|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months pregnant was Julia when she moved in with her mother?
2. How much money did Ivy's boyfriend put down on her ring when they got engaged?
3. How many of the 188 AFDC mothers surveyed by Stack were raising their own children?
4. What was Ivy Rodgers boyfriends name?
5. Who did Violet leave her two older children with when she moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
2. According to Stack, how does joblessness impact relationships between men and women?
3. According to Stack, how are domestic networks formed and why do they changed?
4. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
5. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
6. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
7. According to residents of the Flats, what is the difference between a mama and a mother?
8. What happened when the AFDC learned of Magnolia's inheritance from her uncle?
9. What is the difference between essential kin and relatives?
10. How is motherhood viewed in the Flats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from "All Our Kin" discuss whether it is possible for those in the Flats to change their society from within.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact that joblessness plays in the lives of the black community in the Flats.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)