|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
2. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
3. Where did Margaret take the children to find "treasure"?
4. How did the weather make the war worse in Korea?
5. What did Rick write in the Jacksonville News?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
2. Why was Rick one of the usual suspects after a crime was committed, and how did he react to the whole situation?
3. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
4. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
5. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
6. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
7. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
8. What did the poor black boy bring to Rick's family, and what does Rick think about it now that he is an older man?
9. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
10. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What drew Rick to spend his life writing stories about human tragedy? Did writing these types of stories resolve his inner issues? What did he learn about life from these stories?
Essay Topic 2
Margaret had some small pictures of Charles which Rick looked at now and again as a boy. At one point he said, "It hurts my eyes to look at them for long." Explain the quote in regard to Rick's relationship to his father.
Essay Topic 3
What is a widow's mite, and why does Rick Bragg use it as a title for the first section of the book?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)