|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percentage of Jackson Harbor's population is black?
2. What is the population of Jackson Harbor?
3. How many years did Stack live in the Flats?
4. What does the relationship of a researcher and his subjects resemble?
(a) Oppressor and oppressed.
(d) Teacher and student.
5. What is a symbol of trust in the Flats?
(a) Large kin groups.
(b) Helping others.
(c) Getting to know new people.
(d) Temporary child exchange.
6. How were people who refused to swap viewed?
7. How were those who claimed to be the black leaders of the Flats viewed in their community?
(b) As very important.
8. According to Stack, what do most studies of the poor black communities not acknowledge?
(a) Their ingenuity.
(b) Their dependency on kin.
(c) Their resourcefulness.
(d) Their ability to think outside the box.
9. What is the necessary income for a family of four in Jackson Harbor?
10. How old was Julia?
11. Who did Ruby trade corn bread and greens with so that she could get milk and diapers?
(a) Virginia Thomas.
(b) Carol Stack.
(c) Joann Allen.
(d) Magnolia Waters.
12. What percent of blacks live in unfit housing according to the US Census?
13. What is the title of William Ryan's book?
(a) The Role of Blacks as Victims.
(b) Blaming the Victim.
(c) Victims in Charge.
(d) The Blame Game.
14. Where did Stack meet the girl that introduced her to the families in the Flats?
(a) At her university.
(b) While doing laundry.
(c) In the grocery store.
(d) While babysitting for a friend.
15. What is another term for welfare?
Short Answer Questions
1. What parts of life in the Flats are completely intertwined?
2. What type of jobs are typically available to those in the Flats?
3. What was the most common thing those in the black community experienced when interacting with a white person?
4. Who did Stack want to establish contact with?
5. How many assistants did Stack have helping her with her study?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)