|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had momma lived in the little house?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Forty years.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Twenty years.
2. What change was made at the NY Times in Rick's first article?
(a) The headline.
(b) Much of the grammar.
(c) A comma.
(d) Most of the story.
3. What part of the NY Times staff helped Rick the most when he first got there?
(a) The news staff.
(b) The fluff piece staff.
(c) The editors.
(d) The photo staff.
4. What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1990?
(a) He was elected for the second time.
(b) He was assassinated.
(c) He lost the election by poplular vote.
(d) He went into exile.
5. Rosario told Rick that he confronted the armed man in his store for what reason?
(a) Rosario knows the police won't help.
(b) Rosario worries that the robber will shoot up the store.
(c) Rosario has been robbed so many times that he just wants to shoot them.
(d) Rosario cannot trust that the robber will take the money without shooting him.
6. To what does the title "Monsters" refer?
(a) The Oklahoma city bombers.
(b) Insensitive journalists.
(c) Burning houses.
7. Why was Rick so nervous about his Fellowship interview?
(a) His friends told him he was not cut out for it.
(b) His editor told him he was a shoe in.
(c) It was a test to him to see if he belonged in educated society.
(d) He wanted it more than anything he had ever wanted.
8. How did Sam feel about Rick going off to his Fellowship?
9. Why did Margaret hang Rick's awards on her walls?
(a) She was vain.
(b) To convince herself that it is real.
(c) It represented validation.
(d) To prove to others that her son was a good boy.
10. When did Rick come to realize that Susan was guilty of killing her own children?
(a) When a lead from a girl did not pan out.
(b) When a TV reporter asked why someone would take the car with kids in it.
(c) Not until the car was found.
(d) Margaret told him that she would have died for her children.
11. Why did Susan Smith kill her two boys?
(a) She did not want to take care of them anymore.
(b) She thought the world is too cruel for them.
(c) To keep a relationship with a rich man.
(d) To keep them away from their father.
12. What kind of a leader was Papa Doc to Haiti?
(d) A savior.
13. How did everyone treat Margaret at the acceptance dinner for Rick's award?
(a) They paid her homage for the son that she raised.
(b) Mostly, they stayed away.
(c) With kid gloves.
(d) They were loud and overwhelming.
14. What does perfume on a hog reference to in the chapter of that title?
(a) Educated and Uneducated.
(b) Rich and Poor.
(c) The North and the South.
(d) Harvard and Rick.
15. Where was Rick working in the winter of 1964 as Chapter 16 opened?
(a) The Jacksonvill News.
(b) The Boston Herald.
(c) The Chicago Tribune.
(d) The New York Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did momma feel about Mark's jail terms?
2. Why didn't Rick take the job he wanted at the St. Petersburg Times?
3. How big was the property of momma's new house?
4. What did the young South Carolina woman say happened to her two boys?
5. What did Mark build in the woods?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)