|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Rick direct Chapter 40 to as he talked about momma's new house?
(c) His father.
(d) Charlie, his mother's father.
2. What did Margaret worry about after Rick won his award?
(a) Having him stay away for longer periods of time.
(b) Rick getting rougher writing assignments.
(c) People noticing her more.
(d) Having her picture taken.
3. Why did Susan Smith kill her two boys?
(a) She did not want to take care of them anymore.
(b) To keep a relationship with a rich man.
(c) She thought the world is too cruel for them.
(d) To keep them away from their father.
4. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
(a) A murder in a grocery store.
(b) A train wreck with many left dead.
(c) A young boy getting killed in an accident.
(d) A riot in Miami.
5. What did Mark build in the woods?
(a) A church.
(b) A house.
(c) A barn.
(d) A shack.
6. What part of the NY Times staff helped Rick the most when he first got there?
(a) The fluff piece staff.
(b) The photo staff.
(c) The news staff.
(d) The editors.
7. What did Rick do for Dirty Red?
(a) He wrote a story about his innocence.
(b) He convinced him to tell his story.
(c) He helped him find a good lawyer.
(d) He sent counseling to his home.
8. What are the cemeteries like in Haiti?
(a) Empty because they burn the bodies.
(b) So full the caretakers don't know where they put people.
(c) Guarded as no one is allowed in.
(d) Well kept as life is sacred.
9. Where did Sam end up finding his career?
(a) At a bar.
(b) At a mechanics shop.
(c) At a constuction sight.
(d) At a cottonmill.
10. What does perfume on a hog reference to in the chapter of that title?
(a) The North and the South.
(b) Harvard and Rick.
(c) Rich and Poor.
(d) Educated and Uneducated.
11. What was the wall in Brooklyn that Rick wrote about?
(a) A tribute to those killed in the streets there.
(b) A memorial to soldiers.
(c) A tribute to the leaders of the gangs.
(d) A division between races.
12. What was Margaret's response when Rick told her that he got the Fellowship?
(a) "I knew you would honey."
(b) "Be sure to bring clean clothes."
(c) "Does that mean you won't be visting me."
(d) "Lord God, you'll freeze to death."
13. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
(a) A house.
(b) A new wardrobe.
(c) A car.
(d) A vacation.
14. Why didn't Rick take the job he wanted at the St. Petersburg Times?
(a) An old friend wanted him to return to the Anniston Star.
(b) His brother was in trouble again, so he had to go home.
(c) His new girlfriend asked him not to.
(d) His momma got sick, so he had to go home.
15. What did Rick never do alone?
(a) Eat jellybeans.
(c) Go out to eat.
(d) Go to the movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. In writing about sports, what did Rick come to realize were the only types of stories that he wanted to write?
2. How did Margaret feel about Rick living away from his family most of his life?
3. Why was Rick not involved permanently with a woman?
4. Who picked out momma's new house?
5. What did Rick tell him momma that he wrote about?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)