|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stack, how did people in the Flats acquire kin?
2. How long did Julia's second child's father work at the factory before getting laid off?
3. How did Lottie's mother feel when she found out her daughter was pregnant?
4. What were children encouraged to do when visiting their fathers?
5. How much money did Magnolia inherit from her uncle?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, how are domestic networks formed and why do they changed?
2. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
3. What happened when the home that Sam Summer was living in had a leaky gas line?
4. What happened when the AFDC learned of Magnolia's inheritance from her uncle?
5. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
6. How is motherhood viewed in the Flats?
7. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
8. What is the difference between essential kin and relatives?
9. What is child keeping?
10. According to Stack, what circumstances would cause a family to split up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Swapping plays a very important role in the Flats. Describe why swapping was such a necessary part of life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the status of health care in the Flats when "All Our Kin" was written.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book discuss whether or not Stack was able to be accepted within the community.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)