|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "The Souls of Black Folk"?
(a) Carol Stack.
(b) W.E.B. DuBois.
(c) John Goodnough.
(d) John. Allen.
2. According to the US Census, what percent of black deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
3. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
(a) Mainstream society.
(b) Lack of education.
(c) The government
(d) Lack of jobs.
4. What percent of blacks live in unfit housing according to the US Census?
5. What percentage of the black population in Jackson Harbor is unemployed?
6. In what decade did Stack begin her study?
7. How did people in the Flats increase their social circle?
(a) Talking to new people.
(b) Helping others.
(c) Through swapping.
(d) Making friends.
8. What type of people did researchers establish contact with?
(b) Women in power.
(c) Men in power.
(d) Leaders of the community.
9. How does the US Census classify Jackson Harbor?
(a) Small community.
(c) Urbanized area.
(d) Poor area.
10. What was the most common thing those in the black community experienced when interacting with a white person?
(c) Unfair treatment.
(d) They were looked down on.
11. Who did residents of the Flats refer to by their surnames?
(a) Their friends.
(b) Their social workers.
(c) Residents of the Flats.
(d) People outside the community.
12. In what year did Stack begin her study?
13. According to the US Census, what percent of white deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
14. What does the relationship of a researcher and his subjects resemble?
(a) Oppressor and oppressed.
(c) Teacher and student.
15. What causes a necessity for exchanging things and services in the Flats?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a family with both a mother and father called?
2. Who was the second family that Stack met in the Flats?
3. What is the Jackson family's average income?
4. What was the goal of the spokesmen in the Flats?
5. What was the age range of most of the adults Stack studied?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)