|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When 188 mothers were surveyed on who they would choose to raise their children if they died what was the top choice?
2. What was the name of the cousin that Julia Ambrose lived with?
3. How old was Lottie James when she got pregnant?
4. How old was Bernard Smith when he went to live with his father?
5. How old was Magnolia Waters when she met Calvin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the home that Sam Summer was living in had a leaky gas line?
2. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
3. According to Stack, how does joblessness impact relationships between men and women?
4. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
5. What happened when the AFDC learned of Magnolia's inheritance from her uncle?
6. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
7. According to Stack, what circumstances would cause a family to split up?
8. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
9. What is child keeping?
10. What is the difference between essential kin and relatives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book discuss whether or not Stack was able to be accepted within the community.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the status of health care in the Flats when "All Our Kin" was written.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from "All Our Kin" discuss whether it is possible for those in the Flats to change their society from within.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)