|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does AFDC stand for?
(a) All of Future Dependency Construction.
(b) Area of Future Development Construction.
(c) Aid to Families with Dependent Children.
(d) Aid to Fund Dependecy Collections.
2. Why did those in the Flats need cooperative support?
(a) To help each other.
(b) To survive.
(c) To gain kin.
(d) To make life easier.
3. Who did Stack want to establish contact with?
(a) Poor families.
(b) Single women.
(c) Men in power.
(d) Single men.
4. What is Viola Jackson's job?
5. How does the US Census classify Jackson Harbor?
(b) Poor area.
(c) Small community.
(d) Urbanized area.
6. What is a family called when a mother is the head?
(b) Mother run family.
(d) Mother in charge.
7. Who wrote "Tomorrow's Tomorrow"?
(a) Joyce Ladner.
(b) Carol Stack.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Elliot Stickler.
8. What is another term for welfare?
9. What was the age range of most of the adults Stack studied?
10. According to Stack, what do most studies of the poor black communities not acknowledge?
(a) Their dependency on kin.
(b) Their ingenuity.
(c) Their ability to think outside the box.
(d) Their resourcefulness.
11. Who did Ruby trade corn bread and greens with so that she could get milk and diapers?
(a) Magnolia Waters.
(b) Virginia Thomas.
(c) Joann Allen.
(d) Carol Stack.
12. What causes a necessity for exchanging things and services in the Flats?
13. What is a symbol of trust in the Flats?
(a) Helping others.
(b) Large kin groups.
(c) Getting to know new people.
(d) Temporary child exchange.
14. According to the US Census what percent of blacks live in deteriorating housing?
15. What was Julia's cousin's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
2. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
3. What does the relationship of a researcher and his subjects resemble?
4. How much of the AFDC money did Ruby give her mom?
5. What causes the poor to create ways to cope with circumstances out of their control?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)