|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Rick when he married?
(a) In his late twenties.
(b) In his mid-twenties.
(c) In his early thirties.
(d) In his early twenties.
2. What part of the NY Times staff helped Rick the most when he first got there?
(a) The photo staff.
(b) The editors.
(c) The news staff.
(d) The fluff piece staff.
3. To what does the title "Monsters" refer?
(a) Burning houses.
(b) The Oklahoma city bombers.
(d) Insensitive journalists.
4. What did Rick say that men did instead of rioting?
(a) They danced.
(b) They watched dog fights.
(c) They played football.
(d) They listened to loud music.
5. What kind of questions did Rick often find himself answering to the students at Harvard?
(a) Questions about Haiti.
(b) Questions about the South.
(c) Questions about racism.
(d) Questions about his stories.
6. What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1990?
(a) He was elected for the second time.
(b) He was assassinated.
(c) He lost the election by poplular vote.
(d) He went into exile.
7. Where did Sam end up finding his career?
(a) At a constuction sight.
(b) At a bar.
(c) At a cottonmill.
(d) At a mechanics shop.
8. What did Rick keep as a reminder of the night he went out on a dangerous story with Sean?
(a) A shirt.
(b) A rock.
(c) A steering wheel.
(d) A copy of the story.
9. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
10. Why was Rick so nervous about his Fellowship interview?
(a) His editor told him he was a shoe in.
(b) His friends told him he was not cut out for it.
(c) It was a test to him to see if he belonged in educated society.
(d) He wanted it more than anything he had ever wanted.
11. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
(a) A riot in Miami.
(b) A young boy getting killed in an accident.
(c) A train wreck with many left dead.
(d) A murder in a grocery store.
12. In writing about sports, what did Rick come to realize were the only types of stories that he wanted to write?
(a) The ones in which people struggle.
(c) Car racing.
13. What change was made at the NY Times in Rick's first article?
(a) The headline.
(b) Much of the grammar.
(c) A comma.
(d) Most of the story.
14. What was different about Thanksgiving in the new house?
(a) Mark came sober.
(b) Momma had guests.
(c) Rick got his own bed.
(d) They all got to sit together in one room.
15. Why did Rick think that he had to take the city reporter's job?
(a) He had to show up the editor that insulted him.
(b) He had a wife.
(c) His mother needed the money.
(d) He had a fancy car payment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What overall statement did Rick make about Miami?
2. What storm stopped Rick from leaving for his Fellowship on the day he was supposed to?
3. What did Rick state as the reason that Mark was sober for the funeral?
4. Why did Susan Smith kill her two boys?
5. After Rick's second trip to Haiti, what promotion did he receive?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)