|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Grandma Ab do the last time her grandchildren drove away with their father and mother?
2. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
3. What was the name of Rick's first reading group at school?
4. When sober, how did Bobby Bragg dress for dinner?
5. What was Rick's mother's response when he asked her if he could write the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Margaret's experience traveling to New York City like?
2. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
3. How did Rick fare at Harvard?
4. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
5. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
6. Who died at home, and when Rick went to the funeral how did he feel?
7. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
8. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
9. In winter of 1994, where was Rick and what was he writing about?
10. Why did momma move out of the new house?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the quote found on page 98: "But what really kills you on that other side are the people--the smiling, care-free people--who can just as easily look over into your side, and turn their face away." Explain it in terms of the memoir and the truism in life.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the historical implications of the book. How does the time and place create the lives and the choices of the people in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)