|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the poor to create ways to cope with circumstances out of their control?
(a) The white community.
(c) The nature of the American economy.
(d) Their lack of resources.
2. How many assistants did Stack have helping her with her study?
3. How often did kin exchange items and services?
(d) Daily, sometimes hourly.
4. What does Stack call the inability to understand and research?
(b) Failure to understand.
(c) Lack of ability.
5. What is the title of William Ryan's book?
(a) The Role of Blacks as Victims.
(b) Victims in Charge.
(c) Blaming the Victim.
(d) The Blame Game.
6. What does the relationship of a researcher and his subjects resemble?
(a) Oppressor and oppressed.
(d) Teacher and student.
7. How many families was Stack introduced to in the beginning of her study?
8. According to the US Census, what percent of white deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
9. What did Ruby do with the rest of the AFDC money?
(a) Wash clothes.
(b) Buy food.
(c) Buy a couch.
(d) Buy new clothes.
10. Who wrote "The Souls of Black Folk"?
(a) John. Allen.
(b) Carol Stack.
(c) John Goodnough.
(d) W.E.B. DuBois.
11. How old was Julia?
12. According to Stack, what common belief do most studies of blacks reinforce?
(a) Popular stereotypes.
(b) That they are unwilling to get ahead in life.
(c) The status quo.
(d) That they are unreliable.
13. Why did Ruby Banks feel an obligation to always swap with her mother?
(a) Because her mother is elderly.
(b) Because it is her duty.
(c) Because she is family.
(d) Because her mother is needy.
14. Why do people in the Flats want to expand their group of kin?
(a) To get a hand up.
(b) To be more social.
(c) To gain friends.
(d) To have more people who are obligated to help them.
15. What percentage of the black population in Jackson Harbor is unemployed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What connects Jackson Harbor to Chicago?
2. According to the US Census what percent of blacks live in deteriorating housing?
3. According to the US Census, what percent of black deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
4. What parts of life in the Flats are completely intertwined?
5. In the Flats kin feel a lot of pressure to help each other. Why is this?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)