|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the story of the widow's mite?
2. What was meant by the quote "didn't have no papers on him."?
3. What is the last line of the Prologue?
4. What was the house like that Rick's father brought them to when Rick was six years old?
5. How long did Rick put off writing his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Rick one of the usual suspects after a crime was committed, and how did he react to the whole situation?
2. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
3. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
4. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
5. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
6. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
7. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
8. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
9. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
10. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Nieman Fellowship and the Harvard education validate Rick? What was he looking for validation for? Did it change him? How so?
Essay Topic 2
Thirty years later, Rick went back to see the big house that he once lived in. It was renovated. Rick wanted to scream when he saw it. Explain why he would want to scream at a beautiful house.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Rick and his brothers to an average American household. How were the boys the same as others? How were they different? Mention not only material items but how they thought about themselves and how others thought about them.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)