|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the relationship of a researcher and his subjects resemble?
(a) Oppressor and oppressed.
(b) Teacher and student.
2. How does the US Census classify Jackson Harbor?
(a) Poor area.
(b) Small community.
(c) Urbanized area.
3. What does Stack call the inability to understand and research?
(c) Failure to understand.
(d) Lack of ability.
4. Who did residents of the Flats refer to by their surnames?
(a) Their friends.
(b) Their social workers.
(c) Residents of the Flats.
(d) People outside the community.
5. What is a family with both a mother and father called?
6. What percent of blacks live in unfit housing according to the US Census?
7. Who wrote "The Souls of Black Folk"?
(a) John Goodnough.
(b) John. Allen.
(c) W.E.B. DuBois.
(d) Carol Stack.
8. How did people in the Flats refer to their friends and neighbors?
(a) By a nicknames.
(b) By their first names.
(c) By their surnames.
9. What parts of life in the Flats are completely intertwined?
(a) Family and social.
(b) Economic and personal.
(c) Personal and professional.
(d) Social and economic.
10. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
(a) Mainstream society.
(b) Lack of education.
(c) The government
(d) Lack of jobs.
11. According to the US Census, what percent of white deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
12. What are 63% of the black citizens in Jackson Harbor employed as?
(a) Service workers.
(b) Maintenance workers.
13. In what decade did Stack begin her study?
14. What was the most common thing those in the black community experienced when interacting with a white person?
(b) Unfair treatment.
(c) They were looked down on.
15. What is Viola Jackson's job?
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the person that Ruby traded corn bread and greens with related to her?
2. What is the Jackson family's average income?
3. What causes a necessity for exchanging things and services in the Flats?
4. What does AFDC stand for?
5. What is a family called when a mother is the head?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)