|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hilda describe the individual that she "sees" with Fred and Deborah when they disappeared?
2. Who else does Scarpetta visit in Washington, DC after seeing Dr. Vessey?
3. What did Scarpetta notice both Fred and Deborah were missing?
4. Why do Scarpetta and Marino fly to South Carolina?
5. Why is Scarpetta in Richmond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Wesley's reasons for not keeping Scarpetta informed.
2. How does Pat Harvey exert her influence to get a copy of the autopsy report of her daughter?
3. How does Ozimek explain what she does?
4. What's the significance of Jill Harrington not having any bills for a newspaper subscription?
5. After the meeting with Mr. Joyce, what does Scarpetta reason about the killer that leads her to the next step in her investigation?
6. Why does Scarpetta feel betrayed by Abby Turnbull in Chapter 4?
7. Discuss why Scarpetta and Marino feel in Chapter 3 as if they've been "handled" by Benton Wesley.
8. What does Scarpetta learn about Deborah Harvey's father from an article in the Washington Post?
9. Give an example of Scarpetta's scientific approach examining the bodies of Harvey and Cheney in the woods.
10. In Chapter 9, what issues does Scarpetta have with the FBI's surveillance of the woods?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Discuss the multiple issues the FBI was balancing while investigating The Couple Killings and the impact of those issues on the investigation.
2) Abby Turnbull and Pat Harvey share information with each other on a regular basis. Do you think this was a reasonable thing for Abby to do? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3) Pat Harvey was convinced Steven Spurrier murdered her daughter and that Spurrier would never be convicted. Ms. Harvey decided to take matters into her own hands. What do you think of Pat Harvey's decision and should her actions have been foreseen by the police and FBI? Use examples from the book to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes a person's greatest strength can also be their downfall. With each of the following characters, describe what you believe was the person's strength and how that same attribute contributed to his or her demise.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the differences and similarities between Pat Harvey and Abby Turnbull. How do these characteristics contribute to the success of each woman? The ultimate demise of each woman? Be sure to offer specific examples from the book to support your response.
This section contains 2,237 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)