|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Viola Jackson's job?
2. In what year did Stack begin her study?
3. What affects a person's perception?
(b) Their upbringing.
(c) Their intelligence.
4. Why did Stack change names and locations in the book?
(a) Because they asked her too.
(b) To keep them from getting kicked off welfare.
(c) To protect them from the mainstream.
(d) To protect identities.
5. How often did kin exchange items and services?
(c) Daily, sometimes hourly.
6. How many years had the Jacksons been in the Flats when Stack met them?
7. What are 63% of the black citizens in Jackson Harbor employed as?
(a) Service workers.
(c) Maintenance workers.
8. What was the main goal of the black activist organization in the Flats?
(a) To prevent biased research studies.
(b) To take care of the children.
(c) To prevent discrimination.
(d) To protect the people of the community.
9. What does William Ryan say causes the deterioration of most black families?
(a) Lack of resources.
(b) The nature of the American economy.
(c) Economic stress and discrimination.
10. Where did Stack meet the girl that introduced her to the families in the Flats?
(a) While doing laundry.
(b) At her university.
(c) In the grocery store.
(d) While babysitting for a friend.
11. What percentage of Jackson Harbor's population is black?
12. According to Stack, what common belief do most studies of blacks reinforce?
(a) The status quo.
(b) That they are unwilling to get ahead in life.
(c) That they are unreliable.
(d) Popular stereotypes.
13. Why did Ruby Banks feel an obligation to always swap with her mother?
(a) Because she is family.
(b) Because her mother is needy.
(c) Because her mother is elderly.
(d) Because it is her duty.
14. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
(a) The government
(b) Mainstream society.
(c) Lack of jobs.
(d) Lack of education.
15. Who did Stack want to establish contact with?
(a) Poor families.
(b) Single men.
(c) Men in power.
(d) Single women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Tomorrow's Tomorrow"?
2. What kin did people in the Flats feel most obligated to?
3. What is the Jackson family's average income?
4. When did Stack's book on the migration of blacks to the north get published?
5. What is the necessary income for a family of four in Jackson Harbor?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)