|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
(a) Mainstream society.
(b) The government
(c) Lack of jobs.
(d) Lack of education.
2. How did people in the Flats refer to their friends and neighbors?
(b) By a nicknames.
(c) By their first names.
(d) By their surnames.
3. What does Stack call the inability to understand and research?
(a) Failure to understand.
(d) Lack of ability.
4. How long did it take for Magnolia and Calvin Waters inheritance to be spent?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One and a half months.
5. According to the US Census what percent of blacks live in deteriorating housing?
6. Who was the second family that Stack met in the Flats?
(a) Ruby and Otis Jackson.
(b) Leo and Viola Jackson.
(c) Magnolia and Calvin Waters.
(d) John and Sylvia Waters
7. How often did kin exchange items and services?
(b) Daily, sometimes hourly.
8. Why did Stack change names and locations in the book?
(a) To keep them from getting kicked off welfare.
(b) To protect identities.
(c) Because they asked her too.
(d) To protect them from the mainstream.
9. Who did Ruby trade corn bread and greens with so that she could get milk and diapers?
(a) Joann Allen.
(b) Magnolia Waters.
(c) Virginia Thomas.
(d) Carol Stack.
10. What is Leo Jackson's job?
(a) Hod carrier.
(b) Construction worker.
(d) Truck driver.
11. How did Stack come in contact with the families she studied?
(a) By befriending children.
(b) By holding a meet and greet.
(c) Through a young woman in the community.
(d) She found them on her own.
12. What was the age range of most of the adults Stack studied?
13. What was Julia's cousin's name?
14. What is the Jackson family's average income?
15. How was Stack's car a hindrance to her?
(a) It was dangerous.
(b) It was unreliable.
(c) It broke down constantly.
(d) It caused the families to become dependent on her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did Stack live in the Flats?
2. What was the main goal of the black activist organization in the Flats?
3. What is another term for welfare?
4. How much of the AFDC money did Ruby give her mom?
5. Who did Stack want to establish contact with?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)