|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Scarpetta at home in the evening on the day Fred and Deborah's bodies were found?
2. Which missing teen's mother is dead?
3. What was found near the bodies of Deborah and Fred that was also found near the bodies of the other murdered teen couples?
4. What was found in the other abandoned cars, but missing from Deborah's Jeep?
5. What object belonging to Deborah was handled by the person that gave her directions to the rest stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Pat Harvey's political connections on the investigation of her daughter's disappearance?
2. What information is Scarpetta after when she meets Wesley for lunch in Chapter 9?
3. Describe Hilda Ozimek.
4. Why does Scarpetta think her personal competence as the chief medical examiner is being called into question?
5. How does Pat Harvey exert her influence to get a copy of the autopsy report of her daughter?
6. Why does Scarpetta struggle over spending time with Abby Turnbull in Chapter 3?
7. Why is Scarpetta concerned about the bodies of Cheney and Harvey being moved?
8. Explain the difference if a cut is found on the top of a hand or on the palms.
9. What's stressful for Scarpetta in dealing with parents?
10. Why was Pat Harvey professionally interested in the Couple Killings long before her daughter was murdered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parent-child relationships are complex and sometimes difficult. Below are characters whose relationship with a parent is mentioned in the story. Explain the significance of the parent-child relationship, if any, to the development of the story or the character. Be sure to support your analysis with relevant examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, it makes sense that an FBI profiler would seek out the expertise of a psychic. Compare and contrast how the work of Benton Wesley and Hilda Ozimek. Whose work do you think is more important to the solving of The Couple Killings and why? Support your conclusion with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how each of the following pieces of information assisted in the development of either the plot or the characters in this story. Be specific in describing how you came to your conclusions.
Pat Harvey's husband having an affair
Pat Harvey's dislike of Fred Cheney
The mutual dislike between Pete Marino and Abby Turnbull
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)