|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument did Rick's grandmother play?
2. What caused Margaret to lose her job as a cotton picker?
3. How old was Charles when he died?
4. What does Rick say about this book?
5. How did Rick view his time in high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
2. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
3. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
4. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
5. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
6. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
7. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
8. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
9. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
10. What kind of a woman was Rick's grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What historical lesson did Rick Bragg teach his readers about Haiti? How has this story affected Rick, and what did he hope the story would continue to do to his readers?
Essay Topic 2
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
Essay Topic 3
How did poverty shape the young lives of the three brothers? How did Margaret get caught up in the poverty cycle, and what did it cost her?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)