|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Stack, what do most studies of black families compare themselves to?
(a) Mainstream society.
(b) The status quo.
(c) Their past culture.
(d) White families.
2. What is a symbol of trust in the Flats?
(a) Helping others.
(b) Temporary child exchange.
(c) Getting to know new people.
(d) Large kin groups.
3. What type of strategies was Stack studying in the Flats?
4. According to Stack, what do most studies of the poor black communities not acknowledge?
(a) Their resourcefulness.
(b) Their ingenuity.
(c) Their dependency on kin.
(d) Their ability to think outside the box.
5. How many other researchers had conducted studies in the Flats during the decade in which Stack conducted her study?
6. What connects Jackson Harbor to Chicago?
(a) A major rail line.
(b) A major highway.
(c) A gravel road.
(d) A neighborhood.
7. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
(a) Lack of jobs.
(b) Lack of education.
(c) Mainstream society.
(d) The government
8. What is a family with both a mother and father called?
9. Who did Ruby trade corn bread and greens with so that she could get milk and diapers?
(a) Joann Allen.
(b) Magnolia Waters.
(c) Virginia Thomas.
(d) Carol Stack.
10. How many assistants did Stack have helping her with her study?
11. According to the US Census, what percent of white deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
12. What parts of life in the Flats are completely intertwined?
(a) Economic and personal.
(b) Personal and professional.
(c) Social and economic.
(d) Family and social.
13. What was the age range of most of the adults Stack studied?
14. How often did kin exchange items and services?
(c) Daily, sometimes hourly.
15. How did people in the Flats increase their social circle?
(a) Making friends.
(b) Talking to new people.
(c) Helping others.
(d) Through swapping.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years had the Jacksons been in the Flats when Stack met them?
2. In the Flats kin feel a lot of pressure to help each other. Why is this?
3. Who wrote "Tomorrow's Tomorrow"?
4. According to the US Census, what percent of black deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
5. Who was the first family that Stack met in the Flats?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)