|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Ann offer to pay Georgia to watch her daughter?
2. How old was Yvonne Diamond?
3. How many children did Claudia Williams have?
4. How much money did Magnolia's niece borrow to pay her phone bill?
5. What were children encouraged to do when visiting their fathers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
2. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
3. According to Stack, how does joblessness impact relationships between men and women?
4. How is motherhood viewed in the Flats?
5. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
6. What happened in Julia and Elliot's life when Elliot lost his job?
7. What part does child keeping play in the ever changing living situations of the families in the Flats?
8. According to Stack, what circumstances would cause a family to split up?
9. What is the difference between essential kin and relatives?
10. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a common belief that the American society requires having a group of unemployed workers. Discuss why this is, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Domestic networks can be very complex. Discuss the complexities of the domestic networks. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Parental roles in the Flats can extend to many people beyond the natural mother and father. Discuss how the parental roles are determined and who can hold these roles.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)