|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the second family that Stack met in the Flats?
(a) Magnolia and Calvin Waters.
(b) Leo and Viola Jackson.
(c) Ruby and Otis Jackson.
(d) John and Sylvia Waters
2. Why did those in the Flats need cooperative support?
(a) To make life easier.
(b) To gain kin.
(c) To help each other.
(d) To survive.
3. What is Viola Jackson's job?
4. How often did kin exchange items and services?
(d) Daily, sometimes hourly.
5. What didn't Ruby believe in?
(b) Having friends.
6. What percentage of Jackson Harbor's population is black?
7. What is the title of William Ryan's book?
(a) Victims in Charge.
(b) The Blame Game.
(c) The Role of Blacks as Victims.
(d) Blaming the Victim.
8. Where did Stack meet the girl that introduced her to the families in the Flats?
(a) At her university.
(b) While doing laundry.
(c) While babysitting for a friend.
(d) In the grocery store.
9. Why did Stack change names and locations in the book?
(a) To protect identities.
(b) To keep them from getting kicked off welfare.
(c) To protect them from the mainstream.
(d) Because they asked her too.
10. According to the US Census, what percent of white deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
11. What parts of life in the Flats are completely intertwined?
(a) Economic and personal.
(b) Family and social.
(c) Personal and professional.
(d) Social and economic.
12. How were those who claimed to be the black leaders of the Flats viewed in their community?
(a) As very important.
13. How many years had the Jacksons been in the Flats when Stack met them?
14. Who said that without the help of kin a family may not be able to survive?
15. Who did Ruby trade corn bread and greens with so that she could get milk and diapers?
(a) Joann Allen.
(b) Magnolia Waters.
(c) Carol Stack.
(d) Virginia Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were welfare benefits designed to help?
2. In what part of the country is the Flats located?
3. Who wrote "The Souls of Black Folk"?
4. How many years did Stack live in the Flats?
5. How long did it take for Magnolia and Calvin Waters inheritance to be spent?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)