|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the relationship of a researcher and his subjects resemble?
(a) Oppressor and oppressed.
(b) Teacher and student.
2. How many years did Stack live in the Flats?
3. How does the US Census classify Jackson Harbor?
(a) Urbanized area.
(b) Poor area.
(d) Small community.
4. Who did Ruby trade corn bread and greens with so that she could get milk and diapers?
(a) Virginia Thomas.
(b) Carol Stack.
(c) Magnolia Waters.
(d) Joann Allen.
5. What is a family called when a mother is the head?
(a) Mother in charge.
(b) Mother run family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does AFDC stand for?
2. What is Leo Jackson's job?
3. What type of jobs are typically available to those in the Flats?
4. How did Stack come in contact with the families she studied?
5. According to Stack's findings, at what age do most blacks no longer have most of their original teeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the communities' view of people who borrow things from others and don't lend things in return?
2. How did Stack define family in the Flats?
3. Why is it argued that the economic model of the US is dependent on low-skilled and low-wage workers?
4. Why does swapping play such an important role in the Flats?
5. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
6. What was Stack's purpose in writing this book?
7. What types of people did Stack focus her study on?
8. How did Stack conduct the interviews that she personally handled?
9. How do people in the Flats feel about sacrificing what they have for their kin?
10. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)