|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of questions did Rick often find himself answering to the students at Harvard?
(a) Questions about the South.
(b) Questions about racism.
(c) Questions about his stories.
(d) Questions about Haiti.
2. Why did the serial diner keep committing the same crime?
(a) He wanted to be in jail where he got three meals a day.
(b) He believed it makes him famous.
(c) He did not want to be alone.
(d) He liked the attention.
3. What storm stopped Rick from leaving for his Fellowship on the day he was supposed to?
(a) Hurricane Andrew.
(b) Hurricane Charlie.
(c) Hurricane Francis.
(d) Hurricane Katrina.
4. What had Mark been doing since his fight with Sam?
(a) Living in the old house.
(b) Rebuilding his home.
(d) Drinking more.
5. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
6. What did Rick's wife tell him that scared him out of the marriage?
(a) He only cared about his work.
(b) She did not want him traveling for his stories.
(c) He worked too late.
(d) She thought she was pregnant.
7. What did Rick tell him momma that he wrote about?
(b) Gangs in the streets of various cities around the world.
(c) Happy stories.
8. Why did momma move out of her new house?
(a) She was afraid there by herself.
(b) She missed the old house too much.
(c) Sam and Mark had a fight on the front lawn.
(d) The dog died at the new house.
9. What change was made at the NY Times in Rick's first article?
(a) Most of the story.
(b) Much of the grammar.
(c) The headline.
(d) A comma.
10. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
(a) A car.
(b) A vacation.
(c) A house.
(d) A new wardrobe.
11. What did Rick do at the old little house that momma did not?
(a) He spit on the ground.
(b) He rejoiced that they are gone from it forever.
(c) He walked it one more time.
(d) He cried when she leaves it.
12. Why did Rick quit college?
(a) He can't handle the work load.
(b) He got a job as a reporter.
(c) He did not feel like he is learning enough.
(d) He did not like it.
13. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
(d) The South.
14. What statue stands in Kelly Ingram Park in Birmingham?
(a) Martin Luther King Jr.
(b) Rosa Parks.
(c) Bear Bryant.
(d) George Wallace.
15. How did Margaret feel about Rick living away from his family most of his life?
(a) She was sad that he did not want to come home.
(b) She was glad that he got out.
(c) She understood that it is for the best.
(d) She was angry that he did not come home enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1990?
2. What did Rick do for Dirty Red?
3. What did Sam wear to his grandmother's funeral?
4. What story brought Rick back home in 1994?
5. What does perfume on a hog reference to in the chapter of that title?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)