|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what era did Rick's parents grow up?
2. What did Rick's grandmother die from?
3. What did the redbird do that makes Rick question life?
4. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
5. What did momma lecture Rick about on the rare occasions that she lectured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
2. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
3. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
4. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
5. How did Rick react to his father's death?
6. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
7. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
8. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
9. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
10. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Rick, what does true poverty do to a person's life from childhood to adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Nieman Fellowship and the Harvard education validate Rick? What was he looking for validation for? Did it change him? How so?
Essay Topic 3
How did poverty shape the young lives of the three brothers? How did Margaret get caught up in the poverty cycle, and what did it cost her?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)