|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Flats kin feel a lot of pressure to help each other. Why is this?
(a) They are viewed as greedy if they don't.
(b) Because of their relationship.
(c) Because of the kins neediness.
(d) It is necessary to survive.
2. According to Stack, what do most studies of black families compare themselves to?
(a) White families.
(b) Their past culture.
(c) Mainstream society.
(d) The status quo.
3. What does AFDC stand for?
(a) Aid to Families with Dependent Children.
(b) Aid to Fund Dependecy Collections.
(c) All of Future Dependency Construction.
(d) Area of Future Development Construction.
4. Why did those in the Flats need cooperative support?
(a) To make life easier.
(b) To gain kin.
(c) To survive.
(d) To help each other.
5. How were those who claimed to be the black leaders of the Flats viewed in their community?
(d) As very important.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did residents of the Flats refer to by their surnames?
2. What is a family with both a mother and father called?
3. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
4. What does Stack call the inability to understand and research?
5. How did people in the Flats refer to their friends and neighbors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Stack feel that it was important to find average citizens of the Flats to study?
2. How is motherhood viewed in the Flats?
3. According to Stack, How do relationships with kin complicate relationships with boyfriends or girlfriends?
4. What happened in Julia and Elliot's life when Elliot lost his job?
5. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
6. What is child keeping?
7. According to Stack, how are domestic networks formed and why do they changed?
8. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
9. How did Stack use her assistants to gather data?
10. According to Stack, what are seen as the requirements to be able to escape poverty?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)