|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the population of Jackson Harbor?
2. What is a family called when a mother is the head?
(a) Mother run family.
(b) Mother in charge.
3. What percent of blacks live in unfit housing according to the US Census?
4. What kin did people in the Flats feel most obligated to?
5. What type of jobs are typically available to those in the Flats?
(a) Long term.
(d) Low paying.
6. Why did Stack change names and locations in the book?
(a) To protect them from the mainstream.
(b) To protect identities.
(c) Because they asked her too.
(d) To keep them from getting kicked off welfare.
7. How were people who refused to swap viewed?
8. According to Stack, what do most studies of black families compare themselves to?
(a) White families.
(b) Their past culture.
(c) The status quo.
(d) Mainstream society.
9. Who were welfare benefits designed to help?
(a) Women and children.
10. According to the US Census what percent of blacks live in deteriorating housing?
11. How much of the AFDC money did Ruby give her mom?
12. How did people in the Flats increase their social circle?
(a) Talking to new people.
(b) Making friends.
(c) Helping others.
(d) Through swapping.
13. What was the goal of the spokesmen in the Flats?
(a) To enlighten others to their plight.
(b) To get assistance from the government.
(c) To present a better image of themselves to the white community.
(d) To help their community.
14. What type of strategies was Stack studying in the Flats?
15. In the Flats kin feel a lot of pressure to help each other. Why is this?
(a) Because of their relationship.
(b) Because of the kins neediness.
(c) It is necessary to survive.
(d) They are viewed as greedy if they don't.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Waters family live before moving to the Flats?
2. What parts of life in the Flats are completely intertwined?
3. Who wrote the book "Method and Measurement in Sociology"?
4. What was the most common thing those in the black community experienced when interacting with a white person?
5. According to Stack, what common belief do most studies of blacks reinforce?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)