|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Magnolia's niece borrow to pay her phone bill?
2. Where did Michael Lee work?
3. How many sisters did Magnolia have?
4. How many of the 188 AFDC mothers surveyed by Stack were raising their own children?
5. What is the total number of children that Magnolia and Calvin had?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, what role does respect play in a person having rights to another person's child?
2. What happened when the home that Sam Summer was living in had a leaky gas line?
3. What is child keeping?
4. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
5. According to residents of the Flats, what is the difference between a mama and a mother?
6. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
7. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
8. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
9. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
10. How is motherhood viewed in the Flats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the housing situation in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Swapping plays a very important role in the Flats. Describe why swapping was such a necessary part of life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that the AFDC plays in keeping people from developing strong relationships between men and women.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)