|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sam give Rick to take back to Miami with him?
(a) A sack of pine cones.
(b) Deer meat.
(c) A gun.
(d) A hard hat.
2. Why didn't Rick take the job he wanted at the St. Petersburg Times?
(a) An old friend wanted him to return to the Anniston Star.
(b) His momma got sick, so he had to go home.
(c) His new girlfriend asked him not to.
(d) His brother was in trouble again, so he had to go home.
3. What was Margaret's response when Rick told her that he got the Fellowship?
(a) "I knew you would honey."
(b) "Be sure to bring clean clothes."
(c) "Lord God, you'll freeze to death."
(d) "Does that mean you won't be visting me."
4. Where did Sam end up finding his career?
(a) At a bar.
(b) At a constuction sight.
(c) At a mechanics shop.
(d) At a cottonmill.
5. Why do the soldiers of Haiti randomly shoot the poor?
(a) To sell their bodies back to their families.
(b) To teach others a lesson.
(c) Because the poor cause riots.
(d) Because the poor are beggars and thieves.
6. What did Rick tell him momma that he wrote about?
(a) Gangs in the streets of various cities around the world.
(b) Happy stories.
7. Where did Rick travel to the first time he went out of the country to write a story?
(a) Desert Storm.
(d) Costa Rica.
8. What had Mark been doing since his fight with Sam?
(a) Rebuilding his home.
(b) Living in the old house.
(d) Drinking more.
9. What was different about Thanksgiving in the new house?
(a) Mark came sober.
(b) They all got to sit together in one room.
(c) Rick got his own bed.
(d) Momma had guests.
10. What was the main question that people asked in Rick's hometown after the incident in 1994 that brought him back home to write a story?
(a) Why would God hurt the poor?
(b) Where was God when it happened?
(c) What had the people done wrong to be punished?
(d) What do we do next?
11. What does perfume on a hog reference to in the chapter of that title?
(a) Educated and Uneducated.
(b) Harvard and Rick.
(c) The North and the South.
(d) Rich and Poor.
12. What did the woman tell Rick who he met at a seminar at the end of the book?
(a) That material items cannot fulfill dreams.
(b) That one must forget the past and move on.
(c) That from him she learned not to be ashamed of where she came from.
(d) That she should not put on hold the nice things in life.
13. Why was Rick not involved permanently with a woman?
(a) Women found him too harsh.
(b) He did not want to be involved.
(c) He never learned what real love is.
(d) He traveled too much.
14. Why did Rick think that he had to take the city reporter's job?
(a) He had a fancy car payment.
(b) He had to show up the editor that insulted him.
(c) His mother needed the money.
(d) He had a wife.
15. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rick go home for in the year that he was in Haiti?
2. What was the one big award that Rick desired?
3. What change was made at the NY Times in Rick's first article?
4. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
5. What did Rick say that men did instead of rioting?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)