|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rick hope his story will accomplish?
2. What memory does Rick recall of his grandmother and himself when he was five?
3. What does Rick regret about his grandfather?
4. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
5. Who drove Margaret to the hospital when she gave birth to Rick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the poor black boy bring to Rick's family, and what does Rick think about it now that he is an older man?
2. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
3. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
4. What kind of a woman was Rick's grandmother?
5. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
6. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
7. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
8. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
9. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
10. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the school system create Sam's life for him? Was this fair? What choices did Sam have? Do children know and understand their choices? Did Sam?
Essay Topic 2
After the riots in Miami, Sean kept the rock as did Rick for a while until they couldn't keep it any more. What is the significance of the rock? What made them keep it? What made them get rid of it?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Nieman Fellowship and the Harvard education validate Rick? What was he looking for validation for? Did it change him? How so?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)