|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
(a) A vacation.
(b) A car.
(c) A house.
(d) A new wardrobe.
2. What did Sam give Rick to take back to Miami with him?
(a) A sack of pine cones.
(b) Deer meat.
(c) A gun.
(d) A hard hat.
3. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
4. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
(a) About poachers.
(b) About a man who married his daughter.
(c) About a woman who dies twenty years after her attack.
(d) About Siamese twins.
5. How did Margaret feel about Rick living away from his family most of his life?
(a) She understood that it is for the best.
(b) She was sad that he did not want to come home.
(c) She was glad that he got out.
(d) She was angry that he did not come home enough.
6. What did Sam ask from Rick in return for his staying behind in Alabama and Rick going out into the world?
(a) For Rick to call Mark every six months.
(b) For Rick to be home every year for momma's birthday.
(c) For Rick to send money for momma.
(d) For Rick to tell him the stories of where he had been.
7. What was different about Thanksgiving in the new house?
(a) Mark came sober.
(b) Rick got his own bed.
(c) They all got to sit together in one room.
(d) Momma had guests.
8. Where did Sam end up finding his career?
(a) At a constuction sight.
(b) At a cottonmill.
(c) At a bar.
(d) At a mechanics shop.
9. Rosario told Rick that he confronted the armed man in his store for what reason?
(a) Rosario cannot trust that the robber will take the money without shooting him.
(b) Rosario knows the police won't help.
(c) Rosario worries that the robber will shoot up the store.
(d) Rosario has been robbed so many times that he just wants to shoot them.
10. Who did Rick direct Chapter 40 to as he talked about momma's new house?
(c) His father.
(d) Charlie, his mother's father.
11. What did Rick keep as a reminder of the night he went out on a dangerous story with Sean?
(a) A rock.
(b) A copy of the story.
(c) A steering wheel.
(d) A shirt.
12. Why did Rick think that he had to take the city reporter's job?
(a) He had a fancy car payment.
(b) He had a wife.
(c) His mother needed the money.
(d) He had to show up the editor that insulted him.
13. When does Rick NOT want to be buried?
(b) During football season.
(c) During the rainy season.
(d) During Nascar.
14. What did Margaret worry about after Rick won his award?
(a) Rick getting rougher writing assignments.
(b) People noticing her more.
(c) Having her picture taken.
(d) Having him stay away for longer periods of time.
15. How did Margaret react to her trip to New York City?
(a) All she wanted to do was to go home.
(b) She was too afraid to really experience it.
(c) She was thrilled and astonished.
(d) She was speechless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rick say that men did instead of rioting?
2. What part of the NY Times staff helped Rick the most when he first got there?
3. Why did Margaret stay home from Abigail's funeral?
4. What did Rick claim as the highlight of his stay in Tampa?
5. What became of Sam?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)