|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sam and Rick do to their father on the night he attempted to hit Rick?
2. When sober, how did Bobby Bragg dress for dinner?
3. What did Rick's grandmother die from?
4. What did momma lecture Rick about on the rare occasions that she lectured?
5. In what era did Rick's parents grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
2. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
3. At Thanksgiving in the new house, what did Rick and Sam learn?
4. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
5. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
6. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
7. Who died at home, and when Rick went to the funeral how did he feel?
8. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
9. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
10. What are some of the stories that Rick experienced in Clearwater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Nieman Fellowship and the Harvard education validate Rick? What was he looking for validation for? Did it change him? How so?
Essay Topic 2
Thirty years later, Rick went back to see the big house that he once lived in. It was renovated. Rick wanted to scream when he saw it. Explain why he would want to scream at a beautiful house.
Essay Topic 3
What drew Rick to spend his life writing stories about human tragedy? Did writing these types of stories resolve his inner issues? What did he learn about life from these stories?
This section contains 1,697 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)