|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Rick when he married?
(a) In his early twenties.
(b) In his early thirties.
(c) In his late twenties.
(d) In his mid-twenties.
2. What did Rick compare time lost to?
(a) A quarter in an unlucky slot machine.
(b) A lost piece of jewelry.
(c) A bad piece of fruit.
(d) A poor night's sleep.
3. How did everyone treat Margaret at the acceptance dinner for Rick's award?
(a) They were loud and overwhelming.
(b) Mostly, they stayed away.
(c) With kid gloves.
(d) They paid her homage for the son that she raised.
4. What storm stopped Rick from leaving for his Fellowship on the day he was supposed to?
(a) Hurricane Katrina.
(b) Hurricane Francis.
(c) Hurricane Andrew.
(d) Hurricane Charlie.
5. Where did Sam end up finding his career?
(a) At a bar.
(b) At a constuction sight.
(c) At a mechanics shop.
(d) At a cottonmill.
6. What overall statement did Rick make about Miami?
(a) "Miami is a crazy city."
(b) "From beauty to trash, Miami has it all."
(c) "Miami is a bad day in paradise."
(d) "You live and die in Miami."
7. What did Rick never do alone?
(b) Go to the movies.
(c) Eat jellybeans.
(d) Go out to eat.
8. What kind of people did Rick write about from Immokalee, Florida?
(a) The homeless.
(b) Poor migrant workers who drank too much.
(c) Crew bosses.
9. Why did Rick lose his job at the Birmingham paper?
(a) He called out sick a lot.
(b) He chose to cover only certain stories.
(c) He became too full of himself.
(d) He had a fight with his boss.
10. Why do the soldiers of Haiti randomly shoot the poor?
(a) Because the poor are beggars and thieves.
(b) To sell their bodies back to their families.
(c) Because the poor cause riots.
(d) To teach others a lesson.
11. What did momma feel about Mark's jail terms?
12. What did Sam wear to his grandmother's funeral?
(a) A suit jacket.
(b) A shirt and tie.
(c) A formal suit.
(d) Blue jeans and clean work boots.
13. How did Sam feel about Rick going off to his Fellowship?
14. What did Louis Bolivar make seven days a week in Haiti?
15. How long did Rick work for the L.A. Times?
(a) One week.
(b) One year.
(c) One winter.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Rick's second trip to Haiti, what promotion did he receive?
2. When does Rick NOT want to be buried?
3. What was Rick's first story about as a news reporter for the Anniston Star?
4. Who picked out momma's new house?
5. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)