|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trait does Rick believe he inherited from his father?
2. What gift did Rick receive in 2nd grade that had such a large impact on him?
3. Why was Rick rushed to the hospital as a young boy?
4. What made Rick finally write the book?
5. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
2. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
3. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
4. What kind of a father did Rick have?
5. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
6. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
7. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
8. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
9. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
10. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Rick's views about religion? Where do they come from? How do they affect him emotionally? What does he understand that he is missing?
Essay Topic 2
What is a widow's mite, and why does Rick Bragg use it as a title for the first section of the book?
Essay Topic 3
After the riots in Miami, Sean kept the rock as did Rick for a while until they couldn't keep it any more. What is the significance of the rock? What made them keep it? What made them get rid of it?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)