|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another term for welfare?
2. Where did Stack meet the girl that introduced her to the families in the Flats?
(a) While doing laundry.
(b) While babysitting for a friend.
(c) At her university.
(d) In the grocery store.
3. How were those who claimed to be the black leaders of the Flats viewed in their community?
(b) As very important.
4. What type of people did researchers establish contact with?
(b) Men in power.
(c) Leaders of the community.
(d) Women in power.
5. What affects a person's perception?
(a) Their upbringing.
(d) Their intelligence.
6. How do those being studied in a community usually view a researcher?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As a friend.
(c) As family.
(d) As an outsider.
7. How many children do the Jacksons have?
8. Who were welfare benefits designed to help?
(d) Women and children.
9. What are 63% of the black citizens in Jackson Harbor employed as?
(a) Service workers.
(c) Maintenance workers.
10. How many years did Stack live in the Flats?
11. What was Julia's cousin's name?
12. According to Stack's findings, at what age do most blacks no longer have most of their original teeth?
13. What percentage of the black population in Jackson Harbor is unemployed?
14. How often did kin exchange items and services?
(d) Daily, sometimes hourly.
15. Who did Ruby trade corn bread and greens with so that she could get milk and diapers?
(a) Virginia Thomas.
(b) Magnolia Waters.
(c) Carol Stack.
(d) Joann Allen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leo Jackson's job?
2. How did people in the Flats increase their social circle?
3. According to the US Census, what percent of white deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
4. Who was the first family that Stack met in the Flats?
5. According to Stack, what do most studies of black families compare themselves to?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)