|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Otis stay with Ruby's uncle?
2. What was the name of Clover's husband?
3. What is the total number of children that Magnolia and Calvin had?
4. How much did the AFDC give Magnolia and Calvin for rent each month?
5. How old was Magnolia Waters when she met Calvin?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, how do those in the Flats view marriage?
2. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
3. What is child keeping?
4. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
5. According to Stack, what circumstances would cause a family to split up?
6. According to Stack, How do relationships with kin complicate relationships with boyfriends or girlfriends?
7. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
8. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
9. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
10. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that the AFDC plays in keeping people from developing strong relationships between men and women.
Essay Topic 2
There is a common belief that the American society requires having a group of unemployed workers. Discuss why this is, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)