|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Julia's second child's father work at the factory before getting laid off?
2. Who bought Amanda Johnson's clothes when she was a child?
3. What were Ann's sisters names?
4. How long did Otis stay with Ruby's uncle?
5. Who moved in with Amanda Johnson's family to help out when they were struggling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
2. According to Stack, how are domestic networks formed and why do they changed?
3. According to Stack, How do relationships with kin complicate relationships with boyfriends or girlfriends?
4. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
5. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
6. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
7. According to Stack, how does joblessness impact relationships between men and women?
8. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
9. What part does child keeping play in the ever changing living situations of the families in the Flats?
10. According to Stack, how do those in the Flats view marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book discuss whether or not Stack was able to be accepted within the community.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Stack says are the differences between kin and family.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Stack says about how "pigeonholing" black families into white ideals affects how they are viewed? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)