|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Henrietta Davis's mother take care of Henrietta's children?
2. How long was Magnolia given by the AFDC to spend the inheritance she received from her uncle?
3. According to Stack's survey, what percent of children lived with their mothers kin at some point in their lives?
4. Who moved in with Amanda Johnson's family to help out when they were struggling?
5. Who took Loretta in when she turned five?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Julia and Elliot's life when Elliot lost his job?
2. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
3. What is child keeping?
4. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
5. According to Stack, what role does respect play in a person having rights to another person's child?
6. According to Stack, how are domestic networks formed and why do they changed?
7. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
8. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
9. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
10. According to residents of the Flats, what is the difference between a mama and a mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from "All Our Kin" discuss whether it is possible for those in the Flats to change their society from within.
Essay Topic 2
Stack's study was much different than other studies conducted in the Flats. Discuss why her research methods were so much different.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)