|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Geraldine Penney have?
2. How old was Magnolia Waters when she met Calvin?
3. How old was Ruby Banks when she first met her father?
4. Who was Loretta Smart raised by until she turned five?
5. According to residents of the Flats, who typically raised a young girl's first child?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
2. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
3. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
4. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
5. According to residents of the Flats, what is the difference between a mama and a mother?
6. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
7. What part does child keeping play in the ever changing living situations of the families in the Flats?
8. According to Stack, what circumstances would cause a family to split up?
9. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
10. What happened when the home that Sam Summer was living in had a leaky gas line?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the status of health care in the Flats when "All Our Kin" was written.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss social networks in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Stack says about how "pigeonholing" black families into white ideals affects how they are viewed? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)