|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Otis stay with Ruby's uncle?
2. How old was Ruby Banks?
3. How many people were living in Lydia Watson's home when her sisters family moved in?
4. What was the name of Julia's second child's father?
5. How old was Ruby when her first child was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is motherhood viewed in the Flats?
2. According to Stack, what role does respect play in a person having rights to another person's child?
3. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
4. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
5. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
6. What part does child keeping play in the ever changing living situations of the families in the Flats?
7. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
8. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
9. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
10. According to Stack, How do relationships with kin complicate relationships with boyfriends or girlfriends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
Essay Topic 2
Stack's study was much different than other studies conducted in the Flats. Discuss why her research methods were so much different.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not the black community in the Flats was able to successfully live apart from the white community. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)