|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Rick work for the L.A. Times?
(a) One year.
(b) One winter.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
2. How did everyone treat Margaret at the acceptance dinner for Rick's award?
(a) With kid gloves.
(b) Mostly, they stayed away.
(c) They were loud and overwhelming.
(d) They paid her homage for the son that she raised.
3. What did Rick's wife tell him that scared him out of the marriage?
(a) She thought she was pregnant.
(b) He only cared about his work.
(c) She did not want him traveling for his stories.
(d) He worked too late.
4. What story brought Rick back home in 1994?
(a) A gunman who opened fire at a church.
(b) A hurricane that tore down a school.
(c) A church that was hit by a tornado.
(d) A woman who killed her children.
5. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
(a) The South.
6. What did Rick say about his mother's attendance at his wedding?
(a) He thought she was too frightened.
(b) He had never seen her so dressed up before.
(c) He wished she had been there.
(d) He wished she had worn nicer clothing.
7. What did Rick say that men did instead of rioting?
(a) They listened to loud music.
(b) They danced.
(c) They played football.
(d) They watched dog fights.
8. Why was Rick so nervous about his Fellowship interview?
(a) His editor told him he was a shoe in.
(b) His friends told him he was not cut out for it.
(c) It was a test to him to see if he belonged in educated society.
(d) He wanted it more than anything he had ever wanted.
9. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
(a) A murder in a grocery store.
(b) A young boy getting killed in an accident.
(c) A riot in Miami.
(d) A train wreck with many left dead.
10. In writing about sports, what did Rick come to realize were the only types of stories that he wanted to write?
(b) The ones in which people struggle.
(c) Car racing.
11. What kind of questions did Rick often find himself answering to the students at Harvard?
(a) Questions about the South.
(b) Questions about his stories.
(c) Questions about Haiti.
(d) Questions about racism.
12. What did the woman tell Rick who he met at a seminar at the end of the book?
(a) That one must forget the past and move on.
(b) That from him she learned not to be ashamed of where she came from.
(c) That material items cannot fulfill dreams.
(d) That she should not put on hold the nice things in life.
13. Why was Rick not involved permanently with a woman?
(a) He never learned what real love is.
(b) Women found him too harsh.
(c) He traveled too much.
(d) He did not want to be involved.
14. What did Louis Bolivar make seven days a week in Haiti?
15. Where did Rick travel to the first time he went out of the country to write a story?
(c) Costa Rica.
(d) Desert Storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did momma move out of her new house?
2. How long had momma lived in the little house?
3. Why did Margaret hang Rick's awards on her walls?
4. What did Rick never do alone?
5. Why did Rick quit college?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)