|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
2. What famous singer did grandma tell Rick that she met before he died?
3. What city's bombing did Rick mention that he writes about?
4. What did Rick's mother do without so that her boys could have school clothes?
5. What school did Rick attend at the age of 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
2. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
3. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
4. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
5. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
6. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
7. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
8. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
9. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
10. What kind of a father did Rick have?
Essay Topic 1
Margaret had some small pictures of Charles which Rick looked at now and again as a boy. At one point he said, "It hurts my eyes to look at them for long." Explain the quote in regard to Rick's relationship to his father.
Essay Topic 2
How did the Nieman Fellowship and the Harvard education validate Rick? What was he looking for validation for? Did it change him? How so?
Essay Topic 3
How did the school system create Sam's life for him? Was this fair? What choices did Sam have? Do children know and understand their choices? Did Sam?
This section contains 1,580 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)