|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a symbol of trust in the Flats?
(a) Large kin groups.
(b) Temporary child exchange.
(c) Helping others.
(d) Getting to know new people.
2. What was the main goal of the black activist organization in the Flats?
(a) To take care of the children.
(b) To prevent biased research studies.
(c) To prevent discrimination.
(d) To protect the people of the community.
3. Who says that the culture of poverty is political in nature?
(a) Carol Stack.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Hylan Lewis.
(d) Elliott Stickler.
4. Who was the second family that Stack met in the Flats?
(a) John and Sylvia Waters
(b) Leo and Viola Jackson.
(c) Magnolia and Calvin Waters.
(d) Ruby and Otis Jackson.
5. According to the US Census what percent of blacks live in deteriorating housing?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Stack protect the identities of those she interviewed?
2. How much money did the AFDC send Ruby to get a new couch?
3. Why do people in the Flats want to expand their group of kin?
4. Who wrote the book "Method and Measurement in Sociology"?
5. In the Flats kin feel a lot of pressure to help each other. Why is this?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Flats many people do not seek treatment from a doctor, why is this?
2. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
3. How did Stack conduct the interviews that she personally handled?
4. How did Stack use her assistants to gather data?
5. Why is temporary child exchange seen as a sign of trust?
6. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
7. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
8. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
9. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
10. Why is it argued that the economic model of the US is dependent on low-skilled and low-wage workers?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)