|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
(a) A murder in a grocery store.
(b) A riot in Miami.
(c) A train wreck with many left dead.
(d) A young boy getting killed in an accident.
2. What kind of questions did Rick often find himself answering to the students at Harvard?
(a) Questions about the South.
(b) Questions about racism.
(c) Questions about Haiti.
(d) Questions about his stories.
3. What story brought Rick back home in 1994?
(a) A woman who killed her children.
(b) A hurricane that tore down a school.
(c) A gunman who opened fire at a church.
(d) A church that was hit by a tornado.
4. What was the main question that people asked in Rick's hometown after the incident in 1994 that brought him back home to write a story?
(a) What do we do next?
(b) Where was God when it happened?
(c) What had the people done wrong to be punished?
(d) Why would God hurt the poor?
5. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
6. What had Mark been doing since his fight with Sam?
(a) Rebuilding his home.
(c) Drinking more.
(d) Living in the old house.
7. What else does "bodega" mean besides "store"?
(a) Financial freedom.
(b) Hard work.
(d) Freedom, respect, and dignity.
8. What was the one big award that Rick desired?
(a) The Pulitzer Prize.
(b) Peabody Award.
(c) The National Correspondent Award.
(d) The Nobel Prize.
9. Where did Rick travel to the first time he went out of the country to write a story?
(a) Desert Storm.
(c) Costa Rica.
10. When does Rick NOT want to be buried?
(b) During football season.
(c) During Nascar.
(d) During the rainy season.
11. How did Sam feel about Rick going off to his Fellowship?
12. How did Margaret react to her trip to New York City?
(a) She was too afraid to really experience it.
(b) She was speechless.
(c) All she wanted to do was to go home.
(d) She was thrilled and astonished.
13. How long had momma lived in the little house?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Forty years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Thirty years.
14. Why didn't Rick take the job he wanted at the St. Petersburg Times?
(a) His brother was in trouble again, so he had to go home.
(b) An old friend wanted him to return to the Anniston Star.
(c) His momma got sick, so he had to go home.
(d) His new girlfriend asked him not to.
15. What did Rick never do alone?
(b) Eat jellybeans.
(c) Go to the movies.
(d) Go out to eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rick compare time lost to?
2. What did Rick say about his mother's attendance at his wedding?
3. What did Mark build in the woods?
4. Why was Rick so nervous about his Fellowship interview?
5. Why did momma move out of her new house?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)