|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Margaret do at the buffet in New York City that both surprised and amused Rick?
(a) She took three entrees.
(b) She took five desserts.
(c) She walked around and around without taking anything.
(d) She asked a waiter to get her food.
2. Why did Rick think that he had to take the city reporter's job?
(a) His mother needed the money.
(b) He had a wife.
(c) He had to show up the editor that insulted him.
(d) He had a fancy car payment.
3. What did Rick's wife tell him that scared him out of the marriage?
(a) She did not want him traveling for his stories.
(b) He worked too late.
(c) He only cared about his work.
(d) She thought she was pregnant.
4. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
5. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
(a) A murder in a grocery store.
(b) A young boy getting killed in an accident.
(c) A riot in Miami.
(d) A train wreck with many left dead.
6. What did Rick state as the reason that Mark was sober for the funeral?
(a) Mark was trying to get sober for his mother.
(b) Mark did it out of respect for his grandmother.
(c) Mark grieved like good men do.
(d) Mark didn't want his family to see him drunk.
7. What did Sam let Rick do when they finally went fishing?
(a) Cook the fish.
(b) Bait the line.
(c) Reel in the fish Sam caught.
(d) Tell momma Rick caught the fish.
8. What did Rick say about his mother's attendance at his wedding?
(a) He had never seen her so dressed up before.
(b) He thought she was too frightened.
(c) He wished she had worn nicer clothing.
(d) He wished she had been there.
9. What did Rick keep as a reminder of the night he went out on a dangerous story with Sean?
(a) A copy of the story.
(b) A steering wheel.
(c) A shirt.
(d) A rock.
10. Why was Rick so nervous about his Fellowship interview?
(a) He wanted it more than anything he had ever wanted.
(b) His editor told him he was a shoe in.
(c) His friends told him he was not cut out for it.
(d) It was a test to him to see if he belonged in educated society.
11. When Rick went home in 1988, how long had it been since he spent the holidays there?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
12. Why was Rick not involved permanently with a woman?
(a) He never learned what real love is.
(b) Women found him too harsh.
(c) He did not want to be involved.
(d) He traveled too much.
13. What did Margaret worry about after Rick won his award?
(a) Having him stay away for longer periods of time.
(b) Having her picture taken.
(c) Rick getting rougher writing assignments.
(d) People noticing her more.
14. What did the eighty-seven year old Miss McCarty do with the money she saved over her lifetime?
(a) Gave it to the local university for scholarships for the poor.
(b) Gave it to the Red Cross to help the poor.
(c) Gave it to the local police to protect the poor.
(d) Gave it to the church to feed the poor.
15. What did momma feel about Mark's jail terms?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Rick quit college?
2. How old was Rick when he married?
3. What else does "bodega" mean besides "store"?
4. What did Rick do for Dirty Red?
5. What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1990?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)