|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the boys stop fighting with each other?
2. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
3. What did the poor black family down the road do for Rick's family?
4. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
5. When sober, how did Bobby Bragg dress for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
2. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
3. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
4. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
5. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
6. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
7. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
8. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
9. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
10. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Rick truly believe about his father and the type of person he once was and the type of person he became? What changed his father? Why did Rick choose to believe this?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the historical implications of the book. How does the time and place create the lives and the choices of the people in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What historical lesson did Rick Bragg teach his readers about Haiti? How has this story affected Rick, and what did he hope the story would continue to do to his readers?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)