|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did NOT change in Rick's parents' world as the times change?
2. What does Rick regret about his grandfather?
3. Why did Rick tell his family's story?
4. What did the redbird do that makes Rick question life?
5. What did Rick's father teach him that helped him get to his job as a reporter even though many saw him as a loser?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
2. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
3. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
4. What kind of a father did Rick have?
5. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
6. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
7. Why was Rick one of the usual suspects after a crime was committed, and how did he react to the whole situation?
8. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
9. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
10. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margaret had some small pictures of Charles which Rick looked at now and again as a boy. At one point he said, "It hurts my eyes to look at them for long." Explain the quote in regard to Rick's relationship to his father.
Essay Topic 2
What are Rick's views about religion? Where do they come from? How do they affect him emotionally? What does he understand that he is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the quote found on page 98: "But what really kills you on that other side are the people--the smiling, care-free people--who can just as easily look over into your side, and turn their face away." Explain it in terms of the memoir and the truism in life.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)