|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do people in the Flats want to expand their group of kin?
(a) To gain friends.
(b) To be more social.
(c) To get a hand up.
(d) To have more people who are obligated to help them.
2. What is another term for welfare?
3. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
4. How were those who claimed to be the black leaders of the Flats viewed in their community?
(d) As very important.
5. How many years had the Jacksons been in the Flats when Stack met them?
6. Who writes about "kindred being an ego-centered group"?
7. When did Stack's book on the migration of blacks to the north get published?
8. What was the main goal of the black activist organization in the Flats?
(a) To protect the people of the community.
(b) To prevent biased research studies.
(c) To take care of the children.
(d) To prevent discrimination.
9. What is a symbol of trust in the Flats?
(a) Helping others.
(b) Temporary child exchange.
(c) Large kin groups.
(d) Getting to know new people.
10. What was Julia's cousin's name?
11. How did people in the Flats increase their social circle?
(a) Helping others.
(b) Making friends.
(c) Talking to new people.
(d) Through swapping.
12. According to Stack, what do most studies of the poor black communities not acknowledge?
(a) Their ability to think outside the box.
(b) Their ingenuity.
(c) Their dependency on kin.
(d) Their resourcefulness.
13. What is a family called when a mother is the head?
(a) Mother in charge.
(c) Mother run family.
14. What percentage of Jackson Harbor's population is black?
15. According to Stack's findings, at what age do most blacks no longer have most of their original teeth?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the poor to create ways to cope with circumstances out of their control?
2. According to the US Census what percent of blacks live in deteriorating housing?
3. Who wrote "Tomorrow's Tomorrow"?
4. Who was the first family that Stack met in the Flats?
5. What was the goal of the spokesmen in the Flats?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)