|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Stack's car a hindrance to her?
(a) It broke down constantly.
(b) It was unreliable.
(c) It was dangerous.
(d) It caused the families to become dependent on her.
2. What did those in the Flats usually call trading?
3. What connects Jackson Harbor to Chicago?
(a) A gravel road.
(b) A major highway.
(c) A major rail line.
(d) A neighborhood.
4. What type of strategies was Stack studying in the Flats?
5. Who was the first family that Stack met in the Flats?
(a) Ruby and Otis Jackson.
(b) John and Sylvia Waters.
(c) Leo and Viola Jackson.
(d) Magnolia and Calvin Waters.
6. Who did researchers usually establish their first contacts with?
(b) Leaders of the community.
7. What was Julia's cousin's name?
8. What does the relationship of a researcher and his subjects resemble?
(a) Teacher and student.
(d) Oppressor and oppressed.
9. How were those who claimed to be the black leaders of the Flats viewed in their community?
(a) As very important.
10. What didn't Ruby believe in?
(d) Having friends.
11. When did Stack's book on the migration of blacks to the north get published?
12. What is a family called when a mother is the head?
(a) Mother run family.
(d) Mother in charge.
13. In what decade did Stack begin her study?
14. How does the US Census classify Jackson Harbor?
(a) Poor area.
(b) Small community.
(c) Urbanized area.
15. According to Stack, what do most studies of the poor black communities not acknowledge?
(a) Their resourcefulness.
(b) Their ingenuity.
(c) Their ability to think outside the box.
(d) Their dependency on kin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
2. Who did residents of the Flats refer to by their surnames?
3. In what year did Stack begin her study?
4. What did Ruby do with the rest of the AFDC money?
5. According to Stack's findings, at what age do most blacks no longer have most of their original teeth?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)