters, describe what you believe was the person's strength and how that same attribute contributed to his or her demise.
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)