|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the poor to create ways to cope with circumstances out of their control?
(b) Their lack of resources.
(c) The white community.
(d) The nature of the American economy.
2. In what decade did Stack begin her study?
3. What does William Ryan say causes the deterioration of most black families?
(a) Economic stress and discrimination.
(b) Lack of resources.
(c) The nature of the American economy.
4. What was the main goal of the black activist organization in the Flats?
(a) To prevent discrimination.
(b) To prevent biased research studies.
(c) To take care of the children.
(d) To protect the people of the community.
5. What didn't Ruby believe in?
(d) Having friends.
6. What type of people did researchers establish contact with?
(a) Leaders of the community.
(b) Women in power.
(d) Men in power.
7. How were those who claimed to be the black leaders of the Flats viewed in their community?
(d) As very important.
8. Who was the second family that Stack met in the Flats?
(a) Ruby and Otis Jackson.
(b) Magnolia and Calvin Waters.
(c) Leo and Viola Jackson.
(d) John and Sylvia Waters
9. How often did kin exchange items and services?
(b) Daily, sometimes hourly.
10. What was the most common thing those in the black community experienced when interacting with a white person?
(a) They were looked down on.
(b) Unfair treatment.
11. Who wrote the book "Method and Measurement in Sociology"?
12. What is the population of Jackson Harbor?
13. What percentage of Jackson Harbor's population is black?
14. What did Ruby do with the rest of the AFDC money?
(a) Buy food.
(b) Buy a couch.
(c) Buy new clothes.
(d) Wash clothes.
15. What is the name of Stack's son?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stack meet the girl that introduced her to the families in the Flats?
2. How many assistants did Stack have helping her with her study?
3. Who did Ruby trade corn bread and greens with so that she could get milk and diapers?
4. Why did those in the Flats need cooperative support?
5. What percentage of the black population in Jackson Harbor is unemployed?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)