Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
2. What famous singer did grandma tell Rick that she met before he died?
3. What city's bombing did Rick mention that he writes about?
4. What did Rick's mother do without so that her boys could have school clothes?
5. What school did Rick attend at the age of 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
2. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
3. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
4. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
5. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
6. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
7. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
8. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
9. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
10. What kind of a father did Rick have?
Essay Topic 1
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
Essay Topic 2
The Susan Smith story made Rick feel hatred for the hopelessness of it all. What did he see as hopeless? What did Susan see in comparison? What lesson does Rick wish that he could have taught her before she killed her children?
Essay Topic 3
Rick protected his mother from the horror stories that he wrote about. What was his motive behind this decision? Was it the right decision? Did he do it for himself ultimately or for her?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)