|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Clover Greer's daughter?
2. What was name of Clover's son?
3. How much money did Ivy's boyfriend put down on her ring when they got engaged?
4. What was the name of Clover's husband?
5. When 188 mothers were surveyed on who they would choose to raise their children if they died what was the top choice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Julia and Elliot's life when Elliot lost his job?
2. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
3. What happened when the home that Sam Summer was living in had a leaky gas line?
4. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
5. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
6. What happened when the AFDC learned of Magnolia's inheritance from her uncle?
7. According to Stack, how do those in the Flats view marriage?
8. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
9. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
10. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss social networks in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Stack says are the differences between kin and family.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)