|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Ruby Banks?
2. According to residents of the Flats, who typically raised a young girl's first child?
3. Who moved in with Amanda Johnson's family to help out when they were struggling?
4. Who bought Amanda Johnson's clothes when she was a child?
5. Who did Violet leave her two older children with when she moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
2. According to Stack, what role does respect play in a person having rights to another person's child?
3. What is child keeping?
4. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
5. According to Stack, How do relationships with kin complicate relationships with boyfriends or girlfriends?
6. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
7. According to Stack, how do those in the Flats view marriage?
8. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
9. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
10. What happened when the home that Sam Summer was living in had a leaky gas line?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Stack say is the conflict between having a black identity and trying to live the American dream?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from "All Our Kin" discuss whether it is possible for those in the Flats to change their society from within.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the status of health care in the Flats when "All Our Kin" was written.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)