|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rick hope his story will accomplish?
2. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
3. What kind of a man is Rick's bother, Sam?
4. What was meant by the quote "didn't have no papers on him."?
5. What was the name of Rick's first reading group at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
2. How did Rick react to his father's death?
3. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
4. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
5. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
6. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
7. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
8. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
9. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
10. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the school system create Sam's life for him? Was this fair? What choices did Sam have? Do children know and understand their choices? Did Sam?
Essay Topic 2
The Susan Smith story made Rick feel hatred for the hopelessness of it all. What did he see as hopeless? What did Susan see in comparison? What lesson does Rick wish that he could have taught her before she killed her children?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the historical implications of the book. How does the time and place create the lives and the choices of the people in the book?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)