|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Charles when he died?
2. What did Sam and Rick do to their father on the night he attempted to hit Rick?
3. Why did Rick run from the police when he was riding the moped?
4. What did Charlie tell Margaret about going back to her husband when she came home for the second time?
5. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
2. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
3. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
4. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
5. How did Rick react to his father's death?
6. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
7. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
8. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
9. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
10. What kind of a father did Rick have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thirty years later, Rick went back to see the big house that he once lived in. It was renovated. Rick wanted to scream when he saw it. Explain why he would want to scream at a beautiful house.
Essay Topic 2
According to Rick, what does true poverty do to a person's life from childhood to adulthood?
Essay Topic 3
What are Rick's views about religion? Where do they come from? How do they affect him emotionally? What does he understand that he is missing?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)