|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, all the bodies in a series of unsolved murders were found within a 50-mile radius of which location?
2. How does Hilda describe an object still at the site where Deborah and Fred were found?
3. Who calls in the psychic, Hilda Ozimek, on the missing teens' investigation?
4. What did Scarpetta's lover want her to do?
5. What is one theory for the reason the couples were murdered in the series of unsolved cases?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marino think the killer did to get Fred to go into the woods without resistance?
2. In Chapter 9, what issues does Scarpetta have with the FBI's surveillance of the woods?
3. Explain the significance of the jack of hearts.
4. How does Ozimek explain what she does?
5. In what condition does Scarpetta find Abby Turnbull when she goes to her apartment?
6. What does Pat Harvey believe about her daughter's death?
7. Describe the appearance of the bodies of Harvey and Cheney at the murder scene.
8. Explain the difference if a cut is found on the top of a hand or on the palms.
9. Why does Scarpetta think her personal competence as the chief medical examiner is being called into question?
10. Why is Scarpetta reluctant to say Deborah Harvey was killed by a shot in the back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parent-child relationships are complex and sometimes difficult. Below are characters whose relationship with a parent is mentioned in the story. Explain the significance of the parent-child relationship, if any, to the development of the story or the character. Be sure to support your analysis with relevant examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, it makes sense that an FBI profiler would seek out the expertise of a psychic. Compare and contrast how the work of Benton Wesley and Hilda Ozimek. Whose work do you think is more important to the solving of The Couple Killings and why? Support your conclusion with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of trust runs through the book. Select two relationships below and describe how the element of trust influenced the nature of the relationship and the decisions of the individuals within that relationship.
1) Abby Turnbull and Kay Scarpetta
2) Kay Scarpetta and Benton Wesley
3) Abby Turnbull and Clifford Ring
4) Kay Scarpetta and Mark James
5) Kay Scarpetta and Pat Harvey
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)