|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Clover Greer's daughter?
2. How old was Magnolia Waters when she met Calvin?
3. According to Stack, how did people in the Flats acquire kin?
4. How much money did Magnolia inherit from her uncle?
5. What female family member did Georgia and her children live with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
2. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
3. According to Stack, how do those in the Flats view marriage?
4. What is the difference between essential kin and relatives?
5. What part does child keeping play in the ever changing living situations of the families in the Flats?
6. According to Stack, how are domestic networks formed and why do they changed?
7. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
8. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
9. What happened when the home that Sam Summer was living in had a leaky gas line?
10. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Domestic networks can be very complex. Discuss the complexities of the domestic networks. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact that joblessness plays in the lives of the black community in the Flats.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)