|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rosario told Rick that he confronted the armed man in his store for what reason?
(a) Rosario cannot trust that the robber will take the money without shooting him.
(b) Rosario worries that the robber will shoot up the store.
(c) Rosario has been robbed so many times that he just wants to shoot them.
(d) Rosario knows the police won't help.
2. What story brought Rick back home in 1994?
(a) A gunman who opened fire at a church.
(b) A church that was hit by a tornado.
(c) A hurricane that tore down a school.
(d) A woman who killed her children.
3. What did the woman tell Rick who he met at a seminar at the end of the book?
(a) That from him she learned not to be ashamed of where she came from.
(b) That she should not put on hold the nice things in life.
(c) That material items cannot fulfill dreams.
(d) That one must forget the past and move on.
4. What did Louis Bolivar make seven days a week in Haiti?
5. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
(a) A riot in Miami.
(b) A murder in a grocery store.
(c) A train wreck with many left dead.
(d) A young boy getting killed in an accident.
6. Why was Rick not involved permanently with a woman?
(a) He traveled too much.
(b) He never learned what real love is.
(c) Women found him too harsh.
(d) He did not want to be involved.
7. How long had momma lived in the little house?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Forty years.
(d) Twenty years.
8. What did Sam let Rick do when they finally went fishing?
(a) Reel in the fish Sam caught.
(b) Tell momma Rick caught the fish.
(c) Bait the line.
(d) Cook the fish.
9. What change was made at the NY Times in Rick's first article?
(a) Most of the story.
(b) Much of the grammar.
(c) A comma.
(d) The headline.
10. What had Mark been doing since his fight with Sam?
(a) Living in the old house.
(b) Rebuilding his home.
(d) Drinking more.
11. What part of the NY Times staff helped Rick the most when he first got there?
(a) The fluff piece staff.
(b) The editors.
(c) The news staff.
(d) The photo staff.
12. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
(a) About Siamese twins.
(b) About a woman who dies twenty years after her attack.
(c) About poachers.
(d) About a man who married his daughter.
13. What did Rick never do alone?
(b) Eat jellybeans.
(c) Go to the movies.
(d) Go out to eat.
14. To what does the title "Monsters" refer?
(a) Burning houses.
(b) Insensitive journalists.
(c) The Oklahoma city bombers.
15. What did Rick's wife tell him that scared him out of the marriage?
(a) She did not want him traveling for his stories.
(b) She thought she was pregnant.
(c) He worked too late.
(d) He only cared about his work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does "bodega" mean besides "store"?
2. What did Sam ask from Rick in return for his staying behind in Alabama and Rick going out into the world?
3. When Rick went home in 1988, how long had it been since he spent the holidays there?
4. Why did Rick come to dislike Jimmy Carter?
5. What did Margaret worry about after Rick won his award?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)