|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stack, who did anthropologists consider people kinsman of?
2. How old was Magnolia Waters when she met Calvin?
3. What is the total number of children that Magnolia and Calvin had?
4. Who did Violet leave her two older children with when she moved?
5. How much did Ann offer to pay Georgia to watch her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
2. According to Stack, what role does respect play in a person having rights to another person's child?
3. What happened in Julia and Elliot's life when Elliot lost his job?
4. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
5. What is child keeping?
6. According to Stack, what circumstances would cause a family to split up?
7. According to residents of the Flats, what is the difference between a mama and a mother?
8. How is motherhood viewed in the Flats?
9. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
10. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss social networks in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the housing situation in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What does Stack say is the conflict between having a black identity and trying to live the American dream?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)