|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long did Violet leave her children with her relative?
2. Who did Terence Platt live with when he was a child?
3. How much did Ann offer to pay Georgia to watch her daughter?
4. How old was Lottie James when she got pregnant?
5. What was Ivy Rodgers boyfriends name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
2. According to residents of the Flats, what is the difference between a mama and a mother?
3. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
4. According to Stack, How do relationships with kin complicate relationships with boyfriends or girlfriends?
5. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
6. According to Stack, how do those in the Flats view marriage?
7. What is the difference between essential kin and relatives?
8. According to Stack, how does joblessness impact relationships between men and women?
9. What part does child keeping play in the ever changing living situations of the families in the Flats?
10. According to Stack, how are domestic networks formed and why do they changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many who viewed themselves as leaders in the black community were highly regarded by those in the white community, but looked down on in their own community. Why was this?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
Essay Topic 3
There is a common belief that the American society requires having a group of unemployed workers. Discuss why this is, using examples from the book.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)