|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stack's survey what percent of fathers in the Flats openly acknowledged their children?
2. According to residents of the Flats, who typically raised a young girl's first child?
3. How much did Ann offer to pay Georgia to watch her daughter?
4. How old was Loretta when she went to live with her mother?
5. How old was Ruby Banks?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, how are domestic networks formed and why do they changed?
2. What happened when the AFDC learned of Magnolia's inheritance from her uncle?
3. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
4. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
5. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
6. According to Stack, what role does respect play in a person having rights to another person's child?
7. According to residents of the Flats, what is the difference between a mama and a mother?
8. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
9. According to Stack, how do those in the Flats view marriage?
10. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Stack says about how "pigeonholing" black families into white ideals affects how they are viewed? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether or not the black community in the Flats was able to successfully live apart from the white community. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Stack's study was much different than other studies conducted in the Flats. Discuss why her research methods were so much different.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)