|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Scarpetta call after returning home from Washington, DC?
2. In the murders of Deborah and Fred, who does Marino think was killed first?
3. As Chapter 2 opens, Kay Scarpetta is invited to lunch by whom?
4. What key piece of evidence does Scarpetta learn was found at the murder site?
5. Who does Scarpetta meet at the Globe and Laurel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with the cartridge casing Scarpetta finds at the Cheney-Harvey murder scene?
2. Explain the difference if a cut is found on the top of a hand or on the palms.
3. Why does Scarpetta feel betrayed by Abby Turnbull in Chapter 4?
4. How does Abby find out about the Seven-Eleven and what does it show?
5. How does Ozimek describe a mysterious man she "sees" in the pictures of the woods where Harvey and Cheney were murdered?
6. Why is a politically inspired kidnapping such a disturbing possibility?
7. In Chapter 2, why does Pat Harvey question Scarpetta about the murder of the other couples?
8. Explain Wesley's reasons for not keeping Scarpetta informed.
9. As Chapter 1 opens, what is Scarpetta's perspective on working with other police agencies involved in VICAP?
10. Describe Scarpetta's reaction to the newspaper headlines after the abandoned Jeep was found.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another theme that plays throughout the book is that of betrayal and the havoc it wreaks on different individuals. Select two of the following characters and explain how betrayal impacted their lives and shaped their decisions:
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the following and answer the questions:
1 ) Compare and contrast how much information is revealed about the killer, Steven Spurrier, and how much is revealed about Pat Harvey. Based on the information you present, indicate how realistic it is that Spurrier is the serial killer and in turn is killed by Pat Harvey? Be sure to use concrete examples from the novel to support your answer.
2) Compare and contrast how the authorities in the book handled these serial killings.
How would you describe the actions of the authorities?
What do you think they did right? What would you criticize?
Overall, are you sympathetic or critical of the actions on the part of the various policing and governmental authorities? Why? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
Below are three examples of a character or piece of information presented in the story that ultimately proved unimportant in solving the crime. With each example, explain what purpose you think the author had in mind by introducing these elements into the story.
Pete Marino's wife
Scarpetta's niece, Lucy
Deborah Harvey's breast-reduction operation
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)