|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Stack's son?
2. What percent of blacks live in unfit housing according to the US Census?
3. According to Stack, what do most studies of the poor black communities not acknowledge?
(a) Their dependency on kin.
(b) Their resourcefulness.
(c) Their ability to think outside the box.
(d) Their ingenuity.
4. Who did researchers usually establish their first contacts with?
(d) Leaders of the community.
5. In the Flats kin feel a lot of pressure to help each other. Why is this?
(a) They are viewed as greedy if they don't.
(b) It is necessary to survive.
(c) Because of the kins neediness.
(d) Because of their relationship.
6. What was the most common thing those in the black community experienced when interacting with a white person?
(b) They were looked down on.
(d) Unfair treatment.
7. Who wrote "Tomorrow's Tomorrow"?
(a) John Adams.
(b) Carol Stack.
(c) Joyce Ladner.
(d) Elliot Stickler.
8. Who says that the culture of poverty is political in nature?
(a) Carol Stack.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Elliott Stickler.
(d) Hylan Lewis.
9. How were those who claimed to be the black leaders of the Flats viewed in their community?
(a) As very important.
10. How many children do the Jacksons have?
11. What is the Jackson family's average income?
12. What kin did people in the Flats feel most obligated to?
13. What causes a necessity for exchanging things and services in the Flats?
14. Why did Ruby Banks feel an obligation to always swap with her mother?
(a) Because it is her duty.
(b) Because her mother is elderly.
(c) Because she is family.
(d) Because her mother is needy.
15. What does the relationship of a researcher and his subjects resemble?
(a) Oppressor and oppressed.
(d) Teacher and student.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stack call the inability to understand and research?
2. How did Stack protect the identities of those she interviewed?
3. What was the main goal of the black activist organization in the Flats?
4. What is the title of William Ryan's book?
5. In what year did Stack begin her study?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)