|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rick find himself wishing for at the funeral home?
2. How did Charles feel about going to Korea to kill soldiers?
3. What was acceptable practice and what was not in the foothills?
4. Why did Margaret bury Rick's muddy sneakers?
5. What happened to the letters Margaret received from Charles while he was in Korea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
2. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
3. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
4. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
5. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
6. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
7. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
8. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
9. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
10. What kind of a father did Rick have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
Essay Topic 2
How did the school system create Sam's life for him? Was this fair? What choices did Sam have? Do children know and understand their choices? Did Sam?
Essay Topic 3
What did Rick truly believe about his father and the type of person he once was and the type of person he became? What changed his father? Why did Rick choose to believe this?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)