|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Stack change names and locations in the book?
(a) To protect identities.
(b) To keep them from getting kicked off welfare.
(c) To protect them from the mainstream.
(d) Because they asked her too.
2. Who did Stack want to establish contact with?
(a) Single women.
(b) Poor families.
(c) Men in power.
(d) Single men.
3. How was Stack's car a hindrance to her?
(a) It caused the families to become dependent on her.
(b) It was dangerous.
(c) It broke down constantly.
(d) It was unreliable.
4. How does the US Census classify Jackson Harbor?
(a) Poor area.
(c) Urbanized area.
(d) Small community.
5. Who says that the culture of poverty is political in nature?
(a) Carol Stack.
(b) Elliott Stickler.
(c) Hylan Lewis.
(d) John Adams.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of the AFDC money did Ruby give her mom?
2. How many other researchers had conducted studies in the Flats during the decade in which Stack conducted her study?
3. How were people who refused to swap viewed?
4. What is the title of William Ryan's book?
5. What did Ruby do with the rest of the AFDC money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is health care like in the Flats?
2. Why is temporary child exchange seen as a sign of trust?
3. How were nicknames developed in the Flats?
4. What is the Jackson families' economic situation like?
5. What were the causes that the black community was fighting for?
6. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
7. How did Stack define family in the Flats?
8. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
9. How did most researchers find the subjects that they studied?
10. What was Stack's first year in the Flats like?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)