|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were welfare benefits designed to help?
(d) Women and children.
2. In what decade did Stack begin her study?
3. In what part of the country is the Flats located?
(a) The north.
(b) The south.
(c) The west.
(d) The midwest.
4. What was the main goal of the black activist organization in the Flats?
(a) To prevent discrimination.
(b) To take care of the children.
(c) To protect the people of the community.
(d) To prevent biased research studies.
5. How was the person that Ruby traded corn bread and greens with related to her?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did Stack live in the Flats?
2. How much of the AFDC money did Ruby give her mom?
3. What type of strategies was Stack studying in the Flats?
4. How did people in the Flats increase their social circle?
5. Who did Ruby trade corn bread and greens with so that she could get milk and diapers?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, what are seen as the requirements to be able to escape poverty?
2. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
3. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
4. In the Flats many people do not seek treatment from a doctor, why is this?
5. How did most researchers find the subjects that they studied?
6. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
7. What happened in Julia and Elliot's life when Elliot lost his job?
8. According to Stack, what negative things are attributed to poor families?
9. What is the Jackson families' economic situation like?
10. What was Stack's housing situation like in the Flats?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)