|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
2. How does Rick describe the area in which his parents were born and raised?
3. In what era did Rick's parents grow up?
4. What happened in the country store when Rick went in to buy drinks while working one summer?
5. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
2. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
3. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
4. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
5. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
6. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
7. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
8. What kind of a woman was Rick's grandmother?
9. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
10. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thirty years later, Rick went back to see the big house that he once lived in. It was renovated. Rick wanted to scream when he saw it. Explain why he would want to scream at a beautiful house.
Essay Topic 2
What historical lesson did Rick Bragg teach his readers about Haiti? How has this story affected Rick, and what did he hope the story would continue to do to his readers?
Essay Topic 3
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)