|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Billy have?
2. How old was Loretta when she went to live with her mother?
3. According to Stack's survey, what percent of children lived with their fathers kin at some point in their lives?
4. What was the name of Claudia Williams children's father?
5. Who was Loretta Smart raised by until she turned five?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, how does joblessness impact relationships between men and women?
2. According to Stack, what role does respect play in a person having rights to another person's child?
3. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
4. According to Stack, what circumstances would cause a family to split up?
5. How is motherhood viewed in the Flats?
6. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
7. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
8. What happened in Julia and Elliot's life when Elliot lost his job?
9. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
10. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Stack says about how "pigeonholing" black families into white ideals affects how they are viewed? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Stack says about the stereotypes that were placed on blacks. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)