|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Stack change names and locations in the book?
(a) To protect identities.
(b) Because they asked her too.
(c) To keep them from getting kicked off welfare.
(d) To protect them from the mainstream.
2. In what part of the country is the Flats located?
(a) The midwest.
(b) The north.
(c) The south.
(d) The west.
3. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
4. Why do people in the Flats want to expand their group of kin?
(a) To get a hand up.
(b) To have more people who are obligated to help them.
(c) To gain friends.
(d) To be more social.
5. According to Stack, what do most studies of the poor black communities not acknowledge?
(a) Their dependency on kin.
(b) Their resourcefulness.
(c) Their ability to think outside the box.
(d) Their ingenuity.
6. What is the population of Jackson Harbor?
7. How much money did the AFDC send Ruby to get a new couch?
8. Who did Ruby trade corn bread and greens with so that she could get milk and diapers?
(a) Joann Allen.
(b) Magnolia Waters.
(c) Virginia Thomas.
(d) Carol Stack.
9. Why did those in the Flats need cooperative support?
(a) To make life easier.
(b) To help each other.
(c) To survive.
(d) To gain kin.
10. According to the US Census what percent of blacks live in deteriorating housing?
11. What is the Jackson family's average income?
12. What does Stack call the inability to understand and research?
(a) Failure to understand.
(d) Lack of ability.
13. Who were welfare benefits designed to help?
(d) Women and children.
14. What is another term for welfare?
15. What type of strategies was Stack studying in the Flats?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of William Ryan's book?
2. What connects Jackson Harbor to Chicago?
3. What did those in the Flats usually call trading?
4. What causes the poor to create ways to cope with circumstances out of their control?
5. What does AFDC stand for?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)