|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Julia's cousin's name?
2. In what decade did Stack begin her study?
3. How was Stack's car a hindrance to her?
(a) It was dangerous.
(b) It was unreliable.
(c) It broke down constantly.
(d) It caused the families to become dependent on her.
4. According to Stack, what do most studies of the poor black communities not acknowledge?
(a) Their ability to think outside the box.
(b) Their ingenuity.
(c) Their resourcefulness.
(d) Their dependency on kin.
5. What percentage of the black population in Jackson Harbor is unemployed?
6. Who did researchers usually establish their first contacts with?
(a) Leaders of the community.
7. Who wrote "The Souls of Black Folk"?
(a) John Goodnough.
(b) Carol Stack.
(c) W.E.B. DuBois.
(d) John. Allen.
8. What is another term for welfare?
9. How does the US Census classify Jackson Harbor?
(a) Small community.
(b) Urbanized area.
(d) Poor area.
10. What causes the poor to create ways to cope with circumstances out of their control?
(a) The nature of the American economy.
(c) Their lack of resources.
(d) The white community.
11. How old was Julia?
12. When did Stack's book on the migration of blacks to the north get published?
13. What is Leo Jackson's job?
(b) Truck driver.
(c) Hod carrier.
(d) Construction worker.
14. Who writes about "kindred being an ego-centered group"?
15. According to the US Census what percent of blacks live in deteriorating housing?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did people in the Flats refer to their friends and neighbors?
2. What is a family with both a mother and father called?
3. How long did it take for Magnolia and Calvin Waters inheritance to be spent?
4. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
5. What was the most common thing those in the black community experienced when interacting with a white person?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)