|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Stack's survey, what percent of recognized "mamas" were a child's natural mother?
2. What was the name of the man who Billy considered to be her father?
3. What were Ann's sisters names?
4. What days of the week did Amanda stay with her uncle?
5. How much did the AFDC give Magnolia and Calvin for rent each month?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
2. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
3. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
4. What happened when the home that Sam Summer was living in had a leaky gas line?
5. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
6. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
7. According to Stack, how are domestic networks formed and why do they changed?
8. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
9. How is motherhood viewed in the Flats?
10. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that the AFDC plays in keeping people from developing strong relationships between men and women.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Stack says about how "pigeonholing" black families into white ideals affects how they are viewed? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)