|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what era did Rick's parents grow up?
2. What is the last line of the Prologue?
3. How did the weather make the war worse in Korea?
4. What is the story of the widow's mite?
5. What did Aunt Mary Jo take the children out for to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
2. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
3. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
4. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
5. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
6. What kind of a woman was Rick's grandmother?
7. What kind of a father did Rick have?
8. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
9. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
10. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Susan Smith story made Rick feel hatred for the hopelessness of it all. What did he see as hopeless? What did Susan see in comparison? What lesson does Rick wish that he could have taught her before she killed her children?
Essay Topic 2
What is a widow's mite, and why does Rick Bragg use it as a title for the first section of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)