|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Ivy's boyfriend put down on her ring when they got engaged?
2. What was the name of Claudia Williams children's father?
3. Who was Loretta Smart raised by until she turned five?
4. How much money did Magnolia inherit from her uncle?
5. Who wrote that "the job fails the man, and the man fails the job"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to residents of the Flats, what is the difference between a mama and a mother?
2. What happened in Julia and Elliot's life when Elliot lost his job?
3. According to Stack, how do those in the Flats view marriage?
4. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
5. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
6. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
7. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
8. What is the difference between essential kin and relatives?
9. According to Stack, what circumstances would cause a family to split up?
10. What happened when the AFDC learned of Magnolia's inheritance from her uncle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact that joblessness plays in the lives of the black community in the Flats.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book discuss whether or not Stack was able to be accepted within the community.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Stack says about how "pigeonholing" black families into white ideals affects how they are viewed? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)