|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What didn't Ruby believe in?
(b) Having friends.
2. How many other researchers had conducted studies in the Flats during the decade in which Stack conducted her study?
3. How do those being studied in a community usually view a researcher?
(a) As family.
(b) As a teacher.
(c) As an outsider.
(d) As a friend.
4. When did Stack's book on the migration of blacks to the north get published?
5. Why do people in the Flats want to expand their group of kin?
(a) To be more social.
(b) To get a hand up.
(c) To gain friends.
(d) To have more people who are obligated to help them.
6. Why did those in the Flats need cooperative support?
(a) To gain kin.
(b) To make life easier.
(c) To help each other.
(d) To survive.
7. Why did Ruby Banks feel an obligation to always swap with her mother?
(a) Because it is her duty.
(b) Because she is family.
(c) Because her mother is needy.
(d) Because her mother is elderly.
8. What causes a necessity for exchanging things and services in the Flats?
9. How did Stack come in contact with the families she studied?
(a) By befriending children.
(b) She found them on her own.
(c) By holding a meet and greet.
(d) Through a young woman in the community.
10. What did those in the Flats usually call trading?
11. What parts of life in the Flats are completely intertwined?
(a) Social and economic.
(b) Economic and personal.
(c) Family and social.
(d) Personal and professional.
12. What type of jobs are typically available to those in the Flats?
(a) Low paying.
(d) Long term.
13. What does AFDC stand for?
(a) Aid to Fund Dependecy Collections.
(b) Aid to Families with Dependent Children.
(c) Area of Future Development Construction.
(d) All of Future Dependency Construction.
14. What was Julia's cousin's name?
15. How were those who claimed to be the black leaders of the Flats viewed in their community?
(b) As very important.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the necessary income for a family of four in Jackson Harbor?
2. Who did researchers usually establish their first contacts with?
3. What is a symbol of trust in the Flats?
4. What connects Jackson Harbor to Chicago?
5. What was the main goal of the black activist organization in the Flats?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)