|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the 188 AFDC mothers surveyed by Stack were raising their own children?
2. How did Lottie's mother feel when she found out her daughter was pregnant?
3. How many children did Geraldine Penney have?
4. How many children did Ruby have?
5. How much money did Ivy's boyfriend put down on her ring when they got engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, how are domestic networks formed and why do they changed?
2. According to Stack, what role does respect play in a person having rights to another person's child?
3. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
4. According to Stack, how does joblessness impact relationships between men and women?
5. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
6. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
7. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
8. What is child keeping?
9. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
10. What part does child keeping play in the ever changing living situations of the families in the Flats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from "All Our Kin" discuss whether it is possible for those in the Flats to change their society from within.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Stack says about the stereotypes that were placed on blacks. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Swapping plays a very important role in the Flats. Describe why swapping was such a necessary part of life.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)