|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What overall statement did Rick make about Miami?
(a) "Miami is a crazy city."
(b) "From beauty to trash, Miami has it all."
(c) "Miami is a bad day in paradise."
(d) "You live and die in Miami."
2. What kind of people did Rick write about from Immokalee, Florida?
(a) Crew bosses.
(c) The homeless.
(d) Poor migrant workers who drank too much.
3. When did Rick come to realize that Susan was guilty of killing her own children?
(a) When a TV reporter asked why someone would take the car with kids in it.
(b) Margaret told him that she would have died for her children.
(c) When a lead from a girl did not pan out.
(d) Not until the car was found.
4. What did the woman tell Rick who he met at a seminar at the end of the book?
(a) That one must forget the past and move on.
(b) That material items cannot fulfill dreams.
(c) That she should not put on hold the nice things in life.
(d) That from him she learned not to be ashamed of where she came from.
5. What did Sam let Rick do when they finally went fishing?
(a) Reel in the fish Sam caught.
(b) Tell momma Rick caught the fish.
(c) Cook the fish.
(d) Bait the line.
6. In writing about sports, what did Rick come to realize were the only types of stories that he wanted to write?
(c) Car racing.
(d) The ones in which people struggle.
7. What did Rick say that men did instead of rioting?
(a) They watched dog fights.
(b) They listened to loud music.
(c) They danced.
(d) They played football.
8. Why did Rick quit college?
(a) He got a job as a reporter.
(b) He did not feel like he is learning enough.
(c) He did not like it.
(d) He can't handle the work load.
9. How long did Rick work for the L.A. Times?
(a) One week.
(b) One winter.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
10. What did Rick do at the old little house that momma did not?
(a) He walked it one more time.
(b) He spit on the ground.
(c) He cried when she leaves it.
(d) He rejoiced that they are gone from it forever.
11. What had Mark been doing since his fight with Sam?
(a) Drinking more.
(b) Rebuilding his home.
(d) Living in the old house.
12. What did Rick claim as the highlight of his stay in Tampa?
(a) A story about a chicken named Mopsy.
(b) A serial killer.
(c) The hurricanes.
(d) A surfer named Topsy.
13. How did Margaret react to her trip to New York City?
(a) All she wanted to do was to go home.
(b) She was thrilled and astonished.
(c) She was speechless.
(d) She was too afraid to really experience it.
14. What was the wall in Brooklyn that Rick wrote about?
(a) A division between races.
(b) A memorial to soldiers.
(c) A tribute to the leaders of the gangs.
(d) A tribute to those killed in the streets there.
15. What kind of questions did Rick often find himself answering to the students at Harvard?
(a) Questions about the South.
(b) Questions about racism.
(c) Questions about his stories.
(d) Questions about Haiti.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Margaret's response when Rick told her that he got the Fellowship?
2. What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1990?
3. How did Rick compare himself to his father?
4. Why did Susan Smith kill her two boys?
5. Why did Rick lose his job at the Birmingham paper?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)