|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Stack's survey, what percent of recognized "mamas" were a child's natural mother?
2. How much did Ann offer to pay Georgia to watch her daughter?
3. How old was Ruby Banks when she first met her father?
4. According to Stack's survey what percent of fathers in the Flats openly acknowledged their children?
5. Who wrote that "the job fails the man, and the man fails the job"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, what role does respect play in a person having rights to another person's child?
2. According to Stack, how are domestic networks formed and why do they changed?
3. What happened when the AFDC learned of Magnolia's inheritance from her uncle?
4. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
5. What happened when the home that Sam Summer was living in had a leaky gas line?
6. What part does child keeping play in the ever changing living situations of the families in the Flats?
7. How is motherhood viewed in the Flats?
8. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
9. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
10. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stack's study was much different than other studies conducted in the Flats. Discuss why her research methods were so much different.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
Essay Topic 3
Many who viewed themselves as leaders in the black community were highly regarded by those in the white community, but looked down on in their own community. Why was this?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)