|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rick never do alone?
(a) Go to the movies.
(c) Go out to eat.
(d) Eat jellybeans.
2. What did Rick say about his mother's attendance at his wedding?
(a) He wished she had been there.
(b) He thought she was too frightened.
(c) He wished she had worn nicer clothing.
(d) He had never seen her so dressed up before.
3. How long did Rick work for the L.A. Times?
(a) One winter.
(b) One week.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
4. Why was Rick so nervous about his Fellowship interview?
(a) His friends told him he was not cut out for it.
(b) It was a test to him to see if he belonged in educated society.
(c) He wanted it more than anything he had ever wanted.
(d) His editor told him he was a shoe in.
5. What else does "bodega" mean besides "store"?
(b) Hard work.
(c) Freedom, respect, and dignity.
(d) Financial freedom.
6. Why did Susan Smith kill her two boys?
(a) To keep a relationship with a rich man.
(b) To keep them away from their father.
(c) She thought the world is too cruel for them.
(d) She did not want to take care of them anymore.
7. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
(a) About poachers.
(b) About Siamese twins.
(c) About a man who married his daughter.
(d) About a woman who dies twenty years after her attack.
8. What did Sam ask from Rick in return for his staying behind in Alabama and Rick going out into the world?
(a) For Rick to be home every year for momma's birthday.
(b) For Rick to tell him the stories of where he had been.
(c) For Rick to send money for momma.
(d) For Rick to call Mark every six months.
9. What happened to Mark that kept Margaret shaking for days?
(a) He was arrested for beating someone in a bar.
(b) His house burned down, and she didn't know if he was in it.
(c) He went on a drinking binge and disappears.
(d) He went into a rage and burns his house down.
10. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
11. What did Sam give Rick to take back to Miami with him?
(a) Deer meat.
(b) A hard hat.
(c) A gun.
(d) A sack of pine cones.
12. How did Rick try to buy his way into heaven?
(a) By buying his brother a business.
(b) By buying his momma a pair of dentures.
(c) By buying his ex-wife a baby carriage.
(d) By buying his girlfriend a car.
13. Why did the serial diner keep committing the same crime?
(a) He wanted to be in jail where he got three meals a day.
(b) He believed it makes him famous.
(c) He did not want to be alone.
(d) He liked the attention.
14. Why did Margaret stay home from Abigail's funeral?
(a) She was afraid to go outside.
(b) She did not have a dress to wear.
(c) She could not handle it.
(d) She was afraid of churches.
15. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
(a) A murder in a grocery store.
(b) A train wreck with many left dead.
(c) A riot in Miami.
(d) A young boy getting killed in an accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the eighty-seven year old Miss McCarty do with the money she saved over her lifetime?
2. What became of Sam?
3. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
4. Why did Rick quit college?
5. What part of the NY Times staff helped Rick the most when he first got there?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)