|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous singer did grandma tell Rick that she met before he died?
2. What bet did Uncle Jimbo win for twenty dollars?
3. What payment was most likely used for the doctor who helped give birth to Rick's mother?
4. What is the last line of the Prologue?
5. When did the boys stop fighting with each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
2. What did the poor black boy bring to Rick's family, and what does Rick think about it now that he is an older man?
3. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
4. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
5. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
6. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
7. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
8. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
9. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
10. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thirty years later, Rick went back to see the big house that he once lived in. It was renovated. Rick wanted to scream when he saw it. Explain why he would want to scream at a beautiful house.
Essay Topic 2
Rick protected his mother from the horror stories that he wrote about. What was his motive behind this decision? Was it the right decision? Did he do it for himself ultimately or for her?
Essay Topic 3
How did the school system create Sam's life for him? Was this fair? What choices did Sam have? Do children know and understand their choices? Did Sam?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)