|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rick regret about his grandfather?
2. When did Rick first meet his father?
3. What was Rick's mother's response when he asked her if he could write the book?
4. What life lesson did Rick's mother teach him that he broke when he made fun of a boy for having lice?
5. What payment was most likely used for the doctor who helped give birth to Rick's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
2. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
3. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
4. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
5. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
6. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
7. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
8. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
9. Why was Rick one of the usual suspects after a crime was committed, and how did he react to the whole situation?
10. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Rick and his brothers to an average American household. How were the boys the same as others? How were they different? Mention not only material items but how they thought about themselves and how others thought about them.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the historical implications of the book. How does the time and place create the lives and the choices of the people in the book?
Essay Topic 3
After the riots in Miami, Sean kept the rock as did Rick for a while until they couldn't keep it any more. What is the significance of the rock? What made them keep it? What made them get rid of it?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)