|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the goal of the spokesmen in the Flats?
(a) To get assistance from the government.
(b) To help their community.
(c) To enlighten others to their plight.
(d) To present a better image of themselves to the white community.
2. What percentage of the black population in Jackson Harbor is unemployed?
3. Who did residents of the Flats refer to by their surnames?
(a) Their social workers.
(b) Residents of the Flats.
(c) People outside the community.
(d) Their friends.
4. How many years had the Jacksons been in the Flats when Stack met them?
5. How much of the AFDC money did Ruby give her mom?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
2. What causes a necessity for exchanging things and services in the Flats?
3. How was Stack's car a hindrance to her?
4. What type of jobs are typically available to those in the Flats?
5. What did those in the Flats usually call trading?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Jackson families' economic situation like?
2. Why did Stack feel that it was important to find average citizens of the Flats to study?
3. How were nicknames developed in the Flats?
4. What was Stack's purpose in writing this book?
5. What was Stack's first year in the Flats like?
6. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
7. How do people in the Flats involve others in their daily lives?
8. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
9. What types of things do those in the Flats swap?
10. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)