|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Stack meet the girl that introduced her to the families in the Flats?
(a) While doing laundry.
(b) At her university.
(c) In the grocery store.
(d) While babysitting for a friend.
2. Who did researchers usually establish their first contacts with?
(d) Leaders of the community.
3. How long did it take for Magnolia and Calvin Waters inheritance to be spent?
(a) Two months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) One and a half months.
4. Who did residents of the Flats refer to by their surnames?
(a) People outside the community.
(b) Their friends.
(c) Their social workers.
(d) Residents of the Flats.
5. What is the name of Stack's son?
6. Who was the first family that Stack met in the Flats?
(a) John and Sylvia Waters.
(b) Magnolia and Calvin Waters.
(c) Ruby and Otis Jackson.
(d) Leo and Viola Jackson.
7. What kin did people in the Flats feel most obligated to?
8. Where did the Waters family live before moving to the Flats?
(d) South Carolina.
9. What connects Jackson Harbor to Chicago?
(a) A neighborhood.
(b) A major highway.
(c) A major rail line.
(d) A gravel road.
10. How many assistants did Stack have helping her with her study?
11. How many years did Stack live in the Flats?
12. What is a family called when a mother is the head?
(b) Mother in charge.
(c) Mother run family.
13. In what decade did Stack begin her study?
14. How did people in the Flats refer to their friends and neighbors?
(a) By a nicknames.
(b) By their surnames.
(d) By their first names.
15. What is the population of Jackson Harbor?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stack, what do most studies of black families compare themselves to?
2. Who was the second family that Stack met in the Flats?
3. What percent of blacks live in unfit housing according to the US Census?
4. Who says that the culture of poverty is political in nature?
5. What causes the poor to create ways to cope with circumstances out of their control?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)