|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of people did Rick write about from Immokalee, Florida?
(b) The homeless.
(c) Crew bosses.
(d) Poor migrant workers who drank too much.
2. How did Rick compare himself to his father?
(a) He said that in many ways they were the same.
(b) He said they are completely different.
(c) He said that his father's faults made him a better man.
(d) He said that he is a winner and his father a loser.
3. What did Sam let Rick do when they finally went fishing?
(a) Bait the line.
(b) Cook the fish.
(c) Tell momma Rick caught the fish.
(d) Reel in the fish Sam caught.
4. What did Rick state as the reason that Mark was sober for the funeral?
(a) Mark grieved like good men do.
(b) Mark did it out of respect for his grandmother.
(c) Mark was trying to get sober for his mother.
(d) Mark didn't want his family to see him drunk.
5. Who picked out momma's new house?
(a) Rick, Sam and momma did.
(b) Momma, Uncle Ed and Aunt Nita did.
(c) Rick and momma did.
(d) She did.
6. Where did Rick travel to the first time he went out of the country to write a story?
(c) Desert Storm.
(d) Costa Rica.
7. What did Rick say that men did instead of rioting?
(a) They watched dog fights.
(b) They played football.
(c) They danced.
(d) They listened to loud music.
8. Rosario told Rick that he confronted the armed man in his store for what reason?
(a) Rosario knows the police won't help.
(b) Rosario cannot trust that the robber will take the money without shooting him.
(c) Rosario has been robbed so many times that he just wants to shoot them.
(d) Rosario worries that the robber will shoot up the store.
9. Who did Rick direct Chapter 40 to as he talked about momma's new house?
(a) Charlie, his mother's father.
(d) His father.
10. What did Rick do at the old little house that momma did not?
(a) He rejoiced that they are gone from it forever.
(b) He walked it one more time.
(c) He cried when she leaves it.
(d) He spit on the ground.
11. How did Sam feel about Rick going off to his Fellowship?
12. What did Margaret worry about after Rick won his award?
(a) Having her picture taken.
(b) People noticing her more.
(c) Having him stay away for longer periods of time.
(d) Rick getting rougher writing assignments.
13. Why do the soldiers of Haiti randomly shoot the poor?
(a) To teach others a lesson.
(b) To sell their bodies back to their families.
(c) Because the poor are beggars and thieves.
(d) Because the poor cause riots.
14. What else does "bodega" mean besides "store"?
(a) Freedom, respect, and dignity.
(c) Hard work.
(d) Financial freedom.
15. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
(a) About Siamese twins.
(b) About a woman who dies twenty years after her attack.
(c) About a man who married his daughter.
(d) About poachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Rick come to realize that Susan was guilty of killing her own children?
2. What change was made at the NY Times in Rick's first article?
3. What did the eighty-seven year old Miss McCarty do with the money she saved over her lifetime?
4. In writing about sports, what did Rick come to realize were the only types of stories that he wanted to write?
5. How did Rick try to buy his way into heaven?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)