|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were welfare benefits designed to help?
(c) Women and children.
2. Why do people in the Flats want to expand their group of kin?
(a) To get a hand up.
(b) To have more people who are obligated to help them.
(c) To be more social.
(d) To gain friends.
3. What causes a necessity for exchanging things and services in the Flats?
4. What is the Jackson family's average income?
5. What was the main goal of the black activist organization in the Flats?
(a) To take care of the children.
(b) To prevent biased research studies.
(c) To protect the people of the community.
(d) To prevent discrimination.
6. What parts of life in the Flats are completely intertwined?
(a) Social and economic.
(b) Economic and personal.
(c) Personal and professional.
(d) Family and social.
7. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
(a) Mainstream society.
(b) Lack of jobs.
(c) The government
(d) Lack of education.
8. What percent of blacks live in unfit housing according to the US Census?
9. What does William Ryan say causes the deterioration of most black families?
(a) Economic stress and discrimination.
(c) Lack of resources.
(d) The nature of the American economy.
10. What is Viola Jackson's job?
11. What affects a person's perception?
(a) Their intelligence.
(c) Their upbringing.
12. How old was Julia?
13. What connects Jackson Harbor to Chicago?
(a) A major highway.
(b) A major rail line.
(c) A neighborhood.
(d) A gravel road.
14. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
15. What is a family called when a mother is the head?
(b) Mother run family.
(d) Mother in charge.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stack, what common belief do most studies of blacks reinforce?
2. In the Flats kin feel a lot of pressure to help each other. Why is this?
3. Why did Stack change names and locations in the book?
4. What was the age range of most of the adults Stack studied?
5. In what part of the country is the Flats located?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)