|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime did John Sparks commit?
2. What does Rick say of the errors that occur in his story?
3. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
4. Where did Margaret take the children to find "treasure"?
5. How did Charles feel about going to Korea to kill soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
2. Why was Rick one of the usual suspects after a crime was committed, and how did he react to the whole situation?
3. What kind of a woman was Rick's grandmother?
4. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
5. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
6. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
7. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
8. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
9. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
10. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did poverty shape the young lives of the three brothers? How did Margaret get caught up in the poverty cycle, and what did it cost her?
Essay Topic 2
How did the school system create Sam's life for him? Was this fair? What choices did Sam have? Do children know and understand their choices? Did Sam?
Essay Topic 3
Thirty years later, Rick went back to see the big house that he once lived in. It was renovated. Rick wanted to scream when he saw it. Explain why he would want to scream at a beautiful house.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)