|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ruby Banks feel an obligation to always swap with her mother?
(a) Because it is her duty.
(b) Because she is family.
(c) Because her mother is needy.
(d) Because her mother is elderly.
2. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
3. How did Stack come in contact with the families she studied?
(a) By holding a meet and greet.
(b) Through a young woman in the community.
(c) She found them on her own.
(d) By befriending children.
4. According to the US Census, what percent of white deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
5. In what year did Stack begin her study?
6. Why do people in the Flats want to expand their group of kin?
(a) To have more people who are obligated to help them.
(b) To gain friends.
(c) To get a hand up.
(d) To be more social.
7. What is a family with both a mother and father called?
8. What is Viola Jackson's job?
9. How did people in the Flats increase their social circle?
(a) Helping others.
(b) Through swapping.
(c) Talking to new people.
(d) Making friends.
10. How much money did the AFDC send Ruby to get a new couch?
11. How much of the AFDC money did Ruby give her mom?
12. What is a family called when a mother is the head?
(b) Mother run family.
(c) Mother in charge.
13. What affects a person's perception?
(b) Their intelligence.
(c) Their upbringing.
14. What kin did people in the Flats feel most obligated to?
15. How do those being studied in a community usually view a researcher?
(a) As an outsider.
(b) As family.
(c) As a teacher.
(d) As a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did researchers usually establish their first contacts with?
2. When did Stack's book on the migration of blacks to the north get published?
3. What percentage of Jackson Harbor's population is black?
4. What causes a necessity for exchanging things and services in the Flats?
5. Why did Stack change names and locations in the book?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)