|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of jobs are typically available to those in the Flats?
(a) Low paying.
(d) Long term.
2. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
(a) Lack of jobs.
(b) Mainstream society.
(c) Lack of education.
(d) The government
3. Where did Stack meet the girl that introduced her to the families in the Flats?
(a) In the grocery store.
(b) At her university.
(c) While doing laundry.
(d) While babysitting for a friend.
4. What are 63% of the black citizens in Jackson Harbor employed as?
(b) Service workers.
(d) Maintenance workers.
5. Who did Stack want to establish contact with?
(a) Poor families.
(b) Men in power.
(c) Single women.
(d) Single men.
6. What type of people did researchers establish contact with?
(b) Leaders of the community.
(c) Women in power.
(d) Men in power.
7. What did those in the Flats usually call trading?
8. What does AFDC stand for?
(a) Aid to Fund Dependecy Collections.
(b) Area of Future Development Construction.
(c) Aid to Families with Dependent Children.
(d) All of Future Dependency Construction.
9. What percentage of Jackson Harbor's population is black?
10. What causes the poor to create ways to cope with circumstances out of their control?
(a) The white community.
(b) The nature of the American economy.
(d) Their lack of resources.
11. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
12. Who wrote the book "Method and Measurement in Sociology"?
13. How did people in the Flats refer to their friends and neighbors?
(a) By their surnames.
(c) By a nicknames.
(d) By their first names.
14. Why did those in the Flats need cooperative support?
(a) To survive.
(b) To make life easier.
(c) To help each other.
(d) To gain kin.
15. How does the US Census classify Jackson Harbor?
(b) Poor area.
(c) Urbanized area.
(d) Small community.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percent of blacks live in unfit housing according to the US Census?
2. How much of the AFDC money did Ruby give her mom?
3. In the Flats kin feel a lot of pressure to help each other. Why is this?
4. Who did researchers usually establish their first contacts with?
5. In what decade did Stack begin her study?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)