|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pat Harvey shows Hilda a picture of Fred Cheney, what does Hilda immediately know?
2. What happens when Scarpetta speaks to her lover on the phone?
3. What were the names of the two teenagers reported missing?
4. Who else knew what Jay Morrell did?
5. What town in South Carolina are Scarpetta and Marino looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marino think the killer did to get Fred to go into the woods without resistance?
2. Describe Scarpetta's reaction to the newspaper headlines after the abandoned Jeep was found.
3. Describe how Pat Harvey might be feeling when she first arrives at the rest stop where her daughter's abandoned Jeep has been found.
4. Why does Scarpetta think her personal competence as the chief medical examiner is being called into question?
5. Why does Scarpetta dread having lunch with Pat Harvey?
6. How does Ozimek describe her impressions of Marino's wife?
7. Describe Hilda Ozimek.
8. What is the problem with the cartridge casing Scarpetta finds at the Cheney-Harvey murder scene?
9. As Chapter 1 opens, what is Scarpetta's perspective on working with other police agencies involved in VICAP?
10. Explain the difference if a cut is found on the top of a hand or on the palms.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the differences and similarities between Pat Harvey and Abby Turnbull. How do these characteristics contribute to the success of each woman? The ultimate demise of each woman? Be sure to offer specific examples from the book to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the following and answer the questions:
1 ) Compare and contrast how much information is revealed about the killer, Steven Spurrier, and how much is revealed about Pat Harvey. Based on the information you present, indicate how realistic it is that Spurrier is the serial killer and in turn is killed by Pat Harvey? Be sure to use concrete examples from the novel to support your answer.
2) Compare and contrast how the authorities in the book handled these serial killings.
How would you describe the actions of the authorities?
What do you think they did right? What would you criticize?
Overall, are you sympathetic or critical of the actions on the part of the various policing and governmental authorities? Why? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how each of the following pieces of information assisted in the development of either the plot or the characters in this story. Be specific in describing how you came to your conclusions.
Pat Harvey's husband having an affair
Pat Harvey's dislike of Fred Cheney
The mutual dislike between Pete Marino and Abby Turnbull
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)