|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city's bombing did Rick mention that he writes about?
2. How did Rick view his time in high school?
3. What caused Margaret to lose her job as a cotton picker?
4. How long did Rick put off writing his book?
5. What famous singer did grandma tell Rick that she met before he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
2. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
3. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
4. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
5. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
6. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
7. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
8. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
9. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
10. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Nieman Fellowship and the Harvard education validate Rick? What was he looking for validation for? Did it change him? How so?
Essay Topic 2
How did the school system create Sam's life for him? Was this fair? What choices did Sam have? Do children know and understand their choices? Did Sam?
Essay Topic 3
What did Rick truly believe about his father and the type of person he once was and the type of person he became? What changed his father? Why did Rick choose to believe this?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)