|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Ruby when her first child was born?
2. What was the name of Clover Greer's daughter?
3. According to Stack, how did people in the Flats acquire kin?
4. For about how many years did Magnolia's sister Lydia remove herself from the family?
5. According to Stack's survey, what percent of children lived with their fathers kin at some point in their lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
2. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
3. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
4. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
5. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
6. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
7. According to Stack, what circumstances would cause a family to split up?
8. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
9. According to Stack, how do those in the Flats view marriage?
10. What happened in Julia and Elliot's life when Elliot lost his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Stack say is the conflict between having a black identity and trying to live the American dream?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether or not the black community in the Flats was able to successfully live apart from the white community. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Stack says about how "pigeonholing" black families into white ideals affects how they are viewed? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)