|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the house like that Rick's father brought them to when Rick was six years old?
2. What did Rick's grandmother die from?
3. What did Rick find himself wishing for at the funeral home?
4. Who went to Charles's funeral?
5. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Rick one of the usual suspects after a crime was committed, and how did he react to the whole situation?
2. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
3. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
4. How did Rick react to his father's death?
5. What kind of a woman was Rick's grandmother?
6. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
7. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
8. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
9. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
10. What kind of a father did Rick have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
Essay Topic 2
According to Rick, what does true poverty do to a person's life from childhood to adulthood?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Rick and his brothers to an average American household. How were the boys the same as others? How were they different? Mention not only material items but how they thought about themselves and how others thought about them.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)