|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the reason that Charles whipped his daughter Margaret at the age of thirteen?
2. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
3. What crime did John Sparks commit?
4. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
5. What was acceptable practice and what was not in the foothills?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
2. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
3. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
4. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
5. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
6. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
7. What kind of a woman was Rick's grandmother?
8. What kind of a father did Rick have?
9. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
10. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did poverty shape the young lives of the three brothers? How did Margaret get caught up in the poverty cycle, and what did it cost her?
Essay Topic 2
After the riots in Miami, Sean kept the rock as did Rick for a while until they couldn't keep it any more. What is the significance of the rock? What made them keep it? What made them get rid of it?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the three brothers. How do their differences affect the choices that they make in life?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)