|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hilda describe an object still at the site where Deborah and Fred were found?
2. What does Jay Morrell confess to Marino?
3. What does Hilda tell Scarpetta she can see around people?
4. What holiday weekend is being observed when the story opens?
5. What do Marino and Scarpetta find where Deborah was shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pat Harvey exert her influence to get a copy of the autopsy report of her daughter?
2. As Chapter 1 opens, what is Scarpetta's perspective on working with other police agencies involved in VICAP?
3. What is the significance of Pat Harvey's political connections on the investigation of her daughter's disappearance?
4. Discuss why Scarpetta and Marino feel in Chapter 3 as if they've been "handled" by Benton Wesley.
5. Explain the significance of the jack of hearts.
6. How does Ozimek describe her impressions of Marino's wife?
7. Why is a politically inspired kidnapping such a disturbing possibility?
8. Explain Wesley's reasons for not keeping Scarpetta informed.
9. Describe the appearance of the bodies of Harvey and Cheney at the murder scene.
10. Describe Hilda Ozimek.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Discuss the multiple issues the FBI was balancing while investigating The Couple Killings and the impact of those issues on the investigation.
2) Abby Turnbull and Pat Harvey share information with each other on a regular basis. Do you think this was a reasonable thing for Abby to do? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3) Pat Harvey was convinced Steven Spurrier murdered her daughter and that Spurrier would never be convicted. Ms. Harvey decided to take matters into her own hands. What do you think of Pat Harvey's decision and should her actions have been foreseen by the police and FBI? Use examples from the book to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Hilda Ozimek, the psychic, played a key role in this story. The following two part question addresses the nature of this character in the development of the story's plot. Be sure to support your answer using examples from the story.
a) How is Ozimek's character useful in moving the story forward?
b) Could the author have used another device or character with equal effectiveness?
Essay Topic 3
All of the evidence gathered in the search of Steven Spurrier's was considered circumstantial. In fact, there was no conclusive evidence that ever linked Spurrier directly to The Couple Murders. Do you agree or disagree with Scarpetta, Wesley and others that Spurrier was the serial killer? What information from the book would you point to to support your conclusion. Be specific.
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)