|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rick say of the errors that occur in his story?
2. When did Rick first meet his father?
3. When sober, how did Bobby Bragg dress for dinner?
4. What instrument did Rick's grandmother play?
5. What did Rick's father teach him that helped him get to his job as a reporter even though many saw him as a loser?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
2. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
3. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
4. Why was Rick one of the usual suspects after a crime was committed, and how did he react to the whole situation?
5. What did the poor black boy bring to Rick's family, and what does Rick think about it now that he is an older man?
6. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
7. What kind of a father did Rick have?
8. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
9. How did Rick react to his father's death?
10. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What historical lesson did Rick Bragg teach his readers about Haiti? How has this story affected Rick, and what did he hope the story would continue to do to his readers?
Essay Topic 2
What is a widow's mite, and why does Rick Bragg use it as a title for the first section of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Rick and his brothers to an average American household. How were the boys the same as others? How were they different? Mention not only material items but how they thought about themselves and how others thought about them.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)