|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Clover Greer when she had her first child?
2. How old was Loretta when she went to live with her mother?
3. What were the house numbers on Cricket St. where most of Michael's kin lived?
4. For how long did Violet leave her children with her relative?
5. What was the name of Julia's second child's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
2. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
3. What is the difference between essential kin and relatives?
4. What happened when the AFDC learned of Magnolia's inheritance from her uncle?
5. According to Stack, how are domestic networks formed and why do they changed?
6. According to Stack, How do relationships with kin complicate relationships with boyfriends or girlfriends?
7. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
8. According to Stack, how do those in the Flats view marriage?
9. According to residents of the Flats, what is the difference between a mama and a mother?
10. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether or not the black community in the Flats was able to successfully live apart from the white community. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Domestic networks can be very complex. Discuss the complexities of the domestic networks. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)