|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, all the bodies in a series of unsolved murders were found within a 50-mile radius of which location?
2. What holiday weekend is being observed when the story opens?
3. What did Scarpetta say about the skulls of Deborah and Fred?
4. Where does Scarpetta run into Pat Harvey?
5. Why do Scarpetta and Marino fly to South Carolina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What's stressful for Scarpetta in dealing with parents?
2. Why does Scarpetta feel betrayed by Abby Turnbull in Chapter 4?
3. Give an example of Scarpetta's scientific approach examining the bodies of Harvey and Cheney in the woods.
4. What information is Scarpetta after when she meets Wesley for lunch in Chapter 9?
5. Why was Pat Harvey professionally interested in the Couple Killings long before her daughter was murdered?
6. How does Ozimek describe a mysterious man she "sees" in the pictures of the woods where Harvey and Cheney were murdered?
7. Describe how Pat Harvey might be feeling when she first arrives at the rest stop where her daughter's abandoned Jeep has been found.
8. Explain Wesley's reasons for not keeping Scarpetta informed.
9. How does Ozimek explain what she does?
10. How does Pat Harvey exert her influence to get a copy of the autopsy report of her daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parent-child relationships are complex and sometimes difficult. Below are characters whose relationship with a parent is mentioned in the story. Explain the significance of the parent-child relationship, if any, to the development of the story or the character. Be sure to support your analysis with relevant examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Discuss the multiple issues the FBI was balancing while investigating The Couple Killings and the impact of those issues on the investigation.
2) Abby Turnbull and Pat Harvey share information with each other on a regular basis. Do you think this was a reasonable thing for Abby to do? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3) Pat Harvey was convinced Steven Spurrier murdered her daughter and that Spurrier would never be convicted. Ms. Harvey decided to take matters into her own hands. What do you think of Pat Harvey's decision and should her actions have been foreseen by the police and FBI? Use examples from the book to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
All of the evidence gathered in the search of Steven Spurrier's was considered circumstantial. In fact, there was no conclusive evidence that ever linked Spurrier directly to The Couple Murders. Do you agree or disagree with Scarpetta, Wesley and others that Spurrier was the serial killer? What information from the book would you point to to support your conclusion. Be specific.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)