|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Rick's first story about as a news reporter for the Anniston Star?
(a) Football players who suffered from concussions.
(b) Race car drivers killed on the track.
(c) Gang members who were shot to death.
(d) Deer hunters who were killing each other by accident.
2. What part of the NY Times staff helped Rick the most when he first got there?
(a) The news staff.
(b) The editors.
(c) The fluff piece staff.
(d) The photo staff.
3. How long had momma lived in the little house?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Forty years.
(d) Ten years.
4. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
(a) The South.
5. Who picked out momma's new house?
(a) She did.
(b) Rick, Sam and momma did.
(c) Rick and momma did.
(d) Momma, Uncle Ed and Aunt Nita did.
6. What did Rick's wife tell him that scared him out of the marriage?
(a) She did not want him traveling for his stories.
(b) He worked too late.
(c) He only cared about his work.
(d) She thought she was pregnant.
7. How old was Rick when he married?
(a) In his early twenties.
(b) In his late twenties.
(c) In his mid-twenties.
(d) In his early thirties.
8. What change was made at the NY Times in Rick's first article?
(a) A comma.
(b) Most of the story.
(c) The headline.
(d) Much of the grammar.
9. Rosario told Rick that he confronted the armed man in his store for what reason?
(a) Rosario cannot trust that the robber will take the money without shooting him.
(b) Rosario worries that the robber will shoot up the store.
(c) Rosario knows the police won't help.
(d) Rosario has been robbed so many times that he just wants to shoot them.
10. How did everyone treat Margaret at the acceptance dinner for Rick's award?
(a) They were loud and overwhelming.
(b) They paid her homage for the son that she raised.
(c) Mostly, they stayed away.
(d) With kid gloves.
11. What did Rick's new friends at Harvard teach him?
(a) You can't go through life looking back at the past.
(b) You can't go through life hating people.
(c) You can't go through life wishing things were different.
(d) You can't go through life hating people who had it easier than you.
12. After Rick's second trip to Haiti, what promotion did he receive?
(a) National correspondent to the West.
(b) International correspondent to Iran.
(c) International correspondent to Turkey.
(d) National correspondent to the South.
13. What did Rick state as the reason that Mark was sober for the funeral?
(a) Mark grieved like good men do.
(b) Mark didn't want his family to see him drunk.
(c) Mark was trying to get sober for his mother.
(d) Mark did it out of respect for his grandmother.
14. What did Sam ask from Rick in return for his staying behind in Alabama and Rick going out into the world?
(a) For Rick to call Mark every six months.
(b) For Rick to send money for momma.
(c) For Rick to tell him the stories of where he had been.
(d) For Rick to be home every year for momma's birthday.
15. What did Rick never do alone?
(a) Eat jellybeans.
(b) Go out to eat.
(c) Go to the movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story brought Rick back home in 1994?
2. To what does the title "Monsters" refer?
3. What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1990?
4. What happened to Rick when he was out on the boat in the Everglades?
5. Why did Margaret hang Rick's awards on her walls?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)