|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do those being studied in a community usually view a researcher?
(a) As family.
(b) As an outsider.
(c) As a teacher.
(d) As a friend.
2. Who did researchers usually establish their first contacts with?
(a) Leaders of the community.
3. What does the relationship of a researcher and his subjects resemble?
(a) Oppressor and oppressed.
(d) Teacher and student.
4. What didn't Ruby believe in?
(a) Having friends.
5. What affects a person's perception?
(a) Their intelligence.
(d) Their upbringing.
6. How many years did Stack live in the Flats?
7. What was the main goal of the black activist organization in the Flats?
(a) To prevent biased research studies.
(b) To protect the people of the community.
(c) To take care of the children.
(d) To prevent discrimination.
8. Who was the first family that Stack met in the Flats?
(a) Magnolia and Calvin Waters.
(b) Ruby and Otis Jackson.
(c) Leo and Viola Jackson.
(d) John and Sylvia Waters.
9. How were people who refused to swap viewed?
10. Where did the Waters family live before moving to the Flats?
(d) South Carolina.
11. What type of jobs are typically available to those in the Flats?
(a) Low paying.
(c) Long term.
12. How many other researchers had conducted studies in the Flats during the decade in which Stack conducted her study?
13. According to the US Census, what percent of black deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
14. How did people in the Flats increase their social circle?
(a) Making friends.
(b) Through swapping.
(c) Helping others.
(d) Talking to new people.
15. Who wrote the book "Method and Measurement in Sociology"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What parts of life in the Flats are completely intertwined?
2. Who did Ruby trade corn bread and greens with so that she could get milk and diapers?
3. Why did Ruby Banks feel an obligation to always swap with her mother?
4. Why did Stack change names and locations in the book?
5. What is the population of Jackson Harbor?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)