|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rick do at the old little house that momma did not?
(a) He spit on the ground.
(b) He cried when she leaves it.
(c) He rejoiced that they are gone from it forever.
(d) He walked it one more time.
2. What happened to Mark that kept Margaret shaking for days?
(a) His house burned down, and she didn't know if he was in it.
(b) He went on a drinking binge and disappears.
(c) He went into a rage and burns his house down.
(d) He was arrested for beating someone in a bar.
3. How long had momma lived in the little house?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Forty years.
(d) Ten years.
4. Why did the serial diner keep committing the same crime?
(a) He did not want to be alone.
(b) He liked the attention.
(c) He wanted to be in jail where he got three meals a day.
(d) He believed it makes him famous.
5. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
(a) A murder in a grocery store.
(b) A riot in Miami.
(c) A young boy getting killed in an accident.
(d) A train wreck with many left dead.
6. How big was the property of momma's new house?
(a) 1.3 acres.
(b) Two acres.
(c) Half an acre.
(d) One-third of an acre.
7. What became of Sam?
(a) He worked hard, married, and had children.
(b) He could not hold onto a job or relationship.
(c) He drank himself to death.
(d) He got injured on a job and never worked again.
8. What did Mark build in the woods?
(a) A church.
(b) A shack.
(c) A barn.
(d) A house.
9. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
10. Who picked out momma's new house?
(a) Momma, Uncle Ed and Aunt Nita did.
(b) She did.
(c) Rick, Sam and momma did.
(d) Rick and momma did.
11. What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1990?
(a) He was assassinated.
(b) He was elected for the second time.
(c) He lost the election by poplular vote.
(d) He went into exile.
12. What kind of stories did Rick write for the St. Petersburg Times while living in St. Petersburg after the Fellowship?
(a) National stories.
(b) Local stories.
(c) Political stories.
(d) Storm stories.
13. What was the wall in Brooklyn that Rick wrote about?
(a) A tribute to the leaders of the gangs.
(b) A memorial to soldiers.
(c) A tribute to those killed in the streets there.
(d) A division between races.
14. When did Rick come to realize that Susan was guilty of killing her own children?
(a) When a lead from a girl did not pan out.
(b) Not until the car was found.
(c) Margaret told him that she would have died for her children.
(d) When a TV reporter asked why someone would take the car with kids in it.
15. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
(a) About Siamese twins.
(b) About poachers.
(c) About a man who married his daughter.
(d) About a woman who dies twenty years after her attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Rick when he married?
2. What was the main question that people asked in Rick's hometown after the incident in 1994 that brought him back home to write a story?
3. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
4. How did Margaret react to her trip to New York City?
5. What was Rick's first story about as a news reporter for the Anniston Star?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)