|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main character's occupation?
2. Who else knew what Jay Morrell did?
3. What does Pete Marino think about Scarpetta's friend, Abby Turnbull?
4. What charity organization does Pat Harvey suspect is front for drug trafficking?
5. What holiday weekend is being observed when the story opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Linda, the firearms expert who works with Scarpetta.
2. Explain Wesley's reasons for not keeping Scarpetta informed.
3. Discuss why Scarpetta and Marino feel in Chapter 3 as if they've been "handled" by Benton Wesley.
4. Why does Scarpetta feel betrayed by Abby Turnbull in Chapter 4?
5. What is the problem with the cartridge casing Scarpetta finds at the Cheney-Harvey murder scene?
6. Why does Scarpetta struggle over spending time with Abby Turnbull in Chapter 3?
7. How does Ozimek explain what she does?
8. How does Ozimek describe her impressions of Marino's wife?
9. How does Scarpetta's Italian background influence some of her decisions?
10. Why was Pat Harvey professionally interested in the Couple Killings long before her daughter was murdered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Manipulating public sentiment is another element in this story, illustrated by Pat Harvey's use of the press. But this can be a move that has serious consequences. What are the dangers of denouncing government agencies publicly? Was Pat Harvey right to go to the press with her accusations? If you were an ordinary citizen, would you have believed Harvey's conspiracy theories? Be sure to fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how each of the following pieces of information assisted in the development of either the plot or the characters in this story. Be specific in describing how you came to your conclusions.
Pat Harvey's husband having an affair
Pat Harvey's dislike of Fred Cheney
The mutual dislike between Pete Marino and Abby Turnbull
Essay Topic 3
Select one of the following and answer the questions:
1 ) Compare and contrast how much information is revealed about the killer, Steven Spurrier, and how much is revealed about Pat Harvey. Based on the information you present, indicate how realistic it is that Spurrier is the serial killer and in turn is killed by Pat Harvey? Be sure to use concrete examples from the novel to support your answer.
2) Compare and contrast how the authorities in the book handled these serial killings.
How would you describe the actions of the authorities?
What do you think they did right? What would you criticize?
Overall, are you sympathetic or critical of the actions on the part of the various policing and governmental authorities? Why? Be specific.
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)