|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the man who Billy considered to be her father?
2. How old was Yvonne Diamond?
3. What were Ann's sisters names?
4. According to Stack, how did mothers typically view the fathers of their children?
5. According to Stack, how did people in the Flats acquire kin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between essential kin and relatives?
2. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
3. According to Stack, how does joblessness impact relationships between men and women?
4. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
5. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
6. How is motherhood viewed in the Flats?
7. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
8. What happened when the AFDC learned of Magnolia's inheritance from her uncle?
9. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
10. According to Stack, what circumstances would cause a family to split up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
Essay Topic 2
What does Stack say is the conflict between having a black identity and trying to live the American dream?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)