|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What change was made at the NY Times in Rick's first article?
(a) Most of the story.
(b) A comma.
(c) Much of the grammar.
(d) The headline.
2. Why did the serial diner keep committing the same crime?
(a) He did not want to be alone.
(b) He believed it makes him famous.
(c) He liked the attention.
(d) He wanted to be in jail where he got three meals a day.
3. How big was the property of momma's new house?
(a) One-third of an acre.
(b) Two acres.
(c) Half an acre.
(d) 1.3 acres.
4. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
(d) The South.
5. What did Margaret do at the buffet in New York City that both surprised and amused Rick?
(a) She asked a waiter to get her food.
(b) She took three entrees.
(c) She walked around and around without taking anything.
(d) She took five desserts.
6. After Rick's second trip to Haiti, what promotion did he receive?
(a) International correspondent to Turkey.
(b) National correspondent to the West.
(c) International correspondent to Iran.
(d) National correspondent to the South.
7. Why did Rick lose his job at the Birmingham paper?
(a) He chose to cover only certain stories.
(b) He had a fight with his boss.
(c) He called out sick a lot.
(d) He became too full of himself.
8. Why did Margaret hang Rick's awards on her walls?
(a) To convince herself that it is real.
(b) She was vain.
(c) It represented validation.
(d) To prove to others that her son was a good boy.
9. When Rick went home in 1988, how long had it been since he spent the holidays there?
(a) Three years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Five years.
10. How long did Rick work for the L.A. Times?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) One year.
(d) One winter.
11. What did Rick's new friends at Harvard teach him?
(a) You can't go through life wishing things were different.
(b) You can't go through life hating people.
(c) You can't go through life looking back at the past.
(d) You can't go through life hating people who had it easier than you.
12. What did Rick go home for in the year that he was in Haiti?
(c) Grandma's death.
(d) The birth of Sam's son.
13. Why did Rick think that he had to take the city reporter's job?
(a) His mother needed the money.
(b) He had to show up the editor that insulted him.
(c) He had a wife.
(d) He had a fancy car payment.
14. Where was Rick working in the winter of 1964 as Chapter 16 opened?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Boston Herald.
(d) The Jacksonvill News.
15. What did Sam give Rick to take back to Miami with him?
(a) A hard hat.
(b) A gun.
(c) Deer meat.
(d) A sack of pine cones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Rick quit college?
2. How did Margaret react to her trip to New York City?
3. What was Rick's first story about as a news reporter for the Anniston Star?
4. What did Rick's wife tell him that scared him out of the marriage?
5. Why did Rick come to dislike Jimmy Carter?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)