|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the cemeteries like in Haiti?
(a) Guarded as no one is allowed in.
(b) Empty because they burn the bodies.
(c) Well kept as life is sacred.
(d) So full the caretakers don't know where they put people.
2. What else does "bodega" mean besides "store"?
(a) Financial freedom.
(b) Freedom, respect, and dignity.
(c) Hard work.
3. Who picked out momma's new house?
(a) Momma, Uncle Ed and Aunt Nita did.
(b) She did.
(c) Rick and momma did.
(d) Rick, Sam and momma did.
4. What did the eighty-seven year old Miss McCarty do with the money she saved over her lifetime?
(a) Gave it to the Red Cross to help the poor.
(b) Gave it to the local police to protect the poor.
(c) Gave it to the local university for scholarships for the poor.
(d) Gave it to the church to feed the poor.
5. What did Rick do for Dirty Red?
(a) He convinced him to tell his story.
(b) He sent counseling to his home.
(c) He helped him find a good lawyer.
(d) He wrote a story about his innocence.
6. What did the woman tell Rick who he met at a seminar at the end of the book?
(a) That she should not put on hold the nice things in life.
(b) That from him she learned not to be ashamed of where she came from.
(c) That material items cannot fulfill dreams.
(d) That one must forget the past and move on.
7. Why did Margaret stay home from Abigail's funeral?
(a) She was afraid to go outside.
(b) She could not handle it.
(c) She was afraid of churches.
(d) She did not have a dress to wear.
8. What does perfume on a hog reference to in the chapter of that title?
(a) Harvard and Rick.
(b) The North and the South.
(c) Rich and Poor.
(d) Educated and Uneducated.
9. How did Margaret feel about Rick living away from his family most of his life?
(a) She was glad that he got out.
(b) She understood that it is for the best.
(c) She was angry that he did not come home enough.
(d) She was sad that he did not want to come home.
10. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
(a) About a man who married his daughter.
(b) About poachers.
(c) About Siamese twins.
(d) About a woman who dies twenty years after her attack.
11. How long did Rick work for the L.A. Times?
(a) One year.
(b) One month.
(c) One winter.
(d) One week.
12. What was Margaret's response when Rick told her that he got the Fellowship?
(a) "I knew you would honey."
(b) "Lord God, you'll freeze to death."
(c) "Be sure to bring clean clothes."
(d) "Does that mean you won't be visting me."
13. What became of Sam?
(a) He drank himself to death.
(b) He got injured on a job and never worked again.
(c) He could not hold onto a job or relationship.
(d) He worked hard, married, and had children.
14. What did Margaret do at the buffet in New York City that both surprised and amused Rick?
(a) She took three entrees.
(b) She asked a waiter to get her food.
(c) She took five desserts.
(d) She walked around and around without taking anything.
15. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
(a) A new wardrobe.
(b) A vacation.
(c) A car.
(d) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Margaret react to her trip to New York City?
2. What did Rick's wife tell him that scared him out of the marriage?
3. Why did the serial diner keep committing the same crime?
4. Where did Rick travel to the first time he went out of the country to write a story?
5. What did Rick keep as a reminder of the night he went out on a dangerous story with Sean?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)