Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hilda report she "saw" when she was taken to Deborah's abandoned Jeep?
2. What is a common feature of all the unsolved murders of teen couples?
3. What holiday weekend is being observed when the story opens?
4. As the story opens, where is the crime scene investigation taking place?
5. At lunch, what is one theory the investigators discuss about the disappearance of the teens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Pat Harvey's political connections on the investigation of her daughter's disappearance?
2. In Chapter 12, why does Scarpetta decide to call Abby Turnbull about the murders of Jill Harington and Elizabeth Mott?
3. In Chapter 2, why does Pat Harvey question Scarpetta about the murder of the other couples?
4. What prompts Pat Harvey to call in a psychic, Hilda Ozimek?
5. What is the result of the meeting between Detective Montana, Scarpetta and Marino in Chapter 13?
6. Why was Pat Harvey professionally interested in the Couple Killings long before her daughter was murdered?
7. Why is Scarpetta concerned about the bodies of Cheney and Harvey being moved?
8. What were some of the reasons Scarpetta does not believe it was a rogue CIA agent or a professional hit man that killed Deborah Harvey and Fred Cheney?
9. Why does Scarpetta struggle over spending time with Abby Turnbull in Chapter 3?
10. How does Mr. Joyce describe the car that he saw on his road a few days before a teen couple disappeared?
Essay Topic 1
Each character below had a feeling of incompetence that led to frustration and anger. Indicate what steps the character took to overcome their feelings. Be sure to use examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot significance of Pat Harvey's job as "drug czar." Be sure to touch on the FBI, the Justice Department, the CIA, the questionable charities, the investigation of The Couple Killings.
Essay Topic 3
Select one of the following and answer the questions:
1 ) Compare and contrast how much information is revealed about the killer, Steven Spurrier, and how much is revealed about Pat Harvey. Based on the information you present, indicate how realistic it is that Spurrier is the serial killer and in turn is killed by Pat Harvey? Be sure to use concrete examples from the novel to support your answer.
2) Compare and contrast how the authorities in the book handled these serial killings.
How would you describe the actions of the authorities?
What do you think they did right? What would you criticize?
Overall, are you sympathetic or critical of the actions on the part of the various policing and governmental authorities? Why? Be specific.
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)