|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Rick compare himself to his father?
(a) He said they are completely different.
(b) He said that in many ways they were the same.
(c) He said that he is a winner and his father a loser.
(d) He said that his father's faults made him a better man.
2. What did Louis Bolivar make seven days a week in Haiti?
3. What was the one big award that Rick desired?
(a) Peabody Award.
(b) The Pulitzer Prize.
(c) The National Correspondent Award.
(d) The Nobel Prize.
4. How long had momma lived in the little house?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Forty years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Thirty years.
5. How big was the property of momma's new house?
(a) One-third of an acre.
(b) 1.3 acres.
(c) Half an acre.
(d) Two acres.
6. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
7. What kind of questions did Rick often find himself answering to the students at Harvard?
(a) Questions about his stories.
(b) Questions about the South.
(c) Questions about Haiti.
(d) Questions about racism.
8. What change was made at the NY Times in Rick's first article?
(a) The headline.
(b) Most of the story.
(c) Much of the grammar.
(d) A comma.
9. How did Rick try to buy his way into heaven?
(a) By buying his ex-wife a baby carriage.
(b) By buying his brother a business.
(c) By buying his momma a pair of dentures.
(d) By buying his girlfriend a car.
10. What statue stands in Kelly Ingram Park in Birmingham?
(a) George Wallace.
(b) Rosa Parks.
(c) Martin Luther King Jr.
(d) Bear Bryant.
11. What did Rick compare time lost to?
(a) A lost piece of jewelry.
(b) A poor night's sleep.
(c) A quarter in an unlucky slot machine.
(d) A bad piece of fruit.
12. What became of Sam?
(a) He drank himself to death.
(b) He got injured on a job and never worked again.
(c) He worked hard, married, and had children.
(d) He could not hold onto a job or relationship.
13. What did the young South Carolina woman say happened to her two boys?
(a) That she does not know what happened to them.
(b) That she left them in the car unattended when she came back, they were gone.
(c) That a black man jumped in her car and drove away with them in it.
(d) That a Hispanic boy car jacked them.
14. Why was Rick so nervous about his Fellowship interview?
(a) His editor told him he was a shoe in.
(b) It was a test to him to see if he belonged in educated society.
(c) His friends told him he was not cut out for it.
(d) He wanted it more than anything he had ever wanted.
15. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
(c) The South.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the eighty-seven year old Miss McCarty do with the money she saved over her lifetime?
2. What did Margaret do at the buffet in New York City that both surprised and amused Rick?
3. How old was Rick when he married?
4. Why was Rick not involved permanently with a woman?
5. Why did the serial diner keep committing the same crime?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)