|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a man is Rick's brother, Mark?
2. What did Rick write in the Jacksonville News?
3. In general, how did Rick Bragg feel about religion as he always had?
4. In 1971 what did the fraternity do at Christmas?
5. What is the last line of the Prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
2. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
3. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
4. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
5. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
6. Why was Rick one of the usual suspects after a crime was committed, and how did he react to the whole situation?
7. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
8. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
9. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
10. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three of the following chapter titles and explain their significance to the whole book.
1. Under Vulcan's Hammer
2. The Price Tag on Heaven
3. Snow In a Can
4. The Same
5. If You Got to Kill Somebody, Better It Be Family.
6. Perfume on a Hog.
Essay Topic 2
Margaret had some small pictures of Charles which Rick looked at now and again as a boy. At one point he said, "It hurts my eyes to look at them for long." Explain the quote in regard to Rick's relationship to his father.
Essay Topic 3
What historical lesson did Rick Bragg teach his readers about Haiti? How has this story affected Rick, and what did he hope the story would continue to do to his readers?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)