|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the necessary income for a family of four in Jackson Harbor?
2. How did Stack come in contact with the families she studied?
(a) By holding a meet and greet.
(b) Through a young woman in the community.
(c) By befriending children.
(d) She found them on her own.
3. How do those being studied in a community usually view a researcher?
(a) As a friend.
(b) As a teacher.
(c) As an outsider.
(d) As family.
4. Who wrote the book "Method and Measurement in Sociology"?
5. According to Stack, what do most studies of black families compare themselves to?
(a) White families.
(b) The status quo.
(c) Their past culture.
(d) Mainstream society.
6. What is the name of Stack's son?
7. How was Stack's car a hindrance to her?
(a) It caused the families to become dependent on her.
(b) It was unreliable.
(c) It was dangerous.
(d) It broke down constantly.
8. Who did Stack want to establish contact with?
(a) Men in power.
(b) Single women.
(c) Single men.
(d) Poor families.
9. Why do people in the Flats want to expand their group of kin?
(a) To be more social.
(b) To have more people who are obligated to help them.
(c) To get a hand up.
(d) To gain friends.
10. What is the Jackson family's average income?
11. What percentage of the black population in Jackson Harbor is unemployed?
12. What does William Ryan say causes the deterioration of most black families?
(b) Economic stress and discrimination.
(c) Lack of resources.
(d) The nature of the American economy.
13. What type of people did researchers establish contact with?
(b) Men in power.
(c) Women in power.
(d) Leaders of the community.
14. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
15. What is Leo Jackson's job?
(a) Hod carrier.
(b) Truck driver.
(d) Construction worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the age range of most of the adults Stack studied?
2. How many assistants did Stack have helping her with her study?
3. How does the US Census classify Jackson Harbor?
4. What does AFDC stand for?
5. Who says that the culture of poverty is political in nature?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)