|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did researchers usually establish their first contacts with?
(a) Leaders of the community.
2. What percentage of Jackson Harbor's population is black?
3. How many assistants did Stack have helping her with her study?
4. What is the population of Jackson Harbor?
5. What is Leo Jackson's job?
(a) Truck driver.
(c) Construction worker.
(d) Hod carrier.
6. Who did residents of the Flats refer to by their surnames?
(a) People outside the community.
(b) Residents of the Flats.
(c) Their social workers.
(d) Their friends.
7. What percentage of the black population in Jackson Harbor is unemployed?
8. What kin did people in the Flats feel most obligated to?
9. Why did those in the Flats need cooperative support?
(a) To help each other.
(b) To survive.
(c) To gain kin.
(d) To make life easier.
10. How much money did the AFDC send Ruby to get a new couch?
11. What is a symbol of trust in the Flats?
(a) Large kin groups.
(b) Temporary child exchange.
(c) Getting to know new people.
(d) Helping others.
12. What does AFDC stand for?
(a) Aid to Families with Dependent Children.
(b) Aid to Fund Dependecy Collections.
(c) Area of Future Development Construction.
(d) All of Future Dependency Construction.
13. How did Stack protect the identities of those she interviewed?
(a) She changed their names.
(b) She left out important details.
(c) She made them up.
(d) She moved them to a different city.
14. What was the goal of the spokesmen in the Flats?
(a) To present a better image of themselves to the white community.
(b) To get assistance from the government.
(c) To enlighten others to their plight.
(d) To help their community.
15. What causes the poor to create ways to cope with circumstances out of their control?
(a) Their lack of resources.
(b) The white community.
(d) The nature of the American economy.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
2. How many years did Stack live in the Flats?
3. Why did Stack change names and locations in the book?
4. According to the US Census, what percent of white deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
5. According to Stack, what do most studies of the poor black communities not acknowledge?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)