|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hilda tell Scarpetta she can see around people?
2. What do Marino and Scarpetta find where Deborah was shot?
3. Who calls in the psychic, Hilda Ozimek, on the missing teens' investigation?
4. What is one theory as to who might have killed Deborah and Fred?
5. Who is Hilda Ozimek referring to when she uses the phrase, "defender, someone who does battle"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What's the significance of Jill Harrington not having any bills for a newspaper subscription?
2. In what condition does Scarpetta find Abby Turnbull when she goes to her apartment?
3. What's the sequence of events that Marino thinks led to the murders of Spurrier and Abby Turnbull?
4. Why did Camp Peary come under suspicion soon after the Couple Killings started?
5. Why is Scarpetta concerned about the bodies of Cheney and Harvey being moved?
6. Why is a politically inspired kidnapping such a disturbing possibility?
7. Why does Scarpetta think her personal competence as the chief medical examiner is being called into question?
8. What is the significance of Pat Harvey's political connections on the investigation of her daughter's disappearance?
9. How does Mr. Joyce describe the car that he saw on his road a few days before a teen couple disappeared?
10. Describe Scarpetta's reactions to seeing Mark James.
Essay Topic 1
Parent-child relationships are complex and sometimes difficult. Below are characters whose relationship with a parent is mentioned in the story. Explain the significance of the parent-child relationship, if any, to the development of the story or the character. Be sure to support your analysis with relevant examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes a person's greatest strength can also be their downfall. With each of the following characters, describe what you believe was the person's strength and how that same attribute contributed to his or her demise.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot significance of Pat Harvey's job as "drug czar." Be sure to touch on the FBI, the Justice Department, the CIA, the questionable charities, the investigation of The Couple Killings.
This section contains 2,102 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)