|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
2. What did the box contain that Rick's father gave to him on his last visit?
3. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
4. Why did Rick love his 1969 convertible so much in high school?
5. Where did Margaret take the children to find "treasure"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
2. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
3. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
4. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
5. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
6. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
7. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
8. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
9. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
10. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the historical implications of the book. How does the time and place create the lives and the choices of the people in the book?
Essay Topic 3
According to Rick, what does true poverty do to a person's life from childhood to adulthood?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)