|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Charles kill the assassin in Korea?
2. What did Rick's mother do without so that her boys could have school clothes?
3. How long after quitting high school did Margaret get her GED?
4. What is the story of the widow's mite?
5. In what era did Rick's parents grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
2. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
3. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
4. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
5. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
6. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
7. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
8. How did Rick react to his father's death?
9. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
10. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did poverty shape the young lives of the three brothers? How did Margaret get caught up in the poverty cycle, and what did it cost her?
Essay Topic 2
How did the school system create Sam's life for him? Was this fair? What choices did Sam have? Do children know and understand their choices? Did Sam?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the historical implications of the book. How does the time and place create the lives and the choices of the people in the book?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)