|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Rick come to dislike Jimmy Carter?
(a) He helps keep Aristide away from Haiti.
(b) He brokered peace with the despots of Haiti.
(c) He ignored the Amercian soldiers in Haiti.
(d) He only sent funding to Haiti.
2. What did the young South Carolina woman say happened to her two boys?
(a) That a Hispanic boy car jacked them.
(b) That she left them in the car unattended when she came back, they were gone.
(c) That a black man jumped in her car and drove away with them in it.
(d) That she does not know what happened to them.
3. What statue stands in Kelly Ingram Park in Birmingham?
(a) Rosa Parks.
(b) Bear Bryant.
(c) George Wallace.
(d) Martin Luther King Jr.
4. What did Rick never do alone?
(a) Go out to eat.
(b) Go to the movies.
(d) Eat jellybeans.
5. Where did Sam end up finding his career?
(a) At a mechanics shop.
(b) At a constuction sight.
(c) At a bar.
(d) At a cottonmill.
6. Where did Rick travel to the first time he went out of the country to write a story?
(a) Costa Rica.
(c) Desert Storm.
7. Who did Rick direct Chapter 40 to as he talked about momma's new house?
(a) Charlie, his mother's father.
(c) His father.
8. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
9. Why was Rick not involved permanently with a woman?
(a) Women found him too harsh.
(b) He never learned what real love is.
(c) He traveled too much.
(d) He did not want to be involved.
10. What did Margaret do at the buffet in New York City that both surprised and amused Rick?
(a) She asked a waiter to get her food.
(b) She took three entrees.
(c) She walked around and around without taking anything.
(d) She took five desserts.
11. What kind of questions did Rick often find himself answering to the students at Harvard?
(a) Questions about Haiti.
(b) Questions about racism.
(c) Questions about his stories.
(d) Questions about the South.
12. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
(a) About Siamese twins.
(b) About a man who married his daughter.
(c) About poachers.
(d) About a woman who dies twenty years after her attack.
13. What did Sam ask from Rick in return for his staying behind in Alabama and Rick going out into the world?
(a) For Rick to send money for momma.
(b) For Rick to be home every year for momma's birthday.
(c) For Rick to tell him the stories of where he had been.
(d) For Rick to call Mark every six months.
14. What did Rick say that men did instead of rioting?
(a) They danced.
(b) They listened to loud music.
(c) They watched dog fights.
(d) They played football.
15. What did Rick compare time lost to?
(a) A lost piece of jewelry.
(b) A bad piece of fruit.
(c) A quarter in an unlucky slot machine.
(d) A poor night's sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
2. What kind of a leader was Papa Doc to Haiti?
3. What kind of people did Rick write about from Immokalee, Florida?
4. What was Rick's first story about as a news reporter for the Anniston Star?
5. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)