|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Sam end up finding his career?
(a) At a mechanics shop.
(b) At a bar.
(c) At a cottonmill.
(d) At a constuction sight.
2. What kind of people did Rick write about from Immokalee, Florida?
(a) Crew bosses.
(b) The homeless.
(d) Poor migrant workers who drank too much.
3. Why was Rick so nervous about his Fellowship interview?
(a) His friends told him he was not cut out for it.
(b) His editor told him he was a shoe in.
(c) He wanted it more than anything he had ever wanted.
(d) It was a test to him to see if he belonged in educated society.
4. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
(a) About a woman who dies twenty years after her attack.
(b) About Siamese twins.
(c) About a man who married his daughter.
(d) About poachers.
5. Why do the soldiers of Haiti randomly shoot the poor?
(a) To sell their bodies back to their families.
(b) Because the poor are beggars and thieves.
(c) To teach others a lesson.
(d) Because the poor cause riots.
6. Why did Rick lose his job at the Birmingham paper?
(a) He called out sick a lot.
(b) He became too full of himself.
(c) He had a fight with his boss.
(d) He chose to cover only certain stories.
7. What did Rick's new friends at Harvard teach him?
(a) You can't go through life wishing things were different.
(b) You can't go through life hating people.
(c) You can't go through life looking back at the past.
(d) You can't go through life hating people who had it easier than you.
8. What else does "bodega" mean besides "store"?
(a) Freedom, respect, and dignity.
(b) Financial freedom.
(d) Hard work.
9. What was Margaret's response when Rick told her that he got the Fellowship?
(a) "Does that mean you won't be visting me."
(b) "Lord God, you'll freeze to death."
(c) "I knew you would honey."
(d) "Be sure to bring clean clothes."
10. What did the young South Carolina woman say happened to her two boys?
(a) That a black man jumped in her car and drove away with them in it.
(b) That she left them in the car unattended when she came back, they were gone.
(c) That a Hispanic boy car jacked them.
(d) That she does not know what happened to them.
11. What was different about Thanksgiving in the new house?
(a) Rick got his own bed.
(b) They all got to sit together in one room.
(c) Mark came sober.
(d) Momma had guests.
12. What does perfume on a hog reference to in the chapter of that title?
(a) The North and the South.
(b) Rich and Poor.
(c) Harvard and Rick.
(d) Educated and Uneducated.
13. What did Rick go home for in the year that he was in Haiti?
(a) The birth of Sam's son.
(c) Grandma's death.
14. What did the woman tell Rick who he met at a seminar at the end of the book?
(a) That material items cannot fulfill dreams.
(b) That from him she learned not to be ashamed of where she came from.
(c) That she should not put on hold the nice things in life.
(d) That one must forget the past and move on.
15. What was the main question that people asked in Rick's hometown after the incident in 1994 that brought him back home to write a story?
(a) Why would God hurt the poor?
(b) What do we do next?
(c) Where was God when it happened?
(d) What had the people done wrong to be punished?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Rick's second trip to Haiti, what promotion did he receive?
2. When Rick went home in 1988, how long had it been since he spent the holidays there?
3. What did momma feel about Mark's jail terms?
4. What kind of questions did Rick often find himself answering to the students at Harvard?
5. What did Rick keep as a reminder of the night he went out on a dangerous story with Sean?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)