|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of a leader was Papa Doc to Haiti?
(b) A savior.
2. What did Rick do for Dirty Red?
(a) He helped him find a good lawyer.
(b) He sent counseling to his home.
(c) He convinced him to tell his story.
(d) He wrote a story about his innocence.
3. Why didn't Rick take the job he wanted at the St. Petersburg Times?
(a) His brother was in trouble again, so he had to go home.
(b) An old friend wanted him to return to the Anniston Star.
(c) His momma got sick, so he had to go home.
(d) His new girlfriend asked him not to.
4. Why did Rick think that he had to take the city reporter's job?
(a) His mother needed the money.
(b) He had a fancy car payment.
(c) He had a wife.
(d) He had to show up the editor that insulted him.
5. To what does the title "Monsters" refer?
(a) The Oklahoma city bombers.
(c) Insensitive journalists.
(d) Burning houses.
6. What kind of stories did Rick write for the St. Petersburg Times while living in St. Petersburg after the Fellowship?
(a) Storm stories.
(b) Political stories.
(c) National stories.
(d) Local stories.
7. What did Sam ask from Rick in return for his staying behind in Alabama and Rick going out into the world?
(a) For Rick to tell him the stories of where he had been.
(b) For Rick to call Mark every six months.
(c) For Rick to send money for momma.
(d) For Rick to be home every year for momma's birthday.
8. What was the wall in Brooklyn that Rick wrote about?
(a) A division between races.
(b) A tribute to the leaders of the gangs.
(c) A memorial to soldiers.
(d) A tribute to those killed in the streets there.
9. Why did Margaret stay home from Abigail's funeral?
(a) She was afraid of churches.
(b) She was afraid to go outside.
(c) She did not have a dress to wear.
(d) She could not handle it.
10. What did Louis Bolivar make seven days a week in Haiti?
11. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
(a) About poachers.
(b) About a man who married his daughter.
(c) About a woman who dies twenty years after her attack.
(d) About Siamese twins.
12. How did Margaret feel about Rick living away from his family most of his life?
(a) She was angry that he did not come home enough.
(b) She was glad that he got out.
(c) She understood that it is for the best.
(d) She was sad that he did not want to come home.
13. What overall statement did Rick make about Miami?
(a) "From beauty to trash, Miami has it all."
(b) "Miami is a crazy city."
(c) "You live and die in Miami."
(d) "Miami is a bad day in paradise."
14. What did Sam let Rick do when they finally went fishing?
(a) Reel in the fish Sam caught.
(b) Bait the line.
(c) Tell momma Rick caught the fish.
(d) Cook the fish.
15. What part of the NY Times staff helped Rick the most when he first got there?
(a) The photo staff.
(b) The news staff.
(c) The fluff piece staff.
(d) The editors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Rick quit college?
2. Why did Rick come to dislike Jimmy Carter?
3. When Rick went home in 1988, how long had it been since he spent the holidays there?
4. What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1990?
5. When did Rick come to realize that Susan was guilty of killing her own children?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)