|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Ruby Banks when she first met her father?
2. According to residents of the Flats, who typically raised a young girl's first child?
3. How many children did Billy have?
4. How many children did Yvonne Diamond have when she moved to the Flats?
5. According to Stack, who did anthropologists consider people kinsman of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
2. According to Stack, how do those in the Flats view marriage?
3. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
4. According to residents of the Flats, what is the difference between a mama and a mother?
5. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
6. According to Stack, How do relationships with kin complicate relationships with boyfriends or girlfriends?
7. According to Stack, what role does respect play in a person having rights to another person's child?
8. How is motherhood viewed in the Flats?
9. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
10. What happened when the AFDC learned of Magnolia's inheritance from her uncle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the housing situation in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Domestic networks can be very complex. Discuss the complexities of the domestic networks. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
There is a common belief that the American society requires having a group of unemployed workers. Discuss why this is, using examples from the book.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)