|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
(c) The South.
2. How long did Rick work for the L.A. Times?
(a) One winter.
(b) One year.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
3. How long had momma lived in the little house?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Forty years.
(d) Twenty years.
4. Where did Sam end up finding his career?
(a) At a bar.
(b) At a cottonmill.
(c) At a mechanics shop.
(d) At a constuction sight.
5. Why did Margaret stay home from Abigail's funeral?
(a) She was afraid to go outside.
(b) She was afraid of churches.
(c) She could not handle it.
(d) She did not have a dress to wear.
6. How did Sam feel about Rick going off to his Fellowship?
7. What did Mark build in the woods?
(a) A barn.
(b) A church.
(c) A shack.
(d) A house.
8. How did Margaret react to her trip to New York City?
(a) All she wanted to do was to go home.
(b) She was speechless.
(c) She was too afraid to really experience it.
(d) She was thrilled and astonished.
9. What did Rick do at the old little house that momma did not?
(a) He walked it one more time.
(b) He rejoiced that they are gone from it forever.
(c) He cried when she leaves it.
(d) He spit on the ground.
10. What did Rick go home for in the year that he was in Haiti?
(c) The birth of Sam's son.
(d) Grandma's death.
11. Why was Rick not involved permanently with a woman?
(a) Women found him too harsh.
(b) He did not want to be involved.
(c) He never learned what real love is.
(d) He traveled too much.
12. What does perfume on a hog reference to in the chapter of that title?
(a) Educated and Uneducated.
(b) The North and the South.
(c) Harvard and Rick.
(d) Rich and Poor.
13. What did Rick never do alone?
(a) Go to the movies.
(b) Eat jellybeans.
(d) Go out to eat.
14. What change was made at the NY Times in Rick's first article?
(a) Much of the grammar.
(b) Most of the story.
(c) The headline.
(d) A comma.
15. What became of Sam?
(a) He drank himself to death.
(b) He could not hold onto a job or relationship.
(c) He got injured on a job and never worked again.
(d) He worked hard, married, and had children.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rick went home in 1988, how long had it been since he spent the holidays there?
2. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
3. What was the wall in Brooklyn that Rick wrote about?
4. What did Rick do for Dirty Red?
5. What happened to Rick when he was out on the boat in the Everglades?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)