|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the main question that people asked in Rick's hometown after the incident in 1994 that brought him back home to write a story?
(a) Why would God hurt the poor?
(b) Where was God when it happened?
(c) What had the people done wrong to be punished?
(d) What do we do next?
2. What had Mark been doing since his fight with Sam?
(a) Drinking more.
(b) Living in the old house.
(d) Rebuilding his home.
3. What was the one big award that Rick desired?
(a) The National Correspondent Award.
(b) The Pulitzer Prize.
(c) Peabody Award.
(d) The Nobel Prize.
4. What does perfume on a hog reference to in the chapter of that title?
(a) The North and the South.
(b) Rich and Poor.
(c) Educated and Uneducated.
(d) Harvard and Rick.
5. Why did Margaret stay home from Abigail's funeral?
(a) She was afraid to go outside.
(b) She was afraid of churches.
(c) She could not handle it.
(d) She did not have a dress to wear.
6. What did Rick keep as a reminder of the night he went out on a dangerous story with Sean?
(a) A copy of the story.
(b) A shirt.
(c) A rock.
(d) A steering wheel.
7. Why did Rick come to dislike Jimmy Carter?
(a) He ignored the Amercian soldiers in Haiti.
(b) He only sent funding to Haiti.
(c) He helps keep Aristide away from Haiti.
(d) He brokered peace with the despots of Haiti.
8. When Rick went home in 1988, how long had it been since he spent the holidays there?
(a) Three years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Five years.
9. How big was the property of momma's new house?
(a) Half an acre.
(b) One-third of an acre.
(c) Two acres.
(d) 1.3 acres.
10. How long did Rick work for the L.A. Times?
(a) One year.
(b) One month.
(c) One winter.
(d) One week.
11. How long had momma lived in the little house?
(a) Forty years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Thirty years.
12. What was Margaret's response when Rick told her that he got the Fellowship?
(a) "Does that mean you won't be visting me."
(b) "Lord God, you'll freeze to death."
(c) "Be sure to bring clean clothes."
(d) "I knew you would honey."
13. What story brought Rick back home in 1994?
(a) A hurricane that tore down a school.
(b) A woman who killed her children.
(c) A church that was hit by a tornado.
(d) A gunman who opened fire at a church.
14. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
15. What are the cemeteries like in Haiti?
(a) So full the caretakers don't know where they put people.
(b) Empty because they burn the bodies.
(c) Guarded as no one is allowed in.
(d) Well kept as life is sacred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What change was made at the NY Times in Rick's first article?
2. What became of Sam?
3. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
4. Where did Rick travel to the first time he went out of the country to write a story?
5. What kind of stories did Rick write for the St. Petersburg Times while living in St. Petersburg after the Fellowship?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)