|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first family that Stack met in the Flats?
(a) John and Sylvia Waters.
(b) Leo and Viola Jackson.
(c) Magnolia and Calvin Waters.
(d) Ruby and Otis Jackson.
2. How did people in the Flats refer to their friends and neighbors?
(b) By their surnames.
(c) By their first names.
(d) By a nicknames.
3. What didn't Ruby believe in?
(c) Having friends.
4. In the Flats kin feel a lot of pressure to help each other. Why is this?
(a) Because of the kins neediness.
(b) It is necessary to survive.
(c) They are viewed as greedy if they don't.
(d) Because of their relationship.
5. What is the Jackson family's average income?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the US Census, what percent of black deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
2. According to Stack, what do most studies of black families compare themselves to?
3. In what year did Stack begin her study?
4. What does Stack call the inability to understand and research?
5. What does William Ryan say causes the deterioration of most black families?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
2. What is the Jackson families' economic situation like?
3. What types of people did Stack focus her study on?
4. What part does child keeping play in the ever changing living situations of the families in the Flats?
5. According to Stack, what role do fathers typically play in their child's life?
6. What is child keeping?
7. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
8. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
9. What is the difference between essential kin and relatives?
10. How did Stack define family in the Flats?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)