|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was acceptable practice and what was not in the foothills?
2. What did Margaret expect Rick's father to do after she poured his whiskey down the drain?
3. Why did Rick tell his family's story?
4. What did Rick find himself wishing for at the funeral home?
5. What happened to the letters Margaret received from Charles while he was in Korea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
2. Why was Rick one of the usual suspects after a crime was committed, and how did he react to the whole situation?
3. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
4. What kind of a woman was Rick's grandmother?
5. What kind of a father did Rick have?
6. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
7. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
8. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
9. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
10. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rick protected his mother from the horror stories that he wrote about. What was his motive behind this decision? Was it the right decision? Did he do it for himself ultimately or for her?
Essay Topic 2
What drew Rick to spend his life writing stories about human tragedy? Did writing these types of stories resolve his inner issues? What did he learn about life from these stories?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Nieman Fellowship and the Harvard education validate Rick? What was he looking for validation for? Did it change him? How so?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)