|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is nicknamed the "drug czar" by the media?
2. What does Scarpetta learn about Abby Turnbull?
3. Who does Pat Harvey suspect is behind the murder of her daughter?
4. What was found at the crime scene, alerting investigators the teens had made a stop?
5. What caused the intense reaction by one of the search and rescue dogs at the crime scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abby find it hard to believe the murders of Harrington and Mott are connected to the Couple Killings?
2. What does the use of the Hydra-Shok bullet suggest to Scarpetta about the killer and the investigation?
3. In what condition does Scarpetta find Abby Turnbull when she goes to her apartment?
4. In Chapter 12, why does Scarpetta decide to call Abby Turnbull about the murders of Jill Harington and Elizabeth Mott?
5. What prompts Pat Harvey to call in a psychic, Hilda Ozimek?
6. How does Scarpetta's Italian background influence some of her decisions?
7. Describe Scarpetta's reaction to the newspaper headlines after the abandoned Jeep was found.
8. Why is it significant that Aranoff is not the man that approached Scarpetta and Abby that evening at the restaurant?
9. What does Scarpetta learn about Deborah Harvey's father from an article in the Washington Post?
10. What's stressful for Scarpetta in dealing with parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Discuss the multiple issues the FBI was balancing while investigating The Couple Killings and the impact of those issues on the investigation.
2) Abby Turnbull and Pat Harvey share information with each other on a regular basis. Do you think this was a reasonable thing for Abby to do? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3) Pat Harvey was convinced Steven Spurrier murdered her daughter and that Spurrier would never be convicted. Ms. Harvey decided to take matters into her own hands. What do you think of Pat Harvey's decision and should her actions have been foreseen by the police and FBI? Use examples from the book to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of trust runs through the book. Select two relationships below and describe how the element of trust influenced the nature of the relationship and the decisions of the individuals within that relationship.
1) Abby Turnbull and Kay Scarpetta
2) Kay Scarpetta and Benton Wesley
3) Abby Turnbull and Clifford Ring
4) Kay Scarpetta and Mark James
5) Kay Scarpetta and Pat Harvey
Essay Topic 3
All of the evidence gathered in the search of Steven Spurrier's was considered circumstantial. In fact, there was no conclusive evidence that ever linked Spurrier directly to The Couple Murders. Do you agree or disagree with Scarpetta, Wesley and others that Spurrier was the serial killer? What information from the book would you point to to support your conclusion. Be specific.
This section contains 2,239 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)