|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Grandma Ab do the last time her grandchildren drove away with their father and mother?
2. How did Rick view his time in high school?
3. When did the boys stop fighting with each other?
4. When did Rick first meet his father?
5. How did Charles feel about going to Korea to kill soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
2. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
3. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
4. What was Margaret's experience traveling to New York City like?
5. What are some of the stories that Rick experienced in Clearwater?
6. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
7. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
8. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
9. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
10. How did Rick feel about the Fellowship to Harvard and why? How did his family feel?
Essay Topic 1
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Rick and his brothers to an average American household. How were the boys the same as others? How were they different? Mention not only material items but how they thought about themselves and how others thought about them.
Essay Topic 3
According to Rick, what does true poverty do to a person's life from childhood to adulthood?
This section contains 1,610 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)