|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did momma feel about Mark's jail terms?
2. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
(a) A train wreck with many left dead.
(b) A riot in Miami.
(c) A murder in a grocery store.
(d) A young boy getting killed in an accident.
3. What was the one big award that Rick desired?
(a) The Nobel Prize.
(b) The National Correspondent Award.
(c) The Pulitzer Prize.
(d) Peabody Award.
4. What did Sam give Rick to take back to Miami with him?
(a) A hard hat.
(b) Deer meat.
(c) A sack of pine cones.
(d) A gun.
5. After Rick's second trip to Haiti, what promotion did he receive?
(a) National correspondent to the South.
(b) National correspondent to the West.
(c) International correspondent to Iran.
(d) International correspondent to Turkey.
6. What did Rick do for Dirty Red?
(a) He convinced him to tell his story.
(b) He sent counseling to his home.
(c) He wrote a story about his innocence.
(d) He helped him find a good lawyer.
7. How long had momma lived in the little house?
(a) Forty years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Ten years.
8. What did Rick compare time lost to?
(a) A bad piece of fruit.
(b) A poor night's sleep.
(c) A lost piece of jewelry.
(d) A quarter in an unlucky slot machine.
9. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
(a) A house.
(b) A car.
(c) A vacation.
(d) A new wardrobe.
10. Why did Margaret hang Rick's awards on her walls?
(a) To prove to others that her son was a good boy.
(b) She was vain.
(c) It represented validation.
(d) To convince herself that it is real.
11. Where did Rick travel to the first time he went out of the country to write a story?
(b) Desert Storm.
(d) Costa Rica.
12. What statue stands in Kelly Ingram Park in Birmingham?
(a) Bear Bryant.
(b) George Wallace.
(c) Martin Luther King Jr.
(d) Rosa Parks.
13. What does perfume on a hog reference to in the chapter of that title?
(a) Educated and Uneducated.
(b) Rich and Poor.
(c) Harvard and Rick.
(d) The North and the South.
14. What became of Sam?
(a) He got injured on a job and never worked again.
(b) He worked hard, married, and had children.
(c) He drank himself to death.
(d) He could not hold onto a job or relationship.
15. What was Rick's first story about as a news reporter for the Anniston Star?
(a) Deer hunters who were killing each other by accident.
(b) Football players who suffered from concussions.
(c) Race car drivers killed on the track.
(d) Gang members who were shot to death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the soldiers of Haiti randomly shoot the poor?
2. What did the eighty-seven year old Miss McCarty do with the money she saved over her lifetime?
3. What did Rick tell him momma that he wrote about?
4. How did everyone treat Margaret at the acceptance dinner for Rick's award?
5. Why did Susan Smith kill her two boys?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)