|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Rick lose his job at the Birmingham paper?
(a) He chose to cover only certain stories.
(b) He called out sick a lot.
(c) He became too full of himself.
(d) He had a fight with his boss.
2. In writing about sports, what did Rick come to realize were the only types of stories that he wanted to write?
(a) Car racing.
(d) The ones in which people struggle.
3. How did Margaret feel about Rick living away from his family most of his life?
(a) She was glad that he got out.
(b) She understood that it is for the best.
(c) She was angry that he did not come home enough.
(d) She was sad that he did not want to come home.
4. Why was Rick so nervous about his Fellowship interview?
(a) His friends told him he was not cut out for it.
(b) It was a test to him to see if he belonged in educated society.
(c) He wanted it more than anything he had ever wanted.
(d) His editor told him he was a shoe in.
5. How did Rick compare himself to his father?
(a) He said they are completely different.
(b) He said that he is a winner and his father a loser.
(c) He said that his father's faults made him a better man.
(d) He said that in many ways they were the same.
6. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
(a) About a woman who dies twenty years after her attack.
(b) About Siamese twins.
(c) About poachers.
(d) About a man who married his daughter.
7. Why did the serial diner keep committing the same crime?
(a) He believed it makes him famous.
(b) He did not want to be alone.
(c) He liked the attention.
(d) He wanted to be in jail where he got three meals a day.
8. What kind of a leader was Papa Doc to Haiti?
(c) A savior.
9. How did everyone treat Margaret at the acceptance dinner for Rick's award?
(a) With kid gloves.
(b) They paid her homage for the son that she raised.
(c) Mostly, they stayed away.
(d) They were loud and overwhelming.
10. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
(b) The South.
11. What was the wall in Brooklyn that Rick wrote about?
(a) A tribute to the leaders of the gangs.
(b) A tribute to those killed in the streets there.
(c) A division between races.
(d) A memorial to soldiers.
12. What did Margaret do at the buffet in New York City that both surprised and amused Rick?
(a) She walked around and around without taking anything.
(b) She took three entrees.
(c) She took five desserts.
(d) She asked a waiter to get her food.
13. When did Rick come to realize that Susan was guilty of killing her own children?
(a) Margaret told him that she would have died for her children.
(b) When a lead from a girl did not pan out.
(c) Not until the car was found.
(d) When a TV reporter asked why someone would take the car with kids in it.
14. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
(a) A murder in a grocery store.
(b) A riot in Miami.
(c) A young boy getting killed in an accident.
(d) A train wreck with many left dead.
15. Where did Rick travel to the first time he went out of the country to write a story?
(b) Costa Rica.
(d) Desert Storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rick compare time lost to?
2. What does perfume on a hog reference to in the chapter of that title?
3. What overall statement did Rick make about Miami?
4. What kind of stories did Rick write for the St. Petersburg Times while living in St. Petersburg after the Fellowship?
5. What did the young South Carolina woman say happened to her two boys?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)