|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the reason that Charles whipped his daughter Margaret at the age of thirteen?
2. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
3. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
4. What does Rick regret about his grandfather?
5. What trait does Rick believe he inherited from his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
2. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
3. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
4. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
5. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
6. How did Rick react to his father's death?
7. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
8. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
9. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
10. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What historical lesson did Rick Bragg teach his readers about Haiti? How has this story affected Rick, and what did he hope the story would continue to do to his readers?
Essay Topic 2
What drew Rick to spend his life writing stories about human tragedy? Did writing these types of stories resolve his inner issues? What did he learn about life from these stories?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Rick and his brothers to an average American household. How were the boys the same as others? How were they different? Mention not only material items but how they thought about themselves and how others thought about them.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)